Megas For All (Read the whole 1st post and check current slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
YO FACE!!!!!!, I don't think it would be the best to use competitively, but not necessarily because it would be too broken. If a Pokemon doesn't have Leftovers (like a Mega Evolution) and can't boost evasion, it's tough to pick up a lot of good boosts just from using Sub/Protect.

As you've seen, it's kind of a thin line when choosing which boosts would be too good (like if it was +2/-1 each turn in just Speed, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, and Special Defense the chances of getting +2 in an important stat each turn would be pretty high) and which ones wouldn't be enough to be very good or reliable. Competitively, it's better to have a Pokemon that does something pretty good most of the time than one that does something really good every once in a while and nothing the rest of the time - especially when it's more dependent on the random boosts you get rather than anything either of the players do during the match. But that's just my personal opinion on this one; I can see where you were coming from with the idea.

Also, Brownian motion is some good scientific knowledge to already have in sixth grade, but is there anything about the concept that makes it particularly fitting for Meowstic? That's another thing people look at.

edit: Furfrou seems to be similar to Diggersby in that it's hard to think of something that would be better than the ability it's known for. Has anyone thought of any non-Fur Coat options?
At least my idea is better than auto-screen, right? But anyway, I thought MMF would become a little more science-y in it's evolution, sorta like Kazam and Reuniclus. I can't really think of any good examples because GAME FREAK targets 6-10 year olds, and not many 6-10 year olds understand important science concepts.My friend Minzeh told me that the first name for the ability speed boost in Japan was something like Kinetic Acceleration, but not enough kids ktnew what "kinetic" meant. So they use words everyone knew and chose "Speed Boost". Btw Mega-Furfrou for Run Away! Or Serene Grace. (If a worm and an egg get Serene Grace, why not a dog?)

P.S. What I find funny is that everyone liked the post where Dilasc cusses at me. It just shows something about you guys. Really.

Last edited:
At least my idea is better than auto-screen, right? But anyway, I thought MMF would become a little more science-y in it's evolution, sorta like Kazam and Reuniclus. I can't really think of any good examples because GAME FREAK targets 6-10 year olds, and not many 6-10 year olds understand important science concepts.My friend Minzeh told me that the first name for the ability speed boost in Japan was something like Kinetic Acceleration, but not enough kids ktnew what "kinetic" meant. So they use words everyone knew and chose "Speed Boost". Btw Mega-Furfrou for Run Away! Or Serene Grace. (If a worm and an egg get Serene Grace, why not a dog?)

P.S. What I find funny is that everyone liked the post where Dilasc cusses at me. It just shows something about you guys. Really.
Brownian Motion is an uncompetitive ability, and giving it a sciency name isn't gonna draw anyone to vote for it. It may not be broken, but the RNG completely determines how that Pokemon will fare in battle. Dilasc criticized it because it's astonishingly similar to the one universally-banned ability, Moody. On the other hand, the auto-screen abilities are a fantastic idea, one that persuaded me to not even submit Megas for the Meowstic twins.

Brownian Motion is an uncompetitive ability, and giving it a sciency name isn't gonna draw anyone to vote for it. It may not be broken, but the RNG completely determines how that Pokemon will fare in battle. Dilasc criticized it because it's astonishingly similar to the one universally-banned ability, Moody. On the other hand, the auto-screen abilities are a fantastic idea, one that persuaded me to not even submit Megas for the Meowstic twins.
Do you think MMM(Mega Meowstic Male) should set up dual screens on switch in? Setting up screens does seem a lot more supportive, and MMM is about support. I'm still a little confused on what kind of offensive ability I can give MMF without slapping on Technician/Pixilate-clone/Moody

Do you think MMM(Mega Meowstic Male) should set up dual screens on switch in? Setting up screens does seem a lot more supportive, and MMM is about support. I'm still a little confused on what kind of offensive ability I can give MMF without slapping on Technician/Pixilate-clone/Moody
That's part of the creative process (exluding the Moody portion; never use Moody or any variant of it). And no, setting up dual screens on switch-in is probably overpowered; I support MMM and MMF setting up one of the screens each.

On a different note, keep in mind that the next slate of submissions does not include Female Meowstic.

That's part of the creative process (exluding the Moody portion; never use Moody or any variant of it). And no, setting up dual screens on switch-in is probably overpowered; I support MMM and MMF setting up one of the screens each.

On a different note, keep in mind that the next slate of submissions does not include Female Meowstic.
Honestly, Female Meowstic doesn't seem like an offensive threat if she sets up screens. But it doesn't matter anyway, does it? Am I allowed to submit now?

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Alright guys here are the results, and once again read the message after you see the results

Chesnaught: Tie between Valmanway and GG Unit
Mega Chesnaught

Grass / Fighting ----> Grass / Fighting
Overgrow / Bulletproof ----> Tough Claws
88 / 107 / 122 / 74 / 75 / 64 (530) ----> 88 / 137 (+30) / 152 (+30) / 74 / 105 (+30) / 74 (+10) (630)
New Moves: Drain Punch

Mega Chesnaught becomes one mean tank. With amazing 88 / 152 / 105 defenses, it becomes very difficult to wear him down without the use of special attacks, and having a meaty 137 base Attack to throw around combined with Tough Claws definitely makes him a powerhouse. Drain Punch is added to keep offensive and defensive pressure up, as it becomes a 97.5 base power STAB attack factoring in Tough Claws that heals Mega Chesnaught. The remaining 10 points go to Speed for balancing purposes.

Mega Chesnaught
Type: Grass/Fighting
Ability: Overgrow/Bulletproof -> Entrenchment (+1 Defense when Speed is lowered)
New Moves: N/A
HP: 88
Attack: 107 -> 137 (+30)
Defense: 122 -> 147 (+25)
Special Attack: 74 -> 84 (+10)
Special Defense: 75 -> 100 (+25)
Speed: 64 -> 74 (+10)

Losing Leftovers makes recovering health from Leech Seed/Spiky Shield less impressive, so this Mega Chesnaught is built to be a huge tank (in both design and battle - imagine its shell looking like a spiky version of one of those war machines da Vinci designed). When it uses Hammer Arm for +1 Defense, nothing short of Choice Band Brave Birds/Mega Pinsir is taking it down from the physical side, and 88/100 on the special side is no slouch either. In fact, it could even lure something like CB Talonflame with a defensive set that uses Curse for +2 Defense per use and take it out with Stone Edge:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 264-312 (69.4 - 82.1%)

Greninja: nightsitter
Mega Greninja
Type: Water/Dark -> Water/Fighting
Ability: Torrent/Protean -> Skill Link
New Moves: Icicle Spear, Arm Thrust

HP: 72 -> 72
Atk: 95 -> 140 (+45)
Def: 67 -> 82 (+15)
SpA: 103 -> 113 (+10)
SpD: 71 -> 91 (+20)
Spe: 122 -> 132 (+10)

Flavor Concept: It’s a fighting ninja, so it gains the Fighting type. Skill Link because ninjas are skilled (and it fits with its signature move Water Shuriken), and then it gets the other two moves to complement the ability. Rock Blast is NOT added because there’s no real flavor for it.

Competitive Concept: Revenge killer with solid power and sweeping potential. Mega Greninja can finally abuse its fantastic priority move and other coverage options. Water Shuriken/Icicle Spear/Arm Thrust/U-Turn provides options for punching holes in the opponent’s team and surprising an incoming special wall hoping to beat out a standard set. Power-Up Punch is its only boosting option, however, so replacing U-Turn with it is justifiable. An important thing to note is that it outspeeds and OHKOs GW Talonflame with Water Shuriken.

Diggersby: Mew King
Mega Diggersby
Normal/Ground -> Normal/Ground
Pickup/Cheek Pouch/Huge Power -> Huge Power
85/56/77/50/77/78 -> 85/96/97/50/97/98

Don't fix what ain't broke. This submission keeps it simple. Both Mega Mawile and Mega Medicham have about 100 Base Attack with their Double Power antics so I added enough attack to Mega Diggersby to approach it. I then added 20 points to its defenses and speed. Now it might be able to survive some attacks and it can outspeed some stuff. It's not too bad. It's already pretty viable in OU (It's BL right now) so this Mega just patches up some of its rough spots without changing it.

Talonflame: Tie between Jaguar360 and GG Unit
Mega Talonflame
Fire/Flying
Ability: Flame Body/Gale Wings --> Moxie
78/81/71/74/69/126 --> 78/111(+30)/91(+20)/94(+20)/89(+20)/136(+10)
Mega Talonflame is a very dangerous late-game sweeper that is balanced by its shallow movepool and only slightly above average Attack stat. Moxie helps Talonflame a ton, allowing it to get an attack boost right after revenge killing something with priority Brave Bird (with the right prediction, of course). Talonflame is still walled by physical walls, Rotom-Wash and Heat, and bulky Rock types that it can't quite break through with Steel Wing, so it's far from broken and needs wallbreaking and Stealth Rock support to sweep.

Mega Talonflame
Type: Fire/Flying
Ability: Flame Body/Gale Wings -> Reckless
New Moves: N/A
HP: 78
Attack: 80 -> 110 (+30)
Defense: 74 -> 94 (+20)
Special Attack: 74 -> 94 (+20)
Special Defense: 69 -> 89 (+20)
Speed: 126 -> 136 (+10)

Mega Talonflame's Flare Blitz/Brave Bird hit about as hard as they would coming from CB Talonflame, but it can switch moves while also geting a bit faster and bulkier. The cost to all of that is the sweet, sweet priority. In essence, several Scarfers/priority users become better Talonflame checks than they once were, but that's only after your opponent's figured out Talonflame's your Mega. One of those Megas that's pretty awesome but comes at the teambuilding cost of potentially using your Mega slot on something else while still being able to use good old normal Talonflame.

The Submission Period for the Next Slate will not open just yet. It is still the discussion period for Furfrou, Pyroar, Gogaot, and Male Meowstic. The reason for this is the bapancing council has not gotten a clear verdict on how we are doing Meowstic, but don't worry the wait shouldn't be nearly as long as before (Giving them one Mega, giving them one Mega for each Gender and doing them separately, or giving them one mega for each Mega and doing them like other alternat form Pokemon like Tornadus) (Btw, only 2 of us have said our opinion, me and Mew King, and we both have clearly opposite opinions, so yeah)

Can I just say, as a neutral observer who has paid attention to this thread but only made one submission, that it needs to be moderated a lot more consistently? There's really no reason why there should be two pages of Meowstic-F discussion two slates early.

Can I just say, as a neutral observer who has paid attention to this thread but only made one submission, that it needs to be moderated a lot better? There's really no reason why there should be two pages of Meowstic-F discussion two slates early.
When are we going to discuss it, when the slate is here and it's too late? We need to know how Meowstic will be handled before we get to its slate.

Last edited:
Okay, so here (again) are our three options for Meowstic:

1. Regard Male and Female Meowstic as the same Pokemon and give them the exact same Mega version.
2. Regard Male and Female Meowstic as a set of Pokemon and vote on one set of Megas from the same user.
3. Regard Male and Female Meowstic as different Pokemon and allow their respective Megas to be submitted and voted upon separately.

I personally believe that option 2 is the best, for it allows for both variation and parallels. If we give them the same Mega, then we risk one completely outclassing the other due to their vastly different movepools. I have no major problem with option 3, but I still like the idea of potential consistency. For example, if only one of GG Unit's screen-setting Meowstic submissions is accepted, then we have a flavor issue, albeit extremely minor.

I'm not sure how we should formally vote upon the issue, so it'll probably be left up to the discretion of Mew King or The Pizza Man

Well fuck! Smogon decided not to give me alerts about new posts so I totally missed that slate. I had some good ideas, too!

Anyway, too late now. I definitely think the Meowstics should have separate submissions in option 2. But heck, even if I lose or it's disqualified, I'm also submitting a distinct Pyroar F and Pyroar M, because I love my idea for them.

In terms of Valmanway's Chesnaught, I'm very against giving it Drain Punch as it makes standard Chesnaught so much better.

The Talonflames are the exact same with Reckless vs. Moxie. I'm fine with dropping mine and going with Moxie, but just wanted to clarify that it's impossible to KO something with priority Brave Bird and get a Moxie boost at the same time.

I decided against giving Chesnaught Drain Punch for the same reason and tried a new ability that could work with Hammer Arm/Curse (and against Sticky Web teams/Combo Master abusers), but if that's too complicated I'm alright with Tough Claws, and the stats are mostly similar.

The Talonflames are the exact same with Reckless vs. Moxie. I'm fine with dropping mine and going with Moxie, but just wanted to clarify that it's impossible to KO something with priority Brave Bird and get a Moxie boost at the same time.

I decided against giving Chesnaught Drain Punch for the same reason and tried a new ability that could work with Hammer Arm/Curse (and against Sticky Web teams/Combo Master abusers), but if that's too complicated I'm alright with Tough Claws, and the stats are mostly similar.
Actually if you megavolve the turn you KO the priority will have been kept for that turn while moxie would boost your attack for KOing

If you want to replace normal both the fighting type and fairy(albeit loosely) type fit for pyroar.
For furfrou I was thinking of an ability called "Guard's Wagers" where defending moves(protect clones and moves that boost defense) heal the user of 1/8 of its health

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Oh btw guys here is the next slate schedule

8/20 - 8/23
Pyroar
Gogoat
Furfrou
Aromatisse

8/23 - 8/25
Slurpuff
Malamar
Barbaracle
Dragalge

8/25 - 8/27
Clawitzer
Sylveon
Carbink
Goodra

8/27 - 8/29
Klefki
Trevenant
Unown
Wobbufett

Couple of things to say, we decided that we would do the two Meowstic's latter on as a pair so I replaced Male Meowstic on the upcoming slate with Aromatisse and Unown and Wobbufett are on the last slate here with Klefki and Trevenant since their submissons from early on were rejected and reopoend

So yeah I'm not sure if I will open the submisson period yet because of the slate change, but yeah please discuss Aromatisse now instead of Male Meowstic

Last edited:
Sweet. Also, for the love of god, do not give Furfrou a healing move, considering, again, how this affects its normal form.

I'm all about maintaining Furfrou's signature ability and just turning into an actually-usable tank. I'm similarly into having Aromatisse keep its own unique ability, especially considering clerics are a dime a dozen and it's nice to have a niche that keeps it from being Taunted or Encored.

Let's open it up tomorrow. That way things will be not my responsibility when it comes time to the time I'm not here (I won't be around Saturday night/Sunday morning to make a slate and if we at least submit until Saturday morning, that will solve my problem)

Sweet. Also, for the love of god, do not give Furfrou a healing move, considering, again, how this affects its normal form.

I'm all about maintaining Furfrou's signature ability and just turning into an actually-usable tank. I'm similarly into having Aromatisse keep its own unique ability, especially considering clerics are a dime a dozen and it's nice to have a niche that keeps it from being Taunted or Encored.
I think Furfrou will end up Diggersby. There's not much we can give it that will make it usable that won't bork the regular form. I agree, no healing move. I can see giving it the elemental fangs and giving it a nice attack, defense, and special defense boost.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Alright, so the submission period for Furfrou, Pyroar, Gogoat, and Aromatisse will open up tomorrow I guess

But yeah as for Aromatisse, I'm agreeing with JayHankEdLyon for us to keep Aromatisse's signature ability, since its really nice to have as a cleric and it keeps its uniqueness to it

For furfrou I was thinking of an ability called "Guard's Wagers" where defending moves(protect clones and moves that boost defense) heal the user of 1/8 of its health
I was thinking and wondering if a higher hp boost from these moves would be better.
Also do you think giving it king's shield would be ok?

Programmers: would it be feasible to give different stat totals based on different trims? I'm assuming not, but just making sure, because I think that'd be a super fun way to go here. I wish the trims weren't temporary because then I'd give unique moves based on trim, but that just wouldn't work in-game, unlike temporary stat differences.

If I don't hear a response I'll just submit a series of differently-statted Furfrous depending on trim, but the default form would be the submission if it turns out that this would be super annoying to program.

Actually if you megavolve the turn you KO the priority will have been kept for that turn while moxie would boost your attack for KOing.
It definitely works like that for the actual Speed stat (so swift swim doesn't kick in the turn you use Rain Dance in Doubles), but the more I think about it the less sure I am about priority. Mega Evolving has a higher priority than everything except switching IIRC, so I think Talonflame would lose Gale Wings before it uses Brave Bird, but then something like Banette doesn't get Prankster its first turn. Either way, Moxie's fine, and I'd like to make it easier for the people coding and to set a precedent for fewer X/Y Megas that are mostly similar.

Last edited:

I think keeping both is fine and Gale Wings still gives you priority on the turn you Mega Evolve since the speed is calculated before the turn (like how Sableye's Prankster will on the turn it Mega Evolves).

EDIT: Sort of ninja'd

Programmers: would it be feasible to give different stat totals based on different trims? I'm assuming not, but just making sure, because I think that'd be a super fun way to go here. I wish the trims weren't temporary because then I'd give unique moves based on trim, but that just wouldn't work in-game, unlike temporary stat differences.

If I don't hear a response I'll just submit a series of differently-statted Furfrous depending on trim, but the default form would be the submission if it turns out that this would be super annoying to program.
Are the different trims even included in the current system? The idea is cool, but I don't see it being possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)