The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Having to tiptoe around the word "die" isn't that surprising given it is Nickelodeon but one-upping the infamous murder/suicide (or at least nearly) from Book 1 was unexpected. I was really impressed that the group were patient with Hou-Ting and didn't jump rush her like I expected them to and was even more amazed Ghazan toppled a wall on his lonesome when it took several Dai Li Agents to destroy a section of the wall last series.

But why did they had to go take Bolin's "metalbending moment of truth" and yank the chain from him? That was a severely dick move there!

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
I found it in English on a site I use. I guess it was leaked, which is nice since Nick.com has been horrible to me given its traffic means I was buffering a lot.

Oh, even though I have utter disdain for Avatar's shipping community, I am kinda for Ghazan/Ming-Hua now since I keep loving those two more and more. Just hoping people don't make tons of Attack on Titan jokes in regards to the former tearing down the inner wall.

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
HOW IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THE GIANT SAND SHARK

I mean ya Earth Queen murder blah blah

BUT FUCKING SAND SHARK
Considering the Earth Queen's murder was a blatant on-screen death done by the main antagonist (as well as confirming that yes, you can asphyxiate someone with airbending), it shouldn't have been a surprise the Sand Shark would be overshadowed. Kind of curious why it never showed up in the previous series since it was mentioned it isn't a kaiju-sized spirit.

Speaking of the zeppelin crew, was anyone else disappointed we didn't get the name of the captain? He kept calm and reasonable throughout the whole episode and seemed like a really interesting character.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I personally believe zaheer's breathbending won't work on very agile/moving targets like team avatar is likely to be in the inevitable confrontation. otherwise korra will probably avatar state up and reveal that you can't bend the avatar's breath away a la bloodbending the avatar

ACTUALLY thinkin about it, I hope red lotus's secret goal is to defuse korra and raava again somehow and lock raava up and they do that during the book three finale, with korra's main book four plotline being learning special bending forms like bloodbending from katara and lightning/redirection from mako/zuko so she can stay the Best in the West even without her super saiyan mode. the series concludes with korra breathbending zaheer, bloodbending ming hua to death, cutting ghazan up with metal, and zapping p'li to death, only to discover that the red lotus has restored vaatu as part of raava, so korra seals them both in the tree of time to duke it out until the end of days. a tearful goodbye is said as raava confirms that, even if korra is not the avatar of the light spirit anymore, she is the spirit...of the world

hello naruto thread pt2

Last edited:

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Great episode
I personally believe zaheer's breathbending won't work on very agile/moving targets like team avatar is likely to be in the inevitable confrontation. otherwise korra will probably avatar state up and reveal that you can't bend the avatar's breath away a la bloodbending the avatar
The Avatar State is the combined powers of all previous Avatars, of which Korra has connection to none of. Insofar as I can tell she can't go into the Avatar State anymore, or at the very least it won't be the ultimate deus ex machine of series past.

With regards to episode ten, I'm glad that we are getting antagonists that aren't so clear cut. People jumped for joy when Zaheer brutally murdered the Earth Queen and his team brought down the walls (I'm guessing we'll end up at some point with Raiko's failure to deal with the spirits being the central point of some big "at what point do we take action" that pits White Lotus and Red Lotus ideology against one another). On the topic of leaders that aren't complete assholes, knowing now that the Red Lotus are anarchists, does it seem weird that after their reunion and victory over FOUR NATIONAL LEADERS they decided to cut and run instead of trying to kill them.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
avatar state is accessing a raava spirit power boost+knowledge of past avatars. it still serves as a super mode. wan used it during his battle with vaatu despite having no past lives to access. korra already used it this season to try and bend away spirit vines

ok one more vvild theory, what if zaheer is guru lahima? he says that lahima became untethered from the earth, but what if that meant becoming freed from his physical form? perhaps lahima, freed from his body, also untethered himself from the spirit world and was able to reincarnate at will. maybe he eventually got wind (HEH) of the genocide of the airbenders and decided to reincarnate, but found he could not put himself into an airbending body because his race had been extinguished. the planet's energy shift restored his powers, and in my theory the others who gained airbending are were airbendersvin lives past. it would go a long way towards explaining zaheer's fixation with him as well as zaheer's unbelievably powerful airbending despite only receiving the power recently.

Last edited:

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm more concerned with you saying vvild lol
On the topic of leaders that aren't complete assholes, knowing now that the Red Lotus are anarchists, does it seem weird that after their reunion and victory over FOUR NATIONAL LEADERS they decided to cut and run instead of trying to kill them.
I don't think they really needed to. At the time that wasn't their plan. It was more of let's get out and capture the avatar and plus Zuko and Tonraq did nothing terrible like the Earth Queen and the twins just came into power.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Wait, but if it ends with Raava and Vaatu duking it out and no more Avatars, we won't have an Earth Bending Avatar series :(

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Maybe I'm the only one, but I thought after Korra's whole talk with Zaheer and telling him he can make a difference by helping out with the Airbenders that he would actually be redeemed by the end of the season. My logic was that he was only a villain in the sense that his ideology clashed against Korra's and he hadn't really done anything that terrible yet, but wow after a literal on-screen murder (I guess two if you count Aiwei, although this was far more brutal) it's gonna be pretty tough. I do hope they redeem him though, and I think they still can, and if they handle it right it will have much more impact due to his murders.

But why did they had to go take Bolin's "metalbending moment of truth" and yank the chain from him? That was a severely dick move there!
I thought that was a great moment actually, I honestly was expecting him to escape with Metalbending even though it would be terribly cliche for him to do so at that time. It was a hilarious scene that betrayed my expectations in a good way. He will eventually learn metalbending and I think by adding another failure, especially in a scene where we were all expecting him to succeed, will make it more satisfying when he finally does metalbend.

Otherwise, I still think the pacing is an issue for this show and that scene with Bolin talking to lava guy and water arms lady was a great example of the kind of scene we need more of. A lot of people have said there is a lack of character focus in this season and I agree, especially with the bad guys who have three distinct designs, personalities, and powers, but are only really seen as Zaheer's team and not really characters of their own. It probably won't be able to be fit into the story, but I'd love to see a filler episode like "The Beach" for these characters.

Litra

is an Artist Alumnus
It probably won't be able to be fit into the story, but I'd love to see a filler episode like "The Beach" for these characters.
I can practically picture Ming-hua, the most unhinged of the four, going "Yes! We defeated you for all time! You will never rise from the ashes of your shame and humiliation! Well, that was fun" right now. After all, she and Azula share the same VA.

Crux

Banned deucer.
I still don't think that Zaheer has actually done anything villainous yet, like, what is there to redeem?

Crux

Banned deucer.
They all seem pretty justified to me. Given how fair his motives seem to be, I just can't rationalise him as a villain yet.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
(itt crux shows his stripes)

In terms of Zaheer doing a bit of villainous stuff I would say he's much more subtle than anything the series has thrown our way. If anything he is religiously driven, and has taken the teachings of Air Nomads and practiced them to the extreme. He took the sign of his new airbending as basically a gift of god and that his path is a righteous one when we've seen no evidence that there has been any particular reason some people gained airbending.

As we've already seen he doesn't mind playing the long game, and he's made his first major victory. Next few eps will likely show the anarchy in Ba Sing Sei and how that doesn't always carry good results. Sooner or later we are also going to see him suffocatebend or Korra will find out he is willing and capable of doing that. What this really means is that only airbenders have a fair chance of fighting him.

Speaking of the suffocation I love how well it was foreshadowed, Tenzin mentioned airbenders could control the air flow in their bodies, and now Zaheer is pulling it all out of other people. I hope that was intentional because it worked so well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)