Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am thinking of making balanced OU team, and I would like to ideally have a core that can take care of all relevant OU offensive threats. So, what pokemon can stop the most relevant offensive pokemon by itself, excluding Mega Mawile? Thanks!

Hello,

I am thinking of making balanced OU team, and I would like to ideally have a core that can take care of all relevant OU offensive threats. So, what pokemon can stop the most relevant offensive pokemon by itself, excluding Mega Mawile? Thanks!
Something like Assault Vest Slowbro with Scald (Hydro Pump), Psyshock, thunderbolt, and ice beam can check a lot of the top tier ou pokemon and can form a good regenerator core with Tornadus-T and/or Amoongus.

Who do you guys think is getting suspected next, Charizard X, Thundurus, or Landorus?

The council will wait a few weeks after the potential Mawile ban before making any new suspects, so it's pointless to try and call one before the potential ban, but for the sake of conversation I'll say Thundurus.
Thundurus is very fast, and very powerful, but what makes so good is his ability to neutralise set-up sweepers, like DD Zard X, with Thunder Wave, and also use Thunder Wave to slow certain mons, like Greninja, opening a sweep for some of the slower pokemon, like M-Heracross.

just curious but I kinda want to run a physical SD set with Landorus but since Sheer Force Landorus is the standard, what are some pokes that would outclass Lando in its roll as a SD sweeper/wallbreaker?

You can use Double Boost Landorus-T if you want to. Its generally better than Sword Dance Landorus-I because of intimidate which lets him to setup easier. The moveset is Sword Dance / Rock Polish / EQ / Stone Edge.

just curious but I kinda want to run a physical SD set with Landorus but since Sheer Force Landorus is the standard, what are some pokes that would outclass Lando in its roll as a SD sweeper/wallbreaker?
Latwins will be the first threat "baited" by Physical Landorus-I, if it's what u've asked. RockPolish + KnockOff is usually unexpected. Of course you can use Swords Dance Landorus-I (but Landorus is too slower to sweep, this is the reason why CM Landorus Sheer Force is not strong as it seems) or, better, Double Boost Landorus-I (still outclassed by Therian as Alexander said). You need sand to get a nice n clean OHKO on Chansey. Latias is killed by +2 Stone Edge, Latios too. SDef Gliscor needs SR and Sand Force to be OHKOed by Stone Edge.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sand Force Landorus Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sand: 711-838 (110.7 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Landorus Stone Edge vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Latias: 302-355 (98.3 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Landorus Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 331-391 (109.6 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Sand Force Landorus Stone Edge vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor in Sand: 295-348 (83.8 - 98.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Landorus-T does better tho, it doesnt need LO to shot Latwins w/Stone Edge, SR are enough.

Bronzong could work well as an Excadrill counter. Levitate makes it immune to Earthquake, and Rock Slide and Iron Head are both NVE against Bronzong. Bronzong can easily Earthquake Excadrill and wear it down, and can run gyro ball alongside it to break a potential balloon.
Excadrill ignores abilities and would EQ right past Levitate.

LO Technician on Breloom is actually a standard set and is capable of hitting sickeningly hard. Sash is subpar IMO and Scarf isn't really viable either. Most you see will be LO or Toxic Orb, and Toxic Orb is mainly used by bulkier sets.

Excadrill isn't broken anyway and shouldn't be hammering through your entire team. Just go for burns, pack quick, powerful hitters etc... He really isn't that hard to deal with, although he's definitely a great 'mon in general.
Really? LO is not even listed as an option on the main Breloom thread. Even then, it still can't switch in because Iron Head will do close to 80%. Also Excadrill can just switch out leaving the weakened Breloom there for something to finish off.

If Breloom isn't as strong as i think, then can you please list some more counters other than the 4-5 mons we already listed? And I mean counters as in able to switch in and not take 75% damage in one turn.

Many OU Pokemon have very few counters, Landorus-I for example isn't really, truly hard countered by anything afaik.
Exca's main weakness imo is its slowness. Choice Scarf sets can't switch moves and are somewhat weaker, other sets get revenged by like more than half the stuff on offense.

The ou leaders decide to suspect pokes. These pokes are usually amazingly centralising (aegislash), have amazing power and can possibly sweep a team with little effort (mega lucario), lack proper counters (bw landorus, lucario) or are uncompetitive and unhealthy for the meta (swagger, baton pass).

'Wouldn't brokeness be decided if every team begins using it and the only way to stop it is to use it yourself?'

That is broken but to a ridiculous extent. In bw deoxys-d was banned to ubers when it was in ou. If the poke is very good (and fits certain criteria i mentioned above) then it is broken.
I think that is what doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't having no/few hard counters mean the same as "centralizing"? It can do it's job pretty much all the time and is almost always a safe pick and lead (Lando I). There are also already pokemon that can 6-0 a team if they get 1-2 set up turns or if they take out one counter pokemon. I have swept many teams with 1 SD from my Scizor, Sub Unaware CM Clefable, Dragon Dance Gyarados/Dragonite, +2 Dread Plate Bisharp etc. They all can potentially sweep an entire team needing only 1 turn to do so and it isn't very hard to bring them in. It just doesn't make sense to ban specific things that fall under this category as well, especially if they don't cause weak players to dominate the top of the ladder. If something is in need of being banned, then shouldn't anyone be able to pick it up and start dominating with it? How come no one was able to dominate as hard as denis with BP, how come I can dominate so many scrubs that use Mega Mawile without thinking twice? Shouldn't ban worth Pokemon/Items/Strategies be instant win buttons for a majority of people?

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think that is what doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't having no/few hard counters mean the same as "centralizing"? It can do it's job pretty much all the time and is almost always a safe pick and lead (Lando I). There are also already pokemon that can 6-0 a team if they get 1-2 set up turns or if they take out one counter pokemon. I have swept many teams with 1 SD from my Scizor, Sub Unaware CM Clefable, Dragon Dance Gyarados/Dragonite, +2 Dread Plate Bisharp etc. They all can potentially sweep an entire team needing only 1 turn to do so and it isn't very hard to bring them in. It just doesn't make sense to ban specific things that fall under this category as well, especially if they don't cause weak players to dominate the top of the ladder. If something is in need of being banned, then shouldn't anyone be able to pick it up and start dominating with it? How come no one was able to dominate as hard as denis with BP, how come I can dominate so many scrubs that use Mega Mawile without thinking twice? Shouldn't ban worth Pokemon/Items/Strategies be instant win buttons for a majority of people?
Think about mega mawile, it just needs a bit of support (removal of fast willowisp and chip damage on bulky pokes) to sweep. Other sweepers, like mega scizor, all are much easier to check - most fires can take a bullet punch/knock off, so it needs a more support to be able to sweep. Most of those pokes you have mentioned do have counters and most prepared teams can stop a sweep from them; scizor- faster fire types, cm clef - bisharp/scizor/taunt users, dd's - prankster twave/scarf pokes (garchomp eg), bisharp - anything faster resists sucker punch/quagsire. The difference with mawile is that due to its power it only needs 1 boost to easily tear through a team. Mawile doesnt require as much skill to use as other set up sweepers and doesnt need as much support, although a bad player wont be able to utilise it well enough for a sweep.
Baton pass was an exception - it wasnt one mon, but a team that could deal with every poke in the meta and sweep with lack of skill.
It is hard for a mon to be an instant win button, because most pokes have counters (arguably not xzard/lando-i). The reason why the mon is broken is that they can find ways round counter (ice punch/eq mega luke) and some of the counters are obscure (bw2 lando-i ppl used arcticuno) or sometimes it requires a counter on a team (rotom-w shot up in usage bcus of lando-i.

Remember, no one should let a poke get a free turn of set up (definitely not 2) - the reason why mawile is so good is that it easily finds pokes to set up, that it either walls (latwins) or are scared of getting ko'd.

Anyone have a good offensive partner or two for Agility Mega Amphy? In the infancy of teambuilding right now.
You can find Ampharos's analysis here. The Agility set is the first one listed. From the Team Options paragraph:
Clerics are very helpful, as this set lacks a way to regain health and is easily crippled by poison or a burn. This set can also make use of teammates that can beat special walls, as this set struggles to take them down and is easily stalled out. Any physical attackers, such as Scizor or Terrakion, make great partners. Pokemon such as Keldeo, Landorus, and Bisharp also make great partners, as they can resist Mega Ampharos's weaknesses together, and they each hit Mega Ampharos's threats hard as they switch in. If Mega Ampharos is running Thunder, Politoed can be a good rain inducer to fully maximize its accuracy. To help Mega Ampharos set up by taking less damage, dual screen users and Memento Latios can boost Mega Ampharos's defenses or force switches. Lastly, entry hazard setters such as Landorus-T can be helpful to wear down special walls, giving Mega Ampharos an easier time.
Also, the recommended set is Agility / Thunder(bolt) / Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast with max SpA and Speed with a Modest nature. Thunder if you're using it on a rain team, Thunderbolt if you're not.

Hey why is Azumarril considered S tier?
Crazy attack power, amazing typing, nice priority move, good bulk, multiple fantastic sets, and one of his few counters just got banned (Aegislash, though even Aegis couldn't beat BD Azu as +4 Waterfall still OHKOd through shield form).

Hey guys, I've been away the pkm scene for a while. Is there any thread for teambuilding 101? or just some easiest strategy for starters?
Afaik, there's not really a teambuilding 101 thread, although there is a teambuilding chatroom on Pokemon Showdown. You can also post a partial team here for ideas, or in the RMT section once it's completed.

To get back into the scene, it might be easier to learn the OU metagame using existing teams. There are lots of good teams in the RMT section as well as in http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/team-archive-by-ctc.3513518, although some of the older teams in each can't be used, as a few pokemon have been suspect tested and banned from OU since the teams were made. It might be worth starting with a team like #16 from CTC's thread, as it's very easy to use, matches up fairly well against most teams, and combines two popular and effective playstyles, Sand Offense and Flying-spam.

Anyone have a good offensive partner or two for Agility Mega Amphy? In the infancy of teambuilding right now.
Def Rotom-H handles physical fairies, shrugs off ice and is immune to ground and can pivot in. It also burns things, which helps Amphy's bulk for setting up.

Azumarill is also a good partner for absorbing ice and dragon attacks and killing opposing dragons and ground types. If Rotom-H can paralyse things first, so much the better.

Most people when they want to use Agility Mega Ampharos they use it on a rain team because they can use Thunder in Ampharos' set to use it at the best, so Politoed is your better choice (the set if you don't know is Agility / Thunder / Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast) then you are probably adding Swift Swimmers like Kingdra or Kabutops (or even both), but thats because you are using Rain, not because of Ampharos itself. If you are using Mega Ampharos in rain though, then Ferrothorn is a good choice, it can switch on both dragon and fairy types which Ampharos doesn't really like, it can also setup the Stealth Rock which are helpful in order to have a much easier Ampharos sweep in general.

definitely use a rain team as agility mega ampharos finds its home on rain teams with the thunder set that alexander described. you can run politoed / kabutops / ampharos / omastar / chople ferrothorn / tornadus t as my recommended variant but another similar variant is politoed / kabutops / ampharos / keldeo / ferrothorn / mamoswine. obviously you could go kingdra over keld in that build if you want but then id recommend some insurance outside of rain so something like hwish latias > mega ampharos is nice.

Oh cool, activity on this thread hooray.

Anyway, I'm making a sand team on a cart. My current team members are Specially defensive ttar, Evasion Garchomp, CB Scizor, Mega mawile and Overcoat mandibuzz. However, I have an extra slot which I'm not sure how to fill.
For the time being, I have a Special Sweeper Greninja, but it seems kinda awkward in the team... could someone give me ideas? Note that I don't have access to pokebank, so the pokemon must be available in kalos.
EDIT: fuck man could someone answer this question.

Last edited:

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
Oh cool, activity on this thread hooray.
Anyway, I got two questions to ask:

Firstly, where can I get wifi teams rated?

Next, I'm making a sand team on a cart. My current team members are Specially defensive ttar, Evasion Garchomp, CB Scizor, Mega mawile and Overcoat mandibuzz. However, I have an extra slot which I'm not sure how to fill.
For the time being, I have a Special Sweeper Greninja, but it seems kinda awkward in the team... could someone give me ideas? Note that I don't have access to pokebank, so the pokemon must be available in kalos.
Here's the RMT thread thing: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/rate-my-team.52/ And yeah, the may have a good idea for the last member thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)