Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you said it's true, but when you are playing against Char-Y, Talonflame and the more uncommon Volcarona, you are assuming that they will have Defog / Rapid Spin support and so Stealth Rock will be mostly likely out of the game and that's why Stone Edge and Arcient Power are cool moves to have in order to hit these mons.
That's also assuming the same for Heatran as some of it's best partners, Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Skarmory, have Stealth Rocks and are very popular checks towards Bird Spam. A few of them get a special mention as Landorus-T and Ferrothorn can make short work out of Lati-Twins and Excadrill; Some of Bird Spam's best hazard control partners.

That really depends on the team where you are using Heatran of course. For example, in CBB and Unbirthday's team it was a cool move because otherwise Talonflame and Char-Y (mostly the latter) could've been very dangerous for their team, but if you feel like the team where you are using Heatran doesn't fear any of them you can always go for another move like Fire Blast / Flamethrower in order to have a more reliable Fire STAB to spam in lategame.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but has anyone though of turning Goodra in a type of Snorlax-esque phazer?

Goodra @ Leftovers
Careful/Sassy- Sap Sipper
252 HP/ 252 Defense
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Curse / Sludge Bomb / Toxic
-Dragon Tail

It's defense is pretty shit and doesn't have as much HP as Snorlax, but what do you guys think? Any potential with this set here?

Last edited:
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but has anyone though of turning Goodra in a type of Snorlax-esque phazer?

Goodra @ Leftovers
Careful - Sap Sipper
252 HP/ 252 Defense
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Curse
-Dragon Tail

It's defense is pretty shit and doesn't have as much HP as Snorlax, but what do you guys think? Any potential with this set here?
Snorlax does this better. Plus mono-dragon isn't as good this gen as it was last. (cough cough) fairies

and even to Granbull if you speaking about the UU tier. Anyway thats the OU tier and you have to worry about Mawile, Azumarill and Clefable mostly. Also you can't really beat steel-types before they beat you. TBH I don't think that your set is really good because it needs too much support in general, if Im using Goodra Ill probably go with an AV set which is bulkier, checks more things and it has much more offensive presence as well, in few words it's just much better.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Foul Play
- Slack Off
- Filler

One of the issues I've always found with Slowbro is that, although it makes for an excellent physical wall, it struggles to threaten attackers that aren't actually afraid of Scald and will take advantage of that in order to set up, such as CharX, Lum DNite, Sub / Lum Gyarados, and the like. Foul Play prevents these mons from setting up by tossing their own stat boosts into their faces, being able to prevent punish set up or flat out killing the offending party. Thanks to Bro's enormous bulk, it's able to take almost any one boosted hit and retaliate on it's opponent's frail, uninvested body. The synergy between Scald and Foul Play is nice as well, seeing as Foul Play doesn't consider opposing burns while calcing damage.

Probably best used on balance teams, Foul Play doesn't exactly OHKO everything it touches unless your opponent is boosting to stupid levels so being able to follow up the damage through priority or revenge killing is important. Stealth Rock support is great, since quite a few of Foul Play's notable targets are weak to rocks and it really helps out against Dragonite, who can actually take +2 Foul Plays with Multiscale up.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why use Foul Play when you can just Ice Beam Dragonite and Toxic Mega Charizard X? I guess this move can cover both threats and Gyarados in one moveslot, but i as you said it doesn't do that much damage to those Pokemon. I prefer reliably 2HKOing Dragonite through Multsicale with Ice Beam, and reliably crippling Char X for the rest of the game with Toxic. The good thing with Foul Play though is that you can somewhat check all the DD users while still having room for a Fire move to deal with Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor.

Why use Foul Play when you can just Ice Beam Dragonite and Toxic Mega Charizard X? I guess this move can cover both threats and Gyarados in one moveslot, but i as you said it doesn't do that much damage to those Pokemon. I prefer reliably 2HKOing Dragonite through Multsicale with Ice Beam, and reliably crippling Char X for the rest of the game with Toxic. The good thing with Foul Play though is that you can somewhat check all the DD users while still having room for a Fire move to deal with Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor.
Ice Beam's legit, but I really don't like relying on Toxic for Mega Zard X when Outrage OHKOs you at +2, it's way too passive to be handling something like that imo. And then there's Gyarados... Plus I'm wired offensively, I'm either running T-Wave to cripple stuff like Keldeo or Fire Blast to ruin Ferro in my last slot so I usually don't have the moveslot or the team support to wall something with Toxic.

Maybe not the best option, but it's definitely a viable one imo.

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Mirror Coat
- Recover

Great answer to Landorus-T which is the most common lead in OU. +2 Scald is very dangerous and mirror coat allows for kills against special attacks, most commonly volt switchers.

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Mirror Coat -> Toxic/Haze
- Recover

Great answer to Landorus-T which is the most common lead in OU. +2 Scald is very dangerous and mirror coat allows for kills against special attacks, most commonly volt switchers.
I'd say that Milotic isn't the best special tank in the game and it's ability to scare Lando-T and other possible switch ins makes it a pretty good status spreader IMO. I would say that Mirror Coat isn't going to be as effective as Toxic/Haze.

Edit: I doubt you want to stay in on Volt Switches seeing as you really lack special investments. Maybe Mirror Coat would be better on a Specially defensive set?

if you mirror coat when they volt switch then you get a kill, so yeah i would stay in. but yeah i haven't really ran a lot of calcs to see what the best spread is for it yet.

If you're planning on staying in to specifically tank special attacks, especially Super Effective ones, then going Calm with 252 SpD instead of Def is obviously the right call to make. The only calcs you would need to make is if you can get away with less SpD and can then put that into Def.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Focus Punch

Focus Punch lets you get past two of the most common switch-ins to Charizard-Y without having to take the risk of focus miss. 20 Atk secures the 2hko on Heatran after lefties.

20 Atk Mega Charizard Y Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 420-496 (103.9 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
20 Atk Mega Charizard Y Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 216-256 (56.1 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also focus punch kinda screws chansey
I guess it could finish one off around 70%

20 Atk Mega Charizard Y Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 302-356 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 202-238 (28.6 - 33.8%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO

I guess it could finish one off around 70%

20 Atk Mega Charizard Y Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 302-356 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 202-238 (28.6 - 33.8%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO
Who's running 252 hp on Chansey and when can I strangle them?

20 Atk Mega Charizard Y Focus Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 302-356 (47 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 160-190 (24.9 - 29.5%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Focus Punch

Focus Punch lets you get past two of the most common switch-ins to Charizard-Y without having to take the risk of focus miss. 20 Atk secures the 2hko on Heatran after lefties.

20 Atk Mega Charizard Y Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 420-496 (103.9 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
20 Atk Mega Charizard Y Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 216-256 (56.1 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 292-348 (72.4 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And when you mega evolve, the sun will replace the sand...so i don't see why you would bother with focus punch when you can't already beat the crap out of him. And i don't think ttar is played that much as a 252/252 wall, that was just to prove a point.

I'M A FAIRY:3 (Venomoth) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Baton Pass
- Sludge Bomb

Sweeper Moth, 252 HP for tanking SE hits after a Quiver Dance which lets you get off that Weakness Policy and hit even harder.. Sludge Bomb for STAB, Killing Fairies and that 30% poison rate, Bug Buzz for STAB and killing Subs.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-156306791

Last edited:
Who's running 252 hp on Chansey and when can I strangle them?

20 Atk Mega Charizard Y Focus Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 302-356 (47 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 160-190 (24.9 - 29.5%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
No good player would ever run 252 SpD on chansey with no HP. You need as much HP/Def you can get to take physical hits. The standard on the calc is not the best set.

Bold:252/0/252/0/4/0 38.105%
Bold:176/0/252/0/80/0 18.830%

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 292-348 (72.4 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And when you mega evolve, the sun will replace the sand...so i don't see why you would bother with focus punch when you can't already beat the crap out of him. And i don't think ttar is played that much as a 252/252 wall, that was just to prove a point.
The point is for Tyranitar on the switch. If we were both at the same time using Focus Punch would be very stupid

Focus Punch would be just nice for Chansey since Heatran and Tyranitar are already covered by Focus Blast but at that point I would just use Char-Y with Flare Blitz and Earthquake to hit hard Chansey, Heatran and as well Tyranitar for a good damage.

What about a Cinccino with a normal gem and tail slap(With Skill-link)? Or you can try a choice banded one, Cinccino can have Rockblast,Tail Slap, bullet seed, and gunk shot. It's simple, but it sure is great! If all else fails, try a shell smash Gorebyss with Shell smash,amnesia,barrier, and Baton pass into a Kangaskhan with (fakeout,suckerpunch,return, and fire punch). Just throwing ideas out, and don't forget the white herb on Gorebyss!
All these strategies work, in RU and NU though and not OU. In OU Cincinno is kind of weak and way too easily walled to really be used. Gorebyss is OU viable but that set really isn't. When your set is Baton Pass, SHell Smash, Amnesia and Barrier you have way to many set up moves and you can be easily stopped. Therefore it will probably be better to use the standard Gorebyss set with Shell Smash, Baton Pass, water STAB and either Ice Beam or Substitute. As for Kangaskhan again it is really too weak to compete is OU and it's speed is subpar for OU standards. Welcome to the smogon forums :)

Then on the switch solarbeam/focus blast is a clean 2HKO/OHKO under the sun, so you don't have to waste a move.
You can't solarbeam under the sand. The whole point is on the switch. And the whole point in focus punch is to avoid the accuracy risk in focus blast.

You can focus blast and if you mega evolve on the switch, the sun will replace the sand, you can solarbeam after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)