Super Speed Double Battle

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

Surprised there hasn't been a thread for this yet.

• Sign-ups end on the 7th August, the tournament is the weekend after
  • 3v3 doubles with no team preview
  • 20 seconds per turn to select moves and stuff
  • Standard battle spot banlist, stuff from gen 5 is allowed.
  • 10 minutes per battle
No team preview means you might as well just have a team of 3.

I'm thinking something like... a distruptor, a hole puncher, and then something at the end to clean up?
Only 3 means switching's going to be difficult, so I imagine things like swagger and intimidate are going to be even stronger than usual here. Also no team preview means gimmicks galore, so I think a taunter/redirector will be really useful to have!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh, I'm definitely signing up for this one! I really love Ferrothorn in doubles recently so I'm probably going to make my team with it. Might use a combination of Leech Seed and Swagger since, like you said, switching is gonna be rough. Ferrothorn itself tends to be able to keep itself alive and on the field for a long time so I think it'd be a safe option. Not sure what Swagger users are good...Sableye? Anyone wanna breed me one? :D

For the third Pokemon, I'm not sure, maybe I'll just throw on Mega Kanga 'cause you can't go wrong with that!

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Considering there's no team preview, is there any benefit to running 6 pokemon in your battle box as opposed to just focusing on 3? I mean, I guess maybe carry 6 in case you get bored with your original strategy, but I can't think of another reason.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[sarcasm]No team preview? Finally, a meta where Zoroark can shine![/sarcasm]

I think this will be a pretty offensively based metagame where you'll just want to dish out as much damage as possible, as quickly as possible. My weekends have been crazy busy lately, and it looks the same for this tourney, so I'll probably just slap together some sort of scarf Water Spout/Eruption user and a Retaliate M-Kang in the back and call it a day

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Considering there's no team preview, is there any benefit to running 6 pokemon in your battle box as opposed to just focusing on 3? I mean, I guess maybe carry 6 in case you get bored with your original strategy, but I can't think of another reason.
Could be worth it if you find out your strategy is not as successful as you'd hoped. Battle Boxes are locked for this, so it might be useful to just come up with a second strategy just in case.

Anyway, I'm all signed up now although my team's not done yet. Does anyone happen to have a Bold Sableye I can use? :X

I'm doing this. I bred my first ever complete in-game doubles team for it. It's sitting around 1350 on Showdown (and climbing), so I think it will work well enough. It's not fantastic, and relied somewhat on what I could breed quickly, but I tried to come up with a decent team that I thought could perform somewhat automatically and without relying too heavily on team preview and complicated prediction. We'll see how it goes.

EDIT -- I literally just now realized this was 3 vs. 3 doubles. That's so strange. Hopefully that doesn't mess with my setup too much.

It seems like the best way to do this probably would've been to make sure your front two Pokemon can 1) Deal with Intimidate, 2) Deal with Smeargle/other status shenanigans, 3) Deal with other common lead pairs (sun, rain, double dragon, etc.), maybe include one lead that can just take something off the field immediately in most situations (Fake Out + Final Gambit/Giga Impact/Explosion or something) and then have something powerful bringing up the back. Honestly, even a slapdash Fake Out + Water Spout or Eruption sounds like it could be good here. If I'd had more time to build a team just for this, that probably would've dictated my approach.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I've picked 2 members of my primary core pretty solidly, but I'm having trouble settling on the last one. What do you guys think: should I bring an intimidator (prolly salamence), a competitive pokemon (prolly milotic), or Mr. Meowstic (safeguard, swagger, charm, quick guard)? Meowstic stops a lot of nonsense (and starts a fair bit more, lol), but he's got 0 offensive presence and is shut down by taunt. Milotic has some bulk and a respectable base 100 special attack, but is lack-luster without a boost (maybe bisharp instead, but that guy is so frail -_-). Dunno how I feel about a choiced 'mon with only 3 in a match, and I don't really know of any other successful sets for salamence to run.

I'll probably fill the last 3 slots on my team with the other choices plus a random good-stuff pokemon just in case, but without team preview, I'll probably just go with my gut on what to bring to each match (basically, what I feel like playing with at that moment, lol). But, it'd be nice to know what you guys think is the stronger option. :)

Last edited:
I've picked 2 members of my primary core pretty solidly, but I'm having trouble settling on the last one. What do you guys think: should I bring an intimidator (prolly salamence), a competitive pokemon (prolly milotic), or Mr. Meowstic (safeguard, swagger, charm, quick guard)? Meowstic stops a lot of nonsense (and starts a fair bit more, lol), but he's got 0 offensive presence and is shut down by taunt. Milotic has some bulk and a respectable base 100 special attack, but is lack-luster without a boost (maybe bisharp instead, but that guy is so frail -_-). Dunno how I feel about a choiced 'mon with only 3 in a match, and I don't really know of any other successful sets for salamence to run.
I had to weigh this too. Right now I'm including a Smeargle (I thiiiiiiink), which I'm hoping can give me an edge enough of a time to make up for the fact that he has no offensive presence save Sheer Cold (Sheer Cold is a nasty surprise though).

I'd go with Meowstic or an Intimidate-'mon over Milotic. An Intimidator is going to be clutch in shutting down quick damage, and Meowstic is that "prepare for Smeargle and other status shenanigans" Pokemon. That seems worth a slot just on the virtue that you want to make sure you're prepared for common team archetypes to some degree. Plus, SafeSwagger ain't nothin' to fuck with and gives it something to do most turns.

I have a feeling Pokemon in need of a boost will fare even worse here than they normally do in doubles. Granted, take this all with a huge grain of salt, as there's obviously no way to test the exact format.

Re: Choice items: I honestly feel like that could be okay. You won't be able to switch it in and out situationally, but you also have a greater chance of selecting an optimal attack, since you see 2/3rds of their team right away.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I had to weigh this too. Right now I'm including a Smeargle (I thiiiiiiink), which I'm hoping can give me an edge enough of a time to make up for the fact that he has no offensive presence save Sheer Cold (Sheer Cold is a nasty surprise though).

I'd go with Meowstic or an Intimidate-'mon over Milotic, though. An Intimidator is going to be clutch in shutting down quick damage, and Meowstic is that "prepare for Smeargle and other status shenanigans" Pokemon. Plus, SafeSwagger ain't nothin' to fuck with and gives it something to do most turns.

I have a feeling Pokemon in need of a boost will fare even worse here than they normally do in doubles. Granted, take this all with a huge grain of salt, as there's obviously no way to test the exact format.
Yeah, without team preview, I think the competitive 'mon would just leave me fishing blindly. Thanks for your thoughts! :)

EDIT: Is your smeargle moody? I can give you one with moody if you need it (sometimes you get clutch speed, accuracy, or evasion boosts with moody).

EDIT2: Also, have you considered foul play or transform over sheer cold? Foul play works well if you also have swagger, and transform lets smeargle take on a stronger foe's stats, which, of course, pretty much everything is stronger than smeargle, lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, without team preview, I think the competitive 'mon would just leave me fishing blindly. Thanks for your thoughts! :)

EDIT: Is your smeargle moody? I can give you one with moody if you need it (sometimes you get clutch speed, accuracy, or evasion boosts with moody).

EDIT2: Also, have you considered foul play or transform over sheer cold? Foul play works well if you also have swagger, and transform lets smeargle take on a stronger foe's stats, which, of course, pretty much everything is stronger than smeargle, lol.
It's Moody and it is ready to wreck.

Swagger + Transform is something I hadn't played around with, but my testing with Transform was kind of ... not great. I think I might've just been too gung-ho to use it.

Anyway, I think I'm getting pretty good mileage out of it with Encore + Spiky Shield + Dark Void + Sheer Cold. My basic run-and-gun combo with it is to pair it with priority Tail Wind from Talonflame on turn one and get off a Dark Void. If it can hang in for just a couple turns it's usually set up well enough from Moody to stay in, refresh Dark Voids and toss out Sheer Colds when there's nothing better to do. The latter also gives it something to do turn one against an obvious Taunt.

EDIT -- Haha, I just realized that almost all of the things I mentioned in this post are Smogon-banned. It's really not that OP. You still have to be seriously on your game to make it work.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Does anyone know if the kalos native rule is enforced or not? Someone over at NG said that this is another case where the english site says one thing and the japanese one says another.

Just tried to register a team with some non-kalosborn guys. The game wouldn't let me.

RIP Bulky Mega Mom with Seismic Toss. ;;

Just finished my battles, went 7-3. One of the games I lost due to 2 unlucky crits, though I got some hax in other games so all is well.

I'm currently using 2 Intimidators and it really messes up physical attackers, especially after a poke is knocked out, since the nerfed attacker can no longer switch. I also abuse Will-O-Wisp and it cripples nearly everything. Overall, I really like this format! I don't have to wait forever for my opponents to make a move, lol.

Also, I got totally wrecked by a Prankster Safeguard Meowstic that boosted its physical attackers with swagger, my Intimidate's were completely negated lelz

Didn't get a chance to start this until late tonight, but I played 11 battles, and I guess that means I have nine more to do at some point tomorrow.

Went 8-3. My last one was against a team of Lv. 30 first-stage Pokemon (someone's Pikachu Tournamentu team?), which I decided was as good a sign as any that it was time to stop.

Unfortunately even with a decent win ratio, I'm only at 1,560 or 70. Maybe it's just the time I was playing, but are a lot of the teams in this tournament just kind of ... terrible? Most of my matches were against players in the 1400s, and I swear at least two of them were just someone's singles team. Amazingly, I even managed to win twice forgetting to pick my Pokemon in time (and the three it defaulted to were not my normal strategy).

All my losses were legitimate so far (no crazy hax or anything). One could have gone either way until the last turn, but the guy successfully outpredicted me by having a Cofagrigus use Ally Switch one turn and not the next. In another I blundered on the first turn by forgoing my normal setup to to burn through a Fake Out that never came (letting Azumarill get up a Belly Drum when I could've Dark Voided it). Lesson learned.

This is a really fun format, but I kind of wish it had team preview. I feel it loses a bit of depth by lacking it.

Welp, got my obligatory "Japan using a crazy gimmick" battle today. Prankster Liepard + Focus Punch Infernape... both with Assist and a Dark Void-only Smeargle in the back. Focus Punch and Foul Play were the only damaging moves, Assist landed Dark Void 100% of the time and with the 3 mons I brought I literally couldn't do anything lol. The thing with this comp is that games are usually decided based on leads alone since there's never time for switching, and with no team preview you just have to hope you get lucky. I found the best you can do is find a reliable lead combo that has a chance vs. most types of leads and have a good offensive Pokemon in the back to clean up. Doing that with the generic Kangaskhan/RotomH/Aegislash most of the time currently has me sitting at a decent 15-5.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Welp, got my obligatory "Japan using a crazy gimmick" battle today. Prankster Liepard + Focus Punch Infernape... both with Assist and a Dark Void-only Smeargle in the back. Focus Punch and Foul Play were the only damaging moves, Assist landed Dark Void 100% of the time and with the 3 mons I brought I literally couldn't do anything lol. The thing with this comp is that games are usually decided based on leads alone since there's never time for switching, and with no team preview you just have to hope you get lucky. I found the best you can do is find a reliable lead combo that has a chance vs. most types of leads and have a good offensive Pokemon in the back to clean up. Doing that with the generic Kangaskhan/RotomH/Aegislash most of the time currently has me sitting at a decent 15-5.
I'm guilty of trying this strategy out with assist!liepard, spore!smeargle, and scarf ditto in singles. It's fun, but trolly, lol.

I'm about to start my run for this comp, so hopefully the team I've prepared has at least a ghost's chance. :)

Wow. I didn't even think about that. This might be the one format (thanks to 3 vs. 3 and no team preview) where Assist Dark Void Liepard actually kind of works.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I just did 14 battles in a row, lol, currently 10-4. I had one match that, sadly, was lost because I took too long to decide (time out caused me to use a random move), and another lost to move inaccuracy (using draco meteor is always a risk, sadly).

I'll jump back in later (after I've had a break, lol) and see how I can finish my last matches. :)

My luck from day one evaporated. I think I'm now something like 11-9.

Not realizing this was 3 vs. 3 during teambuilding has now come back to bite me fully in the ass. My lead works well enough, but I lack a Pokemon all-purpose enough to bring up the rear. I've been bringing either a Garchomp, which can handle some things, or a Charizard Y, which can handle some things, but both have teams that they just don't perform well against. I tried switching between them to see if one was more consistent and frequently wound up wishing I had the other. Something like Mega Kangaskhan would've been the ideal choice here.

23 battles in, and I'm at 17-6, around 1650

I don't know whether to keep going or not!!
My main three are Mega-Manectric, Gyarados, and Whimsicott: two Intimidators, one special, one physical, and the fastest Prankster in the game.

I bred and trained the Gyara and Whimsi the day the comp started, and it's the first time I've used competition-grade versions of both.

I'm amazed at the sudden and violent reaction that occurs when Whimsi hits the field. It's almost like I can hear the other player yelling "AHHHH! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!"
However, when I've locked opponents down with Taunt or Encore, I totally understand the sentiment.

I haven't gotten any battle video codes yet, but I'll post them here to see as soon as I get some.

EDIT: Well, crap...

I kept going and wound up going 5-5 for the last day, so my overall total is 19-11, around 1600.

I can't blame hax for most of my losses. They were clean. I simply made bad plays or overpredicted.

Still, not too bad considering I've only just started playing competitively since X & Y came out, right?

Last edited:

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I still have a handful of matches left, but I just got flinch hax'd 6 times across 3 games in a row. Rawr, very frustrating. (1) Scarf ttar, (2) sand rush (probably scarfed) excadrill (got counter teamed HARD there: it's like they KNEW WHAT I WAS BRINGING -.-), (3) aerodactyl (preventing my ddance).

Currently sitting at 1606, with 16-8 (no, 9, just the last one hasn't counted yet). I'll just...take a deep breath, get something to drink, and jump back on and finish my last matches. I was really hoping I'd have a stronger finish, but oh well. -.-

EDIT: Guess what, guys! Another match: another flinch: another loss. I've still got a bunch of matches left, but this isn't fun for me. I'm putting down the 3DS and doing something else for a while. >:(

Then I'm re-evaluating the speed tiers of my team, because this is obviously a serious problem.

Last edited:

Hulavuta

I feel really bad because I signed up for this tournament was really excited about it, but unfortunately I've had almost 0 free time this weekend. I didn't get to play a single match D:

I must have gotten the end time confused, because I went to play my last eight matches a little while ago and found out it was over. Oh well. I ended 12-10 for what I did play. Lesson learned.

Here's the team I wish I'd brought for this:

Something bulky with Soundproof and Protect + Explosion Normal Gem Lickilicki + Whatever the bulkiest Perish Song-user is. Clear the field on turn one and Perish Song. Something would have to be able to take out Ghost types, but whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)