Resource RU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
I honestly don't think Kricketune and Leavanny should be sitting on the same ranking, since the former is a better Sticky Web setter due to Taunt + Endeavor and the later's only niche if being able to OHKO Rhyperior and surprise some people with Magic Coat / Leaf Storm. I'd probably suggest bumping Kricketune up to C+ (or even B-), since it's pretty much the face of an entire playstyle right now (Maybe I'm exaggerating it tho, but it sets Sticky Web so it's not a lie).

And while we're at it, bump Sneasel up too, I'd say C+ too for now probably. Zoro gone means its niche as an offensive and fast Dark-type just got heavily buffed.

I would say keep them Leavanny can provide a great antilead with magic coat it also has better speed tier making it outspeed some leads while kricketune is really slow so you either use sticky web or endeavor and then die, leavanny can usually get web and a leaf storm before dying and it can also force omastar one of the best suicide leads in the tier out as it beats it 1 on 1, something kricket cannot do, they are fine in the same tier imo.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
I would say keep them Leavanny can provide a great antilead with magic coat it also has better speed tier making it outspeed some leads while kricketune is really slow so you either use sticky web or endeavor and then die, leavanny can usually get web and a leaf storm before dying and it can also force omastar one of the best suicide leads in the tier out as it beats it 1 on 1, something kricket cannot do, they are fine in the same tier imo.
The point is that Leavanny, while definitively having a niche (although I'm not too sold on it), instaloses against anything that uses Defog (Gligar, Golbat, even Skuntank), which isn't really the point of a Sticky Web lead. Also:

252 SpA Omastar Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kricketune: 205-243 (69.2 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kricketune also has a "good" lead match up against Omastar, since it can both prevent its hazards with Taunt and get Sticky Web up. From there you just need to pressure Omastar with your second Pokemon (and honestly, it's not really hard to have something on your team that can either force it out or kill it if it stays, even if you're not even thinking about that when building).

Kricketune carries taunt, which is much more important than it may seem. It lets it stop a lot of spike stackers, such as the omastar you mentioned, as well as accelgor at 1 spike (and shuts down accelgor further by taking away encore). It also outspeeds Druddigon and Rhyperior and can taunt before they set rocks.

edited for grammar!

Last edited:
Though wouldn't those pokemon just attack kricketune, since its defences are worse than leavanny it usually has to run focus sash whereas leavanny doesn't have to (I would still use it lol), plus kricketune can also get taunted by pokemon that are faster than him (there is quite a few) where leavanny can outspeed some, taunt and magic coat are both good (taunt is way better lol) but taunt on a pokemon that isn't fast is bad, whereas leavanny vs cobalion, leavanny can magic coat his stealth rocks and its good that his close combat is resisted by both but atleast leavanny can stop those rocks coming up so cobalion has to play mind games. If Kricketune was quicker taunt would be a much bigger merit but, drugg and rhyperior can beat kricket 1 on 1 so they can switch.

Also post the kricketune vs omastar
252 Atk Kricketune X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Omastar: 81-96 (28.8 - 34.1%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO

Omastar is winning 1 on 1, where that grass coverage leavanny posseses makes them similar (Omastar is the most used ho poke, with accelgor)

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
First of all: Kricketune doesn't even run X-Scissor, so it's was a waste of time to calculate that. The "standard" set is Sticky Web / Taunt / Endeavor / Knock Off. Second: Your definition of winning, while correct in most scenarios, is slightly flawed in this one. A victory for a Suicide lead is to set up whatever it needs to set up (Sticky Web in this scenario) in order to create a better win condition for your team. In all scenarios you mentioned a loss for Kricketune (like those where the slower Pokemon attacks you while you Taunt), it's actually a win (except for the Cobalion match up). Also, there are only 3 common Taunt users faster than Kricketune, which are Cobalion (already mentioned), Qwilfish (outclassed as a Suicide lead by Omastar, defensive sets get outsped) and Whimsicott (whose most common set is actually offensive with Memento, Moonblast and Giga Drain. This knowledge doesn't apply to the usual ladder player though, since most there do run Taunt). I'll quote my last post to finish the Kricketune part, since it's pretty much what I said right here.

Kricketune also has a "good" lead match up against Omastar, since it can both prevent its hazards with Taunt and get Sticky Web up. From there you just need to pressure Omastar with your second Pokemon (and honestly, it's not really hard to have something on your team that can either force it out or kill it if it stays, even if you're not even thinking about that when building).
And since I don't this post to be dedicated only to Kricketune, I'll support Hitmonlee to S Rank. It is an excellent partner for other top threats (Spins for Moltres and Delphox, weakens Doublade for Meloetta and so on). It fits on most offensive based teams, be it Hyper Offense with lead Omastar that doesn't want to run a Defog user under any circumstance, Sticky Web (it outruns and can KO Cobalion, Virizion, Durant, Meloetta / Delphox without Scarf and a lot of other threats) or simply balance. It is definitely a metagame defining threat and should be in S Rank.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll comment on Sneasel as I've been toying around with it a bit on the ladder:

Sneasel is definitely reaping the benefits from Zoroark's absence. Previously, people would eshew Sneasel in favor of Zoroark if they needed a fast, frail Dark-type capable of cleaning late-game. This was due to the fact Zoroark hit harder and had stronger priority than Sneasel. But with Zoroark gone, Sneasel can finally shine on HO teams. It's a really underrated late-game cleaner with great coverage and STAB priority to finish off weakened opponents that either have priority themselves (Hitmonlee, Shiftry, etc.) or are just faster than Sneasel and could KO it (Jolteon, Scarf Rotom-C, +1 Sharpedo) While Sneasel definitely struggles with its subpar bulk (understatement since even Sharpedo has better bulk than this thing) it has really great coverage, high Speed, and underrated power for a late-game cleaner. Definitelly worthy of C+ rank imo, maybe even B- before all is said and done. May make a nom of my own a bit later.

Besides whimsicott, I would say Sneasel is better than all C+ tbh, its only problem is it being frail, but its own priority helps him ohko them, he can survive a 252 moonblast from Cresselia, which is something and takes a chunk of her health, he is only threated by choice scarf meloetta that hasn't been locked into hyper voice and can OHKO her with Knock off and is able to threaten all the main defoggers (gligar,togetic,shiftry,golbat) out (skuntank can be with prior damage) so can stop them from doing their job unless they want to die. Ice is a real good offensive type aswell meaning most switch ins a still taking massive damage from a lo ice punch.

Besides whimsicott, I would say Sneasel is better than all C+ tbh, its only problem is it being frail, but its own priority helps him ohko them, he can survive a 252 moonblast from Cresselia, which is something and takes a chunk of her health, he is only threated by choice scarf meloetta that hasn't been locked into hyper voice and can OHKO her with Knock off and is able to threaten all the main defoggers (gligar,togetic,shiftry,golbat) out (skuntank can be with prior damage) so can stop them from doing their job unless they want to die. Ice is a real good offensive type aswell meaning most switch ins a still taking massive damage from a lo ice punch.
Naaaaaaaaaah, I think it is correct...
Whimsicott i think is better LO, and it is the only set aviable in RU... or you can use it to support a boost or a baton pass lol, using memento.
Nothing else

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, time for some updates (sorry if i'm late on this).

Anyways....

Hitmonlee up to S rank
Sneasel up to C+ rank
Vivillon down to B- rank
Pyroar added to C rank
Whimsicott moved up to B- rank
Togetic up to B rank

I'd like to see some more discussion on Durant, Rhyperior, Ambipom, Shiftry, Sharpedo and Kricketune/Leavanny before moving them (personally i'm a little shaky on S rank sharpedo, but i could be swayed, i could also see Durant in A rank in this new meta too, but once again i'm a bit unsure).

I decided to keep Kabutops where it is for the reasoning provided by Spirit.

I also have a nomination of my own to make that's been discussed on irc a little bit, and that's Spiritomb up to B+ rank.

I'm personally a big fan on Spiritomb, and given the changes in the metagame recently i think that a move up is definitely warranted. Like i've talked about before, Spiritomb has a very solid spot in the metagame because of how well it deals with some top threats. Looking at S rank alone, Spiritomb actually threatens the entirety of the rank. It hard counters Meloetta, checks Hitmonlee and Doublade, can be EVed to outspeed and burn Rhyperior, and forces Delphox into a 50/50 at best between Pursuit and Infiltrator Sucker Punch. From the A ranks, all of Slowking, Reuniclus, Cresselia, Dugtrio, (arguably) Mega Banette, and Jolteon absolutely hate being matched up against the thing, either due to their Pursuit weakness or general frailty. Outside of the S and A ranks, pretty much any frail Pokemon needs to fear Spiritomb. Infiltrator is a pretty nice bonus to have imo, and gives Spiritomb some great utility against Pokemon who rely on Substitute, completely ignoring the fact that its there and letting Spiritomb snipe things as it pleases, such as SubBU Bravairy (gets burned+Foul Played) SubCM Meloetta (lol Meloetta can't even play around Sucker Punch), SubCM Cresselia (burned through the Substitute), and SubCM Delphox. Lastly, even though Spiritomb's standard set relies on mono dark coverage (Sucker Punch, Foul Play, Pursuit), its still not exactly the easiest thing to switch in on, as Spiritomb's Will-O-Wisp deters most Dark- and Fighting-types that don't care about Spiritomb's STAB moves from switching in, and even Aromatisse doesn't exactly enjoy being burned considering it has to waste a burn using Aromatherapy to get rid of.

The combination of the above factors and the fact that Psychic-types as a whole are on the rise with no Yanmega or Zoroark to fear makes me think that Spiritomb solidly deserves B+ rank in the current meta, thoughts?

Last edited:
i-i thought we agreed that i was going to make this nom ;;;;

but yeah, i support spiritomb moving up to B+ rank. now that zoroark is gone, it has less much competition as an offensive dark-type, although not getting knock off sucks, and due to the fact that it can dispose of slowking fairly easily, it promote fire spam and thus makes good partners with Moltres and Delphox, who are already pretty prominent in the metagame. there's not really much else that i can say that molk hasn't said, but yeah this thing is really underrated.

I'd also like to nominate Slowking for A+. Now that two of its best offensive checks in Zoroark and Yanmega are gone, it really gets to shine. It's pretty much the definition of offensive glue, being able to fit on nearly every single team, from bulky offense, to balance, and it even fits well on stall when coupled with Weezing and Aromatisse, thanks to its good STAB combination, good bulk, and ability to phaze fairly reliably. But the main catch of this is that you are able to fit on all these prominent playstyles with one set. That sounds like an A+ mon to me. There's also the fact that counters for the aformentioned Delphox and Moltres are very hard to come by, and Slowking fits that bill perfectly.

also 500th post so i would like to dedicate it to everyone in #xyuu and #rarelyused, you're all fgts

Agreeing with Spiritomb up to B+. I have used Spiritomb a buttload and can safely say that it belongs in this rank just because it deals with so many top threats. Quite a few hard to wall Pokemon like Hitmonlee, Meloetta and Doublade. Infiltrator is just such a nice tool and is really cool cimbined with Will-O-Wisp. Spiritomb also has a number of different sets like Calm Mind, Pursuit trapper set and defensive with all of them having some different chechks and counters. For example Virizion who can deal with the Calm Mind set easily despises a burn from Will-O-wisp unless it carries Lum Berry. Spiritomb is just all around a solid mon that isn't difficult to fit onto teams and can deal with a wide number of threats which is why I think it deserves to be bumped up.

Also agreeing with Slowking up to A+. Slowking is very easy to fit onto just about any team since it needs like no support to function well. It is one of the few Pokemon that can wall both Moltres and Delphox which is pretty freaking huge and any team can appreciate a switch in to those. It has a multitude of different sets and all of them are quite effective at what they do. Slowking is just really good and easy to use so I can see it moving up.

Durant should also move up in my opinion. Durant is a very solid late game cleaner and does really well at breaking defensive cores while his speed still let's him do well versus offensive since it barely outspeeds the likes of Cobalion and Virizion with it's trolly speed tier. Durant can set up on a multitude off walls like Aromatisse, non Hidden Power Fire Amoongus, Alomomomomomola if it carries Lum Berry, Golbat and more. Also with all of it's possible coverage moves there are no real safe switch ins to this thing. Doublade fears Crunch, Registeel has to be wary of Superpower, Moltres gets rekt by Rock Slide, the rare Poliwrath can have problems with the rare Thunder Fang etc. Surely it is almost impossible to run these moves on one set but that is just one flaw on an otherwise great mon. Definetly supporting Durant to A.

Can't really say much about the other's since I haven't used most of them and Rhyperior and Shiftry I haven't used since like Shuckle got bannedStarting to use Shiftry now again though and so far it's doing well.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kricketune to B-

Between the 4 Pokemon that are able to learn Sticky Web in RU, Kricketune is the best user of it. It's got access to Taunt to prevent Defog attempts from all Defoggers except Shiftry which is the only Defogger that can outspeed it, while also preventing things like Omastar from setting up hazards turn 1. Endeavor can help potentially cripple a Pokemon by bringing down their HP to 1 if Focus Sash kicked in, or a considerably low amount. It also learns Knock Off meaning it can cripple any Pokemon that's holding an item, especially the Eviolite Defoggers who don't like it knocked off. Sticky Web isn't the strongest play style anymore, but it's still good, and Kricketune is the best user of it. Furthermore, Kricketune is definitely better than Leavanny which is in the same rank right now (C), and I believe Kricketune is a bigger supportive threat than all of the mons in C+, so therefore I'm nominating it for B-.

I agree on removing Leavanny (or at least make it D idk) as it is really really outclassed by Kricketune (who should prolly be C+)and Magic Coat isn't really "reliable" as spirit said.
Primeape should be removed as its only niche is as a fighting type with U-Turn (and defiant I guess) but Psychic types are already 2HKOd by Knock Off from any other Fighter.
Jynx might also deserve a small bump but I haven't tested it in the new meta yet so I'm not really sure.
Also B rank is inflated as hell and shit like Roselia and Shiftry probably deserve to be higher and Sceptile lower

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Durant: Base 109 speed with amazing defense and attack stat (that also gets a Hustle boost) and Bug/ Steel typing makes Durant a perfect physical sweeper and after a Hone Claws boost the accuracy problem that Hustle brings doesn't become much of an issue. It also has a really nice move pool consisting of gems such as Superpower, Crunch, Iron Head, Rock Slide and even Batton Pass. I think Durant easily deserves A rank,

Rhyperior: Being one of the sturdiest pokes in the whole RU tier, Rhyperior is the definition of a tank; low speed, lot of attack, defense and hp and a nice movepool. But he isn't just a tank, he can act as a powerful wallbreaker if he uses the CB set that EonX posted a while back thanks to an amazing STAB coverage and an obscene attack level so I think Rhyperior should stay in the S rank.

Ambipom: I'll go strait to the point here: move this thing to D rank not because he fits there but because his usage is extremely high and I think that if we put it there newer players might stop using that trash.

Shiftry: Strong priority, STAB Knock off, mixed offenses and defog makes Shiftry a dangerous poke in the hands of a good player, even with horrible defenses and a mediocre defensive typing I think he deserves B+ rank.

Sharpedo: I really don't understand why he still isn't S rank;
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths.
Sharpedo can easily clean and revenge kill significant proportions of the meta with zee support (or little if you have hazards) and it has one of the biggest offensive movepools of the RU meta (even Zen Headbutt are you kidding me!) and finally it can go special, mixed and physical without altering his playstyle much and while it has horrible defenses, he will rarely take a hit thanks to speed boost and resist most priority attacks so imo S rank.

Kricketune/Leavanny: The amount of shit posts of these two is extremely high; Kricketune is better than Leavanny 99% of the time thanks to Knock off, Taunt and Endeavor things that Leavanny don't have. But that doesn't mean that Leavanny is useless; he has a nice speed stat and batton pass SD an attribute that is overlooked most of the times but if played well can cause some serious damage if you batton pass into something like Sharpedo or Virizion. IMO Kricketune C+ and Leavanny stays in C

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I think moving Ambipom down any further is useless tbh, pretty much all Ambipom users don't really visit Smogon and if they do, they're probably still favoritists who keep using it no matter where we put it because they like using it and because the lower ladder, where most Ambipom users reside, is really fucking weak to it, so they will only have positive experiences using it. Moving it down is useless, in terms of viability it's fine where it is and we as Smogon don't have as much as an impact on the usage of certain mons as we'd like to have (see: Hitmonchan and Claydol only rising in usage despite the fact they're E-rank)

Kricketune/Leavanny: The amount of shit posts of these two is extremely high; Kricketune is better than Leavanny 99% of the time thanks to Knock off, Taunt and Endeavor things that Leavanny don't have. But that doesn't mean that Leavanny is useless; he has a nice speed stat and batton pass SD an attribute that is overlooked most of the times but if played well can cause some serious damage if you batton pass into something like Sharpedo or Virizion. IMO Kricketune C+ and Leavanny stays in C
I dont get why Leavanny should be C because of its baton pass capabilities. Leavanny CANT get both Web and a SD up unless your opponent is very retarded. If you are using it only for SD pass just use Combusken or Gligar who have like 27472 advantages over it and if you are using it for webs just use Kricketune. D/Unranked.

I dont get why Leavanny should be C because of its baton pass capabilities. Leavanny CANT get both Web and a SD up unless your opponent is very retarded. If you are using it only for SD pass just use Combusken or Gligar who have like 27472 advantages over it and if you are using it for webs just use Kricketune. D/Unranked.
Yeah but she can get a web and a reflect/light screen up helping her team as a suicide lead, I used it on eonx and it forced his moltres out giving my togetic a free nasty plot and a pass to clawziter who proceeded to OHKO Bronzong and Aromatisse, I was running light clay instead of focus sash because most times unlike kricket so can and those extra 3 turns of reflect/light screen + a sticky web help especially since the top threats in the tier can't do there job effectively and they usually have to stall (not effective on HO teams) or sack of 1 or 2 just to slowly break down a pokemon which without the support they should be beating.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Spiritomb: Spiritomb is definitely good rn. Having a free switch-in for both of Meloetta's STABs is really damn cool, and it's about the only answer to Specs Meloetta that isn't absolutely trashed by Meloetta-P (prevents Relic Song in the first place, so bop) It has to compete with Doublade quite a bit who has SD, much higher physical bulk, and more offensive presence, but I think Spiritomb's typing fits better right now and the ability to support teams with burns is never bad. I agree that it deserves B+ rank rn.

Durant: I'm really on the fence with Durant. Most people expect it to be better with Psychic-types on the rise, but I think it really creates 4MSS for the ant. It wants to be able to run Iron Head, Superpower, Crunch, HC to get the best coverage and keep Doubalde from outright walling it and countersweeping. However, the lack of X-Scissor means Durant cannot get past Cresselia before T-Wave as +1 Crunch fails to OHKO. +1 Crunch also fails to OHKO Reuniclus, and if it uses CM as Durant come sin, Focus Blast is an OHKO (+1 Shadow Ball tops out at 85.6%) Removing Iron Head means Durant is stopped by Aromatisse. Without Superpower, Durant can't beat Cobalion and Registeel. And without Crunch, Doublade walks all over Durant. I'm not entirely sure if this should keep Durant from A rank or not, but I did want to bring up this point for discussion.

Slowking: Assault Vest Slowking is like THE glue Pokemon in RU rn. You can basically slap it on any team that isn't using Clawitzer and it will probably work out well. It flat out walls Moltres and Delphox while the combination of Scald + Dragon Tail makes it very difficult to set up on Slowking. And this is only considering a single set Slowking can run. There's still Calm Mind Slowking, which is a great end-game sweeper for Stall teams, Choice Specs Slowking, which can be an underrated wallbreaker with its great coverage, and Trick Room Slowking, which can support dangerous threats like Druddigon, Escavalier, and Mega Abomasnow. It's definitely deserving of A+ rank imo as it has great versatility with regard to the sets it can run, and its AV set can fit on virtually any team.

Shiftry: Shiftry easily benefits from the departure of Zoroark as it now has a place as an offensive Dark-type rather than just an offensive Dark-type that can provide support. It now has the strongest Knock Off and Sucker Punch in the tier and a STAB Leaf Storm is making most physical walls cry. The thing with Leaf Storm (on the mixed set at least) is that it's very easy to throw out there with few drawbacks as Shiftry largely relies on physical attacks to deal damage, meaning the SpA drop isn't too detrimental. Defog is great as always as it allows Shiftry to support the likes of Moltres and Delphox among others. It also now has the option to run a full SD set with Zoroark out of the tier. Definitely deserving of B+ rank imo.

I won't really be commenting on the Sticky Web users considering I lack experience with either of them. I'd make my own nom, but I'll wait until after the next update.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
This may sound a bit crazy, but I am nominating Kricketune for B rank. I may even go so far to say that it should be in B+ rank, but I haven't seen anyone else use it, so I feel a bit hesitant to nominate it too high. The biggest reasoning for this: Sticky Web. Sticky Web is a very, VERY powerful tool in the RU metagame. With wallbreakers left and right, a team could very well consist of Kricketune, Braviary, Doublade, and 3 wallbreakers of choice. While Kricketune can't get up guaranteed Sticky Web like Shuckle could, it has access to Taunt and Endeavor, which is absolutely amazing. Taunt stops opposing setup while Endeavor discourages sweepers from easily coming in and 2HKOing it (of course assuming Focus Sash here).

"What about against stall though?" Well, the fact that you're running it with a team of wallbreakers sort of offsets this. Also, because of Taunt, Knock Off, and Endeavor, it isn't dead weight against stall either.

"What about against Trick Room teams?" Well, Taunt stops Trick Room from being set no matter what because it has negative priority, and because most of the Pokemon on said team will be slow, you can let Kricketune take a hit, then Endeavor back.

I have been using Kricketune a lot lately and it has really been pulling its weight. I honestly feel as though it is on par with other hazard setters like Accelgor and Omastar, but I'm keeping the nomination at B rank for now until more people realise how good it is.

I don't want to put anyone on the spot, but here's a replay of Kricketune giving the right support for the rest of the team: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-156284993

tl;dr Kricketune has just the right tools to support its team immensely and is a very viable option for HO teams.

I'd like to nominate Reuniclus for A+. as you all probably know after the zoro and yanmega bans psychic types got a p big buff and are now left with fewer checks in the tier which is most likely why meloetta went to S. now for reuniclus i think it deserves A+ because of its great bulk, good abilities and being strong as fuck in general. the calm mind set pretty much destroys all stall unless you're running a drapion or something of that sort. it has enough bulk to tank knock offs from mons such as hitmonlee, gurdurr etc. it's not affected by burns/toxic which are the bane of all set up sweepers same with hazards in general so it can freely come in and out on mons like slowking take a scald and just begin to start setting up. another thing is that a lot more people have begun using spiritomb to check/counter delphox and meloetta but the standard tomb set is set up fodder for reuni which can lead to a quick sweep. only thing i don't like about this set is that you're forced to run shadow ball over signal beam/focus blast for doublade causing you to lose to dark types.

The trick room set is able to destroy most offense if you are able to predict correctly with its great coverage.It is probably one of the best late game sweepers in the meta right now, there isn't much to say about this set, it just uses reuni's slow speed and strong sp. atk to make the most out of the mon

tl;dr reuniclus for a+ because it's most viable checks on offense have been banned, cm destroys stall, tr can do amazing vs offense if played correctly and its got great abilities and good bulk to make it excel as a cm sweeper

Last edited:

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
You're getting it wrong, when setting up SW Leavanny attacks Defog users like Gligar and Golbat and you can easily SD on the switch which puts your opponent in a sticky (no pun intended) situation; will they stay and Defog letting something come in for free at +2 or will they straight attack you letting your SW stay? I understand that Kriketune outclasses Leavanny most of the time but you can't seriously drop him with trash like Kilnklang or Regirock.

In a different note I want to nominate Hitmontop for C rank because his only "niche" is Foresight Rapid Spin which can be noticed at 100 miles and while Intimidate gives this thing some "bulk" it lacks reliable recovery and while it has some cool moves like Mach Punch and Fake Out Technitop is pretty much dead. Finally, with the rise of Psychic types Hitmontop rarely has a chance to shine in such a bulky meta.

I think Jynx should rise from D to B-. Although this may seem drastic, Jynx has a massive niche in this metagame. There are two sets I think are worth mentioning; primarily, Jynx's best set in my opinion, a lead focus sash set.

Jynx (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot

Unfortunately for almost every sleep-sweeper, generation 6 brought a nerf where sleep powder and spore can't induce sleep on grass-types and pokemon with overcoat. Fortunately, Jynx has Lovely Kiss, which is 75% accurate like sleep powder, but hits grass-types and Escavalier. This, combined with its focus sash and great base 95 speed, lets Jynx put 1 pokemon to sleep almost every game. After that, if your sash is still maintained, you can proceed to set up a nasty plot. Jynx's +2 ice beam OHKOs Moltres, Hitmonlee, Spdef Rhyperior, Sharpedo, Banette, Spdef Amoonguss, Offensive Drapion, Speedy Exploud, and Weezing. Since ice is such a great offensive typing, and Jynx has a nasty base 115 special attack, it finds many opportunities to dig massive holes into teams, or even sweep some bulkier teams. Shadow Ball seems curious on this set as opposed to psychic or Focus Blast, but if you look at some of the top used pokemon in the tier, Shadow Ball provides necessary coverage to leave Jynx unwalled by some of the top threats. Delphox, Slowking, Doublade, Bronzong, and Steel-types in general all resist psychic and ice type moves. Shadow Ball is super-effective on these pokemon, and can OHKO Doublade, Delphox, and physically defensive Bronzong at +2. Shadow Ball also provides Neutrality to Durant, who gets OHKOd at +2, and Escavalier, who is easier to passively damage.

Outside of this set, there isn't much else to run in RU. The prominence of Slowking and Delphox make sub nasty plot near-impossible to pull off. Life orb 3 attacks is the only other potential set to run in RU, providing extra power and coverage in the form of Psychic, but doesn't get the guaranteed sleep that this set gets, and its frailty makes it hard to switch in and out of the field often.

Overall, with Zoroark and Yanmega gone, Jynx can find a new niche as a free sleep-inducer against almost every team. Base 95 is even faster than threats like Meloetta and Moltres, and Jynx possesses massive power to match it. That, in conjunction with its fantastic offensive ice-typing and ability that makes it immune to water type attacks, make Jynx a big threat in RU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)