ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's moments like this that Game Freak regrets that the makers of the anime refused to let Ash's Pikachu evolve.
Nah. I think they really want it that way. Pikachu is the mascot and evolving him in the anime would take the spotlight away from him.
Even though I really wish he did evolve, that way I wouldn't cringe as much everytime I see pikachu destroying pokemon that should be smashing him

Nah. I think they really want it that way. Pikachu is the mascot and evolving him in the anime would take the spotlight away from him.
Even though I really wish he did evolve, that way I wouldn't cringe as much everytime I see pikachu destroying pokemon that should be smashing him
He became the mascot because of the anime.

I thought Pikachu came out on top in a Japanese popularity poll before or during the start of the anime...? I mean there's got to be some choice behind having Ash choose a Pikachu. At this point I would have preferred Charizard to be the one he picked and the mascot, at least that's fully evolved.

The anime helped him on his way. Clefairy was (supposed to be) the original mascot back in the pocket monsters manga, but I think fans preferred the MC's pikachu, so they went with that instead for the anime, then it stuck.
Does ORAS keep the character customisation features introduced in X & Y (or improves them any further, as some of these aspects, especially for male trainer characters, were still somewhat lacking) or are they planning to make them somewhat version exclusive to those games staring in the (apperantly) style and fashion obsessed Kalos region?
You know, I was fairly sure that they would keep customisation just because it doesn't make sense to randomly get rid of a (popular) feature (ORAS uses the same software). But I've had a quick look through all the pre-release pics and the characters clothes are always the same. I suppose the official reveals will keep it standard, but it just surprises nothing has been hinted at. And when you consider the original games didn't have customisation, maybe they will give it up?
It would be pretty funny if pikachu got more costume customisation than the player though.

The anime helped him on his way. Clefairy was (supposed to be) the original mascot back in the pocket monsters manga, but I think fans preferred the MC's pikachu, so they went with that instead for the anime, then it stuck.

You know, I was fairly sure that they would keep customisation just because it doesn't make sense to randomly get rid of a (popular) feature (ORAS uses the same software). But I've had a quick look through all the pre-release pics and the characters clothes are always the same. I suppose the official reveals will keep it standard, but it just surprises nothing has been hinted at. And when you consider the original games didn't have customisation, maybe they will give it up?
It would be pretty funny if pikachu got more costume customisation than the player though.
If clefairy was still the mascot:

"Clefairy likes to COSPLAY?"

Than wed all get hyped because clefairy was going to get new moves and all,LOL

I guess Clefairy looks too humanoid and therefore falls into uncanny valley for some children (or, even more likely, their parents). I don´t get why the anime team didn´t allow for Pikachu to evolve, though, as Raichu looks just fine, too.

I guess Clefairy looks too humanoid and therefore falls into uncanny valley for some children (or, even more likely, their parents). I don´t get why the anime team didn´t allow for Pikachu to evolve, though, as Raichu looks just fine, too.
Look at Pikachu and then look at Raichu. Which one is cuter and thus more marketable for a kids' series?

Tthe names of the protagonists have not been addressed yet. Well, it is reasonable considering you can choose your name, but Prof. Birch's kid uses the default name. In the contest screenshots, the protagonists are named Orlando and Anna (read: Ωrlando and αnna). These could just be random names, and I think it is more nostalgic to keep their old names, but maybe these will be their new ones? Also, I think it's weird that Wally hasn't been shown yet, considering you meet him so early in the game. His team sure benefitted from these 10 years (Roselia and Magneton got evolutions, Altaria and Gardevoir got Megas, the later of which also got a new typing and an alternate evolution; only Delcatty got nothing).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Tthe names of the protagonists have not been addressed yet. Well, it is reasonable considering you can choose your name, but Prof. Birch's kid uses the default name. In the contest screenshots, the protagonists are named Orlando and Anna (read: Ωrlando and αnna). These could just be random names, and I think it is more nostalgic to keep their old names, but maybe these will be their new ones? Also, I think it's weird that Wally hasn't been shown yet, considering you meet him so early in the game. His team sure benefitted from these 10 years (Roselia and Magneton got evolutions, Altaria and Gardevoir got Megas, the later of which also got a new typing and an alternate evolution; only Delcatty got nothing).
Delcatty is pretty lethal, actually.

Concerning the character customization, didn't the pre-release material for X and Y have the characters in the default outfits most of the time? I could have sworn they did.

Delcatty is pretty lethal, actually.

Concerning the character customization, didn't the pre-release material for X and Y have the characters in the default outfits most of the time? I could have sworn they did.
HOLY SHIT
MUCH COOL
SUCH TRAP

Imagine Mega Gengar doing that. It wouldnt need Gothitelle for the Shadow Tag. Bye guys, off to pokemon showdown.

Those are just the typical pre-release names. In pre-release screenshots for Black and White, Hilda and Hilbert were named "Blair" and "Whitlea" respectively and in pre-release screenshots for X and Y, Calem and Serena are named "Xavier" and "Yvonne". Some screenshots for OR/AS also use "Blake" and "Veronica" (lake and volcano) to show off multiplayer features. These are all just placeholder names. I really like the pattern naming.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Indeed. Unless there was a promo showing off customization, which I don't recall clearly.

It's likely that because of their more Iconic look they decided customization wouldn't "feel" right (even though I would get both games twice if I could take that stupid hat out of Brendan's head)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Don't forget that loads of features which were among the best things about their respective games (walking Pokémon, toggle-able Running Shoes, quick-access Bag pocket, Secret Bases, dynamic background music, uniquie Gym music, etc.) did not return after their initial game. If customization goes, it won't be the first brilliant feature to get the axe between games.

That being said, I expect it to be back with a vengeance come the next generation. It allows you to stand out and create an icon semi-unique to yourself on the PSS, the GTS or what have you. Hm, wonder how ORAS will handle that issue. Will suddenly half the avatars in the PSS or GTS be standard May or Brendan faces?

Don't forget that loads of features which were among the best things about their respective games (walking Pokémon, toggle-able Running Shoes, quick-access Bag pocket, Secret Bases, dynamic background music, uniquie Gym music, etc.) did not return after their initial game. If customization goes, it won't be the first brilliant feature to get the axe between games.

That being said, I expect it to be back with a vengeance come the next generation. It allows you to stand out and create an icon semi-unique to yourself on the PSS, the GTS or what have you. Hm, wonder how ORAS will handle that issue. Will suddenly half the avatars in the PSS or GTS be standard May or Brendan faces?
I'm pretty sure, if XY customization does not return, we'll get to choose a standard trainer class, like you could in gen 3, 4, and 5. I didn't play around with that feature in X and Y, so I don't know if you could - I only see people appearing as Gym leaders, Elite Four, the Champion, and some of Calem/Serena's friends.

Brendan's "hat" is really quite the revelation for me!

Anyway, concering Primal Reversion, I think it's almost safe to say that Regigigas will get a Primal form. From what we know so far about Primal Devolution, the Pokemon goes back to a more powerful state that it had in it's prime long ago, but was lost in the future to the extremely long rest. Regigigas fits the bill to get one perfectly, because it too was found in a weaker state after eons of slumber, and it was extremely powerful in its primal state. The home of its trio is in Hoenn, so I'm sure it would fit into Hoenn quite nicely.

Regigigas was said to be so powerful, it could move entire continents. That titan sure must've exerted some Pure Power Sheer Force in those days! It also built 3 living creatures out of the elements, perhaps using lava or fire to help create Registeel. Regigigas must have been quite Protean, being exposed to and using all the harsh elements in its day. Quite a creature of great Adaptability, wouldn't you say? According to what I remember from in-game lore, Regigigas was sealed away because the ancients feared it's power. It must've ruled with an Iron Fist back in the day! Okay I'm done

Brendan's "hat" is really quite the revelation for me!

Anyway, concering Primal Reversion, I think it's almost safe to say that Regigigas will get a Primal form. From what we know so far about Primal Devolution, the Pokemon goes back to a more powerful state that it had in it's prime long ago, but was lost in the future to the extremely long rest. Regigigas fits the bill to get one perfectly, because it too was found in a weaker state after eons of slumber, and it was extremely powerful in its primal state. The home of its trio is in Hoenn, so I'm sure it would fit into Hoenn quite nicely.

Regigigas was said to be so powerful, it could move entire continents. That titan sure must've exerted some Pure Power Sheer Force in those days! It also built 3 living creatures out of the elements, perhaps using lava or fire to help create Registeel. Regigigas must have been quite Protean, being exposed to and using all the harsh elements in its day. Quite a creature of great Adaptability, wouldn't you say? According to what I remember from in-game lore, Regigigas was sealed away because the ancients feared it's power. It must've ruled with an Iron Fist back in the day! Okay I'm done
I can contradict your theory with some of the guys that make Pokemon on Gamefreak's Slow Start, or actually just Stalling brains.
(Enough?)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
It is time.

Standard procedure guys. There hasn't been any news since the Slowbro reveal at worlds last week. Time for this thread to get locked up until more news is forthcoming. Please contact Stellar or I (DHR-107 ) if you get wind of something before we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)