Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2 questions here.

1- When will Volkraken's flavor ability of Pressure be implemented on the server?
2- I feel like I pulled a Deck Knight by advocating for Pressure early on (or as some call it, "hijacking"), and it eventually became the winning ability. Is that a bad thing?

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
2 questions here.

1- When will Volkraken's flavor ability of Pressure be implemented on the server?
2- I feel like I pulled a Deck Knight by advocating for Pressure early on (or as some call it, "hijacking"), and it eventually became the winning ability. Is that a bad thing?
1. Volkraken's flavor Ability will go on soon enough, whenever the Showdown guys have time to add it and reset the server. It shouldn't be long.

2. No, there's nothing wrong with what you did in the Flavor Ability thread, somebody's got to post first and whoever posts early has the added benefit of others discussing your ideas. "Hijacking" isn't a problem; if you post a good idea early on and people discuss it then that just means people like your idea. Pulling a Deck Knight isn't anything to be sad about, it's only called that because it works.

I know Mega Evolutions aren't taking place at the same time as a CAP is going, but is there any sign of this topic getting discussed soon? I know some people have brought up the idea of revamping old CAPs to fit in with the new generation and Mega Evolution was a way of doing that. Any idea if this is going to get discussed soon if at all?

DetroitLolcat

I know Mega Evolutions aren't taking place at the same time as a CAP is going, but is there any sign of this topic getting discussed soon? I know some people have brought up the idea of revamping old CAPs to fit in with the new generation and Mega Evolution was a way of doing that. Any idea if this is going to get discussed soon if at all?
Mega Evolution is on the docket for PR this cycle, so it'll get discussed and (hopefully) a conclusion will be reached before CAP19 begins. As you said, we won't be making Mega Evolutions alongside regular CAPs, but we will definitely discuss the role of Mega Evolution in the CAP process, especially revamping old CAPs to fit in with the new generation.

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
How do you pronounce all of the cap names?
I'm having trouble with ones like: "Cyclohm" "Revenankh" and "Arghonaut".

pls dont judge i want to say fan made pokemon names out loud

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I think tevenankh is reven-onk cyclohm is sortf of like cyclone and arghonaut is ar-go-not

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This thread includes the original posts for the name submissions for CAPs 1-8, most of which include pronunciation

For the ones you listed:

Cyclohm: "Cyclone" + "Ohm" hence pronounce it by mashing the two together (Sai-cloh-m)

Revenankh: "Revenant" + "Ankh", Deck Knight's original pronunciation was Rev-en-ahn-k

Arghonaut: "Argh" + "Argonaut", just make a stereotypical pirate sound and add the back end of astronaut onto it (YAARRR-go-naut)

1. I expect beforehand to get an answer in the negative, but will there be any chance of CAP-mons getting 3D models like all the official Pokémon have/will have in X, Y, OR and AS?

2. Are we going to do pre-evolutions for previous CAPs that never had a chance to get that vote? I know that CAPASB has some unofficial pre-evolutions like Breezi and Nohface.

3. Why can't we run several projects simultaneously, like pre-evolutions with new CAPs or - if it comes to pass - new Mega Evolutions for old CAPs?

DetroitLolcat

Psyco_Josho

1. I don't believe anything like that is being planned, if an artist would like to back me up on that it would be nice.

2. If/When we have time, we do plan to work on pre-evolutions for existing CAP Pokemon.

3. We're not in any rush to produce these pre-evolutions or potential Mega Evolutions, so there's really no point in dividing our attention. If we get to a point when we have so many Pokemon creations planned, there's no reason why we couldn't work on multiple flavor projects at once. When CAPs have two pre-evolutions, we work on those simultaneously anyway. But the reason we stick to one project at a time is because we don't want to divide our efforts.

Hullo. Got a few questions that connect to each other:

1. Is it permitted to vote for your own entry in a poll?
2. If so, is it frowned upon?
1. Yep! You can see it being done by a few others, including myself.
2. Not really, but if you feel like it's something selfish to do, feel free not to do it.

Last edited:

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
hello cap community im somwhat new here an i just wanted some pointers on what to you guys makes a good pokemon
Hi there, and welcome the the Create-a-Pokemon board!

This is an excellent question, and one that we frequently discuss on our social outlets with dozens of other Create-a-Pokemon users! If you're interested in talking about these kinds of theoretical questions, I recommend visiting our IRC channel, #cap, on the SynIRC server. You can find out more about the channel here.

Additionally, the Create-a-Pokemon Project has its own Pokemon Showdown! room, where you can talk about upcoming projects and the CAP Metagame. You can reach that room on the main page of Pokemon Showdown!.

Ive got one question here:

Are editing final submissions in pokedex entries allowed? Because I final submitted my post and the commenters pointed out a mistake, so I want to change that.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Ive got one question here:

Are editing final submissions in pokedex entries allowed? Because I final submitted my post and the commenters pointed out a mistake, so I want to change that.
I will clarify this later with one of the mods, but as I am running the process, I have no problem with you editing the Dex entry as long as it remains legal.

Where do we post OMs involving CAPmons? Do we still send them to OM submissions or do we PM a CAP moderator for approval in the CAP forum?

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Where do we post OMs involving CAPmons? Do we still send them to OM submissions or do we PM a CAP moderator for approval in the CAP forum?
Something like that would probably be more appropriate for the Other Metagames forum. While the CAP forums only really have place for the main metagame, OM generally is accepting to all kinds of simulator possible metagames.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Planning to submit another spread when the stat polls come around. Why would one desire high HP and lower defenses or low HP and higher defenses (i.e. 70 HP and 100 Defense vs. 100 HP and 70 Defense)?

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There are various reasons for wanting to go one way or that other. To name a few, lower HP stat allows more easily for a bigger discrepancy between defenses, as HP effects both defensive stats. Additionally, while not a huge determinant nowadays, HP can determine how well a Pokemon deals with set damage or recovery moves. While it is easy to have a Pokemon with an HP of 100 have the same bulk as one with 50, the one with 100 takes set damage attacks, like a Chansey's Seismic Toss better, while the one with 50 makes much better use of draining moves such as Giga Drain or Leech Seed.

These differences also effect how EV investment can be optimized, though I don't really know a good way to describe that off the top of my head.

Would it be okay to submit any fan art of the current CAP's Art Submissions in the Kitchen, or would I have to wait until submissions are over?

How do I post artwork? I wanna make a design for CAP19 when the time is right so I need to learn how. (If this sounds stupid, I dunno, I REALLY suck at IT skills.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)