Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
That has a broken link. At least for me. I'll try to see if I got everything...

Ubers (other than 670+ mons)
Excadrill
Tornadus-T
Thundurus-I
Landorus-I
Deoxys-S
Deoxys-D
Deoxys-N
Deoxys-A
Manaphy
Shaymin-S
Darkrain
Blaziken

BL
Chansey
Froslass
Staraptor
Gothitelle
Kyurem
Wobbuffet
Chandelure
Snow Warning
SmashPass
Drizzle + Swift Swim

BL2
Venomoth
Cresselia

BL3
Scolipede
Jynx

So clearly this gen has banned a lot more, especially UU.

Using a timid Altaria, what significant threats are outsped by adding how many Evs?

going with 252, it's base speed at lvl 50 reaches 145, but this seems unnecessary.

Can I get away with adding less, perhaps just enough to have it pass 120? (172 I think?)

So how many EVs would be worth investing depending on what I wanted to go faster than?

IS there a better way to word this question? Is my actual question even clear?

Last edited:
Using a timid Altaria, what significant threats are outsped by adding how many Evs?

going with 252, it's base speed at lvl 50 reaches 145, but this seems unnecessary.

Can I get away with adding less, perhaps just enough to have it pass 120? (172 I think?)

So how many EVs would be worth investing depending on what I wanted to go faster than?

IS there a better way to word this question? Is my actual question even clear?

I will give you a list of speed tiers you can outspeed with what investment, since a lot of pokemon under 80 base speed tend not to run max speed.

Outrunning base 60's with a neutral nature and max speed will require 20 speed EV's.
Outrunning base 60's with a positive nature and max speed will require 100 speed Ev's
Outrunning base 65's with a neutral nature and max speed will require 60 speed Ev's
Outrunning base 65's with a neutral nature and max speed will require 140 speed Ev's
Outrunning base 70's with a positive nature and 252 speed EVs will require 20 speed EV's.
Outrunning neutral base 75s with max investment requires 132 speed Ev's
Outrunning positive speed nature base 75's, with max investment, requires 220 speed Ev's

Personally, I'd either run 220 or max it out. A few mons lurk in between base 75 and 80 them being: Vanilluxe (79); Blastoise, Feraligatr, Diggersby (78); Heatran (77); and Nidoqueen and Hitmonchan (77), so you can plan accordingly if you wish to outspeed those.

I hope I helped a little bit, and I apologise if this wasn't as helpful as you had hoped for.

What is a Naive Landorus-I's move set typically?

Barring that, what tutor moves are worth giving to Naive Landorus-I, even if it's niche use?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
What is a Naive Landorus-I's move set typically?

Barring that, what tutor moves are worth giving to Naive Landorus-I, even if it's niche use?
1. Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

2. Stealth Rock, Gravity, and Knock Off are tutor moves you should/can consider on Landorus, but the set I posted is the standard one w/ Knock Off.

1. Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

2. Stealth Rock, Gravity, and Knock Off are tutor moves you should/can consider on Landorus, but the set I posted is the standard one w/ Knock Off.
Are there any vital targets for HP Ice that can't be 2HKO'ed by any other move combo? With Sheer Force, Psychic hits anything not 4x weak about as hard, and EP is the strongest move on any neutral target. The only thing that comes to mind is Dragonite (bar CBB set) with Multiscale intact and Garchomp (on the switch, since he outspeeds, though fails to OHKO with a Scarf).

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
thanks, this is a friend asking me these things.
how much investment on jolly gyara to outspeed ninja and noivern respectively?
I'd recommend using Adamant > Jolly, but anyway, Jolly Gyarados needs 128 EVs for Greninja and 132 EVs for Noivern. :)
Are there any vital targets for HP Ice that can't be 2HKO'ed by any other move combo? With Sheer Force, Psychic hits anything not 4x weak about as hard, and EP is the strongest move on any neutral target. The only thing that comes to mind is Dragonite (bar CBB set) with Multiscale intact and Garchomp (on the switch, since he outspeeds, though fails to OHKO with a Scarf).
CBBNite + SpDef Gliscor are huge reasons why HP Ice are good on Lando. They also handle opposing Lando and Lando-T better, but those are 2HKOd with Psychic.

I'd recommend using Adamant > Jolly, but anyway, Jolly Gyarados needs 128 EVs for Greninja and 132 EVs for Noivern. :)

CBBNite + SpDef Gliscor are huge reasons why HP Ice are good on Lando. They also handle opposing Lando and Lando-T better, but those are 2HKOd with Psychic.
I prefer Psychic since, in the past, I've found my teams having more trouble with things like Mega Venusaur, but to be safe, are there any good teammates for Landorus that can also handle those two at least? Only thoughts I've had so far are for Kyurem-B, since Teravolt ignores Multiscale and he's still not weak to Mega Venusaur, but having two Wall Breakers like that seems somewhat redundant.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
I prefer Psychic since, in the past, I've found my teams having more trouble with things like Mega Venusaur, but to be safe, are there any good teammates for Landorus that can also handle those two at least? Only thoughts I've had so far are for Kyurem-B, since Teravolt ignores Multiscale and he's still not weak to Mega Venusaur, but having two Wall Breakers like that seems somewhat redundant.
Any Ice-type handles them well. Mamoswine is my favorite, but Weavile and Kyurem are also good. I wouldn't necessarily say having two wallbreakers on the same team is a bad thing; it really depends on the structure of the team. Landorus breaks through Clefable + Chansey while Kyurem-B breaks through CBBNite and Gliscor, so they complement each other decently.

Any Ice-type handles them well. Mamoswine is my favorite, but Weavile and Kyurem are also good. I wouldn't necessarily say having two wallbreakers on the same team is a bad thing; it really depends on the structure of the team. Landorus breaks through Clefable + Chansey while Kyurem-B breaks through CBBNite and Gliscor, so they complement each other decently.
Might go with Weavile, since it also offers priority and an overall fast Pokemon for Revenge Kills on top of breaking those two.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
If a Pokemon is forced to Struggle when holding a Choice Band (e.g. because the move has been Disabled or simply from running out of PP) will the Choice Band then boost the power of Struggle? Just wondering ^_^ (in the Battle Maison I used my Aegislash to stall CB Aerodactyl out of Stone Edge PP, but Struggle hit surprisingly hard. I figured this question is also related to competitive, so here we are)

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
If a Pokemon is forced to Struggle when holding a Choice Band (e.g. because the move has been Disabled or simply from running out of PP) will the Choice Band then boost the power of Struggle? Just wondering ^_^ (in the Battle Maison I used my Aegislash to stall CB Aerodactyl out of Stone Edge PP, but Struggle hit surprisingly hard. I figured this question is also related to competitive, so here we are)
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. I haven't tested it on showdown or anything, but it's a physical attack, so I assume it would.

How is Defiant Thundurus good? You can only get it via dream radar and can't change IV's for hidden power or anything!
For in-game battles, Defiant Thundurus may not be as usable as it is relatively hard to obtain (as you mentioned).

However, for simulator battles (PokemonShowdown), Pokemon are provided for you (You can very easily customize their moveset/EVs/IVs), meaning you don't have to breed or reset to obtain good Pokemon.

As for Defiant Thundurus itself, it's a good option for offensive teams that want a Pokemon that can punish Defog users (Mandibuzz, Latios, Latias). Investing in attack means that Thundurus can also surprise and heavily damage specially defensive Pokemon that would normally check it.

How is Defiant Thundurus good? You can only get it via dream radar and can't change IV's for hidden power or anything!
In game Thundurus can be RNG abused.

As for it's viability, Defiant Thundurus makes a good Defog punisher, since it beats almost every common defogger, and can run decent mixed sets with the Defiant providing an Attack Boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)