The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yo, that metal bending guard looks an awful lot like the Beifong sisters. BUT ANYWAY HOLY SHIT THAT FINALE. Probably the best one yet in terms of just straight up fun and violence and ass kicking and holy shit. P'Li's death was powerful and you can clearly see the emotion in Zaheer. Good to see the Metal Bending sisters kick some ass. But that guard though....
Glad to see the two other villains go out with a band against the two brothers. Ghazan is an awesome character and Ming-Hua is just as cynical as ever. It's pretty sad to see Korra in a wheelchair all depressed. Hopefully we'll get to see her kick more ass in Book 4 with her strength back. Hopefully more of Zuko and his daughter?

ALSO YEAH, Jinora looks like Aang wtf. I don't remember women having to shave their heads in AtLA, since Yangchen still had hair. Regardless, amazing episode and probably the best book by far, in my opinion.
Head shaving was probably necessary in order to tattoo her head... it could just be a temporary thing.

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
Yo, that metal bending guard looks an awful lot like the Beifong sisters(I could be wrong, but its just the hair style ya now). BUT ANYWAY HOLY SHIT THAT FINALE. Probably the best one yet in terms of just straight up fun and violence and ass kicking and holy shit. P'Li's death was powerful and you can clearly see the emotion in Zaheer. Good to see the Metal Bending sisters kick some ass. But that guard though....
Glad to see the two other villains go out with a band against the two brothers. Ghazan is an awesome character and Ming-Hua is just as cynical as ever. It's pretty sad to see Korra in a wheelchair all depressed. Hopefully we'll get to see her kick more ass in Book 4 with her strength back. Hopefully more of Zuko and his daughter?

ALSO YEAH, Jinora looks like Aang wtf. I don't remember women having to shave their heads in AtLA, since Yangchen still had hair. Regardless, amazing episode and probably the best book by far, in my opinion.

So I wouldn't worry about that being gone.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
YO ENOUGH WITH THE DAMN SPOILER TAGS, THERE'S A SPOILER WARNING IN THE THREAD TITLE.

Real talk tho, HYPE AS ALL LIVING FUCK. I still need time to process all this. Fcukin incredible mang.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, Korra has officially gone through the most shit out of any Avatar.

Losing her bending and trying to commit suicide, to losing the connection to all of her previous lives, now to being a cripple.

Do the writers just hate her? Aside from that I'm glad that Bolin lava bent instead of metal. I also completely forgot that Mako could lightning bend. P'Li's death was pretty well done. She has the same death as Shocky Shocky Boom Man in A:TLA but in a more gruesome fashion. Lava guy committing suicide instead of going back to his prison was beyond intense as well.

Good finale.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, season is over! Let's see my inner fanboy go off (in no particular order)...

• AMON!!!!! That scene with the the three previous villains was great.
  • Bolin Lavabends!
  • The battles between Tonraq and Korra vs. Zaheer and Lin and Su vs P'Li were amazing! Poor P'Li.
  • On the topic of P'Li...there is nothing wrong with the lady being taller than the guy!
  • Ming Hua and Ghaazan dead? Hmm...
  • Captain Kuvira: what's the deal with her, I wonder...(bonus: voiced by Zelda Williams!)
  • Nice teamwork, Airbenders!
  • Man, poor Korra...as Matthew mentioned, she's gone through the most shit out of two Avatars we know best (her and Aang)--maybe even all of them!
  • Asami: please never stop being awesome. Busting out that shock glove!
  • Mako, I am impressed...way to shock Ming Hua! I screamed you were an idiot for following her down the hole...look who's the idiot now.
  • I like Jinora better with hair. >.<
Bring on Book 4!

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I totally forgot Mako could Lightning bend and for him to pull it out in a surprise fashion vs Ming Hua was just perfect, good lord this finale was great. Rofl jedi I yelled at him too irl when he followed her down the hole

Fuck P'Li, glad Su was able to kill her, that was fantastically done too

Happy that the Air Benders were able to do something in the end, that was a nice touch

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
lin sacrificing herself to save suyin? nigga p'lise, suyin just got mad cred for probably one of the most brutal kills in the entire avatar series.

I really like the crippled korra at the end of the episode, I really hope that next season they play on her inability to fight in order to drive home the point that in a modern world, perhaps the avatar isn't needed as much anymore--especially with the emergence of the new airbenders as 'peacekeepers' of all nations. I love how Jinora looks just like Aang, and I also love how they didn't resort to some cheesy Kai / Jinora crap at the end too.

I also like how Zaheer didn't go all sasuke uchiha up in this shit with the revenge after my nigga p'lise straight up had her head blown to smithereens. What with all that Guru Lahima philosophy that he's been preaching, him being able to let go of his earthly connections (p'li) in order to fly instead of going ham on team avatar was pretty impressive.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just watched the two part finale.

The Bolin learning lavabending was cool and unexpected, since we were all waiting on edge to see him do some metalbending I don't think anyone saw that one coming.
No fucking joke my sister called it and I told her she was stupid for thinking that, now I have to eat my words :[

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Man, that was way more intense than I thought it would be. We got to see Tonraq and the sisters masterbend, Jinora's amazing (still haven't really seen her fight though), Bolin's lavabending moment, and but damn it was good to see the characters go all out.

On a heavier note, we've 4 main character deaths this season and two near ones, does anyone think that that might have had something to do with the show getting pulled from nick? (coincidentally before the first death)

Also I originally said that I wanted the air stealing thing to be a one trick pony but after seeing the way the fight was choreographed I'm pretty happy with it.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay yeah wow that was intense. I usually wait to watch because my site has it in good quality but a day after, but everyone was talking about it and I didn't want to be spoiled so I just went ahead and watched it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Mako was being an absolute idiot jumping into there. The lightning bending really surprised me so it was cool. Did he kill Ming Hua? I know in real life getting shocked for that long would probably kill a person, but in the Avatar world physics aren't quite the same with a lot of this stuff.

I guess it would make sense if she died, as P'Li died and Ghazan killed himself (hey, I finally know all their names!). I think him killing himself was kinda dumb because I still think he could've escaped. Aside from that though, I think each villain's defeat was perfect, instead of just generic "now we are finally stronger than you" they actually were each defeated by the logical counter to their special powers. I was actually thinking Ghazan would die by accidentally falling into his own lava, but I guess a guy being burned to death and melting would be way too disturbing, even for this show (although I guess they didn't have to show it and could just imply it like with P'Li).

I know killing people in cold blood is not really done in Avatar but I'm surprised Zaheer was just thrown back in prison instead of executed. He definitely needs to come back in season 4 (maybe he'll finally be redeemed?) even if they just visit him in prison like with Ozai in the comics. The first two villains were killed and all of Zaheer's team was killed, so for him to be still alive he should have a role in season 4. I hope for season 4 they ditch making a new villain that they have to fight and just make solving these social/political problems the source of conflict.

Lastly, did anyone else think it was kind of weird for Zaheer to get all mad at the end? The first time they failed he just kinda accepted it and decided to leave, and now while he's allegedly left all worldly attachments he can still get upset about something.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Bolin being a lavabender instead of a metalbender was cool. I thought he was going to eventually metalbend but betraying our expectations yet again was nice. I thought lavabending was one of those special powers like combustion, you can't really learn it, you have to be born with it. But I guess if that's the case, he was born with it but just never knew it o_o

Last edited:

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm sure korra's gonna regain the ability to walk because tenzin's speech at the end seemed to imply the air nation corps was just an interim and he mentioned that she needed time to recuperate and said she'd be "fine." I wish they had shown korra debending zaheer or somethin,

ACTUALLY new theory: they left zahighma alive so he can teach korra to reincarnate at will while retaining consciousness so she can get a new baby bending body to battle with

also ming-hua is definitively dead, ghazan melted/collapsed the whole area so even if she survived the lightning she got entombed

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Good finale. Enjoyable season. The action and the villains were good. Highlights of the season were the Bolin metalbending fakeout and Jinora's path to becoming a master.

But maaaaaaan what a season of fucking pandering. It's bad enough we recycled almost everything about the Earth Kingdom from Earth, but in this season finale we had a fight in a glowing crystal cave (Earth Finale) AND on top of cylindrical rocks (Fire finale). How do people not see this?

Aside from the highlights I mentioned character development was as poor in this season as it has ever been. Worse than Air. I'm not sure if Change was much better overall than Water to be honest. Will have to think on it.

Last edited:
I liked the fact that there were clear callbacks to the Earth and Fire finales from ATLA. Lots of people watch Korra for the nostalgia factor - that's one of the main reasons why the Avatar Wan arc was so well received, because it felt like old Avatar (and also got rid of the Lion-turtle deus ex machina during Sozin's Comet). It didn't feel like they were "reusing" it, it felt like they wanted to draw clear parallels to ATLA - like this:

(source)

I personally loved the development, and I think it's been the best out of all the seasons so far. Mako has spent most of the season caught up in his old relationship with Korra (with some theories being that that's why he hasn't bent lightning before the finale; because his chi was blocked). His hug with Korra a few episodes back marks him "getting over it". Meanwhile we have Bolin becoming more and more capable in many areas, shown by his ability to lavabend along with his flowering relationship with Opal, so he's not just the clumsy comic relief anymore. Korra hasn't necessarily changed as much as a person, but that's what this next season is about, showing how she deals with being physically disabled (at least for a while) but also mentally crippled from both the hallucinations and Zaheer telling her that the world doesn't need her anymore.

The finale was also wonderfully poetic, one of my favorite things being that all four main members of the Red Lotus squad were done in by their own element, and more so, Zaheer's three companions being killed by their own bending. You had Lin and Suyin fighting as a team, and Tonraq / Jinora both fighting to protect Korra. Jinora receiving her tattoos at the end was not only one final nostalgia trip, but also clear symbolism of Jinora continuing Aang's legacy.

And sure, a lot of this stuff might seem too blunt or like it was presented too obviously, but you have to remember that this is a show on a children's network, despite the themes this season and in both shows, really, being much more mature than that.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I liked the fact that there were clear callbacks to the Earth and Fire finales from ATLA. Lots of people watch Korra for the nostalgia factor - that's one of the main reasons why the Avatar Wan arc was so well received, because it felt like old Avatar
You say all that as if it wasn't a contemptible attitude. This isn't old avatar. It's a new show that had a new artistic direction. They only changed it because people bitched and whined about how things didn't live up to rose colored expectations of a show they watched when they were ten. But even beyond bluntness the state of the Earth Kingdom was just stupid. After a century (and a revolution), things somehow ended up the exact same way? So much for Change. Or Korra's unceremonious banishment from Republic City. You might as well have had the vines form a giant middle finger pointed at the place and it would be more subtle.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Man, that was way more intense than I thought it would be. We got to see Tonraq and the sisters masterbend, Jinora's amazing (still haven't really seen her fight though), Bolin's lavabending moment, and but damn it was good to see the characters go all out.

On a heavier note, we've 4 main character deaths this season and two near ones, does anyone think that that might have had something to do with the show getting pulled from nick? (coincidentally before the first death)

Also I originally said that I wanted the air stealing thing to be a one trick pony but after seeing the way the fight was choreographed I'm pretty happy with it.
Book 3 was finished before they knew the show was being removed from television. Book 4 was completed beforehand as well so there's no need to worry about that either. book 4 should come out this spring imo.

lin sacrificing herself to save suyin? nigga p'lise, suyin just got mad cred for probably one of the most brutal kills in the entire avatar series.

I really like the crippled korra at the end of the episode, I really hope that next season they play on her inability to fight in order to drive home the point that in a modern world, perhaps the avatar isn't needed as much anymore--especially with the emergence of the new airbenders as 'peacekeepers' of all nations. I love how Jinora looks just like Aang, and I also love how they didn't resort to some cheesy Kai / Jinora crap at the end too.

I also like how Zaheer didn't go all sasuke uchiha up in this shit with the revenge after my nigga p'lise straight up had her head blown to smithereens. What with all that Guru Lahima philosophy that he's been preaching, him being able to let go of his earthly connections (p'li) in order to fly instead of going ham on team avatar was pretty impressive.
I really didn't like how in ep 12 they talked about how he saved her from being a warlord's killing machine and he essentially used her for the same reason. When she died he kind of just accepted it and gained the ability to fly as a result. I guess it shows more of his character, but still :[.

additionally, Korra isn't going to be permanently crippled. I looked up mercury poison effects [lame i know], which is a metallic like poison, and some effects of it are insomnia and lack of coordination(which explain the bags under her eyes and wheelchair) and a lot more ofc . Also tenzin said WHILE she recuperates and Raiko said WHILE shes in the wheelchair.

Like I dont get how you can say this was worse than air verbatim. I enjoyed the first two books of Korra because I'm a fan of the universe, but the execution and the stories for the first two books were poor. Book 3 was refreshing; it was beautifully animated, had some nice backstory, amazing fights with a LOT at stake, and great parallels to TLA. There were so many feels in the finale, but the way they choreographed the fight to look like Sozen's Comet was superb.

There was actually a lot of character development in this book. Korra and Asami's relationship got stronger, Bolin is less comic relief, no need to explain Lin, Tenzin being a bad-ass. Yea Mako didn't really show much, but w/e. There was plenty of him in Book 1.

Last edited:
JUST REALIZED THERE WAS A LEGEND OF KORRA THREAD

anyways pretty good finale and everything but I would've liked if Korra got the spotlight more (I mean, the show is about her right) like she always gets her ass kicked against every "boss" without any outside help. All I want to see is Korra completely dominate one specific major villain. Also glad that Lin Beifong got more development this book. I was always interested in her backstory.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Like I dont get how you can say this was worse than air verbatim. I enjoyed the first two books of Korra because I'm a fan of the universe, but the execution and the stories for the first two books were poor. Book 3 was refreshing; it was beautifully animated, had some nice backstory, amazing fights with a LOT at stake, and great parallels to TLA. There were so many feels in the finale, but the way they choreographed the fight to look like Sozen's Comet was superb.
Oh I meant I wasn't sure if it was better or worse than Water. I've fixed that. It was nowhere near as good as Air, which was an amazing ride up until the lackluster final episode. Spirits was up there with Earth as far as seasons of Avatar go. I have talked at length in this thread about how the plot points of Spirits came together in a way as masterful as the showrunners have ever done anything. Here you pointedly admit that you just want to TLA reruns. The season pandered to you so you liked it. That's all there is to it.

The handling of Lin's backstory was poor. I kept thinking of more interesting places it could be taken, but then she just gets sick for a few days and comes out better? It only even remotely resembles a competent story if it's a reference to Zuko's life changing fever dreams; more and more pandering. I enjoyed Change probably more than half of you ever gave Spirits a chance, but it's some low ass art.

So, a thing I've wondered about...

It's stated in TLA and Korra that killing the avatar in the avatar state ends the avatar cycle.

But how could anyone possibly know that? It obviously hasn't been done before because there are still avatars. Where does that information come from?

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
You say all that as if it wasn't a contemptible attitude. This isn't old avatar. It's a new show that had a new artistic direction. They only changed it because people bitched and whined about how things didn't live up to rose colored expectations of a show they watched when they were ten. But even beyond bluntness the state of the Earth Kingdom was just stupid. After a century (and a revolution), things somehow ended up the exact same way? So much for Change. Or Korra's unceremonious banishment from Republic City. You might as well have had the vines form a giant middle finger pointed at the place and it would be more subtle.
Yes, because the spirits becoming one with republic city which is Korra's proxy for "state of the world" is totally a giant middle-finger because everyone hates spirits. Oh wait no, actually it was symbolically representing the change that the world went through after harmonic convergence. Then in the very first episode we have Tenzin come out and tell us that this season is going to be about change and how everyone deals with it. Dealing with the change of the nature of certain relationships (Lin and Su Yin, Korra and Mako, Tenzin and Bumi, Tenzin and Jinora). Dealing with the large scale changes of the fall of the Earth Kingdom Monarchy (yo ba sing se literally went into RIOTS, and are STILL struggling according to the finale). And most importantly, Korra changing and maturing and having to deal with her problems without the crutch of hundreds of superwise superhumans to call on. And this one I want to talk about because you complain of a lack of character development, but this season we see Korra constantly struggling with inadequacy as the avatar and how she often finds herself unable to give satisfactory answers to these big problems. This is present all season, but really explicit in the scene where she is utterly incapable of disagreeing with Zaheer's ideology in any real capacity and how she just wants to start fighting to make things simple again. And in case that her struggles weren't that clear through the season, we get the great sequence in the finale where she remembers all those who insisted on her not being needed anymore, being obsolete or unnecessary. We leave Korra effectively at rock bottom. She is CLEARLY shaken by all that went down, and probably isn't feeling too hot about it all. To say that everything basically got reset is just RIDICULOUS to me.

And as for this stuff about "Pandering" can we just be forthright and say that if they reuse any setting then they are clearly pandering? Obviously book 2 finale was just a rehash of the crystals in the Omashu episode in season 1 of AtLA. Like are you kidding me with this bullshit? Jebus nails it, there were conscious parallels being drawn but not because of nostalgia, but to show that this is a world far different with stakes far different than anything in AtLA. Like this is a sequel series, what were they supposed to do, ignore the old show? Those two gifs of them leaving the northern air temple is a perfect example of what they were doing. Or how similar Jinora looks to her grandpappy, showing that his legacy lives on. It's not rehashing the glory days to pander and cash in on free sequel money when they're literally just expanding on the world they're already in. To even suggest that this season was based mostly on pandering is just utterly baffling to me in how you could've missed the point so hard.

Spirits was up there with Earth as far as seasons of Avatar go.
It's also great that you complain about pandering back to the old series, cuz I'd figured you'd be really excited about that considering you have some of the biggest nostalgia goggles here about the old series. Water, Earth and Fire were great fun and were really entertaining, but they were no where even close to anywhere as good as Air, and Spirits was just fucking amazing despite starting off sluggishly. And with this season of Korra they finally hit the home run on being entertaining and fun while also still being richer and deeper than AtLA, making this imo by far the best season of them all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)