Vileplume [QC 3/3]

idk if its just me, but I really think the Specs set deserves a set of its own. I find it to be really good in this metagame, and Vileplume is really strong.

A set like:

Offensive
#############
Name: Offensive
Move 1: Giga Drain
Move 2: Sludge Bomb
Move 3: Hidden Power Fire
Move 4: Dazzling Gleam
Ability: Effect Spore
Item: Choice Specs / Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest

What are some other QC members opinions on this set? I have had a lot of success with it on offensive teams. It OHKOs a lot of shit and still retains some of Vileplumes bulk ( dont switch into Gatr anymore)
How is this not the main set? I have been using this since alpha, it's amazing to say the least. If it doesn't get a set, I would be so surprised...

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
iTeddeh, Life Orb Plume does most of what Specs Plume does anyway, while giving it the ability to keep its bulk with Synthesis and not be forced out nearly as frequently, or Sleep Powder stuff as I see slashed beside Synthesis (frankly I'm not sure if I want to see it slashed there). Exeggutor does a better job at at wielding Specs anyway, since it is stronger, slightly faster (relevant when outspeeding walls), its dual STABs aren't as resisted by much, has Psyshock for special walls and Poison-types, and more importantly has Leaf Storm, which fits the wallbreaker and hit-&-runner theme of a Specs wielder much more effectively. Vileplume's advantage over Exeggutor as an attacker would be its defensive typing, but you kind of throw that away if Plume cannot use Synthesis due to Specs. I'm sure Soulgazer and FLCL can attest to this.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

Made a mistake on the Offensive Set; HP Fire drops the Speed IV so Plume wants 144 Speed EVs to outrun Lanturn. Also 116 HP gives 320 HP, which is not a good LO number. Pls change to 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe.

Orphic, one final thing. I found that Hidden Power Ground has merit on LO Plume, since it is its only way of touching Dragalge and not give it a free switch-in every time, and also takes down Probopass much faster while still hitting most Steels. The obvious downside is not hitting Ferroseed, so teammates that can deal with Ferroseed (like Xatu) are highly recommended. HP Ground does not require a 30 Speed IV, so the EV spread should be re-adjusted and listed as an alternate spread in Set Details.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Orphic can you update your analyses soon please lol

Anyway I have a couple of things to bring up:

HP Fire might actually be worth the first slash on defensive because of Ferro and Pawn's popularity, QC thoughts?

You still need to change the offensive spread to add 4 extra Speed EVs because of HP Fire's Speed-lowering IVs

Also I have a couple qualms with certain sections. In the Overview I don't really like how Mismagius is the only Pokemon listed that can take advantage of Plume since it's really not ~that~ amazing of an answer (gets worn down by constant Giga Drains, doesn't even 2HKO with an unboosted Shadow Ball). I would note instead that it has a lot of weaknesses to common wallbreakers (Mesprit, Typhlosion, etc) as well as leaving it prone to being overwhelmed by stuff like Lilligant or Ice Punch Gatr.

TWave support is honestly far from necessary for defensive Plume lol, also Tomb is mentioned in TO for both sets so remove pls

Mention a bulkier spread with max HP for the offensive set in Set Details

For UT of offensive you should really focus more on what it can do rather than what it can't, I mean it's fine to mention it's less bulky than the defensive set but it would help to elaborate more on its strengths

Punchshroom

OrphicHP Fire might actually be worth the first slash on defensive because of Ferro and Pawn's popularity, QC thoughts?
Yeah those two seem far too common to ignore for HP Fire to not be slashed first, especially Ferroseed that can easily turn Plume into fodder. The supportive options should only be used if teammates can handle them.

So yeah Orphic, make Dat Blast's changes, as well as my HP Ground suggestion in Moves + Set Details (EV spread) for the offensive set.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this is a little late oops, but I don't think Sleep Powder should be slashed with Synthesis on the offensive set, simply because Synthesis is really good. I'd like to see it slashed behind HP Fire just as how it is in the defensive set, unless other QC members disagree

Punchshroom

I have to agree on the Sleep Powder part; it seems like a luxury to even have room for it on the set, given how vital its other moves are. It can still be mentioned in Moves imo, just not slashed in main set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)