Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can someone compare the pros and cons of CM rain dance manaphy and crocune? I'm working on a stall team and I'd like to have a win condition, not just win by status stalling and such. Just curious why I should use one over the other for whatever reason.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can someone compare the pros and cons of CM rain dance manaphy and crocune? I'm working on a stall team and I'd like to have a win condition, not just win by status stalling and such. Just curious why I should use one over the other for whatever reason.
Suicune
- Bulkier: Manaphy's 100/100/100 defenses are great, it's just that 100/115/115 is a lot better. They let it avoid the 2hko from super effective hits at +1, while Manaphy somewhat struggles to take Thunderbolts.
- More reliable against sand: Suicune can function in sand, since its only problem with it is the chip damage. Suicune can use rest whenever it wants v. a sand team, while manaphy cannot, since it's deadweight if uses rest outside of rain.
- Not on a timer: Manaphy can only use rest up to four turns after using rain dance, while suicune can heal whenever it wants.

Manaphy
- More powerful: Suicune's Scald at +6 coming will hurt, but it can't break thinks like +6 manaphy's scald in the rain.
- Faster: Manaphy outspeeds Adamant bisharp, while suicune doesn't. Thanks to manaphy's lesser bulk, this is relatively important.
- No reliance on sleep talk: When asleep, Suciune has a 1/3 chance to use the move it wants. However, if manaphy uses rest in the rain, it heals itself from sleep on that turn, and thus doesn't rely on 1/3 chances.
- Status isn't as bothersome: suicune needs to rest to get rid of status, which isn't ideal in most scenarios. However, as long as manaphy is in rain, paralysis/burn/poison will never hurt you.

I probably missed some stuff, but that's all I can think of now. Suicune is the standard choice, but if you desire more power/speed, or if you hate sleep talk as much as i do, manaphy is also a great choice.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Suicune
- Bulkier: Manaphy's 100/100/100 defenses are great, it's just that 100/115/115 is a lot better. They let it avoid the 2hko from super effective hits at +1, while Manaphy somewhat struggles to take Thunderbolts.
- More reliable against sand: Suicune can function in sand, since its only problem with it is the chip damage. Suicune can use rest whenever it wants v. a sand team, while manaphy cannot, since it's deadweight if uses rest outside of rain.
- Not on a timer: Manaphy can only use rest up to four turns after using rain dance, while suicune can heal whenever it wants.

Manaphy
- More powerful: Suicune's Scald at +6 coming will hurt, but it can't break thinks like +6 manaphy's scald in the rain.
- Faster: Manaphy outspeeds Adamant bisharp, while suicune doesn't. Thanks to manaphy's lesser bulk, this is relatively important.
- No reliance on sleep talk: When asleep, Suciune has a 1/3 chance to use the move it wants. However, if manaphy uses rest in the rain, it heals itself from sleep on that turn, and thus doesn't rely on 1/3 chances.
- Status isn't as bothersome: suicune needs to rest to get rid of status, which isn't ideal in most scenarios. However, as long as manaphy is in rain, paralysis/burn/poison will never hurt you.

I probably missed some stuff, but that's all I can think of now. Suicune is the standard choice, but if you desire more power/speed, or if you hate sleep talk as much as i do, manaphy is also a great choice.
Thanks! Really appreciate the input ^_^

This is just a supposition, but what woud OU be like if Mewtwo was allowed in OU (without Mega Stones) for a week or two? Would it kill stall for good?
It would kill everything. With base 130 speed it Outspeeds almost the entire ou metagame. It hits 12 types super effectively, and the rest, with the exception of psychic is hit neutral with its STAB move. It would take over the meta, it's uncountedable and even uncheckable for almost every pokemon!

I looked around for a while trying to find the best place to say this but it seemed like this was the best place, I apologize in advance if it isn't. The Mega-Gengar analysis on the XY Strategy Pokédex falsely claims that it is able to learn Sludge Wave. However after looking around for quite a while I have realized it cannot learn it and there is no way for it to learn it, short of hacking.

I looked around for a while trying to find the best place to say this but it seemed like this was the best place, I apologize in advance if it isn't. The Mega-Gengar analysis on the XY Strategy Pokédex falsely claims that it is able to learn Sludge Wave. However after looking around for quite a while I have realized it cannot learn it and there is no way for it to learn it, short of hacking.
Gastly was learn able to learn Sludge Wave due to the B/W Dream World. Since it was taken iirc, I can see why you'd come to that conclusion, but it was, and still is, a viable and legal option for Gengar.

You can, from a dream world gastly n_n

Gastly was learn able to learn Sludge Wave due to the B/W Dream World. Since it was taken iirc, I can see why you'd come to that conclusion, but it was, and still is, a viable and legal option for Gengar.
Ok thank-you, I thought I was going crazy for the longest time.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
On the XY OU Viability Ranking Thread, what are blacklisted Pokemon and why are some Pokemon blacklisted?
• Florges is 99% outclassed by Clefable and Sylveon, so when people try to rank it, discussion gets terrible. Thus it's blacklisted.

• Donphan isn't outclassed by anything, but it's a very mediocre mon with no completely defined niche, and is thus unranked. For some reason people insisted on ranking it, so it was blacklisted to avoid terrible discussion.

• Heliolisk likewise isn't 100% outclassed, but it isn't worth ranking. Someone insisted on it being ranked, so it was blacklisted to prevent him + others from being dumb.

• Darmanitan is 99% outclassed by Charizard-X, Victini, and Entei, and yet the same dude insisted on it being ranked, so it was blacklisted to prevent him + others from being dumb.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Good checks&counters to Azumarill on a HO team?
Offensive mega venusaur serves as good glue for sponging up hits on HO, as well as stopping azumarill pretty well. Thundurus can greatly hinder azu with prankster t wave if it's necessary. Kyurem black can usually take an aqua jet and deal massive damage with fusion bolt, but can't switch in due to play rough.

Second Mega Venusaur. It's one of the few things that can take a hit from standard BD Azu, assuming it's not running something odd like Return. Ferrothorn is another one, but Superpower is a somewhat frequent option on some Azumarills. Physically defensive Tentacruel could be an option that also provides spin support. Tentacruel does have a somewhat rough time in OU, but it could work if you only need an Azu check and spin support.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Second Mega Venusaur. It's one of the few things that can take a hit from standard BD Azu, assuming it's not running something odd like Return. Ferrothorn is another one, but Superpower is a somewhat frequent option on some Azumarills. Physically defensive Tentacruel could be an option that also provides spin support. Tentacruel does have a somewhat rough time in OU, but it could work if you only need an Azu check and spin support.
Ferrothorn really doesn't belong on a hyper offense team IMO. It works best on stall, balance, or defensive teams. Yes, it hard counters belly drum azumarill, but not on that playstyle.

Ferrothorn really doesn't belong on a hyper offense team IMO. It works best on stall, balance, or defensive teams. Yes, it hard counters belly drum azumarill, but not on that playstyle.
Completely missed the HO part. Mega Venusaur doesn't really fit either. Most HO mons are too frail to take more then one hit from Azu, so you're probably left with a series of checks based on the set. Toxicroak could be a solid check. It has decent speed, can absorb every Aqua Jet and Waterfall, and has strong Poison STAB. Not many HO OU mons can reliably switch into Azu.

On the XY OU Viability Ranking Thread, what are blacklisted Pokemon and why are some Pokemon blacklisted?
alexwolf answered the near-same question a few pages back:
Every blacklisted Pokemon is there because besides of not being good enough to get a rank, its mention sparks shitty discussions constantly. The conclusion reached list is for Pokemon that have reached their ideal ranking decisively. Mantine got there because it made the thread lose focus, as a lot of people were asking why it was ranked and similar stuff, derailing the thread from more important discussion points. Once the metagame settles down, you can expect to see more Pokemon in this list.
Hyper Offense doesn't really check or counter things, and isn't supposed to most of the time. It's generally just "set up hazards, wallbreak/lure the things you need down, and sweep with your sweeper".
Although if you really want a azu check on an offensive team, rotom-w can check it, venu can usually check/counter it, thundy can hinder it with t-wave, ferro can wall it pretty well (it can set hazards for offensive, not too bad), and some more obscure things like the aforementioned toxicroak

Last edited:
Figure I'll drop this here before I go off and build a whole team around it, anyone here think Tyraniboah could be revived? Was thinking about using Mega TTar, to keep up with power creep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)