Marowak qc[0/3]

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

official marowak song

behold, the first pokemon that people can make funny boner jokes off of

i'm going to be very busy this week so dont expect this to be finished in half a day like stunfisk was

Overview
########

+ Incredible attack with Thick Club
+ Decent physical bulk
+ Usable as a rocks lead
- Need Thick club to be viable
- Bad speed
- is shut down by Knock Off

Physical Offensive
########
Name: Physical Offensive

Move 1: Earthquake/Bonemerang
Move 2: Double-Edge/Stone Edge
Move 3: Stealth Rock/Substitute
Move 4: Knock Off
ability:Rock Head/Battle Armor
item: Thick Club
evs: 252HP/252Atk/4Def
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • EQ is a reliable STAB move
  • Bonemerang is an alternative that hits twice and with 50 damage each hit but with 90 accuracy, breaks through Focus Sash, Sturdy, and Substitute
  • Stone Edge is used for coverage on Flying-types
  • Double-Edge as an alternative to be used with Rock Head that hits for neutral damage and has 100% accuracy
  • Stealth Rock allows Marowak to function well as a lead
  • Substitute to take advantage of switches and work with Marowak's bad bulk and low speed
  • Knock Off as a coverage option on levitating Ghost-types

Set Details
========

• Maximum HP lets Marowak take hits
  • Maximum Attack for best possible attacking power
  • Thick Club is the item that makes Marowak the good physical attacker that it is
  • Rock Head to prevent recoil damage from Double-Edge
  • Battle Armor is the only useful ability if Marowak is not carrying Double-Edge

Usage Tips
========

• Avoid Knock Off at all costs
  • Don't underestimate Marowak's attack stat after Thick Club boost
  • Never stay in on common Trick users like Rotom
  • Use Substitute when switches are forced against weaker, slower walls like Dragalge

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon like Granbull and Slurpuff can switch in on Knock Off
  • Trick Room setters like Carbinkm Gourgeist, and Grumpig fix Marowak's pathetic speed stat
  • Sticky Web setters like Leavanny and Ariados & paralysis support help Marowak to outspeed some threats
  • Scarf users like Magmortar can outspeed and defeat threats to Marowak like Sceptile

Other Options
########

• Do not run any item other than Thick Club
  • Fire Punch is an option for Ferroseed and Vileplume
  • Swords Dance is a boosting option but it generally not needed since Marowak already has high attack with Thick Club and is too slow to set up succesfully
  • Iron Head is a coverage option for Fairy-types

Checks & Counters
########

**Knock Off**: Knock Off removes Thick Club and thus halves Marowak's attack, rendering it useless.
**Special Sweepers**: Faster specially offensive sweepers like Sceptile and Ludicolo take advantage of Marowak's low Special Defense stat and can beat it with super-effective STAB attacks.
**Trick**: Trick users like Rotom rids Marowak of its Thick Club and instead gives it an unwanted Choice item.
**Physical Walls**: Physically defensive walls like Vileplume and Ferroseed can wall Marowak, but Substitute helps a bit to take down these walls.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Some small quips with the slashing on the first set, but Rock head should be slashed first as should Double-edge. Double Edge, Earthquake, and Knock Off provide good enough coverage and Stone Edge isnt as necessary imo (other QCs feel free to change back).
Bonemerang should be mentioned to break sturdy and sashes, along with potentially getting damage off on things behind a sub.
Expand your usage tips a bit, like how to bring it in on a slower wall or force the switch and sub, etc. etc.
Give a little bit more in team options, knock off absorbers are nice, but maybe mention what it likes to punch holes for.
Cannot run items other than Thick Club ------> Do not run any other item other than Thick Club
Swords Dance while not great definitely deserves a mention over Belly Drum in oo
Expand your C&C to include physical walls like vileplume and others. Also anything that outpaces it can really hurt Marowak as it doesnt have the best defenses (although sub helps to play around this)

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Montsegur--cut Stone Edge and mention it in Moves. Set should be more like:

Offensive
########
Name: Offensive
Move 1: Bonemerang
Move 2: Knock Off
Move 3: Double-Edge
Move 4: Stealth Rock / Substitute
ability: Rock Head
item: Thick Club
evs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
nature: Adamant

Marowak is not very bulky anyways, so outrunning stuff is better than having lots of bulk. The EVs outrun lots of important things! It outruns Adamant max Speed Rhydon and Jolly Carracosta. Bonemerang has roughly a 30% chance to KO Rhydon after Stealth Rock and a 100% chance to KO offensive Carracosta without hazards regardless of its ability. You also outrun other important stuff, including 0 Speed base 70s, Vileplume, and -Speed Seismitoad. I wouldn't even bother with Earthquake because killing Stealth Rock setters through Sturdy is huge, and Marowak has a good matchup vs. almost all of them barring Omastar (outspeeds even with Modest and kills 100% of the time with Scald), Torterra, and Seismitoad. You can also kill random Sash Garbodor and Qwilfish, preventing them from getting up more than one layer.

I wouldn't say that you should never stay in against Trick users. Mention that you should avoid them, but there might be times when killing off a Rotom is more useful than having Thick Club. Your Trick Room setters are also all kind of mediocre. If you're going to mention Trick Room support, which is fine, mention stuff like Musharna or Beheeyem, which are good at taking advantage of Trick Room themselves. Really, if you're running Trick Room, you should be using self-sufficient setters with some Pokemon that are good with or without it. Also, Scarf Magmortar? Go with Rotom-Spin or Typhlosion for that one.

Your examples for Fire Punch are odd because:
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 134-158 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- approx. 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 206-246 (58.1 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Also, Bonemerang does just as much vs. Vileplume as Fire Punch does. I don't think Fire Punch is even worth the mention tbh.

Iron Head also hardly outdamages Fairy-types over Bonemerang. I don't think any other coverage is even worth using because it almost never outdamages its other coverage. The only one really worth the mention is Stone Edge, which is already in moves. I'd just say in OO that its coverage options are pretty poor because Bonemerang usually hits for nearly as much.

Again, don't even bother mentioning Ferroseed or Vileplume as checks in C/C because they can't even switch in. If you're trying to wall Marowak, you're doing it wrong.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hollywood xzern dropped this, and for w/e reason didnt delete his thread. If you could do that would save some confusion. I picked up Marowak which can be found here

Edit: that's weird idk why my link didnt work (managed to fix it ;_; ) now I think all of my links I've posted like that haven't worked, I never actually checked them to see if they did :/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)