Project The Next Best Thing (New thread is newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
op stolen from Mazz I guess
The Next Best Thing...
What is this?:

I for one, along with many others I'm sure, feel as though there is some untapped power within the RU environment. There is substantial evidence for this idea in the form of one commonality for most tiers, RU included: there always seems to be one or more new-fangled, hyped up sets that weren't originally main-stay or seen as "viable" by the community, but somehow has taken the metagame by storm. This can be seen in DPP OU (with Special Lucario transitioning to SD Lucario, Heatran eventually running items other than Choice Scarf, and the influx of ChestoRest Kingdra) in ADV (with the vaunted TyraniBoah now becoming almost an urban myth in comparison to Special and DD Tyranitar, and the increasing popularity of SupeRachi) and in BW OU (with the advent of SubSalac Terrakion, SubDisable Gengar, and ChestoRest Volcarona). Yes, some of these sets may have been found early on with respect to the creation of the tier or fairly recently, the point is, though, that there seems to be an endless supply of effective and potent sets out there yet to be discovered, especially factoring in metagame swings and the possible tier shifts. The purpose of this project will be to systematically subject each and every RU pokemon to a collective body of research in an attempt to uncover these "hidden gems", so to speak, and hopefully spark some creativity throughout the RU community.

The Process:

Each week, I will choose a different RU Pokemon, sometimes chosen by random, sometimes chosen by curiousity, of which participants will try to personally create a new set for that is not already on-site or in the process of being put on-site. Participants will be given 5 days to create their set, with discussion about the particular sets being promoted throughout, and on the 6th and 7th day of the week, a vote will be held to choose which user's set represented the most creative and simultaneously competivitely viable set to utilize in the current RU metagame. Once the votes are tallied and a winner is crowned, the set will be archived in the OP and the process will start all over again for the next pokemon specimen.

What are we looking for?:

Specifically, I want to stress the importance of the balance between creativity and viability when picking a set to post for the Pokemon in question. There's a very fine line between a "creative" set and a "gimmick", and this project is not meant to produce gimmicks, rather emphasize the ability to think outside the box when using a specific Pokemon in order to maximize it's potential. Having said that, I would also like to deviate from simple one move / item changes. For example, using Lum Berry over Life Orb on an SD Virizion does nothing to show any untapped potential Virizion has because we already have a basic understanding of what SD Virizion is and does, it's just now better at dealing with status and has less power. The same goes for using Iron Head over Stone Edge on SD Cobalion, it doesn't yield productive discussion or results for the project. I am looking for sets that test what we think we know about checks or counters, so-called standards, and what it means to be viable. Maybe a particular option for a Pokemon looks inferior at first glance for that particular pokemon, but dig deeper and try and find what it might mean in the big picture, for the entire team.

The next test subject is...

Virizion

Hall of Fame

Last edited:

phantom

Banned deucer.

Meloetta @ Flame Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

What do all of Meloetta's checks have in common? An extreme dislike for burns and losing their form of passive recovery, so why not do both? ;) This Meloetta is basically meant to lure in a lot of its usual checks and counters such as Spiritomb, Registeel, Escavalier, Drapion, opposing Meloetta, and Trick them with a Flame Orb, keeping them crippled for the rest of the match. You pair this Meloetta with a Calm Mind Psychic of choice such as Reuniclus or Cresselia or even Nasty Plot Mismagius, as they all greatly appreciate these Pokemon out of the way. The remaining moves help wear those Pokemon down even further, Hyper Voice smashes Drapion, Focus Blast nails Registeel and Escav, and Shadow Ball is there because being walled by Doublade sucks.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Knock Off / U-turn

Not sure how "creative" this is, but I have had success with this set over time since XY RU started and it isn't a current set on Meloetta's analysis. With an Assault Vest equipped, Meloetta becomes quite difficult for even the strongest special attacker in the tier, Delphox, to muscle past. Hyper Voice and Psyshock are the STAB options here. Hyper Voice is able to hit through Subs thanks to the buff to sound-based moves, while Psyshock hits opponents on their Defense stat. Shadow Ball is used for Doublade, Cofagrigus, and other Ghost- and Psychic-types. Knock Off is the primary choice in the last slot as it lets Meloetta defeat even CM Delphox 1v1 and is a safe move to throw out in general as Cobalion and Virizion aren't switching into Meloetta any time soon. If, however, you're using Meloetta on a more offensive team, U-turn might appeal to you as Meloetta can absorb a hit from p. much any special attacker and proceed to get a teammate in for free. EVs maximize bulk and Special Attack. Modest is used since you'll be using Knock Off for the effect moreso than the damage. Same can be said of U-turn. Quiet might seem appealing with U-turn to have an even slower one, but getting outsped by Gligar can suck since Hyper Voice is a clean 2HKO on it. This Meloetta blends the defensive qualities of its SpDef set with the offensive qualities of its Choice sets into one to attempt to give the best of both worlds; a lot of special bulk while still retaining respectable power. If you're questioning AV Meloetta vs. Delphox, here's some relevant calcs:

vs. CM Delphox (assuming it Calm Minds as Meloetta comes in)
+1 Life Orb Fire Blast: 42.6 - 50.3% -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 Life Orb Psyshock: 35.7 - 42.1% -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
calcs after Knock Off
+1 Fire Blast: 32.7 - 38.7% -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 Psyshock: 27.5 - 32.5% -- 81.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

vs. Specs Delphox
Choice Specs Fire Blast: 32.7 - 38.7% -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Choice Specs Psyshock: 27.5 - 32.5% -- 81.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

offensive calcs:
0- Atk Meloetta Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delphox: 132-156 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Meloetta Shadow Ball vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Delphox: 128-152 (43.9 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

other calcs outside of Delphox:
252 SpA Moltres Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 94-112 (23.3 - 27.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 159-187 (39.4 - 46.4%) -- 28.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Mega Launcher Clawitzer Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Meloetta: 190-226 (47.1 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock - p. impressive considering this is essentially a STAB move
NOTE: Meloetta 2HKOes each of these Pokemon with its STAB move of choice (though will need the 8 SpD EVs over in Speed to beat Clawitzer reliably)

Spirit chose the best set imo tho. Then again, Flame Orb on p. much any powerful Psychic-type is never a "terrible" option per se.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is a set that's actually onsite, but because of the fact that its rarely but ever seen (usage stats say its more uncommon than EonX's set by a good margin, i guess it's alright to post here ?____?.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Perish Song
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off / Thunder Wave / U-turn / Shadow Ball

Although Meloetta is usually seen in an offensive role of some form, take a closer look and you'll find that defensive Meloetta is nothing to be scoffed at. Meloetta's special bulk isn't just good, but actually exceptional with a high base 100 HP stat and an amazing base 128 Special Defense, allowing it to take hits from all kinds of powerful special attackers such as Jolteon, Reuniclus, opposing Meloetta and even Moltres in a pinch! Meloetta doesn't just sit there and sponge special hits though, as it actually has a pretty solid support movepool to help it out in its defensive role. Heal Bell lets it heal off annoying status problems such as Toxic not just from itself, but from its entire team in one go, something almost necessary for any stall team worth its salt. Not to mention Perish Song, an excellent phazing move that either forces out or OHKOs whatever was in front of it when it was used, no matter what it is. An excellent move to stop set up sweepers in their tracks, and even prevents them from sweeping as the last Pokemon standing. This is especially useful against things such as Calm Mind Reuniclus that happen to threaten stall teams otherwise. Outside of these two moves, Meloetta has some other nice tools to it such as Knock Off, to remove things such as Leftovers and Life Orb, Thunder Wave, to slow down opposing sweepers and common switch-ins to Meloetta, and U-turn, which allows Meloetta to serve as a pivot. Despite being used in a defensive role, Meloetta's Hyper Voices still sting just a little bit, making it actually somewhat annoying to switch into for frailer teams. The only thing really holding back Meloetta from being a top tier defensive threat is its lack of reliable recovery imo, but that can still be remedied by pairing Meloetta with any stall Pokemon's best friend Alomomola. Who forms a very solid defensive core with the singer and keeps it healthy with its massive wishes!

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thanks Atomic for making this thread it's definitely one of my favorite projects and it will be amazing to see what ideas other users have. Now for my set:

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Focus Blast / Shadow Ball / U-Turn
- Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power Fire

The purpose of this set is to lure Meloetta's two main counters; Spiritomb and Escavalier and smash them with a Specs HP Fire to Dazzling Gleam. Psychic and Hyper Voice are the prefered STABS and the third slot is personal preference. Of course this set requires a bit more prediction that the average Specs set but the payoff can be huge because getting rid of these pokemon will make Meloetta's sweep easier and she will be able to spam her STABS with more ease. Finally hazard support is appreciated by this set so Accelgor and Omastar are great partners. Now into the relevant calcs:
Without hazards:
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Escavalier: 272-324 (79 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Spiritomb: 266-314 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
With hazards:
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Spiritomb: 266-314 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Escavalier: 272-324 (79 - 94.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes

I haven't played in RU a bit, but I figure I'll list a set I always found rather good success with. Which will probably be scoffed: Physical Meloetta. Apparently it is listed on the site, but I have never seen anyone use it.

Meloetta @ Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Relic Song
- Return
- Drain Punch/Close Combat
- Knock Off/U-turn

Despite everyone's love for the bulky special Meloetta, her Pirouette form is a speedy threat, carrying an impressive 128 Attack and Speed, as well as giving her a resistance to that ever-nasty Knock Off. Relic Song is a natural pick, as it is required for the forme change, provides a nice 20% sleep chance, and can still do impressive damage without investment. Return is naturally the Normal STAB of choice(or Frustration if you fear Ditto). Drain Punch or Close Combat provide your other stab, depending on if you want pure strength or some recovery to adjust for the loss of defense. Finally, U-turn provides a great fast pivot, while Knock Off covers the threat of Ghosts walling you -- and it's Knock Off. I personally prefer using Leftoverss for the added sustain, but Life Orb grants you even more power, and can generally be counteracted if running Drain Punch or a Wish passer.

EVs allow you to outspeed the likes of Ambipom/Cinncino after transforming, while still giving you some health. 252 HP with a +Atk Nature can be used if you don't really care about boosting your speed, as not much beats neutral 128 anyways. Max Speed can also be used, but you are still outsped by Jolteon and base 70 Scarfers(If my math is right).

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hall of Fame:

Last edited:
llamas put what mon ur doing and when ur voting / making sets in the title imo, makes it easier :o

Spirit :afrostar:

All sets seems to be interesting, I known some of them. If I have to give a vote, then it's for Spirit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)