Pokémon Tyranitar

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. DDMTtar can not run max HP, and there are many problems with that set otherwise. Crunch doesn't really do anything for Tyranitar, and it never did. It was a reliable STAB that caused 50/50s with Pursuit/gave something strong to use on Scarf sets/whatever but it was never the best move on it. Check in the thread for its analysis if you dont believe me. Also "all Psychic-types besides Mega Medicham and Gardevoir" is literslly every Psychic in the tier besides stuff like Alakazam. Here is the set that you should use.

name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Fire Punch
ability: Sand Stream
item: Tyranitarite
nature: Jolly
evs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 212 Spe

This Tyranitar has enough Speed after Mega Evolving to outspeed Noivern at +1 (if you only care about Greninja, move 8 Speed to HP), and as for the moves, Stone Edge is 100% necessary, most targets of EQ are getting banned so all the relevant ones that are left are: Mawile, non Balloon Excadrill, and Terrakion. Fire Punch easily beats Mawile and any Excadrill, and Terrakion you lose to anyway if it has a Scarf, so at least in my opinion Earthquake is no longer necessary. Both Fire Punch and Ice Punch hit very important Pokemon, such as Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Gliscor, Landorus-T, and many others.
I know Mega Tyranitar runs max Attack/Speed most of the time, I was merely hypothesizing how a SubDD set would work. By the way, a notable relevant Psychic-type in OU is Slowbro, who's been gaining usage since the Aegi ban, but Crunch likely isn't worth running just for that. Never knew of that new EV spread with HP investment, so thanks for that extra bit of knowledge.

I wouldn't dismiss Crunch so easily, I agree Tyranitar has many options but a reliable STAB is never bad, Stone miss and the punches should only be used when power is crucial or for coverage. Crunch hits much harder than the punches and never misses.

I wouldn't dismiss Crunch so easily, I agree Tyranitar has many options but a reliable STAB is never bad, Stone miss and the punches should only be used when power is crucial or for coverage. Crunch hits much harder than the punches and never misses.
But there's no time you would prefer to use Crunch over either one, except for Slowbro but you shouldn't be setting up while that's alive. A reliable STAB isn't worth it

No. DDMTtar can not run max HP, and there are many problems with that set otherwise. Crunch doesn't really do anything for Tyranitar, and it never did. It was a reliable STAB that caused 50/50s with Pursuit/gave something strong to use on Scarf sets/whatever but it was never the best move on it. Check in the thread for its analysis if you dont believe me. Also "all Psychic-types besides Mega Medicham and Gardevoir" is literslly every Psychic in the tier besides stuff like Alakazam. Here is the set that you should use.

name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Fire Punch
ability: Sand Stream
item: Tyranitarite
nature: Jolly
evs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 212 Spe

This Tyranitar has enough Speed after Mega Evolving to outspeed Noivern at +1 (if you only care about Greninja, move 8 Speed to HP), and as for the moves, Stone Edge is 100% necessary, most targets of EQ are getting banned so all the relevant ones that are left are: Mawile, non Balloon Excadrill, and Terrakion. Fire Punch easily beats Mawile and any Excadrill, and Terrakion you lose to anyway if it has a Scarf, so at least in my opinion Earthquake is no longer necessary. Both Fire Punch and Ice Punch hit very important Pokemon, such as Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Gliscor, Landorus-T, and many others.
Crunch never works.... I run my T-Tar like this (well i was adviced to run it like this ...):

Tyranitar@Assault Vest
Trait:Sand Stream
EV's:252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature : (+Spd -SAtk)
-Crunch
-Rock Slide
-Aerial Ace
-Earth Quake

...This Set is ''Different'' However i think this guy can work way better...
-

Crunch never works.... I run my T-Tar like this (well i was adviced to run it like this ...):

Tyranitar@Assault Vest
EV's:252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature : (+Spd -SAtk)
-Crunch
-Rock Slide
-Aerial Ace
-Earth Quake

...This Set is ''Different'' However i think this guy can work way better...
-
Who told you that?

Aerial Ace is pretty useless, Stone Edge is better than Rock Slide (forgot exactly what KOs it misses) and Earthquake isn't useful. Run Pursuit and an elemental punch over them

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is that 40 extra HP really doing anything? Why go for random bulk when you can max Spe and speedtie with other mega tyraitar? I'd rather not lose to a mega ttar than have 40 HP EVs that could potentially maybe help me survive a hit or take it better, which is situational as hell (yes, more situational than speed tying other mega ttars)

you also give up on outspeeding base 70 speed mons.

Last edited:

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Tank and Hit hard:

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
- Crunch / Payback
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge / Ice Beam / Fire Blast
- Superpower / Low Kick

Hey you did not mentioned Nature someone edit it and i am sorry i missed it.

Whenever running an assault vest Tyranitar, I think it's always best to put a lot of attack investment. With no attack making it weak combined with the assault vest you can't recover your health without support from other team mates. So using it as a wall isn't a good idea. A special defensive tank is probably the best way to run an AV Tyranitar with either a spread of

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

or my personal favorite

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Atk / 120 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

The special defensive investment is to be able to take special moves a little bit better while still having a strong attack.

I also feel the max attack max special defensive version isn't good either because it loses on overall bulk. The max attack, max special defensive is slightly specially bulkier than max HP with some to no special attack EV's, but you lose a lot in defensive bulk while doing so.

Whenever running an assault vest Tyranitar, I think it's always best to put a lot of attack investment. With no attack making it weak combined with the assault vest you can't recover your health without support from other team mates. So using it as a wall isn't a good idea. A special defensive tank is probably the best way to run an AV Tyranitar with either a spread of

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

or my personal favorite

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Atk / 120 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

The special defensive investment is to be able to take special moves a little bit better while still having a strong attack.

I also feel the max attack max special defensive version isn't good either because it loses on overall bulk. The max attack, max special defensive is slightly specially bulkier than max HP with some to no special attack EV's, but you lose a lot in defensive bulk while doing so.
Nice set but my T-Tar cant learn pursuit..:( (its an egg move right...) not bothered to get another shiny T-Tar my new set works great

Tyranitar@Assault Vest
EV's:252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly nature: (+Spd -SAtk)
-Hone Claws
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Earth Quake

Great with tanky body i'm allowed to set up 2/3+ Hone claws meaning nice attack and Stond Edge with hit most of the time (For me all the time)

Nice set but my T-Tar cant learn pursuit..:( (its an egg move right...) not bothered to get another shiny T-Tar my new set works great

Tyranitar@Assault Vest
-Hone Claws
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Earth Quake

Great with tanky body i'm allowed to set up 2/3+ Hone claws meaning nice attack and Stond Edge with hit most of the time (For me all the time)
You know what Assault Vest does, right?

Tyranitar@Assault Vest
-Hone Claws
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Earth Quake

>hone claws
What color is the sky in your world?

I've been messing around with some mixed ttar sets. Not exactly novel, but you don't seem them as often. I prefer it to the typical ttar because he does a much better job of sweeping/cleaning, depending on what item you give him. Also makes a great anti-lead:

Anti-lead ttar
Tyrantiar @ focus sash/choice scarf
Naive/Rash, 166 SpAtk, 90 Atk, 252 Spd
-Ice beam
-Pursuit
-fire blast
-stealth rock/taunt/thunderbolt/stone edge

I love pursuit on this set, because when your opponent realizes their fragile lead is facing goddamn godzilla theyre gonna high tail out of that faster than you can say klefki. Speaking of steels, fire blast mutilates them; leads like boo boo keys and ferrothorn don't stand a snowball's chance in hell. Ice beam decimates the usual suspects. Stealth rock/taunt for focus sash, thunderbolt/stone edge for scarf, and also usable on sash too. Evs are to outspeed other leads, deal damage and so forth. The choice between naive and rash is difficult, but I prefer naive to outspeed key pokes when scarfed, but the power drop is substantial.

Any changes to evs/moveslot I should make?

yes i do Boost Def/SDef
Dang Blisseys gonna be so OP with AV, SoftBoiled, Aromatherapy, Wish, and Seismic Toss...

You can only use damaging moves if you have Assault Vest on. The vest is soo heavy, you can only afford to attack, doing anything otherwise will cost your life.
No, seriously, I'm pretty sure you didn't run that in PS or Battle Spot. I mean, you can have Hone Claws in your moveslot, but its useless, the vest wont let ya use it.

Dang Blisseys gonna be so OP with AV, SoftBoiled, Aromatherapy, Wish, and Seismic Toss...

You can only use damaging moves if you have Assault Vest on. The vest is soo heavy, you can only afford to attack, doing anything otherwise will cost your life.
No, seriously, I'm pretty sure you didn't run that in PS or Battle Spot. I mean, you can have Hone Claws in your moveslot, but its useless, the vest wont let ya use it.
Slightly off topic, but a combination of klutz, AV and trick would render most if not all walls and slow boosters like calm mind clefable useless. It's a perma-taunt. It's a shame there are no OU viable users of the ability.

Slightly off topic, but a combination of klutz, AV and trick would render most if not all walls and slow boosters like calm mind clefable useless. It's a perma-taunt. It's a shame there are no OU viable users of the ability.
I was thinking of way around the "trick-assault" vest problem and didn't realize klutz worked that way. Maybe I should try this out on some lower tiers.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The only boosting set you should run for T-tar is DD Mega T-Tar; it's too slow to take advantage of any boosts otherwise.

I was thinking of way around the "trick-assault" vest problem and didn't realize klutz worked that way. Maybe I should try this out on some lower tiers.
Just an aside if you're going to mess around with this: I've seen two or three different people that thought they could be cheeky and trick AV onto an SR lead before it sets rocks, but having AV tricked onto you doesn't cancel the use of support moves on that turn, it prevents their selection from that turn forward.

This is relevant to the thread because Tyranitar learns Stealth Rock, clearly.

Just an aside if you're going to mess around with this: I've seen two or three different people that thought they could be cheeky and trick AV onto an SR lead before it sets rocks, but having AV tricked onto you doesn't cancel the use of support moves on that turn, it prevents their selection from that turn forward.

This is relevant to the thread because Tyranitar learns Stealth Rock, clearly.
I hardly see T-Tar with it these days when i used to see it people usually mega him a use stealth rocks ...Whats the use because most of the time he gets KOed right after stealth rocks (like Shofu's)to set up rocks/spikes i use ferrothorn that guy is a tank..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)