Doubles Viability Rankings (C- Votes if u care lol)

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Heatran for A+ Definitely on par with other a+ pokes. Like rotom-w, has a nice type with useful resistances (but weaknesses still work) with much more of an offensive presence (a spread move stronger than terrak's rock slide). Not to mention its natural bulk :3.

Keldeo for A
I hope its not to do with personal bias, but this thing is amazing. Its dual stab lets it hit everything but amoo/megasaur for at least neutral damage (3/4 sranks for se damage) and has a decent speed (too bad lati's and thundi :<). Quick guard is great utility, whilst taunt helps vs bulkier checks and icy wind can break faster switch ins. Its comparable to terrak, though doesnt have a nice spread move, but has a better defensive typing, and more spammable secondary stab (although secret sword lacks raw cc power).

Keldeo for A, honestly; its basically a Terrakion without a spread move / a weaker Fighting-type STAB, though it does have the benefit of not caring about burns / Intimidate.
Heatran for A+, still a really metagame-defining Pokemon that forces shit like Sylveon to run HP Ground.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Heatran is A+ still a great mon that can put a lot of pressure on opponents if they have the wrong mons out, even if it's not S anymore.

Keldeo is A- middling coverage that gets hard walled by several common dubs mons, no spread move (other than Icy Wind, which is nice but not spammable), not quite strong enough to land all the KOs it would like, type stacks with so many other good waters and fightings that it's sometimes hard to fit into a team... obviously still a great mon tho since I did vote it up from B+ into A to start :)

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor
Heatran for A+: Still very threatening, but not S-rank material
Keldeo for A: Eh I don't really know, but it is a pretty good quick guard user, and has a good typing being both a kanga counter and lando counter while being a sp atker

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
keldeo isn't as good as they hype its getting on ps, sorry... A- for sure

heatran a+

edit: secret sword has a weak base power, it lacks a spread move, and it's just generally not as good as terrakion Arcticblast

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This statement is absolutely fucking wrong. Water/Fighting backed by 129/108 offenses is incredible, and a workable support pool for the last slot makes it even better. It handily beats or at least repels some of the top picks in the metagame right now (Kanga / Bisharp / Lando-T anyone?) and even some of the things that beat risk being temporarily crippled - Rotom-W doesn't want to take a Secret Sword, Togekiss and Thund hate Taunt/QG respectively, and Amoonguss isn't really that hard to cover. Unlike other special attackers, it doesn't rely on a move with a negative side effect like Draco Meteor and its weaknesses aren't common like Rock/Ice. And seriously it just puts in so much work in battles

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

heatran a+

edit: secret sword has a weak base power, it lacks a spread move, and it's just generally not as good as terrakion Arcticblast
Nothings stopping you from using both, in fact they actually work pretty well together since Keldeo can spank Lando-T which is a big threat to Terrakion. Plus you can run Quick Guard on one and Taunt on the other to cover all your bases. srsly I never know whether to choose quick guard or taunt =[

edit: may as well vote while I'm here.

Tran A+
Keld A- (I know I just supported it but it does have a lot of issues that I wasn't commenting on)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
tran: a+
keld: a-

im sorry keldeo but given the choice of 120 BP Fighting STAB and 85 BP Fighting STAB its not hard to realize that youre inferior

also u dont check kang or zard

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Heatran: A+. Easy decision
Keldeo: A-. Very difficult decision

The main reason for A- for Keldeo is that its strongest STABs have horrible accuracy (85% is my cut-off for acceptable accuracy), and Keldeo is one of those Pokemon that relies on raw power when it's not hitting super-effectively, whilst it needs the hit with Hydro Pump when it uses. 129 base power is great

Other lesser reasons
-in practice quite predictable
-Gets great screwed over by some common Pokemon. One of its STABs is crippled by one of the most popular Pokemon in the metagame, Zard Y (who also fairs well against Keldeo). This really hinders Keldeo, as whilst Water/Fighting is great coverage, lone Fighting-type coverage has tons of resists. Amoonguss and Talonflame also are pretty good at stopping Keldeo in its tracks. At least Heatran can run Shuca to screw over those Ground-types
-Terrakion, by comparison, hits harder with more accurate STABs and is, in practice, less predictable

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Heatran: A+
Keldeo: A (if I had it my way it would also be A+ but I'm alone in thinking it's much better than Terrakion so yeah)

(BAN ME PLEASE): A+
Pony: A
I think that Keldeo has at least a slightly different niche than Terrakion, and shouldn't be compared so harshly. There are times when one would prefer a water type with good special coverage over a hard hitting rock type when teambuilding. So yeah, it's not completely outclassed, and it's still a solid 'mon.
edit: Sorry, wrong choice of words. I did mean "completely better"

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think that Keldeo has at least a slightly different niche than Terrakion, and shouldn't be compared so harshly. There are times when one would prefer a water type with good special coverage over a hard hitting rock type when teambuilding. So yeah, it's not completely outclassed, and it's still a solid 'mon.
For clarity no one is arguing that it's completely outclassed or any even close to that degree. If it were completely outclassed, people would be arguing for it to be in E rank lol. People were simply arguing that Terrakion is better, and using Terrakion as an example because it is similar to it. However, better =/= outclassed. As you said, Rock-typing and Water-type cover quite different Pokemon as you said.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Do you mean Heatran A and Keldeo A-?
Heatran is a far less solid check to mons nowadays due to the things it would normally check running shit to destroy tran (hp ground Latios/zard Y/slyveon for instance) and sun as a playstyle is on the decline hence the S rank drop in the first place. With the rise of rain/sand teams, heatran is becoming less and less effective at checking what it used to hence why the A- proposal.

Keldeo is a solid mon such strength such wow. Pseudo mixed coverage is sexy and you can always run focus miss if you really care that much about hitting harder than terra.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heatran: A+ obv

Keldeo: A

Terrakion may be a better Kang check, but Keldeo isn't cockblocked by Landorus-T, which more often than not accompanies most standard MKang. Also, despite not having a 120 BP STAB Fighting-type attack, it can still OHKO 4 HP MKang, so the difference in power is not that significant. Keldeo is a perfectly fine alternative counter to MKang in situations where you can't afford to be trounced by Landorus-T and other Intimidators yet again.

Keldeo also has Icy Wind !!! which is really fun as a support option. Hydro Pump hits like a truck and doesn't care about burns or Intimidate, so it's at least reliable in that regard. It also synergizes with many other Pokemon very well and is one of the best offensive support Pokemon in the metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)