League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
That or he doesn't know there's a movespeed (soft) cap, although I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The enchantment bugs haven't been fixed yet?

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ya there's a soft movement speed cap for all movement speed acquired higher than 415:
The raw speed between 415 and 490 gets multiplied by 80%.
The raw speed over 490 gets multiplied by 50%.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of hauling to Gold, I wonder if I can make it by the end of the season. Currently in Silver 1 with 67 LP. Might go full ham tomorrow to make it. Wish me luck.

Oh and Ill need someone during my promotional games. EspyOwner is banned from Lissandra, though...

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Will pay for carry to Gold.

I have had about 3-4 games that were just godawful. Not saying I wasn't partially to blame on some of them but let's say a situation like this happened:

Karma - "Let's work together as a team"

2 min later Rengar appears at red and I'm pinging for help. Well Morgana came at least.

And another minute later Zed and Blitzcrank join Rengar.

She was facing Zed. And didn't even inch towards me. Once.

Fuck. This. Shit.

Will pay for carry to Gold.

I have had about 3-4 games that were just godawful. Not saying I wasn't partially to blame on some of them but let's say a situation like this happened:

Karma - "Let's work together as a team"

2 min later Rengar appears at red and I'm pinging for help. Well Morgana came at least.

And another minute later Zed and Blitzcrank join Rengar.

She was facing Zed. And didn't even inch towards me. Once.

Fuck. This. Shit.
how much $$$ are we talking here

and can you deal with teammates raging? idk why but my team is always mad

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Alright, explain the Yi concept to me. I know it's Cowsep style, but is it nothing but a powerfarm game or are there occasional ganks?

Also do you do Madreds / Spirit Stone to Wriggles? Then do you just aim towards Youmu's / BotRK or is there variance to it?

I powerfarm the figure 8 method. I get 4 health pots to speed up my feral flare stacks. I stay in my jungle for two clears if I can. I gank whenever there is an opportunity to to get fed, only if its worth it - meaning our team is guaranteed 1-2 kills. I try to look for a coup de grace opportunity with Yi. It usually happens at a dragon fight and you can kill 2-3 guys sometimes and get dragon. I rush Phantom Dancer after Feral Flare and Berserker Greaves. Not the biggest fan of Tabi or Merc Treads since you delay your power spikes with those, and you need to carry the team on your back after ignoring them for a decent amount of time. I like Bloodthirster since running out of the jungle with a huge shield is powerful and it synergizes with feral flare, meditate, and a defensive item or 2 if you decide to go bruiser. 20% Lifesteal is extremely helpful instead of 10%.

Master Yi hits his attack speed Cap really easily. He only needs 105 attack speed at full build due to Frenzy, Fury, and 29% from runes due to getting a free 80% from Highlander. Yi scales extremely well from the crit/movement speed from Phantom Dancer. It gives you the most attack speed out of any one item after Feral and Boots making your post Feral Flare game really strong. You give up Ruined King's lifesteal, but you get more damage with a full stacked Feral Flare. The benefit to rushing Crit also helps you if you get extremely fed. Occasionally I would skip Bloodthirster and go right into Infinity Edge. Extra AD is nice for more true damage.

http://www.lolpro.com/season-4/1506-mastery-calculator#3qTZ38vM2HQX

I like 21-9-0 on Yi since he goes hard and it synergizes with BT. Warlord is nice for burst, baron solo, and it isn't as win-more as the weavings. I like Warlord for bursting someone down quick and getting the reset. Good for pushing inhibitors faster. Warlord scales your true damage too. I use Legendary Armor because sometimes I think making a defensive item or two is neccessary to survive vs tankier teams. It compounds with scaling armor and magic resist runes. I don't like Block since he is in the jungle too long and that is the same reason why I like Bladed Armor. Wouldn't use Attack Speed Glyphs since I feel like they are a waste here.

I like Teleport but Ghost, Cleanse, and Flash are viable too. I think Ghost is better than Flash, but Flash is broken and it is extra good with Ghostblade and Ruined King. Vs CC you can use Cleanse with Yi and just cheese through it. Pretty stupid in a lot of scenarios.

Bloodthirster is suprisingly nice if you have a Randuins Omen and Banshee's Veil. I feel like Yi gets so much free damage, vs squisher teams it is better to just three shot squishies with Phantom Dancer.

Berserker Greaves | Bloodthirster | Infinity Edge | Feral Flare | Phantom Dancer | Defensive Item or Last Whisper - Bloodthirster is basically your Merc Treads or Tabi with the extra lifesteal. Vs Squishy teams, I don't get Last Whisper. If my team is winning and we have enough frontline, I don't get a defensive item.

Berserker Greaves | Bloodthirster | Phantom Dancer | Feral Flare | 2 defensive items. - Bruiser Yi is deceptively tanky with Meditate, Feral, BT, and Dangerous Game resets. I generally go with the previous build though.

I don't use Spirit Stone because I don't like putting 700 gold into it. I like rushing strictly Lantern for the gold and so I don't delay damage. Yi isn't neccessarily weak after level 6 unless your team fed a bunch of kills. So staying in your jungle with a Spirit Stone all day is just not for me. I get Feral Flare at 14 minutes. Sometimes a little quicker or slower depending on how fed I get.

I don't like Ruined King + Ghost Blade since it is inefficient attack speed wise later on with Berserker Greaves and it delays power spikes. I find it better to rush actual damage on Yi.
Playing Yi that way is more than just viable though, so play to your preference and use whatever you like. Yi can split push or hard carry, so even if you go no defensive stuff on Yi you can kind of chess them out and out rotate them.

I feel like Ruined King is an item which is better when you are winning due to the Lifesteal nerf. I don't like how its damage diminishes against guys who build armor when their health is low and you just want them to die right away for the reset or to survive and get out because you know the enemy team is coming.

Look for Dragon opportunities constantly and responsibly. Dragon is a great contribution to your team while staying in your jungle. I max Meditate second since Yi is very frail and is easy to punish. Meditating baiting in mid game and guaranteeing a reset is really good.

-----

This is just how I like to play Yi. It is how I win consistently in normals with him vs silvers and golds. Diamonds and Plats are prone to getting stomped vs fed champions like Yi too. Doesn't mean this way is best, just wanted to share my thoughts and playstyle.

Ranking with Yi is harder. It is difficult to first pick him since I think he is a champion who needs to take advantage of a later pick. Otherwise he gets counterpicked and I think the reward is just higher if someone safer like Jarvan or Maokai was taken. Use in ranked at your own risk. People tend to rage a lot more while you powerfarm the jungle due to stress there.

Last edited:
i'm assuming you mean you start with 1 health pot instead of 4 to speed up your flare, since starting with 1 lets you buy madred's + dagger on your first back without having to wait for gold

i really don't like warlord in general, especially if you're not stacking that much AD on yi - the points in expose weakness / spell weaving / blade weaving are much more bang for your buck. assuming you only have 60-70 bonus AD, you're only getting an additional 3 AD from warlord

don't get enchanted armor since the 2 damage reduction from block is more likely to be useful than the sliver of additional armor / MR you gain during meditate; also bladed armor can be annoying when you're trying to donate buffs to laners which is why a lot of junglers avoid it altogether in favor of unyielding (more damage reduction)

the reason that bork rush is so popular after flare is its chasing ability and the extra bit of burst you get (but mainly the chasing ability); youmuu's is also popular for this reason but is doubly useful in that it's excellent for split pushing. lategame yi is all about split pushing (especially if enemies have a lot of CC) and using highlander / youmuu's / passive to shred towers before enemies can even react

this is why yi is so strong in solo queue - he doesn't rely on getting fed early and killing everyone, he relies on enemy teams never having the coordination to be able to deal with a splitpushing yi in the endgame

I usually go B when I run out of mana or blue buff. I don't want to waste time when there are so many jungle minions close by. I get 4 pots and I usually put my 3rd point in Meditate. I like to teamfight with Yi more than I split push so I can carry people who need it. If my teammates don't need it, I split push more. Youmous is extra good. I forgot to mention that point. The CC on Ruined King is undoubtedly good for chasing since you don't have to put yourself into as much danger by overextending + guys who have some sort of movement speed buff or Flash. Helps you turret dive too.

I think the harder the opponents Yi fights against, the more important split pushing is. Since less people give free kills to a Yi.

I agree with not using Warlord if you are using Ruined King. Another cool thing about Expose Weakness is that it synergizes with Blade of the Ruined King too.

Good post. Let me know what else that you think so I can learn more. You are one of the people who showed me what the figure 8 method was so I think you have good insight.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I feel that is why I cant really use Yi in ranked - laners kind of get ticked when you dont gank as a jungler (and to a point rightfully so) and it seems like everyone expects the jungler to bail out losing lanes. Which peeves me slightly because junglers should be helping the winning lanes crush more and support losing lanes if there arent many other choices. It is probably why I prefer Jarvan and, to an extent, Vi.

Still I tried doing this route today - it kind of worked but I didnt add properly to get Madreds + Spirit Stone (total cost of 1150):

- 1 Pot / Machete
- Madreds / either Spirit Stone or just Dagger
- Wriggles
- Berserker Greaves

And thats where I get lost. I have tried sitting on Bilgewater then go towards Youmnus but it seems less effective after they nerfed the Lifesteal on Bilgewater.

I know sometimes Cowsep went for Trinity Force and I have seen occasional Infinity Edges weaved in there. I presume those are mostly if Yi teamfights?

People need to learn how to win lane on their own. They just like to blame the jungler and not that their mechanics are not strong enough to crush the enemy top laner. Matchups and being camped matter to an extent but the jungler has a lot of important things to do.

I had a Gold 1 Darius lose to a Gold IV Renekton without the latter getting a gank. The Darius died 6 times in lane and kept on feeding. He blamed me because I was power farming and called me bad. 10 minutes later I promptly stomped the game and carried it. Then he was much nicer to me.

Jarvan IV is an excellent champ, super strong. I have trouble using him. His skillshot is hard for me. Do you like to go 21-9-0 on him or 9-21-0 on him while jungling?

I think Yi should generally build one item at a time due to all the free gold he gets. I don't like the idea of Youmou being the first big item since Ruined King gives you more actual damage. Especially against the champs which build Giants Belt, Face of the Mountain etc. The Armor Penetration is best when it gives you a huge power spike with Ruined King.

Trinity Force is a nice filler in some scenarios. It adds to burst and sheen can break turrets a bit quicker. I think Infinity Edge should be used if you want to shred turrets faster due to the raw AD it provides. Although it is expensive so you need an alterior motive for buying it such as teamfighting or being fed. Bloodthirster can shred turrets quicker than Ruined King, but Ruined King does a lot of things better too. It lets you beat the Dragons faster and I think it makes you harder to itemize against.

I used to really like Statikk Shiv for burst and the crit chance vs squishies. Armor Penetration scales better with Feral Flare and health stackers though. I think a Ninja Tabi + Zephyr build of Yi might be viable but I haven't given it too much thought.

I remember before Feral Flare existed, Hydra + Shiv used to be a pretty cool Yi build with the AOE. Pretty much fell off the map for more consistent options. I still like it sometimes.

I like this Yi player. http://www.solomid.net/guide/view/125484-masteryi-build-guide-jungle-by-gg-hanitz

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
On Jarvan I go 21/9/0. Jarvan has a huge early game aggression thanks to the passive buff and his already powerful EQ combo. These can almost guarantee a Flash or kill if done properly. I usually do Attack Damage quints, Armor seals, MR/Level Glyphs, and APen reds. I have also tried doing CDR glyphs with flat MR. This works decently too. You can also do Attack Damage reds since Jarvan heavily excels early and mid game.

I feel the flaw with Bloodthirster is the new one is absolutely trash in my opinion. Definitely would agree old Bloodthirster can be a better rush sometimes since not all teams consist of heavy health stacking comps. New one just seems like shit in comparison to BotRK.

I forgot about Zephyr. It is a pretty nice item for Yi. I dont know why I forget it so often but I do.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Bladed Armor doesn't kill monsters anymore. I would still take Unyielding over it 1-for-1 but unfortunately Block is trash on a jungler, so it effectively costs you three points and isn't worth picking up at that point. Warlord is meh but I'm not sure Spell/Blade Weaving are any better on Yi, who only has one damaging spell (to utilize the former and stack the latter), so meh whatever.

Ghostblade itself is the best short-term asskicking item and GB + BotRK is the best duelist build in the game with its double actives. Can't go wrong with a bunch of movespeed on a melee autoattacker either. Shiv > PD if you're going another route and you really don't even need Last Whisper on Yi, especially with how much non-physical damage he sneakily puts out if you have Flare + Shiv (aside Wuju Style active).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)