Metagame ORAS/XY PU (Serperior Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, time for my post about interesting finds this week.

Purugly is a fucking beast.

Will go into more in a soon to come edit as I'm on mobile now.

Edit: y'all already tackled why it's a boss. Defiant makes it a monster, sucker punch and fake out have beautiful priority, base 112 speed is bæ, u-turn to pivot, knock off for ghost types, and play rough for fighting types. The set I run is:

Purugly @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Of course, there are so many other moves to run. As far as I see it, Purugly will always be running a 4 attack set, with you plugging the moves you need for your team.

Last edited:
Purugly boasts a terrific amount of offensive pressure similar to what bisharp does in ou via defiant. It also has a really colourful movepool with the coveted u-turn and knock off allowing it to pivot loads of threats and gaining momentum. I use it a lot in nu and it is good but here it is even better.

Purugly is one of the most exciting Pokemon to use in PU. With its ability Defiant, it is a pretty powerful Defog blocker that can threaten common Defog users like Mantine, while also gaining a Defiant boost from the ever present Sticky Web. Its Return at +2 is pretty powerful, but even without the Defiant boost, Purugly is a strong attacker that outspeeds most of the metagame with its impressive base 112 Speed, outpacing some big threats like Raichu, though unfortunately missing out on Sneasel. It has Knock Off as well, which prevents it from being walled by Ghost-types like Misdreavus (even though Missy can deal with Purugly if it is under Sticky Web, as it is fast enough to get off a Will-o-Wisp while avoiding Sucker Punch). Overall, one of the bigger threats in the tier.

Magnemite post about Poliwrath now.

A mon that I have found to be really effective in the current meta is Poliwrath. In addition to being one of the only good fighting-types in the tier, Poliwrath is really effective in this meta because it is a great check to all of Samurott (it pretty much hard counters non-grass knot sets which is amazing), Carracosta, Barbaracle, and Sneasel, which are 4 of the biggest threats in the entire tier, making it an amazing glue mon for offensive teams. Here is the set I'm using:

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Circle Throw
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up

There is probably a much better set than this but I was too lazy to try to make one. Circle Throw is really nice when paired with Spikes users because it lets you rack up damage on bulky mons like Musharna (which is basically impossible to 2HKO outside of super effective STAB lol, I might make a post about it later if I get a chance to test it a bit more). I've never really had a chance to use Bulk Up in the matches I've played, as it's mainly just filler, but I can't really think of anything better in that slot.

also, if you're reading this you should join #pu on IRC by clicking here: http://mibbit.com/#pu@irc.synirc.net . It's pretty quiet right now, but it's a nice place to discuss the tier and probably the best place to find battles before we get a ladder.

also here are two replays of user: TRC getting rekt:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-150203822

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-150233633

edit: lol timing

On the subject of Poliwrath, a set I've been itching to try:

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall
- Encore

Gets up sub, breaks walls. Quite simple really. may elaborate more in a bit

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Leafeon and Drifblim are two pretty cool Pokemon as well. Leafeon can pass Swords Dance boosts around thanks to its good Speed and bulk, similar to what it does in NU. Its typing is quite good to check Water-types like Samurott and it even gets Knock Off as well.

Drifblim is a great Pokemon that's quite underrated too. Not only can it accomplish basic feats like spinblocking and 6-0ing CyclicCompound, it outspeeds the entire metagame (most Scarfers too) after an Unburden boost, and as we all know Acrobatics being a Flying STAB is pretty good in this metagame. You can also run a Calm Mind set with Shadow Ball and Tbolt, and support moves like Disable, Will-O-Wisp, Defog, Memento, and Destiny Bond. Drifblim's movepool is really wide and it can accomplish a lot. Try it out!

Replay dump, not necessarily showcasing the above Pokemon:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-150234872
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-150229694
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-150227251
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-150224497

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been trying Murkrow in a few test battles and I have to say it's pretty good. I can't really decide on what's the best set (it has a lot of viable moves) but this looks pretty good so far:

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD OR 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold / Calm Nature
- Roost
- Foul Play / Brave Bird
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt / Perish Song / Haze

I haven't been able to test it out much due to the lack of a ladder but in the couple of battles I've tested it in it's been a pretty big factor. Most notably, Thunder Wave allows Murkrow to seriously threaten the many prominent sweepers in RU, and considering the rarity of Electric- and Ground-types in the tier, it's really easy to spam Thunder Wave and be sure to impede something (as long as you have a solid switch-in to Piloswine and Golem you're golden). Murkrow is also really great as a switch-in to Specs or Chlorophyll Exeggutor, which is a really powerful Pokemon in this metagame.

It's also great for if you're super weak to Drifblim - just saying.

The move options are pretty straightforward except for the last slot. Roost is surprisingly handy on Murkrow, as it gets priority and therefore makes Murkrow's life a long longer than you'd expect for a Pokemon with 60/42/42 defenses (considering Murkrow forces a lot of switches, it's not too hard to find ample time to Roost). Foul Play and Brave Bird are both solid attacks since none of Murkrow's other moves deal damage. In the last slot, Taunt is really cool as it gets priority and can stop stuff like Garbodor from trying to take advantage of you. Perish Song is cool for beating stuff like last mon Calm Mind Musharna or just forcing things out in general. Haze is usually not that great on most Pokemon, but the priority can actually make it useful, and I can see it working in several last-ditch situations. As an example, say your opponent is using Lum Berry Barbaracle and they boost with Shell Smash as you switch in Murkrow. Thunder Wave accomplishes nothing thanks to Lum Berry, but Haze lets you nullify its boosts and take it out the next turn with some other Pokemon that wouldn't have been able to check it once boosted.

An offensive set seems like it might be cool too - base 85 attacking stats, 91 Speed, and both Dark- and Flying-type STABs are nowhere near unusable. It's a pity it doesn't get Knock Off!

Reactions: trc
okay, so i've been trying out sun, and it's been doing really well so far. Sun has basically everything it needs to succeed in PU. It has good setters such as lead golem, which lets you get up sr and sun decently easily, and volbeat which is really useful outside of sunny day support too since it has room for both prankster encore and t-wave, both of which are great panic buttons against dangerous sweepers. Sun also greatly benefits from the fact the main chlorophyll users, leafeon and exeggutor, are both top-tier threats even without sun support, but with it, they turn into complete monsters. There's also Victreebel, which is almost impossible to stop under sun if it gets a growth boost up. While PU lacks strong, fast Fire-types, the sheer power of Choice Band Flareon in sun kind of makes up for that, as shown by this absurd calc:

252+ Atk Choice Band Flareon Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Musharna in Sun: 393-463 (90.1 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (for reference, LO Sneasel only does 73% max to Musharna with Knock Off)
(also it 2hkoes Barbaracle in the sun with Flare Blitz if you get a Flash Fire Boost rofl) There are also other Fire-types such as Heatmor that could work well, but I haven't tried any of them yet.

Overall, while i haven't played that many games with it yet, I definitely think that sun is a great playstyle in PU, and it's certainly fun to use as well. replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-150555482

Also, Specs Exeggutor is more blind than Moltres, users: TRC and CyclicCompound can confirm

Last edited:
Guys, let's think about Monferno for a second?
I believe Monferno will do great in this tier, Since it's (If I'm not mistaken) our only fast fighting type.
Monferno can be so versitile. You can give it a band with CC, Fire and Ice Punch and U-Turn. With webs up, this thing sweeps.
You can go even Specially Defensive with Eviolite and Bulk Up, Slack Off (Yes, It gets Slack Off) Fire Punch and SR
It's also our only real check to Sneasel, which is gonna be the king of this tier if this thing doesn't get used more

Sand is also gonna be a BIG thing in this tier. Wanna know why? One reason : STOUTLAND
With Sand Rush and a Choice Band and with Those stats? y'all better watch out

Here are some calcs if you need any convincing:
Monferno first
- 252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Monferno Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Togetic: 160-190 (50.9 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Monferno Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 141-166 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now Stoutland
-252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Togetic: 186-220 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
-252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 139-165 (40.4 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

I don't see Beheeyem beating Lilligant because it gets 2HKO'd as it is and Lilligant can just put it to sleep.

Also, I feel like the Modest nature is wasted when you're investing so much into physical bulk. Either run fully defensive to survive and hit back with Analytic boosted attacks or let something else be your Sawk check.
From what I know this is the optimal EV spread, but I can tinker a bit more to see if I can make it work. The point I was trying to make is that Beheeyem can be just as spooky in PU as any other threat previously mentioned.

I believe Monferno will do great in this tier, Since it's (If I'm not mistaken) our only fast fighting type.
Monferno can be so versitile. You can give it a band with CC, Fire and Ice Punch and U-Turn. With webs up, this thing sweeps.
You can go even Specially Defensive with Eviolite and Bulk Up, Slack Off (Yes, It gets Slack Off) Fire Punch and SR
It's also our only real check to Sneasel, which is gonna be the king of this tier if this thing doesn't get used more

Sand is also gonna be a BIG thing in this tier. Wanna know why? One reason : STOUTLAND

Monferno first
- 252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Monferno Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Togetic: 160-190 (50.9 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Monferno Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 141-166 (42.2 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now Stoutland
-252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Togetic: 186-220 (59.2 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
-252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 139-165 (40.4 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
Monferno can be so versitile. You can give it a band with CC, Fire and Ice Punch and U-Turn.
You can give it a band with CC, Fire and Ice Punch and U-turn.
Ice Punch
>implying Monferno gets Ice Punch

Monferno first

Now Stoutland
Monferno is banned in NU and thus banned in PU too

Monferno is banned in NU and thus banned in PU too
You are thinking of combusken, lol at the thought of monferno being banned in nu. Monferno seems like a pokemon that is really bad or reallt good. Anyways I'd like to bring up two pokemon that were brought up on irc being Frogadier and Diglett. Diglett can trap and ohko bastiodon if banded, frogadier can clean relatively well and hit harder specially on every attack bar water stab, it also have u-turn over samurott. Diglett seems like a good pokemon and frogadier seems like a really good pokemon as in fearsome with it's power. What are your thoughts on frogadier and diglett?

Oh, that's true, lol
Well, while it does lack Ice Punch it can use Thunder Punch to the same effect against pokemon weak to it.
One pokemon I like in this tier is Bulky Shelgon with Wish. It can phase with roar and provide useful support with wish to pokemon such as Flareon (who is a cool partner with good special bulk and resistance to ice and fairy). Shame it can't use it with Overcoat.

Monferno first

Now Stoutland
I mean, monferno is by no means awful, but it's main niche (and i mean NICHE, basically shit outside of it) in NU was taking down Shiftry. Here that obviously isn't relevant. I GUESS it can check Sneasel to an extent, but we have Poliwrath for that, which is infinitely more reliable for it. On it's own, Monferno HAS to set up to do any damage, and it's typing isn't granting too many set up opportunities, especially in WaterSpam: The Tier

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
In terms of hazard removal, there really isn't much. Wartortle, Avalugg, Torkoal, Articuno, Murkrow. Nothing really that special or stand-out in any way, though they do have little advantages; Murkrow is especially promising as it has priority Thunder Wave to stop sweepers cold.
Minor nitpick - this is actually not the case. Defog is a 4th-gen exclusive move for Murkrow, meaning it's incompatible with Prankster. Here's hoping ORAS fixes that.

In terms of hazard removal, there really isn't much. Wartortle, Avalugg, Torkoal, Articuno, Murkrow. Nothing really that special or stand-out in any way, though they do have little advantages; Murkrow is especially promising as it has priority Thunder Wave to stop sweepers cold.
Swanna, Pelipper, Mantine, Togetic and Vullaby are all promising Defoggers, though there isn't much for spinners other than the three you mentioned. Avalugg is probably the best choice of Spinner since it has Crunch for spinblockers, recovery and is so physically bulky.

Swanna, Pelipper, Mantine, Togetic and Vullaby are all promising Defoggers, though there isn't much for spinners other than the three you mentioned. Avalugg is probably the best choice of Spinner since it has Crunch for spinblockers, recovery and is so physically bulky.
Even with stuff like avvalugg defoge is really the way to go. Avalugg is extremely weak to all forms of hazards most notably stealth rock and the always crippling toxic spikes. Defog will almost always work out better for teams even with good defiant mons like purugly to discourage it since all the spinners are so subpar atm

Well you can't really run Defog on spike stacking teams so there you are forced to run something like tentacool who seems like an interesting mon.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't like the sound of Tentacool as a spinner. imo if your team needs spin support so much that you're resorting to using a spinner, you'd best find one that can actually spin vs Ghost-types and do its job reliably. Otherwise, don't bother with spinning unless you're using the Pokemon for some other really good niche purpose, and I don't see what else Tentacool does apart from beat special Samurott(?)

Shell Smash Torkoal is probably one of the tier's best spinners because it can actually beat Ghosts by smashing, outspending and 2HKOing, while Haunter gets KOed on the switch. Wartortle is another alright one thanks to Foresight, although the problem is that it loses lots of momentum. It could be worth it for teams that run Articuno and Scyther or something, though. Finally Armaldo is probably an alright spinner now that it got Knock Off to mess with Drifblim / Haunter and it can sorta wear down Dusclops/noir. I guess Avalugg can beat Drifblim and Haunter but it can't really get past Dusknour, so idk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)