Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
theyre pushing the 3ds so hard because the wii u is going to sell more copies by inherent virtue of having gamecube controllers and single-screen multiplayer, i know i still want wii u > 3ds, smash run doesnt look THAT cool

but the way its worded makes it sound like wii u will have more trophies, since it says "the 3ds version alone...' implying that the wii u has even more
Ah, I slightly misread the quote *facepalm* Thats what you get for posting like 5 minutes after you wake up I guess :P

And either way, a lot of people will buy the 3DS version "Because its smash" We all want to know and learn the characters as soon as possible, and I can't imagine them being too different between the games.

I kinda disagree that Wii U'll "inherently" get more sales, if only because the 3DS is a console that is doing well while the Wii U is not, and while people will indeed buy consoles just for Smash, I know that I'd personally prefer if it was for a console I already had, even though the release of Mario Kart 8 definitely helped its install base. It also doesn't help that it comes after the 3DS version, and consumers might not be tantalized into buying both since "they're both Smash," but we'll see.

But yeah, I highly doubt that Wii U'll have less trophies than 3DS; it probably has the same amount, if not more.

The wording of "alone" makes me think, though; perhaps you'll be able to share data [unlockables, trophies, etc] between the Wii U and 3DS versions?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Console version is not going to have less than anything of the portable version, except one less Smash Run. ;[ "Alone" probably means just that, i.e. Smash 4 will have more trophies than Brawl even if you only count the 3DS version (not combined). Presumably we will be able to say the same of the Wii U version, they just happen to be talking about the 3DS because those are the pictures posted (and it releases first).

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Why is there more in the 3DS version?

There better be a good enough reason to buy the WiiU version... Cause so far they are pushing the 3DS so hard without any huge news on the WiiU's "perks" over the 3DS version. Graphics are good, but content is better :(
More than Brawl
Oops people posted already n_n

I for one will be getting the 3DS version on midnight release, but may not be getting a Wii U + Smash U until next summer or later. ;V

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Well considering that 100% of the stages can be turned into a Final Destination style stage, I doubt Sakurai cares much that the regular stages aren't "tournament legal."

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tournament players will never be satisfied until there's an option to permanently turn off items, broken stages and bad characters for all copies of the game, and then install Melee over everything.

Tournament players will never be satisfied until there's an option to permanently turn off items, broken stages and bad characters for all copies of the game, and then install Melee over everything.
I mean I know you're being facetious but none of this is remotely true, lol.

FD is a very polarizing stage so hopefully there will be some variety in terms of other stages that can be used legally in tourneys. There's no need to platform tech chase, there are less recovery options, chain throws run rampant, etc. Playing all matches on an FD-style stage would severely alter characters' usages.

I think it is worth noting that many people affiliated with the current smash scene are eager to jump into smash 4. It's clear that with nintendo's support, smash 4 will be the future. I just hope it doesn't cause the death of melee. :(

Come on, that's a really inconsiderate way of looking at it.

People have expressed gratitude for the new FD mode, but have also been worried, rightfully so, that FD is being perceived as the be all end all perfect stage for competitive play. It's not. The lack of platforms adds a lot of considerable nuances that can greatly change how character matchups are played. It inherently gives certain characters an advantage over others and it's somewhat disappointing to see only final destination getting this treatment instead of just making the "FD mode" spin a stage into some simpler version devoid of significant stage hazards and walk off edges to give us more interesting stages. At the same time, it's not as if the feature is being completely taken for granted, it's just mild disappointment over what's a cool feature that could have been even better. Jumping to some taunt like this off of mild disappointment seems pretty uncalled for.

You're on a competitive gaming website that gets regularly railed on for banning things and being thought of as silly to take a kids game so seriously. Have some sympathy for the competitive side of smash.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wii U version will have smoother graphics, Gamecube controller, one screen multiplayer, the full soundtrack (which will be awesome) and likely some kind of story mode. It will sell quite well I imagine.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The 3ds is the most uncomfortable handheld system I've ever owned, and I haven't been keen on playing fighting games on any handheld before. I don't know whether I want the 3ds version or not. It really depends on how long I'd have to wait to get the Wii U version (which involves getting a Wii U).

The 3ds is the most uncomfortable handheld system I've ever owned, and I haven't been keen on playing fighting games on any handheld before. I don't know whether I want the 3ds version or not. It really depends on how long I'd have to wait to get the Wii U version (which involves getting a Wii U).
Has it really been that uncomfortable for you Von? I recently picked up a 3DSXL and have been loving it, do you have an XL or reg version?
While the 3DS version of smash might not be as good as the upcoming WiiU version I'm sure it will be ok. Hopefully it's not to awkward to play though.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I got it maybe a year after they released, definitely after a major price drop. All handheld devices are in cases, on the backside near the screws there are thick rectangular ridges on the corner, and on the bottom corners there are sharp nubs. Then the seem of the bottom casing that runs rectangular along the whole backside feels very obtrusive as well.

Actually google image searching 3ds backside got me a pic from when I complained about this in the 3ds thread two years ago.

breh

強いだね
I have the regular version. Parts of the bottom casing dig into my skin, and when it's been on long enough it becomes uncomfortably hot.
I don't ever have this problem. Maybe my hands are just smaller (willing to accept this as the possible explanation) but I've never had overheating. I'm real curious how you hold the 3DS if the back ridges are bugging you.

The one thing I've started to notice after playing shovel knight in the past few days is that the dpad on the 3DS is really painful, at least when you're trying to make sharp movements. This isn't real relevant for smash considering that the dpad is more or less a taunt button, though.

I'm pretty glad I upgraded to the XL, and I think it will be fine for Smash.

Wii U version will have smoother graphics, Gamecube controller, one screen multiplayer, the full soundtrack (which will be awesome) and likely some kind of story mode. It will sell quite well I imagine.
Am I the only one who actually prefers the Wii U Pro Controller to the GC?

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I'm pretty glad I upgraded to the XL, and I think it will be fine for Smash.

Am I the only one who actually prefers the Wii U Pro Controller to the GC?
I switched to Wii U Pro Controller when I got Monster Hunter Tri. I then started to use it for Smash Bros as I felt like going wireless. I had to pull up a chair to play with the GC controller since I keep systems in the living room and being that close to a TV would hurt my eyes sometimes. You get used to it with practice and it's not a bad controller for Brawl at all (at least for me).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)