XY OU Sash Spam - Balance v2 (Peaked at 1885, #25 on the ladder)

Intro

Hi, everyone. Fortune here bringing you my second RMT. This time I'm bringing you a balanced team I made fairly quickly. It basically revolves around two sashed hard hitters and the rest of the team supporting them. When this team was first created, I had my doubts. It looked very weak on paper and had it's fair share of weaknesses. Regardless I started laddering with it and somehow made it up to 1885 with it. I then posted the first version of this RMT and thanks to your guys' suggestions, it's turned into quite the balanced and reliable squad. Like I said, I made it to 1885 with this team and actually made it to a few tournament finals with it. It's probably my favorite team and best I've ever made so I hope you guys can enjoy it as much as I did.

Anyways, enough of that, here's the team.

Team Preview

I've been wanting to use Crawdaunt for a while. I think it is a really under-appreciated Pokemon. This generation it got many new toys to play with. Crabhammer got a nice buff of 10 base power points, Steel no longer resists Dark, Knock Off got an insane buff, and this little craw fish now has access to the long-coveted priority move in the form of Aqua Jet. It surprises me that this thing is not used enough to be in OU because along with these nice little buffs and the fantastic offensive ability in Adaptability, this thing can hit like a truck and cause major damage to any unprepared team.

Focus Sash spam is one of the best offensive play-styles in the current meta so I decided to just go all out and join together Mamoswine and Crawdaunt making a force of incredibly hard hitting physical attackers. Not many Pokemon can bring these two to a stop when they are almost always granted a second chance to attack. Two very good partners with insane attack stats.

Jirachi's main job is to restore Crawdaunt and Mamoswine's Focus Sashes using Healing Wish although he usually always performs a variety of roles. He can get a lot of momentum on my side with U-Turn and also puts a stop to many of the meta's current major threats that my team would otherwise be weak to. You may be skeptical with all of the nerfs Jirachi has received, but time and time again this little guy proved to be the most valuable member of the team.

None of the team members enjoyed taking strong Fighting type moves and lacked certain coverage moves. I found that Venusaur does a fantastic job of soaking up hits and hitting hard with those nice STABs. This is my mega slot. If you haven't tried Mega Venusaur, I highly suggest it. The thing is just so fun to use as you will often encounter teams that have nothing for this. If you can predict switches and make the right plays, this thing is near unstoppable. The only real counter to this thing is Heatran, which my main core can take care of with ease. Venusuar makes this team very synergistic.

To fully exploit the true power of Mamoswine, I will need another Stealth Rocker to grant Mamoswine another offensive moveslot. I found Heatran works great for this role as it has the best defensive typing we've seen so far and it can take care of many common threats to this team. Interesting to note, it completes the Fire-Water-Grass core as well as the widely acclaimed VenuTran core. This in conjunction with Venusaur allows me to take on many of the most potent offensive threats the metagame has to offer. A very solid and reliable monster.

Zapdos is an interesting mon. It is kind of the safety net of this team. Not only does it take care of Pinsir, which this team is mildly weak to, but it can absorb almost any physical attack. Zapdos has the responsibility of Defogging which is a must on all Sash Spam teams. He is quite a reliable one at that. This thing seems to always come up in the clutch when my team needs it most.

Movesets and Analyses

Crawdaunt @
Ability: Adaptability
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Swords Dance | Aqua Jet | Crabhammer | Knock Off

--

The powerful monster on which this team was built around. I suppose you could call him the... star of the team. As mentioned above, this thing got quite a few nice buffs this generation making him a very potent threat that many people do not expect or prepare for. This thing absolutely destroys stall with the click of any move. It can set up and just destroy anything not by the name of Quagsire. It carries Knock Off to reduce the defensive prowess of Eviolite carriers and is just an all around great move. Adaptability makes both of Crawdaunt's STABs essentially 200 base power so not many things can stop this. As you can see, I opted to run SD Crawdaunt over Dragon Dance because DDaunt is just not very good. Very overrated in my opinion. DDaunt requires you to sacrifice Crawdaunt's very respectable bulk and power, and for what? To outspeed Modest Greninja by 1 point? Just not worth it.

Mamoswine @
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ice Shard | Earthquake | Icicle Spear | Endeavor

--

The second sashed monster. Like I said in the building process, this thing has one of the best offensive typings the tier. Unlike Crawdaunt, this thing is immune to all weather damage making him a very unique Sash holder. With Heatran taking the responsibility of setting up rocks, Mamo has free rein to run an all-out offensive moveset. I am running Icicle Spear over Crash because I don't want to ruin my sash with, say, Rough Skin damage. Admittedly, there are times when I wish I had Icicle Crash over Spear *cough, OU room tour final, cough*, but it is overall a better choice. I originally had Freeze Dry over Endeavor but I realized FD it is just too weak to do anything without a Life Orb. Thank you Livio for the suggestion. Endeavor can do a number to unprepared teams and things that would otherwise wall it. Ice Shard is a must on Mamoswine, as it can take out many faster threats and can OHKO almost all of the x4 ice weak Pokemon (hint: there are a lot).

Jirachi @
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Healing Wish | Iron Head | Zen Headbutt | U-Turn

--

This spot on the team was originally held by Latias but she proved to be mediocre at best. It just opened up more weaknesses to the team and was only valued for it's speed, ability to restore sashes, and decent offensive typing. Thanks to Hjwang, I realized scarfed Jirachi would perform Latias's role much better. Not only can it do Lati's job of getting Mamo and Daunt back to full HP, but it also gives me safe switches into things like Lati@s, M-Gardevoir, and Kyurem-B's Ice Beam. It's speed and offensive typing are great against things like Megacham, M-Heracross, and Starmie. After adding this to the team, the squad's synergy was boosted exponentially and Rachi has proved to be one of the most reliable and important members of the team. Just a fantastic mon (at least on this team).

Venusaur @
Ability: Chlorophyll --> Thick Fat
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpA / 20 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Synthesis | Giga Drain | Sludge Bomb | HP Fire

--

This thing is basically my check to Fighting types and things like Azumarill. Not much can touch this thing considering it has two forms of semi-reliable recovery. This thing is the definition of a tank. It can take one of almost any hit (including Psyshocks from the likes of M-Gardevoir) and retaliate with some of the most powerful special attacks in the game. Many teams cannot touch Mega Venusuar and after a few checks are removed, this thing can just sweep. It's crazy in theory but this thing is fully capable of doing it. I run HP Fire on him because after Heatran goes down, there isn't too much I can do to things like Ferrothorn and Scizor. The 20 Speed EVs allow you to be faster than max speed Adamant Azumarill.

Heatran @
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid (+SpD, -Atk)
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Stealth Rock | Will-O-Wisp | Flamethrower | Earth Power

--

Heatran undeniably has the best defensive typing in the metagame. In combination with Venusaur, many common offensive threats are neutralized. Heatran's job is to soak up hits and retaliate by setting up Stealth Rock or getting a much needed burn on something. This makes him a very valuable team member. As pointed out by Jacks0n, a Heatran on this team is forced to run an offensive/speedy build. This allows it to outpace and kill a max speed Mega Heracross, which can always do a number to my team. Mega Heracross is also the reason this carries a balloon. If it touches the ground while Sticky Web is up, there is a good chance M-Hera sweeps my team. I also run Flamethrower over Fire Blast just for accuracy's sake while the power of Lava Plume just wasn't enough. This Heatran was built to take on Heracross and Flamethrower is the move which lets me kill it most often. This set can also takes care of common threats such as max speed Bisharp and more.
252 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Heracross: 252-296 (83.7 - 98.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

compared to...
252 SpA Heatran Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Heracross: 282-332 (93.6 - 110.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I know the difference of 75% and 100% isn't much but the impact of potentially missing out an OHKO would be too great.​

Zapdos @
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
Defog | Roost | Discharge | HP Ice

--

This thing is my Pinsir check along with just a great physical defender. Not much can touch this thing on the physical spectrum without being popped with a Discharge or HP Ice. More importantly however, this thing is my Defogger which allows me to preserve the Focus Sashes of Mamoswine and Crawdaunt. 16 Speed is to outpace Adamant Bisharp.

Conclusion/Some Other Stuff
Rotom-H

Although uncommon, Rotom-H is a big threat to this team--especially bulky variants. Not many things on my team can touch it, but the combination of Crawdaunt and Venusaur is usually enough to take this thing out by hitting it hard on both defenses. Under sun, this thing can cause my team a lot of damage before it is taken out.

Mega Heracross

Mega Heracross is a huge threat to this team. It has the potential to get a kill every time it comes in. It forces me to play around with getting certain Pokemon in on resisted attacks. The only ways I can kill this is with either Heatran or Jirachi. If Sticky Web is up, Jirachi is dead, and Heatran's balloon is broken, it's a wrap. To be fair, not many teams can handle this monster, but this team is no exception.

shouts to anyone who gave me support along my journey, namely my boys pikachucandy and scarfed raptor, aka sucker lunch. a huge thank you to anyone who contributed to the teams finalization (not quite there yet), especially hjwang. also shout outs to all those salty players i haxed out of a win for those yummy points to get to 1885 LOL

I laddered up under the alt 'watch me tilt'.

Crawdaunt (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Healing Wish
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn

Mamoswine (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Endeavor
- Earthquake

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Defog
- Roost
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ok, guys. I hope you have enjoyed reading my RMT, and have an even better time using it. I am open to any of your suggestions and I will always test them out. Peace out :]

"this squad is too real to lose" -- lil "based god" b

Last edited:
Hey Fortune, I battled you several times on the ladder, and I must say this is a great team. However, you did lose to my sticky web team easily, due to Mega Heracross and Mamoswine doing work to this team. I would suggest running Scarfed Healing Wish Jirachi > Latias.
This lets you take on Mega Gardevoir better and also helps beat Mamoswine and Heracross, even with sticky web up, also helps preserve focus sashes and such. I hope this helps!

Set
Jirachi@ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Healing Wish
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn/Ice Punch/Coverage

Last edited:
Hey Fortune, I battled you several times on the ladder, and I must say this is a great team. However, you did lose to my sticky web team easily, due to Mega Heracross and Mamoswine doing work to this team. I would suggest running Scarfed Healing Wish Jirachi > Latias.
This lets you take on Mega Gardevoir better and also helps beat Mamoswine and Heracross, even with sticky web up, also helps preserve focus sashes and such. I hope this helps!

Set
Jirachi
Jolly Nature
- Healing Wish
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn/Ice Punch/Coverage
[Hide/]
yea hera under web fucks my team real good. thanks for the suggestion! it looks really good, i'll be sure to try it out!

PokèManiac Livio

Un panino al salame
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi there Fortune, gratz on peak, focus sash spam is not my favourite Offense playstyle but it seems work well in this metagame. I think that the team is really nice and has a good synergy too, so i ll give you only some suggestion about your pokemon sets. First off, you told that Zapdos is your Garchomp/Pinsir/Dragonite check, all Physical attacker mons, this means you need a pokemon that can take better those kind of attacks, so my first suggestion is to change its EVs spread in one of 252HP/160Def/96Spd Bold Nature. In this way you can avoid the 2hoko by Pinsir s Return when you have Stealth Rock on the field, while the speed allows Zapdos to outspeed Dragonite and win the 1v1 even with the CB set when multiscale is broken.
Also your tanks are a bit slow for their common threats, Venusaur for example should run 60EVs in speed due to outspeed Adamant Azumarill, Mawile and CroCune and win easily the 1v1, same thing for Heatran, that need to run 40Evs in speed to pass Azumarill and Mawile, a lot useful when you run Will-o-Wisp on it.

Last thing, Freezy dry on sash Mamoswine is not the best choice because it doesn t perform its job as it should do. You have 2 way to play Mamoswine, Life Orb with Freezy Dry that can OHKO Quagsire and 2HKO Rotom-W with Rocks up, or Endeavor abusing of your Focus Sash, it works well in combo with Ice Shard especially when you have to revengekill some hard Setup pokemon that doesn t OHKO you because of Focus Sash, the above mentioned Gyarados over all (Flinch a part lol). Obviously you have to run Jolly Nature in order to outspeed Jolly SashLoom, Dragonite without the speed tie, Jolly Bisharp and so on.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

--->60Spd
---->40Spd

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Endeavor

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
Hey Fortune, solid team! I can see a few improvements though that would help the overall function. First of all i see a devastating weakness to mega heracross, it can literally beat youre whole team 1 v 1. To fix that I advize changing tran to offensive to be able to outspeed mega cross and KO it with a fire blast.

Heatran @
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Stealth Rock | Fire Blast | Toxic | Earth Power (or protect)

This heatran is really speedy, and outspeeds things like sash lead adamant mamo which feel free to stealth rock. It also outspeeds the hell dangerous mega heracross, which will feel free to lead before being KO'd by a fire blast. You will still be weak to mega heracross, but if you're lucky you can get rid of it early game. The missing sp.defence doesn't affect you too much because the Lati's arent that big of a problem for you at all.

You should definately give zapdos 16 speed EVs to outspeeed adamant bisharp as well as giving mvenu 20 speed EVs to outspeed max speed adamant azumarill.

Attachments

Last edited:
hi guys. quick update. i'm currently away from home (and will be for the next week or so) which really limits the availability of computers and time to test out suggestions. i found some time to test endeavor mamo on the squad and it seems to work very well. i promise i will get to all suggestions to make this team even better, you just have to be patient. thanks.

edit: just updated the team building process for jirachi and brought some of the team member's analyses up to date.

Last edited:
What's up buddy! ^__^ very nice team overall. My only nitpick is that you don't really have a general-purpose pivot. What I'm saying is that there's nothing like Rotom-W, Lando-T, Cresselia, Amoonguss, Slowbro, Skarmory, Ferrothorn etc where you can throw it out in most situations to sponge a hit. You have VenuTran which I find is great mid/late game once you find out your opponents sets but I think a general purpose pivot would help this team out some.Trouble is, I don't know really know what to remove because the team is very synergistic.

I guess what I'm trying to say that I feel that you should consider "a middle man" that you can use to take hits when you don't want to toss out Venu or Tran. Zapdos is weak to Stealth Rock so it's abilities of functioning as middle man are limited despite it's decent bulk. Excellent team overall and congratulations on the peak ^__^.

I'll update this post with more suggestions if I can figure something out that's more specific.

ok, using my bump because i have rewritten the entire rmt so it should be much more appealing to the eye. all changes have been pretty much finalized and i highly recommend just trying this team because it is very solid now.

thanks for all the help everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)