Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that Altaria is getting offensive increases tbt. Its Typing makes it a fine wall, but it would be able to have some power behind it for once as it wouldn't be sitting duck like say Cresselia can be found (im thinking of comparing it a bit to Hippowdon due to its High Base Power moves and utility) so I find it all the better.

And........I sorta am looking forward a little to using an Intimidate to Mega Mence. hopefully can survive a mamo ice shard by then after SR (if factoring in at least a 116 Base Defense and jolly Swine)
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 203-239 (61.1 - 71.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Still hate it tho.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
My obviously spot-on predictions for the stat spreads:

Salamence - 95/155/130/130/90/100 (+0/+20/+50/+20/+10/+0)
Altaria - 75/110/110/110/105/80 (+0/+40/+20/+40/+0/+0)
Lopunny - 65/136/94/54/96/135 (+0/+60/+10/+0/+0/+30)

I seriously think Altaria doesn't need more than that spread, and the wording even hints so (two "big boosts" and then a third, obviously smaller one). Salamence's design and the official wording ("its Defense stat soars") will certainly favor a really big boost to Defense and scattering the remaining points elsewhere, and Lopunny seriously needs EVERYTHING it can put its paws on to work lol (but even then, I doubt a +70 increase).

My obviously spot-on predictions for the stat spreads:

Salamence - 95/155/130/130/90/100 (+0/+20/+50/+20/+10/+0)
Altaria - 75/110/110/110/105/80 (+0/+40/+20/+40/+0/+0)
Lopunny - 65/136/94/54/96/135 (+0/+60/+10/+0/+0/+30)

I seriously think Altaria doesn't need more than that spread, and the wording even hints so (two "big boosts" and then a third, obviously smaller one). Salamence's design and the official wording ("its Defense stat soars") will certainly favor a really big boost to Defense and scattering the remaining points elsewhere, and Lopunny seriously needs EVERYTHING it can put its paws on to work lol (but even then, I doubt a +70 increase).
I'd much rather see Mence gain those last 10 points in speed rather than SpD - gaining access to the 110 speed group is important considering it's flying STAB against all the fighting types at 108 and down. Otherwise, that spread is almost exactly what I was thinking.

Mario With Lasers

I think even Game Freak realizes Aerilate MegaMence with 110 Speed would be a *bit* too much. Speed is the most important stat after all and they know that too, I believe they would have mentioned it if were increased, even if only by 10.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
New contest info has been released. With the exception of Megas, the structure is the same. I'm relieved and excited at the same time because I didn't like the D/P Super Contests and sans Mega Evolutions, the original structure is retained.

Some bad news for those of you wanting to use the new Pikachus:
After you take part in your first contest, you will be able to get this Cosplay Pikachu on your team. You can change Cosplay Pikachu's costumes anytime in the green room at any Contest Hall. Note: Other Pikachu that you catch or obtain cannot dress up in these costumes. Only the Cosplay Pikachu that you receive at the Contest Hall can dress up in contests.
It's probably like Gizamimi Pichu 2.0, can't be traded or transferred....and this one is likely illegal with any egg moves/preevo levelup moves Pikachu can learn. No Fake Out, 50/50 on whether it will keep Volt Tackle, no Nasty Plot....yuck!

EDIT: And yay....Wi-Fi Contests confirmed!

Last edited:
Personally I would rather no boosts be given to Speed - that was Mega Pinsir can still be faster and still have SOMETHING over Megamence.
You mean +2 atk boost in one turn, Close Combat, and Aeriate boosted priority? Salamence will be faster after one Dragon Dance anyways but it's not hitting +2 atk on a forced switch. And it doesn't have Quick Attack, which is the biggest reason Mega Pinsir is so pro. In fact M-Salamence still lacks priority in general which is a big deal as priority is the most power creeped element of gen 6. They'll def compete with each other but there's pros and cons there for sure. Pinsir will not be in Mence's shadow until Quick Attack is added to Salamence's movepool.

Personally I would rather no boosts be given to Speed - that was Mega Pinsir can still be faster and still have SOMETHING over Megamence.
Mega Pinsir definitely has something over Salamence. Mence doesn't have the ability to get to +2 in one turn and more notably has NO priority.

You might say that DD can cover both of these flaws but, in a lot of cases, it really doesn't considering the power difference of +1 and +2 and how lacking priority makes Salamence even more susceptible to an Ice Shard death.

One could argue that if Salamence doesn't get a speed boost to push it past the base 100 threshold, it will be seen as the inferior Aerialite user.

An ideal M-Salamence spread (to make it the irrefutably superior Aerialite abuser would be the following:

HP: 95 --> 95 (+0)
Atk: 135 --> 165 (+30)
Def: 80 --> 120 (+40)
SpA: 110 --> 130 (+20)
SpD: 80 --> 80 (+0)
Spe: 100 --> 110 (+10)

or something similar.

You mean +2 atk boost in one turn, Close Combat, and Aeriate boosted priority? Salamence will be faster after one Dragon Dance anyways but it's not hitting +2 atk on a forced switch. And it doesn't have Quick Attack, which is the biggest reason Mega Pinsir is so pro. In fact M-Salamence still lacks priority in general which is a big deal as priority is the most power creeped element of gen 6. They'll def compete with each other but there's pros and cons there for sure. Pinsir will not be in Mence's shadow until Quick Attack is added to Salamence's movepool.
Or if GF really wants to troll Pinsir they'll give Salamence Extremespeed. It'll be interesting to see Salamence's new spread especially if it gets Garchomped and loses points.

Or if GF really wants to troll Pinsir they'll give Salamence Extremespeed. It'll be interesting to see Salamence's new spread especially if it gets Garchomped and loses points.
I know we don't have any grounds to say this crap yet, but just looking at banning trends, ESpeed Aerialte BST700 Dragon Dance Mega Salamence with enough def to avoid Ice Shard revenge kills will get banned, like pretty much no doubt.

EDIT: lol, what am I talking about? Ice Shards won't even be hitting it at +1 speed and +2 priority tier anyways.... (also please no Garchomping, I'd rather it keep its speed)
New contest info has been released. With the exception of Megas, the structure is the same. I'm relieved and excited at the same time because I didn't like the D/P Super Contests and sans Mega Evolutions, the original structure is retained.

It's probably like Gizamimi Pichu 2.0, can't be traded or transferred....and this one is likely illegal with any egg moves/preevo levelup moves Pikachu can learn. No Fake Out, 50/50 on whether it will keep Volt Tackle, no Nasty Plot....yuck!

I can't express how glad I am contests will be the same. And there will be WiFi contests! Holy crap YES!! Too bad cosplay is limited to that one no Volt Tackle Pikachu though. Still, it's more new stuff for Pikachu than most people would have expected.

Last edited:
In regards to the Cosplay Pikachu, assuming emerald's move tutors return, it would still have Thunder Punch at the very least.

And Wild Charge...?
Right, forgot Wild Charge was a thing because Volt Tackle completely outclasses it on regular Pikachu, haha

90BP STAB isn't bad at all. Bellechu will still be neat. I'm interested to see if Cosplay Pikachu has different base stats akin to eternal floette, or even different stats based on the costume

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mega Pinsir has a really shit defensive typing and has to rely on Quick Attack to deal with anything faster than it.

Mega Salamence has the potential to go mixed (it has Hyper Voice you guys), Intimidate pre-Mega, probably better bulk thanks to having a base 95 HP stat, Dragon Dance to let it run Adamant, and its secondary STAB isn't useless.

*Spits out drink*

Wifi Contests?!? YESSSS!

New meta game! :D We're gonna be the place to go to for Contest strategies and people will hate us even more! It'll be awesome!

Last edited:
Mega Pinsir has a really shit defensive typing and has to rely on Quick Attack to deal with anything faster than it.

Mega Salamence has the potential to go mixed (it has Hyper Voice you guys), Intimidate pre-Mega, probably better bulk thanks to having a base 95 HP stat, Dragon Dance to let it run Adamant, and its secondary STAB isn't useless.
No, I agree with you, and I think most people do or will. It's just that lacking priority is a bigger and bigger deal. The main point is just that Salamence will not eclipse Pinsir, and not that Salamence is worse or something.
*Spits out drink*

Wifi Contests?!? YESSSS!

New meta game! :D We're gonna be the place to go to for Contest strategies and people will hate us even more!
Yeah! Yes! Yeah! I totally said this too!!! haha, there's gonna need to be a new forum for competitive contesting.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Mega Salamence has the potential to go mixed (it has Hyper Voice you guys).
It's relieving to know substitute isn't going to be saving my ass anytime soon now. I was already nervous of Mega Mence but that just pushed it. At least it is Gen V tutor move only for now, but wouldn't be too surprised if it is a tutor move this one as well.

As stated above, I am totally in on the idea of Contest metagames. It is about time the mindgames became more artistic and stylish.

I'm kinda doubting that Sally won't get any speed boosts at all. That new design makes it look really streamlined and jet-like; even if it's just a minor boost, I see it coming, personally.

As for "Game Freak know Salamence shouldn't get the boost to speed"

>gamefreak in charge of balance

I'm kinda doubting that Sally won't get any speed boosts at all. That new design makes it look really streamlined and jet-like; even if it's just a minor boost, I see it coming, personally.
Looking at it now, it doesn't really look like a jet. More like a hang glider. When I think of a fast moving flying type I think a pokemon should look like it can flap its wings, and Salamence doesn't look like it can do that. If anything it should get -10 speed so it avoids being too good.

Mega Salamence's description on the site talks about it's gliding speed slicing anything in it's path, AS WELL AS mention additional boosts to it's other "already high stats." A minor boost of +10 to speed is not out of the question.

Wifi contests >>>> all.

Mario With Lasers

As for "Game Freak know Salamence shouldn't get the boost to speed"

>gamefreak in charge of balance
Even Masuda realized Kangaskhan might be broken (but then he changed his mind after noticing the playerbase learned how to work around it).

And, um, you know the Latis literally become jetplanes when in Mega and they didn't get a boost, right ?__?

I've been replaying Emerald while I am waiting for this to come out. I just got my egg from Pokemon Box R/S. It's not much for competitive play but a fairy type False Swipe on Mega Altaria should be nice for in game catching purposes since the only thing Normal (in non mega form) and fairy wouldn't be able to leave with 1HP easily would be steel types. This would make it the first non normal type False Swipe clone (even though it's still false swipe) since Hold Back is also Normal.

Edit: Forgot about Mega Pinser getting False Swipe too. So that's a flying False Swipe.

Last edited:
Might have been mentioned already, but since everyone is talking about megas right now, I'll bring it up anyway.

Assuming that the information on this page is true, Salamence's pokedex number in ORAS is now 198, but Salamence was 189 in the original Hoenn dex. This means that there are at least 9 pokemon added to the Hoenn dex.

It is also worth noting that there are 9 pokemon from the fourth generation who are either evolutions or pre-evolutions of pokemon who were in the original Hoenn dex. These pokemon include: Gallade, Probopass, Magnezone, Budew, Roserade, Dusknoir, Chingaling, Rhyperior, and Froslass. This seems like a perfect fit, 9 new pokemon/ 9 new spaces, until we take into account that since Mega Lopunny is now a thing, we can deduce that both Buneary and Lopunny will be available, bring the current total number of new pokemon up to 11.

Therefore, there are several possibilities regarding additions to the new Hoenn dex:

1. Only the fourth gen pokemon who are related to pokemon from the original Hoen dex will be added to the new dex. Meaning Buneary and maybe some others will only be available after the national dex is obtained. (Possible, but all of the "related" pokemon are obtained through the use of evolving with items that didn't exist yet, bred with incense that didn't exist yet, or evolve in places with high magnetism which I don't recall Hoenn ever having a place like that. It is all dependent of whether GF gives us these items/locations pre or post E4.)

2. The Buneary line and some other pokemon (possibly some but not all from the "related" list) are added to the new dex and therefore available pre E4.

3. A combination of 1 and 2 with some pokemon after Salamence in the dex. (Though since the only other pokemon after Salamence in the original dex is the Beldum line and the legendaries, this seems unlikely.)

4. The information I linked above is false and you should disregard everything I just said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)