NU Typhlosion

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: [ Aladyyn ] [ scorpdestroyer ] [ Soulgazer ]
GP Checks: [ GatoDelFuego ] [ Lord Alphose ]

u wot nigga

Overview
########

Typhlosion's solid Special Attack and Speed stats make it a good special attacker in the NU metagame. It also has good bulk for an offensive Pokemon, even though it relies on not losing any HP for Eruption to be at maximum power. It faces heavy competition from Pyroar, but Blaze and Eruption set it apart. Also, unlike Pyroar, Typhlosion is not weak to Mach Punch. Its movepool is varied, containing options such as Fire Blast, Eruption, Focus Blast, and Extrasensory, although it often relies on Hidden Power Grass to deal any significant damage to the Water-types in the tier. Sadly, its weakness to Stealth Rock and and the abundance of priority moves on Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Kangaskhan can mean Typhlosion isn't safe to spam Eruption as much as it would want to.

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Eruption
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Extrasensory / Focus Blast
ability: Blaze
item: Choice Specs
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Eruption hits ridiculously hard with Choice Specs and allows Typhlosion to wallbreak. Fire Blast also hits hard if Typhlosion's HP gets lower than 73% or 229 HP, at which point Fire Blast has more Base Power than Eruption. Hidden Power Grass is used to hit Water-types, especially Seismitoad, along with Rhydon. Extrasensory allows Typhlosion to hit Dragalge and Thick Fat Hariyama super effectively, and Focus Blast hits opposing Rock-types such as Probopass and Regirock, as well as hitting Audino and Lickilicky harder if Eruption isn't at maximum power.

Set Details
========

Choice Specs in conjunction with Typhlosion's high Special Attack and Eruption allows it to act as a strong wallbreaker. The EV spread is straightforward for any attacker, with maximum Special Attack and Speed, and a Timid nature to outspeed Pokemon such as Jynx, Vivillon, and Electivire. A Modest nature can be used if Typhlosion is on a Sticky Web team as Typhlosion will hit harder than with a Timid nature, but it will be slower than the aforementioned threats.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Specs Typhlosion is a wallbreaker, and it should be used accordingly. Use it early- and mid-game to roast walls with a full-power Eruption, and preferably when there aren't any entry hazards on the field that can take away from Typhlosion's HP and therefore reduce Eruption's power. If Typhlosion gets below 73% HP, then Fire Blast will have more Base Power and should be used. This means that even if Typhlosion switches into Stealth Rock once, Eruption will still be slightly more powerful than Fire Blast. Even though Stealth Rock removes 24% of Typhlosion's health each time it switches in, it can be exploited to put Typhlosion in Blaze activation range, and Fire Blast's power will gets a much-needed boost.

Team Options
========

Because Typhlosion depends a lot on Eruption to wallbreak, entry hazard removal is important. Therefore, spinners such as Sandslash and Cryogonal and Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine are good teammates. Teammates that lay down entry hazards are also good teammates as they can help Typhlosion wallbreak easier. Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon are good for setting up Stealth Rock, while Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Omastar are good Spikes setters, with the latter also having access to Stealth Rock. Grass-types such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and offensive Vileplume are good for removing Water-types such as Feraligatr and Lanturn that Typhlosion struggles against. Along with the other Grass-types, Exeggutor and Victreebel stand out as Chlorophyll sweepers under Sunny Day, which Typhlosion can benefit from as well. Uxie is a good Pokemon for setting up Sunny Day and Stealth Rock as well as having Memento to bring another Pokemon in safely. Liepard can utilize Prankster Sunny Day, Encore, and U-turn to do the same.

Sweepers such as Feraligatr, Slurpuff, and Vivillon that can come in after Typhlosion has broken walls are good teammates. Other Fire-types such as mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar can work well with Typhlosion to pressure the opponent's Fire-type checks and counters and wear them down to a point where they're easily taken out.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
item: Choice Scarf

Moves
========

Eruption is a strong move when at maximum HP. Fire Blast is another strong STAB move that can be used at 73% HP, when Eruption's Base Power becomes lower than Fire Blast's. Flamethrower is an option instead of Fire Blast for more consistency thanks to its accuracy, but it doesn't outdamage Eruption unless Typhlosion is at 59% HP or less. Focus Blast is used to hit Rock-types such as Probopass and Regirock, as well as Audino and Lickilicky, and Hidden Power Grass is for Rhydon along with Water-types such as Seismitoad.

Set Details
========

A straightforward EV spread is used, with maximum investment in both Special Attack and Speed. A Timid nature along with Choice Scarf allows Typhlosion to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame while still being faster than other Choice Scarf users such as Primeape, Electivire, and Jynx.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Typhlosion is a revenge killer and late-game cleaner, and it should be used accordingly. Use it mid- and late-game to revenge kill whenever needed, and preferably when there aren't any entry hazards on the field that can take away from Typhlosion's HP and therefore reduce Eruption's power. If Typhlosion gets below 73% HP, or 59% for if using Flamethrower, then Typhlosion's other Fire-type move will have more Base Power than Eruption and should be used. This means that even if Typhlosion switches into Stealth Rock once, then Eruption will still be slightly more powerful than Fire Blast. Even though Stealth Rock removes 24% of Typhlosion's health each time it switches in, it can be exploited to put Typhlosion in Blaze activation range, and Fire Blast's power will get a much-needed a boost.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal is important for Typhlosion to work, so Rapid Spin users such as Sandslash and Cryogonal and Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine are good teammates. Because Typhlosion is used as a cleaner or a late-game sweeper, hazards are good to wear down opponents. For that reason, Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon are good teammates for their ability to lay down Stealth Rock, while Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Omastar are good Spikes setters, and the last can set up Stealth Rock as well. Grass-types such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and offensive Vileplume to remove Water-types such as Feraligatr and Lanturn are appreciated. Typhlosion fits well on Sunny Day teams, so Chlorophyll sweepers such as Exeggutor and Victreebel are good teammates, as well as Sunny Day setters such as Uxie, which can set up Stealth Rock and has access to Memento to bring in a sweeper safely, and Liepard, which has priority Sunny Day, Encore, and U-turn.

Wallbreakers such as Tauros, Choice Band Sawk, and Swords Dance Feraligatr pair well with Typhlosion as it can sweep after they had have weakened the opponent's team. Other Fire-types such as mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar can work well with Typhlosion to pressure the opponent's Fire-type checks and counters and wearing them down to a point at which they're easily taken out.

Other Options
########

Typhlosion doesn't have many options that aren't outclassed by other Pokemon or its other sets. It can utilize a Sunny Day set with Heat Rock, but Typhlosion appreciates Choice Specs or Choice Scarf more, and it's better if another Pokemon sets up Sunny Day for Typhlosion. A mixed set with Expert Belt, Earthquake, Thunder Punch, and Eruption or Fire Blast can be used, but Magmortar does a better job at that. Will-O-Wisp is an option to spread status, but Typhlosion should be attacking rather than burning opponents. Finally, a Substitute + Salac or Petaya Berry set can be used to bring Typhlosion down to Blaze range, but it is easily revenge killed with priority, and Typhlosion is better off attacking from the first turn with Eruption.

Checks & Counters
########

**Entry Hazards**: The best way to keep Typhlosion in check is to lay down entry hazards and keep them up. Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, and Spikes all wear down Typhlosion incredibly fast and weaken its Eruption.

**Water-types**: Lanturn can switch in rather easily thanks to its HP and Special Defense and either gain momentum with Volt Switch or hurt Typhlosion with Scald. Even though Feraligatr can set up on Typhlosion locked into a Fire-type move, it still takes a hefty amount from a full-powered Eruption coming off of Choice Specs Typhlosion.

**Special Tanks and Walls**: Hariyama can stomach most Fire-type attacks with ease thanks to Thick Fat, and can either hurt Typhlosion with Earthquake or Close Combat or cripple it with Knock Off, removing its Choice item. Flash Fire Pokemon can switch into Typhlosion rather easily. Flareon and Ninetales both have naturally high Special Defense and can switch into anything Typhlosion has. Finally, Audino can switch in and, though it can't take a Choice Specs-boosted Fire Blast or full-power Eruption, can use Protect to drain Eruption's PP and act as a Regenerator pivot.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Choice Scarf users such as Pyroar can easily revenge kill Typhlosion. Pokemon such as Swellow and Tauros can outspeed unboosted Typhlosion and hit it hard with their STAB moves.

**Priority**: Priority moves prevent Typhlosion from spamming Eruption and can finish off Typhlosion quickly. Aqua Jet from Feraligatr, Sucker Punch from Cacturne, and Fake Out + Sucker Punch from Kangaskhan can wear it down quickly.

Last edited:
A couple things
-I don't think Modest is worth a slash on the scarf set, outspeeding other scarfers is just too important and not worth the slight increase in power
-Mention Hariyama in Checks and Counters, it is one of the premier fire-type switch-ins
-Mention the general weakness to priority moves, which prevent Typhlosion from spamming Eruption which is pretty much what it wants to do most of the time
-Mention other Fire types in Team Options - specifically Magmortar, which can beat Dragalge, Lanturn, Seismitoad etc. Fire spam is still a very potent strategy
-Slash Hidden Power Grass at least on specs, probably over Extrasensory - useful if you have ways to break down Dragalge, but still lack a way to get rid of Seismitoad, Rhydon etc.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Mention Sleep Talk on both sets; it's extremely useful for switching into Grass-types like Tangela.

QC lolimnotqc.cri/3

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Aladyyn implemented.

Expulso I don't think foregoing a coverage move for Sleep Talk is a good idea; usually Sleep Talk is used on choice Pokemon that don't need any extra coverage, Typhlosion does. I'll let QC decide I suppose.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Choice Specs should be the first set Arikado, and the set should look like this:

Choice Specs
########
nature: Timid / Modest

Hidden Power Grass is better than Focus Blast, especially on the Choice Specs set since you are already doing a ton w/ Specs Fire Blast / Eruption against the things you would usually use Focus Blast for.

I wouldnt say Typh can't beat Feraligatr btw as you can 2HKO it (it can only switch one on Specs Typhlosion).

Expulso sleep talk is rly bad on typh

aVocado

@ Everstone
I wouldnt say Typh can't beat Feraligatr btw as you can 2HKO it (it can only switch one on Specs Typhlosion).
that's poor wording on my part. What I'm trying to say is that Feraligatr can easily exploit a Typhlosion locked into a fire-type move to set up sd or dd. I'll fix it.

otherwise, implemented

edit: also added Flareon and Hariyama to c&c under "Special Tanks/Walls"

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
-On sets with earthquake mention that you should use a nature that does not lower attack
-Also an important thing to note is that entry hazard removal isnt mandatory, when using thyphlosion the two key things are eruption and blaze fire blast, if you have to come in and lose the power of eruption you can use rocks as a way to get down to blaze range without taking a hit. Very similar to the way choice specs charizard was with rocks last gen.
-Under other options Life Orb isnt a very good option because you are taking away from the HP you need for Eruption. That should be expert belt.
- Flash Fire as a whole is a good stop to thyphlosion, you already have Flareon but maybe word it a little bit better so that way it says all of them with Flareon as an example.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Remove the part about Typh being a late-game cleaner from the Specs set; you lazy copy-paster :P
Maaaybe make a mention of Sticky Web in the team options for Specs?

Also the point where Fire Blast becomes more powerful than Eruption is 74% now, due to the nerf to FireBlast. Therefore after just one rocks switchin it's still better to spam eruption, be sure to make mention of that :]

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
id put hp grass instead extrasensory on the scarf set since extra only hits draglage weakly iirc while hp grass hits toad and gives you a lot more reliable option vs rock-types and water-types

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
add entry hazard support because most of Typhlosion's counters don't have reliable recovery and really hate switching into multiple layers of Spikes meaning they can only come in a few times.

I'm inclined to shift Scarf to OO since it faces huge competition from Pyroar. If its going to be a main set make sure you say that and add reasons to use it over Scarf Pyroar

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
scarf is still useful since eruption is actually quite stronger than fire blast this gen. it can also do a lot of damage while in blaze range

aVocado

@ Everstone
add entry hazard support because most of Typhlosion's counters don't have reliable recovery and really hate switching into multiple layers of Spikes meaning they can only come in a few times.

I'm inclined to shift Scarf to OO since it faces huge competition from Pyroar. If its going to be a main set make sure you say that and add reasons to use it over Scarf Pyroar
Entry hazard support is there

as for competition from Pyroar, shouldn't that be in the overview? If so, it's already there

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if you need to mention Typh's bulk in the Overview since it relies on not taking damage to perform its best. Remove EQ from the Overview as well, if it's not on a full set there's no real need to mention it specifically. You also really to give more emphasis on Eruption because it's like Typh's main selling point: it lets Specs 2HKO every non-Fire resistant wall in the tier and even most uninvested resists.

In Moves for Specs, Extrasensory doesn't hit Sawk and Throh as Eruption and Fire Blast will always hit them harder. Similarly Focus Blast isn't for Rhydon as HP Grass hits it for the exact same amount, it's primarily for Regirock, as well as hitting Audino, Lickilicky, and Probopass if Eruption is below full.

Deslash Modest from Specs, Typh's Speed tier is too important for Vivillon / Lilligant / Zangoose / other stuff.

Your usage tips for both sets are contradictory. It says to keep it away from entry hazards at all costs but moves on to say it can abuse them? I'd tone down the "staying away from hazards" part a bit to just say it still prefers to be at full since Eruption doesn't miss.

Agreeing with FLCL about HP Grass > Extrasensory on Scarf, it's a sucky move to be locked into and only 3HKOes max HP Dragalge while HP Grass does a lot more to its intended targets.

I'd add Audino to Special Walls in C&C, it can't take two Specs Eruptions / Focus Blasts but it can pivot in, scout to see what move you're locked into, and switch into an appropriate resist. (Not Lickilicky tho cuz no Regen)

aVocado

@ Everstone
Your usage tips for both sets are contradictory. It says to keep it away from entry hazards at all costs but moves on to say it can abuse them? I'd tone down the "staying away from hazards" part a bit to just say it still prefers to be at full since Eruption doesn't miss.
It's not supposed to contradict what I said about removing hazards. What I'm trying to say is, if the user absolutely can't remove hazards then it can exploit them to get Typhlosion in blaze range. It's a point that Montsegur thought I should have in the analysis. I'll reword it to reflect that better.

As for the bulk in overview, you're right. I just thought it should be there cuz Typhlosion can take a hit or two in most cases.

I'll implement the changes.

edit: implemented.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
amcheck, implement whatever you like and don't implement whatever you don't like ^_^

add (Capitalization)
remove
(comments)

QC Checks: [ Aladyyn ] [ scorpdestroyer ] [ Soulgazer ]
GP Checks: [ ] [ ]

u wot nigga

Overview
########

Typhlosion has solid Special Attack and Speed stats, (AC) that which make it a good special attacker in the NU metagame. It also has good bulk for an offensive Pokemon, even though it relies on not losing any HP for Eruption to be at its maximum power in order to ensure a full-powered Eruption. It faces heavy competition from Pyroar, but it has a Blaze and Eruption, (AC) and that which sets it apart from other Fire-types. Also, unlike Pyroar, Typhlosion is also not weak to Mach Punch. Its movepool is varied, consisting of options such as Fire Blast, Eruption, Focus Blast, and Extrasensory, although it often relies on Hidden Power Grass to deal any significant damage to the Water-types in the tier. Sadly, it's weak to Stealth Rock, (AC) and and the abundance of priority moves on Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Kangaskhan can means Typhlosion isn't safe to spam Eruption as much as it would want to.

Choice Specs
########

Moves
========

Eruption hits ridiculously hard with Choice Specs and allows Typhlosion to break walls. Fire Blast also hits hard if Typhlosion's HP gets lower than 73%, which is the point where Fire Blast would have more Base Power than Eruption. Hidden Power Grass is used to hit Water-types in general, especially Seismitoad, along with as well as Rhydon. Extrasensory allows Typhlosion to bypass beat Dragalge and Thick Fat Hariyama, while Focus Blast hits opposing Rock-types such as Probopass and Regirock, as well as Audino and Lickilicky if Eruption isn't at maximum power.

Set Details
========

Choice Specs allows Typhlosion to act as a strong wallbreaker with its high Special Attack and Eruption. The EV spread is straightforward for any attacker, with maximum Special Attack and Speed, and a Timid nature to outspeed Pokemon such as Jynx, Vivillon, and Electivire. (RC, add period) but A Modest nature, however, can be used if its Typhlosion is used on a Sticky Web team as it hits harder, but it will be slower than the aforementioned threats if Sticky Web isn't up.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Specs Typhlosion is a wallbreaker, and should be used accordingly. Use it early- to mid-game to roast walls with a full-powered (add hyphen) Eruption, and preferably when there aren't any entry hazards on the field that can take away from Typhlosion's HP and therefore thus reduce Eruption's power. If Typhlosion's HP gets below 73% HP, then (too colloquial, try not to use too many coordinating particles in written text) using Fire Blast is better, (AC) as it will have has more Base Power then. This means that even if Typhlosion switches into Stealth Rock once, then Eruption will still be slightly more powerful than Fire Blast. Even though Stealth Rock is nasty and removes 24% of Typhlosion's health each time it switches in, it can be exploited to put Typhlosion into Blaze range where Blaze activates, and thus giving Fire Blast's power gets a much needed (remove hyphen) a power boost.

Team Options
========

Typhlosion highly depends a lot on Eruption to wallbreak and because of that, entry hazard removal is important. Therefore, spinners such as Sandslash and Cryogonal are good teammates, as well as Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine. Teammates that lay down entry hazards are also good teammates, (AC) as they can help Typhlosion wallbreak easier more easily. Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon are good for setting up Stealth Rock, while Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Omastar are good Spikes setters, with the latter also having access to Stealth Rock. Grass-types are good to remove the Water-types that Typhlosion struggles against, (AC) such as Feraligatr and Lanturn. Sceptile is good at this, as well as offensive Vileplume and Lilligant. Along with Grass-types, Exeggutor and Victreebel stand out as Chlorophyll sweepers under Sunny Day, which Typhlosion can benefit from greatly. Uxie is a good Pokemon for setting up Sunny Day as well as Stealth Rock; (add semicolon) and having it also has access to Memento to bring another Pokemon safely. Liepard can utilize Prankster Sunny Day, Encore, and U-turn to do the same.

Sweepers that can come in after Typhlosion had has broken walls are good teammates, (AC) as they appreciate Typhlosion's wallbreaking capabilities. Feraligatr, Slurpuff, and Vivillon are good examples. Other Fire-types can work well with Typhlosion to pressure the opponent's Fire-type checks and counters and wearing them down to a point where they're easily breakable by one of them can easily be broken down. Mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar are good choices for that reason.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Eruption is a strong move when Typhlosion is at maximum HP and therefore, maximum power. Fire Blast is another strong STAB move that can be used when Eruption's Base Power becomes lower than Fire Blast, which is at around 73% HP. Flamethrower is an option instead of over Fire Blast for more consistency thanks to its accuracy, but it doesn't outdamage Eruption unless Typhlosion is at 59% HP or less. Focus Blast is used to hit Rock-types such as Probopass and Regirock, as well as Audino and Lickilicky, while Hidden Power Grass is for Seismitoad and Rhydon along with other Water-types.

Set Details
========

A straightforward EV spread is used, with maximum investment in both Special Attack and Speed. A Timid nature along with Choice Scarf allows Typhlosion to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, while still being faster than other Choice Scarf users such as Primeape, Electivire, and Jynx.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Typhlosion is a revenge killer and late-game cleaner, and should be used accordingly. Use it mid- to late-game to revenge kill whenever needed, and preferably when there aren't any entry hazards on the field that can take away from Typhlosion's HP and therefore thus reduce Eruption's power. If Typhlosion gets below 73% HP (or 59% for Flamethrower), then using Fire Blast is better, (AC) as it will have has more Base Power then. This means that even if Typhlosion switches into Stealth Rock once, then Eruption will still be slightly more powerful than Fire Blast. Even though Stealth Rock is nasty and removes 24% of Typhlosion's health each time it switches in, it can be exploited to put Typhlosion into Blaze range where Blaze activates, and thus giving Fire Blast's power gets a much needed (remove hyphen) a power boost. (please rewrite this a little, I know it works basically the same but it comes across kind of odd when it's literally copy-pasted)

Team Options
========

Hazard removal is important for Typhlosion to work. (RC, add period) Therefore, (AC) Rapid Spin users such as Sandslash and Cryogonal are good teammates, as well as Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine. Because Typhlosion is used as a cleaner or a late-game sweeper, entry hazards are good to wear down opponents. For that reason, Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon are good teammates for their ability to lay down Stealth Rock, while Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Omastar are good Spikes setters. (RC, add period) and The latter can also set up Stealth Rock as well. Grass-types to remove Water-types such as Feraligatr and Lanturn are appreciated. Sceptile is a good teammate for that reason, as well as offensive Vileplume. Typhlosion fits well on Sunny Day teams, so Chlorophyll sweepers such as Exeggutor and Victreebel are good teammates (it reads more comfortable when this is a little more to the front of the sentence), as well as Sunny Day setters such as Uxie, (AC) which can set up Stealth Rock as well as having and has access to Memento to bring in a sweeper safely, and Liepard, (AC) who which has access to priority Sunny Day, Encore, and U-turn, are good teammates.

Additionally, wallbreakers are good to pair with Typhlosion, (AC) as it can sweep after they had have weakened the opponent's team. These include Tauros, Choice Band Sawk, and Swords Dance Feraligatr. Other Fire-types can work well with Typhlosion to pressure the opponent's Fire-type checks and counters and wearing them down to a point where they're easily breakable by one of them can easily be broken down. Mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar are good choices for that reason.

Other Options
########

Typhlosion doesn't have many other options that aren't outclassed by other Pokemon in the tier. It can utilize a Sunny Day set with Heat Rock, but Typhlosion appreciates Choice Specs or Choice Scarf more, and it's better if another Pokemon sets up Sunny Day rather than Typhlosion. A mixed set with Expert Belt, Earthquake, Thunder Punch, and Eruption or Fire Blast can be used, but Magmortar does a better job at doing that this. Will-O-Wisp is an option to spread status, but Typhlosion should be attacking rather than burning opponents. Finally, a Substitute + Salac or Petaya Berry can be used to bring Typhlosion down to Blaze range where Fire Blast is stronger and then sweep, but it is easily revenge killed with priority, and Typhlosion is better off attacking from the first turn with Eruption.

Checks & Counters
########
**Entry Hazards**: The best way to keep Typhlosion in check is to lay down hazards and keep them. Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, and Spikes all wear down Typhlosion incredibly fast and weaken its Eruption.

**Water-types**: Lanturn can switch in rather easily thanks to its HP and Special Defense, and allowing it to gain momentum with Volt Switch or hurt Typhlosion with Scald. Feraligatr can set up on a Typhlosion locked into a Fire-type move, (RC) and has Aqua Jet to revenge kill Typhlosion.

**Special Tanks/Walls**: Hariyama has Thick Fat and can stomach most Fire-type attacks with ease. (RC, add period) and It can also hurt Typhlosion with Earthquake or Close Combat, or as well as (a comma before 'or' requires a new verb in this case or removing the comma, but I would kind of butcher it that way, so I worked around it. Don't know if it's entirely adequate) cripple it with Knock Off, removing its Choice item. Additionally, Flash Fire Pokemon can switch into Typhlosion rather easily. Flareon and Ninetales both have naturally high SpD and can switch into anything Typhlosion has. Finally, while Audino can switch in and while it can't take a Specs Fire Blast or full power Eruption, it can still use Protect to drain their PP out and act as a pivot with Regenerator.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Choice Scarf users such as Pyroar can easily revenge kill Typhlosion. Pokemon like Swellow and Tauros can outspeed and hit hard with their STAB moves.

**Priority**: Priority moves prevent Typhlosion from spamming Eruption and can finish off Typhlosion quickly. Aqua Jet from Feraligatr, Sucker Punch from Cacturne, and Fake Out + Sucker Punch from Kangaskhan can wear it down quickly.[/quote]

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck :) Ninja'd by The Dutch Plumberjack, but hope this helps anyway.

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Typhlosion'has (apostrophe) solid Special Attack and Speed stats that make it a good special attacker in the NU metagame. It also has good bulk for an offensive Pokemon, even though it relies on not losing any HP for Eruption to be at its maximum power. It faces heavy competition from Pyroar, but it has a Blaze and Eruption and that sets it apart from other Fire-types. Also, unlike Pyroar, Typhlosion is also not weak to Mach Punch. Its movepool is varied, consisting of containing options such as Fire Blast, Eruption, Focus Blast, and Extrasensory, although it often relies on Hidden Power Grass to deal any significant damage to the Water-types in the tier. Sadly, its weakness to Stealth Rock and and the abundance of priority moves on Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Kangaskhan can mean Typhlosion isn't safe to spam Eruption as much as it would want to.

Choice Specs
########

Moves
========

Eruption hits ridiculously hard with Choice Specs and allows Typhlosion to wallbreak break walls. Fire Blast also hits hard if Typhlosion's HP gets lower than 73%, which is the point where at which Fire Blast would hasve more Base Power than Eruption. Hidden Power Grass is used to hit Water-types in general, especially Seismitoad, along with Rhydon. Extrasensory allows Typhlosion to bypass hit Dragalge and Thick Fat Hariyama super effectively, while Focus Blast hits opposing Rock-types such as Probopass and Regirock, as well as hitting Audino and Lickilicky harder if Eruption isn't at maximum power.

Set Details
========

Choice Specs in conjunction with Typhlosion's high Special Attack and Eruption allows Typhlosion it to act as a strong wallbreaker with its high Special Attack and Eruption. The EV spread is straightforward for any attacker, with maximum Special Attack and Speed, and a Timid nature to outspeed Pokemon such as Jynx, Vivillon, and Electivire. (period) , but A Modest nature can be used if its Typhlosion is on a Sticky Web team as it will hits harder than with a Timid nature, but it will be slower than the aforementioned threats.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Specs Typhlosion is a wallbreaker, and it should be used accordingly. Use it early- to mid-game to roast walls with a full power Eruption, and preferably when there aren't any hazards on the field that can take away from Typhlosion's HP and therefore reduce Eruption's power. If Typhlosion gets below 73% HP, then using Fire Blast is better as it will have more Base Power and should be used then. This means that even if Typhlosion switches into Stealth Rock once, then Eruption will still be slightly more powerful than Fire Blast. Even though Stealth Rock is nasty and removes 24% of Typhlosion's health each time it switches in, it can be exploited to put Typhlosion in Blaze activation range where Blaze activates, and Fire Blast's power will gets a much-needed a boost.

Team Options
========

Typhlosion depends a lot on Eruption to wallbreak and Because Typhlosion depends a lot on Eruption to wallbreak of that, entry hazard removal is important. Therefore, spinners such as Sandslash and Cryogonal and Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine are good teammates, as well as Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine. Teammates that lay down entry hazards are also good teammates as they can help Typhlosion wallbreak easier. Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon are good for setting up Stealth Rock, while Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Omastar are good Spikes setters, with the latter last also having access to Stealth Rock. Grass-types such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and offensive Vileplume are good to remove the Water-types such as Feraligatr and Lanturn that Typhlosion struggles against such as Feraligatr and Lanturn. Sceptile is good at this, as well as offensive Vileplume and Lilligant. Along with the other Grass-types, Exeggutor and Victreebel stand out as Chlorophyll sweepers under Sunny Day, which Typhlosion can benefit from greatly. Uxie is a good Pokemon for setting up Sunny Day as well as and Stealth Rock as well as and having access to Memento to bring another Pokemon in safely. Liepard can utilize Prankster Sunny Day, Encore, and U-turn to do the same.

Sweepers such as Feraligatr, Slurpuff, and Vivillon that can come in after Typhlosion had has broken walls are good teammates as they appreciate Typhlosion's wallbreaking capabilities. Feraligatr, Slurpuff, and Vivillon are good examples. Other Fire-types such as mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar can work well with Typhlosion to pressure the opponent's Fire-type checks and counters and wearing them down to a point where they're easily taken down breakable by one of them. Mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar are good choices for that reason.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Eruption is a strong move when at maximum HP and therefore, maximum power. Fire Blast is another strong STAB move that can be used at 73% HP, when Eruption's Base Power becomes lower than Fire Blast's Base Power, which is at around 73% HP. Flamethrower is an option instead of Fire Blast for more consistency thanks to its accuracy, but it doesn't outdamage Eruption unless Typhlosion is at 59% HP or less. Focus Blast is used to hit Rock-types such as Probopass and Regirock, as well as Audino and Lickilicky, while Hidden Power Grass is for Seismitoad and Rhydon along with other Water-types such as Seismitoad.

Set Details
========

A straightforward EV spread is used, with maximum investment in both Special Attack and Speed. A Timid nature along with Choice Scarf allows Typhlosion to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, while still being faster than other Choice Scarf users such as Primeape, Electivire, and Jynx.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Typhlosion is a revenge killer and late-game cleaner, and it should be used accordingly. Use it mid- to late-game to revenge kill whenever needed, and preferably when there aren't any hazards on the field that can take away from Typhlosion's HP and therefore reduce Eruption's power. If Typhlosion gets below 73% HP, (comma, remove parentheses) (or 59% for if using Flamethrower), then Typhlosion's other Fire-type move of choice will have more Base Power than Eruption and should be used using Fire Blast is better as it will have more Base Power then. This means that even if Typhlosion switches into Stealth Rock once, then Eruption will still be slightly more powerful than Fire Blast. Even though Stealth Rock is nasty and removes 24% of Typhlosion's health each time it switches in, it can be exploited to put Typhlosion in Blaze activation range where Blaze activates, and Fire Blast's power will gets a much-needed a boost.

Team Options
========

Hazard removal is important for Typhlosion to work, therefore so Rapid Spin users such as Sandslash and Cryogonal and Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine are good teammates, as well as Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine. Because Typhlosion is used as a cleaner or a late-game sweeper, hazards are good to wear down opponents. For that reason, Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon are good teammates for their ability to lay down Stealth Rock, while Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Omastar are good Spikes setters, and the latter last can also set up Stealth Rock as well. Grass-types such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and Offensive Vileplume to remove Water-types such as Feraligatr and Lanturn are appreciated. Sceptile is a good teammate for that reason, as well as offensive Vileplume. Typhlosion fits well on Sunny Day teams, so Chlorophyll sweepers such as Exeggutor and Victreebel are good teammates, as well as Sunny Day setters such as Uxie which can set up Stealth Rock as well as having access to Memento to bring in a sweeper safely, and Liepard who which has priority Sunny Day, Encore, and U-turn, are good teammates.

Additionally, Wallbreakers such as Tauros, Choice Band Sawk, and Swords Dance Feraligatr are good to pair well with Typhlosion as it can sweep after they had have weakened the opponent's team. These include Tauros, Choice Band Sawk, and Swords Dance Feraligatr. Other Fire-types such as mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar can work well with Typhlosion to pressure the opponent's Fire-type checks and counters and wearing them down to a point where at which they're easily taken down breakable by one of them. Mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar are good choices for that reason.

Other Options
########

Typhlosion doesn't have many other options that aren't outclassed by other Pokemon or its other sets in the tier. It can utilize a Sunny Day set with Heat Rock, but Typhlosion appreciates Choice Specs or Choice Scarf more, and it's better if another Pokemon sets up Sunny Day for Typhlosion to do its job under rather than Typhlosion. A mixed set with Expert Belt, Earthquake, Thunder Punch, and Eruption or Fire Blast can be used, but Magmortar does a better job at doing that. Will-O-Wisp is an option to spread status, but Typhlosion should be attacking rather than burning opponents. Finally, a Substitute + Salac Berry or Substitute + Petaya Berry set can be used to bring Typhlosion down to Blaze range where Fire Blast is stronger and then sweep, but it is easily revenge killed with priority, and Typhlosion is better off attacking from the first turn with Eruption.

Checks & Counters
########

**Entry Hazards**: The best way to keep Typhlosion in check is to lay down hazards and keep them up. Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, and Spikes all wear down Typhlosion incredibly fast and weaken its Eruption.

**Water-types**: Lanturn can switch in rather easily thanks to its HP and Special Defense, (remove comma) and either gain momentum with Volt Switch or hurt Typhlosion with Scald. Feraligatr can set up on a Typhlosion locked into a Fire-type move, and has Aqua Jet to revenge kill Typhlosion.

**Special Tanks/ (remove slash) and Walls**: Hariyama has Thick Fat and can stomach most Fire-type attacks with ease thanks to Thick Fat, and can either hurt Typhlosion with Earthquake or Close Combat, or cripple it with Knock Off, removing its Choice item. Additionally, Flash Fire Pokemon can switch into Typhlosion rather easily. Flareon and Ninetales both have naturally high Special Defense and can switch into anything Typhlosion has. Finally, Audino can switch in and, (comma) while it can't take a Choice Specs Fire Blast or full power Eruption, can still use Protect to drain their Typhlosion's PP out and act as a Regenerator pivot with Regenerator.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Choice Scarf users such as Pyroar can easily revenge kill Typhlosion. Pokemon like such as Swellow and Tauros can outspeed Typhlosion and hit it hard with their STAB moves.

**Priority**: Priority moves prevent Typhlosion from spamming Eruption and can finish off Typhlosion quickly. Aqua Jet from Feraligatr, Sucker Punch from Cacturne, and Fake Out + Sucker Punch from Kangaskhan can wear it down quickly.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Arikado

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Typhlosion's solid Special Attack and Speed stats make it a good special attacker in the NU metagame. It also has good bulk for an offensive Pokemon, even though it relies on not losing any HP for Eruption to be at its maximum power. It faces heavy competition from Pyroar, but Blaze and Eruption set it apart from other Fire-types. Also, unlike Pyroar, Typhlosion is not weak to Mach Punch. Its movepool is varied, containing options such as Fire Blast, Eruption, Focus Blast, and Extrasensory, although it often relies on Hidden Power Grass to deal any significant damage to the Water-types in the tier. Sadly, its weakness to Stealth Rock and and the abundance of priority moves on Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Kangaskhan can mean Typhlosion isn't safe to spam Eruption as much as it would want to.

Choice Specs
########

Moves
========

Eruption hits ridiculously hard with Choice Specs and allows Typhlosion to wallbreak. Fire Blast also hits hard if Typhlosion's HP gets lower than 73% or ### HP, which is the point at which Fire Blast has more Base Power than Eruption. Hidden Power Grass is used to hit Water-types, especially Seismitoad, along with Rhydon. Extrasensory allows Typhlosion to hit Dragalge and Thick Fat Hariyama super effectively, while Focus Blast hits opposing Rock-types such as Probopass and Regirock, as well as hitting Audino and Lickilicky harder if Eruption isn't at maximum power.

Set Details
========

Choice Specs in conjunction with Typhlosion's high Special Attack and Eruption allows it to act as a strong wallbreaker. The EV spread is straightforward for any attacker, with maximum Special Attack and Speed, and a Timid nature to outspeed Pokemon such as Jynx, Vivillon, and Electivire. A Modest nature can be used if Typhlosion is on a Sticky Web team as it Typhlosion will hits harder than with a Timid nature, but it will be slower than the aforementioned threats.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Specs Typhlosion is a wallbreaker, and it should be used accordingly. Use it early- and to mid-game to roast walls with a full-power Eruption, and preferably when there aren't any entry hazards on the field that can take away from Typhlosion's HP and therefore reduce Eruption's power. If Typhlosion gets below 73% HP, then Fire Blast will have more Base Power and should be used. This means that even if Typhlosion switches into Stealth Rock once, Eruption will still be slightly more powerful than Fire Blast. Even though Stealth Rock removes 24% of Typhlosion's health each time it switches in, it can be exploited to put Typhlosion in Blaze activation range, and Fire Blast's power will gets a much-needed boost.

Team Options
========

Because Typhlosion depends a lot on Eruption to wallbreak, entry hazard removal is important. Therefore, spinners such as Sandslash and Cryogonal and Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine are good teammates. Teammates that lay down entry hazards are also good teammates as they can help Typhlosion wallbreak easier. Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon are good for setting up Stealth Rock, while Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Omastar are good Spikes setters, with the latter last also having access to Stealth Rock. Grass-types such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and offensive Vileplume are good to remove the Water-types such as Feraligatr and Lanturn that Typhlosion struggles against. Along with the other Grass-types, Exeggutor and Victreebel stand out as Chlorophyll sweepers under Sunny Day, which Typhlosion can benefit from greatly. Uxie is a good Pokemon for setting up Sunny Day and Stealth Rock as well as having Memento to bring another Pokemon in safely. Liepard can utilize Prankster Sunny Day, Encore, and U-turn to do the same.

Sweepers such as Feraligatr, Slurpuff, and Vivillon that can come in after Typhlosion has broken walls are good teammates as they appreciate Typhlosion's wallbreaking capabilities. Other Fire-types such as mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar can work well with Typhlosion to pressure the opponent's Fire-type checks and counters and wear them down to a point where they're easily taken out down.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Eruption is a strong move when at maximum HP. Fire Blast is another strong STAB move that can be used at 73% HP, when Eruption's Base Power becomes lower than Fire Blast's Base Power. Flamethrower is an option instead of Fire Blast for more consistency thanks to its accuracy, but it doesn't outdamage Eruption unless Typhlosion is at 59% HP or less. Focus Blast is used to hit Rock-types such as Probopass and Regirock, as well as Audino and Lickilicky, while and Hidden Power Grass is for Rhydon along with Water-types such as Seismitoad.

Set Details
========

A straightforward EV spread is used, with maximum investment in both Special Attack and Speed. A Timid nature along with Choice Scarf allows Typhlosion to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, (RC) while still being faster than other Choice Scarf users such as Primeape, Electivire, and Jynx.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Typhlosion is a revenge killer and late-game cleaner, and it should be used accordingly. Use it mid- to and late-game to revenge kill whenever needed, and preferably when there aren't any entry hazards on the field that can take away from Typhlosion's HP and therefore reduce Eruption's power. If Typhlosion gets below 73% HP, or 59% for if using Flamethrower, then Typhlosion's other Fire-type move of choice will have more Base Power than Eruption and should be used. This means that even if Typhlosion switches into Stealth Rock once, then Eruption will still be slightly more powerful than Fire Blast. Even though Stealth Rock removes 24% of Typhlosion's health each time it switches in, it can be exploited to put Typhlosion in Blaze activation range, and Fire Blast's power will get a much-needed a boost.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal is important for Typhlosion to work, so Rapid Spin users such as Sandslash and Cryogonal and Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine are good teammates. Because Typhlosion is used as a cleaner or a late-game sweeper, hazards are good to wear down opponents. For that reason, Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon are good teammates for their ability to lay down Stealth Rock, while Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Omastar are good Spikes setters, and the last can set up Stealth Rock as well. Grass-types such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and offensive Vileplume to remove Water-types such as Feraligatr and Lanturn are appreciated. Typhlosion fits well on Sunny Day teams, so Chlorophyll sweepers such as Exeggutor and Victreebel are good teammates, as well as Sunny Day setters such as Uxie, (AC) which can set up Stealth Rock as well as having and has access to Memento to bring in a sweeper safely, and Liepard, (AC) which has priority Sunny Day, Encore, and U-turn.

Wallbreakers such as Tauros, Choice Band Sawk, and Swords Dance Feraligatr pair well with Typhlosion as it can sweep after they had have weakened the opponent's team. Other Fire-types such as mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar can work well with Typhlosion to pressure the opponent's Fire-type checks and counters and wearing them down to a point at which they're easily taken out down.

Other Options
########

Typhlosion doesn't have many options that aren't outclassed by other Pokemon or its other sets. It can utilize a Sunny Day set with Heat Rock, but Typhlosion appreciates Choice Specs or Choice Scarf more, and it's better if another Pokemon sets up Sunny Day for Typhlosion to do its job under. A mixed set with Expert Belt, Earthquake, Thunder Punch, and Eruption or Fire Blast can be used, but Magmortar does a better job at that. Will-O-Wisp is an option to spread status, but Typhlosion should be attacking rather than burning opponents. Finally, a Substitute + Salac Berry or Substitute + Petaya Berry set can be used to bring Typhlosion down to Blaze range, but it is easily revenge killed with priority, and Typhlosion is better off attacking from the first turn with Eruption.

Checks & Counters
########

**Entry Hazards**: The best way to keep Typhlosion in check is to lay down entry hazards and keep them up. Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, and Spikes all wear down Typhlosion incredibly fast and weaken its Eruption.

**Water-types**: Lanturn can switch in rather easily thanks to its HP and Special Defense and either gain momentum with Volt Switch or hurt Typhlosion with Scald. Even though Feraligatr can set up on Typhlosion locked into a Fire-type move, it still takes a hefty amount from a full-powered Eruption coming off of Choice Specs Typhlosion.

**Special Tanks and Walls**: Hariyama can stomach most Fire-type attacks with ease thanks to Thick Fat, and can either hurt Typhlosion with Earthquake or Close Combat, (RC) or cripple it with Knock Off, removing its Choice item. Additionally, Flash Fire Pokemon can switch into Typhlosion rather easily. Flareon and Ninetales both have naturally high Special Defense and can switch into anything Typhlosion has. Finally, Audino can switch in and, while it can't take a Choice Specs-boosted Fire Blast or full-power Eruption, can use Protect to drain Typhlosion Eruption's PP and act as a Regenerator pivot.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Choice Scarf users such as Pyroar can easily revenge kill Typhlosion. Pokemon such as Swellow and Tauros can outspeed unboosted Typhlosion and hit it hard with their STAB moves.

1/2

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove
Add
Overview
########

Typhlosion's solid Special Attack and Speed stats make it a good special attacker in the NU metagame. It also has good bulk for an offensive Pokemon, even though it relies on not losing any HP for Eruption to be at maximum power. It faces heavy competition from Pyroar, but Blaze and Eruption set it apart from other Fire-types. Also, unlike Pyroar, Typhlosion is not weak to Mach Punch. Its movepool is varied, containing options such as Fire Blast, Eruption, Focus Blast, and Extrasensory, although it often relies on Hidden Power Grass to deal any significant damage to the Water-types in the tier. Sadly, its weakness to Stealth Rock and and the abundance of priority moves on Pokemon such as Feraligatr and Kangaskhan can mean Typhlosion isn't safe to spam Eruption as much as it would want to.

Choice Specs
########

Moves
========

Eruption hits ridiculously hard with Choice Specs and allows Typhlosion to wallbreak. Fire Blast also hits hard if Typhlosion's HP gets lower than 73% or 229 HP, at which is the point at which Fire Blast has more Base Power than Eruption. Hidden Power Grass is used to hit Water-types, especially Seismitoad, along with Rhydon. Extrasensory allows Typhlosion to hit Dragalge and Thick Fat Hariyama super effectively, whileand Focus Blast hits opposing Rock-types such as Probopass and Regirock, as well as hitting Audino and Lickilicky harder if Eruption isn't at maximum power.

Set Details
========

Choice Specs in conjunction with Typhlosion's high Special Attack and Eruption allows it to act as a strong wallbreaker. The EV spread is straightforward for any attacker, with maximum Special Attack and Speed, and a Timid nature to outspeed Pokemon such as Jynx, Vivillon, and Electivire. A Modest nature can be used if Typhlosion is on a Sticky Web team as Typhlosion will hit harder than with a Timid nature, but it will be slower than the aforementioned threats.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Specs Typhlosion is a wallbreaker, and it should be used accordingly. Use it early- and mid-game to roast walls with a full-power Eruption, and preferably when there aren't any entry hazards on the field that can take away from Typhlosion's HP and therefore reduce Eruption's power. If Typhlosion gets below 73% HP, then Fire Blast will have more Base Power and should be used. This means that even if Typhlosion switches into Stealth Rock once, Eruption will still be slightly more powerful than Fire Blast. Even though Stealth Rock removes 24% of Typhlosion's health each time it switches in, it can be exploited to put Typhlosion in Blaze activation range, and Fire Blast's power will gets a much-needed boost.

Team Options
========

Because Typhlosion depends a lot on Eruption to wallbreak, entry hazard removal is important. Therefore, spinners such as Sandslash and Cryogonal and Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine are good teammates. Teammates that lay down entry hazards are also good teammates as they can help Typhlosion wallbreak easier. Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon are good for setting up Stealth Rock, while Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Omastar are good Spikes setters, with the latter also having access to Stealth Rock. Grass-types such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and offensive Vileplume are good tofor remove theing Water-types such as Feraligatr and Lanturn that Typhlosion struggles against. Along with the other Grass-types, Exeggutor and Victreebel stand out as Chlorophyll sweepers under Sunny Day, which Typhlosion can benefit from greatlyas well. Uxie is a good Pokemon for setting up Sunny Day and Stealth Rock as well as having Memento to bring another Pokemon in safely. Liepard can utilize Prankster Sunny Day, Encore, and U-turn to do the same.

Sweepers such as Feraligatr, Slurpuff, and Vivillon that can come in after Typhlosion has broken walls are good teammates. Other Fire-types such as mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar can work well with Typhlosion to pressure the opponent's Fire-type checks and counters and wear them down to a point where they're easily taken out.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Eruption is a strong move when at maximum HP. Fire Blast is another strong STAB move that can be used at 73% HP, when Eruption's Base Power becomes lower than Fire Blast's. Flamethrower is an option instead of Fire Blast for more consistency thanks to its accuracy, but it doesn't outdamage Eruption unless Typhlosion is at 59% HP or less. Focus Blast is used to hit Rock-types such as Probopass and Regirock, as well as Audino and Lickilicky, and Hidden Power Grass is for Rhydon along with Water-types such as Seismitoad.

Set Details
========

A straightforward EV spread is used, with maximum investment in both Special Attack and Speed. A Timid nature along with Choice Scarf allows Typhlosion to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame while still being faster than other Choice Scarf users such as Primeape, Electivire, and Jynx.

Usage Tips
========

Choice Scarf Typhlosion is a revenge killer and late-game cleaner, and it should be used accordingly. Use it mid- and late-game to revenge kill whenever needed, and preferably when there aren't any entry hazards on the field that can take away from Typhlosion's HP and therefore reduce Eruption's power. If Typhlosion gets below 73% HP, or 59% for if using Flamethrower, then Typhlosion's other Fire-type move of choice will have more Base Power than Eruption and should be used. This means that even if Typhlosion switches into Stealth Rock once, then Eruption will still be slightly more powerful than Fire Blast. Even though Stealth Rock removes 24% of Typhlosion's health each time it switches in, it can be exploited to put Typhlosion in Blaze activation range, and Fire Blast's power will get a much-needed a boost.

Team Options
========

Entry hazard removal is important for Typhlosion to work, so Rapid Spin users such as Sandslash and Cryogonal and Defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine are good teammates. Because Typhlosion is used as a cleaner or a late-game sweeper, hazards are good to wear down opponents. For that reason, Seismitoad, Sandslash, and Rhydon are good teammates for their ability to lay down Stealth Rock, while Qwilfish, Accelgor, and Omastar are good Spikes setters, and the last can set up Stealth Rock as well. Grass-types such as Sceptile, Lilligant, and offensive Vileplume to remove Water-types such as Feraligatr and Lanturn are appreciated. Typhlosion fits well on Sunny Day teams, so Chlorophyll sweepers such as Exeggutor and Victreebel are good teammates, as well as Sunny Day setters such as Uxie, which can set up Stealth Rock and has access to Memento to bring in a sweeper safely, and Liepard, which has priority Sunny Day, Encore, and U-turn.

Wallbreakers such as Tauros, Choice Band Sawk, and Swords Dance Feraligatr pair well with Typhlosion as it can sweep after they had have weakened the opponent's team. Other Fire-types such as mixed Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar can work well with Typhlosion to pressure the opponent's Fire-type checks and counters and wearing them down to a point at which they're easily taken out.

Other Options
########

Typhlosion doesn't have many options that aren't outclassed by other Pokemon or its other sets. It can utilize a Sunny Day set with Heat Rock, but Typhlosion appreciates Choice Specs or Choice Scarf more, and it's better if another Pokemon sets up Sunny Day for Typhlosion. A mixed set with Expert Belt, Earthquake, Thunder Punch, and Eruption or Fire Blast can be used, but Magmortar does a better job at that. Will-O-Wisp is an option to spread status, but Typhlosion should be attacking rather than burning opponents. Finally, a Substitute + Salac or Petaya Berry set can be used to bring Typhlosion down to Blaze range, but it is easily revenge killed with priority, and Typhlosion is better off attacking from the first turn with Eruption.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Tanks and Walls**: Hariyama can stomach most Fire-type attacks with ease thanks to Thick Fat, and can either hurt Typhlosion with Earthquake or Close Combat or cripple it with Knock Off, removing its Choice item. Flash Fire Pokemon can switch into Typhlosion rather easily. Flareon and Ninetales both have naturally high Special Defense and can switch into anything Typhlosion has. Finally, Audino can switch in and, whilethough it can't take a Choice Specs-boosted Fire Blast or full-power Eruption, can use Protect to drain Eruption's PP and act as a Regenerator pivot.

GP Approved 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)