Project NeverUsed Team Building Competition (Round 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi peeps, I’ve been testing this team on the NU ladder and in battles against people from the chat for a while now so I think I was able to remove every common weakness but no human being is perfect so... anyways, let’s get to the team.

Mortar’s set was the easiest, I just love mixmortar but decided to try life orb over expert belt this time and I must say I’m probably never going back to expert belt.

When electivire first dropped to nu I tried it out a bit and decided I liked it banded. I’ve seen a lot of people use this set but with cross chop over volt switch. I didn’t think cross chop was needed that much and yolo so volt switch it is.

Now I had my core to work around I needed a plan to continue. I prefer balanced teams over all out offensive ones so a defensive core was next on my list. I decided to go for a hazard+para spamming defensive core because mixmortar becomes so much more of a threat when half your opponent’s team is paralyzed and gets ¼ of their health taken away on the switch. To cover the spikes I went with ferroseed because qwilfish just added another ground weakness. Now, this ferroseed is specially defensive because when I looked at my finished team I noticed I had only 1 member designed to take special hits and 3 to take physical ones (also I had nothing to switch in on powerful hydro pumps from let’s say ludicolo or samurott for example)

Uxie looked like the best choice to round this core up because of levitate and a fighting resistance. The set I used is pretty standard, max hp and 104 speed with the rest dumped into defense and a bold nature. I went with psyshock over psychic because hariyama and the power loss is hardly noticed in most of the battles.

Hariyama is there to eat fire moves aimed at ferroseed and carries earthquake over fake out. I’ve always wanted to try eq over fake out and it looked pretty decent. Turns out that even in the worst case scenario, slurpuff is ko’d after eq+bullet punch if it tries to belly drum.

I had to give the last spot on my team a lot of thought. It was either going to be sandslash for spinning or spiritomb for spinblocking. I went with spiritomb in the end because It could help my team with beating feraligatr since ferro isn't really able to (+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 112-132 (38.3 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO I wouldn’t call this a 100% counter). I’ve been using this spiritomb for a while now and I think it’s not bad at all. Foul play beats sd sandslash who would otherwise beat me if it had a lum berry and of course the above mentioned feraligatr. Sucker punch for priority and last but certainly not least shadow ball. Shadow ball is a lot stronger then the piss weak shadow sneak and even does a load of damage to physical defensive xatu who otherwise could stay in on tomb without a problem. Tomb also helps against most earthquake users because of his bulk+will-o-wisp.

This is what I made of the mortar/e-vire core and I’ve grown quite fond of this team. Hope I didn’t look over anything obvious and thanks for sticking through to the end!
Ashes (Magmortar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake

Menace (Electivire) @ Choice Band
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch

Bed Of Nails (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Dying In Your Arms (Uxie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Psyshock

Violence (Hariyama) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Gorgeus Nightmare (Spiritomb) @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play

Last edited:

Okay let's get started with the teambuilding process:

First off, we have the two main pokes of the team, Magmortar and Electivire, two pretty nice pokemon in this metagame. Electivire is going for a Choice Scarf set, while Magmortar is going for an Expert Belt Mixed set. I tested Life Orb on Electivire, but I disliked it, because I died a little too early for my taste, and Magmortar has Expert Belt because I want to make my opponent think I'm Choiced in some way, while I'm not. And let's say they send out their Seismitoad against my Magmortar's Flamethrower, after that residual damage, then I surprise the opponent with HP Grass, and the opposing Seismitoad vanishes off the screen, it just gets murdered. Only annoying thing about these two, is that they share a weakness to Ground, which is terrible so that's when my next pokemon come into play. It kinda sucks that Magmortar and Electivire are like water and oil, they just don't mix by themselves.

Next up we have Uxie, with the set I posted in Creative / Underrated movesets for NU. I'm quite proud of the set, it helps cause a lot of offensive pressure on teams and also pressures Stall teams pretty darn well. It's a Max HP Max Spe variant so I can be able to outspeed slower things than Uxie and either Yawn and force a switch, or T-Wave something so Magmortar and E-Vire come in and destroy it. This pixie also act as my team's cleric, I tested Audino and Lickilicky but their weakness to Fighting makes me kind of vulnerable to fast Fighting types, such as Sawk. While Uxie can T-Wave or Yawn to cripple the Sawk and either focre it out before it goes to sleep with Yawn, or render it completely useless with Thunder Wave. Now I realize after the fact that Yawn + U-turn is a fantastic to combo to play with, I needed some sort of residual damage for the forced switches, that's when my next Pokemon come into play. And it synergizes with E-Vire and Magmortar pretty well as it lures Earthquakes which is a fantastic thing to have for these team's Star Players.

And then we have my trusty, trusty Seismitoad. Seismitoad is easily one of the best Stealth Rockers in the game, as it has the ability to wall common Physical Sweepers such as Feraligatr and opposing Electivire. This frog also has pretty decent offensive presence causing quite a bit of damage. The set I opted to run is Stealth Rock + Knock Off and Dual STAB. This is incredibly helpful as I always lead off with either this Frog or with Uxie. Also Seismitoad has great synergy with Magmortar as it lures Water and Rock Moves, the Water ones are negated due to Seismitoad's Water Absorb ability. This set also supports Uxie in the residual damage department, as Uxie can force switches with Yawn and then the opponent will take damage every times it switches out.

So then I realized my team is very vulnerable to hazards as 3 of my 4 current pokemon are vulnerable to all entry hazards. So I needed a Pokemon that can have an inmunity to Spikes, and that can shit on Sesimitoad in case Magmortar goes down, that when Freeze-Dry Icicle Plate Cryogonal came to mind. Cryogonal is a fantastic Pokemon due to the fact it gets a nifty move called Freeze-Dry. This hits Water Types for SE damage, and it has 4x effectiveness on Seismitoad, Mantine, Ludicolo, Whiscash, etc. Although it's weak to rocks it gets access to Rapid Spin, because I find Defog and Rocks a little counter-productive, specially for my Uxie as it loses the ability to stack up damage by forcing switches. I tried Knock Off but losing Rapid Spin or Recover was really bad for Cryogonal, and I did not want to drop Ice Beam.

Last but not least, I asked myself: How am I going to prevent Defog?. Well, I thought of a Defiant user, so Life Orb Primeape came into mind. Primeape gets access to Defiant which is a nifty ability to prevent Intimidate users like Granbull from lowering my Attack, and to prevent Defog. I tried a Mismagius, but it just didn't fit well on this team. Primeape helps with those pesky dark types and those pesky steel types in case Magmortar is taken out of severely weakened. And this set utilizes a nice yet rare move in Poison Jab to prevent BD Slurpuff to set up although I actovate it's Unburden, but Slurpuff without a boost is piss weak. I know a Pawniard could do this better but I wanted to be fast right off the bat.

So that's the team I'm submitting for this round, it's a pretty fun team, it took me a little while to make, I tested it with my buddy Swagalge and I'm proud of this team: Here's the importable if you wanna give it a shot by yourselves:

Barbed Wire (Electivire) (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch

Asahina <3 (Seismitoad) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Def / 60 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Earthquake

Celes (Uxie) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- U-turn
- Yawn

Naegi (Magmortar) (M) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 12 Atk / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Rash Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

PrimeRAPE (Primeape) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

Gaga (Cryogonal) @ Icicle Plate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Pls keep the nicknames if you wanna use this team :d

Right, i have been seeing a growing trend in stall teams as of late, not only on the ladder, but even in tournament situations where they are not best suited. My new team intends to give the middle finger to stall, but also being viable as a standard hyper offense team which you could use vs any playstyle (but especially stall, f*** ferrogalge)
Basically, the approach ive take to this stall team is unpredictability. To achieve this the main attacking/wall breaking core are ALL mixed meaning that the opponent would need superb bulk on BOTH sides of defense and a typing to suit each of the pokemon in this team.

The core

For this week, we have been given a couple of pokes with great mixed coverage. Magmortar hits like a train and electivire can hit everything with its great mixed coverage. I chose a quite standard Life orb Mixed Magmortar. Did i tell you this thing hits like a train?? It has a whole load of power coming off a life orb fire blast to the extent where it easily, easily 2hkoes specially defensive audino which some stall teams are hinged on. It simply takes apart a typical ferrogalge core with eq being a safe 2hko on physically defensive dragalge and fire blast sending ferroseed to the pit im sure it deserves. Also flame body coz f di priority. For Electivire i have opted for an E-Belt Mixed Set. The thing electivire has over Magmortar is its access to volt switch and a nice ability in motor drive which can really come in handy. The evs are adjusted for optimal speed, enough spattack evs to ohko ferroseed (bulky af) and enough attack evs to ohko dragalge after rocks and one flamethrower. Also flamethrower 2hkoes vileplume which is a long forgotten thing, but its nice to know anyway.

Overall, this team core is quite good for stall breaking (Very good infact) due to the nice movepools and stats each poke is blessed with. However it does struggle slightly on the speed side which is why i think these 2 arent as used as they really should be.

The Rest of the team

I know the original core is quite good at the stall breaking bit but eh, may as well make it fantastic. I also kinda needed a rocker, so in that case Mixed Life Orb Archeops w/ rocks! is HANDS DOWN, best stall breaker in nu. It rips stall apart as people often try and counter the typical itemless acrobatics set. With me, variety is the spice of life and archeops is the epitomy. It has a POWERFUL stab stone edge which is what you threaten burds like pelipper, swanna, articuno, xatu with, Heat Wave, a fantastic coverage move that OHKOES ferroseed and earth power, which safely 2hkoes Dragalge and ohkoes non sturdy steelix. The main disadvantage of running this set is that you only really have 5 hits maximum before you go down to defeatist thanks to life orb. In some cases, much faster e.g. when rocks are up, therefore it needs approprate support.

This comes in the form of Scarfed Mespirit w/ trick and healing wish. I am yet to encounter a set in nu with as much utility as this set. It has great bulk, decent speed and decent power. But the thing that pushes it off the edge for me is its utility. The fact it can trick its counter a likely to be annoying item, and have the ability to give "a 2nd life" to any one in the team that best suits the scenario is absolutely game changing. This comes in so handy when the opponent is wittiling your team down with hazards and a late game healing wish is fatal. Mespirit also adds nice psychic and fairy coverage to the team.

Next, we need some bulk and priority to the team which before it lacked.
I've decided to go with Standard Physically Defensive Spiritomb. This gives me a true answer to fighting types rather than a just a check. Spiritomb does a good job of slowly wearing down the opponents team, providing (Slightly dodgy) priority and a lot more bulk to the team. This mon acts as the glue that keeps this team from crumbling in the face of balanced and hyper offensive teams.

Lastly, i have decided to go with the ever reliable Standard Bulk Up Gurdurr which not only gives us nice and solid type synergy (in the fact it stops powerful rocks types etc, but a nice ton of bulk for us to abuse and Solid Prority for revenge killing various things (i guess it cant revenge ghosts, but thats spiritombs job :D). It also acts as a win condition vs balanced/hyper offensive teams as when its given a couple of turns to set-up not many pokes can relaibly counter it. BTW Granbull is not a counter, if Gurdurr gets a couple of bulk ups and is able to bulk up a third and fourth time (crits waiting to happen :/) a +3 drain punch outheals the damage dealt by a defensive granbull on a +4 gurdurr and proceed to sweep unless dual fairy core.

Overall, this team WORKS. It does what it sets out to do and that is to cockblock stall in every possible extreme. It does well to keep hazards off the field since 3 mons destroy the usual ferrogalge core. It also "semi-works" vs balanced and hyper offensive teams since spiritomb and gurdurr add bulk to an otherwise frail team, but if a good player playing with a good hyper offensive team battles you, you have your work cut out if you want to come out the victor.
I guess this is an original take at beating stall--hope you enjoy abusing stall players.
Magmortar @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 96 Atk / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Psychic
- Earthquake

Electivire @ Expert Belt
EVs: 248 Atk / 36 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Archeops @ Life Orb
Ability: Defeatist
Naive Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Stealth Rock

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

^enjoy!

Okay, so I made this team to help familiarize myself with this meta, and it's been doing fairly well for me. I guess it's Hyper Offense. The basic idea is to lead with Archeops, prevent opposing hazards with a very fast Taunt, then get Magmortar, Electivire, and Feraligatr on the field to wreck the opposing team.

Teambuilding:
I started with Mixed Expert Belt Magmortar. Expert Belt throws off a lot of people, occasionally getting me a surprise KO on Dragalge, Golem, Rhydon, etc. Also, Magmortar is basically impossible to switch into, so it has been putting a lot of work for me.

Since wall-breaking Magmortar takes out basically the same things as wall-breaking Electivire, I went with a perhaps unusual mixed Scarf Electivire. I expected Electivire to pull the team down a bit, to be honest, but it has been great and saved me a few times. I swapped out Flamethrower or another coverage for Volt Switch, but you could stick in Flamethrower or something.

After that, I could tell by watching some of the PS NU room's tourney matches that hazard stacking was pretty popular, so I wanted a way to help manage that. I settled on a suicide lead Archeops, since it's extremely fast (I think the fastest Taunt + Stealth Rock in the tier), it can usually block hazards with Taunt and set up its own. Archeops has put in a lot of work for me as well, and I've only had a few games where the opponent got any hazards down at all. I originally had U-turn, but swapped in Tailwind, thinking/hoping that the extra speed would be more beneficial than a potential sack later on in the game.

Next I wanted to pick a sweeper/primary win condition for the team. This is the choice I'm most on the fence about, but I settled on SD Feraligatr. It's the best sweeper in the metagame at the moment (except for maybe Slurpuff?), but I still have mixed feelings about it. But I know it's a great mon, so I think I'm misplaying it most of the time. Rindo Berry mostly for Sceptile ruining my fun.

Then I wanted an answer to fighting types in the tier, as well as just a bulky mon to take some hits. I went with a standard physically defensive Granbull (with Toxic instead of Thunder Wave), and I've been happy with it. Takes hits all day, usually Toxics something important, and can provide Heal Bell support (though I haven't really needed this yet).

Lastly is support Liepard, who serves to stop opposing setup sweepers. Liepard's surprising amount of power, high speed, and priority Encore do wonders for the team, but it is increibly frail. I feel like I misplay Liepard a lot, but I can see a lot of potential there.

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Electivire @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Volt Switch

Archeops @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Feraligatr @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Torrent
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Ability: Prankster
Adamant Nature
- Encore
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Electivire @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Quiver Dance

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

This team is focused around breaking down walls (yup very original) to enable a sweep from Lilligant and/or Mismagius. With Spikes support from Garbodor and 2 powerful wallbreakers, walls that would normally trouble Lilligant are destroyed eg. Dragalge, Ferroseed, Vileplume, Altaria etc. Mesprit provides SR support and Healing Wish is really cool if I need to use my win condition to break walls first. Dazzling Gleam is to 2HKO Spiritomb after SR damage so that Mismagius doesn't have to die. Garb is pretty much the only defensive thing here but it's a reliable enough pivot. It's also cool to save it up for physical attackers because they take a lot of damage from helmet + Aftermath. As for Lilligant it's the standard QD set but I prefer Giga Drain so I can hit stuff when Petal Dance isn't safe yet. the fact that Mortar + Evire are used together means they can run a wider variety of coverage moves and the opponents have to guess when it's safe to bring a wall in.

The first thing you need to know is that the e-vire has an Assault Vest please don't hurt me.

The idea is to lead with banded Klinklang, who can OHKO common leads such as Crustle and Archeops with gear grind which bypasses sash/sturdy, thus halting a team's opportunity to set up hazard support. Gear rind will leave a sizeable dent in any poke that doesn't resist, while wild charge can be used to eliminate any waters. It also has shift gear for the situation where you get knocked off, but volt switch can be run instead.

Pelipper deals nicely with physical mons that can't hit it for SE damage, while also providing Defog support.

If you can predict an electric attack coming Pelipper's way you can switch to E-Vire for a free speed boost, and then E-Vire can set up with PuP, while tanking any non-SE special attacks that come his way thanks to the AV. Wild charge is his STAB move of choice, while EQ and Frustration allow decent coverage.

SwDragalge eats up special attacks all day long thanks to its great SpD stat and AV (BT eat ya heart out), and can hit back hard with sludge wave or draco meteor.

Leafeon helps alleviate the ground weakness in the team, while also countering Gatr nicely. It can also set up and do lots of damage in its own right with SD, leaf blade and knock off. The 4th slot can be occupied by heal bell or synthesis, I found heal bell to be more helpful on the whole as my team attracts a lot of will-o-wisp.

Last but not least we have Magmortar, who has Belly Drum. He can set up on a surprising amount of things thanks to his reasonable Sp.Def stat (best example is Plume who will switch out anyway), get a speed boost with flame charge and hopefully sweep with EQ and mach punch (which is also helpful for killing stuff that has SP, especially pawniard).

Obviously not the best team ever, but is very fun to play with. It is importable below:

Electivire @ Assault Vest
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Wild Charge
- Frustration

Magmortar @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Earthquake
- Flame Charge
- Mach Punch

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Surf
- Focus Blast

Leafeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Scald

Klinklang @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge
- Frustration

also dragalge y your sprite so big man
I just noticed you had a choice banded shift gear on klinklang, you have some explaining to dooo.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, it's time to vote!
Now, remember that this is a competition. Feel free to try to discredit one another with calcs and logic or try to hype your own team.

Here are the teams:

Magmortar @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Marowak @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Stone Edge

Electivire @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Wild Charge
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Return

Sceptile @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 4 SpD
Serious Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

Sawk @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
- Knock Off

Drifblim @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Psychic

Electivire @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Wild Charge
- Frustration

Magmortar @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Earthquake
- Flame Charge
- Mach Punch

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Surf
- Focus Blast

Leafeon @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Scald

Klinklang @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Wild Charge
- Frustration

Ashes (Magmortar) @ Life Orb
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt
- Earthquake

Menace (Electivire) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Volt Switch

Bed Of Nails (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Dying In Your Arms (Uxie) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Psyshock

Violence (Hariyama) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Gorgeus Nightmare (Spiritomb) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play

Barbed Wire (Electivire) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch

Asahina <3 (Seismitoad) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Def / 60 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Scald
- Earthquake

Celes (Uxie) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- U-turn
- Yawn

Naegi (Magmortar) (M) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 12 Atk / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Rash Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

PrimeRAPE (Primeape) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

Gaga (Cryogonal) @ Icicle Plate
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 96 Atk / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Psychic
- Earthquake

Electivire @ Expert Belt
EVs: 248 Atk / 36 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Archeops @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Stealth Rock

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Electivire @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Volt Switch

Archeops @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Tailwind

Feraligatr @ Rindo Berry
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Liepard @ Dread Plate
Ability: Prankster
Adamant Nature
- Encore
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Electivire @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Quiver Dance

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Toxic

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Look through each team, decide which one you like best, and make sure to Bold who you vote for. Provide a little bit of reasoning as to why you voted for that them. Try not to bandwagon. And no voting for yourself.

You have a week. Go!

I vote MegaFairyFlareons team because he has a shadow ball spiritomb and he spelt "gorgeus" wrong lel. He also isnt that guy who runs protect ferroseed just for leech seed recovery

I vote HJAD because i fell in love with healing wish mesprit a few days ago and mixed life orb archeops is to yolo for me to ignore (not sure what i think about flame body mortar tho...)
EDIT: after actually trying the archeops i noticed that it's real as hell

Last edited:

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Came between mff and Scorp. Feel like scorps team is a little too weak to liepard and archeops, and I like the defensive synergy of hariyama and spiritomb to spin block and have a good check to firespam to allow ferroseed to even more reliably switch in and out to get hazards, so going with mff
Edit:
might also be nice if people gave a little reasoning behind their vote besides just saying it's a good team. It does not provide useful info for new people wanting to test new teams

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final votes are in:
  1. Scorpdestroyer with 3 votes
  2. HJAD and MFF tied with 2 votes
Congratulations to scorpdestroyer for winning this round of the teambuilding competition.

As promised, the winner, scorpdestroyer, and his team will be entered into our Hall of Fame. However, he's already a voice or something on the Pokemon Showdown! room. So, that prize will be kept in store for whoever wins Round 4. And our fourth core is...
Swellow and Gorebyss
upload_2014-8-19_8-37-10.png
upload_2014-8-19_8-37-29.png

Previously, you could only use one of these five Pokemon on a team: Vileplume, Feraligatr, Combusken, Seismitoad, and Slurpuff:
Now, you can only use one of these four Pokemon: Feraligatr, Seismitoad, Kangaskhan, Ferroseed. Good luck

Other than that, the same rules as before apply now.

You will have approximately the same amount of time as you did before. I wish you all happy teambuilding. Good luck in Round 4.

Last edited:
First

SWELLOW: Not hard to think of a set. I was considering a CB Scrappy set, but I went for a Toxic Orb Guts set.
GOREBYSS: Not hard to think of a set. Went for a Shell Smash set.
TORTERRA: Team was weak to electric. Went for a CB set.
LICKILICKY: No thinking necessary. Went for a cleric set.
STEELIX: Used this and it wrecked. Went for a SpDef Curse Set
CAMERUPT: He was interesting. Went for a Passho Rock set

Here's the importable:
Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 84 HP / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Torterra @ Choice Band
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Seed

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 124 HP / 132 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Curse
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail

Camerupt @ Passho Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I love this core! I actually made a post about it in the good cores thread, you can find it here. I used this core a lot in the beta stage of nu. im not making this the team im submitting, but heres a team I used that shows off the potential of the core. probopass is a great partner with the core because it:
1. traps ferroseed
2. gives a slow volt switch for swellow to activate its toxic orb and give it free switch ins.
3. probopass attracts grounds types which gorebyss can setup on or kill them.

spike stacking is also really great with this core cuz gorebyss and swellow cause a lot of switches

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

Gorebyss @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Shell Smash

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis

Cryogonal @ Icicle Plate
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Dragalge @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic Spikes

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
scarfed electric-types can revenge swellow and gorebyss with no problems, so torterra was added. cryogonal spins for swellow, and also takes on electric-types pretty well. draglage provides useful resistances and lures ferroseed. rotom. you can probably go physically defensive on draglage if you want to

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- U-turn
- Facade

Gorebyss @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shell Smash
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Healing Wish
- Knock Off

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Return

Needed something to handle electrics, and preferred a poke that wasnt destroyed by hp ice like torterra. Went with Camerupt over lanturn, as both also handle fire spam good enough, while camerupt can also set up rocks and can handle ferroseed. Speed is to outspeed base 50's with a little speed creep for dragalge. Nice to get a fast lava plume on hariyama to get a burn for thick fat varients. Wanted a more defensive spiker so went with physically defensive roselia. Can handle water attacks and is more suited to take on feraligatr. Special defensive ev's guarentee to live a specs draco meteor from dragalge, including rocks damage. Wanted to use mesprit somehow, as healing wish is a great benefit to the 2 set up sweepers provided plus feraligatr. Scarfed physical mesprit allowed me to do so, while providing a potential free switch in for swellow when the opponent expects special mesprit. Healing wish does not activate guts however (aka removes status and does not automatically activate). Protect can be used instead of u-turn to ensure this. Finally, SD Gatr for a 2nd priority user/water sweeper and because it's so good. Pick whatever speed you want for your gatr, I go with enough to outspeed max speed omastar.
Under JerrySanduskybff, got to 1534 and 25th on ladder, so its an ok ladder team if thats your thing

Last edited:
Reactions: MFF
Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 20 SpD / 236 Spe
Calm Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Kangaskhan (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 224 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Electivire @ Lum Berry
Rash Nature
- Focus Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]

smash pass to xatu, gg. I use motor drive on electivire cuz the core is weak to scarf rotom. probopass creates setup opportunities for gorebyss by taunting ferroseed. I know jolly steelix isn't a thing, but I run enough speed on probo to outspeed it, since probopass is usually just fodder to get a free switch into gorebyss anyways. kangaskhan is a backup baton pass recipient. zangoose can be a problem to this team, but you can just run naïve on electivire if you feel like it. electivire has focus punch for audino.

Swellow (F) @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- Protect

Ninetales (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Roar

Gorebyss (F) @ White Herb
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Shell Smash

Cradily (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 54 SpA / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Recover

Armaldo (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Yawn
- Heal Bell
- Stealth Rock

This is the same team that I have been using since NU Beta when I could no longer use doublade. In an attempt to replace doublade I found the mon with the most similar set which was armaldo. Although it was considered bad this set proves armaldo can set up and deal a hard hit or spin hazards if need be and there is no ghost to stop it. Something like this is important with swellow already hitting hard and taking damage from any rocks my opponent can get up. If I can predict the rock setter off the start, armaldo or gorebyss are generally able to handle them quite nicely. I don't run bp on gorebyss but I can use the threat of a bp gorebyss to keep people from taking it to lightly or switching out. Putting bp on it is an option but there r not many great consistent recipients. Signal beam on it's own has proved to have great coverage at nice times as good as HP grass can be. A great assistant to gorebyss setting up is uxie who can yawn spam and force the opponent to take rock damage or send out 1 mon as sleep fodder. It also carries great utility in sr, heal bell, and knock off. Cradily is a nice back up to uxie when it comes to switching in and absorbing special hits. It is also very usefull because as a grass type it won't fall asleep and can switch in on most water/bug sweepers and 1HKO after wp boost. (There r many reasons I run wp but can't go into that here). Finally ninetales works on the team through it's magnificent coverage and ability to roar if it expects a sucker punch or if the enemy is behind a sub and ready to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)