move 3: Bullet Punch
move 4: Fake Out/Ice Punch/Earthquake/Heavy Slam
ability: Thick Fat/Guts
item: Assault Vest
evs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

• Close Combat needs to be on every Hariyama. It's Hariyama's best STAB option, and it is a very reliable one as well. It may seem counter-productive to run Close Combat with Assault Vest, but the power and accuracy make it worth the drops.
  • Knock Off provides excellent synergy as Fighting/Dark have almost perfect coverage (baring fairies). Knock off also helps Hariyama support the team by removing the opponent's items.
  • Bullet Punch provides extremely useful priority, allowing Hariyama to pick off weakened opponents such as Cryogonal, Archeops, and anything else low on health. In addition, it's steel typing allows it to kill Slurpuff that may try to Rest from low health.
  • Fake Out is another form of priority that allows Hariyama to hit for multiple turns of priority. This is useful if your team struggles against weather, as it can waste turns that the rain/sun/sand is up.
  • Ice Punch is another coverage option that allows Hariyama to hit Vileplume and Sandslash harder.
  • Earthquake is strong, reliable coverage. Nails Dragalge switch ins. Hits stuff like Spiritomb and Vileplume for respectable damage.
  • Heavy Slam is a niche option that allows Hariyama to surprise Slurpuff and Granbull on the switch in. OHKOs offensive Slurpuff after rocks and 2HKOs Defensive Granbull after rocks.
Set Details
========
  • Max attack allows Hariyama to hit as hard as possible
  • Special Defense investment adds more bulk than HP investment (on the special side)
  • Thick Fat helps to switch into fire spam
  • Guts allows you to take on Spiritomb better
  • Close Combat and Knock off provide almost perfect coverage (Fairies)
Usage Tips
========
  • Bring in on fire types, and ice types as they can't really hurt it
  • This Pokemon should be used as a special tank
  • Don't let Fairies get a free switch in
  • Use as a way to disrupt weather turns

Team Options
========
  • A common defensive core is Hariyama, Probopass, Vileplume
  • Use alongside Pokemon that are weak to fire/ice (grass types)
  • Keep hazards off the field as it gets no recovery (Cryogonal/Sandslash)

Other Options
########
  • Hariyama can also run a Sheer Force set, but that set is mostly outclassed by the other fighting types in the tier (Sawk, Primeape)
  • Bulk-Up ChestoRest set can be run, but it is outclassed by Pokemon like Throh and Poliwrath that perform that role better.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairies** Fairies have a very fun time switching into Hariyama and punishing the opposing team with their STAB moves.
**Vileplume** Vileplume can take any attack Hariyama throws at it and can heal itself with Synthesis, while Hariyama gets no recovery. And it slowly whittles it down or puts it to sleep.
**Spiritomb**Can take any hit and burn it/pain split. (Unless guts)
**Dragalge** Can take any hit baring Earthquake, and can fire off an attack or lay a Toxic Spike.
**Bulky Flying types** Mantine, Pelipper, Altaria (non-ice punch) wall this monster.
**Offensive Flying Types** Brave Bird y/y?

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Steven, read this regarding speed creep on analysis.
[I can't help it if I'm a professional lurker and read threads from 4 years ago to know this]

So yea, fix :]

Also your formatting is kind of a mess, refer to this for formatting.

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
add either a choice band or flame orb guts set im pretty sure ras used the former to success

mention a defensive rest talk set in oo, it can fulfill defensive niches for some stall teams which are weak to fire-types

i would remove chesto rest bulk up, i'm pretty sure there's no reason to use that since it's better off suited for throh

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
you need to put spaces between text and slashes (like / this).

CB definitely deserves a set, it functions great on Sticky Web teams, and is still pretty good on other teams as well. Bullet Punch + bulk is its niche over CB Sawk

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with CB. It's not amazing, but it's definitely good enough for a set.

I'd also like Leftovers mentioned in Set Details for the AV set with a spread of 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpDef. Equal investment in Defenses is effectively just a more efficient version of 252 HP for Hariyama because its HP is already so high that it takes hits better when invested this way. Leftovers doesn't mind Knock Off as much, and some passive recovery, especially with Fake Out, is pretty nice.

I think SpDef might deserve its own set as well. It's only good on stall, but it offers unique resistances to Fire, Ice, Rock, and Dark as well as a phasing move. Set would be like Rest/Sleep Talk/Whirlwind/Force Palm. I don't think it gets any better Fighting STAB that doesn't lower stats. Maybe mention Vital Throw in moves (it's slow enough anyways that going last will rarely matter). If we decide against giving it a set, strong OO mention.

No comment on Status Orb set. Haven't used that since like early BW2 PO NU lol

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Status orb is still pretty decent for Hariyama, it limits survivability quite a bit though, especially in this spike filled meta. Dont know if there is anything in particular it helps nab the 2HKO/OHKO on, overall I find AV infinitely better, still deserves a mention in oo

Imo remove sheer force from oo, it retracts from hariyama's bulk and takes a role as a status absorber, but more importantly the only STABs that receive a boost are force palm and dynamic punch.

I wouldn't list poisons as "counters". Yes they resist fighting, but they dont necessarily "force" him out unless they hit physically like arbok or have recovery like vileplume. Eq has bad coverage in tandem with cc, so i dont think it deserves a mention. Also in c+c bulky psychics deserve a mention, as well as anything with psyshock.

For team options wish passers and bulky psychics make nice teammates, since he lacks recovery and they synergize well.

Also where's the rest talk whirlwind cross chop hariyama at bruh?

ah sorry ;-;. Is speed creeping allowed on analysis? if so i'd recommend 16 EVs on Hariyama to speed creep Vileplume and have a chance to 2HKO after the switch factoring in SR and sassured with on layer of Spikes+SR. Only useful if running Ice Punch of course! Of course then you have a 51% chance of getting afflicted by Sleep/Para/Or Poison..but that's an arguement for another day. i won't bother talking about Flame Orb/Toxic Orb Guts because that just eats into hariyama's survivability. After all its mainclaim to fame is checking fire spam

The Goomy, the quality of this skeleton still isnt quite up to what we're looking for. I know youre a good player and capable of fixing this, but when I read this analysis, I don't really learn much about Hariyama. Try to add information that can help people that don't really understand what Hariyama does, and mention the huge role it plays in the metagame. If you want more specific help, I can help and im sure Soulgazer can too

Heavy Slam is a niche option that allows Hariyama to surprise Slurpuff and Granbull on the switch in. OHKOs offensive Slurpuff after rocks and 2HKOs Defensive Granbull after rocks.
-1 252+ Atk Hariyama Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Granbull: 160-190 (41.6 - 49.4%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Maybe with some prior damage, but a 1/4 chance to break Granbull is a very unreliable 2HKO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)