np: XY OU Suspect Testing Round 6 - Wrecking Ball [Read Post 423 for Posting etiquette]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what a check is? If I bring out Mega Charizard Y (just one example of a check, there are many others) against Mega Mawile after Mawile took out one of my pokes, that is a check. If Mega Mawile is going to hit Charizard Y, he must use Sucker Punch, which won't OHKO. Charizard Y then hits with a sun boosted STAB flamethrower/fire blast and Mawile is dead. Charizard Y doesn't have to check again.
Who is going to keep mawile in on that? No one. If you are bringing in Y after a sack then you will have to sack a lot of pokes to keep Y healthy. If you bring Y in on even a resisted PR, it is going to take a considerable amount of damage and will have trouble switching in again and not dying to a possibly +2 PR and sucker punch. My point is, mawile will weaken Y so much that it can be killed by a teammate or mawile itself, causing your check to die

Last edited:
Who is going to keep mawile in on that? No one. If you are bringing in Y after a sack then you will have to sack a lot of pokes to keep Y healthy. If you bring Y in on even a resisted PR, it is going to take a considerable amount of damage and will have trouble switching in again and not dying to a possibly +2 PR and sucker punch. My point is, mawile will weaken Y so much that it can be killed by a teammate or mawile itself, causing your check to die
There are so many common checks and counters it isn't even funny, use heatran on a swords dance and its a goner but if its sub-punch just use mega venusaur. Overall Mega mawile has a load of counters in lower tiers. People don't use them thought, wanna know why? Because mega mawile doenst make that big an impact that you'd bring something from uu even if its really good up. Mega mawile gets beaten majority of the time if it uses swords dance or sub-punch by every day pokemon. Also nothing is really over centralizing to beat mega mawile, people ran psychic thundurus for example for mega venusaur or zapdos for mega pinsir. What came up to beat mega mawile? Nothing, because we don't need another counter in ou that badly. If we did there is mew, arcanine, qwilfish or a unique set like infiltrater will o wisp chandelure, nobody will run it though because nobody will need it.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lol since when does 'check' = 'pokemon who can switch in after another dies and ohko' -- That's revenge killing.
A check is a Pokemon who can come in on *not all* attacks and OHKO the pokemon / force a switch. Think of it as a soft counter. Let's stop arguing over the meaning of things now that we've cleared that up. I'm sure ginganinja will infract for anyone attempting to derail this thread with semantics.

There are so many common checks and counters it isn't even funny, use heatran on a swords dance and its a goner but if its sub-punch just use mega venusaur. Overall Mega mawile has a load of counters in lower tiers. People don't use them thought, wanna know why? Because mega mawile doenst make that big an impact that you'd bring something from uu even if its really good up. Mega mawile gets beaten majority of the time if it uses swords dance or sub-punch by every day pokemon. Also nothing is really over centralizing to beat mega mawile, people ran psychic thundurus for example for mega venusaur or zapdos for mega pinsir. What came up to beat mega mawile? Nothing, because we don't need another counter in ou that badly. If we did there is mew, arcanine, qwilfish or a unique set like infiltrater will o wisp chandelure, nobody will run it though because nobody will need it.
No--nobody will run that because they're awful in OU outside of handling Mawile. They are literally the definition of niche counters, and we have ban precedent for forcing such things. This goes back to the "Kyogre argument": why don't we just let Kyogre in OU since Gastrodon counters it? Just because it HAS checks and counters has nothing to do with whether or not it is broken.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Soooo, I'm reading some of these anti ban arguments....and this one is the only one that popped out cause it sort of made sense.

About the posts above me with ;lmlm and Espurr's_Eye.
By that same logic, using a simple VenuTran core would completely wall Mawile. People keep talking like Mawile can simply choose what counters it mid battle- it doesnt take much to determine whether or not a subPunch set is used.

On that note, saying, "just use _______ with _______" is a bit of a fallacy. We're testing mega mawile, not a mawile-kyurem core.
I stated this in my first post on this thread and I know some others have mentioned it as well but I want to address this cause a lot of people are looking at M-Mawile through a tunnel vision and looking purely at just M-Mawile itself and not its effect on the metagame. Yes we know that cores aren't being tested. But one thing you failed to realize is that VenuTran core is not only shat on by Kyurem-B, it's also shut down by things such as Gothitelle. Now, I'm not saying that this warrants its ban what I'm saying is this. M-Mawile is way too good not only from a 1v1 stand point, but from a team stand point as well. The 1v1 situations are a good example of how mindless M-Mawile is, while if you look at it from the position of how it plays out as cohesive unit of the team, some will realize that it covers way too much ground. The fact that it needs that minimal support to handle the team seems a bit much. Yeah this can be said about a lot of things obviously but this isn't even touching on the other traits that make it just such a powerful presence in the tier.

Like a lot of posts are nitpicking at one sole trait that in an ordinary case we wouldn't be arguing about and accept it. But there are multiple traits that contribute to M-Mawile's unhealthy presence in the tier. That's what we're trying to get across. We can always agree to disagree as well. I'm just trying to get some of those points across as best I can so some who are neutral on the issue that would like to vote can make a decision on their own without bandwagoning or post nonsense.

Fun fact: Subpunch with Iron head instead of Play rough isn't walled by Venutran.

Getting tired of this...

I'll say it only ONCE more: We all know it has checks and even some counters, THAT IS NOT THE POINT. The point is, despite having such checks it does still way too well and this is a problem!

So wrong on so many levels. I repeat it again in the hope that everybody will get this. WE KNOW IT HAS CHECKS. These checks are sadly just unreliable. Yes, I can use Heatran on a team to deal with Mega-Mawile, but what happens if it has Focus-Punch? If Heatran is my way of dealing with it I have no way to "play around" it or to scout for its movesets WITHOUT LETTING SOMETHING DIE. And if you now want to tell me that I just have to run VenuTran ON EVERY TEAM just to avoid this then i would call this OVERCENTRALIZATION.
I don't want to read anything repetitve about Checks and Counters again. If someone has new aspects about this topic, I would be happy to hear them, but please don't bring up the same shaky, situational or niche checks again, we all know how they work and don't need another post to explain this.

Since I am only repeating myself so far, let me continue to do that:
Mawile doesn't adjust to the team, the team adjusts to Mawile. It can build on Mawiles weaknesses (like running many Heatran-weak Pokemon) or build against it. And both variants are equally good making Mawiles set UNPREDICTABLE. Scouting is impossible without sacking something because of its powerful attacks, which is one of the reasons Mega-Lucario was banned. To deal with Mega-Mawile you NEED two checks, maybe even more.

Like I said in my last post: It doesn't sweep 6-0 teams, it weakens the team to the point where other sweepers can handle the rest very easily. It is unpredictable like Mega-Lucario, has a power comparable to Mega-Kangaskhan and supports the team offensively like Deoxys-S. It doesn't do that to the extreme like the mentioned Pokemon but combines these great trade-offs in one. This is in my opinion too much.

Right now I didn't see many good anti-ban arguments. This is a generation of checks, not counters (don't know how many times I said this) and we all know that. But being able to destroy teams and not easy to revenge kill even WITH checks is a point that hasn't been disproved yet.
I STILL didn't see ANY answer to this. Please tell me how it doesn't have the power which makes every check really unreliable. Please prove how you can handle and scout Mawile's set with only one check on equal level of play without sacking at least one Pokemon. Please show me that not nearly every team (which isn't ridicolous prepared for Mawile) are heavily damaged after her rampage that the rest cannot clean up. Please teach us a reliable way to revenge-kill Mega-Mawile. THESE are the answers we are looking for and NO anti-banner until now has made one move to defend Mega-Mawile in this important way.

Sorry for my tone, but it is late here and I'm getting tired of reading these repetitve "check and counter"-posts over and over again...

Getting tired of this...

I'll say it only ONCE more: We all know it has checks and even some counters, THAT IS NOT THE POINT. The point is, despite having such checks it does still way too well and this is a problem!

So wrong on so many levels. I repeat it again in the hope that everybody will get this. WE KNOW IT HAS CHECKS. These checks are sadly just unreliable. Yes, I can use Heatran on a team to deal with Mega-Mawile, but what happens if it has Focus-Punch? If Heatran is my way of dealing with it I have no way to "play around" it or to scout for its movesets WITHOUT LETTING SOMETHING DIE. And if you now want to tell me that I just have to run VenuTran ON EVERY TEAM just to avoid this then i would call this OVERCENTRALIZATION.
I don't want to read anything repetitve about Checks and Counters again. If someone has new aspects about this topic, I would be happy to hear them, but please don't bring up the same shaky, situational or niche checks again, we all know how they work and don't need another post to explain this.

Since I am only repeating myself so far, let me continue to do that:

I STILL didn't see ANY answer to this. Please tell me how it doesn't have the power which makes every check really unreliable. Please prove how you can handle and scout Mawile's set with only one check on equal level of play without sacking at least one Pokemon. Please show me that not nearly every team (which isn't ridicolous prepared for Mawile) are heavily damaged after her rampage that the rest cannot clean up. Please teach us a reliable way to revenge-kill Mega-Mawile. THESE are the answers we are looking for and NO anti-banner until now has made one move to defend Mega-Mawile in this important way.

Sorry for my tone, but it is late here and I'm getting tired of reading these repetitve "check and counter"-posts over and over again...
The "Check and Counter Arguement" is so overplayed, people always throw that out there when they dont have a legitimate reason, It is like saying that Arceus (Normal) should be in OU because Conkeldurr has the power to take it out. When the community votes, they should look the Pokemon as a whole. For example, "What are its strengths, weaknesses, what pokemon does it counter, what pokemon counter it, who can properly support this pokemon, how is this pokemon going to fit on a team? stuff like that

anyone else think it would have been banned if it had higher speed?
but really, it's got WWWWAAAAAYYYYY to much attack with Huge Power and stuff. Its also got a good defensive typing. Iron head and Play rough are resisted by Steel but the dude learns Fire Fang and can even use Sub with Focus Punch
"It's fine dude, i'll just go out into my [really fast ghost type]"
but then, sucker punch

I find the use of Mawile's checks and counters as an argument has been used wrong by both sides of the discussion. Those who claim it has solid checks and counters are wrong because many of them are shaky at best and are taken down by the appropriate set or coverage move. Those who claim that this fact alone is enough to make it banworthy are also wrong because we would have banned Hydreigon in gen 5 if this was the case. Honestly, we have to look at its impact on the meta as a whole to determine whether or not its presence is healthy for the metagame.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
You want an answer? It relies entirely on Mega Mawile's stat:

HP

Notice the damn thing has 50 base HP, this thing HATES any form of damage, burns and even stealth rocks are more than enough to wear down this Pokemon. Keeping it moving is how you stop it, not stalling per-se but being able to predict when he fires off a sucker punch or when he will switch is the key. There are many pokemon faster then Mega-Mawile, keeping it on it's toes and anticipating when it strikes are the factors.

This situation is almost exactly like Aegisslash, but with the difference of if the opponent makes the wrong move, he is punished for it. (Sucker Punching at the wrong time can cost a game).

I'm Anti-ban. If you want a complete wall to her? Mega-Aggron is probably the first thing that comes to mind.

You want the actual counter? It's her HP stat, she is light, literally ANY minimal damage can set you up to take her down.
The problem I have with arguments like this is we're assuming that the person using M-Mawile is a complete moron and this is another one of those arguments where we're just looking at it from a 1v1 stand point with so many other factors that are being omitted such as team matchup, individual sets, hazards, and a plethora of miscellaneous circumstances. I was seeing a lot of arguments like this where we're talking about prediction, plays, this and that and realistically it falls apart because it goes both ways. Yeah of course if someone uses M-Mawile terribly or is kind of just screwed up from facing a team of offensive checks to it, it's not going to pull the weight 24/7 that some of us pro-ban people are describing. Obviously what people have seen in practice will be a contributing factor. I personally have never been necessarily destroyed by M-Mawile, but that doesn't mean it's a healthy presence. I've used M-Mawile on various teams such as Rain and Balanced as well as some other archetypes and that's where my philosophy that M-Mawile is broken is coming from. The fact that I was able to easily slap this thing on a team so easily and exploited it to its fullest extent showed me how it was broken.

I don't like the idea of banning Mawile at all. It's slow causing it to rely very heavily on Sucker Punch, is very susceptible to burns thanks to Will-O-Wisp users, has terrible HP taking away from what would otherwise be great bulk, and has plenty of checks and counters throughout the meta. She is REALLY REALLY good there is no denying this, and if she sets up there isn't really anything she can't take out quickly, however even after a setup she can be put in check by something like mega T-Tar as it can eat a sucker punch and eq it back or anything that can out speed and burn it, which are quite a few things.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
You want an answer? It relies entirely on Mega Mawile's stat:

HP

Notice the damn thing has 50 base HP, this thing HATES any form of damage, burns and even stealth rocks are more than enough to wear down this Pokemon. Keeping it moving is how you stop it, not stalling per-se but being able to predict when he fires off a sucker punch or when he will switch is the key. There are many pokemon faster then Mega-Mawile, keeping it on it's toes and anticipating when it strikes are the factors.

This situation is almost exactly like Aegisslash, but with the difference of if the opponent makes the wrong move, he is punished for it. (Sucker Punching at the wrong time can cost a game).

I'm Anti-ban. If you want a complete wall to her? Mega-Aggron is probably the first thing that comes to mind.

You want the actual counter? It's her HP stat, she is light, literally ANY minimal damage can set you up to take her down.
-1 252 Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 182-216 (66.6 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yeah man just mega mawile setting up against a mon with an SE STAB 100 BP MOVE man, totally fucking light, can't take hits for shit. >_>

You're seriously underplaying this thing's bulk, and managed to conveniently ignore this thing's amazing typing with a whopping 9 resistances and 2 immunities. Look at zapdos for example! Stat wise, even keldeo is slightly bulkier overall than it; zapdos is still used defensively primarily because its defensive typing is fantastic. Now look at articuno! That shit can stuff in roost, defog, and heal bell all in one set, why is that NU? Because ice/flying is a shit defensive typing, and not much else is really holding it back.

And rocks is not enough to wear down a mega mawile hello. It has to come in about 4 times before stealth rocks alone does anything significant, and I don't think too many teams out there hold up against mega mawile 4 times.

Also: 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron: 220-261 (63.9 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Yeah it switches in once and forces it out, and then its nearly useless for the rest of the match while the switch-in has to take an earthquake, or god forbid, heavy slam, from the mighty (and uninvested) mega aggron real scary pal.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of banning Mawile at all. It's slow causing it to rely very heavily on Sucker Punch, is very susceptible to burns thanks to Will-O-Wisp users, has terrible HP taking away from what would otherwise be great bulk, and has plenty of checks and counters throughout the meta. She is REALLY REALLY good there is no denying this, and if she sets up there isn't really anything she can't take out quickly, however even after a setup she can be put in check by something like mega T-Tar as it can eat a sucker punch and eq it back or anything that can out speed and burn it, which are quite a few things.
Checks and counters like? Here are some reasons I listed a page ago that you might've missed

1) Typing to come in and set up. SubFP or SubSD or SD 3Atk or Subsplit (yes it has been tried, not popular but still seen). They are all threatening. Mawile picks its checks and that itself makes it an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS THREAT.
2) Huge Power (Post Mevo) + Intimidate (Pre Mevo). Makes it not only good on the offense but also makes it good as a pivot. The thing about MEvos is that you don't have to mega on the spot. You can choose when to Mevo and when to get the advantage on your opponent. We are arguing on the assumption that MMawile comes in Evolved or will evolve straight away. It could choose to act as a pivot/lure and switch out to others to take out the would be counters and checks. OR it can set up right there and then. You just can't tell.
3) Movepool. It has a modest movepool but a decent enough one to secure it's ability to do multiple roles.
4) I think this point has been said so many times that the argument based on this has already turned stale. It has 259 base attack factoring Huge Power. You can say that WoW cripples it, but at +2, burned mons hit for neutral.

It's ridiculously powerful, can force 50/50s (like every sucker punch user in the game ever), except that it's coming off the highest attack in the game, and can bluff a sucker punch to setup. it's got near-perfect coverage with the SD+3 attacks set, and can run other moves such as knock off, Sub+Punch, and the elemental fangs to aid it's coverage. It is the ultimate wall breaker, basically.
Then again... it's horrendously slow, and while it's decent-ish bulk of 50/125/95 (125 boosted further by the initial intimidate) allows it to run an average support set with Foul play/pain split/Stockpile etc. It's still vulnerable to common OU threats...

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Mawile: 265-312 (87.1 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Mawile: 356-420 (117.1 - 138.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Mawile: 296-351 (97.3 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Mawile: 226-268 (74.3 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Mawile: 218-260 (71.7 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And even with mawile's pretty nice defensive typing, wouldn't a physically defensive pokemon mostly 2HKO'd/OHKO'd by SE attacks in it's tier be kinda inefficient? Not counted the Intimidate stat drop because that's temporary, and won't be on for too long. Also, it's got no passive recovery in lefties, and has to rely on the unreliable Pain Split for recovery. It's 50/50s aren't so bad, as sucker punch has only 8 PP and it's not able to spam them all day. It absolutely requires HP EVs if it doesn't want to be OHKO'd by every earthquake user ever, but it absolutely requires Speed EVs too if it wants to carry out it's duty as a wallbreaker. Also, heatran counters the general SD+3 attacks set though it dies to the Subpunch set.

I'm kinda fence-sitting here on this one. Ridiculously powerful, but frail. Versatile, but can be played around. Smogon's been a little ban-happy this season so I won't be surprised to see this one go, though I'll be missing a vital part of my team ;~;

Reactions: HBK
I find the use of Mawile's checks and counters as an argument has been used wrong by both sides of the discussion.Those who claim it has solid checks and counters are wrong because many of them are shaky at best and are taken down by the appropriate set or coverage move. Those who claim that this fact alone is enough to make it banworthy are also wrong because we would have banned Hydreigon in gen 5 if this was the case. Honestly, we have to look at its impact on the meta as a whole to determine whether or not its presence is healthy for the metagame.
True dat. M-Mawile is insanely strong, and a really great Pokemon overall, but tbh it's not NEARLY as metagame centralizing or versatile as the banworthy pokes, (Genies, Deo, and AEGISLASH) And it's not like Mawile's pescence is stopping a crap ton of other Pokemon from being viable, and if it IS banned, I really don't think the metagame would change too much.
Also, people that say that the raw power is too much for OU, well take a look at Mega-Medicham.

anyone else think it would have been banned if it had higher speed?
but really, it's got WWWWAAAAAYYYYY to much attack with Huge Power and stuff. Its also got a good defensive typing. Iron head and Play rough are resisted by Steel but the dude learns Fire Fang and can even use Sub with Focus Punch
"It's fine dude, i'll just go out into my [really fast ghost type]"
but then, sucker punch
Just saying, most ghost types used in OU (which aren't too many now) that would want to stay in on mega mawile would be using Will-O-Wisp, so no sucker punch damage would happen. For example, Cofagrigus and Sableye, but they're both UU, right?
The only pokemon I can name falling under your scenario is gengar, correct me if i'm wrong.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If everyone could stop responding to RHunterN that would make my job a lot easier. Hes either trolling, or someone exceptionally ignorant, and its best not to feed him. Trust in the moderators to handle posts, because otherwise you get situations such as this where I have to delete about 2 pages worth of posts.

If I just infracted you, I would high recommend you stop posting. Subject18 is quite happy to put people on a blacklist, but I think that after multiple warnings within a 48 hour period, if people are still breaking the rules then they are not quite getting it. Locking this thread as I have about 3 pages worth of flaming, bitching, and whinging to delete, if you post was deleted, calm down, as I'm just getting this back on track.

Have a nice day.

ginganinja

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thread has now been reset. Its entirely possible I had to delete some really good posts, and if you spent a lot of time on a well developed post and it got deleted, then I apologise for this. Due to the large amount of quoting, as well as references to deleted material, a blanket purge was the best way to get this thread back on track.

Anyway, seeing as I am seeing some repeated arguments, I am just going to do a quick summery post.

-Firstly, if you make a checks or counters argument, the very first thing you need to do, is make sure you have the correct terminology. a Check, is something that cannot exactly switch in safely, but can often win a "1v1", or revenge kill the pokemon in question. A Counter is something that can 100% switch in and hard wall, or force an unfavourable situation for said pokemon.

-Secondly, just because something lacks counters / checks does NOT mean it is instantly broken. Cube, BW Hydreigon etc were / are all impossible to switch into, but that does not instantly make them broken. However, if something DOES have checks and counters, this doesn't make it NOT broken either. Genesect had counters, Aegislash had counters (specific to its set) and so on. Also take not that if you parade around a collection of shitty mons that situationally counter a suspect, I will flat out delete your post. It might even give you an infraction. I know that myself, rey, and pretty much every other OU mod is tired of seeing people discuss Arcanine, Weezing, Quillfish and pretty much anything else. Hint: if you are using garbage mons to check a top tier sweeper, than its potentially a good indicator as to how unhealthy it is.

-Thirdly, just because you beat Mega Mawile while you have an Elo rating of 1000 does not mean its not broken. If you want to use battle statistics in your argument, look at the top tier battles, the VR posters, the Tourney scene, use really good examples. Its much harder to refuse your points if you are a highly respected battler, usually because it means people trust and respect your opinion, regardless as to which way you vote. The lower you are on the ladder, the less Mega mawile will be used successfully and intelligently, so please bear that in mind.

-Fourthly, if you use the argument; "LOL MEGA MAWILE SUCKS I JUST OHKO IT WITH EQ GGGGGGGGGGG", I will infract you. No question. All of us are (mostly), intelligent and have the ability to read. We all know how to look at a type chart, and you stating the obvious just makes you look like an utter retard thats out of his/her depth, and thus shouldn't be posting here.

-Fifthly, Fact Check. There is nothing more retarded than posting a sweeping statement thats incorrect. For instance, several people brought up earthquake from several mons as methods of dealing with Mawile. Many of these people failed to realise EQ missed a KO, and thus looked like morons. According to an IRC convo, someone who's opinion I trust remarked that Mega Mawile for instance, actually beats Gliscor provided it used SD on the switch in, tanks the Earthquake, and smokes Gliscor with a +2 Play Rough. I'm not sure if residual damage is required to do all that but the point is, don't take short cuts, we all have damage calculators, and we WILL call you out on it if you fucked up. I'm except from this rule because I'm a mod.

-Sixthly, don't assume a suspect (say Mega Mawile) will stay in on your Sun boosted, Blaze boosted Choice Specs Overheat. An earlier argument I saw was someone posting a load of calculations and saying "LOL MAWILE GETS OHKOed BY CHANDELURE". Thats A+ logic mate, but Mega Mawile isn't setting up on a Charizard Y, instead, its coming in on a choice locked dragon move, a resisted attack, a -1 pokemon that lacks an effective means to do severe damage, etc. Posting a list of pokemon that can OHKO Mega Mawile means jack shit if you need to sacrifice a pokemon to get your check in safely. Its not setting up, and its not staying in.

-Seventhly, be careful of the "Prediction argument". IT GOES BOTH WAYS. Really clever posters will use the risk reward prediction argument, which is a good one. If you want a breakdown about it, im sure many experienced players will be able to tell you, but the point is, you don't have godlike prediction skills, so i don't want to see posts like "I will go to Heatran on a play rough, then go to Gengar on a Focus Punch, then use Substitute on the Sucker Punch and then use Will-o-Wisp on a second Sucker Punch. You are not clairvoyant, nor is your opponent, so don't pretend otherwise.

-Eighthly, make sure your post actually bring some sort of discussion to it. The amount of posts I say that are just "yea so Mega Mawile has high attack power so I think its broken", not only have terrible arguments, but add NOTHING to the discussion. I'm not asking you to make a novel, but please make sure your post has a depth of reasoning and quality behind it. If you cannot be bothered putting through into it, then quite frankly, I cannot be bothered reading it. In general, the better your arguments are (detail, reasoning etc), the better of the overall quality of your post, and the better chance you have of influencing people to see things your way. Therefore, if you feel strongly about a particular suspect, it is in your interest to make your post as well reasoned as possible, because if you half arse it, then you are convincing no-one.

-FINALLY don't discuss past or future tiering. I couldn't care less if you feel salty about the Aegislash ban, and I don't give a shit that you feel that Thundurus-I should be suspected first. Likewise for the love of god, DON'T, DON'T say "but if we ban Mega Mawile, suddenly haxorus becomes broken", like in one post I read. We do not keep broken things within OU to check others, so please don't try this argument. Furthermore, don't whinge that your precious mon might be garbage in Ubers - we don't use it as a point of reference. It could get less usage that Magikarp in Ubers and we don't care - its not relevant. Likewise, please don't bitch or rage that your fanboy favourite just got suspect tested and might, be banned, use calm logic and reasoning and you will do a heck of a lot of a better job convincing others to see your side instead of posting shit like "FUCK SMOGON IT HATES ON MEGAS AND WANTS TO BAN THEM ALL I HATE THIS SITE".

I might add to this later, and might add it to the top, but for now, take a good look at this, then maybe take a look at your recent posts. By and large, we see about 30 of these sort of posts a day, (today it was 30 terrible posts in a 3 hour period...) so please take the time to make sure your post is helpful.

Have a nice day, and lets make sure this thread stays on track ok?

EDIT

Users that take it upon themselves to do exactly what I just told them not to do will be handed down an Infraction. No exceptions.

Last edited:
So I feel there actually is one true Mawile counter that most people have overlooked:

Charizard Y:
move 1: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 2: Roost
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Solarbeam / Focus Blast / Earthquake
ability: Blaze
item: Charizardite Y
evs: 240 HP / 100 Def / 136 SpDef / 32 Spe
nature: Calm

This set is above and beyond the best Mawile counter. It's like Wisp Arcanine, except it doesn't suck. The set also has the advantage of beating both Sub Punch and SD Mawile, unlike Heatran or Mega Venusaur. Best of all, this set is actually really good even outside of as a Mawile check. It still has ridiculous power even without investment, (Fire Blast OHKOs Landorus-I 100% of the time without the need for Stealth Rock, a Pokemon with 89/80 natural bulk,) and it has increased longevity over other Char-Y variants. Use this set. Trust me.

I'm kinda sitting on the fence for this suspect test. As much as I love Mawile, to be honest, nothing safely switches in.

However, similarly to Greninja which has little to no switch ins, there are good answers (by that I mean checks) to Mega Mawile, in Landorus-T, Heatran, etc.
That being said, those said checks would die off to Sucker if weakened beforehand, as for Heatran, those SubPunch variants handles it nicely.

It definitely deserves to be suspected, whether it needs to go, I'm not sure. I'm nearing reqs for one of my PS accounts, so I am still deciding what to vote for. For the time being, imma look at what others have to say before I make my final decision.

CharX is not a counter, it is a check. CharY's defensive set counters, this is right. We are still not trying to prove that Mawile has no checks/counters (we all know that it has these!), but I think they are not enough AND not reliable. CharX can't take a Play Rough well, at +2 even Sucker Punch is too much. It's like Garchomp and similar checks. This is not a decent "argument", it is just one of the few Pokemon that SOMETIMES can revenge-kill Mawile if you predicted right (Sucker Punch mindgames).
Sableye is a really REALLY bad answer. Not only it can't switch in, Mawile can defeat it even BURNED. You don't need SD. If Sableye is your answer, then you have to sack one Pokemon to bring in Sableye and sack Sableye itself to make Mawile weaker (which doesn't matter too much if it has SD). Sorry, Sableye is definitely not a good answer.
About the Chars, I said "They can ARGUABLY counter, and pretty surely check Mega Mawile", so you're not saying me anything new.

I pointed out that you'll probably lose Sableye in order to burn Mawile, but to me is an high risk / high reward strategy. Mawile goes for anything but PR? Sableye burns him and survives any hit, with proper investment. He goes for PR? Sableye dies, but he still managed to burn him and make him useless (he'll need more SW to compensate, and if you feel like risking, Sableye can Taunt him the next turn. And if Sableye got sacked the previous turn, just bring something like Garchomp that doesn't care at all for a burned Sucker Punch and kill him). So I'd count him as a check.

The main issue with mega mawile is the lazy playstyle it promotes. Just throw out a play rough and it will do huge damage to most of the meta. It's similar to aegi in that regard, which could come in easily thanks to great typing and bulk and proceed to fire off a shadow ball. Mawile also have several viable options to murder it's usual switch-ins.

Using mega mawile basically guarantees a hole in the opponents defense which can allow more reliable sweepers to clean up very easily. It is a very low risk/effort pokemon to use and it will always pull it's weight.

I think we should ban it for the sake of a more strategic metagame.

About the Chars, I said "They can ARGUABLY counter, and pretty surely check Mega Mawile", so you're not saying me anything new.

I pointed out that you'll probably lose Sableye in order to burn Mawile, but to me is an high risk / high reward strategy. Mawile goes for anything but PR? Sableye burns him and survives any hit, with proper investment. He goes for PR? Sableye dies, but he still managed to burn him and make him useless (he'll need more SW to compensate, and if you feel like risking, Sableye can Taunt him the next turn. And if Sableye got sacked the previous turn, just bring something like Garchomp that doesn't care at all for a burned Sucker Punch and kill him). So I'd count him as a check.
*Sigh*

Let's make a realistic battle condition:
Mawile is in something that is scared out of it. You now want to bring in Sableye.
Let's say he goes for Play Rough:
Sableye dies. Nothing achieved.
Obvious of course. Now we say it goes for Fire Fang (because you had a Scizor or something in and your opponent can't predict anything).
Sableye takes damage. Mawile Switches out because letting him in is such a stupid play that nobody would do. No damage to Mawile, but damage to your Sableye. Same thing if he goes for Sucker Punch.
So for your Sableye to work you have to predict EVERYTIME the Fire Fang OR Sucker Punch and hope your opponent cannot predict the Sableye AT ALL. You not only are assuming that Mawile stays in in a Sableye, you want to tell us that no opponent can predict the switch to Sableye. If he Play Roughs predicting your switch Sableye DIES. If you predicted the Sucker Punch/FireFang correctly Mawile switches out (no burn on Mawile). If he used Sub your Sableye is useless too. If he swordsdanced then your burn will just negate the SD, assuming Mawile stays in AGAIN.
This is what would happen if you use Sableye as your "answer" to Mawile. It is not even a check.

-Sixthly, don't assume a suspect (say Mega Mawile) will stay in on your Sun boosted, Blaze boosted Choice Specs Overheat. An earlier argument I saw was someone posting a load of calculations and saying "LOL MAWILE GETS OHKOed BY CHANDELURE". Thats A+ logic mate, but Mega Mawile isn't setting up on a Charizard Y, instead, its coming in on a choice locked dragon move, a resisted attack, a -1 pokemon that lacks an effective means to do severe damage, etc. Posting a list of pokemon that can OHKO Mega Mawile means jack shit if you need to sacrifice a pokemon to get your check in safely. Its not setting up, and its not staying in.

-Seventhly, be careful of the "Prediction argument". IT GOES BOTH WAYS. Really clever posters will use the risk reward prediction argument, which is a good one. If you want a breakdown about it, im sure many experienced players will be able to tell you, but the point is, you don't have godlike prediction skills, so i don't want to see posts like "I will go to Heatran on a play rough, then go to Gengar on a Focus Punch, then use Substitute on the Sucker Punch and then use Will-o-Wisp on a second Sucker Punch. You are not clairvoyant, nor is your opponent, so don't pretend otherwise.
Mawile doesn't stay in if you managed to bring in Sableye safely. Sableye can BARELY take a Play Rough WITH burn. Sableye is not a check and not a answer to Mawile. Period.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
So I feel there actually is one true Mawile counter that most people have overlooked:

Charizard Y:
move 1: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 2: Roost
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Solarbeam / Focus Blast / Earthquake
ability: Blaze
item: Charizardite Y
evs: 240 HP / 100 Def / 136 SpDef / 32 Spe
nature: Calm

This set is above and beyond the best Mawile counter. It's like Wisp Arcanine, except it doesn't suck. The set also has the advantage of beating both Sub Punch and SD Mawile, unlike Heatran or Mega Venusaur. Best of all, this set is actually really good even outside of as a Mawile check. It still has ridiculous power even without investment, (Fire Blast OHKOs Landorus-I 100% of the time without the need for Stealth Rock, a Pokemon with 89/80 natural bulk,) and it has increased longevity over other Char-Y variants. Use this set. Trust me.
While I'm not doubting this thing's ability to counter mega maw, because it pretty much looks like it does (although i'd slash flamethrower first), there's more to it than that. And that's rocks.
This is the one thing that annoys me when it comes to attempting to check mega mawile because a lot of the defensive fire types need extensive hazard support; its no exaggeration to say that you NEED 2 DEFOGGERS(/i guess bulky starmie could be a thing now too :S) to actually make this thing a truly reliable answer to mega mawile on a stall team.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 240 HP / 100 Def Mega Charizard Y: 151-178 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
As you can see, once mega mawile uses play rough you can hardly do much else; if zard y is crucial to stopping other mons on the opponents team like landorus then the player can even stay in and invest in a 50/50 of sucker punching on a flamethrower or using play rough on the wisp/roost, which would be awkward.

So this thing seems pretty sound (as sound as you can get against mega mawile anyway) but i'd rather just stick with a venutran core and handle mega mawile that way personally :/

ginganinja

Just in addition to my previous post. It apparently should go without saying that if someones takes it upon themselves to post exactly what I told them not to do, I'm not mucking about with a post deletion, I'm slapping the user in question with a straight up infraction. A few users have already tested my ire on this, so don't let it be you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)