XY LC RMT Little Cup - Little Bitties

This is my first time showcasing this team, and I have to say it did me well. I'm in the Top 50 in the LC Ladder (due to inactivity over the last few days) and it got me to number 18 before I took a break. I even beat number 2 (at the time) with this, so I'd say it does really well. Without further ado, here's the little guys:

Onix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Taunt

He's a very reliable lead if the opposing lead has a few things that stop Zigzagoon. Usually if I see a Scraggy he's easily Taunted from doing any Dragon Dancing-Moxie shenanigans. Once that happens, or a similar scenario, I set up Stealth Rock and get outta there. Usually into Cottonee so I can troll the ever-present fighting types further. He also helps remove the also ever-present Pawniard and lesser-present Abra, as Berry Juice+Sturdy= Onix lives for two hits minimum and most-likely KOs. I've changed the team a lot but Onix has been a main stay, and for goot reason. He also kills Fletchlings reliably.

I have tried Tirtouga. In general I do miss Earthquake, but I will switch back and forth on occasion to find out for sure who is more reliable.

Zigzagoon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 132 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 108 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Belly Drum
- Thief
- Protect

The team is built around this bad boy. It's not hard to see where this is going. I've set up Belly Drums against Drilbur, Pawniard (when it's low on hp), Abra, Magnemite, Chinchou, etc. You get the point. The ev spread nets a great spread of unexpected set-up opportunities. Of course, he only cleans late game if the enemy has Ghost or Fighting Types, unless my pranksters have paralyzed them already. In desperate opportunities setting up on them works. Notably, I've also killed Pawniards by spamming Extreme Speed against players who expect Rock Smash and try to Sucker Punch me out and take out half hp on lesser def oriented Pawniards. That said, I have thought about Rock Smash to deal with them more reliably among other threats. Protect though helps block Fake Out, which when Ziggy's hp is low is very crucial.

Cottonee @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Def / 196 SpD / 76 Spe
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stun Spore
- Memento

Cottonee makes a great counter for fighting types, and just as well as a boosting-sweeper counter. In fact, usually what works well for me is if Onix is met with a fighting type lead, I'll just switch in on the Knock Off as Cottonee doesn't necessarily need the eviolite to do its job, and Stun Spore it out of attacking usually. Dazzling Gleam deals very respectable damage to Eviolite Mienfoo, and with Paralysis I can net the 3hko with ease. Most smart players will switch out, sure. But if they don't have a grass type it's another paralysis spread. Memento really opens up a set up opportunity, but I usually only do this if Zigzagoon can at least take out two to three before fainting if a ghost type remains. In any case, Cottonee makes a fantastic partner for Zigzagoon in this respect and I feel like he's a for sure slot in the team.

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Timburr is a recent replacement for Croagunk because I needed an answer to the opponent Statusing me. Plus he is more Knock Off support, which is greatly needed due to the likes of Foongus, Spritzee and Vullaby. Bulk Up usually doesn't win me games, but it makes a great choice if the opponent is going to try to Scald me with Chinchou. More priority can't hurt either, as priority is a huge part of this team. Timburr is proving to be a great ally for removing Steel types and rock types, which is greatly needed for Zigzagoon and Knock Off further supports that statement. I'm not sure if Timburr will stay on the team so far, but he is doing better than Croagunk or Riolu which I have used in the past.

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird

Defog support is really helping Onix keep sturdy active, and as such Vullaby was a very natural addition. Brave Bird also helps rid of those fighting types, which by the time Vullaby makes an appearance Cottonee has already worn them down. Knock Off helps get rid of eviolite from Spritzee and many other good examples. Vullaby outspeeds Spritzee so it can Knock Off, live from a Moonblast, and Roost off some damage assuming Vullaby's eviolite is still active. Vullaby with its stabs can't go wrong either, as I constantly see her doing respectable damage, even at neutral coverage. She doesn't do as much damage as Zubat, but she provides the support that this team very much needed. I'm certain Vullaby has found its place on my team well.

Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 SpA / 68 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Protect

Abra is a new addition that serves two roles this team very much needed. He removes Pawniard 1v1 with my sash still active with HP Fighting, and he also removes Gastly in the same respect with Shadow Ball. Protect serves as a means to reliably take out Fake Out Mienfoo/Timburr. The rest of the moves are pure coverage. Everyone knows since the red and blue days Abra's family deals nuts damage with neutral Psychics. Shadow Ball also hits decently hard as a last resort if I need to wear down something that threatens Zigzagoon and also resists Psychic on Abra's way out. I have seen people using Energy Ball and Dazzling Gleam, so they are considerations I will take into account as time passes. All that said, Abra has found its place as well. It's a team mate that Zigzagoon very much needed.

So, that's the team. Since the changes I have been doing a lot better and I'm less stressed on finding winning strategies. My only pokemon that I still fear every time it comes out is Scraggy, and that is another reason why I have Onix for Taunting means, though I do risk it being the wrong set and Scraggy can still Knock Off my Berry Juice. Cottonee can OHKO it provided I haven't allowed it to set up Dragon Dance and I can always Memento it after Paralysis, but that's my main concern right now.

All that said, feel free to open up suggestions. Anything goes really. I'm pretty well set on keeping Zigzagoon, and to a lesser extent Onix as the team in built heavily around these two. But as I said, any help is appreciated! Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello!

It seems you are a new user on Smogon. I'd recommend you to take the Mentorship Program, as it would help you integrating into the Smogon Community.

Your unfortunately has multiple flaws, as pokémon like Zubat just aren't viable. You also do not have a Fletchling or Zigzagoon check once Onix is KOed (and it quickly will be, seeing as you use it as a lead). There's probably a lot of things to nitpick here and there, so I'd recommend you to take the Battling 101 program for Little Cup: it would help you get a grasp of the metagame. It would also show you the correct attitude to take on Pokémon Showdown, as your dialogue in the showcased replay was less than perfect.
Once again, welcome to Smogon!

Hello!

It seems you are a new user on Smogon. I'd recommend you to take the Mentorship Program, as it would help you integrating into the Smogon Community.

Your unfortunately has multiple flaws, as pokémon like Zubat just aren't viable. You also do not have a Fletchling or Zigzagoon check once Onix is KOed (and it quickly will be, seeing as you use it as a lead). There's probably a lot of things to nitpick here and there, so I'd recommend you to take the Battling 101 program for Little Cup: it would help you get a grasp of the metagame. It would also show you the correct attitude to take on Pokémon Showdown, as your dialogue in the showcased replay was less than perfect.
Once again, welcome to Smogon!
To be fair, I started out just fine. If anything my opponent was incorrect. I'm sorry but if I'm shown attitude I'm gonna dish it back, especially if I didn't deserve it. I usually have a light and fluffy attitude on Showdown, really. Anyhow, don't tell me to take a class on how to be polite on a program primarily used to test teams.
Especially when that was just one game out of many. I apologize if my dialogue was flawed, but as I said in the battle I was on the phone. And just for further discussion in the thread, this is not going to be a thread to talk about whether I was polite.

Nevertheless, I do truly appreciate the feedback. I plan on checking out the Battling 101 thing as I am really needing to get into competitive battling. I would however like to be told why Zubat isn't viable, considering he does the job he's on the team for. I guess I can see how there might be others better suited for his role, so I'll definitely check into that.

I would also like to point out that the team's goal is to either remove or cripple opposing pokemon that would destroy Zigzagoon. Double Prankster might not be the best way I realize, but Zigzagoon is a counter to Fletchling once his fellow ghosties or fighting pokemon are removed. He takes Acrobatics like a champ, belly drums after the Berry Juice, and Extreme Speed prioritizes over Gale Wings. As long as Zigzagoon can take a hit, which with the spread chosen, I can very easily set up a sweep. I do see though that I do need one more check to Zigzagoon's threats other than himself so I can see what you mean to a degree. I'll look into this as well.

It actually gets the job done. And I'll say it again this is not a thread for lectures. I realized when I threw Zubat on this team that there were better choices but I chose to keep it online because no one uses him and thus it's less likely they're prepared. Don't dis Zubat until you've tried him. He's actually done really well for me.

Now seriously, I'm not looking for lectures. I would like recommendations if you think the team is flawed. I have my reasons for using the pokemon that I have been. I don't include them for no reason.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't like Leech Seed on Cottonee. Leech Seed is a really bad choice in Little Cup, as damage rolls are rounded down. In order to check Fighting-types with it properly (one of the best in the meta btw), you ought to be running Dazzling Gleam over Leech Seed, and Encore over Protect, as Encore helps you to discourage opponents setting up. Taunt and Stun Spore are fine, but if you replace one of these with Memento, you will be able to set up easily with Zigzagoon.

As many people have said, you have a weakness to Fletchling. Once your suicide lead goes down, it can run straight through your team. I suggest you replace Onix for Solid Rock Eviolite Tirtouga, which can set up Stealth Rock, Knock Off items, pick off weakened foes with Aqua Jet, and more importantly, beat Fletchling 1v1.

I don't like Leech Seed on Cottonee. Leech Seed is a really bad choice in Little Cup, as damage rolls are rounded down. In order to check Fighting-types with it properly (one of the best in the meta btw), you ought to be running Dazzling Gleam over Leech Seed, and Encore over Protect, as Encore helps you to discourage opponents setting up. Taunt and Stun Spore are fine, but if you replace one of these with Memento, you will be able to set up easily with Zigzagoon.

As many people have said, you have a weakness to Fletchling. Once your suicide lead goes down, it can run straight through your team. I suggest you replace Onix for Solid Rock Eviolite Tirtouga, which can set up Stealth Rock, Knock Off items, pick off weakened foes with Aqua Jet, and more importantly, beat Fletchling 1v1.
Thank you, someone who actually helps.

I have wanted to include a fairy move on Cottonee. That would be a solid choice too, and Encore has done me well with Purrloin. I'll try that moveslot out tonight.

I have also thought of Tirtouga before. Solid Rock is also a great ability and grants more longevity. What are your thoughts on Zubat though? Today I gave some thought into fitting Bunnelby or Abra onto the team as both help deal with Zigzagoon's threats.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
From what you've told me, your purpose for Zubat is to take out Fighting-types, not necessarily to come in on them. With that in mind, Sash Abra is a fantastic addition to your team (it is to any team, really) However, Vullaby can provide your team a more supportive position, as it can Defog and Knock off, but it can also normally beat Fighting-types with Brave Bird and Roost.

It's up to you whether or not you replace Zubat, but if you decide your need for additional support outweighs your need for a Fighting-type killer, go for Vullaby with Eviolite and the moves I've mentioned -- it also counters practically any Grass-type aside from Cottonee.

However, Abra's utility as a revenge killer shouldn't be ignored, as picking off specific threats makes sweeping much easier. If you decide to use Abra, I recommend the sash set with Psychic, Dazzling Gleam, Hidden Power Fighting and Protect, this lets it take on many threats 1v1.

From what you've told me, your purpose for Zubat is to take out Fighting-types, not necessarily to come in on them. With that in mind, Sash Abra is a fantastic addition to your team (it is to any team, really) However, Vullaby can provide your team a more supportive position, as it can Defog and Knock off, but it can also normally beat Fighting-types with Brave Bird and Roost.

It's up to you whether or not you replace Zubat, but if you decide your need for additional support outweighs your need for a Fighting-type killer, go for Vullaby with Eviolite and the moves I've mentioned -- it also counters practically any Grass-type aside from Cottonee.

However, Abra's utility as a revenge killer shouldn't be ignored, as picking off specific threats makes sweeping much easier. If you decide to use Abra, I recommend the sash set with Psychic, Dazzling Gleam, Hidden Power Fighting and Protect, this lets it take on many threats 1v1.
I just tried out the team with Tirtouga and the Cottonee change for a few battles, and I have to say it's doing well. Thanks for the tip!

Do you think replacing one of the pranksters would be ok for Abra? I mean it'd more than likely be Purrloin at this point, and I know Purrloin definitely has its merits. She consistently takes 2/3-OHKOs Drilbur, plus having all the paralysis between the two really helps Zubat's Band killing, plus Zigzagoon sweeping. And that also goes hand in hand with whether or not I need more support like you mentioned with Vullaby, I know. I'll be doing more testing on my day off tomorrow, for sure.

Zubat literally does nothing that Fletch/Doduo can't do other than taking fighting attacks. That's the best reason why Zubat sucks. I can go on about its shit stats but I don't feel like stating the obvious for everyone

I've edited the team. I don't know if you consider this a bump, but it's an update for anyone who has commented on the thread at the very least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)