NU Steelix

Overview
########
With a base 200 Defense stat, it's no surprise that Steelix is one of the best physical walls in NU. Due to its ten resistances, Steelix is capable of shutting down common physical threats such as Swellow and Sneasel. Furthermore, Steelix has access to Stealth Rock and phazing moves, offering valuable support to teams. However, its four weaknesses are very common, and it has a lackluster Special Defense stat. This, combined with its lack of reliable recovery, means that Steelix can be worn down very quickly if used incorrectly.

Wall
########
name: Wall
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Roar / Dragon Tail
move 4: Heavy Slam / Gyro Ball
ability: Sturdy
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Careful / Sassy

Moves
========
Steelix is one of the most reliable users of Stealth Rock in the tier, and, given the move's overall utility, there's no reason not to run it. Earthquake is Steelix's primary STAB move, threatening a majority of the Pokemon that Steelix walls when paired with its Steel-type STAB move. While the choice of Heavy Slam or Gyro Ball is up to the user, they both have similar damage outputs. Gyro Ball deals more damage to faster Pokemon such as Scyther, Haunter, and most Choice Scarf wielders; whereas Heavy Slam deals more to lighter Pokemon such as Granbull. Because Heavy Slam has a higher PP, it is the recommended choice. Roar goes through Substitutes and hit Fairies, while Dragon Tail hits Soundproof users and deals some damage. Either of these phazing moves lets Steelix force a boosted threat out while also racking up passive damage by switching in random and potentially ineffective Pokemon.

Set Details
========
The EVs maximize overall bulk, as Steelix's physical bulk doesn't need a huge boosteven with minimal Defense investment, Steelix can easily takes most physical hits. Leftovers gives Steelix passive recovery, as it has no other form of recovery. Both natures listed boost Special Defense; use a Sassy nature with Gyro Ball and a Careful nature without it. Steelix has a variety of usable EV spreads, so you can change it based on what you want to stop. For example, a spread of 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD and a Relaxed nature lets Steelix focus more on physical bulk while keeping some special bulk. If you do choose to use Gyro Ball, you should also give Steelix 0 Speed IVs. Lastly, Sturdy is the only ability with any use.

Usage Tips
========

Steelix has a very simple job, which is dealing with physical attackers. It should switch into Pokemon that can't damage it and then respond with an attack or a support option. Steelix shouldn't stay in against special attackers, however, as most special attacks will do significant damage to it. This is especially pertinent because Steelix has no way of healing off that damage. Keep in mind that a few of the Pokemon Steelix can stop, like Electivire, can run special or mixed sets, so be careful when switching into such threats. This set can also stop most Uxie and Mesprit variants, although you need to beware of getting tricked a Choice item.

Team Options
========
One of Steelix's primary roles is to set up Stealth Rock. As such, Pokemon that can deal with Rapid Spin users and Defoggers are appreciated. Gourgeist and Mismagius are great teammates, as they have access to Will-O-Wisp to weaken physical attackers and are also immune to Ground- and Fighting-type attacks, two of Steelix's weaknesses, respectively. Specially defensive Pokemon such as Cryogonal are also great allies given Steelix's lack of special bulk. Lanturn is another good teammate given its ability to scare both Fire- and Water-types out. Vileplume deals with Water- and Fighting-types well, although it shares a weakness to Fire with Steelix. Lastly, a little Wish support goes a long way in preserving Steelix given its lack of recovery.

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Iron Head
move 3: Crunch / Rock Slide
move 4: Stealth Rock
ability: Sheer Force
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
nature: Adamant / Brave

Moves
========
Earthquake and Iron Head are Steelix's two main STAB moves on this set, with Iron Head being boosted by Sheer Force. The third attacking move depends on what you want to hit; Crunch does more damage to Rotom, Uxie, and Mesprit, whereas Rock Slide hits Flying-types such as Pelipper, Mantine, and Rotom-S. Stone Edge is not used because Rock Slide is more accurate and, with Sheer Force, more powerful. Fire Fang or Thunder Fang can be used to hit Ferroseed or Water / Flying types, but the lack of power is disappointing. The last move in this set should be Stealth Rock, as it provides great team support.

Set Details
========
The EVs maximize Steelix's Attack and overall bulk. There's no need for investment in Defense given Steelix's massive base Defense stat. Using a Life Orb allows Steelix to do tons of damage while not locking itself into one move. An Adamant nature gives Steelix an Attack boost, while Sheer Force boosts the power of most of its moves and makes the damage output of this set reasonable.

Usage Tips
========
With Steelix's bulk, it is easy to switch in and start attacking. However, because it has very clear counters, bringing it in through a double switch is often a good idea. Steelix won't sweep very often, but it can punch holes in the opposing team that your other sweepers can make use of.

Team Options
========
Physical sweepers like Feraligatr and Klinklang are good teammates because they can take advantage of the damage Steelix does to their counters, turning 2HKOs into OHKOs. Grass-types such as Lilligant are good teammates, threatening the Water-types that often switch into Steelix, while Steelix deals with the Poison-types that threaten them. Fighting-types also enjoy Steelix's ability to deal with Psychic- and Fairy-type Pokemon, so Gurdurr and Hariyama work well with it. Normal- and Bug-type sweepers enjoy that Steelix deals with Rock- and Steel-types, so Tauros, Zangoose, and Scyther are good teammates as well. Finally, due to its lack of recovery, a little Wish support can help Steelix immensely.

Other Options
########
Steelix has a ton of other options, but most of them are nowhere near as good as the ones listed. Rock Polish is usable, but Steelix is still too slow after using it. Protect + Leftovers could be used with Sturdy to scout and regain HP lost to entry hazards, allowing Steelix to use Sturdy again. Explosion is an option, but it will often fail to KO most Pokemon and is significantly less useful than it would be with the unreleased Custap Berry. Rocky Helmet could be used, but Steelix needs all the recovery it can get from Leftovers. Rock Head's only use is with Double-Edge, which is nowhere near as powerful as Steelix's other moves. Toxic can be used to spread status, but there are often better choices for such a role, such as Sandslash or Seismitoad. Curse boosts Steelix's Attack and Defense while making Gyro Ball even more powerful, but Steelix usually doesn't have time to set up before a special attacker switches in.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon such as Typhlosion and Pyroar can outspeed and KO Steelix with their super effective Fire-type attacks.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Samurott and Seismitoad force Steelix out every time they switch in.

**Fighting-types**: Despite its sky-high physical defense, STAB Fighting-type moves from Pokemon such as Sawk and Hariyama will wear Steelix down quickly.

**Ground-types**: A strong Earthquake will put a dent in Steelix, so Ground-types such as Golurk are very hard for Steelix to get around.

**Special Attackers**: Any strong neutral special attack will take a chunk out of Steelix's health, so special attackers such as Choice Specs Rotom, Lilligant, and Mismagius can cause serious problems.

**Burn**: Getting burned cripples Steelix by lowering its damage output and wearing it down.

**Xatu**: If Steelix is running Roar, Xatu is a counter because it can Roost off any damage and bounce back Stealth Rock, all while setting up with Calm Mind.

**Defog and Rapid Spin**: Pelipper, Swanna, and Mantine can scare Steelix out with Water-type moves and use Defog to remove its entry hazards. They should all be wary of taking a Rock Slide or Thunder Fang, however. Similarly, Sandslash has the bulk to take whatever Steelix throws at it and Rapid Spin away Stealth Rock while also hitting it with super effective Earthquakes.

Last edited:
You should really mention the LO Sheer Force set in more detail

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

It hits very hard and still has a shitton of natural bulk, deserves to be on the analysis too imo

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I see that you mention that you should run Relaxed in Moves. You should slash it after Impish and retain the mention in moves, just to keep things more clear.
Rapid Spinners can be mentioned in Checks and Counters, as well as other defogers than Water / Flying Pokemon. Any one of them could be considered a check to something that's primary purpose in Stealth Rock.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
use 252 hp 96 def 160 sdef relaxed for a jump point u dont need that much def the set should be sr / eq / gyro / roar heavy slam is not needed

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Remove the mention of explosion and the speed from OO, as there's really no point in mentioning it. Also, remove the mention of the "possible" spread to beat CM pluff, cause that's what the main set should be :P

Implement what other two have said; also you could make mention of special moves in OO, as with Life orb and sheer force Earth Power and Flash Cannon really hurt.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
-On the first set I think iron head should be / on there as Gyro ball PP can easily be stalled out on a wall and Heavy Slam is gimmicky as there are a lot of biggish mons out there.
- I agree that Sheer Force should have its own set

I see that you mention that you should run Relaxed in Moves. You should slash it after Impish and retain the mention in moves, just to keep things more clear.
Rapid Spinners can be mentioned in Checks and Counters, as well as other defogers than Water / Flying Pokemon. Any one of them could be considered a check to something that's primary purpose in Stealth Rock.
Added

You should really mention the LO Sheer Force set in more detail

Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

It hits very hard and still has a shitton of natural bulk, deserves to be on the analysis too imo
A physical attacker could work, although I've never tried it. Here's the problem I have with the moves: Iron head + Sheer Force has an effective base power of 104. If you're running Brave and 0 speed IVs, then Gyro ball is more powerful as long as your opponent has more than 243 speed, which is a max-speed nuetral natured base 72 pokemon. Heavy Slam is usually more powerful than Gyro ball, though I don't have an easily manipulatable list of pokemon weights with me. So Iron head is usually weaker than gyro ball and heavy slam. Smiliarly, Rock slide has an effecctive BP of 97.5, while stone edge has a BP of 100 (granted, makes rock slide a better choice). If the basis of this set is using Sheer Force, then I don't think it warrants an entire set. If it still is worth a set, I'd replace Iron Head with Heavy Slam or Gyro Ball.

Also, out of curiosity, what do the 12 Speed evs help you outspeed?

use 252 hp 96 def 160 sdef relaxed for a jump point u dont need that much def the set should be sr / eq / gyro / roar heavy slam is not needed
First off, I went through a good number of calcs, and heavy slam seemed to do more damage than gyro ball on a regular basis. For heavy slam to be at 120 BP, the pokemon much weigh 80kg or less (for reference, Swampert is 80kg). For gyro ball to be at 120 BP, the pokemon must be at 279 speed or more - max speed nuetral base 90's. Most pokemon get hit approximately equally hard, so there really is a choice to be made. For example: Slurpuff has a chance of getting KO'd by heavy slam but not by Gyro Ball, unless it has the unburden boost, at which point Gyro ball has a 100% chance of getting the KO. Gyro ball is better against Beartic, while Heavy Slam is stronger against Sandslash (there is no shortage of examples and counter-examples here).

As for the EV spread, I think I should list a few possibilities, depending on what you want to survive/KO. If you think that's the best one, I'll stick that in as the main one and list the others in set details. From my experience, Steelix dies to almost any decently powered special hit, so I personally prefer investing in defense so it can actually survive more than a few turns against physical attackers. No recovery really sucks in that regard.

That being said, could you point out what this survives that the other EV spreads don't?

-On the first set I think iron head should be / on there as Gyro ball PP can easily be stalled out on a wall and Heavy Slam is gimmicky as there are a lot of biggish mons out there.
- I agree that Sheer Force should have its own set
Most biggish mons are also very slow. For example, 0 speed Rhydon gets hit by a 80 BP Heavy Slam while Gyro Ball has 50 BP. Also, most biggish mons are Rock/Steel types, so EQ is usually better regardless. For every example of a big, fast mon, I can give a slow, light one. Hence why the two moves are slashed. The general gist that I got from running calcs was that it only makes a difference on a few pokemon, but Heavy Slam consistantly gives a couple % more on average (120 BP vs ~110).

Can you list some pokemon that Steelix would stay in on and attack with a steel type move, but not KO or do significant damage to, to the point that it will get PP stalled? Steelix is most useful against physical attackers, which can't really PP stall you, and the difference in power is very noticable. Its like the difference between using close combat and brick break.

Remove the mention of explosion and the speed from OO, as there's really no point in mentioning it. Also, remove the mention of the "possible" spread to beat CM pluff, cause that's what the main set should be :P

Implement what other two have said; also you could make mention of special moves in OO, as with Life orb and sheer force Earth Power and Flash Cannon really hurt.
I think explosion is less of a gimmick than a base 55 special attacker.
Also, Steelix beats physical slurpuff. The special defense was to take a +1 Flamethrower from a modest slurpuff, which is usually not the goal of a physically bulky steel type.

---
Conclusions:

If the consensus is that there should be a physical attacking set, I'll add it in.

I still believe Gyro Ball and Heavy Slam should be slashed, though the order is subject to change. Iron head isn't worth the power drop usually, but I'll give it a mention in other options.

I'll change the EV spread to what FLCL mentioned, although I'll talk about the other possible spreads.

Physical Life Orb Sheer Force should definitely get a set. It's really powerful, and it's still really bulky.

I think Dragon Tail might be better than Roar. There's like no SubBU sweepers that you have to worry about, Fairies get crushed by Steel coverage, and Steels get crushed by Ground coverage. Roar could be cool too though. Up to you guys really, but we should probably just pick one.

Explosion in OO is fine. I wouldn't bother with special moves because its physical moves with Sheer Force are fine. You should mention Bulldoze in Set Comments for the Sheer Force set though. It's weaker, but it doesn't cause Life Orb recoil, which is nice for something bulky like Steelix. But it should only be in Set Comments because it's really noticeably weaker:

252+ Atk Life Orb Steelix Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 175-208 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Steelix Bulldoze vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 136-161 (39.8 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I honestly don't care about Heavy Slam vs. Gyro Ball, but I'd rather we picked one than slashing them if possible.

So I went through and calc'd Steelix against each pokemon listed on the viability ranking as B- or better. Here were the results for most effective move:
EQ: 29
Gyro Ball: 16
Heavy Slam: 15
Equal (also, if both KO): 7
Notable:
Slurpuff - Gyro ball does more after the unburden boost, but Heavy Slam still KOs at 75% even with uninvested att.
Haunter - Gyro Ball KO's, Heavy Slam has a 50/50 shot
Scyther - Gyro Ball 2kos, Heavy Slam has a 90% chance to 2ko

Based on this completely unsicentific method, gyro ball is the attack I'm putting in the main set, with Heavy Slam listed as an alternative in the description.

I'll add in a physical attacking set some time in the next couple days, and then it can go through QC, I guess.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Gyro Ball is the much better move; literally the only mon where Heavy Slam beats that its other moves don't is Granbull, although Steelix is such a great switchin to Granbull that having the means to actually beat it is worth a mention in Moves. Not worthy of a slash, though.

The phasing move section needs better explanation: why does Steelix need a phasing move? Does it force out some dangerous boosted threats, or does it prevent Steelix from being set up on by certain threats?

Punchshroom

You did not specify what Gyro Ball and Heavy Slam do specifically in 'Moves' on the Physical Wall Set.

You could mention that Gyro Ball lets Steelix do large damage to even moderately fast Pokemon, especially those resistant/immune to Earthquake (name examples), caps out at 150 power, and list relevant Pokemon that are hit harder by neutral Gyro Ball than neutral Earthquake so that people can get a good idea of the optimum speed benchmark for Gyro Ball to outdamage Earthquake.

Heavy Slam is pretty much just for Granbull, which Gyro Ball does not damage as much.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Set
########
name: Physical Wall
move 3: Dragon Tail/Roar
move 4: Gyro Ball
ability: Sturdy
evs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
IVs: 0 Speed
nature: Relaxed
Set
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Rock Slide
move 3: Gyro Ball
move 4: Stealth Rock / Dragon Tail
ability: Sheer Force
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Speed
nature: Brave
you're sopposed to put the names where you have written "Set" as well as where it says "name:". Just a little formatting error

You did not specify what Gyro Ball and Heavy Slam do specifically in 'Moves' on the Physical Wall Set.

You could mention that Gyro Ball lets Steelix do large damage to even moderately fast Pokemon, especially those resistant/immune to Earthquake (name examples), caps out at 150 power, and list relevant Pokemon that are hit harder by neutral Gyro Ball than neutral Earthquake so that people can get a good idea of the optimum speed benchmark for Gyro Ball to outdamage Earthquake.

Heavy Slam is pretty much just for Granbull, which Gyro Ball does not damage as much.
Added, minus the part of maxing out at 150 power, because whether or not it goes above base 150 power will rarely make a difference to the user. It hits 150 power against a max speed + nature base 109 pokemon, so the only pokemon against which it should have more than 150 but doesn't are ninjask, accelgor, sneasel, persian, and swoobat, most of which it already KO's.

I also fixed the names of the sets.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Added, minus the part of maxing out at 150 power, because whether or not it goes above base 150 power will rarely make a difference to the user. It hits 150 power against a max speed + nature base 109 pokemon, so the only pokemon against which it should have more than 150 but doesn't are ninjask, accelgor, sneasel, persian, and swoobat, most of which it already KO's.
You could also mention scarfers when you talk about this, as i think they will also boost Gyro Ball's power (correct me if i'm wrong)

I would mention Curse in OO, boosts up to Gyro Ball and makes it even more powerful

[feel free to ignore, im not qc member]

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Curse is fine to mention. Not slash-worthy, but putting it in OO is good with me.

Anyway does anyone else think the defensive set should just run max SpD? I always preferred it over the current spread because it takes on shit like mixed Archeops, Mesprit, Cryo, etc so much better and it doesn't need investment to beat BD Slurpuff / Pawniard or w/e anyway, so I don't see much point personally. QC thoughts?

Also Iron Head should always be used over Gyro on LO coolking49

Punchshroom

I am inclined to agree with Dat Blast's suggestion to make Steelix SpD. Most physical attackers that Def Steelix would like to tank (mainly offensive Normal-types like Zangoose, Tauros, and Kangaskhan) are for the most part handled better by Rhydon, while Steelix is more equipped to handle special attackers like Mesprit, Cryo, Mismagius, mixed Archeops, special Slurpuff, Dragalge, non-Focus Blast Sceptile, etc...

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
yea when i use Steelix, i always end up running Max SpDef for the reasons Punchshroom and Dat Blast pointed out.

Also, I personally prefer Sheer Force Iron Head on my Steelix than Sturdy Gyro Ball; you have more PP, and its decently strong (like, ~100bp?). Having more PP is huge, especially when Steelix is usually the mon that checks CM Psychics on stall. Currently, SubCM Uxie can easily stall out Steelix out of Gyro Ball, which doesn't break the Substitute either, and win 1v1. Iron Head doesn't really break it 100% of the time unfortunately, but 24pp>8pp when it comes to beating SubCM Uxie. The rare Psyshock Giga Drain variant can still beat Steelix though iirc(?). Speaking of Uxie too, Heavy Slam is actually a good move against it as it breaks the Substitute without any attack investment and has 16pp.

here's the calcs vs 188hp / 60 def Uxie with 216 Spe (way too lazy to check the one we have in the analyse, this is the spread i use and like (leftovers number and the Substitute takes an Audino's Knock Off))

Heavy Slam 25.1 - 30.1%
Earthquake 0 - 0%
Gyro Ball 17.1 - 20.4%
Iron Head 22.1 - 26%

Heavy Slam is meh outside of Uxie though, and Iron Head is more consistent. If you don't really need Steelix to have the best matchup ever vs SubCM Uxie, then Gyro Ball works too I guess.

Here's what I think should be the set coolking49, tell me what you think of it:

Wall
########
move 2: Iron Head / Gyro Ball
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Roar
ability: Sheer Force / Sturdy
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD (if someone has a better SpDef spread, pls share)

Mention the 0 Speed IVs in Sets Details for when using Gyro Ball.

With Heavy Slam in AC if needed to handle SubCM Uxie even better and other important targets if they exist. I also like Protect on my Steelix sometimes for scouting when my teams doesn't need phazing, so maybe add it to AC too?

I also think that the LO Sheer Force set needs to be updated. Iron Head / Earthquake / Crunch / Stealth Rock, and I have seen people run some Speed on their LO Steelix, but I forgot what it was for lol (like 84 for Gurdurr I think?, but eh).

Also what's everyone opinion on Special Steelix getting a set? i have seen Iplaytennislol and I think Kiyo and The Goomy use it on ladder (if you guys could post about if you think it's good enough for a set on the analyse, pls do) and do well with it.

Actually, I think the whole analyse needs to be updated a bit for the current metagame as the tier isn't really the same as it was back when you started this :(

I will check back when you do all this

Not QC but these are my two cents.
Protect and Rock Polish are at least OO worthy in my opinion. Protect is quite good on the defensive set with Sturdy to guarantee you will recover it after Stealth Rock damage and to scout against Pokemon such as Choice Band Sawk and Choice Specs Dragalge but mention that Steelix struggles to find a moveslot for it as all of its moves are really key.
Rock Polish is quite cool as a max investment Sheer Force Steelix can quite easily OHKO most offensive Pokemon with Ground, Dark, Steel coverage with a bit of entry hazards support and is capable of out speeding anything up to Rotom without a Choice Scarf which isn't too awful and I have seen some players having success with it.

Can confirm, have lost to special steelix. That being said, I'd call it more of a gimmick and less of a lure/sweeper. I'll add in the moves Galbia mentioned to OO, and update it with the current bans.
Also, I personally prefer Sheer Force Iron Head on my Steelix than Sturdy Gyro Ball; you have more PP, and its decently strong (like, ~100bp?). Having more PP is huge, especially when Steelix is usually the mon that checks CM Psychics on stall. Currently, SubCM Uxie can easily stall out Steelix out of Gyro Ball, which doesn't break the Substitute either, and win 1v1. Iron Head doesn't really break it 100% of the time unfortunately, but 24pp>8pp when it comes to beating SubCM Uxie. The rare Psyshock Giga Drain variant can still beat Steelix though iirc(?). Speaking of Uxie too, Heavy Slam is actually a good move against it as it breaks the Substitute without any attack investment and has 16pp.
I am really confused about the whole Iron Head deal. Iron head has 104 base damage with sheer force. Gyro ball needs them to have 243 speed or more to be that powerful. Looking at the speed tiers, Gyro ball is preferable most of the time. SubCM uxie is a very specific case. Furthermore, Heavy Slam has more PP and is still better than Iron Head, in that it will usually have more than base 104 power. It has 100 power against Tropius and anything lighter, and 120 against Kangaskhan and anything lighter. You can check individual pokemon weights yourself (They make no sense - Golduck is heavier than Miltank...), if you really want to, but I feel like Heavy Slam is more consistant if you want PP, and iron head is outclassed one way or the other.

Wall
########
move 2: Iron Head / Gyro Ball
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Roar
ability: Sheer Force / Sturdy
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD (if someone has a better SpDef spread, pls share)

Mention the 0 Speed IVs in Sets Details for when using Gyro Ball.

With Heavy Slam in AC if needed to handle SubCM Uxie even better and other important targets if they exist. I also like Protect on my Steelix sometimes for scouting when my teams doesn't need phazing, so maybe add it to AC too?

I also think that the LO Sheer Force set needs to be updated. Iron Head / Earthquake / Crunch / Stealth Rock, and I have seen people run some Speed on their LO Steelix, but I forgot what it was for lol (like 84 for Gurdurr I think?, but eh).
Well, if you're running crunch then why in the world does iron head vs. Uxie matter? I went with Rock Slide given its great coverage with Earthquake. I also think that running speed is completely uneeded, unless you're baton passing to Steelix or running rock polish. It would also be awesome if we came to some sort of consensus about the best EV spread, because it seems like everyone has a different idea of what is optimal (and it really does depend on what you're trying to beat). I'm currently using FLCL's spread. Also, I'm personally believe in running a nature which boosts your highest stat, so that 1.1* multiplier has the largest possible effect (unless you need to outspeed something specific or are going for a specific KO) - hence the relaxed nature. Increasing Defense by 56 is better than increasing SpD by 20.

Punchshroom

So Ima just list the Pokes each Steel move hits hardest against.

0 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (104 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 222-264 (72.5 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 254-302 (83 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Sheer Force Steelix Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 222-264 (72.5 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (146 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 207-244 (79 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 171-202 (65.2 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Sheer Force Steelix Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 148-175 (56.4 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (122 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mesprit: 109-130 (36 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mesprit: 109-129 (36 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Sheer Force Steelix Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mesprit: 94-112 (31.1 - 37%) -- 80.7% chance to 3HKO

-1 0 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (54 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 60-72 (15.6 - 18.7%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 0 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 132-156 (34.3 - 40.6%) -- 36.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 0 Atk Sheer Force Steelix Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 114-134 (29.6 - 34.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (132 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Uxie: 100-118 (28.2 - 33.3%) -- 90.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Uxie: 91-108 (25.7 - 30.5%) -- 0.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Sheer Force Steelix Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Uxie: 78-93 (22 - 26.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 201-237 (71.5 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 160-190 (56.9 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Sheer Force Steelix Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sceptile: 139-165 (49.4 - 58.7%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (131 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Vivillon: 213-252 (70.7 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. +1 Spe 0 HP / 0 Def Vivillon: 244-288 (81 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Vivillon: 195-231 (64.7 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Sheer Force Steelix Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Vivillon: 169-201 (56.1 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Lilligant: 144-169 (51 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Steelix Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. +1 Spe 4 HP / 0 Def Lilligant: 178-211 (63.1 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Lilligant: 144-169 (51 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Sheer Force Steelix Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Lilligant: 124-147 (43.9 - 52.1%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO
Gyro Ball: 8 PP
Heavy Slam: 16 PP
Iron Head: 24 PP

When the Steel move can outdamages Earthquake:
Gyro Ball - against invested neutral base 70s, maxes out at 150 BP
Heavy Slam - against foes 80 kg (176 lbs.) and below, maxes out at 120 BP, ties in power with Gyro Ball against neutral base 90s; only relevant damage advantage Heavy Slam has over Gyro Ball is against Granbull, otherwise Gyro Ball hits harder most of the time
Iron Head - all of the time, consistent 104 BP

The Steel move should only really be used when the target resists or is immune to Earthquake. Against most of the fast attackers that Steelix checks, Gyro Ball does the most damage to them. However, it can be observed that Heavy Slam is still very consistent against Gyro Ball targets, since it can still 2HKO all of the frailer targets as well as break Uxie's Substitute (unless they start running Defense EVs, in which case it is no longer guaranteed that Heavy Slam will break the Sub). Perhaps the most appealing trait about Heavy Slam is its greater PP compared to Gyro Ball, so Steelix is less pressured by PP issues (mainly against SubRoost Articuno :P), while still being a good option against Granbull, unlike Gyro Ball. Sheer Force Iron Head may be stronger than Earthquake all of the time against neutral opponents, but against its actual targets that EQ won't work against, Iron Head seems outperformed compared to the other Steel moves. LO Steelix can use Iron Head though since it can better make use of the power and not take LO recoil, or can make the power of Gyro Ball more worthwhile

Heavy Slam seems to offer the best mix between power and PP for the most consistency on defensive Steelix. I'd say to make Heavy Slam the main move, with Gyro Ball slashed afterward which can still be useful if Bull is not a problem and nailing the faster threats for greater damage is the bigger concern. Defensive Steelix shouldn't bother with Iron Head.

P.S. Your Steelix is still named Physical Wall, and your Overview would need to match the changes.

Last edited:
Just... Just use Gyro Ball. In issues a Pokemon who doesn't get hurt more by it is a very specific case and usually you can EQ them. Iron Head is nice for the no LO recoil, but it's a little lackluster and Heavy Slam is just... I hate Pokemon weight.
It's probably stupid but I would put AV in OO since it CAN work, it's just half assed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)