NU Armaldo [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

This is my first time, so, uh, here we go!

Overview
########
  • Access to Rapid Spin
  • Outclassed by Sandslash and Claydol in a solely spinning role, as they both have greater resistance to entry hazards granting them better chances to spin. Outclassed by Crustle in any setup role.
  • Armaldo's main niche is to spin on rain teams, utilizing high speed with Swift Swim and strong offensive presence to spin and dish out strong hits.
  • Weak to Stealth Rock, which severely hampers Armaldo's ability to spin or do any other job
  • Semi-unique typing that is completely useless and grants Armaldo common weaknesses (mention Water and Rock-type) and two mostly useless resistances in Normal and Poison.
  • Armaldo can check Normal-types and spin easily against them. Armaldo specifically checks Kangaskhan well.
  • Armaldo is useful on rain teams for his ability to take on bulky Grass-types that other Pokemon on rain teams have trouble with. X-Scissor can 2HKO physically defensive Vileplume with Stealth Rock, while Stone Edge can 2HKO without it. Armaldo can easily OHKO all other Grass-types weak to X-Scissor.
  • Armaldo generally has the power to break through most spinblockers.

Offensive Swift Swim Spinner
########
name: Offensive Swift Swim Spinner
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Aqua Tail
move 3: X-Scissor / Stone Edge
move 4: Knock Off / Stone Edge
ability: Swift Swim
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
  • Rapid Spin is the most important move of the set, and is used to remove hazards.
  • When boosted by rain, Aqua Tail is stronger than X-Scissor. It us useful to beat the frailer spinblockers in Mismagius and Rotom.
  • When out of rain, X-Scissor is Armaldo's most reliable STAB move. However, Armaldo generally wants to stay in rain. X-Scissor easily deals with Grass-types that are usually troublesome for Rain teams.
  • Knock Off can be used to hit Gourgeist, while Stone Edge is a useful secondary STAB to hit Mantine and Pelipper, both of which are problems for rain teams.

Set Details
========
  • 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature allows Armaldo to outspeed up to Swellow and Adamant Scarf Sawk
  • The Attack EVs and Life Orb are used to maximize Armaldo's damage output

Usage Tips
========
  • Although Armaldo is a spinner, you shouldn't be mindlessly spamming Rapid Spin.
  • Under the rain, Armaldo is a sweeper! With invested base 125 Attack and Life Orb, Armaldo can deal serious damage. Utilize his strong offensive presence and blazing speed with Swift Swim to fire off strong attacks, and spin under the right circumstances.
  • Under the rain, Armaldo can spin and tank against Kangaskhan and Kecleon, which are both bothersome threats for fellow rain sweepers.
  • Armaldo can spin best against Normal-types, and specifically Kangaskhan, as many Normal-types cannot threaten him.
  • Armaldo's strong Bug STAB in X-Scissor easily deals with Grass-types that are usually troublesome for Rain teams.
  • Some balanced teams employ Toxic Spikes to deal with rain teams, and Armaldo can get rid of these if necessary.

Team Options
========
  • Being only viable in rain teams, Armaldo needs team members that make a rain team. Rain Dance users such as Uxie and other Swift Swim sweepers such as Seismitoad and Ludicolo are examples of rain team members.
  • Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock such as Sneasel or Pokemon holding a Focus Sash such as Jynx appreciate Armaldo's ability to spin.
  • Ludicolo, Seismitoad, and Poliwrath all cover Armaldo's weaknesses well, and can fit onto rain teams.

Other Options
########
  • Although a bulky set invested in HP and Attack may seem appealing, Armaldo cannot run such a set very well because he loses 25% of his HP every time he switches into Stealth Rock, has mostly useless resists, and is outclassed by Sandslash in this role.
  • Stealth Rock - Although useful, Armaldo doesn't really get free turns to use SR, and Armaldo should be firing off powerful moves instead of setting up rocks
  • Swords Dance - When combined with Swift Swim and Armaldo's high power, Swords Dance can actually work quite decently. However, Armaldo has issues finding turns to setup, and Beartic can perform this role somewhat better.
  • Choice Band - Armaldo can take advantage of his high power with Choice Band, however Armaldo's typing and weakness to Stealth Rock lets him down.
  • Rock Polish - Armaldo has great power, and just enough speed to clean up with Rock Polish, however Armaldo's poor typing leaves him few chances to set up. Additionally, Shell Smash Crustle outclasses Armaldo in this role.

Checks & Counters
########
**Stealth Rock**: Being weak to the hazards he's supposed to clear, Armaldo's defensive capabilities are severely hampered by losing 25% of his health when switching in.

**Super Effective Attacks**: While Armaldo's physical bulk is decent, he is unable to make full use of it due to his exploitable weaknesses. Common physical threats such as Archeops can hit Armaldo with STAB super effective attacks, easily KOing Armaldo.

**Special Attacks**: With mostly useless resistances and mediocre Special Defense, Armaldo is easily KOed by special attacks.

**Faster Pokemon**: When not under Rain, Armaldo is quite slow, resulting in many Pokemon outspeeding him and KOing him before he can do anything.

**Fighting-types**: Resisting both of Armaldo's STABs as well as Knock Off, Fighting-types only fear Aqua Tail, which becomes quite weak when not under rain.

Overview
########

There are only two Pokemon in NU with access to both Swift Swim and Rapid Spin. Armaldo is one of them, but it is almost completely outclassed by the other, Kabutops. When considering using Armaldo on your team, Kabutops is almost always the better choice. However, Armaldo has two small advantages over Kabutops which must be utilized when using Armaldo. The first advantage is having better matchups with Psychic-types, due to Armaldo's STAB X-Scissor. The second is Armaldo's better matchups with Normal-types, due to not being weak to Fighting or Ground. Armaldo should only be used if these two advantages are valued over performing worse in all other aspects. Despite its flaws, Armaldo can be a decent Swift Swim sweeper that can support its team with entry hazard removal. Outclassed in a solely spinning role as well as a setup role, Armaldo must be utilized on a rain team in order to avoid being outclassed, where it can use its high Speed under rain and strong offensive presence to spin and dish out strong hits. In addition to Rapid Spin, Armaldo's movepool offers unique coverage in X-Scissor, which is valued on rain teams for its ability to take on Grass-types that rain teams have trouble with, such as Lilligant and Ludicolo. Armaldo also has access to Knock Off, allowing it to break through most spinblockers. Unfortunately, Armaldo's semi-unique typing is a burden. It loses 25% when switching into the very hazards it's supposed to remove, has common weaknesses in Water and Rock, and has two mostly useless resistances in Normal and Poison. However, Armaldo's Normal resistance does come in use against Normal-types such as Kangaskhan, which Armaldo can tank and spin well against.

Offensive Swift Swim Spinner
########
name: Offensive Swift Swim Spinner
move 2: Aqua Tail
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Knock Off / Stone Edge
ability: Swift Swim
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Rapid Spin is what makes Armaldo viable. Use it to support Armaldo's team with entry hazard removal. Aqua Tail is actually the strongest move Armaldo can use under rain, and it beats the frailer spinblockers Mismagius and Rotom. When out of rain, X-Scissor is Armaldo's most reliable move; however, Armaldo should generally be kept in the rain. X-Scissor easily deals with Grass-types that can be troublesome for rain teams. Knock Off is useful as always, removing items and dealing high damage with good coverage. Additionally, Knock Off can deal with Gourgeist, which is generally a problem for rain teams. However, Stone Edge is a useful secondary STAB move that can be used instead to hit Mantine, Pelipper, and Vileplume for greater damage, although it suffers from lower accuracy.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature allow Armaldo to outspeed the likes of Swellow, Adamant Choice Scarf Sawk, and Sneasel when under rain. 252 Attack EVs and a Life Orb are used to maximize damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Although Armaldo is a spinner, avoid mindlessly spamming Rapid Spin. Rain is a limited resource, and a spin should only be executed if desperately needed. Threatening entry hazards such as Toxic Spikes should be spun away immediately, but consideration is important when deciding to spin away other hazards. For example, if a significant portion of your team is weak to Stealth Rock, it would be important to spin away Stealth Rock. Similarly, deciding whether to spin away Spikes would depend on how many layers of Spikes there are. Otherwise, Armaldo should make use of rain turns to deal as much damage as possible with its high Speed and good coverage. Specifically, Armaldo can spin and tank against Kangaskhan and Kecleon, which are both bothersome threats for fellow rain sweepers. Finally, Armaldo's strong Bug-type STAB move in X-Scissor easily deals with Grass-types that are also troublesome for rain teams.

Team Options
========

Being only viable in rain teams, Armaldo needs team members that make a rain team. Rain Dance users such as Uxie and other Swift Swim sweepers such as Seismitoad and Ludicolo are some examples. Additionally, Ludicolo and Seismitoad as well as Poliwrath all cover Armaldo's weaknesses well and can fit onto rain teams. Finally, Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock such as Sneasel and Pokemon holding a Focus Sash such as Jynx appreciate Armaldo's ability to spin.

Other Options
########

Although Armaldo has a surprisingly wide and appealing movepool that can fill many roles, Armaldo is outclassed in all of these roles, mainly due to its horrid typing. A more tanking-oriented spinning set can be used, but Armaldo's weakness to Stealth Rock and mostly useless resistances make it pitiful, and both Sandslash and Claydol outclass Armaldo in this role. A Rock Polish set can be used, but Armaldo's typing leaves it few chances to set up, and Crustle outclasses Armaldo in this role. Stealth Rock is an interesting option for Armaldo, but Armaldo should be firing off powerful moves instead of setting up Stealth Rock, and Armaldo finds few free turns to use Stealth Rock. Choice Band is another option that Armaldo can make use of with its high power, but Armaldo's typing and weakness to Stealth Rock let it down once again. Finally, a Swords Dance set combined with Swift Swim can be used quite decently. However, Armaldo has issues finding turns to set up, and Beartic can perform this role somewhat better.

Checks & Counters
########

**Entry Hazards**: Being weak to the entry hazards it's supposed to clear, Armaldo's defensive capabilities are severely hampered by losing 25% of its health when switching in on Stealth Rock.

**Super Effective Attacks**: While Armaldo's physical bulk is decent, Armaldo is unable to make full use of it due to its exploitable weaknesses. Common physical threats such as Archeops can hit Armaldo with STAB super effective attacks, easily KOing Armaldo.

**Special Attacks**: With mostly useless resistances and mediocre Special Defense, Armaldo is easily KOed by special attacks, including Fire-type attacks out of rain and Psychic-type attacks.

**Faster Pokemon**: When not under rain, Armaldo is quite slow, resulting in many Pokemon such as Archeops and Samurott outspeeding and KOing it before it can do anything.

**Fighting-types**: Resisting both of Armaldo's STAB types as well as Knock Off, Fighting-types such as Hariyama only fear Aqua Tail, which becomes quite weak when not under rain.

Last edited:
Is Choice Band viable on Armaldo? I'm not sure whether to include a Choice Band set, although I'm leaning towards probably not.

Edit: Also, should I even mention X-Scissor on any of the sets? Knock Off seems to be the better choice in most cases.

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
IMO, Armaldo should really be taking advantage of its high initial power and ability to hurt Ghost-types, so an Offensive Spin set should either be the only set, or the first set. The set should be Lum Berry Adamant Nature with SD / Rapid Spin / Knock Off / and Rock Blast|X-Scissor with max Atk and max Speed (outspeeds min speed Seismitoad, though if QC wants more bulk EVs then listen to them). This set breaks through all the common spinblockers pretty well with Knock Off, and Lum stops Will-O-Wisp from crippling Armaldo completely.

I'm definitely gonna agree and I will put Offensive Rapid Spin as the first set. I'm gonna want QC opinion first though before I completely remove the bulky rapid spin set, as I'm unsure if it's viable or not.

Edit: The Offensive Rapid Spin set and Swift Swim Sweeper set are very similar. Should I remove the Swift Swim Sweeper set or keep both?

Last edited:
The best armaldo I've seen in XY was a LO attacker using Knock Off / Rapid Spin / Rock Blast / filler. Definite no to a bulky rapid spin set, I'd rather use Sandslash and even then Sandslash isnt very good at that. Swift Swim sweeper seems to niche for a set, cause even when making a rain team, i usually dont want armaldo.

So make the only set Offensive Rapid Spin, and use LO > Lum Berry. Armaldo's niche is that it hits surprisingly hard

Thanks! That clears things up. I signed up for Armaldo as my first contribution to Smogon cause I wanted to do only one set, but then I found myself doing 3, haha. Now we're back to one, so it's all good.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
"Rock Blast is a decent STAB move for Armaldo"
explain why it's used over stone edge - used to break past stuff like crustle with sturdy; and general Subtitute users like SubBU Braviary

looks great otherwise
[QC 1/3]

I removed mentions of Spiritomb, and also moved Lum Berry to OO because Lum Berry was pretty much only for Spiritomb. I feel like Armaldo's viability has definitely increased now that Spiritomb is in RU.

remove assault vest from OO. I cant see when I would ever want to use it on Armaldo. It might take grass attacks a bit better, but now its weak and has no way to set up.
I'd also remove the Swift Swim sweeper from OO, that is almost 100% outclassed by Kabutops now.
Finally, mention that 99% of the time, Kabutops is a better choice than Armaldo. Because Kabutops has actual resistances it can take advantage of. And that Armaldo should only be used on teams that really need a better check to Normal-types while still having Rapid Spin.

In usage tips, mention that Armaldo can get its best chance to spin vs Normal-types. Most of them dont really have a way to hurt it (Kangaskhan, subSD Bouff, non Rock Slide Tauros).

To checks and counters, mention that Armaldos SpDef is pretty low, so hitting it with neutral or super effective special attacks can easily 2HKO or OHKO it, respectively.

I've put in all the changes. And I've clearly been playing too much PU and not enough NU cause I completely forgot about Kabutops... Sorry for making you do extra work there.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WhinoTheRhino, in the Overview, cut the part about Spiritomb being gone and just say that it donks Ghost-types. Cut these points too:
  • Hits surprisingly hard, with a base 125 Attack stat
  • Decent physical bulk, with base 75 HP and base 100 Defense
The reader gets this information from the top of the page anyways, so you don't need to reiterate them.

When you mention that it's a cool Normal check in the Overview, specifically add that it's a good Kangaskhan check.

The set should probably be changed to reflect Armaldo's offensive inferiority to Kabutops. Specifically what I mean by this is that a fully offensive set seems pretty mediocre to me, and we'd be better off with a bulkier set that can actually check Normal-types. I think we'd be better off with a set more like:

Rapid Spin
########
name: Rapid Spin
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Rock Blast
move 4: X-Scissor / Stealth Rock
ability: Battle Armor
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
nature: Adamant

Honestly, I'd run a lot more Speed on this, but I can't find anything to EV it to outspeed without running a ton for Jolly Carracosta or Speed creeping, which is discouraged in analyses. Still, even though this set isn't great, it's a unique niche for Armaldo. SD seems really bad to me right now though.

QC thoughts on this? Raseri, Zebraiken, Soulgazer, everyone else

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Honestly, I'd run a lot more Speed on this, but I can't find anything to EV it to outspeed without running a ton for Jolly Carracosta or Speed creeping, which is discouraged in analyses. Still, even though this set isn't great, it's a unique niche for Armaldo. SD seems really bad to me right now though.

QC thoughts on this? Raseri, Zebraiken, Soulgazer, everyone else
The most prominent foe Armaldo would like to outspeed is SuperGeist, aka a spinblocker. Other than that, Armaldo is too slow to make good use of any speed investment, nor does it get (m)any improved matchups; we don't see speedy spinning Sandslashes (Sand Rush aside) for the same reasons.

Could I suggest the swords dance rapid spin set I used to use :/

There are a select few things armaldo has over kabutops and I would like to point out that even if it's slow it can hit so hard with base 125 bug stab and nonstab aqua jet hits way harder then people give it credit for.

Also would it be fair to say armaldo can fit on more teams due to the fact water typing is actually pretty common in the tier? Armaldo can be fit on a team with a water type and it can work to wreck shit like leafeon...

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Could I suggest the swords dance rapid spin set I used to use :/

There are a select few things armaldo has over kabutops and I would like to point out that even if it's slow it can hit so hard with base 125 bug stab and nonstab aqua jet hits way harder then people give it credit for.
Swords Dance + Rapid Spin sets mean that Armaldo has to forgo (unSTAB) priority or one of its STABs, which already puts it on the backfoot when compared to Kabutops which has STAB Aqua Jet to slightly mitigate the loss of Waterfall. That said, even Kabutops rarely attempts Rapid Spin on its Swords Dance sets since it wants priority and powerful dual STAB, so the only thing SD Armaldo has over Kabutops is its Bug STAB, which isn't really worth the lackluster typing.

Also WhinoTheRhino, when talking about Armaldo's potential offensive roles (Rock Polish and Swords Dance), mention that Shell Smash Crustle is a better option.

Also would it be fair to say armaldo can fit on more teams due to the fact water typing is actually pretty common in the tier? Armaldo can be fit on a team with a water type and it can work to wreck shit like leafeon...
I get what you're saying in regards to Kabutops clashing types, but won't the commonness of Water-types be a factor against Armaldo's viability as well? The biggest reason Armaldo has a harder time fitting on teams is due to its hazard weakness, the same reason Torkoal and Avalugg don't slot into teams easily either; those two even handle Grass-types better than Armaldo would due to resistance / recovery respectively, although Freeze Dry Cryogonal tends to be the much better choice for a spinner that deals with Grass-types as well as Water-types.

Yay I got some activity! Yeah if Armaldo's typing wasn't sooooo bad, things like Rock Polish and Swift Swim would actually be pretty useful :(.

Changes implemented.

Expanded Checks and Counters, removed some useless stuff and mentions of banned Pokes, and edited some other stuff. If anyone has any suggestions, please post.

Okay, I hate to say this, but I'm really questioning Armaldo's viability. Almost everyone in the A+ tier can at least 2HKO Armaldo, he's hella weak to all the many special attacks in the tier, and pretty much all the main physical attackers in NU have super effective attacks against him. In addition, Armaldo's main niche, spinning against Normal-types, is quickly diminishing as the only Normal-type that's still getting decent usage, Kangaskhan, is lowering in usage. All in all, Armaldo is mostly hella useless and outclassed mainly by Kabutops. :(

BUT, I've spent a whole lot of time on this analysis, so I really do want to finish it. But for the good of quality control, I thought I would raise the issue of Armaldo's viability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)