NU Golurk

QC: TheCanadianWifier, Punchshroom, Dat Blast
GP: fleurdyleurse, horyzhnz, Calm Pokemaster

Overview
######

Golurk hits a variety of threats hard thanks to its base 124 Attack which lets it function as an effective wallbreaker with Choice Band, and good coverage. Aside from that, its natural bulk allows it to tank some hits and play the role of a bulky, offensive Stealth Rock setter. Golurk is the only spinblocker that can use Stealth Rock in NU. It is also one of the few Pokemon that can effectively use a physical Ghost-type move, namely Shadow Punch, which is boosted by Iron Fist. Golurk's Speed is terrible, so watch out for faster threats. It's weak to a lot of different types as well and lacks reliable recovery, so Golurk is not that hard to overwhelm.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Shadow Punch
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Drain Punch
ability: Iron Fist
item: Choice Band
evs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Earthquake is the most powerful attacking option; Golurk gets STAB from the attack and hits almost anything really hard. It also has access to Shadow Punch, which is a STAB move that is boosted by Iron Fist and grants coverage against common Pokemon with Levitate, such as Mesprit and Mismagius. Ice Punch is used to hit Grass- and Flying-types very hard. Drain Punch offers coverage against a lot of types, including the Dark-types that Golurk is weak to.

Set Details
========

Investing 136 EVs in Speed allows Golurk to outspeed everything up to Adamant Sawk if Sticky Web is up. This also includes Adamant Feraligatr, Timid Samurott, Timid Ludicolo, and Modest Magmortar. Jolly Carracosta is an example of a Pokemon that can be outrun without Sticky Web. 252 Attack EVs, Choice Band, and a boosting nature gives Golurk the ability to deal a lot of damage, even to Pokemon that resist its attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Send in Golurk when one of its teammates has just been KOed, or use it as an anti-lead to stop setup. Golurk also makes for a good switch-in option to some Pokemon thanks to its three immunities. Double switching to get free switch-ins against slower Pokemon isn't very hard, and this is a great way to steal back momentum.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with Sticky Web or Thunder Wave are great teammates; Golurk has terrible Speed, and when Sticky Web or Thunder Wave support is present, it is able to take advantage of the foe's lowered Speed and get the first attack in. Pokemon that can take out Water-types that threaten Golurk, such as Ludicolo, Ferroseed, and Meganium, are good partners. Cleric support is also good for removing crippling status. Examples of other good teammates are Gurdurr and Lilligant; Gurdurr beats up Dark-types, while Lilligant can set up on Water-types. Ice- and Fire-types such as Jynx and Magmortar will be good too, because they can take care of Flying and Bug-types respectively, as well as Grass-types, since most of them resist Earthquake. Pokemon that set entry hazards also make great teammates, such as Garbodor, Crustle, and Qwilfish, because Golurk is a spinblocker.

Stealth Rock
########
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Shadow Punch
move 4: Ice Punch / Fire Punch / Drain Punch
ability: Iron Fist
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Stealth Rock effectively negates the effect of Sturdy and Focus Sash, and it can also inflict a hefty chunk of damage against Pokemon with a weakness to Rock on the switch. Earthquake is Golurk's main STAB move, dealing a ton of damage to pretty much any Pokemon that doesn't resist it. Shadow Punch a secondary STAB option boosted by Iron Fist and deals heavy damage to Psychic-types and several Levitate users such as Mesprit, Haunter and Xatu. Ice Punch is boosted by Iron Fist and is a great option for coverage. Fire Punch grants coverage against Grass and Ice Pokemon where Golurk is weak to, and it gets a boost from Iron Fist as well, 2HKOing defensive Vileplume and Ferroseed. Drain Punch covers Dark-types and gives Golurk a form of recovery.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs adds to Golurk's impressive natural bulk. 252 Attack EVs in combination with the Adamant nature allows Golurk to hit very hard, even against physically defensive Pokemon. Iron Fist powers up most of Golurk's punching moves. Leftovers gives Golurk some passive recovery and boosts its longevity. However, a No Guard set with Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge can be used to mess with opposing Stealth Rock leads and force switches. A physically defensive EV spread can be used in combination with an Impish nature to stop offensive Normal-types such as Zangoose, Ursaring, and Tauros. Colbur Berry can be really good to lure in Dark-types and makes Golurk a great check to Zangoose, which is really hard to come by.

Usage Tips
========

This set is best used as a lead that sets up Stealth Rock early-game to punish switches. Golurk's three immunities and ability to force out certain threats with its power also give it multiple opportunities to switch in and set up the entry hazard. Golurk has three immunities. Switching Golurk into Rapid Spin is also good; it prevents the opponent from removing your entry hazards from the field.

Team Options
========

Cleric support comes in handy for healing status, especially burns. Fire-types that can switch into Will-O-Wisp are good teammates; they can also help deal with Grass-types if Golurk runs Drain Punch in the last moveslot. Pokemon such as Hariyama or Granbull that can switch into Knock Off also work well; a Knock Off can easily KO Golurk. In addition, anything that can set up more hazards works great, because this way you rack up even more entry hazard damage on opponents. Pokemon that take advantage of common switch-ins such as Feraligatr and Samurott are also handy.

Other Options
########

Assault Vest can be used on Golurk for more special bulk, but it only allows the use of damaging moves, so it can't set up Stealth Rock. However, this set can't wallbreak and is far outclassed by the Choice Band set. Thunder Punch grants coverage against Water-types (especially Pelipper) and gets boosted by Iron Fist. Rock Polish is an option to boost up Golurk's Speed in an attempt to sweep. Yache or Passho Berry can be used to halve the damage done by Ice moves or Water-type moves, respectively. Protect is decent for scouting out the opponent, and Magic Coat is a good option to bounce back Will-O-Wisp and opposing entry hazards.

Checks & Counters
#######

**Physically Bulky Pokemon** Pokemon such as Weezing and Tangela can take Golurk's hits well and simply stall it out or kill it directly.

**Will-O-Wisp**: Will-O-Wisp is threatening to Golurk, as it lowers Golurk's Attack stat and whittles its HP down.

**Fast, Offensive Pokemon** Faster, offensive Pokemon with super effective attacks have an advantage over Golurk, such as Lilligant and Cryogonal, can quickly get rid of Golurk by KOing it with their STAB attacks. However, they must watch out for Golurk's powerful coverage attacks.

Last edited:
this is ready for QC [probably needs lots of polishing, since im not that experienced at writing analyses]

Last edited:

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Some changes i think need to be made here:
  • The overview doesnt list any negatives, you need to include his terrible speed and that other ghosts easily outspeed it like mismagius and haunter. You also need to mention he dies to any mildly strong knock off which is a major downpoint.
  • Dynamic punch needs to be on the choice band set, at least slashed, it's very common and shouldn't just be in oo. Not much wants to switch in on a choice band 100% confusion dynamic punch.
  • Remove gothorita from team options, shadow tag is banned.
  • List fighting types and grass types under team options such as sawk and lilligant to take out normal and water types respectively. Emphasise this on the choice band set since Golurk can become easy set up bait when locked in on a fighting move.
  • I would also include sticky web and thunder wave support for both sets to make up for golurks lacking speed.
If i see anything else I'll let you know

Last edited:
The overview doesnt list any negatives, you need to include his terrible speed and that other ghosts easily outspeed it like mismagius and haunter. You also need to mention he dies to any mildly strong knock off which is a major downpoint.
Dynamic punch needs to be on the choice band set, at least slashed, it's very common and shouldn't just be in oo. Not much wants to switch in on a choice band 100% confusion dynamic punch.

I'll look over the rest of this later and make a full post.
sure, thanks for the tip. Editing right away

EDIT: edited stuff you told me

Last edited:

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty certain No Guard dynamic punch is standard for Choice Band, but if you feel that way I'll let some QC members have their say on the matter.

I'm pretty certain No Guard dynamic punch is standard for Choice Band, but if you feel that way I'll let some QC members have their say on the matter.
i slashed No Guard there, and slashed Dynamic Punch as well, since I tested it and its rather useful

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
No Guard Dynamic Punch was actually not even slashed on BW Golurk (mentioned in Moves though), and I don't see why it should change this Gen. No Guard makes Dynamic Punch spammable and shit, but makes every other attack spammable against Golurk as well. Considering Golurk's speed, this makes it vulnerable to Hydro Pumps, Will-O-Wisps, Fire Blasts, Sleep Powders/Lovely Kisses, and even random things like Rotom-Frost's Blizzard. Sure, 50/50 chance of free damage from Dynamic Punch sounds appealing, but giving the opponent a 100% chance to cripple or KO Golurk is much less so, especially since most Pokes outspeed Golurk.

You failed to mention Golurk's biggest problem in the Overview and why people aren't using Golurk very often: its multitude of weaknesses. It's not just Ghost-types, a lot of other Pokemon can threaten Golurk just as easily, if not more so since those attacking types don't have an STAB that caps out at 80 BP :/

The Overview should touch upon Golurk's role as one of the more effective Ground-type attackers in the tier due to its powerful coverage (let's be honest, when were physical attacking Ghosts ever in high demand?). No Guard can be as much a liability as much as it is an "advantage". You either mention No Guard's shortcomings alongside its benefits, or you just don't mention No Guard at all, since it is not the primary slash on either of its sets (should stay that way).

No Guard Dynamic Punch was actually not even slashed on BW Golurk (mentioned in Moves though), and I don't see why it should change this Gen. No Guard makes Dynamic Punch spammable and shit, but makes every other attack spammable against Golurk as well. Considering Golurk's speed, this makes it vulnerable to Hydro Pumps, Will-O-Wisps, Fire Blasts, Sleep Powders/Lovely Kisses, and even random things like Rotom-Frost's Blizzard. Sure, 50/50 chance of free damage from Dynamic Punch sounds appealing, but giving the opponent a 100% chance to cripple or KO Golurk is much less so, especially since most Pokes outspeed Golurk.

You failed to mention Golurk's biggest problem in the Overview and why people aren't using Golurk very often: its multitude of weaknesses. It's not just Ghost-types, a lot of other Pokemon can threaten Golurk just as easily, if not more so since those attacking types don't have an STAB that caps out at 80 BP :/

The Overview should touch upon Golurk's role as one of the more effective Ground-type attackers in the tier due to its powerful coverage (let's be honest, when were physical attacking Ghosts ever in high demand?). No Guard can be as much a liability as much as it is an "advantage". You either mention No Guard's shortcomings alongside its benefits, or you just don't mention No Guard at all, since it is not the primary slash on either of its sets (should stay that way).
edited stuff, i think. not sure if good now

Punchshroom

• Is easily outsped by other Ghost Types like Haunter and Mismagius, because of its terrible 55 base Speed stat
  • Has a lot of weaknesses, however, it has good coverage
This can be combined into their own separate bullet point.

Punchshroom

• Is easily outsped by other Ghost Types like Haunter and Mismagius, because of its terrible 55 base Speed stat and besides, it has a lot of weaknesses.
This was not what I meant. You don't need to specify the Ghost-types, either.

• Several weaknesses
  • Bad Speed

Punchshroom

Formatting of heading for the Choice Band set is wonky.

Why are the Team Options for the Lead set so barren? I know it's not because you don't have ideas because the CB set's Team Options section is much more fleshed out.

Politoed
  • Fighting and Grass types, such as Sawk and Lilligant, can be very useful to take out Normal and Water types, since Golurk can become easy set up bait when locked into a Fighting typed move.
I have no clue what you're trying to imply here. Are you saying that a Fighting move-locked Golurk is setup bait for Water-types (most of which are Rock-types or just don't resist Fighting) and Normal-types??

Formatting of heading for the Choice Band set is wonky.

Why are the Team Options for the Lead set so barren? I know it's not because you don't have ideas because the CB set's Team Options section is much more fleshed out.

Politoed

I have no clue what you're trying to imply here. Are you saying that a Fighting move-locked Golurk is setup bait for Water-types (most of which are Rock-types or just don't resist Fighting) and Normal-types??
I thought so yeah, because I used Golurk with these two pokémon and they worked well, and i meant rock instead of normal. editing right away

Punchshroom

I thought so yeah, because I used Golurk with these two pokémon and they worked well, and i meant rock instead of normal. editing right away
Yeah, now this makes even less sense (still weak to Drain Punch). You can say that Sawk beats up Dark-types while Lilligant sets up on Water-types, how about that? Also teammates that can handle Pokemon that resist Golurk's strongest attack (Grass-types, Flying-types) are recommended.

Yeah, now this makes even less sense (still weak to Drain Punch). You can say that Sawk beats up Dark-types while Lilligant sets up on Water-types, how about that? Also teammates that can handle Pokemon that resist Golurk's strongest attack (Grass-types, Flying-types) are recommended.
added, i think

Punchshroom

By mentioning Knock Off in C&C, you imply Golurk is crippled by every Knock Off in the tier, when it really is not the case. Golurk only really fears specifically STAB Knock Off, as other users do not dent Golurk nearly as hard; and even then Adamant Pawniard's Knock Off does not OHKO max HP Golurk. Knock Off would simply be another common super effective STAB that Golurk fears, right alongside Ice, Grass, and Water.

Remove Knock Off mentions from C&C and Usage Tips. Golurk has much more to worry about than unSTABed Knock Offs.

By mentioning Knock Off in C&C, you imply Golurk is crippled by every Knock Off in the tier, when it really is not the case. Golurk only really fears specifically STAB Knock Off, as other users do not dent Golurk nearly as hard; and even then Adamant Pawniard's Knock Off does not OHKO max HP Golurk. Knock Off would simply be another common super effective STAB that Golurk fears, right alongside Ice, Grass, and Water.

Remove Knock Off mentions from C&C and Usage Tips. Golurk has much more to worry about than unSTABed Knock Offs.
once again, so sorry for all this polishing >.>
edited

Punchshroom ?

Last edited:
I don't think Drain Punch should be slashed first on the SR set, Fire/Ice Punch both offer much better coverage, especially against Grass types (2hko on defensive vileplume after rocks, Fire Punch 2hko's Ferroseed).
I'd like to see mention of Colbur Berry somewhere, as it allows Golurk to check the likes of Liepard and Spiritomb reliably.
As much as I don't like the No Guard set, DPunch and Stone Edge should get a bigger mention on the SR set. Dynamicpunch extends Golurk's anti-lead capabilities and allows it to force switches and generate free turns for teammates.

I don't think Drain Punch should be slashed first on the SR set, Fire/Ice Punch both offer much better coverage, especially against Grass types (2hko on defensive vileplume after rocks, Fire Punch 2hko's Ferroseed).
I'd like to see mention of Colbur Berry somewhere, as it allows Golurk to check the likes of Liepard and Spiritomb reliably.
As much as I don't like the No Guard set, DPunch and Stone Edge should get a bigger mention on the SR set. Dynamicpunch extends Golurk's anti-lead capabilities and allows it to force switches and generate free turns for teammates.
done, ty

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
what is 248 hp and 8 spdef for? if there's no reason just use 252 hp and 4 spdef

mention a physically defensive spread for the second set as you can take normal-types such as tauros, bouffalant, and zangoose better

dpunch with stone edge and no guard is actually pretty good on the stealth rock set, i would give them a bigger mention.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
overview::
- Remove that weird line from the top??
- Mention how it's one of the only mons that carry STAB physical ghost-moves, and access to Iron Fist + Shadow Punch, elemental punches, and Drain punch is amazing.

- Remove that part about 2hkoing walrein, it's super irrelevant. Just point out how Ghost + Ground is very tough to switch into, especially off of Golurks high attack.
- Set details are all messed up, haha. Remove CB cause it isn't slashed anymore even though i think it deserves to be.. ; The main reason you use Iron fist over no guard is because it boosts all your moves, yes, but also because No Guard is actually pretty detrimental to Golurk as stuff like faster Hydro/Willo/Fireblasts always hit.

- Bringing it in after something dies isn't always great - golurk isn't meant to be played as a revenge killer, don't suggest it as so.
- Please mention that it has plenty of switch in opportunities with its 3 immunities, and 3 common resistances.
- double switches to get it free switch-ins vs slower things also isn't exactly difficult, and act as a great way to steal back momentum.

- there's no need to carry ice punch specifically for grass types if you have fire punch;; but theres no reason to carry fire punch at all, as you have EQ to hit steel-types, and ice punch to hit Grass-types. So yea, get rid of fire punch, cause outside or ferroseed, you have no reason to run it [you can mention it in moves specifically for ferro if you want].
- "
Dynamic Punch and/or Stone Edge can be used in combination with No Guard, but since Golurk gets no STAB from them it isn't worth putting it on the main set." this whole line is irrelevant, as you aren't running No Guard, and this isn't the main set.
Speaking of not running no guard, I would be opposed to having it either get slashed, or at least mentioned in set details. D-punch from the first turn can really earn some early momentum, either fucking with opposing rock leads, or forcing switches to get up your own rocks.

- "248 HP EVs allows Golurk to take some hits" either mention specific stuff it allows you to live, or just say that it adds to Golurk's impressive natural bulk.
- Leftovers recover Golurk a bit, so it can launch more attacks. what? Just mention you run lefties so that you don't eat into it's natural bulk, or don't mention them
- "Pokémon that can switch in and quickly get rid of Golurks weaknesses after may work, such as Throh; Golurk needs the opportunity to set up rocks" okay this whole line just confuses me.. either get rid of it all together, or just mention other pokemon who appreciate Steel-types removed / rocks / mention things that can switch into- knock off or water moves in general like slurpuff and gatrMention spiritomb specifically in CC, as it can take anything but a banded EQ comfortably, and either burn it, sucker punch it, or pursuit it.

Tag me back when you have it implemented :]

overview::
- Remove that weird line from the top??
- Mention how it's one of the only mons that carry STAB physical ghost-moves, and access to Iron Fist + Shadow Punch, elemental punches, and Drain punch is amazing.

- Remove that part about 2hkoing walrein, it's super irrelevant. Just point out how Ghost + Ground is very tough to switch into, especially off of Golurks high attack.
- Set details are all messed up, haha. Remove CB cause it isn't slashed anymore even though i think it deserves to be.. ; The main reason you use Iron fist over no guard is because it boosts all your moves, yes, but also because No Guard is actually pretty detrimental to Golurk as stuff like faster Hydro/Willo/Fireblasts always hit.

- Bringing it in after something dies isn't always great - golurk isn't meant to be played as a revenge killer, don't suggest it as so.
- Please mention that it has plenty of switch in opportunities with its 3 immunities, and 3 common resistances.
- double switches to get it free switch-ins vs slower things also isn't exactly difficult, and act as a great way to steal back momentum.

- there's no need to carry ice punch specifically for grass types if you have fire punch;; but theres no reason to carry fire punch at all, as you have EQ to hit steel-types, and ice punch to hit Grass-types. So yea, get rid of fire punch, cause outside or ferroseed, you have no reason to run it [you can mention it in moves specifically for ferro if you want].
- "
Dynamic Punch and/or Stone Edge can be used in combination with No Guard, but since Golurk gets no STAB from them it isn't worth putting it on the main set." this whole line is irrelevant, as you aren't running No Guard, and this isn't the main set.
Speaking of not running no guard, I would be opposed to having it either get slashed, or at least mentioned in set details. D-punch from the first turn can really earn some early momentum, either fucking with opposing rock leads, or forcing switches to get up your own rocks.

- "248 HP EVs allows Golurk to take some hits" either mention specific stuff it allows you to live, or just say that it adds to Golurk's impressive natural bulk.
- Leftovers recover Golurk a bit, so it can launch more attacks. what? Just mention you run lefties so that you don't eat into it's natural bulk, or don't mention them
- "Pokémon that can switch in and quickly get rid of Golurks weaknesses after may work, such as Throh; Golurk needs the opportunity to set up rocks" okay this whole line just confuses me.. either get rid of it all together, or just mention other pokemon who appreciate Steel-types removed / rocks / mention things that can switch into- knock off or water moves in general like slurpuff and gatrMention spiritomb specifically in CC, as it can take anything but a banded EQ comfortably, and either burn it, sucker punch it, or pursuit it.

Tag me back when you have it implemented :]
sorry for all this needed polishing, not so experienced and not so good >.>

ill edit this tomorrow, since i hate mobile

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)