NU Pyroar

Overview
########
Pyroar is a very threatening special attacker in NU; its base 106 Speed allows it to outspeed the majority of the metagame, and it can hit very hard thanks to its good Special Attack and powerful moves. Pyroar's Normal typing makes it the best offensive check in the tier to Ghost-types, such as Mismagius, and gives it a strong secondary STAB move that can hit a lot of Pokemon that resist Fire-type moves for neutral damage. Pyroar also has the room to run some neat support moves such as Taunt and Will-O-Wisp on its sets, and its ability, Unnerve, can stop Berry users such as Slurpuff. However, Pyroar is quite frail, and common priority moves such as Mach Punch and Aqua Jet KO it with ease; this is further compounded by its weakness to Stealth Rock, making it extremely easy to check. It also struggles to differentiate itself from other Fire-type attackers such as Typhlosion, over which it only has its access to a Normal-type STAB move.

Special Attacker
########
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Flamethrower
ability: Unnerve
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Fire Blast is Pyroar's main STAB move and hits everything that doesn't resist it very hard. Hyper Voice is its secondary STAB move, complementing Fire Blast by hitting Water- and Dragon-types, which are usually switched into Fire-types, very hard. Hidden Power Grass is chosen in the third slot, as it smacks Rhydon and Kabutops really hard; it also hits Seismitoad on the switch. However, you should be careful when using this move, especially if you are running Choice Specs, because being locked into this move can give your opponent setup opportunities. Will-O-Wisp is the move that should be used in the last slot if Pyroar is using Life Orb, as it cripples common switch-ins to Fire-types such as Hariyama and Rhydon and provides Pyroar with a way of hitting Sucker Punch users before they heavily damage it. It also greatly wears down some checks to Pyroar that have no reliable recovery and do not appreciate taking residual damage, such as Dragalge. Flamethrower should be used with Choice Specs, as it can be quite useful as a reliable Fire-type STAB move thanks to its perfect accuracy.

Set Details
========

Special Attack and Speed are maximized to get the most of Pyroar's offensive capabilities; the leftover EVs are put into Defense to reduce Stealth Rock damage.
Life Orb is the main item on this set, giving Pyroar a sizable power boost. While it wears down Pyroar a bit faster than Choice Specs, it allows Pyroar not to switch out as often. Choice Specs another great option, as it doesn't deal recoil damage; furthermore, Pyroar uses Fire Blast most of the time, making the ability to switch moves unneeded. Unnerve is the ability of choice, as Moxie is completely useless because Pyroar doesn't have usable physical moves, while Rivalry is very unreliable. It can also come handy to stop Slurpuff's Unburden from activating, as well as preventing Occa Berries from working.

Usage Tips
========

Pyroar is a decent switch-in to Ghost-types such as Mismagius thanks to its immunities to Will-O-Wisp and Ghost-type moves; once you switch Pyroar in, it can start firing off powerful attacks. Just spam Pyroar's STAB moves or try to hit an incoming Rock-type or Hariyama with Will-O-Wisp. Be careful of getting locking into Hidden Power Grass when using Choice Specs, as Pyroar can be rendered setup fodder.

Team Options
========

Because most of Pyroar's switch-ins are grounded and do not have reliable recovery, entry hazard setters make for good partners. Crustle is one of the best entry hazard leads on hyper offensive teams and can easily set up Stealth Rock and Spikes. Rampardos is another decent partner, being able to almost always set up Stealth Rock while stopping entry hazard leads such as Crustle; it also has the ability to weaken Rock-types trying to switch into its Rock-type STAB moves with Earthquake or Superpower, making them susceptible to Pyroar's attacks. On more balanced teams, Ferroseed and Roselia can set up entry hazards on Water-types, which check Pyroar. Rapid Spin support is very helpful for Pyroar, as it lets it switch in multiple times. Sandslash and Cryogonal both have decent synergy with Pyroar offensively and defensively; as such, they are good choices for teammates. Switch-ins to the Water-types that check Pyroar are good partners; good examples of those for offensive teams are Sceptile, Lilligant, and Dragalge. Feraligatr and Samurott appreciate Water-types being weakened by Hyper Voice, so they make for good partners. They also get a setup opportunity if Pyroar is KOed by a Rock-type. Bulky Ground- and Water-types such as Seismitoad and Rhydon can check Rock-types and set up Stealth Rock or scare them out. Pokemon that are checked by Mismagius, such as Mesprit, are also decent partners, as Pyroar is a stellar switch-in to it and can proceed to put a lot of offensive pressure on the opposing team.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Flamethrower / Overheat
move 2: Fire Blast / Overheat
move 3: Hyper Voice
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Endeavor
item: Choice Scarf

Moves
========

Flamethrower is a reliable Fire-type STAB move, hitting Pokemon that do not resist it decently hard. Fire Blast has immediate power and does not force Pyroar out, so it is chosen for the second slot. However, Overheat can be used in the first two slots, as it is extremely powerful, and unlike Fire Blast, it always OHKOes Slurpuff at 75% health, as well as +1 Lilligant without any prior damage. Hyper Voice is a moderately strong secondary STAB move, hitting most Pokemon that resist Fire-type moves, such as Water- and Fire-types, for neutral damage. Hidden Power Grass hits Barbaracle for super effective damage, which is quite important due to Choice Scarf Pyroar being one of the few Pokemon that still outspeed it even after it has boosted. It can also be used to hit other Rock-types such as Rhydon, Carracosta, and Kabutops on the switch. Endeavor can leave a big dent into Pyroar's checks if it has taken some damage, which can help put something into priority range or just take it out with Toxic Spikes support. However, use it only if your team has other ways to get around Barbaracle.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed investment is used for maximum offensive prowess and to let Pyroar revenge kill as many things as possible. Unnerve is Pyroar's best ability and can be useful to stop Slurpuff from activating Unburden; it also nullifies Occa Berries.

Usage Tips
========

Generally, Pyroar should just use the strongest move against its target; however, be careful when picking a move, as being locked into Overheat and Hidden Power Grass can be quite dangerous if the opponent has a setup sweeper such as Feraligatr or Bouffalant. If Pyroar carries Overheat, it can revenge kill Slurpuff even if it has set up. Be careful while switching into Lilligant if Sleep Clause is not active, as Sleep Powder can stop revenge killing attempts. Pyroar is also a decent check to Klinklang, as it can live a +1 Return with Stealth Rock up if Klinklang is not using Life Orb, even surviving a Life Orb Return if Stealth Rock is not on the field.

Team Options
========

Grass- and Dragon-types such as Dragalge and Sceptile are good partners, as they can deal with bulky Water-types, which easily wall Choice Scarf Pyroar. Bulky Ground-types such as Seismitoad are excellent checks to Rock-types and can set up Stealth Rock to weaken the opposing team. Sandslash appreciates Pyroar forcing out Grass-types and can use Rapid Spin to remove entry hazards on your side of the field, granting Pyroar more opportunities to switch in. Spikes support is nice to have, with the switches Pyroar tends to force. Good Pokemon for the job are Roselia and Ferroseed if Pyroar is used on more balanced teams, and Crustle if it is used in more offensive ones. Cryogonal is another decent partner, being able to threaten Water-types such as Seismitoad with Freeze-Dry, while alsoproviding Rapid Spin support. Wallbreakers such as Sawk also help this set greatly, threatening special walls that wall Pyroar and forcing anything that wants to come in to take massive damage from a coverage move. Pokemon that are checked by Mismagius, such as Mesprit, are also decent partners, as Pyroar can easily switch into Mismagius and can proceed to put a lot of offensive pressure on the opposing team.

Other Options
########

Pyroar can effectively use Solar Beam, either with a Sunny Day set in a sun team or with a Power Herb. However, Pyroar doesn't offer any particular benefits to sun teams, and Life Orb Hidden Power Grass gets most of the KOs Solar Beam gets and can be used more than once and out of sun. Pyroar is also an effective Substitute user and can use a Substitute + 3 attacks set with Expert Belt or a Substitute + Endeavor set. Expert Belt is another item that can be used, as it lets Pyroar bluff a Choice set and hit the switch-in very hard. Taunt is a legitimate option too, as it lets Pyroar stop some entry hazard setters and Defog users. Dark Pulse is the only other coverage move Pyroar gets, but it is useless most of the time, as its only target is the rare Lampent. Finally, a physical Moxie set might look tempting, but Pyroar has no good Fire-type physical STAB move and has a very mediocre Attack stat.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Fire-types**: Specially defensive Flareon is one of the best counters to Pyroar, as it can take most hits from Pyroar very well and stall it out with Wish + Protect. Camerupt can also take most hits from Pyroar and set up Stealth Rock or just KO it with Earthquake. Lampent resists every move Pyroar usually carries and can set up Calm Mind or Trick Room on it.

**Bulky Water-types**: Seismitoad can take most hits from Pyroar other than Hidden Power Grass, threaten it out, and set up Stealth Rock, but it doesn't have reliable recovery and can't take Hyper Voice too well. Lanturn can also take some hits and gain momentum with Volt Switch or 2HKO Pyroar with Scald.

**Rock-types**: Rhydon and Regirock can take most hits, but they fear Will-O-Wisp and Hidden Power Grass. Archeops outspeeds Pyroar, takes neutral damage from Hidden Power Grass, and OHKOes Pyroar with Stone Edge or Earthquake.

**Faster Pokemon and Priority Users**: Faster Pokemon, such as Sceptile and Tauros, and Choice Scarf users, such as Mesprit and Sawk, can deal a lot of damage or just straight out KO Pyroar before it can fire off a hit, making them decent checks. Priority users such as Gurdurr, Kabutops, and Feraligatr can pick Pyroar off with Mach Punch and Aqua Jet, respectively.

**Special Walls**: Dragalge and Audino can take most of the hits Pyroar fires off, especially from the Choice Scarf set, and are good pivots in general.

**Residual Damage**: Entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock, are a great way to pressure Pyroar, as it is forced out quite easily. It also commonly carries Life Orb, reducing its lifespan considerably.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay so this is obviously still in WIP stage but you should definitely add Scarf because it's a great revenge killer, one of Lion's best sets, etc. The order should be LO > Scarf > Specs imo (you probably know the moves for Scarf).

Speaking of which does Specs really do anything that LO doesn't? LO is just so much more versatile in general and afaik the power difference is kind of negligible. Most of the time if I wanted a Specs Fire-type I would use Typhlosion because of Eruption + Blaze. I'm kind of inclined to reject it unless someone has a good reason. Thoughts?

Reactions: g

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Yeah Specs seems very redundant when you have the versatility of Life Orb / Flame Plate while still having comparable amounts of power, and can run moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Substitute, and Endeavor.

I added specs because its still a good set and sg likes it but w/e
I'll add scarf in any case (and sub endeavor)

I think this is ready for QC.
Choice Specs is a WIP atm as idk if I should add it and some QC members were unsure too

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I like Choice Specs Pyroar because its moves are easy to spam, you do more damage, and it has better things to do that staying in on Kangaskhan / Pawniard / Spiritomb (only Sucker Punch user that I get burning is nice?)/ Liepard (speed tie, it might Knock Off or Thunder Wave who knows). I also really don't see how burning Rock-types switching in on Pyroar is amazing when you should be able to 2HKO most of them with Hidden Power Grass with Life Orb too. The only Rock-type that I can think of that won't be 2HKOed is Regirock (which isn't really common), which Pyroar won't beat even if it burns it as they carry Thunder Wave often too. Life Orb also puts Pyroar on a timer, and when you add entry hazards damage too, Pyroar won't stay alive as long as you would want it to.

Dat Blast Punchshroom galbia

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I like Choice Specs Pyroar because its moves are easy to spam, you do more damage, and it has better things to do that staying in on Kangaskhan / Pawniard / Spiritomb (only Sucker Punch user that I get burning is nice?)/ Liepard (speed tie, it might Knock Off or Thunder Wave who knows). I also really don't see how burning Rock-types switching in on Pyroar is amazing when you should be able to 2HKO most of them with Hidden Power Grass with Life Orb too. The only Rock-type that I can think of that won't be 2HKOed is Regirock (which isn't really common), which Pyroar won't beat even if it burns it as they carry Thunder Wave often too. Life Orb also puts Pyroar on a timer, and when you add entry hazards damage too, Pyroar won't stay alive as long as you would want it to.
LO cutting Pyroar's health does kind of suck, but with Will-O-Wisp Pyroar can effectively dodge Sucker Punches and wear down switch-ins. Burning Rock-types is nice, but that isn't Wisps's primary purpose. WoW's purpose is to soften up counters like Lanturn, Thick Fat Hariyama, Audino / Lickilicky, and Dragalge, crippling them in such a way that burn damage + neutral LO attacks will quickly take their toll on them, as well as increasing the odds of a 2HKO on the switchin; this already makes up for the loss in power compared to the Specs set. Wisp doesn't even cost LO recoil, and the burn would prompt a Heal Bell from Lanturn and the pink blobs instead of trying to gain momentum with Volt Switch or Wish, making it easier for Pyroar's teammates to switch in on them. You say that hazards are a problem for LO Pyroar, but isn't that even more so for Specs Pyroar? I think I agree with galbia's suggestion to simply merge the two sets.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • Hyper Voice is a moderately strong secondary STAB and hits Fire Blast resistances for super effective damage
I don't understand this statement. How can Hyper Voice hit Fire Blast's resistances super effectively if its Normal-type, thus hitting nothing super effectively? Also it is resisted by Rock-types like Rhydon, Kabutops and Barbaracle anyway.
  • Hidden Power Grass hits Barbaracle for super effective damage
This hits more than just Barbaracle super effectively. Its main purpose is for hitting Rock-types in general, the most notable of which being the aforementioned Rhydon, Kabutops and Barbaracle due to their 4x weakness.

This hits more than just Barbaracle super effectively. Its main purpose is for hitting Rock-types in general, the most notable of which being the aforementioned Rhydon, Kabutops and Barbaracle due to their 4x weakness.
i mentioned barbaracle because it is one of the few choice scarf users who can outspeed it. you also need to hit rhydon on the switch to 2hko anyway

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
rawr

Overview
  • Mention its SR weakness as a con too, and that it faces competition from Typhlosion (as well as the differences / advantages are between the two)
Special Attacker
  • Mention what Flamethrower does as well if running Specs. Also Unnerve in Set Details
  • HP Grass is also for Toad and WoW is also useful for Thick Fat Hariyama / Sucker Punch / walls in general
Scarf
  • Hyper Voice doesn't hit anything SE
  • Usage Tips need more detail on revenge killing because it's pretty much what Scarf Pyroar does best lol
  • TO needs a lot of work, the only thing you mention is Water checks. This Pyroar needs a lot more support in breaking down walls since it's so much weaker + Choice locked so make note of that. It also needs Rock checks even more than the offensive set for similar reasons.
Other Options
  • Remove Specs
  • Add Sub + 3 attacks, Ebelt, Power Herb Solar Beam, and Taunt
Checks and Counters
  • Mention more checks. Priority from Gatr and Gurdurr is a good way to force it out, faster Pokemon can RK it due to its frailty, SR is a good way to pressure its switchins, walls like Audino and Dragalge, etc etc etc
In general, the analysis needs more detail, most of the sections are pretty short and don't list many non-obvious things. Tag me back when you're done with this and I'll look it over again galbia

Choice Scarf set
  • I think you forgot to change the fact you mentioned HP Grass was for Barbaracle, because it actually hits many pokemon for super effective damage on the switch.(You made this change in the first set, but not the other. In both cases, it's the same reasoning for HP Grass.)
  • Set Details says 'Maximum Attack' instead of Special Attack.

Life Orb/Specs set and Choice Scarf
  • Personally, I don't feel Flamethrower and Fire Blast need to take up two move slots. If you're running Scarf, you switch in and use an overheat/fire blast to revenge kill(or overheat/flamethrower for accuracy). IMO, Pyroar shouldn't be staying in for long periods of time(particularly on scarf), but remain a constant threat to the opposition throughout. If you're running specs or scarf, two fire moves are mostly redundant really due to lack of move switching.
  • Not sure if anyone else would consider slashing it onto moves, but I always use Dark Pulse to threaten any ghost type that might come in. Especially Lampent, because that could come in on any move you have listed in both sets. Without Dark Pulse, you only have HP Grass to hit it with, which does nothing noteworthy.
  • In the Life Orb/Specs set, I'd personally slash Dark Pulse(not flamethrower) with WoW, but the QC team might have other ideas. Otherwise, I think mentioning Stealth Rock support from teammates can somewhat make up for it, because that makes fire types think twice about switching in on Pyroar. Again, I'm not a QC, but I think it's worth mentioning to check opposing fire types specifically.
  • I consider Dark Pulse a standard option(if not always used), which should be mentioned in Moves for all the sets, rather than OO. Again, QC might have other ideas.

Choice Scarf set
  • I think you forgot to change the fact you mentioned HP Grass was for Barbaracle, because it actually hits many pokemon for super effective damage on the switch.(You made this change in the first set, but not the other. In both cases, it's the same reasoning for HP Grass.)
  • Set Details says 'Maximum Attack' instead of Special Attack.

Life Orb/Specs set and Choice Scarf
  • Personally, I don't feel Flamethrower and Fire Blast need to take up two move slots. If you're running Scarf, you switch in and use an overheat/fire blast to revenge kill(or overheat/flamethrower for accuracy). IMO, Pyroar shouldn't be staying in for long periods of time(particularly on scarf), but remain a constant threat to the opposition throughout. If you're running specs or scarf, two fire moves are mostly redundant really due to lack of move switching.
  • Not sure if anyone else would consider slashing it onto moves, but I always use Dark Pulse to threaten any ghost type that might come in. Especially Lampent, because that could come in on any move you have listed in both sets. Without Dark Pulse, you only have HP Grass to hit it with, which does nothing noteworthy.
  • In the Life Orb/Specs set, I'd personally slash Dark Pulse(not flamethrower) with WoW, but the QC team might have other ideas. Otherwise, I think mentioning Stealth Rock support from teammates can somewhat make up for it, because that makes fire types think twice about switching in on Pyroar. Again, I'm not a QC, but I think it's worth mentioning to check opposing fire types specifically.
  • I consider Dark Pulse a standard option(if not always used), which should be mentioned in Moves for all the sets, rather than OO. Again, QC might have other ideas.
STAB Fire Blast is stronger than supereffective Dark Pulse who only hits Lampent which is not relevant at all lol

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Add some entry hazard setters in both team options, spinners for LO/Specs, and in general more things (Pyroar shits on Mismagius, so maybe mention teammates can support it and that likes Pyroar's utility).

do that and QC 1/3

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In the overview when talking about how it faces competition from Typhlosion, mention how it has a normal STAB to differentiate itself from Typhlosion, while Typhlosion has Eruption + Blaze over Pyroar.

otherwise looks good

QC 3/3

Reactions: g

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########
Pyroar is a very threatening special attacker in the NU metagame. It is quite fast and; its base 106 Speed allows it to outspeeds the mayjority of the metagame with its 106 Speed stat, and can hit very hard thanks to its good Special Attack and high poweredful moves. Pyroar's nNormal typing makes it very interesting making it the best offensive check in the tier to Ghost-types, such as Mismagius, and gives it a strong secondary STAB move that can hit a lot of FirePokemon that resistanc Fire-type moves for neutral damage. Pyroar also has the room to run some neat support moves on its sets such as Taunt and Will-O-Wisp on its sets such as, and its ability, Unnerve, actually has some use in, stopping bBerriesy users such as Slurpuff. However, Pyroar is quite frail, it is weak toand common priority moves such as Mach Punch and Aqua Jet KO it with ease; this is further compounded by its weakness to Stealth Rock, making it quiteextremely easy to check. It also struggles to differentiate itself from other Fire-type attackers such as Typhlosion, over which it only has its access to a Normal-type STAB move.

Special Attacker
########
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Flamethrower
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs

Moves
========

Fire Blast is Pyroar's main STAB move thand it hits everything that doesn't resist it very hard. Hyper Voice is its secondary STAB and itmove, complements decently withing Fire Blast by hitting Water- and Dragon-types that, which are usually switched into Fire-types, very hard. Hidden Power Grass is chosen in the third slot, as it smacks Rhydon and Kabutops really hard as well a; it also hits Seismitoad on the switch. However, you should be careful when using this move, especially if you are running Choice Specs, because being locked into this move as it can give your opponent setup opportunities. Will-O-Wisp is the move cthat should be usend in the last slot if Pyroar is using Life Orb, ands it beats common switch -ins to Fire-types like Hariyama and Rhydon, and givprovides Pyroar with a way of hitting Sucker Punch users before they hiteavily damage it too hard. It also greatly wears down some checks liketo Pyroar, such as Dragalge who, that have no recovery and do not appre very annoyed by theciate taking residual damage. Flamethrower should be used with Choice Specs, as it can be quite useful as a reliable Fire-type STAB move thanks to its perfect accuracy.

Set Details
========

Special Attack and Speed are maximised to get the out theof most of Pyroar's offensive capabilities and; the Lleftover EVs are put into Defense to reduce Stealth Rock damage.
Life Orb is the main item on this set as it, givesing Pyroar a sizable power boost and the freedom to switch moves. While it wears down Pyroar a bit faster than Choice Specs it means that Pyroar doesn't need to switch out as often. Choice Specs another great option as it doesn't givedeal recoil andamage; furthermore, Pyroar aims to uses Fire Blast most of the time, making the ability to switch moves unneeded. Unnerve is the ability of choice, as Moxie is completely usefuless because Pyroar doesn't have physical moves and, while Rivalry is very unreliable. It can also come handy to stop Slurpuff's Unburden from activating, as well as randompreventing Occa bBerries from working.

Usage Tips
========

Pyroar is a decent switch -in forto Ghost-type Pokemon likes such as Mismagius thanks to its immunities to Will-O-Wisp and Ghost immunity and-type moves; once you switch in you can start firing off powerful attacks. Just spam your STAB moves or try to hit an incoming Rock-type or Hariyama with Will-O-Wisp. Be careful of getting locking into Hidden Power Grass when using Choice Specs, as you can be usrendered as setup fodder.

Team Options
========

Because most of Pyroar's switch -ins are grounded and do not have reliable recovery, entry hazards setters aremake for good partners. Crustle is one of the best lead entry hazards setter leads on hyper offensive teams, and can easily set up Stealth Rock and Spikes. Rampardos is another decent partner, being as it canble to almost guaranteealways set up Stealth Rock going up, can stopping entry hazards leads such as Crustle, and canhaving the ability to weaken Rock-types trying to switch into its Rock-type STAB moves with Earthquake or Superpower, making them more pronsusceptible to Pyroar's attacks. On more balanced teams, Ferroseed and Roselia can set up entry hazards on the Water-types that, which check Pyroar. Rapid Spin support is very helpful for Pyroar, as it lettings it switch in multiple times. Sandslash and Cryogonal both have decent synergy with Pyroar offensively and defensively; ands such, thusey are good choices for teammates. Switch -ins to the Water types that check Pyroar are good partners,; good examples of those for offensive teams are Sceptile, Lilligant, and Dragalge. Feraligatr and Samurott appreciate Water-types being weakened by Hyper Voice, so they make for good partners. They also get a set up opportunity if Pyroar is KOed by a Rock-type Pokemon. Bulky Ground- and Water-types such as Seismitoad and Rhydon can check Rock-types and set up Stealth Rock or scare them out. Pokemon that are checked by Mismagius, such as Mesprit, are alsother decent partners, as Pyroar is a stellar switch into it and can put a lot of offensive pressure on the opposing team.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Flamethrower / Overheat
move 2: Fire Blast / Overheat
move 3: Hyper Voice
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Endeavor
item: Choice Scarf

Moves
========

Flamethrower is a reliable Fire-type STAB move, and hits Pokemon neutral tothat do not resist it decently hard. Fire Blast has immediate power butand doesn't require to switch not force Pyroar out, so it is chosen for the second slot. However, Overheat can also be used in the first two slots, as it hais even higherxtremely powerful, and unlike Fire Blast, it always OHKOes 75% Slurpuff at 75% health and +1 Lilligant without Stealth Rock damage. Hyper Voice is a moderately strong secondary STAB andmove, hitsting most Fire BlasPokemon that resistanc Fire-type moves, such as Water- and Fire-types, for neutral damage. Hidden Power Grass hits Barbaracle for super effective damage, and it is quite important asdue to Choice Scarf Pyroar isbeing one of the few Pokemon that still outspeed it even after a Shell Smashit has boosted. It can also be used to hit other Rock-type Pokemons such as Rhydon, Carracosta, and Kabutops on the switch. Endeavor can leave a big dent into Pyroar's checks if it has taken some damage, and can help put something into priority range or just take it out with Toxic Spikes support. However, use it only if your team has other ways to get around Barbaracle.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed investment areis used for maximum offensive prowesses and to makelet Pyroar able to revenge kill as many things as possible. Unnerve is the best ability Pyroar has, and it can be useful to stop Slurpuff from being able to activateing Unburden; it as well also nullifies random Occa bBerries.

Usage Tips
========

You should just use the strongest move against your target, but be careful when picking a move, as being locked into Overheat and Hidden Power Grass can be quite dangerous if the opponent has a setup sweeper such as Feraligatr or Bouffalant. You can revenge kill Slurpuff even if it has set up for free if you carry Overheat. Be careful while switching into Lilligant if Sleep Clause is not active, as Sleep Powder can stop revenge killing attempts. Pyroar is also a decent check to Klinklang, as it can live a +1 Return with Stealth Rock up if Klinklang is not using Life Orb; Pyroar cand, however, survive a Life Orb Return withoutif Stealth Rock is not on the field.

Team Options
========

Grass- and Dragon -types likesuch as Dragalge and Sceptile are good partners, as they can deal with bulky Water-types that, which easily wall Choice Scarf Pyroar. Bulky Ground-types such as Seismitoad are excellent checks to the Rock-types in the tier, and can set up Stealth Rock to weaken the opposing team. Sandslash appreciates Pyroar scarforcing offut Grass-types, and can use Rapid Spin to remove entry hazards on your side of the field, granting Pyroar more opportunities to switch in. Spikes support is nice to have, with the switches Pyroar tends to force. Good Pokemon for the job are Roselia and Ferroseed if Pyroar is used on more balanced teams, and Crustle if it is used in more offensive ones. Cryogonal is another decent partner as it can, being able to threaten Water-types such as Seismitoad with Freeze Dry and it canalso being able to use Rapid Spin to support Pyroar. Wallbreakers like Sawk also help this set greatly, threatening the Sspecial Wwalls thatwhich wall Pyroar and forcing anything that wants to come in to take massive damage from a coverage move. Pokemon that are checked by Mismagius such as Mesprit are alsother decent partners, as Pyroar is a stellar can easily switch into itMismagius and can put a lot of offensive pressure on the opposing team.

Other Options
########

Pyroar can effectively use Solarb Beam either with a Sunny Day set in a Ssun team or with a Power Herb. However, Pyroar doesn't offer any particular resistancebenefits to Ssun teams, and Life Orb Hidden Power Grass gets most of the KOs Solarb Beam gets, and can be used more than once, and powers up Fire Blast and Hyper Voiceout of sun. Pyroar is also an effective Substitute user and can use a Substither withute + 3 Aattacks set with Expert Belt or witha Substitute + Endeavor set. Expert Belt is another item option that can be used, as it lets Pyroar bluff a cChoice set and hit the switch -in very hard. Taunt is a legitimate option too, as it lets Pyroar stop some entry hazards setters and Defog users. Dark Pulse is the only other coverage move Pyroar gets, but it is useless most of the time as its only target is the uncommonrare Lampent. Finally, a physical Moxie set might look tempting, but Pyroar has no good Fire-type physical STAB move and has a very mediocre Attack stat.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Fire-types**: Specially defensive Flareon is one of the best counters to Pyroar, as it can take most hits from Pyroar very well and stall Pyroarit out with Wish + Protect. Caperupt can also take most hits from Pyroar and set up Stealth Rock or just killKO it with Earthquake. Lampent also resists every move Pyroar usually carries and can set up Calm Mind or Trick Room on it.
**Bulky Water-types**: Seismitoad can take most hits from Pyroar bar a supother effectivethan Hidden Power Grass and, threaten it out, and set up Stealth Rock, but doesn't have reliable recovery and can't take Hyper Voice too well. Lanturn can also take some punishmenthits and gain momentum with Volt Switch or 2HKO Pyroar with Scald.
**Rock-types**: Rhydon and Regirock can take most hits, but they fear Will-O-Wisp and Hidden Power Grass. Archeops outspeeds Pyroar, is neutral to Hidden Power Grass, and OHKOes Pyroar with Stone Edge or Earthquake.
**Faster Pokemon and priority users**: Faster Pokemon, such as Sceptile and Tauros, and Choice Scarf users, such as Mesprit and Sawk, can do heavyl a lot of damage or just straight take out KO Pyroar before it can fire off a hit, making them decent checks. Priority users such as Gurdurr, Kabutops, and Feraligatr can pick itPyroar off with Mach Punch and Aqua Jet.
**Special Walls**: Dragalge and Audino can take most of the hits Pyroar can fires off, especially from the Choice Scarf set, and are good pivot switches in general while trying to deal with it.
**Residual damage**: Entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock, are a great way to pressure Pyroar, as it is forced out quite easily. It also oftencommonly carries Life Orb, reducing its lifespawn considerably.

GP 1/2

Last edited:
I think Flame Plate @ HP:Grass+Will-O-Wisp; deserves a slash if only for the Kangaskhan that try to Suicker Punch you if you are in range

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)