Gen 6 np: XY Ubers Gengarite Suspect Test - In The Shadows [READ POST #71]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot wait until Mega Gengar is outta here. Ubers is going to take a massive leap in the right direction when this problem is outta here.

By the way, since Mega Gengar can only exist with Gengarite, banning Gengarite is the exact same as banning Mega Gengar. You cannot have Mega Gengar without Gengarite.

Mega Gengar makes holes in opponents teams and ruins the metagame because of this. It's reasonable bulk amazing speed and combination of Destiny bond and shadow tag allows it to reliably get a kill on practically everything in the tier. Not to mention its astounding Special Attack stat allows it to nuke incoming checks with shadow balls. It is threatening and makes ubers an unfun tier for many.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kinda been johning this thread in terms of making posts but there were a lot of things about this post that irked me.

I'm not sure I have much to say that hasn't been said already. A lot of the argument I've prepared is similar to other posters', and a lot of the Ubers players that we generally consider to be established and respected have already made their viewpoints quite clear, largely leaving various players from lower tiers who (I assume) have literally never played Ubers before this suspect to represent both sides of the ban/anti-ban debate. I'd like to echo the general sentiment that this suspect should never have started with Gengarite, as it implies that Gengarite is more uncompetetive than any other Shadow Tag Pokemon (is it actually possible for one thing to be more uncompetetive than another?). I already think that calling Mega Gengar "uncompetetive", "imbalanced", or whatever buzzword posters are hooked on nowadays is an absurd notion, and the fact that the suspect started with Gengarite with no option to ban Gothitelle makes me incredibly mad.
Okay there's not much to discuss here since I don't necessarily disagree that a Shadow Tag test should have come first, but this is how we're doing it.

I feel that a lot of posters, particularly the aforementioned ones that hail from lower tiers, fail to differentiate between the state of brokenness in ubers and the state of ban-worthiness. One of the things a lot of us seem to forget is that brokenness is not criteria for a ban in ubers; otherwise, we would have banned Darkrai last generation, or the various Mewtwo forms this generation. Things are banned from ubers solely because of an uncompetetive factor, and Mega Gengar does not fit the fundamental definition of uncompetetive because it does not create statistically unfavorable odds for the opposition as they attempt to deal with it. Indeed, in most cases, all it comes down to are a few 50/50s the turn after Gengar's mega evolution. This is in stark contrast to previous subjects of bans in ubers such as Swagger and the wallbreaking OHKO moves, which undeniably created statistically favorable odds for the user of said imbalanced "strategy" whilst taking "skill" out of the opposition's hands as they attempted to deal with it. Any user with sense will agree that Mega Gengar is hilariously broken, which is certainly criteria for its S-Rank status, but not cause for a ban.
You're making the same mistake that other people are making that the few turns in which Mega Gengar is involved do not influence the match that much. Not going to link or explain it again but please see the SPL games Dice linked in his first post, the turns in which Mega Gengar gets to do things definitely influence and often decide the match. And if you wanna argue 50/50's, I'd like to point out that 50/50's are not skill:

Harsha said:
Let me define a 50/50. In a 50/50 scenario, one side will emerge victorious, while one side will lose the turn. Both sides have the option to choose their move. Whether they choose correctly or incorrectly is up to chance. There is an equal chance of winning and losing the turn for both sides. A 50/50 is, for all intents and purposes, a coin flip.

I hate seeing people spout "outplay the coin flip" bullshit. You cannot outplay a coin flip. In a true coin flip scenario, you have an equal chance of winning the turn as you have of losing the turn. Everyone emulating Haunter's custom title needs to realize that he was quoting somebody as a joke. I have confirmed this with him.

Now, that said, one side may have more to gain from winning a coin flip than the other. Somebody will certainly quote me and tell me that my example is irrelevant, but I will draw a comparison regardless. Consider the example of a real-life bet riding on the outcome of a coin flip. Should one person lose, he loses 50 dollars. Should he win, he receives 100 dollars worth of merchandise. The other person wins 50 dollars if he wins the coin flip, but loses 100 if he loses. Granted, this is a dumb situation, but just because the stakes are different for both sides does not change the fact of the matter: this is a coin flip. Anybody who claims otherwise is simply dense.
"Coming down to a few 50/50s" is basically telling us to outplay the coinflip. I know this post is from an OU suspect thread, but since we're arguing competitiveness and not brokennness, this is perfectly relevant.

A more developed argument I've seen in PS!'s ubers chatroom and in this thread is that Mega Gengar has the ability to trap borderline anything it wants and then pave the way for something else to sweep, but there is a lot more strategy to this than some posters seem to realize. Mega Gengar needs a turn of mega evolution to trap anything, at which point the opponent can switch in a check to it. I'm trying to avoid mentioning Gothitelle since this is not a general STAG suspect, but it must be noted that Gengar's obligatory turn of mega evolution is one of the main things that separates it from its uncompetetive cousin Gothitelle, which can simply waltz in on a support Arceus lacking Punishment or a physical STAB and eliminate it. Because Gengar needs this turn of mega evolution to trap anything, it is not toxic enough to warrant a ban.
Everyone on the anti-ban side keeps saying it takes "strategy" to use Mega Gengar. What is this magical strategy you speak of?

And what exactly checks Mega Gengar? Checking something means you can switch in on certain moves and stop it from doing its job. What are you gonna do? Switch in a Scarfer? Switch in a Yveltal that can still die if Gengar DBonds on the Sucker Punch? Gengar switches back out and then when it comes back in you can't switch your Pokemon out. These Pokemon you described are not checks because they cannot stop Gengar from doing its job. Yeah, you can argue Mega Gengar has to come back in, but that's not impossible as some people make it out to be...it's not like you have to hard switch Gengar into Palkia's Spacial Rend every time. You can double switch (worst case scenario), use U-turn/VSwitch (these mons tend to work well with Gengar anyway), bring it in on a sac or revenge kill, or just bring it in on a resisted hit from a wall that it can easily trap. Or, you know, take advantage of the fact Mega Gengar has 170 SAtk and 130 Speed. Or heck, if your team needs a Gengar set that can wreck HO, use Protect to guarantee that free Mega Evolution against EKiller, Darkrai, Landorus, etc. This brings me to my next point:

Now, the main issue a lot of posters have with Mega Gengar is that it has the ability to trap theoretically any check and eliminate it, a line of thought that ignores the omnipresent Yveltal as well as two relevant scarfers in Zekrom and Kyogre and a handful of tanky Pokemon like Shed Shell Blissey, but I'll address those soon enough. Some people have the idea that this trapping factor coupled with Mega Gengar's versatility warrants a ban. It doesn't. A lot of users overemphasize the prevalence of random coverage moves such as Will-o-Wisp, Reflect Type and Icy Wind, which in reality are hardly used outside of gimmicky tour settings... as an active and relevant ubers player, I've never even seen some of the random moves posters bring up in this thread in serious matches. Said users will cite these niche moves as hallmarks of Gengar's versatility when in reality they provide Gengar with far less versatility in terms of what it can eliminate in any given match. The Mega Gengar user is forced to make choices that will allow them to beat some checks at the cost of losing to others. For instance, the Gengar user can run a specialized move such as Hidden Power Fire over, say, Focus Blast, meaning that they can defeat Specially Defensive Mega Scizor in exchange for getting counter-trapped by another Pursuit user in Tyranitar as well as missing all the other perks of Focus Blast. The Mega Gengar user can run a Reflect Type set and have an easier time against most Pursuit Pokemon and a handful of stallier Pokemon at the cost of being fairly useless versus offensive archetypes (For what it's worth, I have a showcased RMT that features Reflect Type Mega Gengar in a "tour setting" importable and standard Mega Gengar in a "ladder setting" importable because Reflect Type is too matchup-reliant to be useful in any random casual match). While the Mega Gengar user can pick and choose what Pokemon they want to eliminate with their set, said set is a far less catch-all answer to the metagame than some think, and though the Gengar beats some checks it will always fall to others.
Going to ignore the parts where you toot your own horn and focus on your core argument.

Here's the thing about those "random and bizarre" coverage moves - they are perfectly valid options if they benefit your team. Gengar doesn't need to trap everything - it is a customizable Pokemon that can that trap whatever your team needs it to beat. Icy Wind is perfectly valid if you want to be able to Mega Evolve against Deoxys-S and to OHKO Landorus-T and Gliscor. You even made an RMT with Reflect Type/WoW Gengar, can't really argue that set is gimmicky or bad now can you? There is a very successful team that uses Thunder Gengar. The problem here is that Gengar retains a lot of general utility no matter what moves it runs because it can still use DBond and/or Taunt to trap and kill the things its attacks don't cover. Reflect Type is probably the most specialized set but even that isn't a huge deal since it can still beat Pursuit trappers.

See, this is one of the huge reasons Mega Gengar and by extension Shadow Tag and XY is so matchup based. Your ability to "beat" Gengar depends pretty much entirely on what set its running. This isn't something you can predict from team preview either. I made a big post about this already that focused on Pursuit (which is the only way to maybe "check" Gengar by preventing it from doing its job), but actually beating Gengar i.e. stopping it from doing its job doesn't depend on skill as much as it depends on Gengar's set. Mega Gengar and by extension Shadow Tag either decides games in the teambuilder or forces you to make coinflip plays to prevent it from getting in on something it can trap. Neither of these involve skill deciding the game or having an actual, meaningful choice in the matter (hence uncompetitiveness), now does it? You can look at SPL games played by "active and relevant" Ubers players if you need proof of that.

And the only checks Mega Gengar does abuse especially well anyway are Pursuit Pokemon; there are still plenty of checks that Gengar struggles to touch without incredibly bizarre coverage like Thunder. There are checks that outspeed it by means of a choice scarf (Kyogre, Zekrom), priority (Yveltal, etc.), natural bulk (Shed Shell Blissey, Specially Defensive Kyogre, bulky Ho-oh, etc.) as well as ways to pressure it so it can't safely mega evolve (such as with a team with several strong and fast Pokemon), a common aspect of hyper offense that aids it in checking Mega Gengar.
Already said why these aren't checks. And if Pursuit is the one way of potentially getting rid of Gengar without doing its job, and its the thing Gengar can work around with the most success...how is that not a problem?

I don't really want to response to the last sentence because, quite frankly, it's stupid. Hyper Offense isn't the only team style (and HO that uses Sticky Web or Scolipede DOES give Gengar chances to wreak plenty of havoc), and unless you're running 6 Pokemon faster than something with 110-130 Speed (if you are your team sucks and I shouldn't have to explain why) you're not shutting Gengar out completely, period. Protect is also a thing if you want a Gengar that fares extremely well vs the omnipresent EKiller HO teams since it takes away the one edge HO does have in dealing with Gar which is reducing opportunities to Mega Evolve.

I'll be largely uninterested in any response to this post and am uninterested in any other argument in this suspect thread; any pro-ban argument that isn't tackled by the points I have covered is largely steeped in unnecessary and dull semantics, which I'm hardly interested in pursuing. I'm not going to drive up my postcount by arguing in circles with anyone that opposes me unless it turns out that I missed something in my arguments. The purpose behind this post was simply to voice my stance on Gengarite.
Not trying to be rude, but I will be frank: your arguments are flawed, your tone is dismissive, and you show a grave misunderstanding of how one actually "checks" Gengar. It is not good for either side of this discussion that you dismiss the other arguments as being steeped in "unnecessary and dull semantics" because it indicates that you either don't know how to properly respond to the points made or just didn't read the thread. Statements like "git gud" or "dumb semantics" without reasoning backing them up just make the anti-ban arguments appear weaker because you're relying on cop-out statements rather than actually debating the points made.

Also I want to respond quickly to one other thing:

With that being said, I don't think Shadow Tag is broken either. While at one point I believed it was, after having the ability allowed in Ubers for the past 4 generations, you have no excuse but to adjust to it. Too many people that are pro-Gengarite ban will shift their ideology into now focusing strictly on a Shadow Tag ban, despite NEVER complaining about it before, just for the sake of removing Mega Gengar from the tier.
Whether or not STAG was allowed in the previous generations is irrelevant. Whether or not people never complained about it before is irrelevant. Things change. XY Ubers is a completely different metagame with Taggers that were either buffed through metagame shifts (Goth, Wobb) or are new and extremely potent (MGar), and as such it should be treated as its own entity. A lot of the people who want to see a STAG test happen say so because of the underlying philosophical concerns of what needs to be tested or complaints about other Shadow Tag users such as Gothitelle. I haven't seen a single person post in this thread (yet) saying they are willing to ban Shadow Tag as a whole just to get Mega Gengar out of the tier. That's all I'll say about it since I don't want to go off on a tangent.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I haven't seen a single person post in this thread (yet) saying they are willing to ban Shadow Tag as a whole just to get Mega Gengar out of the tier. That's all I'll say about it since I don't want to go off on a tangent.
But I have seen several people say lets ban Mega-Gengar so we can get a STag suspect test. And also in their posts, some of them not all, say that Mega-Gengar itself is not uncompetative. Once again I think banning something that you do not believe to be uncompetative just so you can get another test on something else is really stupid, and I hope that the paragraphs are actually read so that way it isnt lets ban M-Gengar to get a STag suspect. And people will actually be voting based upon whether or not they believe Mega-Gengar to be uncompetative.

We are deciding how we want to handle this, and yes, we will be reading the paragraphs. -Fireburn

Last edited:
To clear a few things up.

Re: Don't ban a mon -
I think this would be a legitimate argument that banning a mon from Ubers could potentially be against the current Ubers philosophy, except that it's been clearly stated that it actually isn't. Ibojangles, the former tier leader, made a disclaimer about it during the clause suspect test era:
Now, before you slam that back button at the fear that we’re going to gut your favorite metagame, I want to offer you some words of encouragement. No Pokemon will ever be banned from Ubers (unless it makes the game uncompetitive) and we will not even be considering that here.
If that single source and its context isn't satisfying enough, Jibaku recently made a post on the subject in the IS Shadow Tag thread. (the one that started this suspect test) Although he might not have been an official Ubers tier leader, Jibaku has been largely responsible for the formation of the current Ubers philosophy and has had a significant hand in the decisions regarding it.

In a similar vein, I think calling Ubers a banlist or a tier in the context of this thread is bullshit. Ubers is only those things for OU, what we are talking about here is Ubers as a metagame. Calling it one of the previous two things (itt) is the same kind of stupidity behind comments like "So how's Ubers with Aegislash banned?"

Re: Can't talk about Shadow Tag -
I saw some post earlier here where somebody kept hesitating on talking about Shadow Tag out of fear of going off topic. Don't worry, you aren't. Obviously, the only thing that can possibly render Mega Gengar uncompetitive is the fact it has the ability Shadow Tag. If that part of him was ever removed from this discussion, there would be no point in ever having one. The off topic things you want to avoid are talking about Gothitelle or other Taggers. Passing mentions aren't an issue, the rule exists simple to avoid page long discussions on how much a joke Punishment Arceus is or something like that. You guys will just have to keep it at Pursuit.

Re: Suspecting Gar and not Tag as a whole -
There's a logic behind this. To understand it, you have to be aware of the historical requirements for a ban in Ubers. For something to be banned from Ubers, there needs to be a reason and a need for it. The reason bit is talking about the whole philosophy of uncompetitive (or choice in games since that's what the buzzword is really talking about). However, being uncompetitive in theory isn't enough for Ubers. There needs to be the "need" to ban the element because it's actually fucking up the metagame. The best way to illustrate this is BW2 evasion. Yes, philosophically, Evasion took choice out of the player's hands and is clearly uncompetitive. However, at the time of the suspect clause testing, Evasion had 0 impact on the metagame because there as no effective way to actually abuse it and show that uncompetitiveness in practice. This is all in contrast to a metagame like OU where you don't need the element to be impacting the metagame. There might not be an actual need to ban something like Evasion but it contradicts the philosophy of OU and that alone makes it banworthy.

To bring it back to Gengar, before this suspect test everybody thought the other Shadow Taggers were gimmicks. Gothitelle, which is all the rage now, was previously found in C rank on the viability thread and there was talk of not even giving it an analysis. At the time the decision to suspect Gengar was made, it seemed only Gengar created any sort of need to ban Shadow Tag and so, to reduce the number of bans in Ubers, was put up on the chopping block on its own first. We are still suspecting Shadow Tag here, just in regards to the (previously thought to be) only manifestation of its uncompetitiveness.

Re: Ban Gar cause I want to ban Tag -
Since this has been a particularly large issue of late, we are going to make it public that a change in the suspect test process was decided. (some time ago fwiw) If you think Mega Gengar is not uncompetitive but that Shadow Tag as a whole might be then fear not, we are going to suspect test Shadow Tag regardless of the results of this test.

I personally don't think the turn it takes to mega evolve has dampered Gengar's abillity to abuse Shadow Tag enough to make that claim as shown by its success in SPL and the continued success it has. I think if you are agreeing that Mega Gengar impacts the meta enough to deserve somethign like S rank in the viability thread and you also believe that Shadow Tag is an uncompetitive element then claiming that one turn to mega evolve makes Gengar competitive is contradictory to your premises and faulty logic.

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
What I've noticed in the some of the previous tour matches i have played is that gothitelle is more broken than mgengar. Gothitelle just needs to come in at the right time, after it sets up, it can sweep whole teams if there is no dark type mon present in the opposing team, thanks to trick room. I don't understand why you guys are saying that "ban gengarite", where actually shadow tag is the real problem, and if shadow tag gets banned, gengar and gothitelle will automatically get banned.

Incorrect. All that would be banned is Gengarite. You can still use Gengar without his Mega stone. Mega Gengar cannot exist without Gengar. They're the same pokemon.
Technically Mega Gengar is a Pokemon of it's own. Because it has it's quite different of it's original counterpart. Like if you ban Chansey, but Blissey remains for whatever reason. Comparing evolutions is probaly not the best point as Mega Evos are separated from Evos or Formes. But it still states that if they ban the Gengarite, they're banning Mega Gengar, if they ban Shadow Tag, they ban him as well. And that if they ban it as a Pokemon, it's just the same result.

If this were OU, I'd ban it in a heartbeat, but because this is already a banlist tier not based on usage, banning Gengarite would be a "double-ban" from OU. This would be like if Alakazite were banned from BL.

What I've noticed in the some of the previous tour matches i have played is that gothitelle is more broken than mgengar. Gothitelle just needs to come in at the right time, after it sets up, it can sweep whole teams if there is no dark type mon present in the opposing team, thanks to trick room. I don't understand why you guys are saying that "ban gengarite", where actually shadow tag is the real problem, and if shadow tag gets banned, gengar and gothitelle will automatically get banned.
Just wanna point out Gothitelle and Gengar won't be banned by a Shadow Tag clause. Gengarite would be banned, but regular Gengar and non-Shadow Tag Gothitelle (similar to non-Moody Smeargle) will still be usable.

Technically Mega Gengar is a Pokemon of it's own. Because it has it's quite different of it's original counterpart. Like if you ban Chansey, but Blissey remains for whatever reason. Comparing evolutions is probaly not the best point as Mega Evos are separated from Evos or Formes. But it still states that if they ban the Gengarite, they're banning Mega Gengar, if they ban Shadow Tag, they ban him as well. And that if they ban it as a Pokemon, it's just the same result.
It's more like say, banning Relic Song from Meloetta. You can still use Meloetta, you just can't change it to its Pirouette Forme. Pirouette Meloetta cannot possibly exist without Meloetta and cannot exist outside of combat, therefore it is NOT a separate pokemon. Same goes for Gengar and Mega Gengar. Gengar will not be banned, it will still be usable, but Mega Gengar won't be usable because Gengarite, the item, would be banned.

Re: Ban Gar cause I want to ban Tag -
Since this has been a particularly large issue of late, we are going to make it public that a change in the suspect test process was decided. (some time ago fwiw) If you think Mega Gengar is not uncompetitive but that Shadow Tag as a whole might be then fear not, we are going to suspect test Shadow Tag regardless of the results of this test.

I personally don't think the turn it takes to mega evolve has dampered Gengar's abillity to abuse Shadow Tag enough to make that claim as shown by its success in SPL and the continued success it has. I think if you are agreeing that Mega Gengar impacts the meta enough to deserve somethign like S rank in the viability thread and you also believe that Shadow Tag is an uncompetitive element then claiming that one turn to mega evolve makes Gengar competitive is contradictory to your premises and faulty logic.
That's good to know, but I think the camp of "Mega Gengar isn't uncomptitive but Shadow Tag is" doesn't actually exist. I mean, the people who do argue that are probably just arguing it cause they find Shadow Tag annoying and don't want to have to deal with it rather than actually thinking it's detrimental to the metagame...ie, not putting very much thought into their stance. Since Mega Gengar has Shadow Tag, if Shadow Tag is uncompetitive, by extension, Mega Gengar has to be. Now, there are logical reasons to believe Mega Gengar on its own is uncompetitive while Shadow Tag isn't; namely, stats and movepool in addition to Shadow Tag, while pokemon with lesser stats or movepools like Wobbuffet and Gothitelle aren't uncompetitive even though they have Shadow Tag. That's a position that is logical and can be taken. But the "Mega Gengar isn't uncomptitive but Shadow Tag is" isn't logical and shouldn't be a stance taken by anyone. Mega Gengar has Shadow Tag. That cannot be disputed. So that stance is illogical and anyone making that point shouldn't really be posting in the first place. Now, if they want to argue that both Mega Gengar and Shadow Tag aren't uncompetitive, then they can argue that point.

So, to recap for everyone in general:

-Mega Gengar is uncompetitive and Shadow Tag is uncomptitive
  • This is a logical opinion that can be successfully argued.
-Mega Gengar is uncompetitive but Shadow Tag isn't
-Mega Gengar isn't uncompetitive but Shadow Tag is
  • This makes no sense and shouldn't be an opinion anyone thinking logically would have
-Mega Gengar isn't uncompetitive and neither is Shadow Tag

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
-Mega Gengar isn't uncompetitive but Shadow Tag is
  • This makes no sense and shouldn't be an opinion anyone thinking logically would have
I dont think you understand the argument which people who have taken this stance have presented. There are some key differences that as a user of STag that dont make Gengar uncompetative. The biggest of which is the turn that it takes to mega evolve is huge and shouldnt be written off. The arguments for why and such are stated above in mine and others posts so I wont rehash. Pretty much people are saying that STag as a whole is uncompetative, but as a user of STag Mega-Gengar is not. (Of course all of these people realize that Mega-Gengar gets STag so instead of saying they arent thinking logically read their posts next time)

I dont think you understand the argument which people who have taken this stance have presented. There are some key differences that as a user of STag that dont make Gengar uncompetative. The biggest of which is the turn that it takes to mega evolve is huge and shouldnt be written off. The arguments for why and such are stated above in mine and others posts so I wont rehash. Pretty much people are saying that STag as a whole is uncompetative, but as a user of STag Mega-Gengar is not. (Of course all of these people realize that Mega-Gengar gets STag so instead of saying they arent thinking logically read their posts next time)
If the ability as a whole is uncompetitive, that means that every single user of the ability is uncompetitive, regardless of their stats, movepools or other such outside circumstances. While Moody Bidoof might not be anywhere near as dangerous as Moody Smeargle is, and Bidoof certainly wouldn't cause issues otherwise, Moody as an ability is uncompetitive, and therefore Moody Bidoof is uncompetitive.

Ares

If the ability as a whole is uncompetitive, that means that every single user of the ability is uncompetitive, regardless of their stats, movepools or other such outside circumstances. While Moody Bidoof might not be anywhere near as dangerous as Moody Smeargle is, and Bidoof certainly wouldn't cause issues otherwise, Moody as an ability is uncompetitive, and therefore Moody Bidoof is uncompetitive.
Nah your logic is faulty, individual mons can use an ability with much greater success than another mon. So as a whole the ability is uncompetative but as a user of the move that mon might not be able to utilize said ability to the point where it is deemed uncompetative. For instance would you say that Gothorita the pre-evo of Gothitelle is uncompetative in the Ubers tier? No well i certainly hope you would say no, because it does not have something to back up the ability, whether its stats or the fact that it takes a turn to mega-evolve or something else. Just because as a whole an ability is uncompetative doesnt mean that individual users are uncompetative.

Just because as a whole an ability is uncompetative doesnt mean that individual users are uncompetative.
Actually, yes it does.

What you're arguing for is that the ability is NOT uncompetitive, and that outside factors (the pokemon using it in question) is what can push it over the line. That is very different from saying the ability is uncompetitive but a user is not.

You're arguing this point:
-Mega Gengar is uncompetitive but Shadow Tag isn't

If A is uncompetitive, and A=C, then C is uncompetitive. Same goes for if A=D, D is uncompetitive.
If A is not uncompetitive, but A+B is, and C=A+B, but D=/=A+B, E=/=A+B, etc. etc., then C is uncompetitive, not A, B, D, E, etc. etc.

That's the difference. Replace Shadow Tag (or Moody) with A, movepool/stats with B, and then various pokemon with that ability in C (or D, E, F, however many variables you want to use).

Ares

Actually, yes it does.

What you're arguing for is that the ability is NOT uncompetitive, and that outside factors (the pokemon using it in question) is what can push it over the line. That is very different from saying the ability is uncompetitive but a user is not.

If A is uncompetitive, and A=C, then C is uncompetitive. Same goes for if A=D, D is uncompetitive.
If A is not uncompetitive, but A+B is, and C=A+B, but D=/=A+B, E=/=A+B, etc. etc., then C is uncompetitive, not A, B, D, E, etc. etc.

That's the difference. Replace Shadow Tag (or Moody) with A, movepool/stats with B, and then various pokemon with that ability in C (or D, E, F, however many variables you want to use).
Each pokemon is different and has different factors that make it viable or not. When multiple users of an ability make it so it is deemed uncompetative and ban worthy than it is not worth a complex ban to say A can be allowed but B cant. And what I'm arguing is that the ability is uncompetative and that outside factors (the pokemon using it in question) is what can push it under the line.

This test is based upon Mega-Gengar so when looking at it you shouldnt be looking at someone's opinion on STag as a whole. I believe that the turn it takes Mega-Gengar to evolve is what combined with some other factors pushes it under the line and does not make it uncompetative. And its a unique situation where it takes a full turn of staying in to be able to get that ability, and that turn is much harder to pull off without giving something up than people are implying.

Would the removal of Team Preview help this at all? I know that's was implemented by Showdown, but part of the reason STag is so dangerous (avoiding uncompetitive and the like) is because you know at the start of the match what threatens your team the most, and allows you to subsequently remove it. Without Team Preview, STag is still a powerful tool, but relies more on the player's skill in scouting the opponent's team to determine threats, rather than just looking at the screen before the match has even started.

Would the removal of Team Preview help this at all? I know that's was implemented by Showdown, but part of the reason STag is so dangerous (avoiding uncompetitive and the like) is because you know at the start of the match what threatens your team the most, and allows you to subsequently remove it. Without Team Preview, STag is still a powerful tool, but relies more on the player's skill in scouting the opponent's team to determine threats, rather than just looking at the screen before the match has even started.
Team Preview actually helps make Shadow Tag MORE manageable. Because you see it coming and you know which pokemon on your team you need to be careful with. If you didn't have the preview, you wouldn't know, and would get your pokemon easily trapped and killed because you didn't see it coming. Once it's in, it's too late, you're trapped. Or in the case of Mega Gengar, you do have a chance to escape, but that just lets it Mega Evolve for free so it can then properly trap you next time.

Each pokemon is different and has different factors that make it viable or not. When multiple users of an ability make it so it is deemed uncompetative and ban worthy than it is not worth a complex ban to say A can be allowed but B cant. And what I'm arguing is that the ability is uncompetative and that outside factors (the pokemon using it in question) is what can push it under the line.
Moody has only 4 fully evolved users (that's one more fully evolved user than Shadow Tag). Of them, only Smeargle is really an issue since it can learn any move and can therefore pass the boosts on to something more threatening, as well as being able to better protect itself to accumulate more boosts. Why then, was Moody banned and not Smeargle? Because even though the other users of Moody are garbage, Moody itself is still uncompetitive.

It's the same deal with Shadow Tag. If the ability is uncompetitive, it doesn't matter how good or bad the pokemon with it are.

Compare that to Speed Boost. Blaziken got banned from OU because of Speed Boost, but the other Speed Boosters are still running around in lower tiers. Why? Because Speed Boost wasn't the problem. The problem there was Blaziken's stats and movepools combined with Speed Boost pushed Blaziken over the edge. Not Blaziken pushing Speed Boost over the edge.

Pokemon cannot cause abilities to become broken (for lower tiers) or uncompetitive (for Ubers). The abilities are independant of the pokemon. If the ability is a problem, the ability will be dealt with, like what happened with Moody.

Scubasage, the mon itself does matter for Ubers. It doesn't change whether or not Shadow Tag (or whatever else) is uncompetitive but it does change whether or not Shadow Tag actually affects the meta enough for us to care that it is uncompetitive. (see bw2 evasion)

That said, most of the folks who claimed the one turn to mega evolve makes Mega Gengar competitive but still want to ban Shadow Tag also often claim that Mega Gengar is a very powerful Pokemon. Because of that, the comparison to something like Gothorita (although, shrang and I looked at calcs for him just this morning and found it had the same special bulk as Gothitelle thanks to eviolite LOL) doesn't work because they've already granted that Mega Gengar is one of the best pokemon in the metagame, yet isn't somehow good enough to make Tag a problem because it has to take a turn to get Tag. ?_? In that case, yeah, scubasage is right in that they are being stupid and contradicting themselves. How is it possible that the one turn to mega evolve doesn't stop the Pokemon from being one of the very best in the metagame yet somehow stops it from abusing Shadow Tag to the point of being a problem? If Gengar was ever seriously used for anything else other than it's mega evolution that might work out but it isn't, lol.

Also, don't talk about team preview. It's off topic and not like it's something we could change, anyways. (I'd normally delete the posts but they got mixed up in some other stuff that shouldn't be deleted so rip)

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Melee Mewtwo was on to something here when researching interesting choices, but unfortunately this discussion never went any further as it was derailed by a ton of irrelevant bullshit. Here is that definition:

According to Sid Meier, a [good] game is a series of interesting choices. In an interesting choice, no single option is clearly better than the other options, the options are not equally attractive, and the player must be able to make an informed choice.

Basically the idea is that any competitive game is best when a clear choice is not present, but at the same time the choices available are not equally attractive. This is what you want in a game, as a game where there is always a clear choice is boring such as Tic Tac Toe or Connect Four (these games can be played perfectly unlike something as complex as chess or Pokemon, however for most people the choice in these games is not clear).

Something strange however, is that even though many games are simplistic enough such that there are single options that are clearly better than others (see above and add in games like Blackjack) these games are still very popular. Under the definition these games when played by informed players are not a series of interesting choices, but they still succeed as games. To try and keep this simple I will use Connect Four as an example as it is very popular and played competitively but is still a game that can be played perfectly.

Connect Four is a game where the first to connect four of their pieces in a line horizontally, vertically, or diagonally is the winner. In this game there are five slots to place a piece which always goes to the bottom, and thus there are millions of ways to legally fill a board. With a perfect player against another player of any skill level, even perfect as well, the game is won on the first turn when a piece is played in the center column. No matter how the second player chooses the first player will always win. However, if you reduce the game to players that are not perfect then the game becomes a series of interesting choices. In the same game with the same mechanics we have scenarios where the game (according to Sid Meier) can be good or bad due to the skill level of the players. For players that are ignorant the game is interesting, for players that are skilled but not perfect the game is interesting, for players that are perfect the game is pointless. Can Shadow Tag turn a game of Pokemon into a scenario where a perfect player will always win, and thus, reduce Pokemon to a game not worth playing?

Pokemon is so complicated that I believe that the game cannot be played perfectly, and thus, there is no such thing as a perfect player in Pokemon. We want the Ubers metagame to remain a series of interesting choices, but do not assume that more interesting choices equals more skill. By definition an interesting choice is one that is not pure skill, otherwise there would be a clear choice. Connect Four is 100% skill based and it is uninteresting to perfect players. Shadow Tag eliminates switching, and thus, eliminates the total number of choices available to a player. I say choices and not interesting choices because if Mega Gengar has trapped something the best option is clearly to switch out, and this is not an interesting choice as this option is clearly better than the others. I need to stress right now that coin flips are not interesting choices based on the Sid Meier's definition. Remember that the options are not equally attractive and thus when dealing with Mega Gengar's Taunt or Destiny Bond shenanigans this is not an interesting choice, nor is it a matter of skill as it is essentially just a coin flip.

When Mega Gengar traps Arceus-Fairy there is no interesting choice with or without Shadow Tag. With Shadow Tag, Mega Gengar's best choice is to Taunt and therefore the best choice for Arceus-Fairy is to attack. Without Shadow Tag the best option is to switch. Either way there is an option that is clearly better than the others and either way there is no interesting choice. The coin flips that Mega Gengar causes due to Shadow Tag make the game more skill-less and eliminate interesting choices because a coin flip is not interesting. Although Mega Gengar causes prediction coin flips so do many other Pokemon. There is still a massive gap between interesting choices and skill, to reiterate an interesting choice by definition is not pure skill. Something is uncompetitive if it reduces skill, but nobody wants to play a game that always has a clear option every turn; the lack of interesting choices also makes a game uncompetitive.

In the Ubers metagame we want to promote interesting choices while reducing chance. This is paradoxical because interesting choices are again not pure skill. Coin flips are possibly the most destructive elements to the metagame as they are not only luck based, but are also not interesting choices. Swagger clause, OHKO clause, and what should be evasion clause are all demonstrations of this. This matter of Shadow Tag in regards to Mega Gengar is much more complicated than most people realize. One of the bigger issues with Shadow Tag on Mega Gengar seems to be that it causes coin flips, more than would occur if it didn't have Shadow Tag. The issue however is that coin flips brought on by prediction are something that can be caused by basically everything, not just Shadow Tag. In a situation where a player is denied from switching by Shadow Tag there is no loss of an interesting choice since if Mega Gengar came in to trap that something then obviously it wants to be able to switch and obviously there is a clear best choice. The elimination of the best choice is by definition not the elimination of an interesting choice, but is it still uncompetitive?

Taking away a player's best choice seems uncompetitive on the surface but it happens in skill based games all the time. Possibly the most brutal thing that can happen in chess is when you are forked. For people that don't know chess I will explain. In a fork one player forces a choice that they don't want to make on the other player. This is very similar to Shadow Tag, in fact, Shadow Tag is not as bad since you still have four options (they may all suck but it's better than one). A fork occurs when a piece, usually a Knight or a Bishop, simultaneously checks the King and threatens a piece. When checked a player has no option but to stop the check that turn, and since forks usually occur with Knights this means that the forked player only has one option: to move the King. The next turn the player that caused the fork takes the other piece that was threatened and was impossible to save. This piece can often be crucial to the forked player's defense, sound familiar. Chess is not about to ban forks because they eliminate the best choice, and although there is obviously a difference between chess and Pokemon the comparison is still sound.

I would appreciate it if people who don't play Ubers could shut up for the rest of this suspect as I think some excellent discussion could possibly sway my opinion and others on Mega Gengar. This seems to be an issue of metagame philosophy and game theory rather than your impressions after laddering for an hour.

Real quick, I think skill is a commonly misused term. I think when most people talk about "skill" they are referring to their ability to make the right choices when there's no possible certainty of it even being a right choice. (making the right calls in those interesting choice scenarios) What's more, these are interesting choice scenarios because the potential choices of the other play. As a result, there's a feeling of domination or "outplaying" your opponent that aren't present in the scenarios where this isn't any interesting choice. I think this is what players really want when they talk about promoting the skill of a game.

I also think that Pokemon can be played perfectly, or quite nearly so. What makes the game so interesting and beautiful is the presence of the switching mechanic that creates those interactive experiences and offers interesting choices.

Additionally, I don't think a popular game is a good game. I'd argue that any game that pits you against an opponent but only presents interesting choices assuming both players make errors is actually flawed in design. By putting two players together you lead them to believe that the game they are playing will involve a sort of social interaction and by proclaiming one a winner you encourage them to strive for improvement. However, as the players do improve, the number of interesting choices decreases and so does that social interaction.

Lastly, Shadow Tag doesn't remove their best choice, it removes their choice completely. The fork comparison is actually what normally happens when you switch out of a bad matchup. Damage to your team is unavoidable (short of hax) and now it is up to you to determine who takes the damage and to what extent the team suffers overall. I think it's more comparable to the checkmate situation, although Shadow Tag doesn't always directly end the game. (tbh, it's hard to make comparisons to chess because all the interesting choices that exist are as a result of it being an unsolved game, imo)

Basically, to tie all these little points together I think that interesting choices are what we as a community have always been in pursuit of. I don't think it is paradoxical to wanting to remove chance because the chance we have actively removed has negatively impacted those interesting choice scenarios. See my discussion with wreckdra on how previous clauses affected switching. I think Shadow Tag shatters this by suspending the victim's ability to make any sort of interesting choice as well as the user in that they now have a clear cut, best choice to make. (except for when they are cutting things close and they have to do one of those 50/50 choices)

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The fork comparison is actually what normally happens when you switch out of a bad matchup. Damage to your team is unavoidable (short of hax) and now it is up to you to determine who takes the damage and to what extent the team suffers overall. I think it's more comparable to the checkmate situation, although Shadow Tag doesn't always directly end the game. (tbh, it's hard to make comparisons to chess because all the interesting choices that exist are as a result of it being an unsolved game, imo)
A fork is not comparable to switching out of a bad matchup. In a fork, the forked player looses that piece regardless of what they do. When you switch out of a bad matchup your opponent gets a free turn, but you don't loose the mon that comes in for the rest of the game. This is why teams have checks. You also cannot choose what piece you loose in a fork as you can choose what Pokemon gets hit when you switch out of a bad matchup. A fork is like Shadow Tag, not like switching out of a bad matchup, your best choice is impossible to make. No matter what you are going to loose your support Arceus / Rook and you can't stop it.

I don't understand the comparison of Shadow Tag to checkmate as it makes little sense. In a checkmate you cannot make any move because the game is over, with Shadow Tag only your best move can be taken. Shadow Tag is not generation one Wrap, and even if it was the game does not end when Shadow Tag is used as when checkmate occurs. Since checkmate is avoidable at the start of the game, comparing Shadow Tag to it is like saying Shadow Tag is also avoidable at the start of a battle, which I don't think you meant.

Again, like I said it's really hard to make a good comparison between the two games because they have such different mechanics. I compared switching to a fork because in both cases damage is imminent, you just have to make the decision on who takes the damage where. I compared Tag to Checkmate because a Checkmate is the only situation where you really can't do anything but let your opponent do whatever they fuck they want. Except that in Chess it's with your King which immediately causes you to lose.

Regardless, I don't think comparing Chess to Mons is terribly relevant.

Hakumen

Hot grill
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So, I laddered a bit both before and during the suspect and although I'll probably not be able to get reqs due to time, I'm gonna post my thoughts :

I really think that Gengarite should get banned. Shadow Tag is really an uncompetitive ability. Switching is without a doubt the most important thing in the game, allowing to escape a threat, by changing the Pokemon to another one that isn't weak to that threat. However, Shadow Tag prevents you from switching out. This is incredibly uncompetitive because as stated before, switching is the most important part of the game. Preventing switches has a huge impact on the game as it means that your answer(s) to a threat is trapped and is thus unable to deal with that threat. Then, this threat can simply sweep. This strategy isn't based on skill but rather on luck, as it's extremly based on match-up, a low skill one can win against a high skill one. While it still requires skill(you need to identify the key threat to eliminate and switch into the Shadow Tag user at the right time), it's still uncompetitive because it involves more team match up than actual skill. I find that Shadow Tag is especially broken in a tier like Ubers because Pokemon are far more dangerous and have much less counters than in other tiers, making Shadow Tag more uncompetitive.

Some people belive that Gengar isn't the reason Shadow Tag should get banned,but it's ban-worthy imo. It's an excellent trapper that gets every tool it needs. It's incredibly fast, tying with Mewtwo, has the same Special Attak as Kyurem-White(although the lack of item makes it less powerful), has a great typing that kinda makes it up for its lacking bulk and an incredible movepool. Offensively, it really has all it needs, 2 great STABs in Sludge Wave and Shadow Ball, Focus Blast for coverage, Thunder for hitting harder Oh-Ho and Kyogre and HP Fire for Scizor. It also has the combination of Taunt and Destiny Bond, that guarantees it a kill on non-scarf Pokemon when well-used. Thanks to its attributes, Gengar can trap a lot of threats. It even adapted to the metagame(i.e to deal with Scizor, it now uses HP Fire)

So, yes I believe that Gengarite should get banned.

Arcueid

nah i'd win nah i'd win nah i'd win
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
Forget my earlier post regarding mgar.

Mega Gengar: Mega Gengar is an extremely based good Pokemon which can force 1v1s and take out at least one Pokemon of the opposing team. It makes teambuilding cancerous such as Xern (sidenote: Xern is an another topic) and It can revenge kill due to its ability, Shadow Tag.
Of course banning shadow tag is unfair as it destroys usage of Pokemon such as Goth and Wobbuffet. Psure Shadow Tag would get suspected if Gengarite would not get banned (it is banned in UU). Mega Gengar's good STABs make it quite powerful and strong. Mega Gengar can destroy walls such as Chansey and Blissey with its extremely good speed stat with taunt. Mega Gengar can road kill set up sweepers with destiny bond. Mega Gengar can switch on to Pokemon such as Blissey/Chansey and Substitute on them which ensures that mega Gengar can get another possible KO. Mega Gengar involves risk play and turns an ubers battle into a 1v1 and is the usual winner. Mega Gengar with Shadow Tag is absolutely ridiculous and Gengarite should be banned.
Ban Gengarite.

Re: Don't ban a mon -
I think this would be a legitimate argument that banning a mon from Ubers could potentially be against the current Ubers philosophy, except that it's been clearly stated that it actually isn't. Ibojangles, the former tier leader, made a disclaimer about it during the clause suspect test era:

If that single source and its context isn't satisfying enough, Jibaku recently made a post on the subject in the IS Shadow Tag thread. (the one that started this suspect test) Although he might not have been an official Ubers tier leader, Jibaku has been largely responsible for the formation of the current Ubers philosophy and has had a significant hand in the decisions regarding it.
While that may be so HugenDugen's original post indicates how this test on Gengarite is different. To quote the OP, "What makes this different from any of the previous clauses, like the Moody Clause or the Swagger Clause, is that we would not just be banning an ability or a move, but removing a Pokemon form entirely. With that in mind, I consider this the most important decision in Ubers tiering history and, as a result, don't feel comfortable making it alone."

Another thing to look at is in the discussion thread that led to the Moody clause: "(A potential issue with this proposal is that it could end up banning Pokemon from Ubers in future generations, but I guess we'll rethink this once we get there)" -- which clearly indicates that there is no precedent for this kind of decision.

I'd view the entire thing as, if we want to ban a Pokemon, we can, but the question is: do we want to ban a Pokemon? This is what the suspect test is for - to gauge if the community does want to ban a Pokemon. For me at least, the entire idea of banning a Pokemon from the Ubers tier is unpalatable and therefore I will vote against the Gengarite ban.

On another note Fireburn you say you're going to be reading the paragraphs but how are you going to judge them? From your posts you are clearly in favour of a ban, which probably implies you have counterarguments ready for every argument against a ban, which raises the possibility that you may simply reject those votes as silly or misinformed or whatever. Do you have some kind of guideline for the paragraphs and what you're looking for?

The Ubers mods will be judging the paragraphs. That means Hugendugen, Fireburn, Tmon, myself, and Jibaku if he wants to. That means two anti ban (hugen + tmon) as well as two pro ban (Fireburn and myself) and whatever the fuck Jibaku is, so no need to worry about bias.

Anyways, my point was that it is by no means against the current Ubers philosophy to be banning a Pokemon while allowing uncompetitive elements to poison the metagame very much is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)