College Move-In

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Hi everybody! College is coming up soon, and I move to UT Dallas on the 20th of this month. I know a lot of you are in college / finished with college, and I was wondering if y'all had any tips/pointers as to what to do, what to bring, and all that. I'm going to be a college freshman, so I'm pretty clueless as to what I should be shopping for right now, how to prepare for the transition, etc. (I mean I think I have the basics) :P Helpful information, personal experiences, all that would be really cool!

(Sorry for the short post, I'm really hoping that the bulk of the information in the thread will be from y'all!)

Thanks in advance! :D

I'm assuming you're moving into a dorm since you're a freshman. That being said:

Don't be a pushover. Don't be the one asking "can I have this bed?" or "can I put my stuff here?" You don't have to be a dick about it, but if you have roommate(s) be sure to assert yourself early or get used to having their stuff overflow onto your side, them eating your food, etc. Also be sure to talk with them and lay down some ground rules to keep everyone as happy as possible.

The first couple days of dorm life you can meet a lot of people. Go through your hall and knock on every door, set up a soccer game or something where everyone can hang out and get to know each other a little.
The only real way to go wrong is to be a complete hermit so don't do that!

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
learn your roommates schedules so you know when to jack off safely

honestly most of the stuff you'll need is provided in freshman dorms, read up on what they have/don't have in your room and consult some lists onli. ne for common important things and you should be good

try to meet lots of ppl because after you move out of dorms you won't have the same ability to just leave your room and talk to them right outside so you prob will not hang out nearly as often. and freshman year goes by very fast =]

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Bring:

Coffee maker/french press, and other necessary drug paraphernalia
Coffee, and other drugs
Blender or Food Processor
Rice Cooker
1 item of each dish ware, cups plates, etc. more can be stolen from a college dining hall, which is something that you should become an expert in during the first few weeks.
Speakers, HDMI Cable, record player, etc for blasting music/watching tv
Paper Towels
Warm Clothing
Water Bottle
Electric Kettle
Frisbee, Soccer ball, etc according to your preferences (I usually just bring a soccer ball).
Board Games, deck of cards, etc

Do:

Meet your neighbors/floormates and spend time with them during the first few days meeting people and doing activities with them (such as drugs, sports, meals, going out). There really isn't much to do at all between the time people settle in and the time instruction begins. At my university the freshmen move in as much as two weeks before the term starts, I spent most of that time sleeping and hanging out with other people. It's really not that hard to meet a lot of people and make cool friends during move-in, just don't stay shut-in and don't be an asshole. If you are hungry, invite who ever lives near you to eat with you. Don't be afraid to suggest activities or invite people to hang-out with you (this is why frisbees and decks of cards are necessary).

If people offer to smoke you out, and you are okay with drugs (I smoked weed for the first time during move-in week, it was great), I would take them up on it, smoking weed is an okay way of meeting people. Know your limit, if you've never smoked before just do one hit, etc. Drink water, drink more water, persuade others to drink water, do not forget about hydration.

I put a coffee maker and coffee at the top of this list, mainly because they will help you stay up late if you aren't used to it. If you have a long period of time before instruction begins, there is really no reason to go to sleep before 2 am, given that you could be using that time to meet people.

Living with other people:

An important rule, imo, is to always clean up after yourself in common areas. If you make a mess in the kitchen it ought to be cleaned up within 24 hours (no longer than 3 days if youre really busy). If you make a mess in the bathroom, heaven forbid, clean it up asap...

Everything else comes down to not being an asshole. This certainly doesn't mean you have to be friends with your dorm/house/apartmentmates, many people prefer to maintain a respectful distance from the people they live with.

NEVER LEAVE FOOD TRASH OUT

Don't masturbate in the shower, I know that a good time to masturbate is in the shower, but don't it's kinda rude. Don't remove drain blocks in sinks or bathtubs/showers, remove hair from the shower drain frequently. Don't shave your pubes in the common bathroom, wait until you visit back at ur parents place to do that shit, most people suck at cleaning up after their pube shave.

You might want to bring an ethernet cable, wireless internet at universities can be pretty terrible sometimes. Also, look up your school's internet policies and see if you need to download anything while you're still at home. I had a friend who got in trouble for pirating Microsoft Office on the school's internet.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
http://freshmantips.tumblr.com/post/7333968292/superlist-what-to-bring-to-college

Of course, make sure to cross check with your college on what you can/can't bring.

Also keep in mind how high maintenance you are and whether or not you actually need some of these things to survive. You can always just buy more stuff while you're there.

Also leave your door open, that's the #1 way to make friends. If you're fapping, leave it open to exert dominance.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Keep the logistics in mind-- where you are relative to where you're going.

Everything you can buy there, buy there (especially if you have access to a car).

One thing easy to overlook: sauces

If there's hot sauce, salad dressing, spice mix, etc. that you love (especially if unique to your hometown), don't forget it-- gonna crave that stuff.

It's better to arrive with a u-haul full of shit if you're going to college somewhere remote (i.e. Wyoming, Montana, Cornell lelz). If you live near urban areas or cities (i.e. NYU, UCLA, UMD, Georgetown), you can definitely bring significantly less shit (check the state tax rates on different items to determine whether or not it's worth buying there). Also, it's worth noting that some items, such as rice cookers, are kind of region-locked to some degree. In New York City and California, it's not very hard to find a rice cooker, but in somewhere like North Carolina or Alabama, getting rice cookers will be significantly harder. Also, I'd just recommend bringing furniture you'll need. Any other small things, such as extra pillows, sheets, and whatnot, can be ordered online or bought at a local store since most incoming freshman buy new pillows and sheets for school anyway.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
You can honestly get by with very little; if you're on the meal plan don't even bother bringing any food imo except for like snacks. Anything that goes in the fridge should either be leftovers or alcohol lol

Your computer and clothes are like the only major things that matter. A TV if your dorm doesn't have a common area with one is good to have, but like I brought one and never used it because we had one in the common area

The regular school supplies are handy for like the exactly one time you need them apart from notebook/pens.

Definitely bring a fan of some sort, some dorms can get hotter than Satan's butthole if you're not allowed to bring an AC or there aren't any in the dorms

Also a comforter for the bed is highly recommended, most of the dorms have shit for mattresses

Don't bother with a carpet, just a nice size rug for the whole room suffices; carpets are far more trouble than they're worth, and I'm speaking as someone who helped like 50 people move in as part of the "badger buddy" thing the UW did

Sorry for double posting because edit button doesn't work on my proxy, but just to clarify, I mean to bring some sheets, but don't go overkill on it. Buy as you go and as you need.

Also, a mini-refrigerator is a worthwhile investment in college, especially one with a freezer. For those fearing Freshman 40s, you can store vegetables, bread, and milk in there as well as some nice frozen treats for yourself and your roommate. Your roommate may or may not use it, but it gives you some control with diet by being able to make your own albeit simple meals.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Also no don't bring fucking furniture lol; all the cheap stuff breaks and all the "nice" stuff will get ruined and are fucking aggravating as hell to get in the room, and then you have to sleep in the top bunk if you bring like a couch or something cuz there def ain't room for anything otherwise.

Do bring a nice computer chair though

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I went to college in the middle of fucking nowhere, all the freshmen would show up with u-hauls and then return as sophomores with next to nothing.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I went to college in the middle of fucking nowhere, all the freshmen would show up with u-hauls and then return as sophomores with next to nothing.
well it's not like they need a new rice cooker and fan and comforter and rug and office chair for every year o-O

Clothes and a computer are kinda necessary. Video games / music / whatever you do for fun are never a bad idea. Booze if you can get your hands on it. If you have a way of contacting your roomie(s), find out if they're bringing shit like a TV, microwave, etc. that you won't need 2 of. Towels, blankets, pillows are good to have, though if there's a Walmart or whatever nearby, you can get them for cheap there. Class shit (notebooks, pens, backpack, etc.), toiletries (soap, shampoo, deodorant, razor, etc.), Advil, maybe some Lysol if you might have a smelly roomie, though once again, Walmart or whatever. Don't get food if you have a meal plan; just smuggle what you can out of there. I used to stroll out with a backpack full of fruit, utensils, etc. and balancing like 4-6 cups of coffee. Water / soft drinks are worth investing in, though.

Don't forget stupid obvious shit like your cell phone charger / meds / debit card / things you need and would normally have on you.

You should be able to fit all of your shit into a car. If you can't, don't expect to have a ton of room in your room. You'll end up with stuff that'll just be a bitch to move in, sit in your room unused all year, and then be a bitch to move out.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, forgot. Need rubber slippers because those shared showers are grody. Get a pair of super cheap ones just to wear in the shower. I think crocs work for this if rubber slippers are not a thing in your state.

Where did you go to school that you could leave your stuff there at the end of the year?
Protip: storage service/locker company

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you want to be a hero and meet people/make friends easily, bring stuff that other people on the hall will want: frisbee, bananagrams, cards against humanity, movies, etc...

Just don't get too depressed if you loan your shit and never get it back *cough I want my soccer ball back, Dylan, you asshole!*

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Here's some good tips to make moving and living on campus a lot easier:

TV/Entertainment
: If you have roommates, each of you can pitch in to buy a small TV, like 30" or 40" should be enough, and at the end of the year whoever keeps it can just pay the money back to the others. As for other entertainment, like I said earlier bringing an older console is a great idea, newer ones are a bit more iffy since if they break it's a significant amount of money being lost. Another advantage is that more people will be familiar with older consoles and will be less hesitant about joining for games. Also, you won't need to bring a ton of movies since you're more than likely to have unlimited free wifi on campus to download torrented legally purchased movies to your hearts content.

A nice deck of cards is also a great thing to have as they make for great evenings with alcohol. Just being able to relax around the table with some drinks and play a few rounds of poker is a great way to spend time. Bringing board games is also always appreciated, both when sober and when inebriated. Games like Cards Against Humanity, bananagrams and the like (basically srk1214's post) are great ways to invite people over and get to meet them. The best entertainment in college/university is with other people, and breaking the ice is important. The better you get at that the easier the next 4 years of your life will be.

Bedsheets: Some dorms provide them, but it's better to bring your own since university ones will likely be shit tier. Probably bring 2 sets and swap them each week. Good sleep makes for good marks. It's also best to bring your own pillow.

Cookware: Buy a decent pot and a decent frying pan or cast iron. Between the two of those you should be able to make a ton of different meals on the cheap. As for glasses, cups, plates and the like, it's best to bring 1 or 2 of each. Even if you get a meal plan, cooking your own meals is always the best way to go. It costs less, it's healthier and being able to cook is a life skill and getting as much practice as you can is great. Also it's a great way to make friends because who doesn't like good food? You can also impress girls/guys with your cooking, so there's that. Your school might also have a small grocery store that accepts meal plans so it might not even have to be an out of the way trip to buy groceries.

Clothing: Don't bring all your clothes! Seriously, the dorms aren't that big, pack maybe 10-15 shirts (not including dress shirts), 5-8 pairs of shorts and 5 pairs of jeans. Throw in a couple sweaters, jackets or whatever based on the weather of the area you're in and you're good to go. Also make sure you bring enough underwear and socks.

Miscellaneous: Sometimes a safe is worth bringing, especially if you have valuables like jewellery. A small safe isn't too expensive, but again it's entirely optional. Things can go missing during a party, and if you're worried about something like that then a safe is a great option. Alternatively a lockbox is a solid option as well. Cellphone chargers are important, though nowadays it's really not so hard to bum one from your roommates. A fan is invaluable during the early parts of the year when summers just ending, or if you live in a muggy area. Dorms aren't always air conditioned so having a fan can be the difference between waking up in sweat and waking up well rested and ready to seize the day. A desk lamp is also good to have, though your room might come with one. House sandals are pretty good to have as well, though you can always just walk around in socks.

**This part pertains to drugs and alcohol and sex**

It isn't the greatest idea in the world to bring a bong to your dorms, but most people probably don't care about drug use. The stoners will love you and congrats, you just added a cool little group of friends to your life. If your roommates don't want drugs in the house, just leave your drug related items at home or somewhere else. That being said, drugs are a fun way to socialize and are a great complementary addition to any of the the aforementioned activities. Avoid hard drugs like cocaine, heroin and learn your limit. No one cares how much you smoke, it's not cool to green out or pass out. Just make sure to keep an open mind about these things. If you don't feel comfortable taking them, say no. If you are okay with them but it's your first time, let the people around you know so that they know not to let you do too much.

When it comes to alcohol the same basic rules apply. If your roommates don't want alcohol in the house, respect that. You can drink at pretty much every residence building on campus, so it's not like it kills the fun. Don't drink during exam times, unless it's to celebrate. Drinking away the misery is just setting yourself up to fail. Learn your limits, taking 4 shots and not making an ass of yourself is better than 12 and throwing up. The best parties are the ones you can walk away from without cringing. If you are going to be drinking, always have water on hand. Also if you see someone who looks like they're going to pass out/throw up, make sure they're okay. Get them some water and bread, and tell them to lie down on their side. Another important thing to remember: you can not consent when you're not sober. I shouldn't even have to mention that, but dumb fucking people always seem to forget.

And lastly the issue of sex and school. To be honest, this doesn't really have to do with "moving in", though I feel like it's worth knowing anyway. Sex isn't as hard to find as you think, and it's better to be safe than sorry. So make sure to bring condoms with you, though you're student center might also have free ones. Some schools also provide kits which have the basic information and things you need to safely have sex. It's not a social taboo like a lot of high schools treat it as, just make sure you and your partner are both mentally and physically prepared for it. If one of you aren't ready, just wait. Blue balls sucks, but so does fucking up a relationship because you couldn't wait to smash privates.

breh

強いだね
As others have said, make sure that somebody has a console with games that can be played with multiple people. My suite bonded over Brawl (all of us are casual scrubs) and the other half suite bonded over Fifa. When playing video games, leave the door open so other people / random people walking around feel free to join. If you can get in contact with your roomates, try and see if you can pool for a niceish tv to make stuff like splitscreen mario kart easier if you go that route.

If you have shared showers, buy a shower caddy. Make sure that it has holes on the bottom so that it drains properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)