Project RarelyUsed Teambuilding Workshop Sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Credit to Rowan, who I stole the majority of this OP from

We are going to start community teambuilding sessions in #rarelyused on IRC. This should be a great opportunity for newer players to get experience with teambuilding for RU and to learn useful teambuilding tips. It's also a great way to become integrated with the RU community :)

(the next part of the OP is shamelessly copied from Electrolyte) (Which I stole from Rowan)

Here's how this is going to work:

These sessions will occur probably twice a month, maybe more or less depending on our schedules.

In these sessions, we will gather as a group and collectively create a team around a pre-determined, well-defined concept or idea. (In a CCAT fashion, basically.) Once that team is made, I (or one of the other hosts) will make a post in this thread summarizing the discussion, providing an importable for the created team, and adding explanations for the chosen aspects of the team. From then, this thread will be open for discussion on how the team works, ways to improve it, ways to use it, and matches it has undergone in the ladder, etc.

All are free to join in! Remember to have fun!

Coming Up With Team Starting Points
Usually, we will update this thread about a week or so in advance so that the community has time to choose a specific starting point to build the team around. There will be time given to submit ideas and then time to submit votes.

Idea Submission tips:
~Support your idea with reasoning! Keep in mind that the reason for building a team around an idea is just as important as what the idea is.
~Remember that the point of these workshops is for the community to grow and gain experience in building solid competitive teams, so NO GIMMICKS.
~Keep your starting points simple yet concise, so that there are many different paths to explore. However, avoid being too vague (like don't just say "offense!"). The point is to start off with an idea or a core to base the team around. (Ex: *This type of weather* with *insert Pokemon here.* or Team made around *this famous core* or Team designed to help *this Pokemon* sweep.)

We are also looking for people to lead these sessions; people that are able to arrange a time easily, people that are competent team builders, and preferably (but not necessary) have some sort of authority in our PS room. If you want to lead a session be prepared to make a post afterwards explaining the team-building process for anyone who can't make it. If you are interested in leading a session, please PM me.

NO CORE IS GOING TO BE BASED ON SOMETHING THAT IS ALREADY KNOWN TO BE VERY EFFECTIVE. we have the teambuilding thread for that where the cores are generally very effective and common, so this should be more for a creativity experience. That being said the core shouldn't be TOO gimmicky, if you want to make a team based on a spike stacking Glalie and Pawniard, you should hang out with Molk or complete legitimacy and not in this thread.

First session: Preemptively scheduling it for Friday, August 8th at 3 PM GMT -5 (4 PM EDT)

If no one is available at that time, feel free to suggest a better time, but I will have to do it Friday, Saturday or Sunday and I'm not about to ruin muh weekends with this ;o (ie not after 5 pm except on Sunday).

For those of you who are new to IRC click on this, enter a user name, and press go to chat with us in #rarelyused, even if a team building session is not in progress feel free to stop by and chat!

Last edited:

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Starting point so people can understand what is expected in a nomination post:

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Earthquake

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower

Explanation:

This core is a solid starting point for a balanced volt-turn core. Gligar provides the much needed Defog Support for Moltres, which in this case is an excellent cleaner, and can force switches and gain momentum with its own U-turn. Moltres is also really strong in the meta game right now, and is a nightmare for offensive teams to face, while Gligar is the start of any solid defensive core in RU.

You don't necessarily have to have complete sets, if I had said U-turn Gligar + Scarf Moltres it would be fine, and the sets are allowed to be tweaked as long as they don't deviate from the original concept (in this case Balanced Volt-Turn).

you may now post cores!

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is *known* in NU i guess but it's pretty unexplored in RU, i find it p. interesting and possibly a fun thing to build around tbh.

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 96 SpD / 164 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Flare Blitz / Substitute
- Protect
- Baton Pass

STEEL XATU (Xatu) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Explanation:

The given core (and the team that would be built around it) centers around Combusken and its ability to basically be a physical Quiverpasser that can pass boosts to its teammates several times throughout the game. Unlike resident Speed Boost passer Ninjask last generation, Combusken has all of Eviolite boosted bulk, a decent typing (you set up all over at least one of the suspects in Zoroark lol), and no weakness to Stealth Rock, making a strategy like this much more viable than it would be last generation. Using the bulk and resistances previously mentioned, Combusken can easily switch in, start setting up Bulk Ups, use Protect to rack up Speed Boosts, and pass them out to all manner of teammates multiple times per match. Using Bulk Up over Swords Dance here makes Combusken's job that much easier too, as the recipients are much more likely to switch in safely with the extra boosts they gain to Defense. Combusken won't really be sweeping on its own anyway in the current RU metagame. So you might be wondering, how does Xatu fit into all of this? Well, Xatu just happens to be the only fully evolved Magic Bounce user in RU, making it an important Pokemon on any Combusken team to avoid Roar and Whirlwind users trying to stop the chicken from passing its boosts, bouncing them right back in the process. Also, While Xatu might be a special attacker, it still benefits immensely from the boosts Combusken can provide, as they power up its Stored Power in preparation for a sweep, and the extra defense boosts provided by Bulk Up allow Xatu to boost even more with Calm Mind from there.

EDIT: obligatory video

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
@_@ ALL HAIL BASED EO GATOR @_@

Feraligatr @ Metronome
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Block
- Rest

Tangrowth @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Explanation:
He was sadly unable to unleash this set's full potential in the one week he had to play RU. Set up on Alomomola and defensive Qwilfish and really weak Slowking. At +6 and after one (or two?) Metronome boosts, you should be able to kill Druddigon. Might be able to set up on Slowking with Leftovers + a defensive EV spread. Tangrowth kills gastrodon and jellicent which were so scared of this monster beast that they got abilities that made them "immune" (really they are just hacked mons and ur bad if u use them) to the power. Regenerator in case you screw up. Recipient of the Iris Innovation Seal of Approval.

atomicllamas

Ya just gonna go ahead and say that this will likely not be done using GlassGlaceon's set because while it is viable, it is really only viable if you KNOW your opponent is bringing an Alomomola in an attempt to Counter Team them, this will not be the case most of the time, especially when playing with this team in a ladder environment. Molk's core is a really good example of using underrated mons without becoming to "gimmicky".

Submit cores everyone, I'm not quite sure if I want to vote in this thread or on IRC just before we start making the team, but it would be cool to have more than just 2 to choose from B).

Because you asked atomicllamas

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Toxic / Aerial Ace / Memento

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn

Okay so I have used this core quite a bit and it's extremely effective in the RU metagame as it stands. There are very few Pokemon that can actually switch into Choice Specs Meloetta due to it's great Special Attack stat and decent coverage, with two of the best Pokemon to do so being Registeel and Sdef Drapion. This is where U-Turn + Dugtrio comes in, this allows Meloetta to potentially lure out these two Pokemon so that Dugtrio can trap and remove these Pokemon from the battle and let Meloetta wreck havok on the opponents team. The last slot on Dugtrio is a filler, Toxic is great if Dugtrio has nothing to trap and lets you status potentially annoying walls such as Alomomola or Defog Gligar, Memento can help the setup of a sweeper greatly while Aerial Ace is used specifically to remove Virizion, just use whatever move helps the team more.

Last edited:
aight, so I'm gonna post a core that I saw Spirit use and wanted to try out, and it works out very well, and tbh the reason why stall is so good at the moment.

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Sludge Bomb

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail / Grass Knot / Ice Beam

Basically, this is the premier stall core of the tier. Thanks to Weezing's physical bulk, Aromatisse's special bulk, and Slowking's bulk + offensive presence, this is a very difficult core to break. Weezing can switch in on a lot of common mons, such as Rhyperior and Hitmonlee and set up all over them, and is a solid counter to premier offense mons in the tier such as Doublade, Cobalion, and Virizion. Aromatisse passes wishes so that Weezing doesn't get worn down, and can provide cleric support, which is nice because it and Slowking tend to be Toxic bait. Aromatisse is also really the core's main answer to dark types such as Zoroark, who gets hard walled. Slowking has a great niche on stall teams in that it has probably the best defensive ability in the game, as well as providing a solid offensive presence, being able to wall common threats, particularly Delphox.

I'm gonna edit this to be more in-depth later it's like 8 in the morning and im tired af

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A little bulky offensive core I've been messing around with lately, it's very fun:

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Return
- Knock Off

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

The idea behind this (bulky) offensive core is for Cobalion to lure and effectively kill a bunch of sturdy walls that Meloetta-P struggles to bypass, such as Doublade, Gligar, and Alomomola with Hidden Power Ghost, Flash Cannon, and Focus Blast respectively. Calm Mind Cobalion can set up on a bunch of Pokemon such as Golbat, Cinccino, or Amoonguss (provided sleep clause is in effect) among other Pokemon thanks to its typing/natural bulk, and then proceed to sweep/soften the opponent's team after which Meloetta-P can eventually come in on a revenge kill or a Pokemon that doesn't hurt it for much, Relic Song, and then continue to finish off the job. It's a core that depends on the classic "sharing same checks/counters" concept that was popularized with Mence + Quaza in 4th gen ubers, where one of the Pokemon lures the usual checks/counters and the other part of the core finishes them off/sweeps after they have been weakened.

atomicllamas

Okay double posting like a boss

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Return
- Knock Off

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Building Process:

We decided to start with Arikado's core because CM Cobalion seemed pretty cool and unexplored set, and Meloetta-P is an extremely fun Pokemon to play with. Unlike Arikado however, most of us saw this as the start of a Spike-Stacking HO team rather than a bulky offensive team, so we decided to pair the two with a Hazard Lead and a solid Spin Blocker in order to take advantage of the switches forced by these two Pokemon. We hadn't picked the Hazard Setter yet, but we decided to go with Colbur NP Mismagius with Taunt, as it has better synergy with the two than Doublade, and can prevent Defog as well. We decided to go with Omastar as the hazards lead, because it is also capable of beating all the defoggers and it fits both Stealth Rocks and Spikes into one slot, which as you'll see we were very pressed for. In the last two slots, I realized our team was hideously weak to Fire-types, especially Moltres, after Omastar died, which is often going to be turn 2. We came up with a ton of possibilities, but coming up with Pokemon that beat Moltres, don't suck momentum, and prevent Defog is not easy. We even contemplated Scarf Tyrantrum and AV Clawitzer I am ashamed to admit. We decided Sharpedo for the fifth slot because it has speed and donks Moltres, but it can't switch in. Nebuchadnezzar came up with the brilliant suggestion of Archeops, which not only donked Virizion (we were weak to that too), but could even switch into Moltres, which was very nice. We decided to go with Taunt / Roost / Dual STAB because it prevents Defog and makes it a more solid response to Moltres. Then we noticed our crippling weakness to opposing Sharpedo and Jolteon (electric types in general, but mostly Jolteon). So Sharpedo was replaced with Rotom-C to maintain our speed, but also to patch up some of our large weaknesses.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Return
- Knock Off

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Stone Edge
- Acrobatics
- Taunt

We may still be weak to Special Shark, but whatever.

Test it out, let us know how successful we were in building around the core. Any minor (or major) tweaks make it better? Give it a spin and let me know B).

I've been playing around with the team in an alt and I wanted show some calcs about how potent Doublade can be against physical walls to let Melo-P sweep and even some special walls.

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Hidden Power Ghost vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 238-282 (73.9 - 87.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 352-415 (87.1 - 102.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Alomomola: 570-672 (106.7 - 125.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Amoonguss: 169-201 (39.1 - 46.5%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Black Sludge recovery

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Hidden Power Ghost vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 126-150 (31.9 - 38%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 318-374 (78.3 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

+1 252 SpA Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aromatisse: 338-398 (83.2 - 98%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 330-390 (90.6 - 107.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Togetic: 188-224 (59.8 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Golbat: 118-139 (33.3 - 39.2%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 172-204 (48.5 - 57.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Weezing: 273-322 (81.7 - 96.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 193-228 (57.7 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 351-414 (93.8 - 110.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

These were just a few calcs I picked out against common walls in RU and things that Melo-P would have trouble with. I opted to do them with rocks and a layer of Spikes because this team runs Omastar which can easily set that up. Many of the calcs also Cobalion at +2 rather than +1, but I'm sure Arikado can attest that Cobalion is quite capable of attaining those 2 Calm Minds.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh by the way, just so there isn't any confusion or anything. Nominations for this are always open :).

Might post a submission later if i think of something cool

EDIT: Alright, got something

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Voltturn is a solid playstyle across all tiers, but i really havent seen *that* much of it in RU (and almost 0 dedicated voltturn teams lol). in the attempt to make a solid voltturn team for RU, i'm suggesting this as a core to start out with in a future teambuilding workshop. Outside of both learning one of U-turn or Volt Switch, Gligar and Lanturn pair together pretty well defensively. Lanturn can easily take all the Scalds, Hydro Pumps, and Ice Beams thrown at Gligar thanks to its bulk and typing, and can also easily stomach attacks from Moltres: a Pokemon that often uses Gligar as an opportunity to switch in and start firing off nuclear Fire Blasts. Lastly, Lanturn has access to Heal Bell to stop Toxic/random status conditions from Scald/Sludge Bomb etc from ruining Gligar (and the rest of the team's) fun. In return, Gligar can easily take all the Earthquakes aimed at Lanturn, while also providing Defog support to ensure that Lanturn (and the rest of the team) don't get worn down by hazards too quickly. Combine this solid defensive synergy with access to somewhat slow pivoting moves to get both each other and their teammates in safely while also doing some valuable chip damage, and you have a very solid (and annoying) starting core on your hands.

Last edited:
archeops is so bad why the fuck did we agree to putting and why did i miss that terrible pos being on the team ._.

n e ways i want this next team to be u know...not 3/6 aids so here u guys go

Spiritomb @ Leftovers / BlackGlasses
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

b3tter waifu...!!!!
Delphox @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Grass Knot

Basically, this core beats each other's answers and generally break through a large portion of the meta; in particular, Spiritomb forces mindgames with the likes of Slowking, due to its access to Sucker Punch and Pursuit, dealing a huge chunk of damage to it, while Delphox breaks through mons such as Aromatisse due to its large special attack and great STAB combo in conjunction in tandem with Spiritomb.

To go more in-depth, Spiritomb's set is mainly based on prediction, and also works as a great spinblocker, taking care of common spinners such as Hitmonlee and Hitmontop due to its access to Will-O-Wisp, while, at the same time deterring set-up from Sub users such as Braviary and Meloetta due to its access to to Infiltrator. Sucker Punch and Pursuit serve as the main Dark STABs, the former serving as good priority and the latter being able to trap threats it would force out. Shadow Sneak serves as the Ghost STAB and serves as priority without having to rely on Sucker Punch. Delphox is more straightforward, with Fire Blast and Psyshock serving as main STABs and having good coverage, with Shadow Ball to hit opposing Delphox and Grass Knot to lure in mons such as Gastrodon and Seismitoad.

but srsly u can use literally ANYTHING else over archeops and it will still be better on that team because archeops isn't even a good switch-in to moltres (what we were looking for iirc) thanks to the fact that it's insanely frail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)