Hoenn 2.0

Lastly, will anyone here attempt the contests BEFORE completing the main story?
I won't. Honestly, I've never been a fan of contests as is. I don't hate the concept, especially since weaker Pokémon can actually be very good in it. It gives us an alternate way to train out Pokémon. I just think both Gen III and IV didn't really do a good job and just left me uninterested in the whole thing. I'm just hoping they fix it and make it more fun. Though I will certainly try to breed and train some Pokémon for it.
Though to be honest, the Battle Frontier might keep me away from the contest hall.

Welp, I have to announce another update I just found on serebii, the cosplay pikachu is NOT a normal pikachu, it is distinct (a la spiky-eared pichu). So it cannot get any event moves (e.g., ESpeed, Surf) and the only shot it has of getting Volt Tackle is if it comes with it, furthermore you get it after beating a contest for the first time.

Welp, I have to announce another update I just found on serebii, the cosplay pikachu is NOT a normal pikachu, it is distinct (a la spiky-eared pichu). So it cannot get any event moves (e.g., ESpeed, Surf) and the only shot it has of getting Volt Tackle is if it comes with it, furthermore you get it after beating a contest for the first time.
In addition to this...

This screenshot clearly shows the Cosplay Pikachu at Level 20 along with other level 20-24s, pretty much meaning you'll get it early, debunking Cobraroll's theory. From the fact this is a contest entrance screenshot, this means that Contests will be around Hoenn as they were in RS, and you will proooooobably get the Pikachu just before entering Slateport's Contest Hall.

In addition to this...

This screenshot clearly shows the Cosplay Pikachu at Level 20 along with other level 20-24s, pretty much meaning you'll get it early, debunking Cobraroll's theory. From the fact this is a contest entrance screenshot, this means that Contests will be around Hoenn as they were in RS, and you will proooooobably get the Pikachu just before entering Slateport's Contest Hall.
According to serebii you get it after your first contest win, so it will be in verdanturf (where the beginning rank contests were, I believe). But I do HOPE that cosplaychu (that's what I'm calling it) has access to volt tackle, so that it can be a decent physical attacker w/o Light Ball (physical BoltBeam in a dress anyone?). If it has that AND the light ball is easily obtainable, I will be satisfied.

Seems like shiny Beldum is almost exactly the same as Speed Boost Torchic in that it's a Mystery Gift that will be available at launch. (just hope it has Clear Body rather than Light Metal) And is more than likely going to be the only way to obtain the Metagrossite in ORAS. At least you can use Mega Metagross by the Sootopolis City gym, though it may be competing with the Primal box legend for the slot if the latter counts towards the one Mega Evolution per battle limit.

Getting to that point is going to be something of an uphill battle. Beldum knows Take Down...and only Take Down until it evolves into Metang at level 20. While BP 95 is better than the BP 40 of Scratch and Pound, and BP 50 of Tackle, it also has worse accuracy at 85 and recoil damage, which is never fun in-game where your Pokemon aren't automatically healed after each battle. Beldum will be next to useless against Roxanne thanks to her Rock Pokemon's good physical defense stats and resistance to Normal moves, and could be excruciating if against Nosepass should it have Magnet Pull. Brawly seems a little better as it should be a Metang by now and access to Confusion, though won't like Makuhita's Knock Off much. The rest really depend on if it can get some good TM moves in time, but both Team Magma and Team Aqua will give it headaches with their abundance of Dark types and Pokemon that resist Steel. (Fire and Water respectfully) Could still nail the occasional Zubat though.

Seems like shiny Beldum is almost exactly the same as Speed Boost Torchic in that it's a Mystery Gift that will be available at launch. (just hope it has Clear Body rather than Light Metal) And is more than likely going to be the only way to obtain the Metagrossite in ORAS. At least you can use Mega Metagross by the Sootopolis City gym, though it may be competing with the Primal box legend for the slot if the latter counts towards the one Mega Evolution per battle limit.

Getting to that point is going to be something of an uphill battle. Beldum knows Take Down...and only Take Down until it evolves into Metang at level 20. While BP 95 is better than the BP 40 of Scratch and Pound, and BP 50 of Tackle, it also has worse accuracy at 85 and recoil damage, which is never fun in-game where your Pokemon aren't automatically healed after each battle. Beldum will be next to useless against Roxanne thanks to her Rock Pokemon's good physical defense stats and resistance to Normal moves, and could be excruciating if against Nosepass should it have Magnet Pull. Brawly seems a little better as it should be a Metang by now and access to Confusion, though won't like Makuhita's Knock Off much. The rest really depend on if it can get some good TM moves in time, but both Team Magma and Team Aqua will give it headaches with their abundance of Dark types and Pokemon that resist Steel. (Fire and Water respectfully) Could still nail the occasional Zubat though.
TBH when I heard "event" I thought it would be steven's beldum (which made the most sense to me, as he would just give you the offspring of his metagross and a mega stone, similar to diantha in X/Y).

Also pokeblocks are confirmed to return and be made from berries, but nothing else yet.

TBH when I heard "event" I thought it would be steven's beldum (which made the most sense to me, as he would just give you the offspring of his metagross and a mega stone, similar to diantha in X/Y).

Also pokeblocks are confirmed to return and be made from berries, but nothing else yet.
the Shiny Beldum was confirmed today to be an online distribution.

If I may, these images from the main site confirm 5 new mons in the dex between Linoone and Milotic, 2 new mons between Milotic and Pikachu, and 2 more between Pikachu and Salamence.

This matches exactly with where Gallade, Probopass, Magnezone, Budew, Roserade, Dusclops, Chingling, Rhyperior and Froslass would go, so I don't think Buneary or anything else is being added, unless they're tacked on to the end.

If I may, these images from the main site confirm 5 new mons in the dex between Linoone and Milotic, 2 new mons between Milotic and Pikachu, and 2 more between Pikachu and Salamence.

This matches exactly with where Gallade, Probopass, Magnezone, Budew, Roserade, Dusclops, Chingling, Rhyperior and Froslass would go, so I don't think Buneary or anything else is being added, unless they're tacked on to the end.
Damn... that's so annoying. Oh well... now I won't have trouble deciding between Groudon and Lopunny for my in-game team.

In addition to this...

You can obtain/use it after participating in your first contest. What level were your Pokemon at by the time you reached Verdanturf Town the first time?

Makes enough sense.

Well there goes my hopes for cosplay Raichu.

Poor Raichu, in Nintendo's eyes it's the equivalent of a tween idol once they hit 18: fat, lazy, and no longer cute or successful as their younger glory days, despite all the life they have ahead of them. Maybe I can cross my fingers for a mega someday.

Poor Raichu, in Nintendo's eyes it's the equivalent of a tween idol once they hit 18: fat, lazy, and no longer cute or successful as their younger glory days, despite all the life they have ahead of them. Maybe I can cross my fingers for a mega someday.
I fully agree on this. Pikachu's popularity just hurts Raichu and I really do like Raichu.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Yes, but you know that people will be like "oh look, the Pikachu line has got a Mega-Evolution" instead of "oh look, Raichu has got a Mega-Evolution!" Raichu is destined to be Pikachu's mega for the rest of its life! :(

(I don't like Pikachu's popularity either. Pikachu's popularity hurts Pikachu more than it hurts Raichu honestly, since I respect Raichu for having a respectable fanbase given its circumstances).

Beldum knows Take Down...and only Take Down until it evolves into Metang at level 20.
What makes you say that? The Beldums from Pokéwalker and Dream World had more than one move, there's no reason to think this event one will be different.

Anyway, I've tried a starting TakeDown-only Beldum myself in one of the games, and it actually works quite well. Take Down's accuracy/recoil really aren't enough to counteract such a high BP move.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
What makes you say that? The Beldums from Pokéwalker and Dream World had more than one move, there's no reason to think this event one will be different.

Anyway, I've tried a starting TakeDown-only Beldum myself in one of the games, and it actually works quite well. Take Down's accuracy/recoil really aren't enough to counteract such a high BP move.
Why would this event Beldum not only have Take Down? The Beldum from the Pokewalker is an exception because not only do you have to unlock the path you find it on, it is also the rarest Pokemon there alongside Munchlax. Dream World exists to give people unique traits and moves on their Pokemon, so it is not out of the ordinary.

The gimmick of this Beldum distribution is that it is shiny and it is carrying its Mega-Stone. Not moves. As such, it is safe to assume, for now at least, that Beldum only has Take Down.

For pokemon that have been buffed over the gens, I'm surprised this guy hasn't come up yet (although I was waiting for the evolution confirmation):

Magnemite in Gen3 was a decent mid-game addition. Evolved right after you got it, excellent typing, good gym match-ups to finish the game with. The problem was it's movepool is bone dry except for electric.

What's changed? Well, it got this guy:

and some movepool upgrades. Mirror Shot and Flash Cannon give it a secondary STAB to work with (and fairies give it something to hit it with), and the physical/special split means Tri-Attack is now workable. On support it gets magnet rise, patching that 4x ground weakness when you need it (which you might, I remember Winona's Altaria and Tate & Liza surprising me with Earthquake in Emerald). Still barren overall, but you've at least got just enough to work with now.

It also had some ability buffs. For the most part, Magnet Pull is great in Metagame, but useless in-game. Sturdy however gives it an auto-focus sash, and in-game everyone has a recovery move (the item bag! Your unofficial 7th pokemon!).

Now we don't know when or where Magnezone will show up yet, but we do know one thing: Eviolite. Might be worth not evolving to keep Magneton the super-wall around.

Bottom line, this guy is one slick chrome ride to the Elite Four once you get to New Mauville.

For pokemon that have been buffed over the gens, I'm surprised this guy hasn't come up yet (although I was waiting for the evolution confirmation):

Magnemite in Gen3 was a decent mid-game addition. Evolved right after you got it, excellent typing, good gym match-ups to finish the game with. The problem was it's movepool is bone dry except for electric.

What's changed? Well, it got this guy:

and some movepool upgrades. Mirror Shot and Flash Cannon give it a secondary STAB to work with (and fairies give it something to hit it with), and the physical/special split means Tri-Attack is now workable. On support it gets magnet rise, patching that 4x ground weakness when you need it (which you might, I remember Winona's Altaria and Tate & Liza surprising me with Earthquake in Emerald). Still barren overall, but you've at least got just enough to work with now.

It also had some ability buffs. For the most part, Magnet Pull is great in Metagame, but useless in-game. Sturdy however gives it an auto-focus sash, and in-game everyone has a recovery move (the item bag! Your unofficial 7th pokemon!).

Now we don't know when or where Magnezone will show up yet, but we do know one thing: Eviolite. Might be worth not evolving to keep Magneton the super-wall around.

Bottom line, this guy is one slick chrome ride to the Elite Four once you get to New Mauville.
You already acknowledged it, but it's definitely an important note that it's not confirmed that we can evolve Magneton easily. Back in HGSS, they made it purposefully difficult (Not impossible, just kinda hard to do) to evolve anything that gained a gen4 evolution until post-game, so the area/method that Magneton and Nosepass need to be in to evolve may be hard to get to in-game...Though I can't think of a better place to get that Magnezone than New Mauville...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Don't forget that there are a few new islands in the seas of Hoenn now, and they could potentially add a "magnet cave" to one of the islands just to spite New Mauville. I wouldn't take Magneton's easy, early-game evolution for granted just yet.

Don't forget that there are a few new islands in the seas of Hoenn now, and they could potentially add a "magnet cave" to one of the islands just to spite New Mauville. I wouldn't take Magneton's easy, early-game evolution for granted just yet.
They might actually be locations for other events in the game, TBH, but New Mauville is an "electric" place (and you do shut down the generator in the course of the story) so we could have a Magnet-Island or something of the sort. Which reminds me as to the Mossy Rock/Icy Rock, it's obvious the icy rock is in shoal cave, but where would the mossy rock be? Petalburg Woods too obvious?

Back in HGSS, they made it purposefully difficult (Not impossible, just kinda hard to do) to evolve anything that gained a gen4 evolution until post-game, so the area/method that Magneton and Nosepass need to be in to evolve may be hard to get to in-game...
Or unavailable as no location based evolutions (such as Leafeon, Glaceon, or Magnezone) were possible since there were no such locations in either Johto or Kanto. You had to trade with a Sinnoh game to get them (similar to Umbreon and Espeon in FireRed and LeafGreen).

(Wow, I always seem to rain on people's parades. I guess my ability is Drizzle)

This is all true, and honestly Magneton will be great in-game with just his eviolite, so Magnezone is just the cherry on top (well, maybe two cherries).

Wanted to point out that the ORAS thread did some back calculations based on the released pokedex numbers (like Salamence is #198). They found that there were just enough (and ONLY enough) spaces to account for Hoenn regional pokemon that got a later evolution (Magnezone, Gallade, Froslass, etc.). Now this means that it is almost confirmed that they are a part of the regional dex.

I would like to point out that games that blocked evolution (Crobat in FR/LG, Glaceon/Leafeon in HG/SS) didn't have them as part of the regional dex.

So while unconfrimed, it is still very very VERY likely they have a place to evolve into Magnezone.

Or unavailable as no location based evolutions (such as Leafeon, Glaceon, or Magnezone) were possible since there were no such locations in either Johto or Kanto. You had to trade with a Sinnoh game to get them (similar to Umbreon and Espeon in FireRed and LeafGreen).

Hence the "not impossible, just kinda hard to do" portion of my post. You could get a Mamoswine or a Togetic, but it required a little legwork in-game, and I wouldn't be surprised if, once again, you had to be at the right place at the right time or have to trade out for the gen4 evos of certain gen1-3 mons.

~I already have a Dark Aura, it'd take more than that to make me any moodier~

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus

Actually, there are places where they could easily slot in the Leafeon and Glaceon locations if New Mauville is the location for Magneton and Nosepass to evolve. Leafeon's Rock could very easily be put into Petalburg Woods obviously, and Glaceon's Rock at the bottom of Shoal Cave. You do bring up a very good point with the way they did gen 4 and the Umbreon and Espeon evolutions though. We will just have to see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)