Resource LC Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I
I'm sorry but did you even read my post? I didn't ask for Gastly to raise up to A just because it's a Ghost-type, and with that logic why did I go with Gastly, why not Shuppet or Litwick? they're also Ghost-types but they aren't viable as much as Gastly is. Yes I do understand that Misdreavus is way better than Gastly and that's why I wanted it to raise up to A not S. I don't really want to repeat my previous post but this is the viability rankings which means that Pokémon are based through they're viability and Gastly became more viable after Misdreavus' ban, not that it's used now to replace but because it faced competition from it and that one of Gastly's biggest revenge killers was Misdreavus.
4/5ths of your post was comparing Gastly to Misdreavus lol.

After Misdreavus' ban the best Ghost in the meta (arguably) at the moment is Gastly, it's not as good as Missy: it's slower by one point and doesn't have access to Nasty Plot, doesn't have high defenses like Misdreavus so it can't play a support role and is easier to revenge, but it's still a nice replacement. With a higher SAtk and a Life Orb it hits really hard and with the Poison secondary typing is gets STAB Sludge Bomb that can deal with fairies, it has access to Dazzling Gleam, Sucker Punch, Energy Ball, Destiny Bond, Hypnosis and other stuff.
Regardless, Gastly's viability didn't really change with the Missy ban. Misdreavus wasn't an end-all for Gastly and didn't really impede Gastly's wallbreaking ability. Imo it probably should have been A worthy long ago lol

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Overshadowing is different from making something less viable. Overshadow can mean "to exceed in importance or significance" and when comparing Misdreavus to Gastly this is the obvious truth (Missy > Gastly.). As boo836 stated tho, Gastly is as viable as it was before (not saying that things didn't become more viable with Missy gone but this is not the thing with Gastly.). Long story short, most things that you guys are saying are soo great because of Misdreavus absence are as viable as they were in Missy meta, but they had hard competition with Missy for your teamslot.

i'd like to second the nomination Corporal Levi made on the last page of Abra moving up from A- to A. Both variants of Abra are pretty great atm, subLO has basically no switch-ins and forces so much out, pretty much the best wallbreaker out there. Sash is still a great safety net, and still relatively powerful. Having 19 speed and the ability to take advantage of Fighters and Foongus is honestly amazing in this metagame, while its flaws are still problematic, its worthy of A rank imo.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I move that we drop Fletchling down to A+. While it can shred easily, there is no competent player out there not carrying one of its many useful counters. I think that the metagame has adapted to its presence quite well, and although it is still a rampant threat, it doesn't fit in S the way Mienfoo and Pawniard do.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
The Avalanches said:
I move that we drop Fletchling down to A+. While it can shred easily, there is no competent player out there not carrying one of its many useful counters. I think that the metagame has adapted to its presence quite well, and although it is still a rampant threat, it doesn't fit in S the way Mienfoo and Pawniard do.
Ehhhhh I disagree. Mienfoo and Pawniard aren't threats to rip off a sweep the same way something like Tirtogua is; they're in S-tier because of their tremendous utility. This is the same with Fletch. It's primary use is to stop Bellsprout / Fighting types / others from ripping off sweeps, and in that role there is no better. The meta has adapted to prevent Fletchling from sweeping, yes; that's what the counters do. If a team doesn't pack a counter, they're getting swept. But even if they do, Fletching's mere presence is stopping Scraggy from wanting to set up, Bellsprout from sweeping, Mienfoo from dominating, etc, with little risk, exception efficiency, and the chance to sweep lategame if Chinchou / Pawniard / Tirtouga or another one from the short list of counters goes down.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ehhhhh I disagree. Mienfoo and Pawniard aren't threats to rip off a sweep the same way something like Tirtogua is; they're in S-tier because of their tremendous utility. This is the same with Fletch. It's primary use is to stop Bellsprout / Fighting types / others from ripping off sweeps, and in that role there is no better. The meta has adapted to prevent Fletchling from sweeping, yes; that's what the counters do. If a team doesn't pack a counter, they're getting swept. But even if they do, Fletching's mere presence is stopping Scraggy from wanting to set up, Bellsprout from sweeping, Mienfoo from dominating, etc, with little risk, exception efficiency, and the chance to sweep lategame if Chinchou / Pawniard / Tirtouga or another one from the short list of counters goes down.
>short list of counters
Fletchling's list of counters is anything that has a Rock, Electric (not Elekid) or Steel typing and most of its common counters are very viable Pokemon that would still function well in a Fletch-less meta. Yes, Fletchling can apply incredible offensive pressure with a 110 STAB priority attack, but if something like Aron switches in, Fletchling is forced to U-turn or just deal like 1-2 damage every turn. The only reason why Fletchling's offensive capablities are deemed S-rank worthy is because of its teammates, specifically Diglett which can switch into a Fletchling counter from the U-turn, trap it, and proceed to nail it with a SE Earthquake.

Also, saying that Mienfoo and Pawniard can't rip off a sweep is ridiculous and, in fact, rather ignorant. Pawniard's sweeping capabilities are amazing due to no Pokemon besides Sticky Hold users wanting to switch into a powerful Knock Off. Mienfoo is usually a slow, bulky pivot, but if it has a Life Orb and/or High Jump Kick, it's a huge threat late game. These Pokemon are S-rank because of their abilities to perform one role exceptionally well, and others still rather well, and not necessarily have to worry about something switching in and hard walling it. Pawniard has the Choice Scarf set, but also fairs well with an Eviolite Swords Dance set or even a Stealth Rock set. Mienfoo has the slow pivot set, but also fairs well with a fast LO set or even a Choice Scarf set to clean up late game or revenge kill. Yes both Pokemon have utility, but they have way more than just that. Fletchling has one set that really works for it, and it's a pretty predictable Pokemon.

(If you didn't catch it from my post, I'm siding with The Avalanches)

I would also like to agree with the nomination of Abra to A, and I actually feel it's an A+ rank Pokemon at the moment. SubLO is a fantastic set right now, as the only prominent 19 speed threats are Ponyta and Aipom and Sashbra is still as threatening as ever. As zeriloa said previously, it's the best wallbreaker in the current meta.

Finally, Nincada for D-rank. Give it some appreciation. It has solid defensive bulk, a very unique typing, and access to some cool moves like Giga Drain and Silver Wind. Fuck the haters.

Last edited:

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
(If you didn't catch it from my post, I'm siding with The Avalanches)
Picked up on that

Fletchling's list of counters is anything that has a Rock, Electric or Steel typing and most of its common counters are very viable Pokemon that would still function well in a Fletch-less meta.
I agree. However, but how many of those can you run together without getting redundant? Teams with two Fletch counters aren't particularly common (they obviously exist, but weaknesses tend to stack) and single counters (especially on offensive teams) tend to be worn down quickly enough.

Also, saying that Mienfoo and Pawniard can't rip off a sweep is ridiculous and, in fact, rather ignorant.
I'm talking about sweeping through 4-5 pokemon at once, not killing 2 weakened pokemon late game, if you want to run sweeper Mienfoo run Riolu and use priority HJK. Pawniard's Knock Off spam is more utility than anything else, but it's fantastic utility - that's why it's S - Tier. But it's rare for it to sweep.

Yes both Pokemon have utility, but they have way more than just that. Fletchling has one set that really works for it, and it's a pretty predictable Pokemon.
So Mienfoo and Pawniard are unpredictable? They all have pretty much one set (okay Choice Scarf and Eviolite Pawn are slighly different, yes i know, but they run the same moves) and do one thing - pivot, apply Knock Off pressure - supremely well. Same with Fletch

I agree. However, but how many of those can you run together without getting redundant? Teams with two Fletch counters aren't particularly common (they obviously exist, but weaknesses tend to stack) and single counters (especially on offensive teams) tend to be worn down quickly enough.
[Chinchou and archen don't stack weaknesses, or tirtouga>chinchou and archen, or mag and tirtouga (one has volt switch to negate fighting types switching /mienfoo hates taking flash cannons constantly], idk what you mean by weaknesses stacking]

I'm talking about sweeping through 4-5 pokemon at once, not killing 2 weakened pokemon late game, if you want to run sweeper Mienfoo run Riolu and use priority HJK. Pawniard's Knock Off spam is more utility than anything else, but it's fantastic utility - that's why it's S - Tier. But it's rare for it to sweep.
[have you even tried LO pawniard or scarf foo/normal hjk foo, weaken their checks a bit, then nuke everything.]

So Mienfoo and Pawniard are unpredictable? They all have pretty much one set (okay Choice Scarf and Eviolite Pawn are slighly different, yes i know, but they run the same moves) and do one thing - pivot, apply Knock Off pressure - supremely well. Same with Fletch
mienfoo's last moveslot can be really annoying to deal with sometimes, and pawniard can run stuff like psycho cut to deal more damage to fighting types/ trubbish
Edit: comments aside from last one in brackets in the quote.

Shrug

LCPL Champion
kingmidas said:
mienfoo's last moveslot can be really annoying to deal with sometimes, and pawniard can run stuff like psycho cut to deal more damage to fighting types/ trubbish
Not saying they're not hard to deal with, but you never see a mienfoo or Pawniard come in and think "hmmm i wonder what it's going to do". They pretty much always have the same role and are fantastic at doing it. Same with Fletch

Not saying they're not hard to deal with, but you never see a mienfoo or Pawniard come in and think "hmmm i wonder what it's going to do". They pretty much always have the same role and are fantastic at doing it. Same with Fletch
duh, thats the point of having a lure/surprise factor on a mon.

Shrug

LCPL Champion
duh, thats the point of having a lure/surprise factor on a mon.
So, like Overheat Fletch? Or Natural Gift? Anyway, the difference between S and A+ is so thin that it's tough to differentiate, but I tend to think of it like this: while A / A+ mons are fantastic, S mons are integral to the metagame. If Carnavah, a fearsome sweeper, was banned, the metagame wouldn't shift hugely. If Mienfoo or Pawniard was banned, the entire tier would change. Same with Fletch - it's one of the most important pieces in Little Cup of keeping things in check.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LC Leader
You'd actually be surprised at how unpredictable Mienfoo can actually be. Various EV spreads are perfectly viable as well as numerous 4th slot moves options. Hell you can even have fun running a Baton Pass Mienfoo to pass Sword Dances, Bulk Ups, and Calm Minds to your team.

Pawniard also has many viable options at its disposal, many of which aren't viable on both sets. Saying that the Scarf set and Eviolite set run the same moves is a gross generalization. T-wave on a Scarf Pawn? Don't think even I'd run that.

So, like Overheat Fletch? Or Natural Gift? Anyway, the difference between S and A+ is so thin that it's tough to differentiate, but I tend to think of it like this: while A / A+ mons are fantastic, S mons are integral to the metagame. If Carnavah, a fearsome sweeper, was banned, the metagame wouldn't shift hugely. If Mienfoo or Pawniard was banned, the entire tier would change. Same with Fletch - it's one of the most important pieces in Little Cup of keeping things in check.
Natural gift fletchling is a poor lure since it has 1 shot and doesn't OHKO some of its answers, and is useless vs some of its other answers depending on berry. Overheat fletchling is standard iirc. Rest of it yeah I agree.

Omanyte Rank B+ --> Rank A-
I think omanyte deserves a spot on Rank A- because it's one of the best shell smashers in LC. It has a glorious defense stat and special attack stat that it can abuse. If not, the best. It has a very good coverage moves such as ice beam and earth power. It also has great STABs such as surf and hydro pump that it can abuse at +2. Omanyte is a great shell smasher because of its ability to take a hit very well and set up and sweep, much like tirtouga, but on the special side. With an eviolite, Omanyte is almost guarenteed to set up and sweep since it can take an unboosted neutral effective move very well. With a shell smash up, omanyte will wreck your opponent's team, if played right and some team support. Not much can take omanyte's +2 surf/earth power/ice beam. If a poke doesn't get KO'd by it, they're still going to take a LOT of damage. Since misdreavus is banned, it has a nicer time to sweep since misdreavus guaranteed survived a +2 surf. I don't think I need to talk more about omanyte's power. It's pretty simple.

Even though omanyte is a great sweeper, it needs some of its team mates's support. A sashed pokemon such as diglett can ruin your sweep since it can just take a hit and OHKO back with earthquake since omanyte's defenses are lowered by -1. With this in mind, you need a good hazard setter such as dwebble or drilbur to deal some damage and put up hazards. Pawniard is also an excellent partner for omanyte since most likely you have your hazards up, the opponent wants to defog them away. Your opponent has to be afraid of pawniard getting a free +2 attack boost letting it sweep their team, which is amazing. Pawniard and omanyte aren't really perfect partners, but they cover eachother's weaknesses well. Not really much can stop omanyte's sweep cold. One of the things that could stop you is priority, which is used a lot in LC. Timburr, one of omanyte's worst enemies since it can mach punch it and has a chance to survive a surf after stealth rock damage. You definitely need an answer to fighting types, so you might need a fletchling to deal with it. It's also useful to deal with pesky grass types to.

Overall, omanyte is a great sweeper and deserves to rise up a rank with its insane power after a shell smash. Hopefully it moves up.

Last edited:

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
And this is not the only thing Omanyte can do! It can also be a quite effective setter of the deadly Toxic Spikes and even Stealth Rock. It also happens to learn Knock Off, so it can offer even more utility for a team. I agree that, if Omanyte does rise up, it should be because of SS but I just wanted to point out this set (which is full defensive, the bulk is crazy man.) as I've used it and it've worked. One of the main reasons on using Omanyte as well is that both sets are a complete stop to standard Fletch.
Clearly A- rank at least.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Pumpkaboo deserves to rise at least a whole rank. It's extremely bulky, and a terrific check to things like Drilbur, Staryu, Bunnelby, Zigzagoon, Chinchou, Slowpoke, Tirtouga and Omanyte, all while being able to cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. It has a decent Attack stat for hitting hard with Shadow Sneak and Bullet Seed. Its bulk means it can take on Abra without Shadow Ball 1v1. While I've used it as a Trick Room setter, its niche as a tank is becoming more prominent, as it faces less competition as a Ghost-type on a team with Missy gone.

Pumpkaboo for B-/C+

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think Pumpkaboo deserves to rise at least a whole rank. It's extremely bulky, and a terrific check to things like Drilbur, Staryu, Bunnelby, Zigzagoon, Chinchou, Slowpoke, Tirtouga and Omanyte, all while being able to cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp. It has a decent Attack stat for hitting hard with Shadow Sneak and Bullet Seed. Its bulk means it can take on Abra without Shadow Ball 1v1. While I've used it as a Trick Room setter, its niche as a tank is becoming more prominent, as it faces less competition as a Ghost-type on a team with Missy gone.

Pumpkaboo for B-/C+
+2 196+ SpA Omanyte Ice Beam vs. 236 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Pumpkaboo-Super: 22-26 (88 - 104%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
I don't see how it can check omanyte, so you might want to remove that

Bunnelby B+ rank --> A- rank WHY: Much like gastly, bunnelby was also a good poke in the misdreavus era, but the major thing that hindered is , of course , misdreavus itself. Misdreavus is gone now, and now bunnelby got a huge threat out of the way. Now, why i want bunnelby to move up a rank is this thing is a monster since it's blessed with Huge Power , an ability that doubles its attack stat. With a blistering attack stat of 28(adamant and any + attack nature) or 26(other nature that does not benefit or hinder attack), this thing kills almost everything in LC that it hits super effectively or for neutral damage. With its best set being choice scarf, this thing is like meditite 2.0. Return/Frustration, its two strongest STABs, hits hard as a truck. Earthquake is also a nice move to use for bunnelby since it covers steel types like pawniard and magnemite, two very big threats in this meta, and almost hits hard as Return/Frustation.Wild Charge is also a great move for it for pokes that resist its normal STAB and earthquake. You can use wild charge to OHKO archen,fletchling, and a chance to OHKO vullaby after stealth rock damage. Bunnelby also has been gifted with u-turn, which pretty much hits almost any poke with good damage and you can keep your offensive momentum going. I do admit though that bunnelby has some downsides to it. Return can't OHKO bulky mienfoo(one of the best leads), so you have to use u-turn to a poke that can take a knock off or drain punch. Bunnelby is also really frail so it pretty much gets 1-2HKO'd by almost everything in this meta.I do believe that its strong power makes up for these downsides. Bunnelby is a great pokemon that can make a lot of dents to a team. Hopefully it moves up.
I agree absolutily with Eren Yeagar. Scarf Bunneby was just a good pokemon in Misdreavus's era, now he is even more. His power is crushing and adding what you properly said, Quick Attack. That will do the trick a late sweeper. Some calcs:

228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Archen: 5-6 (21.7 - 26%) -- 73.8% chance to 4HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 76 HP / 212+ Def Chinchou: 7-10 (28 - 40%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Chinchou: 10-13 (41.6 - 54.1%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magnemite: 4-6 (21 - 31.5%) -- 85.9% chance to 4HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Drilbur: 7-10 (30.4 - 43.4%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 6-7 (24 - 28%) -- 22.8% chance to 4HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 236 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Porygon: 6-7 (23 - 26.9%) -- 2.2% chance to 4HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Porygon: 7-10 (30.4 - 43.4%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

I support that, definitively.

Last edited:

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree absolutily with Eren Yeagar. Scarf Bunneby was just a good pokemon in Misdreavus's era, now he is even more. His power is crushing and adding what you properly said, Quick Attack. That will do the trick a late sweeper. Some calcs:

228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Archen: 5-6 (21.7 - 26%) -- 73.8% chance to 4HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 76 HP / 212+ Def Chinchou: 7-10 (28 - 40%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Chinchou: 10-13 (41.6 - 54.1%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magnemite: 4-6 (21 - 31.5%) -- 85.9% chance to 4HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Drilbur: 7-10 (30.4 - 43.4%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 6-7 (24 - 28%) -- 22.8% chance to 4HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 236 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Porygon: 6-7 (23 - 26.9%) -- 2.2% chance to 4HKO
228 Atk Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Porygon: 7-10 (30.4 - 43.4%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

I support that, definitively.
I am also supporting this. Bunnelby is a monster and has no negatives on coming in and dominating once Steels / Archen are gone. albeit im unsure if Archen can take a Stone Edge or Wild Charge and smash back.

Nitpick on the Archen and Magnemite calcs, what are those proving exactly?

edit You're just displaying QA's power nevermind lol

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Frillish C Rank -------> B- Rank WHY:
Frillish is a very good mon in this meta being a good check for all the physical sweeper having access to WoW and a great bulk (55/50/85). It also has access to some good support moves like Trick Room, Taunt, Icy Wind (fuck speed ties), Confuse Ray and Magic Coat that can be very useful. It also has got a good recovery move that
236 Atk Mienfoo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
196 Atk Timburr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 10-14 (40 - 56%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
196+ Atk Fletchling Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 9-12 (36 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
236 Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 18-24 (72 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (scarf pawniard)
236 Atk Life Orb Doduo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 16-21 (64 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 SpA Life Orb Gastly Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Frillish: 18-26 (72 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Abra Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Frillish: 10-14 (40 - 56%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Abra Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Frillish: 13-18 (52 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Lickitung Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 10-12 (40 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
156 Atk Scraggy Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 14-20 (56 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Frillish can be used also for fast sweeper with a Choice Scarf set, having a huge movepool that can hit all the meta (Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Hydro Pump, Psychic, Dazzling Gleam, Water Spout, Sludge Bomb, HP Fire) but low SpA and Speed are a problem.
236 SpA Frillish Psychic vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Frillish Energy Ball vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Chinchou: 18-22 (72 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Frillish Psychic vs. 76 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Timburr: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
236 SpA Frillish Ice Beam vs. 156 HP / 52 SpD Fletchling: 20-24 (86.9 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Frillish Dazzling Gleam vs. 36 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Scraggy: 20-24 (90.9 - 109%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Frillish Hydro Pump vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Archen: 20-26 (80 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Frillish Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Gastly: 26-32 (136.8 - 168.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

In conclusion Frillish is a decent mon in this meta having different roles and a good movepool that make it check some big threats of the meta.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Frillish C Rank -------> B- Rank WHY:
Frillish is a very good mon in this meta being a good check for all the physical sweeper having access to WoW and a great bulk (55/50/85). It also has access to some good support moves like Trick Room, Taunt, Icy Wind (fuck speed ties), Confuse Ray and Magic Coat that can be very useful. It also has got a good recovery move that
236 Atk Mienfoo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
196 Atk Timburr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 10-14 (40 - 56%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
196+ Atk Fletchling Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 9-12 (36 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
236 Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 18-24 (72 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (scarf pawniard)
236 Atk Life Orb Doduo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 16-21 (64 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 SpA Life Orb Gastly Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Frillish: 18-26 (72 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Abra Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Frillish: 10-14 (40 - 56%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
236 SpA Life Orb Abra Shadow Ball vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Frillish: 13-18 (52 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Lickitung Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 10-12 (40 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
156 Atk Scraggy Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Frillish: 14-20 (56 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Frillish can be used also for fast sweeper with a Choice Scarf set, having a huge movepool that can hit all the meta (Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Hydro Pump, Psychic, Dazzling Gleam, Water Spout, Sludge Bomb, HP Fire) but low SpA and Speed are a problem.
236 SpA Frillish Psychic vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Frillish Energy Ball vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Chinchou: 18-22 (72 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 SpA Frillish Psychic vs. 76 HP / 156 SpD Eviolite Timburr: 12-16 (48 - 64%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
236 SpA Frillish Ice Beam vs. 156 HP / 52 SpD Fletchling: 20-24 (86.9 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Frillish Dazzling Gleam vs. 36 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Scraggy: 20-24 (90.9 - 109%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Frillish Hydro Pump vs. 236 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Archen: 20-26 (80 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Frillish Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 76 SpD Gastly: 26-32 (136.8 - 168.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

In conclusion Frillish is a decent mon in this meta having different roles and a good movepool that make it check some big threats of the meta.
It's really hard to agree with your proposal when all of your calcs indicate that Frillish can't really take the hits that well. Even with the most defensive investment possible, it still struggles vs. common physical attackers, as well as some special attackers. Also, the offensive calcs don't really mean too much considering they're all SE calcs, and even then aren't very impressive. It's perfectly fine in C for now, unless I see some sort of fantastic support/defensive set.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Even with Missy gone, I don't think Frillish is that great a defensive pokemon. Ghost just isn't the best defensive typing in this meta at all, and even the grass/ghosts like pumpkin and phantump make better spinblockers imo because they take on drilbur better. Frillish's best niche is scarf+water spout+trick and even that has to compete with many other scarfers for a teamslot.
Not sure about other ghosts either, but I haven't actually played new meta yet so I'll stay out of that one

Omanyte, Bunnelby, Zigzagoon to A- all seem like solid suggestions, and Abra to A seems good to me.

Again, haven't played new meta so idk about stunky, but just keep discussing and I'll make the changes in a few days or so

Zig/omanyte/ bunny probably shouldn't move up as their drawbacks significantly hurt their viability. Choice locking on normal moves, defense drops from shell smash, and belly drum/ being weak as piss all but these Pokemon.

Bunellby doesn't have to be choice locked into a Normal-type move...and when it does it usually means it's KO'd something Bunnelby can also run a Life Orb set which is a Great Wall breaker or sweeper in webs. Standard Mienfoo has a chance to be KO'd switching into Life Orb Bunnelbys Return. Misdreavus was Bunnelbys safest switch in and a lot of other 'safe switch ins' like Archen, Tirtouga and Gastly have to watch out for Wild Charge Sets. Even if Wild Charge is not used Quick Attack turns into a priority attack capable of picking of weakened threats easily because of the huge power boost.

Being locked into a Normal move can be shitty, but it often means that Bunnelby KO'd something the turn before because of its power and for a tier that lacks a lot of viable Ghosts, capitalising on Bunnelbys choice locked move can be more difficult than one might think

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Even with Missy gone, I don't think Frillish is that great a defensive pokemon. Ghost just isn't the best defensive typing in this meta at all, and even the grass/ghosts like pumpkin and phantump make better spinblockers imo because they take on drilbur better. Frillish's best niche is scarf+water spout+trick and even that has to compete with many other scarfers for a teamslot.
they really, REALLY aren't, because Knock Off is everywhere and it really wrecks defensive mons in the tier, especially ghosts and when coming from things like Black Glasses or Life Orb Pawniard. none of the ghosts are very great defensively, even subseed phantump/pumpkaboo or anything like that, though they could bear revenge burning mienfoo or snubbull and shit, but when does an opportunity like that come around without risking being knocked off or something else cancerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)