XY UU UU team Stuck at 1300 Lp

Hey guys, Master B8s here, While i play with all the tiers, UU was my first tier playing competitavly and this is my first RMT so i thought why not do a UU team. I've played with this team and peaked at 1350 ladder points, but thats as far as i can get to, i will take any criticism. I just gotta find what else this team needs to be perfect.

Frosslass(F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Ev: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-icy wind
-taunt
-destiny bond
-spikes

Frosslass serves as a suicide lead to help me get my spikes up. Focus sash serves to let it take a single hit as its going to start the battle off. Cursed body allows me disable the attacking pokemons moves. icy wind is so its not taunt bait, while weaker than ice beam, is used for the speed drop. I find it helps agains scarf leads practically negating the scarf boost and making Frosslass faster taunt is to stop other hazard leads as Frosslass naturally out speeds most of the others like Galvantula. Destiny bond is so Frosslass can potentially take down an opposing pokemon once my spikes are up. Not much to say for this one, very typical spread.

Infernape(M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
Ev: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Thunder Punch
-U-Turn

Infernape plays a number of roles on this team. It plays as physical wall breaker, revenge killer and scout. He works really well with Frosslass letting me scout what the opponent brings in after frosslass spike stacks. Flare Blitz and CC are strong stabs for him. Thunder punch is for water type coverage and packs a good punch with iron fist (get it? :D). U-Turn is for Scouting and maintaing offensive momentum. I find it great for hitting alakazam when infernape has a free switch in letting him break sashed alakazams. Im debating taking thunder punch off for mach punch to give my team some priority, but scarfed ape seems like enough speed for the team

Starmie (N/A) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Analytc
Ev: 252 SpA / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Scald
-Psyshock
-Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin

Starmie plays as the team rapid spinner. Analytc is for the power boost if the opponent decides to switch. The speed and Special Attack Spread is to give Starmie offensive presence. Scald is to fish for burns as well as stab on Starmie. Psyshock is so it can beat Blissey. I ran thunderbolt before for BoltBeam coverage, but found that beating Blissey was more useful. Ice beam is to handle dragons like Noivern and Haxorus. Goodra is just too strong for Starmie so i don't usually stay in with him. Rapid spin is for spinning away hazards obviously. I decided AV over LO because it lets Starmie take a few extra hits and starmie may need to come back in and spin away hazards multiple times, and the life orb doesn't give it that longevity.

Trevenant (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
Ev: 252 Hp / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Careful Nature
-Horn Leech
-Will-O-Wisp
-Leech Seed
-Rest

Trevenant is my status absorber and finishes my fire-water-grass core. I run harvest lum to constantly come back and absorb status that would otherwise hurt my other pokemon. I decided harvest lum over natural cure rest because i find its much more convenient and doesn't give my opponent the free turn when I'm forced to switch. The EV spread is for special bulk while WOW lets it take physical attacks. Horn Leech is for extra damage while not making trevenant taunt bait, and giving it more health back. WOW is to spread burn around on the opponents team and hurt physical sweepers. Leech seed is for more health and drain the opposing pokemons health. Rest finally is for a full heal when i have the lum without sleep turns. I find Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed work well together for wearing down pokemon with residual damage. Im debating replacing Horn Leech for Shadow Claw for better coverage and so i can beat other Trevenant.

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Ev: 252 Hp / 80 Def / 176 Spd
Careful Nature
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Slack Off
-Whirlwind

Hippowdon is my bulky stealth rock setter. the Ev spread seems a little weird. I tried to make him more of a mixed bulk instead of full physical bulk. Earthquake is a strong stab. Stealth rock is for... well yea stealth rock. Slack off is for reliable recovery along with lefties. Whirlwind is for phasing set up sweepers while spreading sentry hazard damage. This Ev spread was for hippowdon being able to survive and aegislash shadow ball, which i figured is the strongest thing he'd need to be able to survive but feel free to tweak the spread.

Ampharos (M) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static/Mold Breaker
Ev: 252 Spa / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Agility

This set emphasizes on mega Ampharos's bulk. With an agility boost and full speed investment, Ampharos hits a speed of 378 (one more than timid greninja, but he's not here). Thunderbolt and Dragon Pulse are Ampharos main stabs, while focus blast is a necessary move to beat steal types that would otherwise wall him. Note that he's suppose to be a late game sweeper and not just come in whenever to set up. I find using him along with infernape works well because infernape can come in and revenge kill whatever killed ampharos and kill anything that ampharos couldn't. it also works the other way around. Infernape can punch holes into my opponents team, then ampharos can come in and clean up.

Well theres my team, lemme know any suggestions that can help i won't cry about it :]

Changes made:
  • Dropped Trevenant for Sableye
  • Swapped Hippowdon for Braviary to punish defog
  • Switch AV off Starmie for LO
  • Dropped U-Turn on Infernape for Swords Dance and is now LO
New Sets
Sableye (F) Leftovers
Ev: 248 Hp / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
-Knock Off
-Will-O-Wisp
-Taunt
-Recover

Braviary (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ev: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Return
-Brave Bird
-SuperPower
-U-Turn

Starmie (N/A) @ Life Orb
Ev: Same
Timid Nature
-Scald
-Psyshock
-Recover
-Rapid Spin

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ev: Same
Jolly Nature
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-ThunderPunch
-Swords Dance

Last edited:
Hey dude, interesting team you have here. I think I have some suggestions that could improve your team so lets get into it. First thing I see is that you have Assault Vest on Starmie which to be honest isn't that great of an item on it due to you having no Hp investment and okay Special Defence. I think you should test out Life Orb and Recover Starmie over your current set as it gives you the survivability to let you come in and Rapid Spin that you said you wanted whilst also letting you hit extremely hard. As a general rule try to only use Assault Vest on Pokemon with Atk or Spa and good Hp and or Spd, Pokemon such as Goodra are good examples of this in UU.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock / Recover
- Ice Beam / Recover
- Rapid Spin

Your team also kinda revolves around attempting to keep hazards up and currently you have no way to stop common Defog users such as Mew and Crobat from undoing the work that Froslass does. To fix this I suggest you try out Sableye over Trevenant, Sableye would not only fulfil the same spin blocking role as Trevenant but can also stop Defog with Prankster Taunt. Sableye also has access to Will-O-Wisp to let it spread burns and has an extremely reliable healing move in Recover. Knock Off is also a great move to have on any team and Sableye would also provide this, letting you potentially Knock Off your opponents items which when coupled with hazards could aid in an Ampharos sweep late game.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

I hope I was able to help.

if you are to run trevenant over sablye, i would say resto chesto over lum because rest gets rid of the status ailments anyways. I mean for example you get burned on the turn you use rest. Your lum goes off and then you rest, but you didnt harvest so your still asleep. Chesto is much better

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Nice team you have here!

I'm gonna echo New Breed's suggestion of Sableye>Trevenant. Prankster Taunt is really good on this team, as Froslass is a suicide lead, meaning you lose your ability to lay down spikes once she goes down.

You could also run Volt Switch>Agility on Mega Ampharos. That gives you a nice VoltTurn core with Infernape.

I'd also agree with the LO Recover Starmie suggestion. You want that survivability on Starmie, and Analytic +LO hits ridiculously hard on the switch.

One actual suggestion is replacing Hippowdon with Nidoqueen. Nidoqueen, while less bulky than Hippowdon, can set up Stealth Rock very reliably. It can also phaze with Dragon Tail or Roar, and its Poison typing lets it absorb Toxic Spikes, letting Starmie come in and not get poisoned, seeing as how you don't have a cleric.
Of course, this makes you really weak to ground, so Swampert could also work. Of course, now you have a double grass weakness, so the third and final suggestion is Mew. Of course, Mew should only be used with the Sableye over Trevenant replacement.

I don't have enough time to provide the full spread, so I'll give you the moves for all 3.
Nidoqueen:
-Stealth Rock
-Earth Power
-Roar/Dragon Tail
-Ice Beam/Sludge Wave

Swampert:
-Stealth Rock
-Scald
-Roar
-Earthquake

Mew:
-Stealth Rock
-Will-O-Wisp
-Soft-Boiled/Roost/Recover (it doesn't matter, really, just preference)
-Knock Off

Actually, Mew functions essentially the same as Sableye. -3-
So you COULD run Crobat over sableye, as Crobat has fast Taunts and is more offensively-inclined. However, these are all just coming off the top of my head. None of these Hippo-replacement changes are necessary, but you could try them out.
other things include having 248 HP on Froslass, although it shouldn't matter seeing as how it's your lead and all.

Actually, on everything with 252 HP EVs, make them 248 and move the extra 4 to whatever stat you want. This gives you an odd HP stat, meaning you take 1% less from SR on the switchin. 0 Attack IVs on Starmie and Amphy, as you take minimized damage from Foul Play.

Also Aegis is banned in all tiers but ubers, you know that right?

Regardless, gl and nice team!

i might try crobat and yeah ik aegis banned, i just figured thats the strongest thing hippowdon would need to take on the special side so i just used aegi as a base line i can change his ev spread anytime

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
i might try crobat and yeah ik aegis banned, i just figured thats the strongest thing hippowdon would need to take on the special side so i just used aegi as a base line i can change his ev spread anytime
Crobat also gives you cross poison for florges, who you are a tad weak against.

Quick thing with Hippo you're going to want Sand Force as opposed to Sand Stream. Sand Stream isn't helping your team at all and actually hindering it by wiggling away your pokes. Mach Punch might also be better for Infernape as you have no priority otherwise.

Hopefully I helped some. :) Good Luck, Have Fun.

Why, are you running spikestack, with no sweeper or wallbreaker to benefit from it. Why do you have no way to punish spin.

Scrap the team and start over, any changes that would make this competitive involve swapping out 4+ mons at this point.

If you insist on keeping the team drop frostlass and swap nape to a non scarf set. probably NP

Why, are you running spikestack, with no sweeper or wallbreaker to benefit from it. Why do you have no way to punish spin.

Scrap the team and start over, any changes that would make this competitive involve swapping out 4+ mons at this point.

If you insist on keeping the team drop frostlass and swap nape to a non scarf set. probably NP
Infernape works as a wall breaker in UU, and you can spike stack without a sweeper. If you insist on me scrapping this team actually list some reasons for it.

Infernape works as a wall breaker in UU, and you can spike stack without a sweeper. If you insist on me scrapping this team actually list some reasons for it.

TO elaborate:

Frostlass: Standard lass, excellent lead for HO spikestack. Requires MASSIVE amounts of offensive pressure and sableye to function optimally in UU
Infernape: Scarf nape, shitty revenge killer but it can be a gluemon, however even with spike stack and volturn it has no chance in hell of breaking any dedicated core, ever. And with its weak 108 base atk and overprepared for fire and fighting stabs it gives up free turns.
Starmie: Av star, fails to threaten any dedicated core, gives up free turns.
Trevenant: Cant stop any of the good spinners in UU, gives up free turns to defoggers, breaks no cores. Walls nothing revelant I can think of.
Hippodon: Weird hippo, threatens nothing, gets spun and defogged on walls nothing with that spread
Mampharos: Agi Mamphy, hey look, its that thing that loses to the super common scarfers in the tier, gains almost no ohko's/2hit Ko's from 1:1 hazards, and loses to common tanks, much less special walls.

What you would need to do to make the team tick:

Without lass: Forget spikestack, scrap it, run a decent balanced or offense team from a decent RMT to learn the tier tweak it to your liking over time. Then start teambuilding once your used to the tier. Lose a lot because you think scarfnape breaks walls but eventually learn and have a good team to fall back on.

With lass: Scrap every single thing but lass, run dedicated spinblock and defog punish, run lots of taunt, turn up the offensive pressure to 11. Lose a lot because you think scarfape is a good wallbreaker. Eventually learn the tier after tweaking the team a bajillion times and get a solid team out of it.

Heres the changes to make spikes work if you insist.

Drop Trev for sableye
Drop Hippo for taunt rocks roost attack bulky Maero or a tank such as Swampert
Swap Nape to NP
Fast attacker with team synergy that is not grounded preferably with taunt or defiant
Dedicated sweeper and/or strong priority user with team synergy

Last edited:

TO elaborate:

Frostlass: Standard lass, excellent lead for HO spikestack. Requires MASSIVE amounts of offensive pressure and sableye to function optimally in UU
Infernape: Scarf nape, shitty revenge killer but it can be a gluemon, however even with spike stack and volturn it has no chance in hell of breaking any dedicated core, ever. And with its weak 108 base atk and overprepared for fire and fighting stabs it gives up free turns.
Trevenant: Cant stop any of the good spinners in UU, gives up free turns to defoggers, breaks no cores. Walls nothing revelant I can think of.
Hippodon: Weird hippo, threatens nothing, gets spun and defogged on walls nothing with that spread
Mampharos: Agi Mamphy, hey look, its that thing that loses to the super common scarfers in the tier, gains almost no ohko's/2hit Ko's from 1:1 hazards, and loses to common tanks, much less special walls.

Without lass: Forget spikestack, scrap it, run a decent balanced or offense team from a decent RMT to learn the tier tweak it to your liking over time. Then start teambuilding once your used to the tier. Lose a lot because you think scarfnape breaks walls but eventually learn and have a good team to fall back on.

With lass: Scrap every single thing but lass, run dedicated spinblock and defog punish, run lots of taunt, turn up the offensive pressure to 11. Lose a lot because you think scarfape is a good wallbreaker. Eventually learn the tier after tweaking the team a bajillion times and get a solid team out of it.

Drop Trev for sableye
Swap Nape to NP
Fast attacker with team synergy that is not grounded preferably with taunt or defiant
I already dropped Trev for Sableye, I changed Infernape to LO swords dance and dropped u turn on him, Starmie is LO Analytc and using crobat with taunt instead of Hippowdon

TO elaborate:

Drop Trev for sableye
Swap Nape to NP
I would hardly call scarf Nape a shitty revenge killer. With just a little prior damage (Which can easily be achieved through Stealth Rock support) It can pick of lots of other common scarfers like Chandy, Hydreigon, Heracross, Darmanitan, Mienshao, and Krookodile. Of course, to achieve some of these KO's I recommend running Stone Edge>Thunder Punch. It lets you revenge kill a wider range of threats, but of course then you would have to run Blaze over Iron Fist. Clacs:
252 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 255-300 (94 - 110.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Infernape Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chandelure: 204-240 (78.1 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 368-434 (112.8 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 404-476 (121.6 - 143.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 426-504 (141 - 166.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
You get the point. gl with the team! Oh, and you might want to edit the OP to reflect the changes you've made

I would hardly call scarf Nape a shitty revenge killer. With just a little prior damage (Which can easily be achieved through Stealth Rock support) It can pick of lots of other common scarfers like Chandy, Hydreigon, Heracross, Darmanitan, Mienshao, and Krookodile. Of course, to achieve some of these KO's I recommend running Stone Edge>Thunder Punch. It lets you revenge kill a wider range of threats, but of course then you would have to run Blaze over Iron Fist. Clacs:
252 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 255-300 (94 - 110.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Infernape Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chandelure: 204-240 (78.1 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 368-434 (112.8 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Infernape Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 404-476 (121.6 - 143.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 426-504 (141 - 166.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
You get the point. gl with the team! Oh, and you might want to edit the OP to reflect the changes you've made
Scarf Ape is an absolute ape. Personally i prefer EQ

@ changes: grats your now totally incapable of breaking blissbro

@: Omg nape good RK: a whopping 1 speed boosting sweeper exists within the tier its frail as all shit too and nape STILL fails to ohko it. Additionaly it deals next to no damage to anything with real bulk.

@: Omg nape good RK: a whopping 1 speed boosting sweeper exists within the tier its frail as all shit too and nape STILL fails to ohko it. Additionaly it deals next to no damage to anything with real bulk.
because a blissey can do SOOOOO much to an infernape in 2 turns? nope. 2HKO and your telling me an ampharos cant kill a slowbro? give me a break

because a blissey can do SOOOOO much to an infernape in 2 turns? nope. 2HKO and your telling me an ampharos cant kill a slowbro? give me a break
In all fairness, Blissey can Toxic Infernape in the turn it survives, and between hazards and status damage, Infernape's looking at a short-sweep.

Also, if Scarfnape is locked into anything besides Close Combat, Blissey can kill it by Recoil on Flare Blitz, or stall out its other moves.

252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 795-936 (111.3 - 131%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 294-348 (74.6 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Blissey is set up bait for Infernape and at +2 guaranteed 2HKO so no switch in for Slowbro

0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Infernape: 230-272 (78.4 - 92.8%) -- 100%chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Life Orb Recoil

You dropped this ^

Last I checked nape cant SD and T punch in the same turn

0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Infernape: 230-272 (78.4 - 92.8%) -- 100%chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Life Orb Recoil

You dropped this ^

Last I checked nape cant SD and T punch in the same turn
I can always run an experts belt, it's a bit less power but no life orb recoil damage

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Why not Tornadus over Braviary?

Tornadus:
79/115/70/125/80/111

Braviary:
100/123/75/57/75/80

Tornadus' speed is freaking amazing and can afford not to run a choice scarf. He also has largely the same movepool as Braviary (sans Brave Bird, but Tornadus should be running mixed anyways.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)