Challenge The Gauntlet Challenge: 2.0

I'll have a shot at this. I'd like three rule challenges and six event challenges, of medium difficulty, please. The game I will be playing is White. I will be playing up to the defeat of Alder.

Rule Challenges:
  1. You can't use any Pokemon from the Desert (including the Fossils). TV Tropes calls it the "Disc One Nuke Desert" for a reason; everything there makes the rest of the game too easy. (From Karxrida)
  2. You actually have to use the Elemental Monkey you get from the Dream Yard. It needs to be on your team when you beat Dennis Ghestis and has to be at least level 45 when the credits roll the first time. Failing this challenge means you have to change your profile picture to a Stunfisk. (From Karxrida)
  3. "When it's fire vs. ice... Fire. Always. Wins."

You may not use any non-Fire-type moves against any Ice-type Pokemon (including dual-types). (From PSDuckie)
Event Challenges:
  1. When facing Cheren at Route 10, none of your Pokemon can use STAB moves. Stat-altering and status-affecting moves are exempt from this challenge if you wish. (From Naix)
  2. No switching Pokemon around (in battle or out of it) while you're in Victory Road. (From Naix)
  3. While battling through Elesa's gym (including Elesa herself), you're not allowed to heal Paralysis by any means. (From Jimera0)
  4. Catch a Pokemon on the Route outside of Chargestone cave or inside the cave itself after beating Clay. This Pokemon will be the only Pokemon you can have in your party for your first trip through chargestone cave. Feel free to grind before making the trip, go back to the Pokemon center to heal, use healing items, etc. anything you need in order to make it through. (From Jimera0)
  5. You must kill Zekrom X times without healing between before actually attempting to capturing him. X shall be equal to the number of Legendaries you still have around that have not been defeated and are available pre-E4 (So, worst case scenario you have to beat Zekrom 4 times before finally trying to catch him) (From hitoshura0)
  6. Before fighting Alder, you must successfully defeat Morimoto AND Cynthia without healing inbetween. Order is up to you. (From hitoshura0)

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Karxrida did you forget that there's a 2 challenge per a person limit? :P Pick two of those and I'll take them. They all seem OK to me, though I'd have to put in a clause on the HM one where if no blue Pokemon currently available to me can learn an HM I need to progress, that I can use a temporary HM slave.
No TMs and no HM slaves then. The clause for the HM one is fine.

Bard of Rage I've go a couple rule ones for you.

Rule Challenge 1: You can't use any Pokemon from the Desert (including the Fossils). TV Tropes calls it the "Disc One Nuke Desert" for a reason; everything there makes the rest of the game too easy.

Rule Challenge 2: You actually have to use the Elemental Monkey you get from the Dream Yard. It needs to be on your team when you beat Dennis Ghestis and has to be at least level 45 when the credits roll the first time. Failing this challenge means you have to change your profile picture to a Stunfisk.

Loving this thread by the way.

Jimera0

I actually did have recovery moves in mind (albeit not passive ones), but considering both your concerns about the difficulty of the event and the fact that I initially had it as just "healing items", so let's just go with that. Also I'd be willing to count Spear Pillar and the Distortion World as places other than Mt. Coronet if necessary.
TL;DR Originally meant recover and co were forbidden as well, decided to change the challenge to forbidding items only, ending point is Spear Pillar.

Bard of Rage

Here are some more challenges for you to consider...

Event: When facing Cheren at Route 10, none of your Pokemon can use STAB moves. Stat-altering and status-affecting moves are exempt from this challenge if you wish.

Event: No switching Pokemon around (in battle or out of it) while you're in Victory Road.

Last edited:
Naix Karxrida

Thanks for the clarifications, you're both fully accepted now. Naix if you want you can still give me 1 more challenge; I really want to fill up my challenge requests before Sunday if I can.

Bard of Rage

I got a couple challenges for you.

Event Challenge:
While battling through Elesa's gym (including Elesa herself), you're not allowed to heal Paralysis by any means.

Event Challenge:
Catch a Pokemon on the Route outside of Chargestone cave or inside the cave itself after beating Clay. This Pokemon will be the only Pokemon you can have in your party for your first trip through chargestone cave. Feel free to grind before making the trip, go back to the Pokemon center to heal, use healing items, etc. anything you need in order to make it through.

Good luck!

Also for everyone posting on this topic, if there are people who you haven't given any challenges to yet or if you've only given 1 to them, you should make the effort to give them a challenge. If you want the Gauntlet Challenge to take off we're going to have to show that we can fill gauntlets up so that people can actually play them! It should bring in more people so that your own gauntlets get filled faster too.

Jimera0, here's another Event challenge: You know how frustrating the northern half of Route 210 is without a Defogger? Well, if you haven't yet, you get to find out! That's right, you get to go through the northern half of Route 210 without using Defog once! Also, you only gave me one Challenge, so if you provided another I would be quite appreciative... You can join in too, Bard, if you want...

Last edited:
Naix

Duh'oh! When I was making my previous post I thought I hadn't given a second challenge to someone, but I assumed it was Celever for some reason. When I saw I had given him two I assumed I had been mistaken about only giving 1 challenge to someone. That's what happens when you post at 4:30 in the morning XD. Anyway, your challenge is accepted. Here's a second one for you.

Event Challenge:
When travelling down the staircase while chasing Venus in the Under, you're not allowed to use any healing items or to backtrack and heal. This challenge starts at the top of the staircase and ends at the bottom of the staircase. Good luck!

Celever

Learned from you that you're taking 12 rule challenges (just want to point out, that's an INSANE number of rule challenges; you sure about this?) still, so I'll give you a third one.

Rule Challenge: You cannot use any Pokemon that can be caught in one of Kanto's caves in the version you are playing (meaning Mt. Moon, Rock Tunnel, Diglett's Cave, the Seafoam Islands and Victory Road). To keep this from being too limiting, this doesn't count Pokemon obtained by fishing or surfing in those caves, just those encountered by walking around.

BTW, I know it's difficult updating your post from your iPad but you're going to have to update your request post if you want more challenges. As it is, it's far too hard to keep track of what challenges you have already and that'll turn off people trying to give you challenges because it's too much work tracking down all the challenges you've been given. It could also lead to a lot of conflicting challenges.

Last edited:
Thank you for the challenge Jimera0, it has been accepted and edited into my OP.

I'll write up some challenges for Celever once I'm able to get back on a computer.

Naix and Jimera0, your challenges have been accepted. Victory Road is going to be tough.

And now to dish out some challenges.

Celever
Event: You are not allowed to use super effective moves while fighting Brock.
Event: You are not allowed to use Flash while exploring Rock Tunnel.
Rule: No two Pokemon in your team can know the same move.

Naix
Rule: You may only use basic Pokeballs to snag Pokemon. Nothing else.
Rule: Your team must contain two Pokemon that share at least one type at all times, starting at the first opportunity.

Jimera0
Event: No using super effective moves while fighting Cynthia.
Rule: Your Pokemon must always be holding a berry of some description.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Jimera0 time for moar challenges!

Event Challenge: You must spend an amount of money equal to 10k x the combined total of Pokemon lost in the Distortion World, immediately after leaving it. This money must be used on Escape Ropes. Because they might be useful when you go back!!!!!

Rules Challenge: You may not evolve your Pokemon more than a total of 5 times. so, if you evolve your starter and your Starly twice, you can only evolve one other time. Ever.

Both of Bard of Rage's challenges have been accepted! All I need now to begin my Gauntlet is one last Event Challenge.

Celever, here's a Rule Challenge: To quote The Highlander, "There can be only one!" What I mean by this is that you can only obtain one Pokemon per area. Keep in mind, though, that this doesn't have to be the first one you see, as is in the case for nuzlockes. Trades and Gift Pokemon count as "obtained." HM Slaves are not exempt from this rule, but Pokedex filler (if you intend to do the post-game) are.

Also, another: Flying's for the birds! What I mean by this is that you cannot use the move Fly out of battle for any reason whatsoever.

And since you said you're accepting three, here's yet another Rule Challenge: Use bombs TMs wisely! Every Pokemon that you have has the mental capabilities to learn only one move from a TM each*. Still, it can forget the move if you wish. Keep in mind, though, that even if you get rid of the TM move, that Pokemon still can't use any more of them. HMs do not count for this Challenge.
*For example, let's say you taught your Flareon Shadow Ball. It would now be unable to be taught Fire Blast.

Last edited:
Celever, I'll give you some challenges that will encourage creative healing methods...
Rule challenge: You must pay 3x the amount for all items. (Buy 3 items and discard 2... thanks Stellar)
Rule challenge: Pokemon Centers are only free once per city; after that you must pay (buy and toss items worth) 200 Pokedollars.
Event challenge: You may not use healing items in-battle in the Pokemon League, and may only use 10 total outside of battle.

Jimera0, Event Challenges.
1) You may only use Physical, non-SE attacks to defeat Byron.
2) You must catch Giratina... in a regular Pokeball. Have fun.

Last edited:
Jimera0, during the fights in the valley windworks, you cant heal your pokemon unless they hit red hp (change that to inbattle only if you prefer)

and i might come up with a 2nd, not stopping anyone else from giving one thou

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jimera0 you requested so here is my challenge to you: in the double battle with your rival vs Jupiter and Mars, you must kill your rival's Pokemon then solo the opponents. Using spread moves is acceptable.

Bard of Rage, here's a Rule Challenge for you.

"When it's fire vs. ice... Fire. Always. Wins."

You may not use any non-Fire-type moves against any Ice-type Pokemon (including dual-types).

I accept your challenge. Come on, guys let's get some more posts in this thread! It's really awesome and I don't want to see it die.

Bard of Rage, here's your remaining two challenges

EVENT 1: You must kill Zekrom X times without healing between before actually attempting to capturing him. X shall be equal to the number of Legendaries you still have around that have not been defeated and are available pre-E4 (So, worst case scenario you have to beat Zekrom 4 times before finally trying to catch him)

EVENT 2: Before fighting Alder, you must successfully defeat Morimoto AND Cynthia without healing inbetween. Order is up to you

I am looking for a soul silver challenge,or event I am looking for 1 challenge and as many events as you can come up with.:toast:
RULES::mad:
1. keeping in mind that i already beat the first four gyms up to the intersecion between magoty and olivine city.
2. I will not do anything involving releasing pokemon.
3. I love me some repels a hole lots so if your making me do something involving them plwease dont make me not be able to use them(unless you are evil, then it is fine)
4. if its to beat the league in a certain number of days, i restarted my soulsilver and i beat the league in 5 30 minute days so yeah i wouldnt do an easy one like that :yawn:
5.make it fun!make it hard! make it good! :good motto:

I am looking for a soul silver challenge,or event I am looking for 1 challenge and as many events as you can come up with.:toast:
RULES::mad:
1. keeping in mind that i already beat the first four gyms up to the intersecion between magoty and olivine city.
2. I will not do anything involving releasing pokemon.
3. I love me some repels a hole lots so if your making me do something involving them plwease dont make me not be able to use them(unless you are evil, then it is fine)
4. if its to beat the league in a certain number of days, i restarted my soulsilver and i beat the league in 5 30 minute days so yeah i wouldnt do an easy one like that :yawn:
5.make it fun!make it hard! make it good! :good motto:
Event challenge: Solo Lance in the E4 with your starter while only using STAB moves.

done exept i dont know what stab means :mad:why isnt my cubone slapping them words?
its okay i will look it up and then tell you when im done poneing himEDIT
oh STAB means using a move thats the same type as the pokemon using the move,darn i chose totodile, at least its pretty good with ONE water type moves.
this is odd but my crocanaws movepool is crunch(dark), bite(dark again), ice fang(ice) and water gun(water, what its only lv.30)it likes to use its teeth on things

Last edited:
I am looking for a soul silver challenge,or event I am looking for 1 challenge and as many events as you can come up with.
For another Event Challenge, how about not entering any Pokemon Centers for the duration of the game that Neo Team Rocket has control over the Radio Tower? You can use a Pokemon Center between defeating Pryce and getting back to Goldenrod, though.

Also, a Rule Challenge: Due to a mysterious shortage of the chemicals required for Repels, all of the Repels, Super Repels, and Max Repels are automatically five times more expensive than they were at the beginning of the game. (So basically for every 5 repel-type items you buy you have to throw away 4.)
Also, I've been waiting a good month or so for a final medium-difficulty event challenge for my Colosseum Gauntlet...

done exept i dont know what stab means :mad:why isnt my cubone slapping them words?
its okay i will look it up and then tell you when im done poneing himEDIT
oh STAB means using a move thats the same type as the pokemon using the move,darn i chose totodile, at least its pretty good with ONE water type moves.
this is odd but my crocanaws movepool is crunch(dark), bite(dark again), ice fang(ice) and water gun(water, what its only lv.30)it likes to use its teeth on things

It's only for Lance in the E4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)