XY OU Dancing Claymore

Introduction
What's poppin Smogon, I'm back again bringing you another team. Since Aegislash was recently banned and I saw a variation of my team posted in the team showcase I figured I would RMT the original squad. I made this back in May/June and wanted to feature a threat that a lot of people would overlook and most of the time didnt expect and that was Swords Dance Aegislash. This was just about what everyone ran before people found out about mixed with Shadow Ball, since then this set pretty much fell out of the metagame and was almost never used. However, my goal was to make a team that utilized this set as effectively as possible.
On to the team! :]

Team Preview

Teambuilding Process

Like I said in the beginning this is what i wanted my team to be based around. I decided on SD Aegi from the very start.

I then decided to pair it with one of my favorite Megas being Mega Gyarados as they can help to weaken each others counters as well as having pretty decent type synergy.

Thundurus, the ultimate support mon on offensive style teams. Also, with the set it was given acting as a lure for Aegi/Gyara.

At the time I started with Deoxys-S as my rock setter, opting for the SR 3 attacks set in order to set up rocks reliably as well as be an offensive threat.

Next, I put Breloom because of the ever so popular sand offense teams at the time, even though i don't have any hazard removers Focus Sash was my choice as it worked as a reliable lead and the rest of the team can pressure rock setters enough until Loomer can come in for free.

For this last slot I had quite a few options but decided on TTar, you'll see later with the set it really does help the rest of the team do what it needs to do.

After a bit of play testing I ended up with Landorus-I as my Stealth Rocks setter as it did the job I needed it to more effectively than Deo-S did.

The Squad

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb

More often than not I lead with this guy. Even though sleep was nerfed this generation incapacitating an opposing Pokemon for a couple of turns is invaluable. Breloom is a great check to Sand Offense style teams and can really hinder opposing offense when played correctly. Although he goes down rather early most of the time he serves his purpose excellently and helps facilitate the team a lot in the early game. EVs are standard.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 200 Atk / 56 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam

Ahh ScarfTar. A really unappreciated threat in the XY Metagame, this was my main check to bird spam and the main revenge killer. The moves are pretty standard although I decided to go with Ice Beam over Pursuit for two reasons 1. I really didn't need a pursuit trapper as Lati's were just set up fodder for Aegislash. 2. I really wanted to try to get surprise ko's on Landorus (I and T) as those are two common mons that check and counter my Aegislash set respectively.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

As I said earlier, Thundurus-I is the ultimate support on offense. The set is quite standard, I decided to use Psychic over Focus Blast because I didn't need it and I wanted to hit Mega Venusaurs hard to help facilitate Mega Gyara/Aegislash sweeps later on. Thunder Wave for obvious reasons to cripple opposing sweepers or Scarfers or just anything faster than the rest of my team like Greninja.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Trait: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Main sweeper of the team and the focal point that I started with. This set is quite 'standard' in terms of EVs and moves, but in terms of usage SD Aegislash isn't common at all. I love the surprise factor of this set because when fighting against Aegislash many people almost auto pilot into something that can tank Shadow Balls. I really think that this set or variations of it could do very well in the Aegislash metagame but it was just overshadowed(hue) by the mix set.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

This originally started as a Deoxys-S but it simply didnt hit hard enough for my liking. One of my favorite Stealth Rock setters is this monster right here. Landorus-I is excellent at forcing switches and giving it a free turn to set up rocks, it also is a great stall breaker and can put a lot of pressure on opposing teams. Everyone knows how it works and yet he still puts in so much work for the rest of the team. Standard EVs.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 64 HP / 248 Atk / 196 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

One of my favorite Megas that was introduced this gen, Mega Gyarados. It's so good at setting up reliably and pressuring teams so much you really can't not like this mon. Mega Gyarados is a great partner with SD Aegislash, and Breloom weakening both their checks and counters quite effectively. The EV spread is intended to outspeed Mega Manectric at +1 and maximizes its bulk while doing so. Intimidate for obvious reasons to allow for easier set up.

Importable
Breloom (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 200 Atk / 56 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Aegislash (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Gyarados (F) @ Gyaradosite
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 64 HP / 248 Atk / 196 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Shoutouts :]
aim - Gave this team to him when i first made it, he used it a lot on ladder and iirc he peaked number one while using this team on showdown. Also, a fren :]
Midnight squad - ur all my fukin frends
- Lord. - praj.pran
So many frens :] - Edgar, Hot N Cold, Soulgazer, Pridy, New Breed, CasedVictory fuck ur gay B, Afro Smash, Key, SnowCristal!, chimpact ,CrashinBoomBang, gr8astard, Laurel, MikeDecIsHere, BLINGAS ♥ , Tokyo Tom, Lord Elyis, Funkasaurus, Mizuhime, bro fist, BKC , PDC, McMeghan, blunder, Wepwn, Unbirthday, FinalFlash, Toxzn, Omfuga216, kokoloko ,CTC, Rewer, yondie, Stone_Cold, -Tsunami-, Zamrock, Valentine, Jirachee, KratosMana
PROBABLY MORE BUT IF I FORGOT TELL ME :]]]

Last edited:
can't really share a suggestion since aegi is banned but did you try iron head > sacred sword ? CMClef has an easy set-up against ttar and is more or less annoying so i'd try this :o

solid team otherwise.

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I always preferred a faster spread, Life Orb over leftovers and a third attacking move (maybe Iron Head for Clefable as boudouche suggested?) over KS when running SD Aegislash, as LO adds a big punch and the speed investment allows it to be less reliant on Shadow Sneak. However your team supports the current set well enough to actually make it work so props to you on that. And any suggestion would not be very useful anyway at this point as Aegi is gone, unless you want to replace it to make this team usable again, which I doubt as Aegislash is the mon you built the team around. Really cool team btw.

Last edited:
can't really share a suggestion since aegi is banned but did you try iron head > sacred sword ? CMClef has an easy set-up against ttar and is more or less annoying so i'd try this :o

solid team otherwise.
Actually yeah I contemplated this many times, however Sacred Sword usually came in handy more often than Iron Head. I guess you could run either but yeah just from experience using it SS is better most of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)