XY UU First try at a balanced UU team.

Hi.

Recently I decided to try my hand at competitive battling, more specifically within the UU tier. I played around with this team for a few hours and netted myself a spot at around 1250 LP. Obviously this isn't an amazing accolade, which is why I wanted to see if I could get my team rated and ultimately, improved.

So yeah, here's the team:

--------------------------------------

Sableye/Highway Star (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Foul Play Knock Off

This guy makes for a great anti-lead in my experience, and is in general a good annoyance. Taunt is to stop hazard setters and boosters, as well as Will-O-Wisp crippling physical attackers and to a lesser extent walls. Priority Recover is also nice, and Knock Off is useful for crippling choice item users. I put the EV's into being a special wall, as I noticed my team was lacking one. It should be noted that I originally ran Florges rather than Sableye.

Mega-Blastoise/Mr. President (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish/Mega Launcher
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere Dragon Pulse

I decided to use Mega-Blastoise as my team needed a reliable way to remove hazards, as well as a bulky water type. Mega-Blastoise filled all of these roles and more, as he also packs a heavy punch. The moves given allow him to have some great coverage. I've been finding that Dark Pulse is especially useful for catching the incoming Trevenant who may try to spinblock/wall Mega-Blastoise. Overall it's a pretty standard loadout, but it gets the job done. I originally had Slowbro for this role, but decided to swap it out due to lack of any notable offense. Because I was walled by Toxicroak, I decided to swap out Aura Sphere with Dragon Pulse, which is also useful for hitting Hydreigon.

Heracross/Sky High @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Close Combat

My main answer to dealing with bulky water types, which would normally threaten my team quite severely, as well as a good status absorber. Being burned by Scald from Crocune allows for Heracross to 2HKO with Close Combat, which shows just how powerful this thing can get. Heracross works well with Crobat and Blastoise, who appreciate the removal of bulky waters such as Slowbro and Crocune.

(This was recommended over Scarf Heracross by chimpact, thanks a bunch).

Rotom-H/Magician's Red @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split
- Overheat Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-H acts as one of my more defensive team members, helping taking hits from threats such as Darmanitan and Victini. Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp are useful for crippling threats such as scarf users, and due to Rotom-H being immune to it's own status moves, it can spam them without worrying about Synchronise or Magic Bounce users, namely Mega-Absol. Pain Split allows for some recovery and Volt Switch allows it to form a VoltTurn core with Crobat.

Crobat/Aerosmith (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 HP / 176 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Cross Poison
- Defog Sleep Talk
- U-Turn

Due to the prevelance of fast scarf users such as Meinshao, Hydreigon and Infernape, I decided to run choice scarf over choice band on Crobat. I used 180 speed EVs to hopefully outspeed other scarf Crobat's. U-Turn forms a nice VoltTurn core with Rotom-H and Defog for hazard removal in case Blastoise goes down. Sleep Talk is useful for absorber sleep, making Crobat more effective at counter Amoongus and Roserade.

Nidoqueen/Scary Monsters @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Modest
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Noticing I had problems with the common Florges/Mega-Aggron core, I decided to use offensive Nidoqueen over Mew. Not only does it beat the core with a combination of Sludge Wave and Earth Power, it's also able to lay down Stealth Rock which is useful for some necessary OHKO's on opposing 'mons. Nidoqueen works well with Crobat, as it gets rid of the Florges/Mega-Aggron core aswell as dropping opposing Crobat into 75% health with Stealth Rocks, which my own Crobat can OHKO with Brave Bird.

(This was recommended over special defensive Mew by Patrick1088, thanks a bunch)

--------------------------------------

Anyway, thanks for reading! This is my first RMT thread, so please feel free to be as critical as you need to be. Also a huge thanks to the users who have helped me make various changes to my team, both in terms of actual Pokemon used and moveset/EV changes.​

Last edited:
Hey there, just a few quick things I note about your team.

1. You have both Rapid Spin and Defog (Blastoise and Crobat respectively) but you really only need one of the two.
2. You have no Stealth Rocks (:o!) of any of the entry hazards it is the easiest and best to have on any team.
3. You don't really have anything that can truly handle Hydreigon, one of UU's main monsters.

Some changes to consider would be taking Defog off of Crobat's set and replacing it with Taunt or Super Fang which could be useful for breaking down walls.
An option for giving you Stealth Rocks would be changing Celebi to Mew with the set below which is from the analyses

name: Specially defensive
move 1: Defog / Stealth Rock
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
move 3: Soft-Boiled
move 4: Knock Off / Psychic
ability: Synchronise
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spe
nature: Careful / Calm

And leave Rapid Spin on Mega-Blastoise for hazard control. Putting Mew on also allows you to patch up your Special Defense which will be good.

As for patching up your weakness to Hydreigon, it might be worth considering changing Lucario to a Scarfed Heracross, and then Crobat can be used as a Taunt/Pivot support (Taunt, Super Fang, Roost, U-Turn).

I haven't played UU in quite a while so my suggestions may not be great, but hopefully it gives you a general idea for patching up your team. Best of luck.

Hey there, just a few quick things I note about your team.

1. You have both Rapid Spin and Defog (Blastoise and Crobat respectively) but you really only need one of the two.
2. You have no Stealth Rocks (:o!) of any of the entry hazards it is the easiest and best to have on any team.
3. You don't really have anything that can truly handle Hydreigon, one of UU's main monsters.

Some changes to consider would be taking Defog off of Crobat's set and replacing it with Taunt or Super Fang which could be useful for breaking down walls.
An option for giving you Stealth Rocks would be changing Celebi to Mew with the set below which is from the analyses

name: Specially defensive
move 1: Defog / Stealth Rock
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
move 3: Soft-Boiled
move 4: Knock Off / Psychic
ability: Synchronise
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spe
nature: Careful / Calm

And leave Rapid Spin on Mega-Blastoise for hazard control. Putting Mew on also allows you to patch up your Special Defense which will be good.

As for patching up your weakness to Hydreigon, it might be worth considering changing Lucario to a Scarfed Heracross, and then Crobat can be used as a Taunt/Pivot support (Taunt, Super Fang, Roost, U-Turn).

I haven't played UU in quite a while so my suggestions may not be great, but hopefully it gives you a general idea for patching up your team. Best of luck.
Yeah, I just realised running Defog on Crobat was redundant, especially since I would have to be locked into it anyway. Thanks for the suggestion of Taunt/Super Fang.

Oddly enough I never really encountered many Hydreigons despite their usage being so high. I mainly had problems with physical scarf users like Mienshao and Infernape, which is what I tried to tailor my team to. Seeing as I don't have a properly dedicated special wall (barring Sableye, but even that isn't great_), I'll look into the Mew set you recommended me. Thanks again.

I'm not too sure about scarf Heracross though. It's still outsped by scarf Hydreigon, and Lucario's Justified is useful for switching into dark type attacks. I will definitely try it out if Lucario doesn't preform as well as I hope it will.

EDIT: I actually realised having a status absorber would be good for the team, so I decided to take you up on your suggestion of scarf Heracross with Sleep Talk.

Last edited:
The first thing I saw was Hydro Pump on Blastoise. With Mega Blastoise's ability, Mega Launcer, all Pulse/Aura moves get boosted by 50%. That means that water pulse is 120 base power, before stab. That's higher powered and more accurate than hydro pump.

Also, it's a preference thing, but I've always ran Knock Off on my sableyes. Foul Play is useful against physical attackers, but I like Knock Off for removing recovery items from stally pokes, as well as to hurt item dependent pokes.

As far as a status absorber, if you want a heracross, use guts banded heracross. Far more powerful, and it actually functions as a status absorber. The only status that a scarf sleep talk heracross absorbs is sleep. It can still get burned, and with guts para makes you stronk.

Other than that, the team looks fine. The scarf crobat is pretty interesting. There's probably an argument to be made about it being fast enough anyways, but for the niche that you're looking to fill I think it's pretty well qualified.
GLHF with the team :)

The first thing I saw was Hydro Pump on Blastoise. With Mega Blastoise's ability, Mega Launcer, all Pulse/Aura moves get boosted by 50%. That means that water pulse is 120 base power, before stab. That's higher powered and more accurate than hydro pump.

Also, it's a preference thing, but I've always ran Knock Off on my sableyes. Foul Play is useful against physical attackers, but I like Knock Off for removing recovery items from stally pokes, as well as to hurt item dependent pokes.

As far as a status absorber, if you want a heracross, use guts banded heracross. Far more powerful, and it actually functions as a status absorber. The only status that a scarf sleep talk heracross absorbs is sleep. It can still get burned, and with guts para makes you stronk.

Other than that, the team looks fine. The scarf crobat is pretty interesting. There's probably an argument to be made about it being fast enough anyways, but for the niche that you're looking to fill I think it's pretty well qualified.
GLHF with the team :)
Thanks very much. The reason I run ScarfBat is due to the prevelance of scarf Meinshao and Infernape which would normally outspeed Crobat. I'm still thinking of changing it around a bit, but it's been working well for me so far.

Are you sure about Water Pulse being 120BP? Surely if both boosts apply, the power would equal 135BP? (60x1.5)x1.5 = 135. If that's actually correct then I'll definitely run that instead, thanks for letting me know.

Also, I didn't want to primarily use Heracross as a status absorber, it was merely an additional perk I noticed. I still think I'll run with him as is.

And finally, I kept Foul Play on Sableye due to having Knock Off on Mew. It does do quite a bit of damage and still 2HKO's common scarf Chandelure, which has been immensely useful so far. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
you currently have no way of beating crocune which is a very common set in the meta.

i would make heracross a bulkier spread with leftovers to handle it along with other bulky waters.

Heracross @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Close Combat

it outspeeds nidoqueen and has decent bulk to take hits from other mons. It helps you beat slowbro and other bulky waters as well. If suicune gets a burn with scald cc becomes a 2hko.

you also should make crobat adamant with 176 speed EVs and 80 HP. You save some EVs and hit harder, considering the fastest scarfer in the tier is mienshao and you don't need all that speed.

you currently have no way of beating crocune which is a very common set in the meta.

i would make heracross a bulkier spread with leftovers to handle it along with other bulky waters.

Heracross @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Close Combat

it outspeeds nidoqueen and has decent bulk to take hits from other mons. It helps you beat slowbro and other bulky waters as well. If suicune gets a burn with scald cc becomes a 2hko.

you also should make crobat adamant with 176 speed EVs and 80 HP. You save some EVs and hit harder, considering the fastest scarfer in the tier is mienshao and you don't need all that speed.
Oddly enough I haven't ran into any CroCune sets, but bulky waters always gave me a bit of a problem so I'll try this out, thanks for the suggestion.

I actually forgot to edit Crobat's info, he should be Adamant with 176 Spe EVs last time I checked.

Hey there! I actually saw one replay of your team on ps! Right before i was going to rate! Just a few points...

1. Foul play is okay, but the superior choice is knock off with a careful nature. Its a STAB move that cripples pokes. Foul play is okay, but knock off is more consistent in disrupting. Having 2 ko users isnt bad too.
2. On stoise, drop aura sphere for dragon pulse. It allows you to get around toxicroak easier. Aura hits blissey for the 3hko which it will always win the match. Its easier toblet a teammate ko blissry. Hydro pump does more damage than water pulse even factoring launcher. The power difference is quite noticeable.
More to come later when i have more time!

3.hera is cool no complaints!
4.crobat, change t adamant for scarfbat. Its still showing as jolly. Scarf taunt is not a good idea. I recommend sleep talk. Hera and rotom dont want be asleep. Burn and poison are covered by hera while rotom is immune to burn and paralysis. A sleep absorber is important and you have sableye for a fast taunt.
5. Rotom looks good, just one tidbit. I recommend dropping overheat. uninvested, its no going to hit much and there are so many dragons and special walls, its just a pain to waste it. I recommend WoW in its place. Thanks to its typing, it is affected by burn or paralysis and has nothing to fear if you spam WoW or twave with magic bouncers or synchronize pokes. The ground types that switch in predicting volt sitch dont want to be burned. And it lets rotom beat physical or mixed nidoking.
6. Mew is okay, but i think you may have more luck with offensive nidoqueen. Queen, eye and bat have great synergy. Queenie beats the florges/mega aggron core, which your team has trouble with. Queen can double as a wallbreaker and hazard layer and can tank physical hits well, especially from hera and shao.

That set is...
Nidoqueen@life orb
Sheer force
Modest nature
96Hp/252 sp atk/160speed
-stealth rock
-sludge wave
-Earth power
-ice beam

3.hera is cool no complaints!
4.crobat, change t adamant for scarfbat. Its still showing as jolly. Scarf taunt is not a good idea. I recommend sleep talk. Hera and rotom dont want be asleep. Burn and poison are covered by hera while rotom is immune to burn and paralysis. A sleep absorber is important and you have sableye for a fast taunt.
5. Rotom looks good, just one tidbit. I recommend dropping overheat. uninvested, its no going to hit much and there are so many dragons and special walls, its just a pain to waste it. I recommend WoW in its place. Thanks to its typing, it is affected by burn or paralysis and has nothing to fear if you spam WoW or twave with magic bouncers or synchronize pokes. The ground types that switch in predicting volt sitch dont want to be burned. And it lets rotom beat physical or mixed nidoking.
6. Mew is okay, but i think you may have more luck with offensive nidoqueen. Queen, eye and bat have great synergy. Queenie beats the florges/mega aggron core, which your team has trouble with. Queen can double as a wallbreaker and hazard layer and can tank physical hits well, especially from hera and shao.

That set is...
Nidoqueen@life orb
Sheer force
Modest nature
96Hp/252 sp atk/160speed
-stealth rock
-sludge wave
-Earth power
-ice beam
Hey, thanks for taking the time to help with the team. Regarding your first post, I think I will take you up on your idea for replacing Foul Play with Knock Off, as I seem to be running into more teams with either physical attackers that resist Foul Play (Krookodile and Lucario mainly), so I think Knock Off would be the better option.

I also noticed Blastoise got walled by a Toxicroak I fought in a recent match, and seeing as Dragon Pulse still covers Hydreigon, I'll think I'll run that instead (aswell as Hydro Pump over Water Pulse). I also forgot to edit Crobat's info (again) as I am running Adamant over Jolly.

Overheat has helped me in the past, but admittedly it still does piss poor damage to anything that isn't a grass type, so I'll probably take up Will-O-Wisp over it.

I'm liking the suggestion of Nidoqueen over Mew, as it still lays down hazards, has good synergy with my team and beats the Mega Aggron/Florges core (which I used myself when I first started). However, Mew was hella good at taking most special hits. Would it be worth running any special defense EVs on Nidoqueen? Sableye is good but it hasn't got the greatest defenses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)