How do you face and overcome your own mortality?

This is a common yet sensitive question to explore, and something that has been on my mind for several weeks again. Here are a few questions regarding mortality and our imprint on the world. I'm interested in hearing how the members here deal with this matter.

1. Have you come to terms with death? If so, what has helped you in accepting it? If not, how do you deal with it?

2. Also, what do you feel is most important to leave behind in your name and prove you existed? Your ideas, stories, physical creations, individual accomplishments, etc.

Note: life after death is a common idea and associated with many religions. As such, I expect some people to discuss their religious beliefs in response to these questions. This thread is not here to instigate disagreements between religions or validity of one's ideas. Please respect people's belief systems and personal ways of viewing mortality.

coming soon (I need some time to sort out my thoughts on both questions)

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
1. Yes. What has helped in accepting it is logic and morality, logic tells me that it is irrational to fear death, and this proposition diminishes my fear, for I know it as an irrational fear: for one thing, why fear the inevitable? I will die, so will everyone else at some point. And there are many more good reasons not to be afraid of death. It is more important to me that I live well, and I must be concerned with the morality of the actions that constitute my life, which are in my control in some illusive way, unlike my bodily life, which is strictly contingent. Your questions make your confusion obvious, for you ask those who have accepted their death what has helped them accept it, but you ask those who have not come to terms with their death how they deal with it; what is missing is why anyone would suppose that those who can deal and those who have come to terms are in fact distinguishable in any meaningful way. Thus these questions are not meaningful for the purposes of saying anything about coping with the fact of one's own death in their present formulation.

2. I don't need anything to prove I existed, my dead body won't need any recognition from posterity, imo. As is obvious, the need for a legacy, to impact future generations, has been a driving force for a serious amount of evil and violence throughout history. I would feel very happy if I were to leave a fully paid off nice-ish house to my next-of-kin/children/w.e my future holds. I doubt anyone will ever care too much about my research into the intersections of education, criminal and legal institutions, and psychiatric interventions and I am not undertaking this research with the view that my wage labor constitutes the entirety of my life's impact, value, worth, etc.

The second question constitutes quite an erasure of the likely event that the world will end through some awful environmental fuck-up (there are a shit ton of ways we are ruining the environment), or war, or nuclear thing, or earthquake, or magnetic polls switching, or disease, or run out of oil, or too many people, etc within our lifetime. Pondering one's legacy in such circumstances is quite a fantasy and denial.

Last edited:

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I can't really claim to have any knowledge about what will happen to me once I'm dead, except that it seems unreasonably unlikely that I'll still be capable of affecting the world I live in right now. It'll be a journey into the unknown, or to use a term that better portrays the way I look at it, an adventure!
Perhaps I'll cease to exist, or suffer some sort of tortured existance - or perhaps there are many worlds to see beyond this one. I can only hope for the latter, but I think the possibility of good excites me more than the possibility of bad worries me.

1. Yes. We're made to be afraid to die, and as I've said there's much bad that might hide behind death's veil. Despite that, I can't say I'm not curious as to what there is behind it, even if I'm in no hurry to find out.

2. While I'd love to leave this world better and more interesting than I found it, the best bet I can make is to make what I enjoy making, to say what I enjoy saying and to do what I enjoy doing, and to share it all with others in the hope that they too will enjoy it. And If I'm really lucky, they might just remember it.

1. I don't care. It is just a stage. You die, and that is it. Game over.
2. Who cares about leaving things behind? Odds are they will be destroyed eventually.

1. Yes. Fear of immediate death is completely rational, but fear of dying at some point in the future isn't as it's inevitable.

2. Nothing. Everything fades away in the end and eventually there won't be a record of any humans existing at all.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
1)
I Thessalonians 4:13-18 (NASB) said:
But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.
The hope of eternal life is a pretty powerful comfort.

2) As long as I give my kids as good a provision for their future, physically, financially, spiritually, etc, as I can, that's about as good as I can hope for. I do hope I can pass on a love for some of the things that I love and crazy fun memories. I think that's why I'm so gung ho about taking my kids on outdoor adventures, like our week long float trips and whatnot. I want to give them notable experiences they can relay with their kids, and hopefully share and relive too.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
1. I'm honestly fine with dying. Not now of course, since I'd love to live a full life, but I've realized that I'm gonna die anyway so no reason not to come to terms with it. I don't believe that we're going to develop a way to achieve immortality this century so there shouldn't be a way I wouldn't die. Also there's the whole afterlife which I'm not sure about but whatever.

2. I honestly don't feel like I need to make an impact. Sure, I'd like to. But I don't really think any one person will make an impact at all. People aren't gonna remember everything forever, so my contribution to the world doesn't need to be that big. I'd like to pass something to my next generation (like a house or whatever money I have set aside), but I never found any real need to try to help people 5 generations down the line because it's going to disappear eventually.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Th!nkPi stop asking deep questions.

1. Yes and no. At this stage in my life, I am afraid of dying suddenly. I do, however, think that when my time comes, I will know when it is and will he a lot more accepting of it.

2. I would want to leave my family a future, having provided them with a good education and bringing-up. Also, even though I may not impact the world in any major way, I would want to leave behind a "legacy". I would just want to be remembered by my friends and family so I would never truly "die".

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
The concept of death scares me. Death itself does not. I have sadly considered, and almost attempted suicide on occassion. That is my deepest secret, yet it is one I have on my back. For me, it is that death would be a release, yet I'd feel that I'd miss so much if I were to just die now. Yet whenever I die would be fine with me, all I'd be scared of, is what the other people would think of my death. That's what I can't come to terms with. How would my friends over the internet know of my death? What will the people I know in real life react? That's all I worry about. Anything else involving death could affect me, yet not greatly. I'd be in good terms with my death. I feel that it shall come when necessary.

1. Have you come to terms with death? If so, what has helped you in accepting it? If not, how do you deal with it?
I'm not sure. I've never been in a near death situation and am still young. However, I believe life exists beyond death and look forward to it.

2. Also, what do you feel is most important to leave behind in your name and prove you existed? Your ideas, stories, physical creations, individual accomplishments, etc.
I'd like to everyone who knew me remember my integrity.

When I was ten, I experienced my first existential crisis. It was motivated by severe doubts in the faith I was raised in and its potential implications for me in an afterlife. It was difficult to let go of the terror of hell, especially when it was fuelled by OCD. I appreciated fully for the first time the tininess of the human lifespan in comparison to endlessness. At the time my OCD was also powering an intense fear of contamination and infectious disease, and I was suicidally depressed (my wishes to die being more about a fantasy of escape from suffering and the burden of existence rather than actually actively wanting to die meant that a belief in hell for unbelievers precluded the possibility of me ever truly feeling happiness again), so it frightened me even more to think that hell could be worse than what I was experiencing while alive.

It took two things for me to deal with this fear: acceptance of my crisis in belief and acceptance of my mortality. The inevitability of a someday death impressed upon me a calmness, because I stopped actively resisting it in my mind and turned my consciousness to other things. I think, especially influenced by growing up as sick, I didn't need to renounce a feeling of immortality, nor did I need to deal with the idea that there would be a world without me (a fear of not leaving a legacy, for example)...

Another thing that helped was history. Perceiving the immenseness of even recorded time, of how many people have lived and died in that time, and imagining their progressions through their life, including many influential people who died suddenly or young (because there tends to be more information about influential people and vice versa), made me feel less alone in the face of death. It made it feel like a conclusion rather than a termination.

When I was seriously ill when I was seventeen, I made peace with a number of things that had happened when I was alive and began to learn to let go of certain people and pain. It meant that I could begin what has been and will continue to be a long healing process. And the fewer regrets I had, the calmer I was about going into that operating theatre. Likewise, the more directly appreciative I was of the value of my own life and the world around me, the more grateful I could be to ever have lived, and consequently less frustrated to be powerless.

Since then I've learned I'll be sick that way all my life and die young because of it. I expected that to be harder... no, it's mostly just isolating. What I fear is that I'll die alone, or that I'll never accomplish anything I want to when alive... but it's that fear that gives me the drive to do the things that matter to me and live in what I believe to be the right way; these are things that are more important to me than not dying, which is unavoidable and carries less value with it.

To be honest, not fearing death is a matter of (in my case, probably a strange) perspective and/or emotional control. If I ever find myself dying, perhaps I'll be afraid... I wouldn't be surprised, it's an entirely ordinary and sensible reaction. But there is nothing I can control about the fact my death will happen eventually, and so I simply learned to stop fighting it and move my emotional energy to things, like myzozoa said, that I can control myself and that are worth caring about. It's the same with coping with my genetic disease... I can't control it, so I don't fear it, I just try to do my best to respond to the situation as it happens.

With regard to Question 2, one thing that actually sort of horrifies me a bit is leaving aspects of myself behind, but that's a personal squeamishness.

For the first question: I would actually argue a bit of egotism is necessary to fear one's mortality (note: I'm talking about fearing the concept that one is not immortal; not fearing for one's life in particular circumstances). For many people, I think it's a lot easier to cope with the fact that other people/organisms/constructs/etc don't last forever than it is for them to cope with the fact that they themself don't. While the former realization (which generally occurs fairly early on in life) may be initially depressing, coming to terms with the idea that someone (or something) won't last forever can be achieved through a few different coping mechanisms. These can include celebrating someone's life instead of mourning their death, "Surviving" them through one's memories, etc. However, the realization of one's own immortality can be a pretty big blow to the ego in two main ways (in my view, at least):

-The first (and fairly juvenile) is the realization that your fate is no different than anyone else's. This realization conflicts with a self-centered view of the world: What you alone experience cannot possibly be the most accurate view of existence, as you will not be around for much of it. This can understandably lead to feelings of insignificance and meaninglessness. I think it's important to try to view the world without considering only one's own viewpoint. Instead of feeling that your experiences/actions are insignificant in "The end," consider them an integral part in what constitutes the interpretation of existence (which depends on many people who are very similar to you).

-The second has to deal with the coping mechanisms I mentioned earlier. It may be hard for some people to implement them because "You" are not the one in control. The idea that others are responsible for remembering/celebrating you may be unsettling. This feeling could simply arise from the fear that you could not possibly verify that your life actually is celebrated/remembered. It could also come from the notion that others won't remember you the way you want to be remembered (read: people don't see you the way you see yourself). To deal with this, it is important to be able to accurately reflect on oneself. If you would celebrate the life of someone else, why wouldn't they do they same for you? If you fear people not remembering you how you want to be remembered, then why is that? Do you view yourself in an unrealistic way, or do you have trouble conveying the "You" which corresponds to how you see yourself?

For the second question: I don't personally feel the need to leave behind anything which indicates to others how I want them to view my existence. I'd like to say I want to leave something better for future generations, but what that means isn't really obvious besides a few things (a habitable planet, peace, a higher standard of living, etc). I think the idea of leaving something behind is more important as an argument against destructive nihilism than as a coping mechanism for one's immortality.

Last edited:
i'd probably be scared shitless if i knew i was going to die, but i wouldn't be fearful as such. the hope of a life beyond this one is a powerful motivator

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
1. I am not scared to die, but I would still rather not. Death is unavoidable, so might as well accept its inevitability than fear or deny it.

2. I have no aspiration to leave behind any sort of legacy. I just don't hurt anyone on the way out.

Last edited:
1. I have thought about dying, and at one dark point in my life, wanted to be dead. Now that I'm beginning to get better, I no longer want to die, and the thought of death now scares me.

2. I would be happy if I was able to at least write one book, even if it wasn't popular. If I have kids or a family, I would also want them to help them have stability in their lives.

Coming to terms with one's mortality is not always easy. That's the price we have to pay for our intelligence.

1. I don't go around and worry about death. I am not dreading the day I die, but I don't welcome it either. Everything is transitory and nothing is permanent, not even love. The truth is that in the grand scheme you and I are insignificant. It might sound nihilistic but it is also quite liberating. I'm powerless over my mortality and that is fine. There is no point in worrying about or trying to change natural laws.

This song for reference :) :

2. I don't want any children right now but in the future I want to raise happy and productive children. I think that is the best legacy one can leave behind.

Interesting questions, for sure.

1. The awareness of death and the consequent constraints on the time I have here have had a motivating effect for me. I'm not sure that I buy into the concept of an afterlife, but I very much believe in the life I have and what I could possibly accomplish should I commit myself to achieving my goals. If anything, I fear the inclinations towards laziness and apathy I've shown at times more so than death. What does make me uncomfortable is considering the emotional burden that my eventual death may have upon my loved ones; I also can't fathom how I would cope with the death of my brother. The way I deal with this is attempting to spend as much time in the here and now making meaningful memories and enjoying each other's company. I can't determine how long I will live, but I'm thankful for and comforted by the fact that I can control how I live my life and hopefully, I do so in such a manner that, looking back at some point in the future, I will not have all that many regrets.

2. I look at the progression of society over millennia as building blocks being placed one atop the other; the accomplishments of past societies stacking to create that which we have today. As such, I hope that whatever I can do in scientific research, for instance, will help someone else in the future generations to construct something even better, and so forth. Another reason I want to create and share my ideas and stories, teach others, do research, and engage in other such activities, is to help me find fulfillment, and also do justice to the individuals I treasure, like my brother, who believe in me and support me no matter what. In any case, it would be nice if a part of my work was integrated into some greater achievement, such as a cure for HIV or cancer, but I certainly don't bear any expectations that my name will linger decades or centuries down the line.

“How surely are the dead beyond death. Death is what the living carry with them. A state of dread, like some uncanny foretaste of a bitter memory. But the dead do not remember and nothingness is not a curse. Far from it.”

- Cormac McCarthy, Suttree

I felt like giving up on my own question. I've been losing sleep over it, wondering exactly why I feel the way I feel. I did watch this video recently, which helped me put more things into perspective.

e.

I do know this:

I fear death and still struggle with accepting it. Why exactly I fear death I have not yet figured out. The closest answer I found lies in the words of Butter, as hilarious as that seems. I don't want to stop feeling.

When I die, no matter how hard I try to leave my memory behind I know that nothing will be permanent. The most powerful tool at my disposal is my name, and it'll be up to my children (if have any) to carry on my name. It makes me somewhat happy to know, as far as I know, I am the first person to bear my first name (as a first name, to specify. It started a generation earlier as a middle name). If I can be a good person to those close to me and to my own children, maybe I can be instill the idea that Edanry is the kind of person who wants to see the world prosper and wants to see people happy.

Life is short and that makes me cry. Even now my eyes water somewhat. Because of the inevitability of death, I think it's important to be good to each other as much as possible and enjoy our mutual journey through life.

http://mariartapocolypse.tumblr.com/post/96071559890

1. When death comes, that will be that.
2. I believe all things are impermanent. I accept that truth and revel in the chance of being able to experience the reality I percieve right now.

When I die, my body probably won't disappear. It will break down, and what makes it up will be scattered and reshaped into something new. In this sense, we have already transcended death; and in this same vein, we are nothing but the latest rearrangement of something else... which is humbling! When I consider that everything is constantly changing, bound and mixed in the same way, imperfect and fleeting, I feel a sense of kin with it all. Still, what if I just ceases to exist? What if the universe itself runs out? Then what is the purpose of living?

More like... "so what if the universe runs out?"

I cannot change what has happened, nor can I know what will happen. What I know is that right now, I have been given the astronomically improbable chance of being alive; the chance to have and exert my will. That's all that concerns me. The world only exists in the present. I can only act in the present. And I will live in the present for as long as there is one for me.

Thus, the meaning of life to me is being. Doing whatever it is I am doing, together with everything else that happens to be existing too... like you! :3

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm pretty Religious, but I've found that no matter what you believe happens once you die, the next stage (or lack thereof) will be nothing like the one you're living in now, so make the most out of it. If you're alive, you might as well live.

I had a thought today that comforted me on the topic of death. When I gaze at the stars, I know that many of them don't actually exist anymore, and what I'm seeing is the light finally reaching Earth. In that sense, though the stars disappear, their light will shine through the universe long after they're gone.

I think I want to do my best to shine and keep others thinking long after I'm gone too.

this may sound preposterous, but the way to overcome the fear of death is to cherish life, only if life can end does it have it's worth. Being immortal would suck and you would probably go insane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)