Battle Maison Discussion & Records

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There's a post about twenty pages back that details the possible sets each trainer can run . . . . It's a great summary of the trainer list and IMO is worth putting in the OP.
Ask, and you shall receive. I've added a link to the trainer quick reference in the OP. Very glad it's proven useful! Also, I've updated the leaderboard through here. Let me know if you spot any errors or omissions that need fixing. Been some great discussion and streaks recently, so this thread has been a particular joy to read of late! Good show, all!

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
252 SpA Starmie Surf vs. 212 HP / 76 SpD Gliscor: 150-176 (84.7 - 99.4%)

I don't know how Gliscor could possibly survive that - but it does. And it means that once Ice Beam is stalled, Starmie will actually start using both Surf and Psychic, as neither is an OHKO! I just won a battle that was super lost after losing Greninja to the dumbest misplays (against a Psychic, no less) when 2nd Pokémon Starmie showed up. And it didn't use Surf after IB was stalled, allowing me to 2HKO it with Earthquake, and even if did use Surf it would've needed a crit or a flinch since I had max HP.

The SDef EVs sure worked out nicely, huh? This is probably the most legit Speed cut I've made of the countless negligible/pointless cuts I've done at this point.

Though the 2HKO needed some luck to happen as well, it seems:
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 63-75 (46.6 - 55.5%) -- 71.5% chance to 2HKO

Hello again. I have completed another streak, once again short of my expectations. The streak is 520 straight wins in Super Doubles.

The Team -

Zapdos @ Life Orb w/Pressure
Timid, +252 SPA, +252 SPD, +4 HP
-Thunderbolt
-Discharge
-Hidden Power Ice
-Protect

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf w/Rough Skin
Adamant, +252 ATK, +252 SPD, +4 HP
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Crunch

Talonflame @ Choice Band w/Gale Wings
Adamant, +252 HP, +252 ATK, +4 SPD
-Brave Bird
-U-Turn
-Flare Blitz
-Steel Wing

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite w/Scrappy
Adamant, +252 ATK, +252 SPD, +4 HP
-Fake-Out
-Crunch
-Return
-Brick Break (should be Drain Punch)

Disquake is the best strategy that everyone knows about that nobody uses. I’ve had a fun time using it on wifi. It took me a while to realize that it was my strongest strategy, even longer to realize that it would be good in Super Doubles. I’m always aware of that Blizzard that will ruin my day or the Wide Gaurd that shuts down spread moves, but once you know how to anticipate certain situations, it’s not too difficult to play around the bad match-ups.

There are several different opening attacks that mow down most of the Maison:

-Disquake is most commonly used and destroys many things. The combination of physical and special damage is very effective against mixed defenders.

-Thunderquake is necessary against things like Lapras and Slowbro who will otherwise survive a Disquake.

-Thunderclaw is necessary for Articuno (survives a T-bolt on it's own)

-Icequake is good against stuff like Golem and Rhyperior.

-Iceclaw is typically used against Latias/Latios

-Discrunch and Thundercrunch are ideal against Hex Girls who will bring in stuff like Mismagius and Gengar.

-Protectquake, Protectclaw or Protecthead is what I do against Blizzard. Let Garchomp get some damage in, then revenge kill with Talonflame or Kangaskhan off the bench. It’s pretty consistent.

*Garchomp is best off Adamant in this team. He’s outsped by Scarf Terrakion and Entei, but gets many more KOs as a result of being Adamant.

*The strategy is quite viable and deserves a place on the Battle Maison leader board...I just wish I could have gotten to the top, but I didn’t expect these kind of results from this team in Super Doubles. The matches are often less than 60 seconds; I can win twice as fast in doubles as triples.

Losing Battle - Super Doubles Battle 521 - 8ANW-WWWW-WWW9-AV6Z

- Zapdos gets fainted by a critical hit Thunderbolt from what I believe is a Specs Thundurus.
- Zapdos fainting allowed Articuno to Blizzard, KOing Garchomp..
- Talonflame and Kangaskhann do a great job taking me from a 2v4 to a 1v1.
- My Kangaskhan loses to Drain Punch Regirock because my Kangaskhan doesn't have Drain Punch.
- It really stinks to lose to in such a way..

Basically, I was defeated for not using an optimal version of my team. My HP Ice Zapdos has imperfect bulk and my Kangaskhan doesn’t have access to Drain Punch, but I use Brick Break because I need that 75 BP attack to KO Normal resists fast. Power-Up Punch might have been able to KO Regirock in 3 hits, but I hate Power-Up Punch and I don’t think it would be as useful as a 75 BP move. If only I had Drain Punch...

Nonetheless I was pretty lucky to get as far as I did. There were some lucky crits and flinches and parahax that went in my favor to get me into the 500s. I really wanted to go for that 1000 mark that eludes me 30,000 BP into my adventure, but alas, like Icarus before me, my 3IV wings were melted in the heat of the sunlight - er, the chill of the Blizzard…

The only thanks for this streak is No Cheese for making the thread. It has added several hundred hours to my gameplay experience, and for that I am grateful. I hope to be a top performer in Battle-whatever in the next pokemon game.

Bonus Streak - This is my last attempt at Super Triples. Lost at battle 538, almost 200 wins shy of my previous best. There was some confusion hax that cost me the game, but I let a Tornadus just run wild against my team, and I paid for it. TTFG-WWWW-WWW9-XM8H

Last edited:

turskain

Yoshi1777, very nice! Better IVs on Zapdos wouldn't have saved it from a Specs Thundurus crit:

252 SpA Choice Specs Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos on a critical hit: 184-217 (111.5 - 131.5%)

I'm curious about running Adamant Kangaskhan - usually Jolly max speed would be preferable in Doubles/Triples/Rotations, especially since you aren't running Sucker Punch to circumvent the lower speed of Adamant. With an all-out aggressive Protect-free back-line, Double-Edge over Return could also be a consideration, since CB Talonflame/Megakhan seems very much like a "kill or be killed" combination, and Talonflame should be the one drawing fire with its un-defenses, so MegaKhan maybe wouldn't mind being a little less survivable.

Thank you. That's reassuring about the critical hit.

I used an 3IV Jolly Kangaskhan in Super Triples but recently bred an Adamant one with 5 relevant IVs, so I've been using that. I should probably have taken the time to breed a perfect Jolly, but I like my good Pokemon to stay at level 50, so I'm afraid to stick mine in the daycare, ha.

I've never used Double-Edge on a Kangaskhan, but I suspect it is a good idea. The only problem with that is I also tend to switch in Kangaskhan a lot both for the Fake-Outs and to reset Garchomp's scarf (Garchomp is very good Scarfed, I'd be afraid to use non-Scarfchomps). I use Kangaskhan's bulk to it's fullest advantage, so I could see Double-Edge locking me into a loss, given my playstyle.

Now that you mention kill or be killed, I suppose I forgot to mention that my Talonflame is a liability with no speed investment. I like HP trained Talonflame, but it's bad against Talonflame and pretty terrible against wifi Kangaskhan if they know they can Sucker Punch it. I just like surviving for three Brave Birds if I must. I'm really trying my hardest to avoid killing myself.

Kangaskhan and Talonflame should both be faster than they are, but for whatever reason I make do with the ones I have. I've fallen into that 'friendship with your pokemon' thing I guess. Either that or I'm the laziest breeder who actually breeds for stats.

NoCheese

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The only thanks for this streak is No Cheese for making the thread. It has added several hundred hours to my gameplay experience, and for that I am grateful. I hope to be a top performer in Battle-whatever in the next pokemon game.
Thanks for the kind words, and glad that this thread's brought you some joy. I know the Tower/Subway/Maison threads have added a ton to my in-game experiences too! Note, however, that Eppie was the original curator of this thread, and I just took over at the end of June, so he probably deserves the most credit. And it was Peterko who really started organizing and maintaining Tower and Subway threads, which set the standard in how future battle facility threads should be run, so he deserves a ton of thanks from all of us as well!

Nice streak, too. One question: did you give any thought to Thundurus over Zapdos? Likely moot in many battles, and you lose a little bulk, but for a kill-or-be-killed squad, there is something to be said for the improved Speed and Special Attack.

turskain

Hello again. I have completed another streak, once again short of my expectations.
1000 in Doubles is a rather big goal (I'm not aware of any 4-digit Doubles streaks in Battle facility history, the highest being R Inanimate's 919-win Subway Doubles streak). 500 is already very good for Doubles; I'd say a 500-win streak in Doubles is roughly on the same level as a 1000-win streak in Triples, and the leaderboards support that - 520 got you #4 on Doubles, and 1000 in Triples would get you a similar ranking on the Triples leaderboard.

Don't underestimate your accomplishments - fourth place on the Doubles leaderboard with 500+ already makes you a top performer, and 751 in Triples, while short of 1000, is still really good, especially with a non-Mat Block Greninja lead. If we count Mat Block Greninja leads separately, your team is the second strongest non-Greninja team on the leaderboard, behind only Mercury - and that's amazing. (Well, you do have Mat Block Greninja as a back-up, but that's quite different from the usual lead Greninja fare.)

If you're hitting a ceiling in a mode (which your Triples runs sound like to me), changing your team or trying something else entirely may help, even if it might be worse than what you were using before. At least personally, I haven't gotten much done by grinding streaks repeatedly with the same team while getting numb in the brain over the repetitiveness; I've found that playing something different for a change can give you the ideas/changes you didn't know you needed on your previous team. It's easy to get tunnel-visioned into a particular mindset when grinding the same team for 1000 battles, and some variety helps break that.

Everyone gets down when losing and I'm very much guilty as charged there (as you can see from my streak posts), but at the end of the day, losing your streak is part of the Maison game and a run on the leaderboards is proof that it was a good show, even if it didn't make top 3 or meet every goal. Even my Heliolisk run was pretty decent in retrospect, even though I slammed it rather hard because it undercut my goal of 1000+ by a lot and "underperformed" for the potential that Greninja/Charizard has.

I have a question to pose to anyone that cares to answer it. Hypothetical for you, however a conundrum that had painful results for yours truly.

You have begun a turn of a Triples match against a male Ace Trainer in which one of your opponents is a Walrein4, considered a major threat under most circumstances. Walrein is partnered with a Pokemon that can and will easily OHKO one of your own during its turn; however, this target is the only unit you've got that can OHKO Walrein. This unit is fairly important in general.

If you choose to withdraw this unit to spare it, Walrein's other partner still poses a considerable (but less immediate) threat. This also means Walrein is guaranteed to take its turn and can still kill another of your pokemon. It's too early in the battle to treat a unit as expendable, but gambling with Walrein4 is never good.

Do you lay waste to Walrein and lose your valuable unit, or do you roll the dice and hope that the OHKOs miss until you can find a more favorable setup? Keep in mind that this enemy setup is from turn 1- you have no idea who is on standby, and Ace Trainers draw from an extremely diverse pool.

I was faced with such a situation yesterday, and while I considered my decision to off Walrein4 immediately to be a misplay because of what followed, the opponent's enemy placement and backup was just very, very unfortunate.

Before I bother explaining what happened, though, I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts.

Edit: and just like that, it fucking hits me that I could have used the Shift command which would have gone before the opponent could kill my Walrein answer. This would have not only spared it, but the way the turn played out would have also gotten my shifted poke a Flash Fire boost and it'd have been completely safe from damage. I didn't even have to do a mock battle to realise this.

Granted, the backup pokes were still some of the worst possible matchups, but I feel like such an idiot right now. I don't even want to share the teams or replay >______>

NoCheese

Well, I should never have mentioned I was getting close to 1000. Jinxing things (or in reality, simple terrible play) led to my super triples demise after a streak of 962 wins. So close to four digits….

While I've discussed the squad briefly here, hopefully this writeup will provide more detailed info for interested players.

Here's the team:

Greninja @_Focus Sash
Trait: Protean
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Att)

-Mat Block
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot

Stats: 148/103/87/155/87/191
IVs: 31/X/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4/0/0/252/0/252

Blastoise @_Blastoisinite
Trait: Torrent -> Mega Launcher
Nature: Modest (+Spa, -Att)

-Water Spout
-Aura Sphere
-Ice Beam
-Protect

Stats: 155/86/120/150/125/130 (before mega evolution)
155/104/140/205/135/130 (after mega evolution)
IVs: 31/X/31/1/31/31
EVs: 4/0/0/252/0/252

Talonflame @_Sharp Beak
Trait: Gale Wings
Nature: Adamant (+Att, -Spa)

-Tailwind
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Protect

Stats: 185/146/91/80/89/147
IVs: 31/31/31/X/31/31
EVs: 252/252/0/0/0/4

Sylveon @_Choice Specs
Trait: Pixilate
Nature: Modest (+Spa, -Att)

-Hyper Voice
-Psyshock (not used)
-Shadow Ball (not used)
-Baton Pass (not used)

Stats: 172/76/85/178/150/111
IVs: 31/31/31/1/31/31
EVs: 12/0/0/252/0/244

Mienshao @_Air Balloon
Trait: Regenerator
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Spa)

-Fake Out
-Low Kick
-Knock Off
-Wide Guard

Stats: 141/177/80/103/80/172
IVs: 31/31/31/1/31/31
EVs: 4/252/0/0/0/252

Garchomp @_Life Orb
Trait: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Spa)
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance
-Protect

Stats: 184/182/115/90/105/169
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4/252/0/0/0/252

The Greninja / X / Talonflame core is a staple of triples maison play, and for good reason, as a huge fraction of the time, you are able to buy your team a free Tailwind, and hopefully sweep the opponent's lead three Pokemon in the first two turns with two attacks from your central Pokemon and one from each of Greninja and Talonflame. Following in Eppie and SimicCombine's footsteps, after much discussion, I ended up settling on Mega Blastoise as my central nuke.

Blastoise has a few nice advantages. First, Modest Blastoise with 252 Speed EVs just barely outruns the entire post battle 40 maison under Tailwind, reducing the number of special cases you have to keep in mind. Slightly slower sweepers can be outrun by select Choice Scarf Pokemon, and while not normally a big deal, this still plays in Blastoise's favor. Blastoise also has wonderful bulk, even without investment, often letting it tank a few hits, though its mainstay of Water Spout can become worthless when Blastoise's health gets to low. Additionally, Blastoise does decently well against many seeming counters. For example, against a team of Grass-type foes, Blastoise has Ice Beam access while Talonflame can fire off priority Brave Birds, and against Water-types, Blastoise has Mega Launcher boosted Aura Sphere (not ideal, but often good enough) while Greninja has STAB Grass Knot. Protect is key on a small subset of first turns against frail but fast sleep or paralysis inducers, and also lets a low-HP Blastoise turn into a beautiful lure later in the battle. There's an argument to be made in favor of Dark Pulse, as it gets the Mega Launcher boost and helps against Trick Room teams with their loads of Psychic- and Ghost- types and the likelihood that Blastoise will get beaten up before it gets to Water Spout, but I've found Ice Beam useful enough against Dragon- and Grass- types to keep it around.

Greninja's set is standard, and it does a fine job of setting Mat Block and then attacking until either it or the opposition is KOed. Talonflame likewise has a standard set, but I use the bulky max HP spread rather than the more traditional max Speed one. With Gale Wings, three of your moves have priority, and the fourth usually only gets used against slowish Steel-types that Talonflame outruns without investment, so seems a shame to waste EVs on Speed. Though reducing bulk does have the advantage of making Talonflame a better lure, and so protecting Blastoise's HP and Water Spout power, I still feel that this isn't worth it. First of all, Greninja and Talonflame are strong lures already, and most of the time, the dangerous faster-than-Mat-Block Electric-types open with an attack on Greninja or Talonflame anyway. Secondly, Talonflame really likes to brawl, and takes a ton of recoil damage. It ends up surviving a lot of attacks at less than 31 HP, the amount it gains from a Max HP spread. What this means is that the extra HP really do come into play a bunch, which is particularly important when facing things like Trick Room teams where the battle is made substantially easier the more priority Brave Birds I am able to fire off. Finally, because I have a powerful backup central sweeper, I'm much more willing to risk Blastoise's health. If something bad does happen to Blastoise, my main strategy still works fine, as Sylveon can come in and start sweeping. Very few foes can handle an onslaught of Water Spouts followed by Specs Pixilate Hyper Voices, so it's much less valuable to weaken Talonflame just to try to deflect attention from Blastoise. Note that Talonflame is on the right since it usually is the first of my pokes to faint, so that's often the spot in which Sylveon will enter the battle. Since the AI always fills the right spot first when it has more spots to fill than remaining Pokemon, this helps ensure that Sylveon will be well positioned for finishing off its foes.

Sylveon is an amazing central sweeper in its own right (a very casually built Sylveon team previously took me to over 400 wins), and I originally planned this team to pair Sylveon with Mega Gardevoir. But helpful discussion with SimicCombine, Eppie, and turskain convinced me that a teaming up with Blastoise would be even better, and that as teammates, it makes more sense to use Blastoise as the lead. Here, Sylveon does two things. First, in the event Blastoise gets quickly KOed (rare, but it does happen on occasion), Sylveon can step in and do the same job, firing off Hyper Voices that are almost as powerful as full-strength Water Spouts. Better still, Sylveon is pretty bulky, letting it tank some hits, and Hyper Voice does not lose power as Sylveon takes damage, so even at 1 HP, Sylveon is still able to smash through foes. This sweeper redundancy really increases the reliability of the team. Most of the time, though, Blastoise is not the first Pokemon on my team to get KOed, but Sylveon remains my go-to first substitute, normally coming in on the right side for a knocked out Talonflame. Though this leaves the foe on the far left safe from Hyper Voice, that's usually not a problem, as even bulky resistant Pokemon have extreme trouble tanking Water Spout + Hyper Voice, and once the far left foe is isolated, it's easy to mop up. Also remember that against an isolated far left foe, Sylveon can shift to the middle to move into range, while Blastoise will still be able to reach it after the shift with Aura Sphere. I never used a move other than Hyper Voice for the entire streak, but wouldn't have lost had I changed that up in the final battle. Shows the danger of a good heuristic in the rare situation where it breaks down. Autopilot kills.

As the whole team was built around pairing Mega Blastoise and Sylveon with Mat Block + Tailwind support from Greninja and Talonflame, the last two slots were up in the air for a long time. I originally went with Aron and Heatran, which did decently, but left me dangerously low on physical attackers, and vulnerable against things Aron couldn't effectively hurt, like Ghost-types. Though my final two Pokemon don't need to come in very often, when they do, it's important that they can handle a lot of threats, and I worried that Aron and Heatran were generically good but not the best fit for this team. While I used them for the first 321 battles of this streak, I felt sure I could do better.

SimicCombine and Eppie both strongly recommended Garchomp, who complements the Electric-type weakness of the three leads (not normally a big issue), provides a powerful physical attacker (important), and can sometimes even play the role of a third spread-sweeper with potent STAB Earthquakes (somewhat important). Unfortunately, however, Garchomp's Earthquakes can be hard to synergize with a team full of grounded teammates. Since I wasn't going to give up on Sylveon, I was stumped for a while on a good solution. Finally, I found one that hasn't really gotten much Maison use at all. Mienshao. Mienshao learns Wide Guard, letting it protect its teammates while Garchomp Earthquakes. It also shuts down all the Blizzards that foes love to aim at Garchomp. Better still, Mienshao can Fake Out. With multiple powerful spread sweepers, sometimes, just buying an extra turn for them can win the battle on its own, and Fake Out is ideal for that. Sadly, High Jump Kick's accuracy makes for an unreliable attack, but Low Kick makes a decent substitute. I thought about Razor Fang + Fling as a way to double up on flinch turns, but decided I'd rather be able to survive Earthquakes while Faking Out, so went with Air Balloon instead, and used the Fling movespot for Knock Off, which lets me hit the Ghost- and Psychic-types who would otherwise laugh at Mienshao's attacks. Even without Garchomp in play, Mienshao supports its teammates wonderfully, so I almost always send out Mienshao before I send out Chomp, unless of course two slots open simultaneously. Mienshao's biggest weakness is that it is extremely frail, so many foes can OHKO him. It's possible that I should switch to a Hasty or Naive nature and run a mixed set of Fake Out / Aura Sphere / Knock Off / Wide Guard, since the perfect accuracy and cross-field strike ability of Aura Sphere are really valuable, but for the moment, I'm worried enough about the loss of attacking power that I'm sticking with the Jolly spread.

Because Garchomp is normally my last Pokemon out, he gets by far the least use on my team, but does a good job tying everything together. Sometimes, though, when multiple foes fear Earthquake, I'll bring him in early on one of the sides instead of Sylveon, as Blastoise can Protect while Garchomp quakes. Chomp's Earthquakes and Dragon Claws offer tons of power and wonderful STAB coverage, and thanks to his 4x Ice-type weakness, he sometimes can use Protect to play the lure role. I originally ran Lum Berry, but realized that late in battle, when Garchomp normally comes out, foes don't normally try to status him, so I'm better off with another item. I went with turskain's suggestion of Life Orb for maximum attacking power, but I'm still torn as to whether I should run Yache Berry instead.

Play and Threats:

Most of the time, battles are extremely smooth. Mat Block + Tailwind + Water Spout on the first turn, and Water Spout + two attacks on the second hopefully sweep all of the foe's three leads, and from a six to three advantage, it's normally trivial to wrap up the battle. While rare, I sometimes even get to live the dream and win battles in two turns total, which always brings a grin. I normally bring in Sylveon after my first faint, then Mienshao, and lastly Garchomp, though occasionally the order will change based on specific foe weaknesses or immunities. For the most part, the team is extremely easy to play.

Powerful attackers that can attack me before Mat Block goes up are worrisome, but not normally a huge problem. Many of these powerful attackers are Electric-types, and since my entire front line is Electric-weak, and Blastoise is far bulkier than Talonflame or Greninja, normally my wingers draw these attacks, leaving Blastoise healthy for its Water Spout. Greninja will survive thanks to its Sash, so it can still Mat Block the other first turn attacks, while Talonflame gets priority on Tailwind, so even if it is KOed on the first turn, barring oddities like Fake Out + Thunder, it will still have done its most important job. Even in the rare situations where Blastoise does eat a big Thunder, Sylveon is waiting in the wings to step in and fill the sweeper role nicely.

Quick Claw Pokemon are much more of a threat, since they are bulky enough to survive a first turn Water Spout, meaning they have the potential to attack before me on both the first and second rounds of the battle. Leafeon4's Quick Claw Leaf Blade won't KO Blastoise, but it will substantially neuter Water Spout, forcing Blastoise to rely on its single target attacks or play the role of a Protect lure until it is KOed. Even worse is Muk4, since it can and will use Explosion on the very first turn of battle. Though Tailwind will still go first, Muk's Quick Claw Explosion can devastate my entire front row, leaving me substantially weakened for the rest of the battle. Donphan4 isn't as evil as it is in singles, but the threat of Quick Claw Fissure is real (even though it usually prefers to Seed Bomb Blastoise or Stone Edge Talonflame). Urasring is the least irritating to face, but is still not a favorite. Though I'm often stuck just hoping Quick Claw doesn't activate on the first turn of battle, on the second turn it is almost always correct to Brave Bird a low Quick Claw foe, since the priority means you'll outspeed (and KO) them even if Quick Claw activates. Custap Berry users (particularly with Explosion like Skuntank4) should similarly be treated to a second round Brave Bird if they are low enough that the berry will trigger.

First turn status moves on Blastoise can also be problematic. Burns obviously don't bother it, but sleep, confusion, and paralysis can all cause big trouble, particularly if they land before Blastoise is able to use its first turn Water Spout. Against possible confusion, it's typically best to play the first turn as normal and just switch out Blastoise for Sylveon on the second turn if Blastoise gets confused, but against a predicted Thunder Wave or Hypnosis, it's often correct for Blastoise to Protect on the first turn. You lose your first turn Water Spout, which can hinder the ability to cleanly sweep the foe's front three on the second turn, but in exchange, you pretty much guarantee you'll get to act before any status moves on the second turn, and can often use Greninja and Talonflame's attacks to help ensure that the status-using foe, if perhaps not its teammates, will be KOed before it gets to act. When it's unclear whether a status move will be used or which of your Pokemon will be targeted, run the usual worst-case scenario analysis. Do I lose more from passing on first turn Water Spout and Protecting, or would I lose more from having Blastoise put to sleep? The answer to this of course depends heavily on the set of foes you are facing.

Obviously, Wide Guard can be frustrating for a team built around spread attacks, but normally, you can play around it. Firstly, there aren't many Pokemon with the move. Of the foes you face after battle 40, only Bastiodon4, Mienshao4, and Regigigas4 carry Wide Guard. Secondly, these foes are pretty erratic in their use of the move, meaning you can often get away with attacking with Water Spout anyway. It's completely anecdotal, but it seems to me that the AI is much more likely to use Wide Guard on the second turn of battle than the first, so one can often safely slip in a first turn spread attack. More importantly, however, is that your Pokemon cover the three Wide Guard users pretty well. Bastiodon hates Aura Sphere, and Mienshao is easily OHKOed by Brave Bird. Regigigas is bulky and can sometimes cause further trouble with Confuse Ray, but STAB Grass Knot hits its massive weight hard, while Aura Sphere hits its weakness, so it's not too bad either. As always for toss up situations, I try to worst case scenario analyze things when deciding whether to open with a spread attack into a possible Wide Guard or instead use single target attacks until the Wide Guarder is KOed. Note that if you choose to use single target attacks on the opening turn, you usually have to on the second turn too, since if you set up Tailwind and Mat Block, all you have to KO with on the first turn are Blastoise's Ice Beam and Aura Sphere, which can only OHKO non-Sturdy Bastiodon. Later in the battle, if Sylveon is in, Wide Guard is even more annoying since Sylveon normally locks into Hyper Voice which can be walled indefinitely, and Bastiodon4 can even be Soundproof, making it completely immune. When Sylveon is in play, its teammates really need to focus everything on KOing Bastiodon immediately.

One might think that Pokemon with Water Absorb and similar abilities would be big threats for a team looking to fire off massive Water Spouts, but for the most part, they are not a problem. First, many of them are covered easily by Greninja and Talonflame. For example, lots of these Pokemon are bulky Water-types, or even more happily, Water / Ground-types, making them very vulnerable to Grass Knot. Dry Skin Toxicroak is easily dispatched by Brave Bird. Cradily is weak to both Ice Beam and Aura Sphere. Finally, those that aren't easy pickings for other attacks can normally be ignored for a turn or two until the foes have been thinned out a bit. Cradily is not much of a threat to anything, and Vaporeon really doesn't hit this team too hard. Sure, it can KO Talonflame, but then it just gets beat on by Sylveon for the remainder of the battle. Obviously, when I'm facing multiple possible Water Absorbers, a first turn Water Spout is usually a bad idea. In such a situations, an opening switch to Sylveon will sometimes guarantee an easy second turn KO of the foe's lead three, while other times, I can just count on two turns of Aura Sphere / Ice Beam plus Talonflame and Greninja's second turn attacks to get the job done. I also love to switch to Sylveon when I expect a lead Fake Out, particularly from something heavily water resistant like Ludicolo. So long as I don't autopilot too badly, Water Absorb isn't hard to play around.

Trick Room can be quite threatening, since I'm a little thin on priority attacks with this team. Against a full squad of slow trick roomers, like teams used by Hex Maniac Mara, it's very important to take full advantage of my first turn attacks before Trick Room is up. Tailwind in particular is counterproductive, so Talonflame absolutely needs to attack, and because many Trick Roomers tend to use first turn set up moves (including Trick Room itself) rather than attacks, it's usually right for Greninja to attack too. It's pretty hard to KO three bulky trick roomers at once, so Mara is usually able to get Trick Room active, but if I can gain a six to four advantage after the first turn, even under Trick Room, I'm well positioned. Even if I can only KO one, sometimes both of the surviving foes will use Trick Room, resulting in one setting it up and one taking it down, which of course turns potentially tough battles into jokes. Once Trick Room is up, Talonflame becomes hugely valuable, because the priority on Brave Bird lets it pick off weakened foes before they can act. Fake Out from Mienshao is likewise very helpful. Otherwise, proper play becomes much more reliant on prediction and stall. While it's not always smart to try to stall out all five turns of Trick Room, by taking advantage of the AI's tendancy to go for KOs, it's often possible to have my lowest health Pokemon Protect, lure a ton of attacks, and have its teammates attack unimpeded. Play against Trick Room is often hardest against a "mixed" foe, where one Pokemon is a slow Trick Room user while its teammates are more normal-Speed Pokemon. I usually play aggressively to stop the Trick Room, since with a Tailwind blowing, even "normal" foes are going to go before me under Trick Room conditions, but choosing to have Talonflame and/or Greninja attacking the first turn rather than using their standard Mat Block + Tailwind can leave me more vulnerable later in the battle against a mixed team. Accordingly, if I do have to attack with Talonflame against such a foe to prevent a Trick Room, I'll almost always Tailwind on the second turn, unless all of the foes can still be outrun naturally. Against a typical opponent, things go much, much more smoothly with Tailwind up, so I'd much rather use the move late than never. But like all decisions, this is situation dependent, and the late Tailwind play can sometimes be a wasteful mistake, as it was on my final battle.

Most battles with this team are pretty straightforward, with simple decision trees. Thus, I don't have a lot of fancy strategic advice to give. That said, there are a few general points to keep in mind. First, remember that you don't always need to pound away with Water Spout. Your big goal is to wipe out as many of your first three foes as possible in the first two turns, and sometimes, that's easy to do by just attacking away with single target moves. This is particularly true against Grass-type foes, where all three of your leads can hit them super effectively with single target moves. I'm easily in the double digits on battles won where I never used a spread move at all. Second, remember the "Shift" command. It's not super common, but there are times you want to set up Garchomp out of reach of a foe and then shift him into range, or move Sylveon into range of something on the far left, and Shift lets you do this. Shift plays especially well with center Blastoise, because even shifted to an edge, Blastoise can still reach the far side of the field with Aura Sphere. Third, and this should go for all battle Maison battles, stay alert. Things can be going wonderfully well, and then you can forget an ability or move your foe carries and suddenly find yourself in a deep hole. As this team plays through battles quickly, it's easy to "get in the zone" and play through a ton of battles in a row while only half paying attention. This is a clear recipe for eventual disaster, and indeed, led to my loss here.

How I Lost:

I lost to Hex Maniac Anastasia, with a lead threesome of Metagross / Slowking / Musharna and Froslass / Mr. Mime / Slowbro in reserve. This was a classic "mixed" Trick Room team, so clearly threatening, but everything seemed to be going fine early, since I had all of my Pokemon alive (though low from a Metagross3 Explosion) while Anastasia lost her full lead threesome. But then the wheels came off, and dual screen Mr. Mime3 wrecked me. Well, actually, my poor play did, but it was poor play regarding Mr. Mime in particular. I'd have been fine, but first, midway through the battle I needlessly used Tailwind rather than just Brave Bird away. Then I completely forgot that Mr. Mime could have Soundproof, and so wrongly sent out Sylveon instead of Mienshao. Worse, I could still have come out okay had I recognized this risk immediately after the misdeployment and chosen to lock into an unexciting but functional Shadow Ball (the first time I would have used the move) but I stuck with my autopilot play, merrily used Hyper Voice expecting the KO, and swore loudly when the Soundproof immunity flashed on the screen. To really rub things in, I still very nearly stole the win, coming within a few slivers of health on Mr. Mime of getting there despite my foolishness. BAH!

Lesson: Autopilot ends streaks. It's so obvious, and yet I almost always forget it at some point. Really, I should etch it onto my 3DS or some such….

Embarrassing Loss Video:
D4BW-WWWW-WWW9-A34H

Last edited:

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Forgive me if I'm reading it wrong but you talk about Greninja's STAB Grass Knot, but you don't actually have Grass Knot listed in its moveset.

Cool streak though. I'm been following your posts on this team and I particularly like the use of Mienshao. I am curious as to whether Regenerator is the right ability for it in this case though since I can't imagine it would come into play much. Not that the alternatives are much better - Inner Focus is probably just as situational and Reckless is useless on your moveset.

NoCheese

Forgive me if I'm reading it wrong but you talk about Greninja's STAB Grass Knot, but you don't actually have Grass Knot listed in its moveset.

Cool streak though. I'm been following your posts on this team and I particularly like the use of Mienshao. I am curious as to whether Regenerator is the right ability for it in this case though since I can't imagine it would come into play much. Not that the alternatives are much better - Inner Focus is probably just as situational and Reckless is useless on your moveset.
Whoops! I guess I pasted my Greninja set for my previous Triples streak into my writeup, and forgot to update the last move. That's been fixed. Extrasensory has been properly replaced by Grass Knot.

As to Mienshao, I thought about Inner Focus, but haven't really ever had flinch difficulties with it. I stuck with Regenerator thinking it might sometimes prove relevant against Blissey4, since if you end up missing a lot you may have to switch around a bunch to reset the Toxic counter, and in such a situation recovery from Toxic damage would be helpful, but the need has never come up. On balance, Inner Focus is probably still correct, but it's such a corner case ability that I never bothered to change it.

NoCheese

Awesome streak, NoCheese! I noticed something though:

I assume you are talking about Sylveon here, because you mention locking the pokemon into a move, so I think you mean Shadow Ball instead of Dark Pulse?
Gah, sloppy all over, but yes, I meant Shadow Ball. Comes of trying to put together a long post too quickly. Fixed.

turskain

I lost the streak at battle 405 to some huge misplays, but there were also problems with the team that I'd been somewhat lucky to avoid losing to. Namely:
  1. Fire-types were a much smaller threat than I thought, and Greninja was frequently unnecessary for dealing with them - instead, Greninja's role in a lot of battles became providing a safe switch-in for Gliscor by absorbing Will-O-Wisp or a burn-inflicting Fire attack so Gliscor can get in, or killing the offender outright for things like Entei/Chandelure. Against Weezing and Spiritomb, needing Greninja to take a status in order to get Gliscor in safely was not very good. Additionally, Greninja kind of sucks as a general status absorber; while it is acceptable freeze bait due to having Scald and being expendable-ish, other statuses, especially when inflicted as a secondary effect, make it dead extremely fast in combination with LO damage or cripple it in case of paralysis.
  2. Snorlax - while I was lucky enough to not get paralyzed by Body Slam or run into Thick Fat, it is inevitable, and losing Cloyster like that would be really bad (there are very few lead match-ups for the team where Cloyster actually risks dying without getting anything done - Snorlax is probably the worst of the bunch).
  3. Greninja's bulk - Greninja can only switch in on a resisted hit, which makes its ability to switch in on things really bad. Usually that wouldn't be a problem (like with Dragonite/Greninja/Aegislash), but as Cloyster is already not able to switch in, the weight placed on Gliscor is really high. Gliscor is massively powerful, and demonstrated well that it could do just fine even without any switch options most of the time; howewer, there were a lot of calls that got a little too close, made worse by Greninja's tendency to die a lot when being called on in case of a crit or a burn proc.
  4. Greninja's ability to kill Waters - this is what I drafted Greninja for, and even here it didn't deliver as well as I'd hoped. Greninja loses to Vaporeon outright due to Grass Knot's low base power, has trouble with Ludicolo (which I lost battle 405 to due to misplays), Samurott (which may use Grass Knot on Cloyster and nail Greninja, necessicating a risky Gliscor switch-in - risky because random Hydro Pumps are not uncommon on Cloyster because of its awful Special bulk, though Samurott specifically might not do it since Grass Knot is a certain KO. But the general risk of switching in Cloyster in on Water-types because Greninja sometimes can't do it remains), and Suicune3 (which may use Protect to counter-play the Protean type switches that usually make beating it possible).
All my complaints were with Greninja - Cloyster/Gliscor performed exceptionally in general and had fantastic synergy and sweeping power. Consequently, Greninja is going to be on the chopping block - something like Suicune is the likely replacement to better fit the position it ended up serving. To that end, I theorymon'd for a while, and while Suicune could do it, I didn't really want a third set-up sweeper, and while Suicune could set up on a lot of things, it has a harder time providing a safe switch-in for Gliscor, which is what I really wanted from this position. It also can't really take Draco Meteors all day long, which I also somewhat wanted to give better odds against Lati@s, which could be troublesome without a faster Greninja to OHKO them.

I theorymon'd another Water-type starter, Empoleon, for the position:

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Def
-Scald
-Icy Wind
-Yawn
-Rest

Yawn and secondary Steel-typing are what Empoleon has over Suicune in this position. Yawn in particular can provide a safe switch-in for Gliscor and Cloyster against nearly anything, which I wanted more from it than actual killing power (which it doesn't have at all). Steel-typing gives it a ton of resistances that let it switch in on nearly anything aimed at Gliscor and ensures that Electric/Ground/Fighting attacks will be used on it, which allows Gliscor to switch in for free using its immunities to two of those types and resistance to the third. Yawn + Icy Wind together allow a threat that outspeeds Gliscor to be put to sleep to allow a safe switch-in while also dropping its Speed to allow Gliscor to outspeed it once it's in. Rest lets it absorb status all day long, and not fear Body Slam paralysis too much.

On the downside, its typing makes it neutral to Fire attacks, which is bad. Howewer, with its Special bulk, it can easily tank two of most Special Fire-type attacks anyway and use Yawn to get Gliscor in on the action safely - and most Flare Blitz users don't actually threaten Cloyster and enable Smashing safely, as they will instead use Superpower/Close Combat. Rapidash and Talonflame (not really a Flare Blitz threat) are the only Flare Blitz users in the Maison that don't have a Fighting-type move they prefer over Flare Blitz.

Now for the non-Empoleon exclusive feats that Suicune could also do:
  1. Beat Starmie by switching in on IB and then switching Gliscor in on TB, then repeating until IB and Surf are both stalled; Empoleon can do this better due to its 4x resistance to Ice and Psychic resistance, but both of them should be able to do it well enough - Suicune might want a a more SDef-focused spread than the usual Bold 113-speed one, which should be viable with Gliscor already providing physical bulk and stall.
  2. Beat Vaporeon
  3. Beat Suicune - Empoleon can't damage it and will eventually fall to +6 attacks; howewer, it can Yawn it (double Yawn for the ChestoRest set) to get Gliscor in for free to stall it and set up Cloyster.
  4. Beat Froslass
  5. Beat Chandelure/Entei2/Weezing/Spiritomb - Empoleon won't probably be able to muscle through any of them, but it can Yawn them and Scald + EQ is a KO in the case of Chandelure, which may threaten Gliscor with Infiltrator.
  6. Beat Snorlax - Suicune can probably beat it. Empoleon's typing invites Earthquake and discourages Body Slam, which lets Gliscor come in for free - if it turns out to have Immunity (and therefore doesn't have Thick Fat), you can then switch Empoleon back in, use Yawn, and switch Cloyster in on what is guaranteed to not be Body Slam (since Empoleon resists it and Snorlax has EQ), and freely Smash and KO as Yawn kicks in at the end of the turn.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm taking a break from Multis to have a shot at singles with a double Destiny Bond team (partly inspired by R Inanimate's Gengar/Blissey/Froslass Subway team). Currently I'm using Sash Gengar, Life Orb Sharpedo (can't think of any other item right now), and Retaliate M-Kang. It's pretty fun/gimmicky but I don't believe it has the capacity to make a massive streak. I'm currently only at 62 and just had my first real close call. Up against Veteran Saba (can use all sets), he leads with Registeel4 which can't touch Gengar but can spam Double Team (which he did), coupled with Leftovers meant he would stall me out unless I got lucky and hit him 4 times in a row, so I switched to Sharpedo, let him toxic me into KO range of Earthquake and Destiny Bond him. Then comes Articuno1, something else that will beat Gengar 1v1 so I spam Destiny Bond to take it out. Now it's all up to Kangaskhan against Tornadus (not sure which one, they all have Focus Blast). Kangaskhan comes up CLUTCH and survives with 2hp and takes it out with Retaliate...

If anyone wants to browse / offer advice here's the team:

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Speed
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond

Feel like she needs a moveset adjustment. Sludge Bomb's coverage sucks but is her strongest neutral move, can take out fairies that would otherwise force Sharpedo into spamming Destiny Bond though. Dazzling Gleam is for the fighting types that are a threat to both Sharpedo and Kangaskhan. Thinking I might swap in Thunderbolt for Sludge Bomb but looking for input on that

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

Second Destiny Bond user. Currently rolling with STABs, not sure if I should replace one of them with a coverage move or not. Protect is important for getting the Speed Boost on some fast threats. Wondering if I can re-EV the speed to hit a certain tier, max seemed good for tying with Darmanitan4 after a boost but not sure whether risking a 50/50 is worth it. Also have no idea what item to put in him, no item clause would solve my problems lol.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy -> Parental Bond
Jolly Nature
- Retaliate
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

I figured I needed something that could win 1v1 in a pinch so took the easy road and chose tried and tested Kangaskhan. 99% of the time it will be coming out after a Destiny Bond so Retaliate seemed like a cool option, I also have Return as a reliable choice. Earthquake is there for rock/steel types, Sucker Punch is mostly there as priority for fast things as I figured I would just hold off mega evolving against ghosts to hit them with scrappy-return, but may swap for Crunch

NoCheese

I have not thought through threats at any length, but be very careful against veterans, as if you have to trade one-for-one with both Gengar and Sharpedo, a third-Pokemon Terrakion will be trouble.

turskain

I'm taking a break from Multis to have a shot at singles with a double Destiny Bond team (partly inspired by R Inanimate's Gengar/Blissey/Froslass Subway team). Currently I'm using Sash Gengar, Life Orb Sharpedo (can't think of any other item right now), and Retaliate M-Kang. It's pretty fun/gimmicky but I don't believe it has the capacity to make a massive streak. I'm currently only at 62 and just had my first real close call. Up against Veteran Saba (can use all sets), he leads with Registeel4 which can't touch Gengar but can spam Double Team (which he did), coupled with Leftovers meant he would stall me out unless I got lucky and hit him 4 times in a row, so I switched to Sharpedo, let him toxic me into KO range of Earthquake and Destiny Bond him. Then comes Articuno1, something else that will beat Gengar 1v1 so I spam Destiny Bond to take it out. Now it's all up to Kangaskhan against Tornadus (not sure which one, they all have Focus Blast). Kangaskhan comes up CLUTCH and survives with 2hp and takes it out with Retaliate...

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond

Feel like she needs a moveset adjustment. Sludge Bomb's coverage sucks but is her strongest neutral move, can take out fairies that would otherwise force Sharpedo into spamming Destiny Bond though. Dazzling Gleam is for the fighting types that are a threat to both Sharpedo and Kangaskhan. Thinking I might swap in Thunderbolt for Sludge Bomb but looking for input on that

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

Second Destiny Bond user. Currently rolling with STABs, not sure if I should replace one of them with a coverage move or not. Protect is important for getting the Speed Boost on some fast threats. Wondering if I can re-EV the speed to hit a certain tier, max seemed good for tying with Darmanitan4 after a boost but not sure whether risking a 50/50 is worth it. Also have no idea what item to put in him, no item clause would solve my problems lol.

Jolly Nature
- Retaliate
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

I figured I needed something that could win 1v1 in a pinch so took the easy road and chose tried and tested Kangaskhan. 99% of the time it will be coming out after a Destiny Bond so Retaliate seemed like a cool option, I also have Return as a reliable choice. Earthquake is there for rock/steel types, Sucker Punch is mostly there as priority for fast things as I figured I would just hold off mega evolving against ghosts to hit them with scrappy-return, but may swap for Crunch
Mega Gengar could be a consideration so Sharpedo can have Focus Sash, since with record-breakingly low bulk, Sharpedo tends to need the Sash more and Mega Gengar's +20 in defenses make it a good bit more bulky and give it a nearly Life Orb-level damage boost. I slammed it before, but I experimented with Sharpedo/Mega Gengar briefly in Doubles and Rotations, and while I still have doubts about it and consider Sash Gengar better, in the absence of Sash, Mega Gengar can be quite acceptable, and it can even be possible to use a Modest nature for some nice power if you're running Protect to guarantee that its Mega Speed can kick in, since Modest Mega Gengar already hits 182 Speed (4 points higher than Timid regular Gengar, and enough to outspeed a lot of things).

Edit: except you're running MegaKhan, so that won't be possible. Maybe something else that's super-broken and kills everything could be used in MegaKhan's place in the last slot (like Gliscor, with Sharpedo and Gengar probably killing things that outspeed it), but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
turskain Psycho Cut, I don't think I've mentioned it in this thread but I remember discussing with VaporeonIce at some point that after you KO something, the next Pokemon the AI sends out is almost 100% dependent on how much damage it can do to you. It's basically a version of the ability Forewarn, so it deviates from a strict damage calculation depending on where the AI ranks things like Counter/Mirror Coat, Destiny Bond, OHKO moves, and Explosion (which the AI thinks is an awesome move even from something like Carbink).

For example, if I were using my Moody Glalie team against Scientist Neils and the 2nd Pokemon he sent out was Manectric 4, I would be able to rule out his 3rd Pokemon being something with a super-effective STAB move like Tyrantrum, Toxicroak, Armaldo, Carracosta, Magnezone or Archeops or an Explosion user like Skuntank or Muk. Not exactly game-breaking knowledge, but every little bit helps. This will also lead to funny results such as the AI sending in Tyrantrum after your low health Dragonite has locked itself into Outrage rather than sending in the Fairy type it has because HEAD SMASH MUCH DAMAGE.

Last edited:

turskain

turskain Psycho Cut, I don't think I've mentioned it in this thread but I remember discussing with VaporeonIce at some point that after you KO something, the next Pokemon the AI sends out is almost 100% dependent on how much damage it can do to you. It's basically a version of the ability Forewarn, so it deviates from a strict damage calculation depending on where the AI ranks things like Counter/Mirror Coat, Destiny Bond, OHKO moves, and Explosion (which the AI thinks is an awesome move even from something like Carbink).

For example, if I were using my Moody Glalie team against Scientist Neils and the 2nd Pokemon he sent out was Manectric 4, I would be able to rule out his 3rd Pokemon being something with a super-effective STAB move like Tyrantrum, Toxicroak, Armaldo, Carracosta, Magnezone or Archeops or an Explosion user like Skuntank or Muk. Not exactly game-breaking knowledge, but every little bit helps.
That's exactly right and is what I was trying to say there (with Fissure Landorus not touching Lucario and so on), but you put it much better and mentioned the "if the AI sends in something, its other switch-ins are probably worse" point clearly. In Singles, I haven't gotten any real use out of it, but it is useful in Doubles and Triples where there are more variables and larger teams and every bit of unknown you can write out is great.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have not thought through threats at any length, but be very careful against veterans, as if you have to trade one-for-one with both Gengar and Sharpedo, a third-Pokemon Terrakion will be trouble.
Yeah I've been worried about 3rd 'mon Terrakion but haven't seen it yet (I'm sure I will). I have a chance to survive and win against Terrakion 2, 3 and 4, but Close Combat from Terrakion1 means GG. Actually, I just don't want to see any of the Musteteers as the last 'mon. Virizion4 will win 1v1 as it avoids the ohko (Impish, HP/Def) and can 2hko with Sacred Sword, Cobalion4 outruns and ohko's with Close Combat as well. I basically don't want to face fighting types with Kanga... In the end, there is no pokemon that will win everything 1v1 which is obviously the fault of Destiny Bond teams. I've considered things like Dragonite, Greninja, Sawk/Donphan (Sturdy+Counter), Level 1 Aron (loses hard to ghosts), Aegislash... Lot's of stuff that can usually win in a 1v1 situation but obviously they all lose to something and when that thing pops up as a third 'mon then it's over I guess. I also thought about going adamant on Kangaskhan with 0 speed EVs (or at least dropping it from max to get some bulk) but I'm no good at deciding which speed to aim for (same with Sharpedo). Maybe Fake Out+Return is superior to the raw power of Retaliate?

Mega Gengar could be a consideration so Sharpedo can have Focus Sash, since with record-breakingly low bulk, Sharpedo tends to need the Sash more and Mega Gengar's +20 in defenses make it a good bit more bulky and give it a nearly Life Orb-level damage boost. I slammed it before, but I experimented with Sharpedo/Mega Gengar briefly in Doubles and Rotations, and while I still have doubts about it and consider Sash Gengar better, in the absence of Sash, Mega Gengar can be quite acceptable, and it can even be possible to use a Modest nature for some nice power if you're running Protect to guarantee that its Mega Speed can kick in, since Modest Mega Gengar already hits 182 Speed (4 points higher than Timid regular Gengar, and enough to outspeed a lot of things).

Edit: except you're running MegaKhan, so that won't be possible. Maybe something else that's super-broken and kills everything could be used in MegaKhan's place in the last slot (like Gliscor, with Sharpedo and Gengar probably killing things that outspeed it), but I'm not sure.
Hmmmm interesting, really hadn't given any thought to Mega Gengar at all. I figured that as a lead, Gengar needed the Sash so it can at least get an attack off, or survive to get a Destiny Bond in against a speedy foe. Sharpedo gets Speed Boost so against something quick it can Protect to get the jump on them the next turn and then Destiny Bond (what Gengar can't do). I just felt like Life Orb would provide some nice power to it's moves and since it isn't trying to stay around too long that the recoil wouldn't really matter. And yeah if I opt for Mega Gengar I'll need a new third team mate. I think I would be leaning towards Dragonite there but not sure

That's exactly right and is what I was trying to say there (with Fissure Landorus not touching Lucario and so on), but you put it much better and mentioned the "if the AI sends in something, its other switch-ins are probably worse" point clearly. In Singles, I haven't gotten any real use out of it, but it is useful in Doubles and Triples where there are more variables and larger teams and every bit of unknown you can write out is great.
Yeah, and just to clarify, damage-dealing ability is pretty much the only thing that goes into being a good/bad switch-in from the AI's perspective. I've had battles in which Glalie faced a Tyrantrum (which is outsped and potentially OHKOed even with 0 boosts) 2nd and a Magnezone (an actually troublesome Pokemon that would require me to Sub/Protect stall for Flash Cannon misses) 3rd.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

Jolly Nature
- Retaliate
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

I like it! I would have left Gengar in against Registeel; since Registeel 4 can't hit Gengar, it would probably switch out eventually. Even if it doesn't, you could probably switch-stall pretty effectively, since I imagine Registeel would avoid using its EQ and Toxic PP against Gengar. Alternatively, you could have just brought in Kangaskhan and smashed its face in with Earthquake. You'd risk Double Team misses, but you should have a few turns to hit it.

Is Dazzling Gleam ONLY for Fighting-types? If so, Psychic hits a little bit harder against everything except Scrafty and Gallade (and does notably more damage against the numerous Fire/Fighting starters; then again, Psychic doesn't OHKO Blaziken, which sucks, but at least it can put it at the point where Flare Blitz recoil makes it self-KO). I can see Gleam being good against Dragons and Dark-types, though. See if there are any Dragon- or Dark-types that feel particularly threatening to you before deciding to switch to Psychic.

When I think about threats, the first thing that comes to mind is Regigigas. It can't OHKO Gengar (252 Atk EV 100 BP Payback doesn't OHKO Gengar, because Slow Start sucks), which makes it particularly likely to use jank like Confuse Ray, throwing a huge wrench in your strategy is Gengar KOs itself (though you can switch out after Confuse Ray, confident it won't use it again). I'd also be worried about Thunder Wave; Gengar is really fast, so lots of opponents will probably try to hit it with Thunder Wave. Parahax can stop you from getting off Destiny Bond, which is really bad.

turskain , I agree with the general principle of "deducing the opponent's sets based on the order their Pokemon is sent out," but in my experience, opponents with OHKO moves aren't that predictable. The AI doesn't seem to think they're the best thing ever like they do with Explosion (I've seen Landorus 1 come out after something that does fairly mediocre damage), but it also doesn't seem to completely discount them (I've also seen Landorus 1 come out before something that, while not hugely destructive, can do a LOT more damage than its pathetic Smack Down). I'll have to look at my lists of battles to know for sure, but I would be very cautious about assuming that a second-mon Landorus against Lucario is likely to be Scarfed, for instance.

I post an ongoing streak of 125 in Super Rotation Battle. Battle Video: 8JAG-WWWW-WWW9-CE5H

I orginally started this streak only for the trophy (already got Singles with 106 and Doubles with 110), but ofcourse i finish what i start and now i am here :P

All credits goes too turskain , which team i picked to get to 50 and beyond. After a first try of 33, i finally understood the team and it is truly amazing. Only difference is the EV Spread of D-Nite, which is 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP, since i was too lazy to re-EV train it.

His team: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-80#post-5638136

I'm very curious where i will end with this team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)