Other Good Cores (V2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not on Garchomp.
Well, to be fair, Rhyperior has Ice Punch, which does more to Garchomp than Diancie's Moonblast. Also, Diancie cannot afford to stay in on Garchomp, while Rhyperior can.

Anyway, Diancie does have some advantages over Rhyperior. Moonblast is important, as it allows it to hit Dark-types and Fighting-types, who it can usually wall, super effectively. It also is neutral to fighting and immune to dragon, thanks to its great Fairy-typing. It also has much more special bulk, which is helpful for taking neutral or even super effective attacks. It also it has a few other moves, like Calm Mine, Reflect and Light Screen, Trick Room, and Explosion to differentiate it.

252+ SpA Diancie Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 326-386 (91 - 107.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Moonblast doesn't count either, unless you're investing in max special attack. I don't think that's the current trend. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
It can still hit Dragons hard.

It can still hit Dragons hard.
But that wasn't exactly the point he was trying to make. Rhyperior is just as threatening to most dragons as Diancie is...

I tend to agree with Rhyperior > Diancie. Diamond Storm is cool I guess but Rhyperior is sooo much more of a threat and can pretty much do the exact same job.

But that wasn't exactly the point he was trying to make. Rhyperior is just as threatening to most dragons as Diancie is...

I tend to agree with Rhyperior > Diancie. Diamond Storm is cool I guess but Rhyperior is sooo much more of a threat and can pretty much do the exact same job.
Not really. Diamond Storm gets you a +1 so you can live that +1 EQ Dragons try to do.

Not really. Diamond Storm gets you a +1 so you can live that +1 EQ Dragons try to do.
As I said, Diamond Storm is cool sometimes - but it's more or less the only defining thing it has over Rhyperior if you ask me, and even then it isn't exactly 'reliable'. Rhyperior is the bigger threat.

alright time for another core

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Frustration
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: / 252 SpA / 32 SDef / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

so this is a core I have been experimenting with as of late, and I must say, it is great. Basically, this core eliminates Mega Pinsir's counters with astonishing efficiency, allowing for a late game sweep. Basically, eliminate checks such as Talonflame and Thundurus with Raikou, eliminate counters such as Skarmory and Rotom-W with Gothitelle, and sweep with Mega Pinsir. This core also has synergy in that it can VoltTurn into Gothitelle with Raikou, and Gothitelle eliminates some of Raikou's counters such as Ferrothorn, Chansey, and Mega Venusaur. Thunderbolt IS an option over HP Fire on Gothitelle if you want to get rid of Zapdos, but Psyshock kills it off quickly enough. HP Fire is actually the best option for my team regardless, but that isn't the point. So some good teammates for this core include things that can regain momentum Gothitelle has siphoned, even though Raikou mitigates this to an extent. Landorus-T is a great option in particular, as it can provide rocks and has Intimidate. Therefore, a source of hazard removal is a good idea, and Starmie is a good option in particular as it has great offensive presence and in general synergizes well with them, and it also keeps rocks on the field with its coverage, which is probably the best idea for this team as Gothitelle kills momentum. Seriously, this core is gr8.

Mix

mahmood soldi
is a Past WCoP Champion

Gardevoir (M) @ Gardevoirite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SAtk / 212 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Mega-Gardevoir is one of the bests stallbreaker of this metagame, i use 212 Spd for outspeed max speed Kyurem-B ans similar, Will-O-Wisp is for Bisharp and Mega-Scizor, the other moves are classics.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Magnezone is a good mon, maybe the best for the trapping, Volt Switch is for the momentum, Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are the STABs, HP Fire is for Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Mega-Scizor.

WHY THIS CORE FUNCTION ?

The core function because Mega-Gardevoir is a very good stallbreaker, but she suffers S.Def Skarmory, Mega-Scizor and Ferrothorn, that can kill with Gyro Ball; For this I choose Magnezone alongside with Mega-Gardevoir, it can trap and kills all of this pokèmon, then leave the field open to the sweep of Mega Gardevoir.

GOOD MEMBERS.

A good member for this core can be the physical sweeper like Terrakion, Bisharp or Mixed Thundurus-I, for the setter Lando-T can be good, and Latwins for defog.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Close Combat
- Substitute

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Reflect Type
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry

So this is a core I've been playing around with and has proved to be very solid. The premise behind the core is more of having general balance covering a variety of threats and in some cases luring others out such as Gyarados and Quagsire for Freeze-Dry Mamo, Ferro and Regular Ttar for Reflect Type Starmie, and Tflame for M-Heracross with Sub. Outside of the lures Mamo provides a solid check to things like Genie Offense and just hits really hard with LO, Starmie as a reliable spinner, and M-Hera as a fantastic wallbreaker and scary behind a sub. The cool thing about the core is the versatility with it where you can change movesets and spreads to cater to your needs, such as using offensive spinner Starmie instead or Swords Dance over Substitute on M-Heracross for easier wallbreaking.

The core by itself has problems with set up sweepers such as Ddance Char X and M-Gyarados, M-Medicham, M-Gardevoir, things such as those. Some partners that would work well with this core to help fix these issues include things such as Raikou, Heatran, Clefable, Thundurus, the Lati twins, Garchomp, generally just anything with solid synergy.

Just a S/F/D core I'm beginning to test. It's more on the defensive side - so far the 3 'mons appear to have really good synergy. If anyone has any quick suggestions as to teammates that would further synergise with the core please don't hesitate to share your opinions, as I'm struggling to expand it into a fully functional team!

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Coil

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Defog
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

The overriding aim of this core is to adequately support Zygarde by passively pressuring the enemy team. Stealth Rocks tax the switches that these three Pokemon's defensive coverage will be forcing, Thunder Wave stops most sweepers dead in their tracks, as well as throwing potential hax into the equation, and Whirlwind opens up possible setup opportunity windows for Zygarde, who wants nothing more than to wiggle his way onto the scene and Coil up in the enemy's face, whilst continuing to rack up passive damage through SR phasing. It's important to note that this core isn't supposed to look immediately threatening, and has a much more support-oriented focus.

Skarmory and Zygarde cover eachother's weaknesses extremely well on their own, but both bear a weakness to Kyurem-B. PhysDef Clefable mitigates this weakness perfectly, whilst also being able to flexibly switch into a plethora of neutral attacks, whether special or physical. I'm not 100% sold on the set / EV spread and wonder if Clefable's boosting sets would benefit the core more. So far, however, in my short time testing this core, SR and T-Wave are proving to be good choices for Clef and set up my win conditions with ease.

Zygarde's overall bulk is ridiculous, and this is even moreso the case after a Coil or two. Banded Azu's Play Rough doesn't even come close to KOing with just a single boost to Def, and, although he isn't used a great deal anymore, AV Conk's Ice Punch isn't even a guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery... And that's a 4x S/E move coming off a base 140 Atk... Once Zygarde is behind a sub, which isn't a difficult position for him to manoeuvre into with his typing and his love of attracting status, you'd be surprised at just how many neutral attacks fail to even break it (especially after a boost or two). EQ hits nice and hard and Dragon Tail deters sweepers that try and setup beside you. Overall a really fun set to use, and able to work wonders alongside Skarm and Clefable.

Last edited:
spdef dragonite >>>>>...>>> zygarde
Even when taking into account Coil? Surely the two perform slightly different roles. Happy to give DNite a go instead but Zygarde's bulk, typing and access to coil is something I've wanted to feature in a team for a long time!

Last edited:
just an idea, im pretty sure that a defensive core of tyranitar/mega tyranitar, cresselia and alomomola would be a good core.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sandstream
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spdef
Impish nature
- Rock slide/Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire punch
- Dragon dance

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spdef
IVs: 0 Attk
Bold nature
- Psychic
- Ice beam
- Thunder wave
- Moonlight

Alomomola @ Rocky helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Attk
Impish nature
- Waterfall
- Knock off/Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Tyranitar covers cresselias weakness to dark and ghost while cresselia covers tyranitars ground and fighting weaknesses. Alomomola helps to cover tyranitars weakness to steel. this core can be weak to scizor and pinsir, which is why tyranitar has fire punch(for scizor) and cresselia has T-wave to cripple them.
tyranitars sandstorm isnt much of a hindrance to either cresselia or alomomola due to cresselias moonlight, and alomomolas wish and regenerator.

cresselia helps to beat pokemon that tyranitar cant, like garchomp, who gets 2-shotted by ice beam. fighting types like conkelldur are walled even if they carry knock off as it can simply be healed by moonlight and are killed off by psychic. set up sweepers like mega pinsir are crippled by t-wave.
gliscor is cleanly 2-shotted by ice beam.
every dragon bar hydreigon and zard x is 2-shotted by ice beam.

Alomomola discourages scizor from constantly uturning due to rocky helmet. alomomola is a source of recovery for tyranitar who cannot otherwise heal on its own. alomomola doesnt need to heal itself a lot due to regenerator. knock off is utility for removing items but toxic can be used for chip damage, which works excellently in combination with tyranitars sandstorm.

Tyranitar alone checks both variants of mega charizard. tyranitar can get a free dragon dance off of mega charizard X who can only do 45% max to mega tyranitar with its strongest move, outrage.
mega tyranitar checks charizard y due to the typing advantage and sandstorm having priority due to tyranitar being slower, but must watch out for focus blast, which usually wont kill if zard y is timid, but has a 68% chance to OHKO, if it is modest.
fire punch is for scizor and ferrethorn. the Evs in this set make it so t-tar isnt 2HKOd by mega scizors bullet punch.
the EVs in the set allow tyranitar to live one close combat from mega pinsir, jolly and adamant sets and OHKO with rock slide/stone edge.
tyranitar can comfortably take out most dragons bar garchomp due to their common secondary flying type.

tyranitars sandstorm isnt much of a hindrance to either cresselia or alomomola due to cresselias moonlight, and alomomolas wish and regenerator.
Sandstorm cuts moonlight regeneration in half, which basically makes it terrible.

Also, this core is pretty weak to Mega-Gyarados with either Taunt or Substitute, so some sort of bulky grass could be a good idea to supplement it. Cresselia and Alomomola literally can't touch Mega-Gyarados, and Tyranitar loses most of the time, since Mega-Gyarados outspeeds and even when unboosted 2HKOs Mega-Tyranitar with any prior damage (Stealth Rock, Spikes, or even just being tapped by some other pokemon previously in the match).

Sandstorm cuts moonlight regeneration in half, which basically makes it terrible.

Also, this core is pretty weak to Mega-Gyarados with either Taunt or Substitute, so some sort of bulky grass could be a good idea to supplement it. Cresselia and Alomomola literally can't touch Mega-Gyarados, and Tyranitar loses most of the time, since Mega-Gyarados outspeeds and even when unboosted 2HKOs Mega-Tyranitar with any prior damage (Stealth Rock, Spikes, or even just being tapped by some other pokemon previously in the match).
tangrowth could fill that role. takes only 32% maximum from ice fang, 48% at the max if gyarados is at +1 and can easily break gyarados's sub with giga drain even if it is running 252 HP. it also has regenerator.

I definitely agree here. With Waterfall, Alomomola is 100% setup fodder for SD sweepers not weak to water, while with Scald it scares them out of setting up.
I third this! It's important to note, however, that Alomomola is extremely vulnerable to being set up on by Sub users. Just something to be wary of.

My core is similar to one listed above, but Magnezone is so good. <3

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spe
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power
- Flash Cannon

Heracross @ Heracronite
Jolly Nature
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Heracross especially hates birdspam and Skarmory, so Magnezone is used to handle those things very nicely! Once Magnezone has eliminated those roadblocks, there's not much that can stop its onslaught of powerful attacks. Stall tends to have a hard time after Hera is at +2, and offense struggles if Sticky Web is present since Multi-hit moves nullify Sash. These two also have decent type synergy (despite sharing a Fire weakness)-- Hera resists Ground and Fighting for Magnezone, and it returns the favor by resisting Psychic, Fairy, and Flying!

Jolly > Adamant on Heracross always. 216 EVs lets it out-speed +Base 70s, as well as (grounded) +Base 130s with Sticky Web support.
Also, I prefer Swords Dance > Sub on Hera since Sticky Web helps it out enough against offense, and I like the extra power to further threaten stall.

The threats to this core are prevalent Fire types, such as both Mega Charizards and Heatran -- especially ScarfTran -- which can out-speed and KO both members of this core.

I've already alluded to it a bunch, but Sticky Web support (via Shuckle) is invaluable for Heracross. It makes a slew of faster (grounded) threats suddenly vulnerable to its destructive onslaught-- especially after SD. Bisharp is also a solid teammate for its ability to more easily break Fairy types (compared to Scarf Zone) + discourage Defog use. Latias is another good choice for the ability to completely replenish Heracross' health + status with Healing Wish, since not many teams can deal with Mega Heracross two times in one match. She also provides a switch to Fire types that this core lacks.

Would a core of trapping Magnezone and Mega-Pinsir work well? In theory, Mag traps and kills the steel types Mega-Pinsir doesn't like, such as Skarmory. After that, Mega Pinsir is free to sweep through a team.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Would a core of trapping Magnezone and Mega-Pinsir work well? In theory, Mag traps and kills the steel types Mega-Pinsir doesn't like, such as Skarmory. After that, Mega Pinsir is free to sweep through a team.
Yeah. Its one of the more common cores used on Pinsir teams atm. It's really fucking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)