Your first Pokemon game

What was your first Pokemon game?

• Total voters
A) What your first Pokemon game was?
Diamond
B) Is your first game also your favourite game (if not, which one is?)
Nope, I liked Emerald Better.
C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?
I solo ran the game with Empoleon because i didn't know the PC existed :(

A) Pearl.

B) I never try to have a "favorite" game, especially within a series.

(P.S. How do you get the quote to not say "fat" in front of the username?)
C) Like so many others, I mainly trained my starter. I had no concept of a designated "team."
Same here, just with Staraptor (Come on, did you NOT see this coming? Look at my profile pic!) instead of Torterra.

I'm curious to know:

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series?

The purpose of this is mostly for seeing how many players come from each generation, and if there's a certain generation that is especially active on Smogon. From what I can personally tell, most players are either 1st or 4th gens. Quite the gap, so I wanted to get some more accurate statistics. Plus hearing stories about your first game is exciting :D

My first game was Diamond when I was in middle school, chose Piplup for starter, Empoleon and Sinnoh will always be my favourite starter/region. My favourite game would have to be Platinum though, cause for a directors cut thingy, they added A LOT, especially to the story and places you could go, which I loved. Plus that was the game I caught Darkrai and Shaman on for the first time by Action Replaying in the special events. Girantina Origin form and the Distortion World were also just so, so cool.
When I first started playing, I didn't understand that you only needed 1 of each Pokemon. But I had one hell of a Bidoof collection, so not a total loss... More or less...

Pokemon Yellow, I found it at a good price when GameStop was once known as EBGames around my neighborhood long ago. Really great game overall. I really liked the concept since you play the role as Ash and you could get the three Kanto starters. Also, I specifically remember it was possible to catch a Pidgeotto around the Viridian forest under level 18 ( Around level 9 iirc ). The game was really made to reflect Ash's story and I really liked it.
My favorite Pokemon is Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness. I know a lot of people have never had the chance to play this game, but it was literally one of the top games ever made. It was for the Nintendo GameCube and I got it around my birthday. The game is really neat and takes a whole new experience to Pokemon with Shadow Pokemon. The story mode was really great and the graphics were amazing. The music was really 10/10 and one of my favorite Antagonists was in it as well. Mirror B!
Well since I was far to young to understand Pokemon Yellow, the best button was the "A" button. When I created my name it would be, "AAAAAAAAAAA".

Last edited:
A)
First Pokemom game I ever owned was Pokemom Gold and boy did I have a good time on it.

B)
I would have to say it is Pokemon Emerald. Not only does it have both Kyogre and Groudon, for some odd reason I love the graphics on it and I believe that is the Pokemom Game where the pokemon "moves" when it enters the battle.

C)
I wasted the Master Ball on some random weak pokemon that is common in grass because I thought I could get more.

A)
First Pokemom game I ever owned was Pokemom Gold and boy did I have a good time on it.

B)
I would have to say it is Pokemon Emerald. Not only does it have both Kyogre and Groudon, for some odd reason I love the graphics on it and I believe that is the Pokemom Game where the pokemon "moves" when it enters the battle.

C)
I wasted the Master Ball on some random weak pokemon that is common in grass because I thought I could get more.
IIRC, Pokemon sprites start moving in Crystal

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
A) Pearl.

B) I never try to have a "favorite" game, especially within a series.

(P.S. How do you get the quote to not say "fat" in front of the username?)
Same here, just with Staraptor (Come on, did you NOT see this coming? Look at my profile pic!) instead of Torterra.
You Can't. It's an "in joke" that has been around forever. Don't worry about it.

@ the above -> Sprites had limited animations in Crystal first yes. Before that were were all perfectly still. I didn't play a game with animations until Diamond... I never owned Crystal or Emerald. Back when I started, even the move animations were awesome. I still remember Surf/Hydro Pump with the small water fountains and the rain!

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
A) My first game was Crystal (borrowed from a friend for a month, so it still counts even though the first game I bought was White), so total Johto product here.

B) Sorry, far from it. If anything is my favorite, it is either X or Black2 or PMD: Explorers. Crystal's graphics were oddly appealing to me.

C) Either wasting my friend's master ball on sudowoodo (guess who didn't get to speak with him for a week) or soloing the whole game with Feraligatr and 2 other mons because I was 10-11 and didn't understand the concept of having a team of six. Also, fuck having to fight Whitney 5+ times to get that budge.

A) Pokémon Pinball, as it happens. I won it in a competition at a store using my amazing fan knowledge from the anime. I had to play it on my neighbours gameboy because I didn't yet have one on my own.

Main series first was blue, just over 14 years ago.

B) No, though I do still enjoy it. It's hard to say which is my most favourite, but Emerald is easily the one I've played through the most times. I haven't new-game'd since Platinum, mostly because of all the non-transferable event things like the Secret Key or C-gear stuff.

c) Back when I was playing on my neighbours copy, I couldn't figure out how to get out Red's front door. When I actually got the game, my first few runs ended with refusing to go through the pokémon tower until I bought a guide that told me I had to, doing the marowak ghost part with my eyes closed, and resetting if I got hit by Destiny Bond because I thought it killed rather than fainted. Also naming each species the same thing every time. I still do for the kanto mons, its basically a rule.

A) What was your first Pokemon game?
Blue. Real cartridge. Many years ago.

Absolutely not. R/B/Y is actually one of my three least favorite entries in the main series, the other two being G/S/C and HG/SS. My favorites are B/W and B/W2. Those two had amazing gameplay, most content, most new Pokemon and were overall an unforgettable experience that was very well done in practically every aspect. B/W are also the games that got me back into Pokemon which is another big reason as for why 5th gen will forever be special to me. I don't give a damn about nostalgia, gameplay is the main thing that matters to me.

Since I didn't know much English when I started playing, I didn't understand 95% of what was said in the games. I also missed a lot of useful things not related to the language, it took me forever to figure out how to do anything else in battle but "Fight", how to switch the order of the Pokemon in my party outside of battle and how to buy Poke Balls and other items (the first Pokemon I caught was a Pidgey, but it wasn't until I had gotten two badges and was on Route 24). I ended up getting stuck at lots of places such as Vermilion City since I didn't know what TMs and HMs did, meaning I couldn't teach Cut to my Pokemon. I also struggled getting through Rock Tunnel without Flash. A friend helped me solve both of these things, fortunately. Then I was stuck after Lavender Town since I had a full bag and couldn't receive the Poke Flute, ended up getting stuck again before Saffron as I didn't know how to make the guards happy enough to let me in. Since I didn't know what the different PC options meant, I had to give them a try to see what they did and ended up releasing a Vulpix that I wanted to use on my team. There's probably more but this is all I can think of for now.

Last edited:
-NLMRY- At the risk of stating the obvious, I never said that those NES classics were bad games. My point was quite the reverse: that they were good games in spite of their flaws when viewed through modern eyes, and so Pokemon Red/Blue can similarly be excused on account of its age.

FireRed
Nope. I'll always love Emerald the most. I love that vacation, nature feel of the region.
I don't know if I'd call it funny, but I would look at the type menu FireRed had before using any attack. It's actually how I learned most of the typings.

-NLMRY- At the risk of stating the obvious, I never said that those NES classics were bad games. My point was quite the reverse: that they were good games in spite of their flaws when viewed through modern eyes, and so Pokemon Red/Blue can similarly be excused on account of its age.
I didn't accuse you of saying they were bad games, I was refuting your argument that their "flaws" (the ones your prescribed) detracted from there overall design.

You said: "Well, clearly a save system could have been put into Super Mario Bros because plenty of NES games can be saved."

I (and Vader the White) countered: The truth is Super Mario Bros. could not be saved due to the technique requisite for saving on the NES, battery back up, not being discovered, invented, thought of, whatever.

You said (of Super Mario Bros.): "you can't run backwards..."

I argued: going back to previous screens would not enhance the game at all, and is therefore not a flaw. I want to expand upon this point a little bit. Maybe it would enhance the game if you were able to go back a screen to grab another Mushroom or Fire Flower if you had just lost your power-up, but other than that, going backwards in SMB would do nothing to enhance the experience.

To complete your sentence: "...let alone have any sort of level select or save game."

Again, I agree to a extent. It's frustrating that you start with 5 (I think) lives, 'cause it gets hard at level 8. But that's what coins are for. The more you get, the more chances you have to complete the game. And the further you get, the less coins there are, thus increasing the difficulty. Being able to input a password (or continue a save) would lessen this difficulty curve. I feel I have to clarify again - NES games at this point could not be saved, so that's out the window. Passwords would have served the same function, but as I argued, the game would have been too short if you could just start from world 8 when you wanted to. NES games are short, if you know them. The insane difficulty on them was for exactly this reason. They had to be hard to keep you playing.

You said: "And let's not forget those areas in Bowser's castle that looped indefinitely if you took the wrong path. Mediocre programming or necessary corner-cutting is one thing but that's just bad level design." (bad design is what I am arguing against)

To which I replied: "Legitimate puzzles."

You said of the Legend of Zelda: "there's no large-scale sense of direction in this game at all. It's pretty much impossible for a modern gamer fresh to the game to beat this game without some kind of strategy guide due to all the cryptic bullshit going on."

If a player finds it impossible to "beat this game without some kind of strategy guide due to all the cryptic bullshit going on," then I'd say it's a bad game.

But I again tried to refute this argument, saying, essentially: there are enough cues to let the player know whether or not they are in an area they can succeed in.

I feel like you missed all of my points.

Last edited:
My first pokemon game was Crystal. I was quite enthralled by it at the time, as I also got my GBA the very same year. Even now, years, later it is still my favourite Pokémon game. Unfortunately at the time I didn't know what shiners were and I swear a let a few beauties get away,.

I didn't accuse you of saying they were bad games, I was refuting your argument that their "flaws" (the ones your prescribed) detracted from there overall design.

You said: "Well, clearly a save system could have been put into Super Mario Bros because plenty of NES games can be saved."

I (and Vader the White) countered: The truth is Super Mario Bros. could not be saved due to the technique requisite for saving on the NES, battery back up, not being discovered, invented, thought of, whatever.

You said (of Super Mario Bros.): "you can't run backwards..."

I argued: going back to previous screens would not enhance the game at all, and is therefore not a flaw. I want to expand upon this point a little bit. Maybe it would enhance the game if you were able to go back a screen to grab another Mushroom or Fire Flower if you had just lost your power-up, but other than that, going backwards in SMB would do nothing to enhance the experience.

To complete your sentence: "...let alone have any sort of level select or save game."

Again, I agree to a extent. It's frustrating that you start with 5 (I think) lives, 'cause it gets hard at level 8. But that's what coins are for. The more you get, the more chances you have to complete the game. And the further you get, the less coins there are, thus increasing the difficulty. Being able to input a password (or continue a save) would lessen this difficulty curve. I feel I have to clarify again - NES games at this point could not be saved, so that's out the window. Passwords would have served the same function, but as I argued, the game would have been too short if you could just start from world 8 when you wanted to. NES games are short, if you know them. The insane difficulty on them was for exactly this reason. They had to be hard to keep you playing.

You said: "And let's not forget those areas in Bowser's castle that looped indefinitely if you took the wrong path. Mediocre programming or necessary corner-cutting is one thing but that's just bad level design." (bad design is what I am arguing against)

To which I replied: "Legitimate puzzles."

You said of the Legend of Zelda: "there's no large-scale sense of direction in this game at all. It's pretty much impossible for a modern gamer fresh to the game to beat this game without some kind of strategy guide due to all the cryptic bullshit going on."

If a player finds it impossible to "beat this game without some kind of strategy guide due to all the cryptic bullshit going on," then I'd say it's a bad game.

But I again tried to refute this argument, saying, essentially: there are enough cues to let the player know whether or not they are in an area they can succeed in.

I feel like you missed all of my points.
This thread is not for arguing and this is Pokemon convo, not a freaking Italian guy jumping on turtles. Get off here and take your pretty argument somewhere else please. Next time I'll be messaging a mod to remove you from said thread, or whatever they see fit.

Time to add some freshness here.

Black and White.

B) Is your first game also your favorite one? (If not, which one is?)

Only in story really, I prefer B2/W2 for gameplay (X/Y's frame rate ruined triple battles for me)

C) Anything funny you did when you first got the game because you were new to the series?

My friends were all avid Pokemon players, but I never really got interested. Then in 2011 I bought White on launch day on a whim for some reason. Something funny I did was putting protect on every Pokemon when playing triples (Before I became fully competitive). The only reason I did that was because the first time I went online, I got beaten badly by a team that used protect on every Pokemon :<. I also thought Brave was an exclusive nature for Braviary.

This thread is not for arguing and this is Pokemon convo, not a freaking Italian guy jumping on turtles. Get off here and take your pretty argument somewhere else please. Next time I'll be messaging a mod to remove you from said thread, or whatever they see fit.
Do what you need to do

A) blue

B) black2

C)discovering that softresetting stuff could lead to better stats...abused it a lot and owned the playground at elementary. On a side note level 80 graveler since i didnt know it was a trade evo.

If by first game you mean retail one, I actually saved my money and bought Pokemon Emerald version.
I did my best, I have no regrets (random nuggetbridge trainer, 1998). Seriously though, finding these games retail, complete with case and manual is like looking for a needle in a haystack, unless you're willing to risk it finding online.

No, it only comes as the top 2. My favorite game is Pokemon Crystal version since it was the first to introduce animated sprites, and for me I consider it as having the biggest replay value post game.

Not actually funny, though I did finish the game as soon as I bought it which took like a week. Nothing special, all hardcore/ pokefans/ pokemaniacs do that, honestly.

akaFila

butterscotch love
A) Pokemon Sapphire

B) In a sense, my favorite would have to be Emerald, but same gen/group technically.

C) Pretty sure my team was utter garbage.

A) Pokemon Firered
B) Actually, as fun as it is, I'd have to place Crystal or X as my favorite.
C) Yeah. I caught everything, but never used anything but my trusty Squirtle. As a result, the Elite four evolved into one super effective move for each member and lots of healing/luck against Gary.

A) what your first pokemon game was? Yellow

B) is your first game also your favorite game? No....not at all. I don't dislike yellow but I have fonder memories with other games.

C) anything funny you did when you first got the game cause you were new to the series? Well, my brother purposely deleted my file(I don't know if that's funny). When I first started, I couldn't beat Viridian forest and it was a big moment when I was taught how to "run". Nothing really happened though besides that.

A) What was your first Pokemon game?
Pokemon Red for my sixth birthday - I decided that I wanted it after seeing an older cousin playing it. After several years, I did end up completing the Pokedex on it; still the only Pokemon game in which I've done so.

I have fond memories of Red, but it's nowhere near my favourite game from the series. That title easily goes to HGSS; I loved Gold version back in the day, and the Gen IV remake just made it so much better. BW2 also rates highly; I rather enjoyed playing White 2 with Challenge Mode enabled.

It wasn't so much caused by the fact I was new to the series as the fact that I was just bad at puzzle solving as a six year old; I got stuck for ages in Victory Road because I couldn't solve the Strength puzzles. Speaking of Strength, I also had a habit of putting HM's on whichever Pokemon I had that could learn them, which led to some pretty bad movesets. Also had no idea about STAB, which also led to some moveset strangeness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)