Other Counter That Pokemon! (Final Battle Friday @ 12 PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we have 4 nominations; Mew, Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard X and Gastrodon.
Mew -> This thing trolls Team 2 so hard it's not even funny. It comes in on Infernape, Zapdos and Infernape and can pretty much do whatever it wants (Defog, Softboiled, etc) since their attacks don't even come close to KO-ing it. Using Toxic on it is also counterproductive as this leaves Team 2's Zapdos (aka their only answer to Talonflame) on a timer.

Mega Gyarados-> For a supposed "easy win button", having to click Stone Edge most of the time really sucks. Using this also means Team 1 is starting the game fully banking on Gyara to pull off a sweep since without a hazard remover, Team 1 cannot utilize Talonflame and Kyurem-B. It also needs Stealth Rock to be on the field to sweep Zapdos and Infernape.

Mega Charizard X-> This thing is pretty good as it can sweep and provide support for its team but I think it might struggle to do both. Lack of Roost means you are easily worn down, especially when you are 4x weak to Stealth Rock before Mega Evolving. This also hinders its ability to sweep especially when you consider Team 2 has 2 powerful priority users.

Gastrodon -> Not sure about this one since I rarely use Gastrodon. While it looks good, but unless Scald burns Mega Scizor, Mega Scizor can set up and kill it when its HP gets down to about half (+2 28+ Atk Mega Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Gastrodon: 215-253 (50.4 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). This task is not too difficult considering Close Combat from Infernape and EQ from Lando do more than half. Gastro may also find itself worn down over the match when it fails to find a chance to Recover.

Iight I'm closing the voting early since there hasn't been much action since i started the voting and there is a clear winner:

LightningLuxray's Mew: OVER 9000

So the final member of Team 1's squad is Mew!

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Soft-Boiled
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

We have now completed the teambuilding process for the project. All we need now is for Halcyon. and Nog to agree on a time to have their match(es). Here are how the teams are looking.

Team 1 (Halcyon.)

Landorus @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def
Trait: Iron Barbs
Careful Nature
-Power Whip
-Thunder Wave
-Leech Seed
-Knock Off

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SDef
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Night Shade

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Soft-Boiled
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

Team 2 (Nog)

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Extrasensory
U-turn

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 112 Def / 100 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 240 Atk / 16 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Explosion

Sorry for bumping this but when is the match being held (or is it held already?)?
Also, for the benefit of those who live in a different time zone (and thus cannot watch the match), I suggest someone to either save the battle logs or write a war story of the battle. (At the same time, this can be used as an opportunity to re-popularize war stories)

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, first things first, I want to apologize to everyone, first and foremost G-Von for not being here and doing what I said I would do. I took a brief hiatus from Pokemon and this site, and unfortunately did so at probably the worst possible time for this thread, so for that I apologize.

Anyway, I promised I would fite nog and fite nog I shall. Also Nog, this thread started before Deo was banned and it was an integral part of the team so no there won't be any picking of other things. Get over it :toast:.

I'll talk with nog and schedule a battle in the next few days and let everyone know! See you then.

my team is much worse than yours tbqh, but that aside am I allowed to swap any sets or EVs or I play with the team as is?

Ok, first things first, I want to apologize to everyone, first and foremost G-Von for not being here and doing what I said I would do. I took a brief hiatus from Pokemon and this site, and unfortunately did so at probably the worst possible time for this thread, so for that I apologize.

Anyway, I promised I would fite nog and fite nog I shall. Also Nog, this thread started before Deo was banned and it was an integral part of the team so no there won't be any picking of other things. Get over it :toast:.

I'll talk with nog and schedule a battle in the next few days and let everyone know! See you then.
it's all good don't sweat it. people get busy and don't have time for certain things.
my team is much worse than yours tbqh, but that aside am I allowed to swap any sets or EVs or I play with the team as is?
as quickbobhero said, the teams are set in stone and cannot be altered as far as movesets and EV's, but you can lead with whoever you want. I would also suggest having calcs pre-made. Team 1 always has a slight advantage over Team 2 due to them having the last pick and depending on how this match (or best of 3, however you guys decide to play it) goes, may be grounds for making a change as far as how teams can be picked a more balanced way.
Why does Kyurem-Black have a Quiet Nature?
Click me!

It should be best of three battles. Anything can happen in one battle and some timely hax could cause the better team to lose. Also this in the OP:
Once the two teams have been created, I will elect two battlers to have the teams combat each other in a best of three series to see which team has truly countered the other!

wahhhh i can't make it today :[ I have work starting at 12 so can people please remember to save the replays? that would be dandy

So what happened in the battles? I don't see any replays or discussion on it so it seems like it didnt even happen.

So what happened in the battles? I don't see any replays or discussion on it so it seems like it didnt even happen.
It "happened"... Nog kept lagging halfway through the battles so two of them didn't get finished. Nog won the only game they were able to finish though, so I guess he's the winner?

Last edited:
Was really cool to watch the battles that did happen. Obviously a lot depends on double switches and even opening lead match up, and one wrong move from either side can potentially cost the game. If Team 2 maintains offensive pressure on the Mew & Deo-D core then Infernape can really put in a lot of work. But if the wrong thing gets paralyzed on Team 2 then Mew becomes almost impossible to break...

It seemed at first that Team 2 was at a heavy disadvantage but Nog played hella offensively and took that one win. Very cool stuff.

Iight so its been almost two weeks and I was hoping for a date and time for when the battles were going to finish up (a replay for the first match would have been nice, but it's fine) but there hasn't been any activity in the thread since the first battle. I know we finished making the teams but the project isn't over until the teams finish their best-of-3 series. Idk what the schedules are for Halcyon. and Nog but I would hope that they can finish the series sometime soon, especially since the weekend is coming up.

I don't mean to come off as harsh but I just wanna see the outcome of the teams we made since not only have I been involved with this project since the beginning (and preceding projects), but Halcyon. did entrust me with running it during the time he could not. If/When the battle(s) do go down, please save the replays since if people who have been looking forward to the battles are not able to make it, then at least they can see how it did go down in a sped up manner.

My fault, school has been killer and I haven't had much time. This was game 1.
Yea I'm going through school too so I understand and thanks for the replay :] I can't believe you didn't even need to bring Greninja (I'm assuming frog) out at all. You played great even though the odds are always heavily stacked against Team 2 in this type of project. Let's see if Halcyon. will adjust his ways of playing based on how the first match went.

So, it is now the almost the end of September. Are the 2nd and 3rd games finished? I didn't see any discussion or activity at all for the past 2 weeks. (Sorry if this post comes across as not understanding, it was just a question because I am curious about the resolution of this project.)

So, it is now the almost the end of September. Are the 2nd and 3rd games finished? I didn't see any discussion or activity at all for the past 2 weeks. (Sorry if this post comes across as not understanding, it was just a question because I am curious about the resolution of this project.)
Believe me, I would like to know the same thing. I get the busyness of school and I don't want to sound like a broken record but I would like for the project to finish between the two agreed upon battlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)