Megas For All (Read the whole 1st post and check current slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Alright guys here are the results, and please read the message I write you see after you see the winners, its pretty important

Braviary: nightsitter
Mega Braviary
Type: Normal/Flying -> Normal/Flying
Ability: Keen Eye/Sheer Force/Defiant -> Defiant
New Moves: Quick Attack

HP: 100 -> 100
Atk: 123 -> 157 (+34)
Def: 75 -> 100 (+25)
SpA: 57 -> 83 (+26)
SpD: 75 -> 100 (+25)
Spe: 80 -> 70 (-10)

Flavor Concept: Most Normal/Flying birds get Quick Attack, so I figured why not.

Competitive Concept: Bulky Defiant sweeper with decent coverage and great power. Superpower is probably the move of choice to round off the Normal/Flying coverage now that Aegi is gone. It can also afford to run Roost if recovery is necessary.

Mandibuzz: FireArrow
Mega Mandibuzz
Type: Dark/Flying -> Dark/Flying
Abilities: Big Pecks, Overcoat (Weak Armor) -> Scavenger*
*Boosts damage by 50% against foes below 50% HP.
Stats:
HP: 110 -> 110
Atk: 65 -> 115
Def: 105 -> 110
SpA: 55 -> 75
SpD: 95 -> 100
Spe: 80 -> 100

I wanted to see a non-setup offensive Mandibuzz, but with those terrible offensive stats, there were only three options: Huge Power, Tough Claws, and +100 attack. All of those were boring and flavorless, or in the case of tough claws, overdistributed. So... I opted for a custom ability. Scavenger has beautiful flavor with the whole vulture motif, along with fitting with many other pokemon if one is interested in recycling it.

Mega Mandibuzz's playstyle is much more engaging now. Since she retains her godly defenses, she still walls all the same stuff, but now with a twist. Once the foe gets worn below half (be it toxic, SR, teammates, etc.), she turns into a nuke. For example:

252+ Atk Scavenger Mandibuzz Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey below 50%: 316-373 (44.8 - 52.9%)

Heatmor: Tie between JayHankEdLyon and Mew King
Mega Heatmor
Type: Fire-> Fire/Fighting
Ability: Flash Fire/Gluttony/White Smoke-> Contrary
New Moves: Overheat

HP: 85 -> 85
Atk: 97 -> 112 (+15)
Def: 66 -> 86 (+20)
SpA: 105 -> 115 (+10)
SpD: 66 -> 96 (+30)
Spe: 65 -> 90 (+25)

Flavor Concept: Heatmor gets a Miami Heat jersey with the name "Mor" written on the back and number 631 on the front. Or maybe its weird penis bone thing just goes away. Your call, Smogon.

Competitive Concept: Hooray, another Fire/Fighting mon to play with! And moreover, like its predecessors, it's mixed! How original!

Well, look again, hypothetical sarcastic naysayer. On top of using secondary Fighting typing to neutralize its Rock weakness, give it a resistance to the much-improved Dark type (it now resists both of Bisharp's STABs!), and double its resistance to the puny Bug attacks of Durant, Heatmor gains STAB on the excellent Contrary move Superpower, acting as a free Bulk Up every time it attacks. Moreover, with Overheat, it's also gets a free Nasty Plot on an even stronger attack. Both moves can fit on the same set for tremendous mixed power, constantly raising its stats as it crushes through walls. Supplemental moves like Giga Drain, Thunder Punch, Knock Off, and Will o Wisp give Heatmor just what it needs to go from joke to powerhouse.

But isn't Contrary STAB Superpower/Overheat a bit much? Perhaps even OP? Well, not exactly; despite these excellent moves, Heatmor has no way of boosting its middling speed or its decent, but hardly groundbreaking special defense. Moreover, its new Fighting type renders it weak to the incredibly prevalent Flying type. An Earthquake weakness and vulnerability to all forms of hazards (barring a speed boost from Sticky Web) certainly isn't helpful. And finally, barring Giga Drain, it can't do much damage to the Unaware duo of Clefable and Quagsire, each of whom resists one of Heatmor's STABs and neither of which care about its stat boosts.

Mega Heatmor
Type: Fire -> Fire/Water
Ability: Flash Fire/Gluttony/White Smoke -> Bug Juice (an ability given to Mega Victreebel, a Water Absorb clone for bug types)
85/97/66/105/66/65 -> 85/97/116/155/96/35
New Moves: Aura Sphere, Scald, Earth Power

So, this is a fun Mega. Instead of trying to kill Durant by overpowering it, it's now really good defensively against its STAB attacks to the point that it won't just care about it being attacked. Thanks to Bug Juice it's immune to Bug-types and with it's typing it's 4x resistant to steel attacks. It's also physically bulky with a strong special attack. While Mega Durant is immune to fire attacks, Scald will mess it up hard.

With the Mega Heatmor here and Mega Durant we have already done, if we giving Mega Heatmor 252 SpAtk and HP, Mega Durant CANNOT OHKO it at all. The best it has against it is Superpower which does at most 57.7%. With the standard EVing for Mega Durant, Mega Heatmor will do at LEAST 98.8% damage to Mega Durant with Scald. And, it has that nifty 30% chance of burns!

It's going to be one of those standard, kind of defensive but very offensive and slow Megas that can't heal itself like we see in Mega Ampharos and Mega Abomasnow.

Cobalion: nightsitter
Mega Cobalion
Type: Steel/Fighting -> Steel/Fighting
Ability: Justified -> Fire Absorb
New Moves: Glare, U-Turn

HP: 91 -> 91
Atk: 90 -> 110 (+20)
Def: 129 -> 154 (+25)
SpA: 90 -> 110 (+20)
SpD: 72 -> 97 (+25)
Spe: 108 -> 118 (+10)

Flavor Concept: This is the stat distribution and ability I plan to submit for all four musketeers. Fire Absorb is added because they have been known to save people and Pokemon from fires without getting harmed themselves. Glare is added because it’s mentioned in Cobalion’s dex entries. U-Turn because it goes to a place, saves people, and gets out of there. Most of the three main musketeers will get those two moves; however, Keldeo will only get U-Turn because of its boyish nature. Additionally, Terrakion will not get U-Turn because it's too fat and bulky to move that quickly.

Competitive Concept: Paralyze the opponent, tank a hit, and get out of there! Mega Cobalion can avoid most common forms of status with its fortunate ability and type combination. With great speed, typing, and all-round stats, it can last most of the match tanking hits and practically being immune to SR. Additionally, phenomenal physical defense lets it check common attackers like Talonflame and Azumarill without much worry.

The Submission period for the next slate will not be starting just yet. It is still the discussion period for Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, and Tornadus-T, so please hold off on submissons for them. acestriker19 should be making a post clearing this up sometime latter, but in the meantime, continue discussion of them next slate and/or the winners of this slate.

Last edited:
I might propose another way of dealing with the Musketeers. Instead of giving them all the SAME ability, we instead give them other X-Absorb abilities. For example, we can probably give Virizon Fire Absorb, but what about giving Terrakion Water Absorb or Keldeo Volt Absorb? The flavor is just how they're supposed to be so dedicated to the work that even the things that should make them afraid. If we want to really muck it up some more you can give Keldeo Lightning Rod (Hey, Seaking gets it!) and thus it has a new way to boost its stats.

I am entirely pro having nightsitter choose them. At the very least, he's getting my votes and I'm submitting nothing.

His rationale for Fire Absorb was fantastic and bears repeating: it helps the two weakest members, Cobalion and Virizion, most. It helps the second-strongest member, Terrakion, avoid non-Scald burns, which still is a great help. And it helps Keldeo, the powerhouse of the group, the least. Considering how strong the latter two are even with a borderline useless ability (in Keldeo's case, an entirely useless one) this also fits into the OP's goal of giving different, but not gamebreaking roles (as Terrakion and Keldeo now have superior stats, most notably bulk, but can no longer run Choice items).

As for the GenieBros (still in mourning over their fallen friend Robin), I propose that instead of voting for them individually, everybody submits both, and we vote for the pair. That way we don't get the two most tied-together mons in the game (same stat spread, same friggin sprite) with radically different megas. Or we do, if that's how the votes go, but at least we were given the option not to.

Last edited:
I am entirely pro having nightsitter choose them. At the very least, he's getting my votes and I'm submitting nothing.

His rationale for Fire Absorb was fantastic and bears repeating: it helps the two weakest members Cobalion and Virizion, most. It helps the second-strongest member, Terrakion, avoid non-Scald burns, which still is a great help. And it helps Keldeo, the powerhouse of the group, the least. Considering how strong the latter two are even with a borderline useless ability (in Keldeo's case, an entirely useless one) this also fits into the OP's goal of giving different, but not gamebreaking roles (as Terrakion and Keldeo now have superior stats, most notable bulk, but can no longer run Choice items).

As for the GenieBros (still in mourning over their fallen friend Robin), I propose that instead of voting for them individually, everybody submits both, and we vote for the pair. That way we don't get the two most tied-together mons in the game (same stat spread, same friggin sprite) with radically different megas. Or we do, if that's how the votes go, but at least we were given the option not to.
I would say we do that with the Incarnate forms. The Therin forms are different enough that we can have unique submissions for them.

I would say we do that with the Incarnate forms. The Therin forms are different enough that we can have unique submissions for them.
Definitely let the Therians be individual submissions; there are no stats the three of them share (nor are there shared stats between the two 580s), and their abilities are all different.

I'll be sticking with Fire Absorb for the other three because it fits best with the rescue theme and balances them out the most.

As for the weather trio and their Therian counterparts, I say we leave everything separate. In other words, let each of the six individual Pokemon have different stats, abilities, and even typings if necessary. These'll all be very fun to work with.

EDIT: After carefully considering JayHankEdLyon's and Mew King's thoughts, I must agree with them. The next slate should therefore be Terrakion / Virizion / Thundurus-I / Tornadus-I so the two can be submitted together.

Last edited:
First off, this is a great idea, and thanks for putting in all this hard work. I was bummed when I found out someone already did Tyrantrum ;-; I just wish we gave it Rock Head. I might try to make one. :P

First off, this is a great idea, and thanks for putting in all this hard work. I was bummed when I found out someone already did Tyrantrum ;-; I just wish we gave it Rock Head. I might try to make one. :P
The Submission period for the next slate will not be starting just yet. It is still the discussion period for Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, and Tornadus-T, so please hold off on submissons for them.@acestriker19 should be making a post clearing this up sometime latter, but in the meantime, continue discussion of them next slate and/or the winners of this slate.
do not submit any megas until we are in the submission period for the mega you want

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
If we're going to just use the same abilities with the Genies, in terms of the next slate, we might as well just leave it at Prankster. It's a great ability already and I don't see how a big change would make them more viable when Thundurus-I is already viable and Tornadus-I's only real flaw is the movepool. I guess the only real change for these two genies could be Drizzle, considering they are based on weather in a sense.

If we're going to just use the same abilities with the Genies, in terms of the next slate, we might as well just leave it at Prankster. It's a great ability already and I don't see how a big change would make them more viable when Thundurus-I is already viable and Tornadus-I's only real flaw is the movepool. I guess the only real change for these two genies could be Drizzle, considering they are based on weather in a sense.
Ha, mine are definitely getting Drizzle. A shared ability that has great flavor and boosts their most powerful STAB moves' accuracies to perfect levels? Yes please.

They are both known for being in massive rain storms so it's fitting to do SOMETHING with rain like Drizzle or Storm Force

Also, please NO ONE give Thundurus Hurricane. It'll steal Tornadus's niche if you do.

(Also it would be nice to keep Tornadus pure Flying since that's what it's known for)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I'm just going to put Drizzle. Storm Force is too much for Torn-I and Thund-I and would make them insanely powerful, considering they're getting boosts in respective stats as well.

The problem is it needs to spend a turn to set up rain (or get rain from someone else which limits the usefulness). Though, we could give them Swift Swim.

I think keeping prankster is probably best. Drizzle shot politoed up to OU, not really interested in seeing what it'd do to the genies.

AM

LCPL Champion
The problem is it needs to spend a turn to set up rain (or get rain from someone else which limits the usefulness). Though, we could give them Swift Swim.
The thing is, it's not hard to set up Rain, throw out Politoed and you're good to go. The fact that Prankster would make Rain dance go first when they m-evolve doesn't help either as they would just rampage the turn afterwards.

I think keeping prankster is probably best. Drizzle shot politoed up to OU, not really interested in seeing what it'd do to the genies.
I'm fine with Prankster my only concern is that now we're just outclassing their original forms besides like Defiant.

I mean it's whatever honestly I might just give them different abilities. Pigeon holing them to one ability just to make it look all fancy in having the same abilities for flavor seems too much of a hassle sometimes.

That's my problem with prankster and the best way I can think to fix it without being crappy in Singles (and only not crappy in Doubles with a Heal Pulse user) would buff the main forms too much (like giving them Roost and a couple of stat boosters)

AM

LCPL Champion
That's my problem with prankster and the best way I can think to fix it without being crappy in Singles (and only not crappy in Doubles with a Heal Pulse user) would buff the main forms too much (like giving them Roost and a couple of stat boosters)
Yeah I think I'm going to make them have the same stat boosts considering they literally have identical stats as well. That's the only similarity I know I will suggest for sure. Other than that I might just give them different abilities or just give them something neutral that both can use like Defiant to keep the roles intact.

Yeah please don't give the genies Roost people. Giving wall breakers of this caliber a reliable form of recovery is just a bit much as well.

I'm against the genies getting any new moves period, they're already fantastic. And recall, as always, that their base forms (and their Therian forms too, for the genies) get whatever moves these megas get.

I'm against the genies getting any new moves period, they're already fantastic. And recall, as always, that their base forms (and their Therian forms too, for the genies) get whatever moves these megas get.
What about Defog for Tornadus? That would give it a niche over Thundurus and certainly fits with flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)