Project Victim of the Week

Aragorn the King you wanted checks to Greninja and Kyu-B... here are some options !

HP Fire Greninja Check

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 108 SDef / 148 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

At one point I will stop ripping sets from Alexwolf but they're always so good... This Kyu-B has the bulk to only be 3HKOd at best by Greninja and respond w/ a Dragon Claw for upwards of 85% damage. It's a strong utility check to a lot of mons, namely (Mega) Gyarados / bulky waters / fast electrics. The speed is for Adamant Gyarados (who doesn't want to tank a fusion bolt in either forme) and Roost lets it keep checking the mons it's supposed to come in on throughout the match. It's a check and not a counter to Greninja because it can't afford to switch in if rocks are up:

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 108 SpD Kyurem-B: 157-187 (40.1 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 0 HP / 108 SpD Kyurem-B: 142-168 (36.3 - 42.9%) -- 95.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 244-288 (85.6 - 101%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Sub Kyurem-B Check

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

Kyurem-B struggles against fairies in general for their typically good bulk, and Clefable is arguably the most versatile fairy in the tier so I went with it. Virtually any 252 HP Clefable set is going to check special attacking Kyurem-B (or any Kyurem lacking Iron Head lol), as 252+ Ice Beam misses out on the 2HKO, and uninvested Moonblast 2HKOs in return. This set also sets up Stealth Rock, severely restricting Kyu-B's future switch-ins, but Clefable can also set up CMs in Kyu-Bs face and recover off the damage as it goes. Interestingly this set is also only 3HKOd at best by Greninja's Hydro Pump, making it a relatively safe check for that as well.

252+ SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 136-162 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- 64.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 122-144 (30.9 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 216-254 (53.3 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

tbh this set is basically a full counter but it does need to be at upwards of 70% to switch in... and there's always freeze hax.

Last edited:
Check:

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast / Nasty Plot / Taunt

I choose Thundy because is good in any team with his priority twave, but this is not the case; i choose him because other good counters was taken has a ground immunity, so we are immune to his stab, and this is good. Also we have a huge base 125 SAtk. This set carry a standard stab tbolt, hp ice (the move we use to kill him) the awesome prankster twave (ban pl0x) and a random coverage/utility move, wich is irrelevant in this scenario.

Probably we can counter gliscor if we don't switch on toxic with rocks, assuming we switch on toxic, with rocks, we are at 69% of health, unfortunaly this is the damage we can do with hp ice:

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 307-364 (87.2 - 103.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

So we probably die of LO recoil if we switch on toxic ;_;.

Also this spread for gliscor is stupid, he hit a leftovers point with 248 evs in HP and an odd number for rocks.

Check:

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spe
Calm / Careful Nature
-Taunt
-Roost
-Ice Beam / Knock Off
-Will-O-Wisp

One of the premier stallbreakers right now; Mew can come in on anything besides toxic and immediately out-speed and threaten Gliscor with a Taunt or Ice Beam. You only need to run 36 speed to beat this Gliscor set, but feel free to run more. Knock Off can be used instead of Ice Beam, but it will force you to PP stall Gliscor's earthquakes in order to beat it. No matter what attacking move you choose, this is not a battle Gliscor can win.

0 SpA Mew Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 240-284 (68.1 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 103-123 (25.4 - 30.4%) -- 0.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Check:

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spe
Calm / Careful Nature
-Taunt
-Roost
-Ice Beam / Knock Off
-Will-O-Wisp

One of the premier stallbreakers right now; Mew can come in on anything besides toxic and immediately out-speed and threaten Gliscor with a Taunt or Ice Beam. You only need to run 36 speed to beat this Gliscor set, but feel free to run more. Knock Off can be used instead of Ice Beam, but it will force you to PP stall Gliscor's earthquakes in order to beat it. No matter what attacking move you choose, this is not a battle Gliscor can win.

0 SpA Mew Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 240-284 (68.1 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 103-123 (25.4 - 30.4%) -- 0.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Can you explain why it is a check, since this sounds like a counter?

Can you explain why it is a check, since this sounds like a counter?
Unless you decide to run Heal Bell over Will-O-Wisp, coming in on a toxic could potentially cripple it for the rest of the match. Maybe I'm just being too strict with my definition of a counter, but I think an actual counter should be able to switch in on any of Gliscor's moves with impunity, such as Mega Venusaur or Poison Heal Breloom.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Counter

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Toxic is healed with Natural Cure, LO Hydro Pump OHKOes, and EQ does as much as Recovery heals, so you have a decent counter right there. This set is also a very good answer to Heatran for offensive teams, as well as an ok check to Keldeo that can last a bit more than 3 attacks + Analytic sets.

Counter

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Clear Smog
- Spore

This set completely walls Gliscor, stays healthy with Giga Drain, and threatens back with Hidden Power Ice, which usually 3HKOes SpD Gliscor, forcing it to Roost every once and then, which you can take advantage of with Giga Drain (super effective when Gliscor Roosts). Eventually, Amoonguss will either force Gliscor out or pp stall it.

Check

Heracross-Mega (M) @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

M-Heracross can set up on Gliscor: he's faster, and resists to the principal stab: Earthquake. One Sword Dance and just win. Toxik or not M-Heracross just doesn't care, easy right ?
We just need to avoid the Taunt.

+2 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 325-385 (92.3 - 109.3%) -- approx. 56.3% chance to OHKO

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Week 9:
Thanks so much for the nine checks and eight counters to Gliscor! The only bad part of this is having to eliminate some solid entries. So, as always, feel free to PM me if you're wondering why your/a entry wasn't chosen.

This week, we'll do CroCune!

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald

CroCune, or Calm Mind Rest Offensive Suicune (yes I know it doesn't really stand for that Arikado :P ), is a fantastic Pokemon. It has insane physical defense and a great defensive typing, and is thus able to boost with Calm Mind very easily. It absorbs status thanks to Rest, and isn't a sitting duck while resting, thanks to the 67% chance of it using Calm Mind or Scald because of Sleep Talk. Suicune is able to function as a bulky water, a status absorber, and a win condition on stall teams, and so is a Pokemon you really need an answer to.

Last edited:
Counter

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish/Moonlight
- Protect/Flamethrower

went with bold to max defenses
Unaware means CM boosts do next to nothing.
Own CM moon blast set.
Can't use softboiled so went wish protect. Moonlight and flamethrower are viable.

+6 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Clefable: 87-103 (22 - 26.1%)
0 SpA Unaware Clefable Moonblast vs. +6 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 87-103 (21.5 - 25.4%)

+6 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. +6 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Clefable: 22-27 (5.5 - 6.8%)
+6 0 SpA Unaware Clefable Moonblast vs. +6 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 348-409 (86.1 - 101.2%)

I can boost in its face and then proceed to sweep.

Would also like to nominate Azumarill or Thunderus for the next victim.

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Unaware Clefable

Would also like to nominate Azumarill or Thunderus for the next victim.
I'll keep those in mind. So far I've done twelve offensive victims and two defensive victims, so I've been trying to balance it out a bit w/ Gliscor and Suicune. But yeah, maybe from now on I'll alternate, especially since some offensive powerhouses haven't been done yet.

This is probably one of the harder ones to do. While Suicune is a bitch to get going sometimes (its often hard to find the right opportunity to set up) but when you get it going, you get it going. To find a solid counter to it is quite the task, but this is always a good one:

Counter

Slowbro
Item: Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp Atk
Bold Nature
-Scald
-Psyshock
-Calm Mind
-Slack Off

I challenge thee to a Calm mind war!

Alright now that I got that out of the way, Slowbro is one of the better mons capable of fighting of Suicune just due to the fact it resists its STAB and is able to counter act Suicune's boosts with its own. While one may wonder where is the merit in having a battle that relies on crits to win, look no further for Psyshock, which allows Slowbro to it Suicune for Physical damage off of its Special Attack stat. Behold:

+6 4 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 226-267 (55.9 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and Suicune cant hope to pester its hide even with +6 boosts of its own:

+6 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. +6 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 48-57 (12.1 - 14.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever

So I think a nice solid counter (only to be usurped by that of Mega Bro in the near future).

I'd right more but im feeling lazy right now. English papers ive been writing all damn day. O-O

Nominating Mew as a CHECK

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 104 SDef / 152 Spd
Careful Nature
-Will-O-Wisp
-Taunt
-Roost / Soft-Boiled
-Knock Off

Mew is currently one of the best stallbreakers in OU atm. It also serves as a legit check to CroCune because it can switch in, use Taunt to stop it from using 3 of its 4 moves, and wear it down with Will-o-Wisp and Knock Off. The plan is to switch in (Suicune's first priority is to usually use Calm Mind). When you switch in, you Taunt it to prevent it from using Calm Mind again. If the Suicune user predicts that and uses Scald, you don't take too much.

+1 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 97-115 (24 - 28.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mew is a check instead of a counter because it doesn't appreciate random Scald burns, but if Suicune gets the burn before Mew uses Will-O-Wisp, Mew's Synchronize ability makes it so that Suicune gets burned too. Mew then proceeds to use Knock Off, taking off Suicune's lefties. Use Taunt whenever Suicune's Taunt wears off, you always get the Taunt off because you're faster.

Last edited:
Counter

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Well, crocune simply can't touch me. With dry skin i am immune against scald. With taunt i can shutdown rest, and kill him with gunk shot:

252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 160-188 (39.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

The set is the classic UU set, taunt is an addition wich help to be more stallbreaker, gunk shot is the classic stab, drain punch is for get back some HP because this is gen 6 and we aren't in the rain and sucker punch is a strong priority because we aren't so fast,.Toxicroak is the classic anti metagame mon. Resist to fight and dark, like the fairy typing, with the awesome addition of grass, poison, bug and rock. Can check threats like keldeo and lolterrakion, and has a water immunity, pretty unique in this gen.

Last edited:
Maractus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Atk / 48 SpA / 208 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Spikes
- Bullet Seed
- Grass Knot
- Sucker Punch

Suicune Scald vs. Storm Drain Maractus: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time
252+ Atk Maractus Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 144-168 (35.6 - 41.5%) -- approx. 59% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Counter

Wobbuffet @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 228 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Counter
- Safeguard

Wobbuffet can come in on any move, take Scalds like a champ and retaliate back with Mirror Coat. Suicune can't stall it out by wearing it down with Scald and then Resting off Mirror Coat damage, as Wobb can Encore Suicune into Scald and 3HKO with Mirror Coat, assuming Suicune is at neutral SpA. While Suicune can set up to +6, Wobbuffet can tank the +6 Scald and KO with Mirror Coat. In addition, Safeguard prevents Wobbuffet from getting burned and taking annoying passive burn damage.

0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 28 HP / 248 SpD Wobbuffet: 87-103 (16.4 - 19.5%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

+6 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 28 HP / 248 SpD Wobbuffet: 348-409 (65.9 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Blatantly C/Ping from the analysis because I'm lazy

Counter

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- move

Takes Scalds like nothing, prevents set up with Clear Smog, and basically walls it to hell and back. Doesn't exactly deal a ton of damage to it (Giga Drain does like 30-40%), but it's enough to heal off any burn damage, so you're basically set to sit around forever. Sporing Suicune prevents it from Resting away your damage, so you can break through if you time your Spore properly and get a bit of luck with Sleep Talk rolls, if it doesn't roll Calm Mind you've got it beat, if it does CM hit it with Clear Smog and try again.

C/Ping because it's important.
Amoonguss and Celebi are pretty good stops, I admit (I posted Celebi). But keep in mind that Amoonguss gets 12 Clear Smogs (Pressure) and Celebi gets 8 Perish Songs while Suicune gets ~37 Calm Minds factoring in Sleep Talk. So don't Clear Smog/Perish Song every time Suicune uses a Calm Mind or you'll run out. They can take heavily boosted Scalds easily, so try to bait Suicune to set up to about +4 to +6 before you go remove its boosts.

Last edited:

Celebi: Counter

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: Whatever
- Perish Song
- Recover / Giga Drain
- Filler
- Filler

Celebi can switch into Scalds all day, with nice bulk (no matter the EV spreads), and Natural Cure to shrug off burns. Perish Song means that Celebi will force Suicune out, and unlike traditional phazing, allows Celebi to win even if Suicune is the last pokemon (provided that you have something to win the battle on turn 3). Recover and Giga Drain keep Celebi healthy but it takes so little from Scalds that you can get away without them.

As you can see by the amount of set I didn't post, as long as you have Perish Song, your Celebi is very customizable.

For the viability of Perish Song Celebi against other pokemon, it's kinda nice because Celebi can't actually force out everything it would like to, as it usually doesn't run as many attacking moves as it would like. Perish Song helps with that. For example, if you passed up Psychic, it has a hard time forcing out Breloom, and Perish Song can help with that.

Perish Song also lets Celebi force out any similar boosting pokemon that takes several turns to become threatening. Clefable can be forced out as long as it doesn't have enough boosts to make Flamethrower hurt. Manaphy without Ice Beam goes down the same way as Suicune. DeNiSsSs' Geomancy Pass team is shut down, Celebi can survive Espeon's stored power and eventually cut off its sweep with Perish Song.

Counter

Greninja @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Grass Knot
- Hydro Pump/Scald
- Ice Beam/Extrasensory/Hidden Power Fire/U-Turn

While rarely seen, Taunt Greninja can deny both setup and recovery, and Grass Knot 2HKOs even +1 Suicune without sacrificing the water resistance that allows it to limit +1 Scald to a 4HKO. Grass Knot and Taunt are the only relevant moves for fighting Suicune, the last two are standard Greninja coverage. Expert Belt is an option over Life Orb if longevity is a concern, as the extra power isn't necessary to secure the KO when carrying Taunt.

Counter

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
-Agility
-Thunderbolt
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Miss

World's most fabulous Mega, what do you think will happen when a Drago Electric faces Crocune? I chose the agility set to give Ampharos more viability in his team (and a break from all the defensive counters listed) and to be a general threat with his amazing STAB Combo, and being a Dragon he takes Scald very lightly as it does max 20% boosted by 1 stage.

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 230-272 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Counter

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

Well, crocune simply can't touch me. With dry skin i am immune against scald. With taunt i can shutdown rest, and kill him with gunk shot:

252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 160-188 (39.6 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

The set is the classic UU set, taunt is an addition wich help to be more stallbreaker, gunk shot is the classic stab, drain punch is for get back some HP because this is gen 6 and we aren't in the rain and sucker punch is a strong priority because we aren't so fast,.Toxicroak is the classic anti metagame mon. Resist to fight and dark, like the fairy typing, with the awesome addition of grass, poison, bug and rock. Can check threats like keldeo and lolterrakion, and has a water immunity, pretty unique in this gen.
I'm sorry but as a UU player that set just makes me cringe.

Run SD over taunt every time. Not only can you ko crocune more easily but toxicroak also becomes a major threat to anything that's slower or that doesn't resist sucker punch (gunk shot has a 68.8% chance to ohko max 252/252+ defensive slowbro after rocks at +2). Plus you get free setup opportunities in the face of crocune (though if playing a good player in a team preview meta, you should anticipate the double switch from suicune into toxicroak counter if they aren't playing it cautiously enough) as well as choice banded azumarill (or even bd since you outspeed and ko with gunk shot - although you may not be willing to take risks with that).

Toxicroak's base 108 attack stat is not very high at all, paling in comparison to most ou threats like terrakion (who can ko you with earthquake so not a free switch) with drain punch having low base 75 power while gunk shot has a shaky 80% accuracy with a plethora of resistances. Thus, SD is essential to turn toxicroak into a threat in uu but also in OU (talonflame has low attack too, but base 120 stab and an amazing offensive ability give it a free pass). This reliance on sd for anything resembling damage is also why av croak is garbage.

The speed evs seem a bit of a waste- while fine in uu, toxicroak really doesn't have much that's relevant that it can outspeed in ou besides Bisharp so it's better off investing 116 evs into bulk to take resisted attacks better while keeping enough speed to beat bisharp

Check

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Manaphy checks Suicune by virtue of it being able to boost much faster than Suicune can. The only times you lose to Suicune is if you switch in after Suicune has already accumulated 2 or more Calm Minds (which should never happen), or you're really, really, really weaken and will die to a boosted Scald. This is a check, and not a counter however, since Manaphy can only come in against Suicune so many times with no recovery, and doesn't appreciate getting burned by random Scalds. However, Manaphy does have some benefits over other checks and counters. Switching in on Suicune guarantees you a free Tail Glow, which instantly makes Manaphy super threatening to the enemy team. So if you're looking for a more offensively oriented check to Suicune, definitely consider Manaphy.

Calcs

4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 39-47 (10.8 - 13%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+1 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 59-70 (16.3 - 19.3%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 79-93 (21.8 - 25.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 99-117 (27.4 - 32.4%) -- 61.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+4 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 118-140 (32.6 - 38.7%) -- 6.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

The above calcs show that Manaphy can stomach a Scald from Suicune even at +4, as long as you haven't dropped below about 40%. Sure, +5 and +6 Scald hurt a lot, but that shouldn't happen. You'll be at +6 and 2HKOing Suicune way before he gets that many boosts.

+6 252 SpA Manaphy Energy Ball vs. +3 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 232-274 (57.4 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252 SpA Manaphy Energy Ball vs. +4 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 194-230 (48 - 56.9%) -- 36.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If Suicune stays in against Manaphy, it's going to be getting 2HKOed by +6 Energy Ball at worst. It can live an attempt to stall out Energy Ball if it gets to +5 or +6, but again that shouldn't happen. Manaphy simply boosts too fast for Suicune to get more than a couple Calm Minds in.

Now take a look at what happens in the two most likely scenarios.

If you switch in on Scald, you take 10-13% damage, which is laughable. There is a chance you'll get burned, but regardless you get a free Tail Glow under your belt and instantly become a major threat, since Suicune literally does nothing to you and is forced to switch. If he doesn't, then you can Tail Glow again and +6 Energy Ball wrecks him regardless of what he does, leaving your opponent with a dead Suicune and you with a barely hurt +6 Manaphy.

If you switch in on Calm Mind, just Tail Glow up and fire off Energy Balls. You boost way faster than Suicune can, so after two Tail Glows you win, while Suicune obviously doesn't come close to killing you.

Any smart player will probably switch out, and give you your free Tail Glow, but say you switch in on Calm Mind and Suicune stays in and tries to outboost you. After two turns, you're at +6 Special Attack and Suicune is at +3 Special Attack and +3 Special Defense. You outspeed Suicune and can smash him with an Energy Ball for 57-68% of his health. If Suicune goes for another Calm Mind, you still KO him on the next turn with another Energy Ball (unless you literally roll minimum damage both times). If he tries to Scald you, that only does 27-32% to you. And if he Rests, he's only delaying the inevitable, since Energy Ball still 2HKOs him.

Check

Mega Alakazam (F) @ Alakazite
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Encore
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

It can switch on every move bar Scald and force it out thanks to Encore, nothing much to say. Things like Curse Gastrodon would be but I feel like that Mega Alakazam is more useful against the rest of the meta so Im posting it. Obv things like Maractus can 100% wall Suicune but would we use them in a serious match? I don't think so..

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Counter

Thundy hard walls CroCune pretty simply. Goes in on rest, taunts so suicune has to wait for himself to wake up. When the taunt ends, taunt again so CroCune can't rest. And thundy 2HKOs with Thunderbolt.

Actually, Leftovers Thundurus isn't a Suicune counter, it's just a not rly good check because if it switches on CM it wouldn't be quite strong to beat Suicune, unless CH happens of course. If it switches-in Scald thats better but Scald burn is annoying and Suicune can just switches out before you hit it, so thats pointless. Some calcs:

252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 170-204 (42 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recover

+1 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 144-169 (48.1 - 56.5%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO (as you can see Scald hurts a bit and if Stealth Rock are up and Thundurus had already taken a bit of damage, Scald will KO it)

Because of these reasons Leftovers Thundurus is most likely a Suicune check. Life Orb Thundurus is something closer to a counter because it hits much harder and can 2HKO Suicune even after 1 CM but since it has some problem with Scald burn as well, I would call it a check as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)