Project RU Creative / Underrated Sets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I still think you are making ridiculous points but it's clear words are becoming meaningless because you don't understand my posts or I still am fairly certain you don't understand stall. I therefore challenge you to a best of 9 games xy ru and I will use Curse tomb at least once. If I don't win the series by at least a margin of 2 (6-3) not counting draws I will apologize an concede the point. Accept or be cowardly.
image.jpg

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well, that escalated quickly.

Why use Curse Tomb when you can use Perish Song Meloetta tho?
Because not all stall teams can fit Sdef Meloetta on them, and sometimes you need a way to beat last-mon win conditions without slapping that on your team. Curse Tomb isn't great and tbh it's really niche, but it does help deal with something that is a problem for stall teams; last mon set up pkmn which you can't just phaze out and wear down through hazards. Yes, this doesn't always happen and with good play on the stall player's part this can sometimes be avoided, but this situation can come up more often than you think and while it's not the best way to deal with this problem, it IS a solution that can fit on certain stall builds. Yes, Haze, Taunt, and Perish Song exist, but realistically the distribution of those moves isn't the best, and sometimes wasting a moveslot on a sub-par move is more worth it than wasting a teamslot on a sub-par Pokemon n_n.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
not gonna lie here, i agree with hilarious here. Curse Spiritomb is niche, yes. But does it have a legitimate use on full stall? I'd definitely say it does. Stall teams definitely do have a problem with last Pokemon set up sweepers that happen to stay around until the endgame, and while there definitely are other options to stop this from ruining a stall build such as Haze, Perish Song, and Taunt, i'd argue that Curse is at least more effective than Taunt in the case of the latter (and doesn't take forever to stall like haze). Not to mention that the distribution for moves like this is pretty ehhhhh honestly. (the only relevant haze user i can think of thats RU or below is Cryogonal who kinda suks and gets demolished by last mon Pokemon with Physical Attacks/Psyshock, and the only one with Perish Song is Meloetta, who is solid which i know from experience but might be a little tricky to fit on teams). Meanwhile, Spiritomb fills the obligatory spinblocker role for stall teams and actually has a really good matchup against some top threats, ensuring that it pulls its weight outside of this one move and doesn't compete *that* much for a teamslot. It's not the most conventional thing ever, but i can say for a fact that its a legitimate option if your team needs it, and Curse Spiritomb actually got some usage on the same playstyle in DPP UU iirc.

As for the set itself, anyone who says that running Rest Spiritomb without Sleep Talk is unviable is flat out wrong imo. If there's any playstyle that can run Rest without Sleep Talk effectively, its full stall (which is where you should be running Cursetomb in the first place). Simply because of the fact that any good stall team should have a cleric to get rid of the sleep. Not to mention even without that the combination of raw bulk and wish support most stall Pokemon/teams have can ensure that the rest Pokemon survives until it wakes up regardless, especially considering the reverted sleep mechanics.

Here's one I just thought of

Getting Sigy With It (Sigilyph) @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Roost/Thunder Wave/Whirlwind
- Air Slash/Psychic/Thunder Wave/Whirlwind/Magic Coat/Trick Room/Tailwind

Although Sigilyph has a great support movepool, most of its sets capitalize on either offence, bulky attack, or Cosmic Power/Roost/Stored Power shenanigans. Light screen and Reflect are moves that greatly support the team by halving attack power, which allows your tanks/walls/supporters/sweepers? to set up and do some damage for the next 8 turns. The rest of the set can be modified as Sigilyph has many choices to give a good role. Roost provides recovery, which is great as it gets no passive recovery from Lefties and allows it to stall if needed. T-wave allows you to spread paralysis to slow down and occasionally stop opponents for another mon to take on. Whirlwind counters any setup sweepers by using it after their first boost (With the proper screen, you should be able to take most normal-effective hits well even with stat boosts). Air Slash is great to stop Taunt and deal damage, as well as flinch unlucky foes. Psychic is more powerful, but dosen't flinch opponents. Magic Coat allows it to counter other leads with its surprise factor. Trick room can do wonders for a slow team. Tailwind helps the speed of medium speed members that are to frail for many hits. All in all, Lead/Pivot Siglyiph has many roles with its diverse movesets and good status, allowing it to become a threatening supporter.

Caterpilar Reg (Registeel) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Clear Body
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Protect/Iron Head/Toxic
- Rest

Hey, hi, hello there. This time I'll make a serious one.
Due to the influx of the infamous YanTrio core, which revolve around using dugtrio to trap stall's number one counter to Yanmega in Registeel, the regular stall player should find a way to play around this. One way is obviously to make a bunch of double switches to avoid getting trapped, or the other is to simply slap this otherwise pointless item on the mon you want to avoid losing in such a matchup. After reading up on the Mega Gengar discussion and the use of Shed Shell Blissey, I came to the conclusion I wanted to try it out on Registeel to simply beat this YanTrio core.

And so it came to be that Caterpilar Reg came to be. It is pretty much a standard Registeel with the Shell instead. So, it pretty much functions like a regular Registeel with the added benefit of not dying to Dugtrios.

The moves and EVs are standard all the way through, with Rocks being the main reason Registeel really functions well on a stall team (aside from his bulk ofc) due to Stall mostly being a machinery where all options function together. Seismic Toss is his way to avoid being Taunt bait, which also aids in the whittling of your opponent's team. Protect, Toxic and Iron Head is a bit of a toss up. If you have TSpikes on the field and simply want to get that one extra turn of Tox dmg you could use Protect (it's nice to have sometimes and can in fact be game changing), but you could go the Iron Head route if you want some STAB action. Toxic is also an option if you want to whittle various threats even further (especially airborne ones) but at the end of the day you yourself choose this one. And finally, Rest is chosen simply due to the removal of steady lefties recovery. Since Registeel performs best at Stall and Balance, it's quite often you have some sort of Cleric support (and at stall you should) so it's not an issue that you do not have Sleep Talk or w/e

At the end of the day, this is a metagame response option for your everyday stall player that hates to lose your Registeel to a CB EQ and that's really it.

migzoo

new money
Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam / Heat Wave
- Energy Ball
- Calm Mind

From testing Sigilyph during Research Week, this is the set that I found to work the best. Cosmic Power is undeniably shit, and 4 attacks wasn't hitting hard enough for my liking, so I decided to try out CM. Though you might be surprised at running CM without Roost, you need coverage. The reason this set works is that it sets up easily on most common walls. Sigilyph outspeeds and CMs on common threats such as Aromatisse, Alomomola, Golbat, Amoonguss (if Sigilyph is statused or something else is asleep); and to lesser extents, Slowking, Tangrowth, and Gligar. With Magic Guard and +1 SpD, there is little they can do. From there, you can start hitting hard, or set up once more if necessary/possible. CM 3 Attacks Sigilyph shits on stall, almost as much as Sub BU Braviary. As an added bonus, in the lower ladder there exists a lingering stigma that CP Sigilyph is the only Sigilyph, and this set beats many of CP Sigi's switch-ins.
Ice Beam is a little more reliable and hits Gligar and Druddigon, while Heat Wave is a little stronger and hits Escavalier and Registeel. I prefer Ice Beam. Energy Ball is a must IMO because Rhyperior is such a threat, plus it hits Alomomola, Gastrodon, and the nooby Sharpedo switch-in.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

mfw viri sets up (Gligar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn / Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Roost

Alright so this is actually a little bit of theorymoning combined with a little bit of experience. I made this pretty cool team, however it gets completely pooped on by Virizion. I was running standard EQ Gligar but I said fuck that Virizion rapes me too hard :(, so I decided to run an absolutely lord set in the form of acrobatics Gligar, which not only bops Virizion, but also improves Gligar's ability to beat Yanmega, which is obviously an annoying af mon. In most cases you should be running Earthquake, but this is really cool for teams that have solid responses to Pokemon like Doublade and Cobalion. Its kinda nice though, because when Gligar switches into Hitmonlee or Escavalier, it is likely to get knocked off, and then it actually has a more powerful STAB move than Earthquake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delphox @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- Psyshock

Pretty straightforward. Sunny Day as Slowking comes in and then 2HKO with SolarBeam after Rocks as he does less than 50% with Scald. Fire Blast hits like a Calm Mind boosted one so it is not like it lacks in power. Fucks with Alomomola without having to run Psychic and without Water weakness its Special Bulk can shine.
Works well in sun teams and even in non sun teams i guess but using Victreebell is cool af.

252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 190-226 (48.3 - 57.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Slowking Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Delphox in Sun: 116-140 (39.7 - 47.9%)

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Say hello to innovation

Pineco @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion / Toxic Spikes / Rapid Spin
- Pain Split

Pineco is pretty cool, and it is probably my favorite hazard lead. It gets THREE turns of no death, and that is assuming that it is only setting hazards. The first hit uses berry juice. The second brings to sturdy. The third ko's. During that time, you set up both rocks and spikes. It struggles a tad with lead spinners, but if you play it well, you can explode in their face (or just run a ghost type alongside it...). The real fun is had with pain split. Every time you use pain split, it effectively cuts the opponent's health in half while restoring you to full health. It's cray. unlike fear, it isn't killed by priority. Unlike shedinja, it isn't killed by hail/status/hazards (especially if bjuice is intact). You can even spin on the last turn if you want to eliminate opposing hazards while they ko you. Then you keep hazards, they don't, and you have the switch in advantage. Pineco's hazard abilities are shut down by taunt users (so is everything else aside from shuckle tho. does pain split still work), multi hit mons (unless sturdy doesnt work that way), and magic bounce users (pain split for life).

The best thing ever is to disguise it as zoroark and kill xatu and everything else. Showdown shows it as a level 1 pineco, so who tf is going to question it? they will be so confused by pineco to begin with that they wouldn't think twice about zoro regardless. Swords dance and sweep their whole team imo. Then bring pineco in later for some just desserts. It can 1hko alomomola with knock off and false swipe support (just watch out for protect and regenerator). And forreal, what else can 1hko alomomola? It is a jack of all trades, master of all. It can set rocks. it can set spikes. it can spin. it can set toxic spikes. it can stall break. it can wall break. It can wall. It is 3hkod by yanmega. It is 3hkod by +2 zoroark. it is 3hkod by specs boomburst from exploud. it is 3hkod by choice band ramparados head smash. it is 3hkod by reshiram blue flare. it is 3hkod by sunkern absorb. what else avoids the 2hko by p much the entire meta except for level 1 probopass and aron and other sturdy mons? bulky af.

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion

gipsy curse (Banette) @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Disable
- Protect

Protect and Disable are a good combination on Banette, as they allow you to effectivly stop certain threats. Pokemon with Choice Items will have to switch out, which can give you a free switch into something frail but strong like Zoro, or into whatever counters/checks/beats the Pokemon that you expect to come in, or it just gives you a free Will-o-Wisp or Shadow Claw. It is also good at beating Monoattacking booster, like CM Spiritomb. The usefulness of spreading WoW is pretty obvious. It forces some mindgames, because when your opponent knows you have disable he probably won't be staying in after you protect, if he hasn't got other moves to hit you hard. This pokemon just beats so many other threats 1 on 1 and provides some Support. It's less of a kamikaze mon than the Destiny Bond. The EV Spread might not be optimal, but I didn't have the time to work something else out. I used it with Wish Support from Lickilicky, but that didn't work out too well, because Licky is pretty bad, Banette did some work though. A lot of Pokemons just cannot beat it. Meloetta, Hitmonlee and so on, and you don't even have to sacrifice it to win.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

I've been spreading this set everywhere lol. Calm Mind Cobalion works best against stall, where Pokemon such as Gligar, Doublade, Alomomola, Tangrowth, Golbat, etc all the physical walls that normally switch into Cobalion. The main idea is to lure said Pokemon, Calm Mind as they switch, and then hit them hard with the appropriate move, 2HKOing most of them at +1. This allows space for another Pokemon, particularly another Fighting-type Pokemon to come in afterwards and start sweeping thanks to Cobalion weakening/eliminating said walls and checks to the usual Fighting-types.

+1 252 SpA Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 144-171 (43.1 - 51.1%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (admittedly you kinda need sr or some prior damage here)
+1 252 SpA Cobalion Hidden Power Ghost vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 180-212 (55.9 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 104 HP / 156 SpD Alomomola: 327-385 (65.7 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Cobalion Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 129-153 (36.4 - 43.2%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (also need sr here)
+1 252 SpA Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tangrowth: 396-466 (98 - 115.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (all other variants including AV are 2HKO'd)

Say hello to innovation

Pineco @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion / Toxic Spikes / Rapid Spin
- Pain Split

Pineco is pretty cool, and it is probably my favorite hazard lead. It gets THREE turns of no death, and that is assuming that it is only setting hazards. The first hit uses berry juice. The second brings to sturdy. The third ko's. During that time, you set up both rocks and spikes. It struggles a tad with lead spinners, but if you play it well, you can explode in their face (or just run a ghost type alongside it...). The real fun is had with pain split. Every time you use pain split, it effectively cuts the opponent's health in half while restoring you to full health. It's cray. unlike fear, it isn't killed by priority. Unlike shedinja, it isn't killed by hail/status/hazards (especially if bjuice is intact). You can even spin on the last turn if you want to eliminate opposing hazards while they ko you. Then you keep hazards, they don't, and you have the switch in advantage. Pineco's hazard abilities are shut down by taunt users (so is everything else aside from shuckle tho. does pain split still work), multi hit mons (unless sturdy doesnt work that way), and magic bounce users (pain split for life).

The best thing ever is to disguise it as zoroark and kill xatu and everything else. Showdown shows it as a level 1 pineco, so who tf is going to question it? they will be so confused by pineco to begin with that they wouldn't think twice about zoro regardless. Swords dance and sweep their whole team imo. Then bring pineco in later for some just desserts. It can 1hko alomomola with knock off and false swipe support (just watch out for protect and regenerator). And forreal, what else can 1hko alomomola? It is a jack of all trades, master of all. It can set rocks. it can set spikes. it can spin. it can set toxic spikes. it can stall break. it can wall break. It can wall. It is 3hkod by yanmega. It is 3hkod by +2 zoroark. it is 3hkod by specs boomburst from exploud. it is 3hkod by choice band ramparados head smash. it is 3hkod by reshiram blue flare. it is 3hkod by sunkern absorb. what else avoids the 2hko by p much the entire meta except for level 1 probopass and aron and other sturdy mons? bulky af.
I've been running this precise Pineco for awhile now, always nicknamed "World's Best." It is indeed the World's Best Pineco. Zoro is a nice twist. But I have to object: explosion is a very poor choice on a lvl 1. Also, I put Rapid Spin opposite Spikes, but that much is personal preference. I might also put Toxic opposite Spikes because if well-timed, it can actually kill together with Pain Split. I would also disagree with your statement that it isn't killed by status and weather. While it's not literally killed by these, the effect is precisely the same as with Sheddy since after the residual damage is done, anything will outspeed and kill on the next turn.

But it's good to see some more Pineco love! Definitely my favorite hazard setter. It can wreck half a team before being taken out in some cases.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I've been running this precise Pineco for awhile now, always nicknamed "World's Best." It is indeed the World's Best Pineco. Zoro is a nice twist. But I have to object: explosion is a very poor choice on a lvl 1. Also, I put Rapid Spin opposite Spikes, but that much is personal preference. I might also put Toxic opposite Spikes because if well-timed, it can actually kill together with Pain Split. I would also disagree with your statement that it isn't killed by status and weather. While it's not literally killed by these, the effect is precisely the same as with Sheddy since after the residual damage is done, anything will outspeed and kill on the next turn.

But it's good to see some more Pineco love! Definitely my favorite hazard setter. It can wreck half a team before being taken out in some cases.
Explosion isn't meant for damage purposes. It is good for getting off a pseudo spin-block, breaking a sash, or a ghetto u-turn (on an opponent switchout, typically after you paint split)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Maybe not a creative set, but definitely an underrated one that I ended up using this entire suspect round:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Taunt

As I mentioned, I used this set my entire run this suspect test and it never let me down. So many people focus on the offensive aspects of Cobalion, but few people decide to look at its unique support movepool. Stealth Rock isn't really uncommon on Cobalion, but it's still here because it's a fantastic move. Same with Close Combat. Great STAB, still beats what it's supposed to, and keeps Cobalion from being a weak pansy. Volt Switch is where things get interesting. A lot of people forget that Cobalion even gets the move, but on a support-oriented set, Volt Switch lets Cobalion shine. Few Ground-types want to come in against it due to the threat of a Close Combat or Iron Head, and the same can be said of Jolteon, the most common Volt Absorb user in the tier. Taunt is where the fun really lies. With Taunt, Cobalion limits Accelgor to a single layer and completely shuts down opposing Omastar leads. If you have a Slowking, you p. much stop these two from doing anything since Final Gambit fails to KO Slowking (use Regen to get back up there in HP) and Omastar does jack shit to it. 96 Attack EVs ensures the 2HKO on Virizion with Close Combat while Speed is maximized to deal with as many things as possible with Taunt. 160 HP EVs improve Cobalion's overall bulk, thus allowing it to be a pretty decent check to many physical attackers thanks to its high Defense. Here's some replays of it in action for your pleasure. Two are against Omastar HO Teams, while the 3rd shows more of it's mid-game utility:

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Explosion isn't meant for damage purposes. It is good for getting off a pseudo spin-block, breaking a sash, or a ghetto u-turn (on an opponent switchout, typically after you paint split)
As someone who used this Pineco set quite a bit last gen (although with Defog and Rock Blast Rhyperior being so common i'm not sure how viable overall it is this gen compared to stuff like Omastar), i've gotta say Explosion is pretty subpar =/.

Because Pineco is so slow, the pseudo spin block doesn't really work, the opponent will simply spin before you can pull the Explosion off. The suicide method of keeping hazards up only really works if you're faster than the spinner, like Accelgor. It's always better just to go straight to your spinblocker and use Pineco as death fodder later on in the game to get another teammate in for free.

Rapid Spin, Toxic and Pain Split can also break sashes so i don't see how this is an advantage here.

I *guess* it can work to scout out a switch and get a teammate in for free, but i'd still much rather have another move such as Toxic Spikes (very good against offense without a grounded poison, wears down spinblockers, Toxic (passive damage on defensive Pokemon), or Rapid Spin (remove opposing hazards 1v1) in that slot than Explosion

Golurk @ leftovers
Iron fist
EVS: 252Atk . 252 HP. 4 SpD
Moves:
Substitute
Focus punch
Shadow punch
Ice punch

This set let's golurk set up on almost all to RU's walls , make a sub, then dish out an iron fist upgraded focus punch

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion

stop the input (Uxie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

While it probably isn't the most creative set, Calm Mind Uxie with Substitute is really very underused. Despite its pitiful special Attack it can be a very potent threat to a lot of teams, since it can easily get a lot of boosts and most defensive Pokemon will have troubles breaking the substitute, with or without boosts. Just think about how common Alomomola, Aromatisse, Amoonguss and similar Pokemon are. They are good Pokemon in this metagame and Uxie make full use of that. While it does have troubles beating certain Pokemon like AV Escavalier or Bronzong, these Pokemon can be lured out and damaged with for example HP Fire Amoonguss or something similar and they lack reliable Recovery, which makes it easy for the rest of the team to slowly take them down. Dugtrio and Toxic Spikes are also very good partner for this Set. Base 95 Speed is very good and it does not normally run max speed so sometimes people think that Knock Off Hitmonlee can revenge kill it, while it really cannot. I like this set and think it deserves some Usage.

Edit: For the nonbelievers, my second RU Open battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-156083631

Last edited:

migzoo

new money
So seeing as how Doublade is the most used Pokemon in 1760 stats, I began thinking of stupid creative ways to screw it over by abusing its ability (inspired by galbia and his Sing Cinccino). This is what I came up with:

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock / Protect / Iron Head
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Zap Cannon

Registeel is usually setup fodder for Doublade, but with No Guard Zap Cannon, this is no longer the case! Uninvested Zap Cannon is a 4HKO, which allows Registeel to beat most Doublade most of the time. This can work as a pseudo-trap if the opponent doesn't want to have another thing paralyzed. And of course, if you're feeling lucky, it can be used to surprise some other Pokémon. Also, it stops the infamous ChickenPass Xatu set.

Sawsbuck @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grasswhistle
- Baton Pass
- Return / Substitute / Swords Dance / Agility / Work Up
- Horn Leech

Arikado I'm trying really hard to make Sawsbuck Coffee happen, so I came up with this set. Doublade normally walls Sawsbuck HARD, which is where No Guard Grasswhistle comes in. Once Doublade is asleep, you can either set up, or just pass immediately. And of course, you can also try to get lucky with Grasswhistle if you're up against something that's not Doublade.

Note that this is all theory, but these sets shouldn't be that bad; at worst you're wasting one moveslot. At best they're a fun way to say "fuck you" to Doublade :]
But you have to admit, they are pretty creative, eh?

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I just love Hitmonlee :)

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge
- Mach Punch / Sucker Punch

I posted about this set in the viability rankings already, but wow this set is good. This thing is basically the RU definition of a wallbreaker (I know Clawitzer and w/e but Hitmonlee has clear advantages). After Stealth Rock, Double-Edge can 2HKO Aromatisse and Amoonguss, which is amazing. If Hitmonlee uses Knock Off as Gligar or Golbat switches in, Hitmonlee can switch out and prevent these two from switching back into it later as they will be 2HKOd by Double-Edge. Weezing can take two Double-Edges assuming not much prior damage has been taken, but lack of reliable recovery prevents it from switching in more than once. To my knowledge, defensive Spiritomb is the only counter to this set because it doesn't really care about Knock Off and is essentially immune to the rest of Hitmonlees moves. I know this is basically the standard Hitmonlee set with Double-Edge, but I feel like Double-Edge is a very underappreciated move on Hitmonlee.

Also, whoever still runs Fake Out Normal Gem Hitmonlee, please stop ;-;

I don't know if this has been done yet but:

Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Ability: Strong Jaw
EV's: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 68 SpDef
Iv's: 0 Spe
Brave Nature

-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Dragon Claw / Crunch

This is my trick room set Tyrantrum. It hits hard and can tank a few hits. With this set it 'reaches' 132 speed, which is slower than a lot of neutral natured walls (eg Alomomola-although it's a 4hko at best-, Defensive Tangrowth, Jellicent,...). It misses out on some OHKO's with Strong Jaw-Stone Edge instead of Rock Head Smash (eg the Head Smash OHKO on Defensive Golbat), but it nibs some other KO's with strong jaw-ice fang/crunch which it otherwise wouldn't.
For example

With Strong Jaw:
Ice Fang: 86.7% chance 2hko on Amoonguss after leftovers
Crunch: 98.8% chance of 2hko'ing bronzong after leftovers
Ice Fang: guaranteed 2hko on Eviolite Gligar
Crunch: Guaranteed 2hko on Meloetta (sub-cm) after leftovers
Crunch: 93.8% chance to OHKO Meloetta-P before Relic Song
Crunch: Guaranteed 2hko on 252/252 bold Jellicent (which isn't even used practically) after leftovers

Without Strong Jaw
Crunch: 85.6% to 3hko Bronzong after leftovers
Ice Fang: 0.4% chance to 2hko Gligar
Ice Fang: guaranteed 3hko on Amoonguss. after leftovers
Crunch: 0.4% chance to 2hko Meloetta (sub-cm) after leftovers
Crunch: Guaranteed 3hko on Meloetta-P
Crunch: guaranteed 3hko on 252/252 bold jellicent after leftovers

There's more but I think I've made my point. I go with crunch over dragon claw specifically for the many ghosts & psychics in RU. They all get at 2HKO'd, except for Cofagrigus due to his darned ability and the beast Cresselia.

With these EV's, it can tank a Blizzard from Abomasnow and live to tell the tale, OHKO'ing it with Stone Edge. It can also tank a modest life orb'd Clawitzers Aura Sphere 56.3% of the time, and while in Trick Room, Tyrantrum's faster so that's a KO too. Braviary OHKO's with Superpower but Tyrantrum OHKO's too with stone edge, so again, in Trick Room, advantage Tyrantrum. I haven't done other calculations because I don't play RU, I just enjoy using Tyrantrum in general.

[image]
[/image]
Ambipom @ Life Orb
Rash Nature
4 Att / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Fake Out
-Grass Knot
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Ice

Now hear me out before you think I'm a troll. Ambipom is a bad poke in RU. He's outclassed by Cinccino yet continues to see use due to people wanting the "free damage" from Fake Out. I made this set to debut on a joke team (physical Clawitzer, special Drapion, etc) but then realized that this thing is a very good lure for the current meta. Three, among the many things that stop it, of Ambipom's biggest stops are Gligar (excellent physical wall in RU), Rhyperior, and Doublade. When leading with this set, always start with the Fake Out so your opponent believes that it's a standard Ambi set, thus bringing in (hopefully) one of the 3 pokes I listed. Grass Knot OHKO's Rhyperior. Shadow Ball 2HKO's Doublade while living an Iron Head or while he Swords Dances. And has a good chance to OHKO Gligar with HP Ice.

Yes, this set is focused very narrowly but you are hard pressed to find a team that doesn't run at least one of Rhyp, Doublade, or Gligar. It's a very counter-meta thing to use right now and can lead to essentially free kills on pokes thinking they can wall it to hell and back.

Rocky Helmet Druddigon
Okay, so you only have to get beat by this bulky poke once or twice to know how deadly it can be to an unprepared team! Most sets will run life orb, or choice band and try to sweep. The other 50% will use it as a safe rocks user. This set can be used to complement a team that already has a hazard setter. Since Druddigon has nice bulk and a good typing defensively for RU, all complemented by rough skin, i figured a Rocky Helmet set would be useful. This thing can switch in on life orb Sharpedo, resist the attack, and give Sharpedo damage from rough skin and rocky helmet. It's like a Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn, except, more viable, and in RU. Fire Punch takes care of Cobalion, Virizion, Whimsicot, Magneton, and cause unreliable burns lol. Sucker punch kills anything low on health, and easily OH Sharpedo after the rocky helmet and rough skin damage. Dragon Claw is a more feasable STAB option than Outrage because you can use it even if the opponent has a benched Arromatisse and be able to switch out or use toxic. Toxic is there to compliment the bulk and lock in the win late game.

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-162258447

migzoo

new money
Rocky Helmet Druddigon
Okay, so you only have to get beat by this bulky poke once or twice to know how deadly it can be to an unprepared team! Most sets will run life orb, or choice band and try to sweep. The other 50% will use it as a safe rocks user. This set can be used to complement a team that already has a hazard setter. Since Druddigon has nice bulk and a good typing defensively for RU, all complemented by rough skin, i figured a Rocky Helmet set would be useful. This thing can switch in on life orb Sharpedo, resist the attack, and give Sharpedo damage from rough skin and rocky helmet. It's like a Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn, except, more viable, and in RU. Fire Punch takes care of Cobalion, Virizion, Whimsicot, Magneton, and cause unreliable burns lol. Sucker punch kills anything low on health, and easily OH Sharpedo after the rocky helmet and rough skin damage. Dragon Claw is a more feasable STAB option than Outrage because you can use it even if the opponent has a benched Arromatisse and be able to switch out or use toxic. Toxic is there to compliment the bulk and lock in the win late game.

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-162258447
Rocky Helmet Druddigon was a thing last gen, js. Also, you shouldn't be running max investment in both defenses. Generally Druddigon runs a lot of attack, a tad of speed, and the rest in HP. If you do want to run a defensive spread, run max HP. And Earthquake > Fire Punch imo, especially considering you don't have Sheer Force. You can't do much to Whimsicott that way, but eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)