XY NU Slaking Is Scary

Hello everyone! I am Amanda and this is my first RMT on Smogon and I'm kind of new but have played a bit on showdown to know what to do. So this team I decided I wanted to use retaliate Slaking and weakness policy Carracosta. The end result probably isn't the best but Slaking stays to be my favorite Pokemon. So without further ado, here are the mons.

Team at a glance

Team in depth:

Not So Slim Shady (Slaking) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Retaliate
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

So here is the star of the show. First of all on a switch in for revenge when this thing retaliates your opponent is forced to fodder something, or switch the a ghost/4x resist. If not, whatever takes the hit is going down. 140 base power with stab, band, and Slaking's uber material attack stat. So thats basically the reason for retaliate. Sucker punch is for set up sweepers who outspeed and can KO. Brick break and earthquake are coverage moves. The reason for choice band instead of scarf is because Slaking's speed is pretty high for being in NU, and the power is too great.

Omastar Ferroseed

Rowley (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Omastar is usually the lead and does a good job at it. I try to set up hazards and do as much damage as possible. Scald is great to get burns and earth powwer is coverage for anything else. I mainly suicide to get hazards if it is necessary, but sometimes I will save him if he pressures the other team. Not much else to say about Omastar

Noctowl Typhlosion

my neck hurts (Typhlosion) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Extrasensory

When I chose Noctowl I needed a special wall to take grass types that threaten the rest of my team. I use whirlwind if I am able to get a lot of hazards up with Omastar, or if I have a bad match up/predict a switch. Toxic is to put damage on anything thats bulky and I combine it with whirlwind to have alot of the opponents mons poisoned. Air slash is just an attack when I can do damage or taunt.

Emo Larry (Carracosta) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet

This is a typical Carracosta but I put weakness policy on it for extra power. I chose for it to be a special attack instead of a physical one because I need ice beam but I want to fit aqua jet in there for backup if something outspeeds me at +2 or if they have priority. What I usually do is safely switch on a grass type if there is no rocks up and shell smash as I get put to sturdy which activates my weakness policy and I sweep from there.

Wicked Witch (Mismagius) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt

Just a typical specs mismagius passing through XD. But its basically my late game sweeper along with Carracosta. I trick any walls or whatever wont enjoy a trick. But it basically is just a normal specs mismagius which I put energy ball on for anything that wont enjoy taking the grass hit.

Sandslash

I have a soul (Sandslash) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

I use Sandshrew instead of Sandslah because I like eviolite and the bulk that it gives. I use sand veil because sand rush isn't that necessary. Rapid spin is mainly for Carracosta and earthquake is stab to do damage after I spun rocks. I use toxic to take down walls just like Noctowl. Not much else to say about Sandshrew.

So thats basically the team! If you want to use the team it will be here: http://pastebin.com/b9rmi6MK

If you would like to battle me I'm always in Anime and Manga when I'm online. Thank you all for looking at my RMT!

-Amanda

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hey PrettyKittyAmanda

I am going to suggest going back to Sandslash over Sandshrew as while it 'might' be a bit bulkier, Sandslash's better offensive presence is in my opinion better for your team:

Sandslash @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

EV spread is to outspeed 0 Speed Seismitoad. SD Sandslash is nice to help it break through Physically Defensive Spiritomb and other Ghost-types. Lum Berry also works if you are worried about the Ghost-types burning you, so the item is up to you. If you ever change Omastar to something else, you can easily put Stealth Rock over Swords Danxe.

I also think Noctowl doesn't fit on your team and only makes you lose momentum. To fix this, I am going to suggest you to try out Typhlosion over it:

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Extrasensory

Specs Typhlosion also pairs well with Shell Smash Carracosta as it deals with Grass-types like Noctowl, but also smash everything with powerful Spec Eruption or Fire Blast. Speaking of Carracosta, I am going to suggest you to try a different set:

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

This is Carracosta's best set. My issue with your special set is that it is done better by Omastar, which you are already using to set up entry hazards. Aqua Jet is pretty much the main niche for Carracosta too. If you want a Special Attacking Shell Smash user, you should try out Shell Smash Omastar or Gorebyss :].

Finally, since you use Omastar as your lead most of the time, you should try a more offensive EV spread:

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Lets Omastar outspeed as much stuff as possible, which will help you get as much entry hazards as possible too. Not much else to say as this change is quite straighforward.

Oh and if I were you I would try stuff over Slaking as I strongly think that Slaking isn't good for your team due to Truant giving your opponent a free turn here and there, and this can easily become dangerous if your opponents have set up sweepers lol. Sure it's strong, but a lot of other Pokemon might fit better than Slaking. /slaking rant :[

Hope I helped!

Hey dude, interesting team you have here. I'm going to go ahead and agree with the changes that Soulgazer suggested especially the Sandslash over Sandshrew change, while you lose bulk in theory Knock Off is common in the tier and the added offensive presence it provides as well would greatly benefit your team, I also would like you to use Stealth Rock over Swords Dance if you choose to go with this next suggestion.

I don't really think Omastar is adding a whole lot to your team, you already have one Rock/Water type and are incredibly weak to common Electric types in the tier even with a Ground type. It's for this reason that I suggest you replace Omastar with Ferroseed, Ferroseed can do a similar hazard setting role to Omastar but also provides key resistances to Electric and Water type attacks as well as multiple other types. You could also use both Stealth Rock and Spikes on Ferroseed but it's generally inferior to the set I'm going to post for you, I think Stealth Rock on Sandslash fits much better.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect / Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Last thing I want to suggest is a Mismagius set change. You said that Mismagius was your late game sweeper but unfortunately a Choice Specs set isn't too great at sweeping. I think Nasty Plot Mismagius would fit your team perfectly, providing you with a better late game sweeper and will also give you something that can taunt potential Defog users in the tier and prevent them from removing your hard earned hazards. You lose the ability to Trick however Taunt is just as good vs most of the walls in the tier and still lets break past almost all of them quite comfortably.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt

I hope I was able to help.

Do exactly what Soulgazer and New Breed mentioned, but this team has one major flaw in the fact that you are using a Slaking. Yes, slaking is strong. However, once you attack, you give the opponent a free turn to literally do what they want, whether it be set up a substitute, swords dance, or even shell smash. This, alongside the fact that you have no revenge killer, is a horrific combination. It essentially means that you allow opponents to set up, and yet do not have the methods of dealing with set up. I especially agree with SG's Sandslash + Costa change, as well as New Breed's Changes.

I realize that you are building around Slaking, so I'll won't change it. However, I would highly reccomend you to run Pivot Liepard over Noctowl. Noctowl doesn't do anything for you and loses tons of momentum, and if I'm being honest is a bad pokemon. Liepard somewhat patches Slaking's flaw, as it can come in immediatly on Slaking's swtich to pull a Priority Encore to somewhat shut down the setup opportunities that Slaking opens. This makes Slaking a lot more usable [even though its still rather difficult and unreliable to use], and the utility is absolutely necessary, or else you will get 6-0'd immediatly after every time Slaking gets a kill.

Minor Changes:
Above changes from New Breed and Soulgazer ^.^
Fucking ninja and sniper smh :[ just cause im asleep doesnt mean you guys can rate

hope this helped!

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Encore
- Thunder Wave / U-Turn / Play Rough

Do exactly what Soulgazer and New Breed mentioned, but this team has one major flaw in the fact that you are using a Slaking. Yes, slaking is strong. However, once you attack, you give the opponent a free turn to literally do what they want, whether it be set up a substitute, swords dance, or even shell smash. This, alongside the fact that you have no revenge killer, is a horrific combination. It essentially means that you allow opponents to set up, and yet do not have the methods of dealing with set up. I especially agree with SG's Sandslash + Costa change, as well as New Breed's Changes.

I realize that you are building around Slaking, so I'll won't change it. However, I would highly reccomend you to run Pivot Liepard over Noctowl. Noctowl doesn't do anything for you and loses tons of momentum, and if I'm being honest is a bad pokemon. Liepard somewhat patches Slaking's flaw, as it can come in immediatly on Slaking's swtich to pull a Priority Encore to somewhat shut down the setup opportunities that Slaking opens. This makes Slaking a lot more usable [even though its still rather difficult and unreliable to use], and the utility is absolutely necessary, or else you will get 6-0'd immediatly after every time Slaking gets a kill.

Minor Changes:
Above changes from New Breed and Soulgazer ^.^
Fucking ninja and sniper smh :[ just cause im asleep doesnt mean you guys can rate

hope this helped!

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Encore
- Thunder Wave / U-Turn / Play Rough
Yes, I do see this, but Slaking is so powerful that on switch in it ohkos and if it doesnt they probably switched. Slaking is also the reason I made this team.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes, I do see this, but Slaking is so powerful that on switch in it ohkos and if it doesnt they probably switched. Slaking is also the reason I made this team.
Brawlfest's point was that after Slaking kills something your opponent has a free turn to do anything they want to you. His liepard suggestion will help alleviate this somewhat, but they can still get a free attack in and OHKO Liepard if it's like Superpower Gatr or whatever. After Slaking uses a move it's forced to switch out, so free set up for a good player.

Brawlfest's point was that after Slaking kills something your opponent has a free turn to do anything they want to you. His liepard suggestion will help alleviate this somewhat, but they can still get a free attack in and OHKO Liepard if it's like Superpower Gatr or whatever. After Slaking uses a move it's forced to switch out, so free set up for a good player.
PrettyKittyAmanda you didn't understand my point, but I think Sage of the 6 made it pretty clear. Your concern of immediate power is completely irrelavant if the turn after any good player can freely bring in a any sweeper from Shell Smash Barbarcle to QD Vivillon and get a free turn to do whatever they want with 0 drawbacks, and your team lacks any way to revenge such. Liepard at the very least encores the opponent into setup to alleviate Slaking's biggest flaw, and offers a powerful priority sucker punch in the case that you were unable to prevent setup from occuring.

Hey dude, interesting team you have here. I'm going to go ahead and agree with the changes that Soulgazer suggested especially the Sandslash over Sandshrew change, while you lose bulk in theory Knock Off is common in the tier and the added offensive presence it provides as well would greatly benefit your team, I also would like you to use Stealth Rock over Swords Dance if you choose to go with this next suggestion.

I don't really think Omastar is adding a whole lot to your team, you already have one Rock/Water type and are incredibly weak to common Electric types in the tier even with a Ground type. It's for this reason that I suggest you replace Omastar with Ferroseed, Ferroseed can do a similar hazard setting role to Omastar but also provides key resistances to Electric and Water type attacks as well as multiple other types. You could also use both Stealth Rock and Spikes on Ferroseed but it's generally inferior to the set I'm going to post for you, I think Stealth Rock on Sandslash fits much better.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect / Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Last thing I want to suggest is a Mismagius set change. You said that Mismagius was your late game sweeper but unfortunately a Choice Specs set isn't too great at sweeping. I think Nasty Plot Mismagius would fit your team perfectly, providing you with a better late game sweeper and will also give you something that can taunt potential Defog users in the tier and prevent them from removing your hard earned hazards. You lose the ability to Trick however Taunt is just as good vs most of the walls in the tier and still lets break past almost all of them quite comfortably.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt

I hope I was able to help.
I really like the ferroseed set and has helped alot! Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)