CAP 19 CAP 19 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Welcome to the Art Submissions thread for CAP 19. The typing is Electric/Poison. As always, it's very important to read the rules before posting in this thread, and do not threadhog (see the rules on posting limits). While we have strict rules when it comes to how many posts you can make, we still do strongly encourage constructive discussion of art submissions and works-in-progress.

-----

This thread is open for final submissions, WIPs, and comments for the design of the CAP 18. Important considerations that will come into play over the course of this thread are base stats and abilities. Please see the process guide for clarification on the timing of these decisions and for the timing of the closure of this thread. Warnings will be posted multiple days ahead of submission closure.

***All material in both the main design and supporting material must be your own. Using another piece of art for inspiration is allowed, but blatant plagiarism will result in warnings or bans depending on the severity.***

Collaborative material (such as work made by multiple artists or a vision and art direction by a non-artist and execution by an artist) is not permitted.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the Main Design included in image tags directly below that, and supporting material (if applicable) below the Main Design.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

Main Design

The main design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. It must be suitable for display on the CAP PokeDex section of the CAP Website and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed.

The comparison to 'Official Pokemon Art' is only applicable to the basic content of the main design; it does not imply any standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • It must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no parts of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • It must not include offensive or obscene imagery.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • The design must be colored lineart with an distinct outline on the entire subject in contrast to the subject and background. Colored outlines are allowed but must not obstruct the clarity of the design.
  • No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed image dimension is 640 pixels and the minimum is 320 pixels. The maximum allowed image filesize is 200 kB.
  • It must be in jpg, png or gif format and must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.

The rules for main designs will be strictly enforced. Do not make comparisons to in-game Pokemon designs or to past CAP designs to determine if your design is in compliance with these rules. Some in-game Pokemon designs and past CAP designs do not conform with the current CAP art submission rules, and emulating those designs is not an acceptable excuse for breaking the strict interpretation of the current rules.

Supporting Material

There are almost no rules when it comes to supporting material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips are all allowed. Non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc. All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way.

Posting Rules

Posting Frequency

Intentionally or unintentionally, thread-hogging tends to be more prevalent in the art submission thread compared to other CAP threads. In order to ensure that everyone has a reasonable chance to showcase their designs and air their opinions, each poster must adhere to the following posting limits:
  • No more than one post in any single 24 hour span
  • No more than three posts in a 5 day span (120 hours)
Posters going over the limit will have their posts deleted or merged. Deleted posts (by the poster or by mods) still count toward the limits (except for accidental double-posts if they are immediately deleted). If you wish to add new comments or art within these limits, please edit your most recent post.

Posting Rules: Artists
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Each post should contain no more than one (1) full sized image which is no larger than 640 pixels in either dimension with a filesize no larger than 200 kB . Artists should post links to additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post.
  • The use of hide tags does not circumvent or alter any of the image posting rules.
  • Images must be in jpg, png or gif format and must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Out of courtesy to users with lower bandwidth, artists should not post links to images with filesizes exceeding 500 kB. You must include a warning if you do.
  • Do not post inconsequential updates to designs. Only if you have made a significant change should you post an update in the thread.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. You may not reserve an idea for yourself.
  • No bumping or begging, especially for feedback. If your design is any good, people will comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design is not very good. Consider the silence to be your feedback.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. For art resources on Smogon, check out Smeargle's Studio.

Posting Rules: Commenters
  • Please DO post constructive feedback for artists. Use the like button if all you have to say is "I like this."
  • Do not post ideas or images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to render your idea.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or make similar comments to that effect. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not comment that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon and therefore such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted.
  • Do not repost images from the thread. When quoting a post, remove any images.

Additionally, please do not suggest names for your or other peoples' concepts, as it may bias the name poll. Everyone should have a fair chance to suggest a name during the naming stage.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post, if applicable. All final submissions conforming to the rules above will be slated.

----
CAP 19 so far:

Leadership Team:

Pwnemon- Topic Leader
ginganinja - Ability Leader
srk1214 - Typing Leader
alexwolf - Movepool Leader
Deck Knight - Stats Leader​

Name: Einherjar ~Acta Est Fabula~

Description: A Pokemon that dissuades your opponent from fainting it, or can even leave it's presence on the field felt even after it faints.

Justification: When a Pokemon faints, it's usually thought of as the battle having gotten down to a 5-6. However, we've yet to discover if a Pokemon can leave a lasting impression on the battle even after having fainted; be it through moves like Healing Wish and Destiny Bond, placing hazards that the opponent can't remove as their removal has been taken care of, or by leaving an opponent's key member weakened and/or taken out.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • How can a Pokemon leave a long-lasting effect on the rest of the battle with just it's moves?
  • How the hell is it different from simply ramming a sacrificial martyr into your opponent's team and hoping it punches holes in it?
  • Building on the previous question, is it possible to build this Pokemon as a defensive threat rather than a "Glass Cannon"?
  • Is it even possible for a Pokemon to leave a lasting effect on on the battle, even after it faints?
  • Could changing your opponent's way of thinking even be plausible? From, "I need to take CAP X out!", to, "Damn, if I take CAP X out, I'll be in trouble...!"
Typing: Electric / Poison
Ability: Storm Drain / Vital Spirit OR Insomnia / ??
Stats: 60 HP / 57 Atk / 119 Def / 131 SpA / 98 SpD / 100 Spe

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This post is reserved as an index of art submissions. (approved by paintseagull)

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Supporting Art

Doing a platypus stood out to me as a smart choice for the typing. Both males and females have spurs that secrete poison on their ankles, which led me to give it a purple bottom. These monotremes also use electrolocation to navigate underwater, similar to dolphins. The pairing of Electric and Poison with this animal seemed like the way to go. It's a hodgepodge of an animal, so I feel like it lends itself well to two typings that do not mesh flavor-wise.

In terms of the art style, this is early preliminary work. The design will change largely based on our stats, abilities, and feedback from y'all. So don't be afraid to tell me what you like and dislike! Debating a change from gray to brown fur, as well as a host of other changes. Enjoy!

WIP

I figured a battery was a good representation, as it is Electric in that it produces currents and it is Poison in that its acid is poisonous.
Feedback? Does it look like it might be too much like a Steel type? Does it look like a battery at all?

image!

Supporting Art

Doing a platypus stood out to me as a smart choice for the typing. Both males and females have spurs that secrete poison on their ankles, which led me to give it a purple bottom. These monotremes also use electrolocation to navigate underwater, similar to dolphins. The pairing of Electric and Poison with this animal seemed like the way to go. It's a hodgepodge of an animal, so I feel like it lends itself well to two typings that do not mesh flavor-wise.

In terms of the art style, this is early preliminary work. The design will change largely based on our stats, abilities, and feedback from y'all. So don't be afraid to tell me what you like and dislike! Debating a change from gray to brown fur, as well as a host of other changes. Enjoy!
This is fantastic IMO, though I'm not an artist and never will be, so this isn't worth much. I really like the gray fur as it seems more electrical/stormy, so I say keep it. The one thing I would say is to... I guess sharpen those lines on those eyebrows as right now they look a bit out of place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
REAAALLY rough WIP's:

Design Concepts:
Manticore
Manticores are often depicted in myths as dangerous monsters that shoot poisonous spines that either paralyze or outright kill its victims. Quite passable as an inspiration for an electric/poison mon IMO. So far I'm still exploring its proportions and details, but I'd more or less go with the scorpion tail's current look for now. Besides, lions x dragons are kind of a thing in flags and symbolic thingies, aren't they? It's a good design relation if you ask me.

Stingray
The Stingray is a pretty good representation of electric/poison, albeit has the problem of a water typing vibe -- which is probably why the various design elements are strong in this one. I opted to add spines to indicate the rough electric/poison look, as well as circles being a recurring element in the tail, mandible-like cephalic fins on the head, as well as the pseudo-eyes on top.

Golden Poison Frog
If the name isn't enough of an indicator, the Golden Poison Frog is a good inspiration for a poison-type, which, with the proper design elements, could represent the electric-type, too. In this design I attempted to incorporate electrically charged beads/lacryma on its limbs and cheeks, and the arcs on its back give a design quirk (muh headphonez). The various body markings are there just to solidify the poison-type vibe.

As I said they're still rough WIP's so their design elements and proportions might change overtime :)

As always, comments, critiques and criticisms are welcome. :)

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is really rough:

It's supposed to be a genie sorta thing, using the concept of toxic gas clouds and thunder clouds put together. I felt like this would have been a really generic choice, so I made him look like a deranged psychopath, which sorta fits well with the "Dude, you gon' kill me?" attitude of this CAP. It's also a representation of your brain on drugs.
Originally, it was a bear. I had no idea how it ended up like this :P

I'd REALLY love some feedback on this guy, mostly about the design and color scheme. I feel like I should reverse the dark and light purple, but then the yellow would clash horribly with the light tone.

Magistrum I'm REALLY love of the manticore, but the golden frog could work as well, since CAP doesn't have an amphibian-species yet. For the most part, it depends on what the CAP's Abilities will be. If you happen to go with the manticore, I suggest a color scheme of yellow, white, and a touch of electric blue.

Ah, I immediately thought of manticores too! I don't particularly like any of the sketches I came up with in that vein, but I like where you're going with that one for sure, Magistrum. Gives off a fourth legendary dog type of vibe. I think even though it doesn't have the in-your-face electricity in its design that your others have, I'd definitely be able to identify it as electric type by the shapes in the face and markings, so you're on the right track.

My design is based off of the idea of a bombardier beetle using chemicals to deter predators from harming them. This guy would use the chemicals it secretes to achieve the same results, but it could also ignite the chemicals with its electrified antennae to create an even more volatile reaction. Still a WIP, so I'd like to get some feedback.
EDIT:
Forgot Inkscape saves with transparent background by default. Also, removed the spark, just to be safe :)

mod edit: Please wait until the name stage to suggest a name. And I'm leaving it for now, but please rehost your image on an external site.

Last edited:
changed design

Very WIP design.

It's based off an oriental hornet, which has a spot on its head that converts sunlight to electricity (for unknown reasons). I expanded this to other parts as solar panels so as to emphasize the trait, and added some elements towards a Poison typing (the skulls, warm coloration bar solar panels, pointy limbs and antennae, stinger).

The coloration doesn't seem that appealing, so I'm very welcome towards criticism.

Didn't put effort into shading it because it will hopefully change.

and no it won't stay in front view

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Once it was apparent that Electric/Poison would be the typing, I thought I'd try to make a scorpion with a lightning bolt tail, and here's what I have so far. I echoed the bolt patterns in the claws as well. At this point I'm not sure if my design is cartoony enough... This is the first time I've actively tried to use a ton of layers for a digital piece, and I was basically just experimenting with pixlr while coloring this. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Redid the legs to try to simplify them.

Comments for others:
Dracoyoshi8: I love the colors you chose, and your sketching style shows a lot of energy! It may just be the current pose, but as of now it reminds me a lot of Quagsire. Your use of electricity in the design seems quite creative. I'm looking forward to seeing your next draft.

Birkal: I agree that your choice of animal fits the typing quite well. Your purples seem muted, but this might just be that gray fur messing with my color perception. Having a warmer color, such as a light brown, would probably make the purple markings stand out better. Great job on your line quality and your pose/proportions. Your supporting art is quite fantastic, and I'm already partial to platypuses so overall I really like your design.

EpicUmbreon29: I think that your design looks more like a steel type than a poison one. Overall, I think the basic concept of a battery actually can work quite nicely. I've talked to you a bit in the PS Room, and I think you have some really creative ideas to change up your design and I can't wait to see them!

epicparker: I knew there would be some manticores this round, and I think yours does a good job of capturing the typing. Currently, some of the proportions for your creature's limbs seem a bit off, particularly in the back legs; I think this might just be a result of trying to get your WIP up quickly and I think once you have the time you should be able to fix these issues up rather easily. Great job on the eye!

Magistrum: Oh, Magistrum... wow. All three of your designs show promise. Personally, the instant you said Manta Ray on PS, I thought that was the route you should take. Of the three, I think the ray is definitely the most creative and thus is my favorite. The "wings" might be slouching downward just a tad too much for my tastes, but the tail is where the design truly shines. I really hope you at least consider moving forward with the ray. As of now, the frog reminds me a little bit of Toxicroak, but I do like your inclusion of the electric orbs. The manticore is well done, and I'm sure it would do well in the polls... it's just that I'm most impressed with the Manta Ray *_*

Sunfished: Hi Sun God! I actually think the toxic cloud + thunder cloud idea has a lot of promise. Currently, the lightning mouth and the purple design behind it are both competing for my eye's attention and almost make the spacial relationships in that area hard for me to judge. The little pot/jar seems to ground the image, which might hinder the idea of a thunder cloud as we usually think of clouds being free floating rather than attached to something on the ground... Conceptually, this is definitely one of my favorite designs so far but it does have some elements that seem to be in some level of conflict... I'm looking forward to seeing how your design progresses, and I'm sure it will be one kick butt Poison/Thunder Cloud when it's all said and done :D

TeraVolt: Your poison flask is both simple and adorable. I'm not sure if the poison spilling out or the spark will allowed to be in your final submission, since element's not outlined and essential to the Pokemon's standard (non-attacking) pose generally aren't allowed. I think trying to portray the electric type without the spark might be something to consider. I really love the creativity of your design though, and I'd hate to see it not go through because of issues with the rules. Good news is you have plenty of time left.

V4LOVER: The wings don't look too much like solar panels in their current state, but once you get your next draft up I think your concept will start to shine through. I have never heard of this particular hornet, but the idea is really neat. I'm somewhat worried of it looking too much like Beedrill, but the likeness so far might just be a result of that front pose. Good job on your nice, clean linework. I do agree with you that the color choice might seem a tad off. I'm guessing this might be a result of the orange, but I'd encourage you to experiment with different color options by adjusting your hue. Overall, the novelty of such a unique hornet is very appealing.

Last edited:
WIP
Past versions.
First version.

Current Version.

This took a lot of time, I had to take a picture with my phone and then do this to it in paint XD. This is very much a WIP.

I got my inspiration originally from brain cells, because the concept seemed like an electrical one that I could build off of to poison. I kept interpreting the design more and more until it was done. It's got tons of barbs and the sacs on the connecting thing are filled with poison. And finally, those little nifty designs above the eyeball hark to the needles in Jellyfish tentacles, the way they are contained in a pocket and dart out to sting the target. This is my first time submitting anything for CAP, kinda nervous :D

Some supporting art: Here!

V2: I removed one of the guys and replaced him with a stinger. This is because much of the feedback I got was about the complexity of the design, so I simplified it a lot.

V3: I tried my hand at shading and I think it worked well :D. I also am having trouble with what to put on the head, or whether I should just leave it with no design.

Feedback = Happy WhyAxis
Feedback for others: What is the noob WhyAxis doing? Well, prepare for some probably useless feedback.
Dracoyoshi8: I really, really like it. It really shows electric/poison, and it looks like it could go either way the stats decide to go.

Birkal: Platypus :) It doesn't feel as vibrant as yellow/purple would suggest, but maybe that is befitting of the illustrious platypus :D.

EpicUmbreon29: Not really feeling the poison here, but I do like the battery thing.

epicparker: So cute! :) I really like it, and I can't really offer any feedback on it.

Magistrum: Just...no words. Out of the three I like the manticore, as it just exudes power. Also, it actually looks vulnerable to ground :D

Sunfished: Every time I see this I like it more. I especially like the facial expression. Kinda looks like electrified smog.

Teravolt: Simply awesome. By that, I mean it is awesome because it is simple. It's not too complex and the concept is just clear and to the point :D. Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said.

V4LOVER: It looks awesome, but I don't really get the electric or the poison typing vibe from it. I think it's close, but needs a bit more to bring out those types.

HeaLnDeaL: This thing looks too good to be Pokemon-esque XD. Maybe cartoonify it a little. Also, I see both electric and poison but the color on the back reminds me of a fire-type. Awesome job :D.

WhyAxis: Awful job, needs work. You suck WhyAxis.

GoldNinja: Once I get past the lack of detail, I really like it. Reminds me of a doctor's syringe, which is bad for me but good for the concept :D.

Sgt. Moose: Couldn't be more accurate to the typing. Freaking love it.

Yveltal: I like both the first and second ones, but the first one screams the typing a bit louder than the second. Can't wait to see color :D.

mcFlareon: Oooooooh. I like how this deviates from the stupid early-game rodents in Pokemon. Maybe the design could do with a little more poison?

D4rk3r: I really like the Eel concept, kinda like Eelektross with more poison :D.

Hollymon: Really awesome :D. I never even considered those ball things for a Pokemon, and you pulled it off perfectly.

Regime: I like the concept, but it feels a bit steel-type. I'm sure you'll figure something out, I'm really bad at this kind off stuff XD.

OldManDugan: Where's the poison? All aside, I very much like it; love the expressions on their faces.

Eragon2: Snail :D. It seems very goopy :)

Quanyails: I like it, it's very noble :D. Not much to say here.

Last edited:
WIP

This is actually my first attempt at anything like this (and also a WIP that I made on word), so please ignore any general roughness. The idea is that it's supposed to kind of resemble a firefly, but mixed with the concept of the sandman. Instead of using sand, it puts people to sleep at night with a gas that it spews from its tail. It has spots on its body and wings that act as lights so that it can navigate.

I have no clue which direction I want to go. Can I ask for everyone's opinions?

Omigod, i feel like I should be more serious here, like I need to preface that I don't know exactly where any of these would/could/should go. It also doesn't help that the thumbnails that photobucket creates don't follow the forum guidelines, so you have to risk browsing through my horrid PB account while viewing these. Is that important, or should I just get on with it?

......ok here it is

Art Concept 1:
Link
Electric/Poison makes me think of Acid-electronica music, and I thought it'd be a fun idea to turn an instrument into a monster. My first pass for this idea was a guitar scorpion, because Electric Guitar+The Scorpions seemed like a good Pokemon-ish visual joke. Though, since there's another scorpion already, I may want to find another animal...but also, I feel like I drew him with such strong shapes because I want this CAP to be easy to model once we begin our 3D portion for the first time (hopeful yay).

Art Concept 2:
Link

I'm in love with the inspiration for Yilx's concept (even though he wasn't very passionate about the naming), and I wanted to keep with it. My second concept is intended to be an einherjar who doesn't know how to stay dead. He escaped Valhalla with some valkyrian armor to prove that he can hold his own on the battlefield, but became cursed and horribly mutated. The reasoning for it being Elec/Poison comes from the idea of being a fallen/corrupted Norse legend.

Art Concept 3:
Link
Meant to be the first pass for a neurotoxin Pokemon. He's a little virus (Poison) who targets and steals the energy of neurons (Electric). I wanted him to look bug-eyed and warped, almost like he's teeming with energy and can barely hold himself together. He has to infect his next victim soon (muahaha)

Those are my really rough WIPs. Every opinion counts, I really want to enter something this time around ;-;

EDIT: I got a post-worthy pic for documentation reasons that contains all three of them

Last edited:
So many quick good concepts already, already had a few in mind as soon as the typing was confirmed like something battery related or something stingray/electric ray related but looks like people beat me to it :O

well I guess for the sake of something different I tried something a bit more left-field:

WIP

Introducing Hacker-rat. Sort of a darker turn for an electric rodent.

I tried to combine all different ideas- most obviously a visual pun of a computer mouse. I've sort of played with the idea of how rats are pests and even help spread the bubonic plague in the past and put it in a modern environment. Hacker-rat carries all sorts of viruses- both poisonous and the electronic kind (I've always wanted to create a poison-type rat and the electronic/virus angle is just something new I decided to make it fit with CAP).

Its habitat would be one of those dirty modern city grids with lots of wires for it to chew on. It causes trouble to electronic networks by leeching on the electricity through the wires and at the same time, infecting computer networks/damaging the physical devices so you do not want swarms of these pests around. It has a sort of battery-like light on its back and it must keep on feeding on electricity to live, otherwise the light and it's eyes will slowly turn to red and it's movements will turn very sluggish- pretty much a low battery mode. Basically like a zombie rat that constantly needs electricity.

It also has a snake-like appendage on its tail that mimics a cable/venomous snake. Or maybe it is part-snake like a second consciousness like Girafarig- I can't decide yet. It uses this part to feed itself electricity. Its claws and actual teeth on its mouth are sharp enough to claw through devices that try to protect the wires so it is definitely one troublesome pest.

As for the colour scheme I wanted something dark and electronic. Imagine in a dark corner you suddenly see glowing eyes- so I opted for a mostly dark body. I wanted the lighter parts to feel bright but slightly dark and toxic as well, hence the acidic yellow/green.

We'll see how the rest of the CAP process goes and I can sort of tweak the design accordingly. Now for comments:

• Dracoyoshi- Cute with the electric orbs but I feel the colours used clash too much for me. I think you could play a little bit with the glowing orbs and have a darker purple skin to emphasise the contrast between light and dark. Or maybe shift a few orbs behind it's lower back to balance out the design.

• Birkal- Feels a bit like evil villain version of Perry at first glance, maybe it's the harsh electric eyebrows and collar. I think you could definitely do something interesting with the tail pattern instead of just a normal grid, I feel that lends itself well for something electric. Maybe the ankle spurs can be bigger compared to the rest?

• EpicUmbreon29- Definitely build upon this idea more. Battery + acid idea works really well for the typing but I think you can definitely work on the design a bit more so it's not so generic robot. Maybe you could have something with a battery pack on its back? Instead of the whole battery as the body, that way you could free yourself from the cylinder shape a bit.

• Magistrum- Very interesting designs. Love the manticore's tail the most. The stingray is also an interesting choice but I think the main body in general needs work, it feels too generic ragged cape-like at the moment. Poison dart frog is very interesting and lends itself well to very bright colour contrasts. Purple/yellow seems like a hard contrast to pull off with the typing and some shades can be a bit strange but with a poison dart frog you definitely have the license to go bright and go crazy with colours. The electric orb things are an interesting element, love this the most.

• Sunfished- interesting concept but I think you could go interesting with the actual 'lamp'. If you nail that that's half of the design done. A stormy cloud beat sounds interesting as well though!

• Terravolt- I think yoiu can work on the container part of the design a bit more, have some elements that give it character rather than just a glass flask. Sort of like how a jack-o-lantern really adds character because of the pumpkin container.

• V4lover- I think you should make the wings angular or rectangular if you want the solar panel vibe. Also play with bright warning colours a bit more which would work really well with the typing.

• HeaLnDeal- Love your colour scheme the most so far. Interesting idea with the tail but I think the claws are too much for me. That or change the angle of the lightning bolts (instead of the bolt being on one plane, it should be sideways. Hard to explain but let's say the bolt is on the x-plane, I think you should switch it to the y-plane). Not sure if you understood that but it's though for me to put into words, just play around with the claws a bit more.

• WhyAxis- Feels a bit too complicated for me, maybe simplify the amount of limbs a bit more or change the angle so it doesn't feel all over the place? I think the tentacle/needle things dominate too much of the image so it feels too busy so maybe adjust the size of them?

• Goldninja- Cute concept, maybe you could have an abdomen or tail-tank-like thing for the gas to come out of? It would feel more natural than a cord from the back. I would suggest giving it some limbs as well to back up your basis of the design a bit more, it feels a bit too abstract at the moment.

• Sgt.Moose- I love the eyes and the Gloom-like saliva but I feel it needs some more design elements so it's not just a walking battery. Maybe playing with the + and - sign or something?

• Yveltal- Love the guitar scorpion the most, I feel out of the trio it can stand on it's own and has the most solid biology. Love the tail but the claws make it seem a bit Steel-like? Maybe add some sharp edges at the end or something like the tail?

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
First Sketches

Swapped palette

^^A few quick sketches, very very WIP.^^
It's a cross of an eel and a snake.
-EDIT-
vv Somewhat more polished images, feedback would be very appreciated <3

>Green<
>Purple<

As for some supporting art, I tried to shed some light on how the fin thingy on it's back works
>Click<
it was actually a little mistake drawing it like that in the first place but I like it now it looks nice enough

More edits: omg i need to stop drawing at this speed Some more supporting art!

Last edited:
Some absolutely fantastic artwork so far.

Feedback in the spoiler thingy.

Dracoyoshi8: That salamander is awesome, I definitely prefer the original over the alternate. I love how the bulbs of electricity look like poisonous spores.

Birkal: That's pretty cool. I'm curious what it would look like in brown. You could possibly replace the purple part of it's legs with purple lightning bolts on the body. Unless you were purposely keeping away from that stereotyping of electric mons.

EpicUmbreon29: It does look a bit too heavy on the steel typing, and kind of looks like a block of plutonium. Would be a good design with some refinement, while not necessary, it might suit a more organic approach - a battery-mushroom or something?

epicparker: The manticore is nice, I could be alone in thinking this, but the face looks a little placid to me.

Magistrum: I much prefer the stingray and manticore over the frog. The stingray is especially unique and portrays the typing surprisingly well.

Sunfished: Nice idea with the thunderstorm toxic genie, although I didn't realise it was meant to be a genie until you said so. I think it's because of the lamp, it looks kind of similar to Spiritomb's lockstone to me, plus it would definitely be more genie-like if it followed a more typical genie lamp shape.

Teravolt: It's awesome, unsure about the blue spark though. Not sure if that would compromise the legality of your submission if you stuck with it either.

V4LOVER: I like the idea. Although I can't see any sign of the electric typing. I see you mentioned solar panels, but that might be a little too subtle.

HeaLnDeaL: The tail looks great, especially the how the colouration is distinct from the rest of the body. I'm unsure about the bolt-claws personally.

WhyAxis: It looks a bit too complex, if you could remove one of the neurons or make it significantly smaller like it's a club on the end of a tail it might be better. Interesting idea behind it though.

Goldninja: It would be really nice to see a little more detail and definition between the body, head and tail. It's looking a bit two-dimensional as it stands.

Sgt. Moose: I love that battery turtle, touches on the typing perfectly. Might be my current favourite!

Yveltal: I would choose option one or three over option two, they fit the style of the typing much better.

McFlareon: I like that rodent, maybe it needs something more than the tail (which is awesome) to emphasise the poison typing though.

D4rk3r: Good snake 'mon, looks pretty menacing I like it. the electric beard is a good touch.

Art critic mode: ACTIVE
Birkal: Looks great, glad to see a not-derpy platypus. It seems a tad too busy though. Lose the cowl and shorten the eyebrows, should look much more natural that way.

D4rk3r: I like it a lot, nice and simple. However, I'm thinking it would look less like existing snake-mons have more of its own identity if you changed the colors around. Try a lime green body and a purple belly.

Dracoyoshi8: Amazing. Tail seems kinda fat though.

epicparker: Those wings are way too short. At first glance, I thought they were tatoos or something. Also, please give him a mouth.

EpicUmbreon29: I like the concept, but the execution is meh. I was once like you, then I downloaded Paint.net. Layers are very helpful when building an image.

GoldNinja: Eh. It looks like a Dratini with irritable bowel syndrome. And no face. Maybe make the wings bigger?

HealnDeal: Love the colors. But no actual organism could expect to succeed at hunting anything with claws looking like that. Perhaps replacing them with extra heads ala Hydriegon would work.

Magistrum: OMG GO WITH THE MANTICORE.

mcFlareon: Simply awesome. Just make sure the blue parts end up shiny so we can tell it's plastic.

Sgt.Moose: Add a second head on the other end with minus shaped eyes. You're welcome.

Sunfished: Make him green to evoke radiation. Looks like Spiritomb otherwise.

Teravolt: LOL. I would nix the spark and the leaky fluid, they might disqualify you for having action effects.

V4Lover: The design is good, he just needs a more dynamic pose.

WhyAxis: Too busy. Please cut one of them off.

Yveltal: Go with number three. He's cute and unique. I'd make him white with yellow and purple trim.

Eh, I'm not really satisfied with this. It's based on plasma balls, bio-luminescent jellyfish, scorpion tails and syringes. Basically I imagine it flashing in the deep depths of the ocean to attract prey which it stabs and poisons it or paralyses it. It can do this for defense against larger Pokemon as well. It can walk on land using its sturdy tentacles as legs.

So what do you think? My personal favourites so far are Magistrum manticore and TeraVolt cute thing!

dammit i missed all the comments and critiques

edit gave it a face

Last edited:

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Comments for... everybody! Behind the Hide
Great start everyone!

Draco: I like how the glowing electric balls work with the design, and the overall idea, but I think the body shape and pose could be more interesting.

Birkal: A solid start, but the design elements could be improved. Notably, the head and neck area seem pretty forced. I also don't really like the stick-like arm design on this guy. The grey colour is definitely not a good choice for a poison/electric, which screams bright colours to me.

EpicUmbreon: It doesn't much look like a battery, but you wouldn't want to go too literal with that idea. It definitely needs some work. Try thinking about its personality, and some different shapes and proportions.

epicparker: This is a pretty good start - what's going on with the wings though? Don't be afraid to exaggerate your design elements.

Magistrum: These are all cool, the Stingray is my favourite. The Manticore is definitely cool but it might struggle to stand out.

Sunfished: Great concept, I think it could work well but there is room for improvement. His head shape is a bit boring right, especially the top of the head. I suggest trying to make it more imposing and have more personality, like an extravagant hair-do. I'm not sure if he really needs to be coming out of a pot, or if you need to put the explicit symbols in the design. Those things feel a bit forced to me.

TeraVolt: This is super cute and clever. I wonder if he'd pass for a fully evolved pokemon though? (also, the goop and bubbles would not be ok in the final submission - maybe you could integrate that into a 'tail' part of the design more explicitly.)

V4Lover: Definitely too literally a hornet, especially since it's not a bug-type. I like the concept and skull design elements though. The colours just need to be brightened up.

HeaL: Good start, and I like the colours. It's definitely not cartoony enough - it's proportioned like a real scorpion. Exaggerate some parts and de-emphasize some others and try to give it more personality. I like how you did the claws and tail.

WhyAxis: Welcome! The design is a bit confusing as you've drawn it, it took me a minute to figure it out, but it's a neat idea. I don't really feel the poison typing much as it is right now. I think right now the connecting parts are a bit too large, they are distracting from the two cells. I would not use overt symbols like power symbols on the design either.

GoldNinja: Pretty good idea to start - keep working on its personality and try using reference images to give you ideas. Its head is very boring right now, maybe start with that!

Sgt Moose: Nice, this could definitely work. I think it would be neat if its battery was a lot bigger, it would make it look more imposing. Simplicity works but I feel like you could do something a little more with it, but I can't think of what.

Yveltal: Waah I like both the guitar and the neurotoxin a lot. I really feel like a more amorphous sprite-like thing could work well for this typing, but the guitar is a really cool idea too and you did a great job making it look like both a guitar and a scorpion. Wait and see on the stats/abilities maybe.

mcFlareon: Cool idea and nice execution, but since we already have so many electric rodents that aren't poison type in Pokemon, you can't really just rely on a rat being a rat to communicate the poison typing.

D4rk3r: I like the colours and design elements! Looks good so far.

Hollymon: This is a cool start… but yeah keep building on it. The idea is solid. How can you give it personality? How can you make it look like a fully evolved pokemon? I'm not sure what the answers are, it'll need a good brainstorming session. The colouring looks really nice so far!

Regime

the party is December 18th
is an Artist Alumnus
WIP Design, just decided to finish the piece cause Whynot but yeah. SuperCharged Stonefish.

A Stonefish, obviously a fish, is a highly toxic barbed animal, and this was attempted to be based off of that; it looks more like an angler fish but whatever. The pylons/teslas are to give an electric type feel, along with the lights that can be found along the fishes body.

EDIT: There I got the correct image size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)