The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

So, my cousin one day comes up to me, playing my Soul Silver full of shinies, among them Entei amd Venomoth (his favorites BTW). So he starts shooting some random crap about my DS and Game getting a Sparky Virus or something. So I also had a Pokerus Pokémon, and he told me that was the first sign of infection. He told me I'll get a Red Bad Egg (a myth running around the city, about the Egg appearing at Sky Pillar at 12:00 AM that would kill you and rip your guts out and eat them ._. Yeah, I know), and that my DS would explode, so I had to give him all those "contaminated" shinies in order to "purify" them, and had to release the one with Pokerus (iirc a Bidoof from Pearl I traded just to send a Cyndaquil egg). Some years later I stopped being a noob, took his game, and got the Pokémon back, plus a Manaphy and Celebi "just for payback."

When Pokemon XD came out and I played it for the first time I chose Espeon... and released it without knowing what that did.. then I shut off the game and thought it was gone and it was there when I tried later because I didn't save

Smart move...

I decided to try the pokeradar in diamond, and I was pretty bad and it took forever. When I finally ran in to a shiny, I critical-hit the ponyta.
(I threw a fit)

I decided to try the pokeradar in diamond, and I was pretty bad and it took forever. When I finally ran in to a shiny, I critical-hit the ponyta.
(I threw a fit)
Use False Swipe. There are several Pokémon that can learn it (you can buy the TM in Veilstone City), including Kricketune and Sneasel.

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
On a wifi battle, I was using my talonflame for Special Battles, (no items, special battles), So I decided to use Acrobatics and take out Brave Bird. After that, I decided to do Battlespot Singles, forgetting to teach Brave Bird Again. I gave it Choice Band, as it's the set I usually do. I was battling this JPN kid, and at the end, he has his weaken 60%hp (around that) Garchomp, vs my Talonflame. I knew I was going to win, and when I see on my attack sets, Acrobatics. I just got pissed, I was forced to go for Flareblitz. He wasn't scarf, I managed to get a burn on him (HE HAD LUM) and killed me with outrage. If I had Bravebird, I probably would of won.

I had a Mudkip, Lotad, and Tailow, all lvl 11, all at full Hp. I got swept by one lvl 5 Shroomish and hadn't saved.

This was a few weeks ago.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Since all the screw-ups seem to happen with encounters with Shiny Pokemon, I'll tell my tale.
- I once ran away by accident from a shiny Registeel in my Emerald Version :/ I was lucky enough to re-encounter it back like 30 SRs later
- I let a level 30 shiny Electrode explode in my face from the Aqua Hideout. Again, I was lucky enough to re-encounter and threw a Master Ball at that bitch xD
- Caught an Adamant Entei from Admin Dakum with great IVs and reset because I thought Timid was superior
- thought EV training was when you train with an Eevee in your party
- Told my best Pokemon buddy that my Groudon was stronger than his because it was shiny.

Last edited:
This type of language is not acceptable.
Also, not sure if most people from here are retards or I'm too smart, but my first shiny (a Gastly on Leaf Green) didn't got a "deadly glitch" treatment. I looked at it, and though: Holy balls! It's a green Gastly! I love how it looks, let's catch!

I also had a lot of luck on all random shinies I tried to catch, since most of them fell to the power of whatever Pokeball was thrown at them without complaining. Also most of them had derp nicknames (especially Skarmory, I named it El Zorro because of this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorro).

Also I just found a shiny Pidgey on my emulated Leaf Green... And I don't have any Poke Balls ;-; Well fuck you too, RNG

When I was 9 and got Pearl (I was of course still new to Pokemon) and I trained my starter and my starter alone, and a few weeks later I was about to battle Cynthia. My starter was Level 60 and the rest of my Pokemon were in the single digits. However, my starter fainted eventually and after that she swept me so hard.

I swear, that was the worst thing I have done I can think of, but I forget easily, so I'm pretty sure that I've done worse. :P
This was me, back with Gold with my Meganium. I made liberal use of Missingno in Red, so Gold was the first game that I leveled up through 'legitimately', so I was completely unprepared to train a full team; I was ten. I was so proud of myself when I made it to Lt. Surge, though.

The last time I successfully built a radar chain in Platinum, I found a shiny Growlithe on Route 201. It used Roar on the first turn...

More recently, I bred a Froakie, and went for several broods after finding a 31/xx/31/31/31/31 female protean froakie (which is never fun), trying to find a useable shiny. I had hatched over two hundred and fifty eggs, after finding the mother, before realizing that they were all adamant in nature...

So, my cousin one day comes up to me, playing my Soul Silver full of shinies, among them Entei amd Venomoth (his favorites BTW). So he starts shooting some random crap about my DS and Game getting a Sparky Virus or something. So I also had a Pokerus Pokémon, and he told me that was the first sign of infection. He told me I'll get a Red Bad Egg (a myth running around the city, about the Egg appearing at Sky Pillar at 12:00 AM that would kill you and rip your guts out and eat them ._. Yeah, I know), and that my DS would explode, so I had to give him all those "contaminated" shinies in order to "purify" them, and had to release the one with Pokerus (iirc a Bidoof from Pearl I traded just to send a Cyndaquil egg). Some years later I stopped being a noob, took his game, and got the Pokémon back, plus a Manaphy and Celebi "just for payback."
My god that guy is/was a dick.

Also, on the subject of nicknames, in my first run of Ruby I named all my Pokemon as follows: All syllables of the base form's name except the last, which became -o (if male) or -a (if female). This led to some 'amazing' names such as Mawio or Groudo. Also, I kept forgetting to add Rs to some of the names, leading to names like Toko or my starter, Tocho.

Incidentally, this is also the game where I bred Mawile non-stop in order to get one with False Swipe. And then I cleared it with Blaziken and Groudon (both in the 70s), and 4 HM slaves. Fortunately, I wizened up by the time I played FireRed and Emerald. Though this first Ruby run is especially unforgivable since I had played Gold competently prior to all this.

Oh, well, I have a few ones... 99% of them being on emulation playthroughs because of never being able to get an actual console u.u

1) I always play while pressing the fast-forward key. I was leveling my pokémon up to 100 on Silver, OHKOing everything on sight when I find a Rapidash. My Red Gyarados quickly KOes it with Surf, and I stopped pressing fast-forward for an instant... only to see that the flame was of a different colour. Yep, I KOed a shiny just by not bothering to pay attention to it earlier
2) On Emerald, having a Huge Power Azumarill that only knew special moves. Then I wondered why Surf did almost nothing to Phoebe's Dusclops...
3) By looking at Guts's original description in Gen III (That Attack increased "when suffering"), I purposely left Swellow with very low HP for quite a time
4) Not knowing STAB even existed until pointed out in Gen IV
5) Thinking Glalie was Ice/Dark after seeing "It's super effective!" after using a Fighting-type attack on Glacia's. Somehow, I never thought Ice could be weak to Fighting. Likewise with thinking Steel was weak to Water after battling with Jasmine's Steelix. YET AGAIN when thinking Flygon was Dragon/Flying after Earthquake failed to work (Though it was not noticing it had Levitate)
6) Thinking Magic Guard prevented poison damage outside of battle while playing on White. Then I came across the fact poison no longer did that on anything
7) Blaze Black 2's very difficult Challenge Mode. I had a lot of troubles beating Roxie's team (Dat Koffing with Flamethrower >.<) and after reading the guide, stating that Victini's event was available from the start, I caught it hoping it to steamroll Burgh's team. "The foe's Masquerain used Hydro Pump!"
8) Factual facepalm. Found a shiny Spearow, that being my third random shiny ever (The aforementioned Rapidash, and a Zigzagoon), on Emerald. On RANDOMIZED Emerald :(
9, 10) The last one counts twice. Long ago, in my very first Silver playthrough, I got stuck after beating Falkner as the translation was pathetic and I didn't know I had to pick Togepi's egg. Much, much later, about two or three years ago, my brother got a (Completely mute) Game Boy Color from a client in where he used to work, with a few games, Pokémon Silver included, as I really wanted to play Pokémon for real. So I put the Pokémon Silver cartridge and turned on the GBC. After starting a new game, I noticed the text was very strange, and when I saw only five characters on all pokémon's names, I realized it - it was the SAME pathetic translation I got stuck on as a child. Double facepalm

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
In a moment of absent-mindedness, I sent in a Pokemon with Intimidate to revenge-kill Bisharp in a 6v6 Wi-Fi battle. Three bags of heart scales goes ot the person who can correctly guess how much of my team got killed.

Last edited:
In Platinum, I found a shiny Roselia. I was excited, so I used the MASTER BALL on it. I didn't save after catching it or before fighting Giratina, I didn't manage to catch Giratina, so I SR'd. And lost the Roselia. The really stupid thing was, I could have used False Swipe on the Roselia and chucked Ultra Balls at it.

Oh, here's one I did when fighting a friend.
I have a Ferrothorn which has high Special Defense and Defense, but I forgot to give it any item.

I love the Togepi line so when HG/SS came out I hatched the egg and it had Serene Grace so I decided to use it in my game. I gave it a soothe bell to evolve faster. Metronome + Fling..... I was playing the Japanese version of Soul Silver so I didn't even realize it right away. It wasn't until later when I checked my pokemon. I was like "Where'd my soothe bell go?" Then it dawned on me.

I was fighting a pidgeot with my infernape and looked away for a minute as the opponent used roost, I used close.combat and it was super effective. I was confused and thought my game was glitched because it shouldn't have been super effective on a flying/normal type, but soon realized it used roost when i wasn't looking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)